PDA

View Full Version : Joe Newell

ivan03
16-08-2019, 11:18 AM
Does anyone else feel he is being played out of position?

He’s not a runner whatsoever so why is he playing left midfield? He would surely be better playing either central (unlikely with Scotty there) or right. He’s not gonna run at full back that’s not the kind of player he is. I don’t understand why Hecky hasn’t tried him right and Horgan left, let him come inside on his left foot, that would surely suit him more being the type of player he is.

Thoughts?

Callum_62
16-08-2019, 11:27 AM
I think Newell will come good

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Since452
16-08-2019, 11:29 AM
Remember reading the Rotherham fans forum when we signed him and the majority were saying he had talent and when he was good he was unplayable but he was extremely frustrating and quite often didn't turn up. Only really seen the latter so far.

Looks great on YouTube mind 😉

Col2
16-08-2019, 11:32 AM

I hope so but he isn’t a winger, he doesn’t have pace, he doesn’t beat player with being tricky, he doesn’t tackle. The formation we play doesn’t really suit a left sided midfielder as opposed to a winger.

Springbank
16-08-2019, 02:35 PM
If he wants a starting Jersey in our league he needs to be mobile, improve the intensity, or he will be taken to the cleaners at places like ibrox, Tynecastle, pittodrie and fir park

The_Horde
16-08-2019, 02:46 PM
Try him on the right.. A sort of reverse Riordan?

Hibs90
16-08-2019, 02:47 PM
Try him on the right.. A sort of reverse Riordan?

Newell is nowhere near the technical ability of Riordan.

EVENTUALLY
16-08-2019, 02:52 PM

Really hope the guy turns in a decent skillful performance on Sat if selected. I feel he has already been selected by the boo boys as No.1 target. You don't get scouted and then signed by Hibs if you've nothing to offer. Hopefully he will demonstrate his skill and work very very hard to track back and close down his opponents when necessary.

Go on Joe.

The_Horde
16-08-2019, 02:54 PM
Newell is nowhere near the technical ability of Riordan.

I'm quite aware.

DavieRoy
16-08-2019, 02:54 PM
He has no pace. He has to do more. It is early but you worry that he will fall into the category of inferior replacement. We sign so many of them.

SingaporeHibs
16-08-2019, 02:59 PM
As mentioned he has absolutely zero pace, worse still he is slow. 1st half vs St Mirren he was jogging down the line, full back just shadowing him and i’m thinking go on Son put the jets on and go by the guy. Wow, what i thought was him jogging was actually him going full pelt with the ball, eventually the full back stepped in and block him. 100% never a winger. He knows it as well hence the reason he kept drifting into central midfield positions.
He played well over 100 games for Rotherham so was clearly a regular first team pick in his time there and you surely can’t get away with it over that length of period. He surely must have something I think to myself.
But from what i’ve seen so far he’s an imposter. Going to go down in history as one of those honking signings. Would love to see him prove me wrong.

The 90+2
16-08-2019, 03:03 PM
Play him in the Stephen Glass role.

Steven79
26-08-2019, 01:04 PM
Heckingbottom has clearly realised that he's made a mistake in signing him by getting Middleton on loan.

I don't think we will see much of him now till he's shipped back out.

The_Horde
26-08-2019, 01:05 PM
Heckingbottom has clearly realised that he's made a mistake in signing him by getting Middleton on loan.

I thought so too, but then I thought about it and the last 2 games we've had to use subs due to injury.

The Modfather
26-08-2019, 01:15 PM

I think Middleton was signed with an eye to Boyle getting injured, although I think he was still needed even if Boyle never got injured.

I don’t really understand what Newell was signed for. If it was to play left wing it is a bad signing and doesn’t address the lack of pace and width. If it was to play central that means we started the season short out wide and why did we need another midfielder who is good on the ball and going forward but poor going the other way. He is in good company with, Mallan, Allan, Slivka, Murray & arguably also Vela.

Steven79
26-08-2019, 01:19 PM
I think Middleton was signed with an eye to Boyle getting injured, although I think he was still needed even if Boyle never got injured.

I don’t really understand what Newell was signed for. If it was to play left wing it is a bad signing and doesn’t address the lack of pace and width. If it was to play central that means we started the season short out wide and why did we need another midfielder who is good on the ball and going forward but poor going the other way. He is in good company with, Mallan, Allan, Slivka, Murray & arguably also Vela.

