PDA

View Full Version : Lawrie Reilly's Medals For sale

1875STEVE
16-08-2019, 10:01 PM
Can't see this posted anywhere else.

Lawrie Reilly's Medals are going up for sale and the Hibs Historical Trust are going to try to buy them.

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/artefacts/lawrie-reilly-s-medals

Looking for donations to help it along, Im away to donate.

Thought it was worth posting

brianmc
16-08-2019, 10:05 PM
Surely someone from the Trust should try to contact Ron Gordon/his "people"?

The positive PR for him must be worth the relatively modest outlay?

The Modfather
16-08-2019, 10:08 PM
Wonder if Craig Levein will put a bid in.

Hibs4185
16-08-2019, 10:12 PM
Where are they being sold? I’d buy them for the trust unless they were millions

Booked4Being-Ugly
16-08-2019, 10:16 PM
Good on you mate.

Hibernian32
16-08-2019, 10:20 PM

Are you Derek Mcinnes?

Hibs4185
16-08-2019, 10:22 PM
Are you Derek Mcinnes?

If I was then I’ve fallen for the old switcheroo and Funso Ojo would be playing for us instead of Vela

Pagan Hibernia
16-08-2019, 10:23 PM
Surely sometime from the Trust should try to contact Ron Gordon/his "people"?

yeah he should pony up

1875STEVE
16-08-2019, 10:30 PM

Think it's possibly an auction

Hibs4185
16-08-2019, 10:45 PM
I’ve checked local auctions but can’t see them.

Normally the seller would let an interested party know-the trust, and drum up interest but I can only see interest coming from the trust and hibs fans.

Hopefully we can avoid bidding against each other for the same purpose.

Rocky
16-08-2019, 10:52 PM

Normally the seller would let an interested party know-the trust, and drum up interest but I can only see interest coming from the trust and hibs fans.

I saw it on Twitter - it's Thomson Roddick if that helps. Lovely gesture, well played sir.

Itsnoteasy
16-08-2019, 10:57 PM
Thomson Roddick Auctioneers are delighted to present for auction two Scottish League Championship medals won by Hibernian Football club forward and Scotland internationalist Lawrance "Lawrie" Reilly (1928-2013).

The Auction will take place on the 22nd August at Thomson Roddick's Rosewell (Edinburgh) branch as part of the Collector's Auction of Coins, Medals, Militaria, Toys etc. with online bidding available at the Thomson Roddick website or on independent bidding platforms thesaleroom.com and

vahibbie
16-08-2019, 11:18 PM

Lot 223, estimate of £1000-£2000

wpj
16-08-2019, 11:38 PM
Lot 223, estimate of £1000-£2000

Be a great gesture for the club to purchase them to display

Theinsider
17-08-2019, 01:21 AM
[QUOTE=vahibbie;5891250]Lot 223, estimate

Will take both at that price and they can be kept somewhere inside the stadium. If the club agree of course. That said its and auction so let's get what we can for them.

Theinsider
17-08-2019, 01:23 AM

I am sure between us and others we can work this out. Same outcome wanted.

bigwheel
17-08-2019, 04:19 AM
I am sure between us and others we can work this out. Same outcome wanted.

Let’s make sure people with same vision aren’t outbidding each other :) ....

Conrad Gray
17-08-2019, 06:38 AM
Let’s make sure people with same vision aren’t outbidding each other :) ....

I think the only way to do this, would be donate to the Trust and let them do their stuff.

Smartie
17-08-2019, 07:10 AM

I think even he now knows he'd be unlikely to win at the auction.

Fergos
17-08-2019, 08:01 AM
Maybe one for our fans rep to pick and and work with the club to ensure they go to right home ie ER.

GGTTH

Bostonhibby
17-08-2019, 08:15 AM
Donating direct to the Trust might be the way to go here?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
17-08-2019, 08:16 AM
Can't see this posted anywhere else.

Lawrie Reilly's Medals are going up for sale and the Hibs Historical Trust are going to try to buy them.

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/artefacts/lawrie-reilly-s-medals

Looking for donations to help it along, Im away to donate.

Thought it was worth postingDone

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

superfurryhibby
17-08-2019, 08:42 AM
These are part of our clubs heritage. They should be purchased by Hibs and kept for posterity.

