PDA

View Full Version : Shelley Kerr

Northernhibee
16-08-2019, 11:40 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49363291

Has a few drinks, has a team meeting that reduces some players to tears shortly after.

When we have neds like this in charge of a national team is it any wonder we're unsuccessful as a footballing nation?

Monts
16-08-2019, 11:42 AM

Has a few drinks, has a team meeting that reduces some players to tears shortly after.

When we have neds like this in charge of a national team is it any wonder we're unsuccessful as a footballing nation?

I bet SAF never had any harsh words for his players...

Antifa Hibs
16-08-2019, 11:45 AM

We not equals? Or you not allowed to tear into lassie's incase they start greeting? :cb

hibsbollah
She's one of those managers who speaks well, I've heard her sound very motivational and inspiring, but tactically lacking. At least she was at the World Cup.
I'd like to know how much drink was involved before jumping to conclusions, did she down 12 pints and vomit all over Jen Beattie or did she just have a couple of pinot grigios?

Pedantic_Hibee
I’ve called a few family meetings when I’ve been in the midst of a comedown. This may explain why I don’t live with my partner anymore.

Pretty Boy
16-08-2019, 11:46 AM
I don't understand what she was thinking at all. The game management left a lot to be desired, from players and managers alike, but apportioning blame when things were still so raw just seems bizarre. If she's admitting alcohol influenced her decision making, which it reads like she is, then that's a whole different ball game.

It's going to be interesting to watch how the team bounce back from the WC and whether she has lost the dressing room.

Smartie
16-08-2019, 11:51 AM
I can't really see what the big issue is here.

Football teams everywhere have a bit of bevvy and the odd difference of opinion.

Hopefully this isn't too sexist, but I'd imagine an uncomfortable exchange of words would be more likely to lead to tears in womens football - tears that may have been suggestive of an immediate state of upset but not necessarily indicative of a greater long term problem.

I quite liked the way Kerr came across on TV around the World Cup, in spite of her club allegiances.

Northernhibee
16-08-2019, 11:51 AM
We not equals? Or you not allowed to tear into lassie's incase they start greeting? :cb

I also never liked Terry Butcher or Neil Lennon ripping right into our players either.

Northernhibee
16-08-2019, 11:54 AM
I don't understand what she was thinking at all. The game management left a lot to be desired, from players and managers alike, but apportioning blame when things were still so raw just seems bizarre. If she's admitting alcohol influenced her decision making, which it reads like she is, then that's a whole different ball game.

It's going to be interesting to watch how the team bounce back from the WC and whether she has lost the dressing room.

This is also it. Her tactics were terrible. For us to be three up with about twenty minutes to go and crash out is unbelievable.

Saying "everyone likes a drink" in football doesn't excuse it. She's supposed to be a leader. What an awful example to set to the team.

Sean1875
16-08-2019, 11:56 AM
Damn Jambos.

Just Jimmy
16-08-2019, 11:57 AM
she should have been sacked after the world cup. she was very poor and tactically nieve. in addition the public spat with solo made her look silly.

then this.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The Harp Awakes
16-08-2019, 11:57 AM
Thought she looked a bit disheveled and was evasive in the bbc interview last night and didn't come across very well.

Other than that, just sounds like a typical bust up between manager and players which happens every day in football.

ahibby
16-08-2019, 11:58 AM
This is also it. Her tactics were terrible. For us to be three up with about twenty minutes to go and crash out is unbelievable.

Saying "everyone likes a drink" in football doesn't excuse it. She's supposed to be a leader. What an awful example to set to the team.

I agree that her tactics cost us progression and she had a cheek to blame it all on certain players which she seems to have done. What makes it worse is that according to reports her tirade was fuelled by having too many. I'd get shot but the SFA don't seem to be up for that so we will just have to wait until she blows the Europe's for the inevitable. I'm glad I don't have a manager that get's tanked up before meetings.