Boyle plays on the right and Middleton on the left and as we seen on Saturday the only other option we have on the right by the looks of it is Scott Allan (who was wasted in that position)

Ozyhibby
26-08-2019, 01:19 PM
He’ll be a bench warmer until we can get shot of him. It was obvious from his first friendly game he was not up to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steven79
26-08-2019, 01:24 PM
He’ll be a bench warmer until we can get shot of him. It was obvious from his first friendly game he was not up to it.

I think it will be interesting how much game time he gets over the next month or so as failure to get many minutes will prove that he was a mistake.

Then again it's probably the fault of the fans for not taking to somebody who looked average at best against the likes of Stirling Albion.

Smartie
26-08-2019, 01:28 PM
I think he looks like he could be ok in the number 10 role.

Quite a lot of our budget to spend on a deputy for Mallan who himself is a deputy for Allan, both of whom also have to have a team built to cover for the fact that there are things they just can't/ won't do, and no matter how much you want it to work you can't just shoehorn them into other roles.

It's a bit like Fenlon's ample selection of defensive midfielders again, which led to stuff like Liam Craig being played on the right wing and, er, relegation.

MrRobot
26-08-2019, 01:41 PM
This place is mental.

The guy has played about 3 competitive games for us and people think we are looking to punt him already? Honestly it’s unreal the amount of bed wetting that goes on here.

bingo70
26-08-2019, 01:46 PM
This place is mental.

The guy has played about 3 competitive games for us and people think we are looking to punt him already? Honestly it’s unreal the amount of bed wetting that goes on here.

You can also form an opinion of him from friendly games.

I’d love to see someone put a rocket up his arse. I don’t think I’ve seen him sprint yet, just seems to jog about with no urgency.

Pretty Boy
26-08-2019, 01:48 PM
He was woeful at Ibrox. A scared wee laddie who was trying to hide.

I'm not at all surprised he was hooked at HT and that he's not featured since. He'll get his chance again but he needs to be much better than he has been in the games he has played so far.

Steven79
26-08-2019, 01:55 PM
This place is mental.

So we sign a player and after a few games we replace him with another player on loan who has clearly much more about him and yet you describe that as bed wetting?

He looks lazy and disinterested and has done nothing so far to make me think he's worth a place in the squad.

MrRobot
26-08-2019, 01:58 PM
So we sign a player and after a few games we replace him with another player on loan who has clearly much more about him and yet you describe that as bed wetting?

He looks lazy and disinterested and has done nothing so far to make me think he's worth a place in the squad.

Was Middleton signed to replace Newell? Please find me where Hecky has said this?

matty_f
26-08-2019, 02:02 PM
As mentioned he has absolutely zero pace, worse still he is slow. 1st half vs St Mirren he was jogging down the line, full back just shadowing him and i’m thinking go on Son put the jets on and go by the guy. Wow, what i thought was him jogging was actually him going full pelt with the ball, eventually the full back stepped in and block him. 100% never a winger. He knows it as well hence the reason he kept drifting into central midfield positions.
He played well over 100 games for Rotherham so was clearly a regular first team pick in his time there and you surely can’t get away with it over that length of period. He surely must have something I think to myself.
But from what i’ve seen so far he’s an imposter. Going to go down in history as one of those honking signings. Would love to see him prove me wrong.

Is being slow worse than having no pace? I thought they were the same thing?

BILLYHIBS
26-08-2019, 02:15 PM
You can also form an opinion of him from friendly games.

I’d love to see someone put a rocket up his arse. I don’t think I’ve seen him sprint yet, just seems to jog about with no urgency.
Ha Ha!

I got slated on here for saying he needed a rocket up his arse after Stirling I am glad someone else agrees with me and he ain’t done nothing since to prove me wrong

Funny thing was he looked a million dollars in the warm up pinging them into the postage stamp

I suppose he is the signing I was most looking forward to yet so disappointed

You cannae kid a kidder 😁

Ozyhibby
26-08-2019, 02:16 PM
He was woeful at Ibrox. A scared wee laddie who was trying to hide.

I'm not at all surprised he was hooked at HT and that he's not featured since. He'll get his chance again but he needs to be much better than he has been in the games he has played so far.

He’s been hooked at half time a few times now.

bingo70
26-08-2019, 02:18 PM
He’s been hooked at half time a few times now.

I’ve certainly seen him hooked at half time more than I’ve seen him sprint.

CloudSquall
26-08-2019, 02:49 PM
If he has no pace and can't play on the wing where is he going to play?

It seems we're trying to create some mythical "left midfield" position that is neither a CM or a winger, just someone that plays somewhere between a winger and a CM that does neither job.