Conrad Gray
17-08-2019, 08:47 AM
From the HHT Page -

The Hibernian Historical Trust - an Independent Charity, based in Easter Road Stadium, was formed to protect, display and acquire Hibernian memorabilia. One of its aims is to ensure that important artefacts are secured, displayed and are available for the Hibernian family to see and observe at the home of our Club. In the past, it has acquired a number of important medals and awards for our collection, including the complete set of medals won by Gordon Smith.

The Trust is aware of the forthcoming sale of Lawrie Reilly’s League Championship medals and intends to bid with a view to obtaining them and having them on display at Easter Road. A number of generous supporters have pledged financial support to supplement the funds we have available.

The Trust believes that obtaining these medals and their display at Easter Road is important for all Hibernian supporters rather than them being purchased for a private collection, although this remains a possibility.

Anyone who wishes to assist us can make a donation on our website using the PayPal button - http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/about/make-a-donation

Theinsider
17-08-2019, 11:10 AM
Excellent. Will be donating direct to the trust.

Kojock
17-08-2019, 11:11 AM
Donation made.

Pagan Hibernia
17-08-2019, 11:12 AM
Donated. We need to keep the family silver in the family.

G B Young
17-08-2019, 11:14 AM
Thomson Roddick Auctioneers are delighted to present for auction two Scottish League Championship medals won by Hibernian Football club forward and Scotland internationalist Lawrance "Lawrie" Reilly (1928-2013).

The Auction will take place on the 22nd August at Thomson Roddick's Rosewell (Edinburgh) branch as part of the Collector's Auction of Coins, Medals, Militaria, Toys etc. with online bidding available at the Thomson Roddick website or on independent bidding platforms thesaleroom.com and

I believe the third one is on display at Boroughmuir High School, where Lawrie was a pupil. I'm guessing his family donated it to the school.

Cataplana
17-08-2019, 11:19 AM
Surely someone from the Trust should try to contact Ron Gordon/his "people"?

I would never buy a football club, as people expect you to put your hand pocket for everything.

Conrad Gray
17-08-2019, 11:19 AM
I believe the third one is on display at Boroughmuir High School, where Lawrie was a pupil. I'm guessing his family donated it to the school.

I was under the impression that he didn't qualify for the first medal due to age or number of appearances. I may be wrong - can anyone confirm?

If there is a medal at the school is anyone aware of it??

Sudds_1
17-08-2019, 11:22 AM
I just hope the Reilly family havmt fallen on hard times leading them to sell his medals. If so hibs should step in with a benefit match for one of our true legends!

G B Young
17-08-2019, 11:26 AM
I was under the impression that he didn't qualify for the first medal due to age or number of appearances. I may be wrong - can anyone confirm?

If there is a medal at the school is anyone aware of it??

I may be wrong. I was told there's a display cabinet there commemorating some of the school's famous former pupils (think Tommy Preston also attended) and that some of Lawrie's memorabilia is on display including a medal. Maybe it's an international medal of some sort.

Gerard
17-08-2019, 11:43 AM
Donation made

Pagan Hibernia
17-08-2019, 11:55 AM
I would never buy a football club, as people expect you to put your hand pocket for everything.

as well they should. If they want the benefits, whatever those might be of owning a club, they can pay for the privilege and continue paying. The supporters certainly pay plenty every year

Sudds_1
17-08-2019, 12:19 PM
as well they should. If they want the benefits, whatever those might be of owning a club, they can pay for the privilege and continue paying. The supporters certainly pay plenty every year

Aint that the truth! 🙄

Cataplana
17-08-2019, 02:17 PM

What benefits?

w pilton hibby
17-08-2019, 02:32 PM
What benefits?

Other people expecting you to pay for everything.

Pagan Hibernia
17-08-2019, 02:51 PM
What benefits?

That’ll be a question for Ron Gordon. Because he certainly hasn’t bought Hibs for no reason

Cataplana
17-08-2019, 02:53 PM
That’ll be a question for Ron Gordon. Because he certainly hasn’t bought Hibs for no reason

No I can't think of any either

brog
17-08-2019, 05:02 PM
Good to see a pleasant thread & as ever it looks like The Hibs family will rally round to ensure the right result. Like some others I was going to inquire 're the possibility of purchasing but the HHT option seems better & certainly cheaper!! Off to donate now.

Pagan Hibernia
17-08-2019, 10:39 PM
No I can't think of any either

yes he clearly has got involved because he’s a life long fan (not true) or he sees some way of making money out of it (unlikely but not impossible)

either way hes the the one who should be paying for the privilege of ownership

Cataplana
18-08-2019, 07:48 AM
yes he clearly has got involved because he’s a life long fan (not true) or he sees some way of making money out of it (unlikely but not impossible)

What privileges?