JimBHibees
16-08-2019, 11:59 AM

Seems a really unfortunate thing to have happened. Not the smartest thing to do after what was the teams best performance in the tournament last 15 mins aside. There were enough positives to be taken from the final game to not really focus on any negatives either from the coaches or the players. Would be a shame if this diverted attention from their next tournament. Should be an apology given and move on.

lord bunberry
16-08-2019, 12:00 PM
Steve Clarke rarely looks sober, maybe they’re drinking buddies.

Since452
16-08-2019, 12:00 PM
Lennon out

green day
16-08-2019, 12:02 PM
I can't really see what the big issue is here.

Football teams everywhere have a bit of bevvy and the odd difference of opinion.

Hopefully this isn't too sexist, but I'd imagine an uncomfortable exchange of words would be more likely to lead to tears in womens football - tears that may have been suggestive of an immediate state of upset but not necessarily indicative of a greater long term problem.

I quite liked the way Kerr came across on TV around the World Cup, in spite of her club allegiances.

Aye, but it wasnt that they went for a few beers afterwards - thats accepted as being a decent and sensible thing to do.

Then, perhaps a day or so later, sit down with the players and discuss what went wrong.

The chat seems to be that - after some bevvies, she decided to have an immediate "debrief" of the tournament and ripped into some players.

Wasnt the time to do that, pretty unprofessional - she may not survive this.

Hibernia&Alba
16-08-2019, 12:12 PM
Gets bevvied then has the team meeting. You can't get more Scottish than that. :greengrin

JimBHibees
16-08-2019, 12:23 PM

Bit harsh as sounds like no one has any real idea what happened. May have tried to have a meeting and an argument kicked off and she said some things that she wouldn't have wanted to. Seems like she was aware that she had some responsibility.

The 90+2
16-08-2019, 12:24 PM
Gets bevvied then has the team meeting. You can't get more Scottish than that. :greengrin

“And ahlll tell you this boy!!!, erm girl”!!

500miles
16-08-2019, 12:26 PM
Big deal, it's a passionate game, move on, apologise and don't make a habit of it.

Keith_M
16-08-2019, 12:33 PM
The chat seems to be that - after some bevvies, she decided to have an immediate "debrief"

Wow! This gets more shocking by the minute.

Do the players have a case for sexual harassment?

Cataplana
16-08-2019, 12:33 PM
What did she do, tear into them for not making any substitutions ?

Nakedmanoncrack
16-08-2019, 12:36 PM
she should have been sacked after the world cup. she was very poor and tactically nieve. in addition the public spat with solo made her look silly.

then this.

Hard to imagine a manager of the mens team surviving in similar circumstances, she failed and should face the consequences.

Future17
16-08-2019, 12:36 PM
There's nothing wrong with having a few drinks to wind down, provided you're not using alcohol as a "crutch".

It's personal preference, but I don't think there's anything wrong with criticising players, provided it's done with forethought and with a planned reaction in mind.

The problem here is that, by combining the two elements, even if SK didn't lose control of the "debrief" session itself, she opened herself up to losing control of the narrative around it.

WhileTheChief..
16-08-2019, 12:40 PM
She was on Sportsound last night talking about it.

Her and some coaching staff went for a meal the day after the last game and had a couple of drinks.

They then had a de-brief meeting afterwords.

Hardly a big deal.

green day
16-08-2019, 12:40 PM
Wow! This gets more shocking by the minute.

Do the players have a case for sexual harassment?

:greengrin I did wonder if anyone would pick up on my double entendre :aok:

fiolex1
16-08-2019, 12:46 PM
If you addressed your team drunk in any other business, you’d be sacked!

Green Badger
16-08-2019, 12:55 PM
She was on Sportsound last night talking about it.

Her and some coaching staff went for a meal the day after the last game and had a couple of drinks.

They then had a de-brief meeting afterwords.

Hardly a big deal.

Maybe not a big deal, but an error of judgement that might cost her the Scotland job longer term.