Don't want to be harsh but as written earlier in the thread he'll be a bench warmer until he is off loaded.

bingo70
26-08-2019, 02:51 PM
If he has no pace and can't play on the wing where is he going to play?

It seems we're trying to create some mythical "left midfield" position that is neither a CM or a winger, just someone that plays somewhere between a winger and a CM that does neither job.

Don't want to be harsh but as written earlier in the thread he'll be a bench warmer until he is off loaded.

I previously criticised him on this thread but to offer some sort of hope for the guy, fans of his previous club did say his best games and position is coming off the bench.

He apparently struggled in games he started down south too so maybe he’s just destined to be one of those impact players coming off the bench.

Very possibly clutching at straws though.

J-C
26-08-2019, 03:07 PM
Boyle plays on the right and Middleton on the left and as we seen on Saturday the only other option we have on the right by the looks of it is Scott Allan (who was wasted in that position)

Horgan is very capable of playing on the right seeing as he's a right footer, his problem is like saturday he's used to drifting inside like he does from the left, he very rarely stayed wide right and kept losing his man meaning Whittaker had 2 men to take care of.

SMAXXA
26-08-2019, 03:13 PM
I think it will be interesting how much game time he gets over the next month or so as failure to get many minutes will prove that he was a mistake.

Then again it's probably the fault of the fans for not taking to somebody who looked average at best against the likes of Stirling Albion.

You do know all signings weren’t made to be a first 11 pick? We had to rebuild a squad and I think he will be an ample squad player so not sure how it will prove it’s a mistake.

SingaporeHibs
26-08-2019, 03:27 PM
Is being slow worse than having no pace? I thought they were the same thing?

Hahaha, likely a lazy description on my part. I would describe a player with pace as being quicker over the ground than your average speed player. Newell so far hasn’t shown himself to have even the pace of an average speed player, therefore i’m calling him slow. The example of what I saw vs St Mirren was more a jog than running but that seemed the fastest he could bring himself to go otherwise he should of beat the full back and got a cross in. Even the full back was standing off him waiting for him to go. Never came.

ancient hibee
26-08-2019, 03:31 PM
You do know all signings weren’t made to be a first 11 pick? We had to rebuild a squad and I think he will be an ample squad player so not sure how it will prove it’s a mistake.

Surely all signings should have been made as a means of improving the first team pool.I don’t see that Newell does that.

MrRobot
26-08-2019, 03:37 PM

:agree:

Borderhibbie76
26-08-2019, 04:44 PM
Horgan is very capable of playing on the right seeing as he's a right footer, his problem is like saturday he's used to drifting inside like he does from the left, he very rarely stayed wide right and kept losing his man meaning Whittaker had 2 men to take care of.Funny as Newell is getting slaughtered on here (perhaps rightly so) but Horgan was absolutely murder when he came on on Sat...gave the ball away constantly and twice mucked up decent break aways. God help us all if hed been a Hecky signing

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SMAXXA
26-08-2019, 04:46 PM
Hahaha, likely a lazy description on my part. I would describe a player with pace as being quicker over the ground than your average speed player. Newell so far hasn’t shown himself to have even the pace of an average speed player, therefore i’m calling him slow. The example of what I saw vs St Mirren was more a jog than running but that seemed the fastest he could bring himself to go otherwise he should of beat the full back and got a cross in. Even the full back was standing off him waiting for him to go. Never came.

I was at the game and first half he got some good crosses in and went past the full back to do so, not necessarily roasting him at once was more a drop of the shoulder but he did do it

Ozyhibby
26-08-2019, 05:02 PM
Funny as Newell is getting slaughtered on here (perhaps rightly so) but Horgan was absolutely murder when he came on on Sat...gave the ball away constantly and twice mucked up decent break aways. God help us all if hed been a Hecky signing

If Newall puts in some performances equal to what Horgan has done previously then he will have earned some leeway.

Borderhibbie76
26-08-2019, 05:17 PM
If Newall puts in some performances equal to what Horgan has done previously then he will have earned some leeway.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI agree but do think Horgan is very hit and miss...he is either brilliant or awful but no happy medium with him

The 90+2
26-08-2019, 05:22 PM
Newell is pap. I was excited when he signed too. He will end up at Oldham or some **** on loan come January.

The 90+2
26-08-2019, 05:22 PM
Funny as Newell is getting slaughtered on here (perhaps rightly so) but Horgan was absolutely murder when he came on on Sat...gave the ball away constantly and twice mucked up decent break aways. God help us all if hed been a Hecky signing

Probably annoyed he got dropped for f-all.