Pagan Hibernia
18-08-2019, 09:17 AM
What privileges?

having your name associated with a wonderful, charismatic, sexy old institution like Hibernian Football Club of course. What else.

Eyrie
18-08-2019, 09:47 AM
What privileges?

The opportunity to be blamed for everything, but mostly for an unwillingness to throw away your entire fortune on a football club.

BILLYHIBS
18-08-2019, 09:50 AM
What about collection buckets at Saturdays home game versus St Johnstone for HHT to purchase these medals on behalf of the club

Conrad Gray
18-08-2019, 11:31 AM
These Medals belong at Easter Road, preserved for the current Hibs Community and future generations.

There seems to be significant support on here for this to happen. The only way to ensure this though, is to make sure the HHT are in a position to do so.

If you haven't already and are in a position to do so, please donate at the following link -

www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/about/make-a-donation

Cataplana
18-08-2019, 11:53 AM
having your name associated with a wonderful, charismatic, sexy old institution like Hibernian Football Club of course. What else.

That sounds more like a Tindr profile, to be fair. :greengrin

whiskyhibby
18-08-2019, 12:18 PM
Donation made hopefully the Historical trust, or someone who will allow them to be displayed at ER will secure them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

malcolm
19-08-2019, 08:16 AM

Is your own world just one of black and white since you limit his reason to just two possibilities? A bit like always limiting your decision making to the outcome of the toss of a coin? I don’t think you do as you note the improbability of both!

How to encourage investment into a football club is not to tell the potential investor that he or she will never be able to finish paying for the privilege of partial ownership.

Mind you the idea that Ron could see the kudos of contributing to securing these medals is perhaps not far fetched - he may yet get his own pony up for that without it being a coin toss that landed on and balanced on its edge :greengrin

hibbyfraelibby
19-08-2019, 08:23 AM
I think the only way to do this, would be donate to the Trust and let them do their stuff.

Correct we dont want a bidding war between paryies all with the same interest.

Conrad Gray
19-08-2019, 01:12 PM

CMurdoch
19-08-2019, 01:45 PM
It's a shame the Reilly family hadn't gone to the HHT.
Could have cut out giving a wedge to the middleman and HHT could have given the family the top end of the estimate

Cataplana
19-08-2019, 01:54 PM
Correct we dont want a bidding war between paryies all with the same interest.

Although the family might. :wink:

Gogs07
19-08-2019, 10:51 PM
Donation made to the trust,. It would be great to have the medals on display as part of the stadium tour in memory of the great man. :agree:

Allant1981
20-08-2019, 06:46 AM
I'm hoping to head along on Thursday, there are a couple of other items I have my eye on, will be interesting to see what these medals go for

Gatecrasher
20-08-2019, 08:51 AM
Donation made. Good luck!

Biggie
20-08-2019, 12:50 PM
Levein will be all over this...."medals for sale aye?"

ancient hibee
20-08-2019, 03:59 PM
Could have cut out giving a wedge to the middleman and HHT could have given the family the top end of the estimate

What makes you think the Reilly family are selling them?

Allant1981
20-08-2019, 04:05 PM
What makes you think the Reilly family are selling them?

Who owns them?

ancient hibee
20-08-2019, 04:54 PM
Who owns them?

Could be anybody.The first sale notice I saw described the seller as an investor.They have been kicking around for over 60 years after all.

merchiston
20-08-2019, 06:11 PM
I just hope the Reilly family havmt fallen on hard times leading them to sell his medals. If so hibs should step in with a benefit match for one of our true legends!

As someone who doesn't post on social media (77yo) I feel compelled to air my view on one of the greatest Scottish players (no correction British great). I watched the famous 5 when they played against Djurgardens, Ross Weiss Essen, and Rheims. Both Reilly and Smith would have been worth fortunes if they had been around today Modern day salaries are an obscenity but paradoxically it was scandalous the way the greats of yesteryear were treated especially playing in front of much larger crowds than now.

tamig
20-08-2019, 06:26 PM
Donation made.

Itsnoteasy
20-08-2019, 10:37 PM

Maybe they did & didn't offer enough. HHT don't have an endless budget & only offer what is affordable. They were outbid on the George Best bukta strip for this same reason.

CMurdoch
20-08-2019, 10:47 PM
Maybe they did & didn't offer enough. HHT don't have an endless budget & only offer what is affordable. They were outbid on the George Best bukta strip for this same reason.