Did they say whether the de-brief was scheduled, in which case having a bevvy beforehand was ill advised, or if it was impromptu following said few drinks?

bawheid
16-08-2019, 12:56 PM

Exactly! It doesn’t look great. The idea that it would be fine for a professional manager to have a few drinks before a team meeting went out of date in the 1980s.

The circumstances are everything here but if she got bevvied and then called an impromptu meeting where she then tore her players a new one... well, she should be sacked.

Shrekko
16-08-2019, 12:58 PM
Be an absolute outrage if a male coach did this. Whatever happened, its been said that a number of the players actually considered their international futures after it- these aren't daft wee lassies, a number of them are full time pro's.

Her tactics were absolutely terrible and she came across really poorly at the World Cup as well, but seeing as we're determined to make her into some kind of national hero and role model its been glossed over. I'm sure the SNWT can get a far better leader who'll produce better results.

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2019, 12:59 PM
Man up FFS

Northernhibee
16-08-2019, 01:04 PM
Man up FFS

What?

Danderhall Hibs
16-08-2019, 01:05 PM
Exactly! It doesn’t look great. The idea that it would be fine for a professional manager to have a few drinks before a team meeting went out of date in the 1980s.

The circumstances are everything here but if she got bevvied and then called an impromptu meeting where she then tore her players a new one... well, she should be sacked.

I’m sure I read that the meeting was the day after she had been for a few drinks. Has that changed?

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-08-2019, 01:06 PM
Looks to me that she was tipped off that this was going to be a front page story and she is trying to put out the fire before it fully catches. Would not be a bit surprised if she has a "re-think " and steps down with apologies to make way for Scott Booth.

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2019, 01:32 PM
What?

When Paul Gascoigne cried after getting booked, the whole country laughed and told him to man up, should i have said woman up instead?

Do women shout woman on when they are talking to their teammates?

overdrive
16-08-2019, 01:32 PM
Typical Jambo

Northernhibee
16-08-2019, 01:35 PM
When Paul Gascoigne cried after getting booked, the whole country laughed and told him to man up, should i have said woman up instead?

Tell you what, come back to this thread when you've got intelligent discourse to make. As it is, what you're saying has **** all to do with the actual topic of debate but just a bunch of moaning and sulking as per.

GonzoReturns
16-08-2019, 01:48 PM

then this.

Agree she had an excellent chance (could be the best chance for a generation) to progress. Her tactics cost us and to blame players after the event intoxicated (presumably on expenses) isn’t clever.

vuefrom1875
16-08-2019, 01:50 PM
She's one of those managers who speaks well, I've heard her sound very motivational and inspiring, but tactically lacking. At least she was at the World Cup.
I'd like to know how much drink was involved before jumping to conclusions, did she down 12 pints and vomit all over Jen Beattie or did she just have a couple of pinot grigios?
Pinot to posh for her...more like Buckie 😎

GonzoReturns
16-08-2019, 01:51 PM
Pinot to posh for her...more like Buckie 😎

Hey nothing wrong with Buckie 😂😂😂

JimBHibees
16-08-2019, 01:52 PM
Typical Jambo

Think Rangers fan

JimBHibees
16-08-2019, 01:53 PM

Can you really blame a coach for a team losing 3 late goals? Surely players have more to do with it.

lord bunberry
16-08-2019, 01:55 PM

If you walked about blowing snot out of your beak and shouting and swearing at other team members in any other business you’d be sacked. Normal rules don’t apply in football.

RoYO!
16-08-2019, 01:59 PM
A manager can go off on one in a team meeting. They can single folk out. They can be raging.

However, if they are pished whilst doing all this then they should face disciplinary action. You wouldn’t take it from your boss. Neither should they. If that is indeed what has happened.

GonzoReturns
16-08-2019, 01:59 PM
Can you really blame a coach for a team losing 3 late goals? Surely players have more to do with it.

Depends on what the coach/manager is telling the players. It was obvious that a few players had given their all and were struggling. From recollection (happy to be corrected) I thought her substitutions were poor and should have been made earlier.