Sir David Gray
26-08-2019, 05:24 PM
He's one of the poorest signings we've made for a while.

I don't rate him at all.

J-C
26-08-2019, 10:58 PM

1 good game every 6, his distribution is brutal, hardly ever tracks back and gets caught out defensively all the time, oh and is blowing out his erse after 50 mins.

Sammy7nil
26-08-2019, 11:04 PM

I agree but do think Horgan is very hit and miss...he is either brilliant or awful but no happy medium with him

And played the crossfield pass that Sent Middleton clear to set up the second goal.

J-C
26-08-2019, 11:11 PM
And played the crossfield pass that Sent Middleton clear to set up the second goal.

And also misplaced a pass when on a 3 on 2 break, plus missed another simple over the top pass by under hitting it badly, little bits of good and lots of bad, he's a very very average player.

Centre Hawf
27-08-2019, 12:21 AM
He looks no better than someone like Ryan Edwards when at Hearts for example. This league isn’t for him and I can’t see this one turning around into a star.

BILLYHIBS
27-08-2019, 06:20 AM
And also misplaced a pass when on a 3 on 2 break, plus missed another simple over the top pass by under hitting it badly, little bits of good and lots of bad, he's a very very average player.

An enigma

Totally outstanding versus Hearts in the Derby at Tiny scoring two goals

Also remember one break on Saturday when he forgot to take the ball with him and towards the end of the game had the option to take the ball into the corner but didn’t :confused:

Unseen work
27-08-2019, 06:26 AM
I like his touch, has a great cross and how he drifts infield into dangerous positions.

As someone alluded to, he may not roast the full back but he does manage to get quite a bit of crosses in whether it be from dropping a shoulder or an early delivery. You don’t need to take the defender on and get to the byline.

He has become the scapegoat for this season since his first debut, mainly as folk seem to not like his languid playing style.

He was one of our best performers against Elgin and St Mirren (first half especially) yet nothing is said about this.

Hes a big tank of a laddie aswell, I’m sure he will come good.

The Captain....
27-08-2019, 07:29 AM
Given that I wouldn't think that Newell's wages would be comparatively cheap for a club like us I wonder what the rationale was for his signing. He scored quite a few from midfield last season so maybe that was the deciding factor. I think he"s probably better than hes shown so far mind you..he looks very lackadaisical.

One of my bugbears with the current recruitment is that of the many midfielders signed, its difficult to see how they complement each other. It's almost as if they've been signed in isolation rather than to fit in to a cohesive plan.There is a real lack of balance imo. It's probably more noticeable as we had such a good balance previously. It maybe just needs the mythical modern Matty Jack to make it all click..who knows.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
27-08-2019, 07:34 AM
I like his touch, has a great cross and how he drifts infield into dangerous positions.

As someone alluded to, he may not roast the full back but he does manage to get quite a bit of crosses in whether it be from dropping a shoulder or an early delivery. You don’t need to take the defender on and get to the byline.

He has become the scapegoat for this season since his first debut, mainly as folk seem to not like his languid playing style.

He was one of our best performers against Elgin and St Mirren (first half especially) yet nothing is said about this.

Hes a big tank of a laddie aswell, I’m sure he will come good.

Agree maybe time to cut the guy some slack and give him another chance maybe as a left sided midfielder or as an impact sub

He must now realise he is in the big time with HIBS and it is a good opportunity for him and it is up to him to make the most of it

J-C
27-08-2019, 09:00 AM
Given that I wouldn't think that Newell's wages would be comparatively cheap for a club like us I wonder what the rationale was for his signing. He scored quite a few from midfield last season so maybe that was the deciding factor. I think he"s probably better than hes shown so far mind you..he looks very lackadaisical.

One of my bugbears with the current recruitment is that of the many midfielders signed, its difficult to see how they complement each other. It's almost as if they've been signed in isolation rather than to fit in to a cohesive plan.There is a real lack of balance imo. It's probably more noticeable as we had such a good balance previously. It maybe just needs the mythical modern Matty Jack to make it all click..who knows.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

There was talk that he prefers to play more central and I can see him being more effective on the left of a midfield 3, I also think we've spent big on wages for him, Jackson, Doidge and James.

hibee-boys
27-08-2019, 09:14 AM
There was talk that he prefers to play more central and I can see him being more effective on the left of a midfield 3, I also think we've spent big on wages for him, Jackson, Doidge and James.

Yip, there's no way those 4, along with Vela, have come up here for anything other than near the top of our wage structure and/or a sizeable sign on fee.