I'm pretty sure HHT could have got a couple of grand together in a week with an appeal on here if they said what it was for.
As usual without being ITK we don't know what has and hasn't happened.

The main man at HHT is a great guy. I love listening to him chat about the exhibits.

Itsnoteasy
20-08-2019, 11:32 PM
I'm pretty sure HHT could have got a couple of grand together in a week with an appeal on here if they said what it was for.
As usual without being ITK we don't know what has and hasn't happened.

The main man at HHT is a great guy. I love listening to him chat about the exhibits.

He certainly knows his stuff.

CMurdoch
20-08-2019, 11:44 PM
He certainly knows his stuff.

Tom's patter is pretty good as well

one day maybe...
21-08-2019, 12:31 AM
What is the expected value for the medals just out of interest?

Hibernian32
21-08-2019, 02:58 AM
Don't understand why hibs are letting us all donate, the club is more than weathly enough to afford a legends medals they should just buy them outright quiet ridiculous

Allant1981
21-08-2019, 02:59 AM
What is the expected value for the medals just out of interest?

Between 1 and 2 grand

Gatecrasher
21-08-2019, 05:28 AM
Don't understand why hibs are letting us all donate, the club is more than weathly enough to afford a legends medals they should just buy them outright quiet ridiculous

Didn't you know we have to pony up? :rolleyes:

Itsnoteasy
21-08-2019, 10:18 AM

Along with .net paying for Scottish Cup image on the side of FF upper. Next it will be The Famous 5 bronze statue. We are all just a number these days & taken for granted.

Bright_Hibee
21-08-2019, 11:49 AM
Hopefully the HHT get them. The medals belong at Easter Road. My dad's favourite player too. Hopefully the club can contribute too.

Gie the baw tae Reilly!

scoopyboy
21-08-2019, 11:57 AM
Couldn't help myself, just had to go onto the website and view them.

Quite surprised to find that the two medals were completely different.

Here’s Lucy!
21-08-2019, 01:12 PM

:greengrin

He won’t, medals terrify the living daylights out of him.

Conrad Gray
21-08-2019, 02:51 PM
I am very keen to see these where they belong. There seems to be a number of people on here that have donated - thank you all very much.

If you are thinking of donating, can I respectfully ask that you do so shortly as the auction is tomorrow. I am keen that HHT has as much funding as possible to ensure a successful bid.

Thanks again.

LeithSqualk
22-08-2019, 11:39 AM
Sold for £12000

LeithSqualk
22-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Wonder if the Rangers bought them to claim another couple titles

04Sauzee
22-08-2019, 11:44 AM
Between 1 and 2 grand

and sold for 12K?

tanfield
22-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Trust managed to acquire them I believe 👍

tamig
22-08-2019, 12:02 PM

Is that £12k figure correct?

HibbyDave
22-08-2019, 12:04 PM
Defo 12k successful bid.

CRAZYHIBBY
22-08-2019, 12:06 PM
Who was selling them?

Hibeewilly
22-08-2019, 12:14 PM
That's great news👍

Pagan Hibernia
22-08-2019, 12:16 PM

jesus that is good news. My heart sank when I saw the £12k figure, didn’t think there’s any way the trust would have that kind of cash

tamig
22-08-2019, 12:26 PM
jesus that is good news. My heart sank when I saw the £12k figure, didn’t think there’s any way the trust would have that kind of cash

Think they received some good donations thanks to this thread.

BILLYHIBS
22-08-2019, 12:28 PM
Brilliant news

Might do the stadium tour again

Allant1981
22-08-2019, 12:33 PM
and sold for 12K?

Yip crazy, the guide was between 1 and 2, auctioneer must have been loving it

Conrad Gray
22-08-2019, 01:36 PM
A big thanks to everyone who has contributed towards the successful purchase of the medals.

If you are haven't already and would like to support the HHT, donations can still be made at

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/about/make-a-donation

Iggy Pope
22-08-2019, 01:48 PM
I wonder when the club might get its arse into gear and get a museum off the ground. They spoke about it as far back as the Hibs 100 stuff, maybe further back. I know we do exhibits, I know we have the tour and the stuff in the Gallery. But the HHT and hopefully the club must have items not on display that could be, as witnessed on previous exhibits (Gordon Smith, Euro 50th etc).
Lawries medals should be alongside Gordon Smiths and paying a couple of quid for the privilege to gawp at these and other artefacts might get some of the outlay back. Hearts appear to have a museum package going, commercially so should we.
I went to an HHT fundraising dinner several years back but haven’t seen much since.