RoYO!
16-08-2019, 02:04 PM

Mindset plays a massive part in them losing those goals. That’s down to the management team to identify the weakness and do something about. Obviously the players have to shoulder the blame too.

The 90+2
16-08-2019, 02:09 PM
Think Rangers fan

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/shelleys-heroes-history-making-uni-stirling-4082413.amp

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-08-2019, 02:16 PM
Man up FFS

Surprised you've only landed one fish so far! 😁

Since90+2
16-08-2019, 02:32 PM
I’m sure I read that the meeting was the day after she had been for a few drinks. Has that changed?

They had a few drinks with a meal then had a team meeting that day/evening, not the following day.

Danderhall Hibs
16-08-2019, 03:28 PM
They had a few drinks with a meal then had a team meeting that day/evening, not the following day.

Fair enough - sounds poor.

It’d be interesting to know if anything she said was incorrect though? Obviously the bevvy loosens your tongue but if she kept to the facts...

overdrive
16-08-2019, 03:29 PM
Think Rangers fan

Definite Jambo. Calls them “we”, “us”, etc. when punditing on their matches.

The 90+2
16-08-2019, 03:34 PM

Get her sacked. ***** tactics first two games (having a go when behind), no subs the last, gets smashed and takes it out on the players.

Can you imagine just for a minute if this was McLeish in charge of the men’s team before he was sacked?

JimBHibees
16-08-2019, 04:45 PM

Think she is an Alan Preston supported Rangers now 'supports' Hearts Jambo :greengrin

ahibby
16-08-2019, 08:25 PM
Ha ha 3 0 up and we havent even used our subs yet. Oh wait a minute s***. Oops hicup. Wine talking if u ask me and if u dont ...... hicup.

The Wireless
16-08-2019, 08:30 PM

She would pick on the wrong girl if she boked on big Jen 😉😉

cabbageandribs1875
16-08-2019, 08:48 PM
Think she is an Alan Preston supported Rangers now 'supports' Hearts Jambo :greengrin

there's really no difference anyway tbf

cabbageandribs1875
16-08-2019, 08:50 PM
only one person was to blame for us not making it through the group stage, 3-0 and she mucked it up

16-08-2019, 09:26 PM
A sober Jambo is bad enough but a drunk one....

chrisski33
16-08-2019, 09:41 PM

She wasnt drunk. Tbh what they did wasnt proffessional at all.

Sammy7nil
16-08-2019, 09:57 PM
Man up FFS

Tell you what, come back to this thread when you've got intelligent discourse to make. As it is, what you're saying has **** all to do with the actual topic of debate but just a bunch of moaning and sulking as per.

Surprised you've only landed one fish so far! 😁

Ha ha :tee hee: :tee hee: :tee hee:

The Baldmans Comb
17-08-2019, 05:53 AM
How is she still in her job after the world cup I will never know.

Utterly froze under pressure and panicked and was totally lost in the very simple task of how to see out a game when so far in front.

I am amazed any of the players have any respect for her and no doubt a few didn't take kindly by being lectured to by a half cut imposter.

bigwheel
17-08-2019, 07:53 AM
How is she still in her job after the world cup I will never know.

Utterly froze under pressure and panicked and was totally lost in the very simple task of how to see out a game when so far in front.

I am amazed any of the players have any resoect for her and no doubt a few didn't take kindly by being lectured to by a half cut imposter.

Not sure about that point...but when a head coach has lost some trust and respect of the players...it’s very hard to repair..will be challenging for her to stay in role in the long term ...

Beefster
17-08-2019, 08:12 AM
Without knowing how many drinks she had, it’s difficult to judge. Doesn’t seem to have stopped lots of folk, mind you. There’s a world of difference between having a couple of beers and having two bottles of wine before getting right on the tequila.

bigwheel
17-08-2019, 08:23 AM
Without knowing how many drinks she had, it’s difficult to judge. Doesn’t seem to have stopped lots of folk, mind you. There’s a world of difference between having a couple of beers and having two bottles of wine before getting right on the tequila.

I’m not sure it’s about volume of drinks - if she had some of the team in tears and considering not playing for her again..that’s not a healthy impact ..also the fact hat she is saying that she wouldn’t do it again, suggests that drink had some
Influence in her impact. Tough position to be in ....

Brightside
17-08-2019, 08:23 AM
Shame her squad for the latest games is still full of the old stagers. She has her favs to the detriment of the team imo.

Sir David Gray
17-08-2019, 08:48 AM

Alcohol, as I'm sure you'll know, has different effects on different people. A couple of beers to some people may be enough to tip them over the edge.

If she intended holding a team meeting so soon after her side had been knocked out of the World Cup in the way that they were, then it's clear that emotions would have been running high.

There's no way that any alcohol should have been consumed, regardless of the quantity, before holding such a meeting.

One Day
17-08-2019, 08:51 AM

Neds, realy. Probably told a few home truths, as I suspect the players may have done as well. Its maybe what was needed to clear the air.

bigwheel
17-08-2019, 09:01 AM

Neds?? Where did that come from ?

JimBHibees
17-08-2019, 09:04 AM

It is a bit difficult to tell without really getting the full story. Sounds like a pr move by sfa no doubt possibly the story coming out. Might just have been a night out with the squad and a few arguments kicked off rather than a meeting as such.

Think Kerr has had a bit too much criticism to be honest re the World Cup not always as easy as it sometimes looks from the tv.

Allant1981
17-08-2019, 09:04 AM

She is certainly not a ned, have known Shelley and most of her family for years, a bit out of order with this comment

Billy Whizz
17-08-2019, 09:05 AM
She is certainly not a ned, have known Shelley and most of her family for years, a bit out of order with this comment

Comes across to me as a really passionate person

overdrive
17-08-2019, 09:39 AM
Comes across to me as a really passionate person

Really? Whenever I’ve seen her on TV (admittedly not a lot), I thought she came across as a bit dour and uninspiring.

Baader
17-08-2019, 09:51 AM
Looks bad. Just a silly thing to do. In her own words she'd had "a few drinks" before reportedly upsetting her players.

Not very bright. Her players may have leaked this and want her out. The fact she mentions her regret means something is wrong. She should go anyway.

J-C
17-08-2019, 10:09 AM
Amazing how alcohol brings out the truth in people, a few bevvies andshetells them exactly what she thinks, be lucky to keep her job now, will they still want to play for her?

judas
17-08-2019, 05:11 PM
I think it might be better if the women took up embroidery and knitting or another honourable female pastime.

I don’t think the delicate constitution of the average female can handle the mans game.

🤔

jacomo
17-08-2019, 05:15 PM

I think the point is that she went over the top in her criticism of her squad, admits it was wrong, and this happened after she’d been bevvying with her coaching team.

Therefore, she overdid it and made a big mistake.

Paisley Hibby
17-08-2019, 05:25 PM

Nobody is saying she was drunk?

Eyrie
17-08-2019, 06:06 PM
I think it might be better if the women took up embroidery and knitting or another honourable female pastime.

I don’t think the delicate constitution of the average female can handle the mans game.

��

Given the way the average male player reacts to being tackled, they should take up embroidery and knitting. Or maybe not - the men would be writhing on the floor if they pricked themselves with a needle.

Professional football is certainly not a man's sport. :devil:

Franck Stanton
17-08-2019, 06:19 PM

Have known Shelly for years, in fact, as far back as when she was coaching kids for Polbeth Unt & she is most definitely a jambo.

jacomo
17-08-2019, 06:22 PM
Looks bad. Just a silly thing to do. In her own words she'd had "a few drinks" before reportedly upsetting her players.

Not very bright. Her players may have leaked this and want her out. The fact she mentions her regret means something is wrong. She should go anyway.

:agree:

If you do something you regret after a few drinks, by definition you’ve had too much to drink.

Also, results were *****