Great effort by the HHT team in getting these though. If anyone’s looking in is there such a thing as an inventory of the items held in trust? I’m very curious and know there’s people out there who might have nice items to donate but remain a bit wary.

GloryGlory
22-08-2019, 02:00 PM
Who was selling them?

I don't know but I'm not sure why they couldn't have been bought by HHT or Hibs by private treaty. That way, buyer and seller could have avoided paying the auctioneer's commission plus VAT.

Carheenlea
22-08-2019, 02:15 PM
I’m curious to know who the HHT would have been bidding against - you would think any Hibs minded person would wish for such a collection to be in the hands of the club or the Historical Trust.

Iggy Pope
22-08-2019, 02:19 PM
I’m curious to know who the HHT would have been bidding against - you would think any Hibs minded person would wish for such a collection to be in the hands of the club or the Historical Trust.

There appear to be serious collectors of Hibs memorabilia out there with money to spend.

ian cruise
22-08-2019, 02:22 PM
I don't know but I'm not sure why they couldn't have been bought by HHT or Hibs by private treaty. That way, buyer and seller could have avoided paying the auctioneer's commission plus VAT.

I'm guessing the very fact the guide price was 1 - 2k and they went for 12k is the reason why the seller would prefer the auction scenario?

Conrad Gray
22-08-2019, 05:00 PM
HHT have obtained an important item of our heritage today. The medals will now be preserved for future generations.

A big thanks to the HHT and to all who have contributed. If you still wish to make a contribution, it's not too late, you can do so at

Smartie
22-08-2019, 05:15 PM

Craig Levein was apparently in the running all the way to £11900 but 5hat his keks at the critical moment and had to be escorted, sobbing, from the auction hall.

Fergos
22-08-2019, 05:50 PM
Well done to all concerned and those at HHT for securing, only one place these should be and that’s ER.

GGTTH

Sean1875
22-08-2019, 06:05 PM
Well done to all concerned and those at HHT for securing, only one place these should be and that’s ER.

GGTTH

Agreed, great to hear the medals are where they belong now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Itsnoteasy
22-08-2019, 06:07 PM
Defo 12k successful bid.

So the total would have been in excess of 13-14K with auctioneers fees & vat.

Cheshire Hibby
22-08-2019, 06:07 PM
Well done all involved.

Sergey
22-08-2019, 06:24 PM
So the total would have been in excess of 13-14K with auctioneers fees & vat.

Probably closer to £15k if commission is 20%. You only pay VAT on the commission, not the sale price.

Edit: Just checked the auction house. 17.5% commission so £14,520 all-in.

Itsnoteasy
22-08-2019, 06:24 PM
I'm surprised they had those kind of funds unless Ron put his hands in his pocket.

3 years ago they pulled out the bidding for George Best worn Hibs top at £450 as the funds were tight, or maybe they felt that was the maximum it was worth.

whiskyhibby
22-08-2019, 06:28 PM
I'm surprised they had those kind of funds unless Ron put his hands in his pocket.

3 years ago they pulled out the bidding for George Best worn Hibs top at £450 as the funds were tight, or maybe they felt that was the maximum it was worth.

Quite a few people made donations, some significant is what the talk is , I made a modest one, so perhaps they did by them with only Hibs fans funds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lugz
22-08-2019, 06:55 PM
12k is a crazy price but congratulations to the foundation for securing them. As others have said must have been some cracking donations.

One Day In Time
23-08-2019, 11:08 PM
Part of our rich history secured for future generations. Well done all

wookie70
23-08-2019, 11:17 PM
I missed this so never donated. I d love to think we could start a fund for this type of thing so when items are put up for sale perhaps individuals could sell to the club direct or, as 8n this case, the club can be the highest bidder.

One Day In Time
23-08-2019, 11:30 PM
I missed this so never donated. I d love to think we could start a fund for this type of thing so when items are put up for sale perhaps individuals could sell to the club direct or, as 8n this case, the club can be the highest bidder.

I think that’s a great idea. We need to preserve our history for future generations of Hibees

Conrad Gray
23-08-2019, 11:55 PM

Donation s can still be made at -

One Day In Time
24-08-2019, 12:25 AM

Thank you m. Donation on its way

Iggy Pope
24-08-2019, 12:50 PM

Returned your PM....:aok: