PDA

View Full Version : Hibs v Morton thoughts

Billy Whizz
15-08-2019, 03:16 PM
After our demolishing at Ibrox on Sunday, need to pick ourselves up, and be prepared for a massive game on Saturday, which could make or break our season
Cup runs excite the fans, and at this stage we’re only 2 games away from a semi final at Hampden, and would give us all something to look forward too!
Looking like a poor crowd so far looking at the online map, but hopefully we get a good walk up crowd on the day. I’m sure there will

Be changes from Sunday’s starting 11, but I don’t think any of us could choose what Heckys going to do
Is Porteous ready to start after his injury, where would he play, is Middleton match fit? Not sure how many games he’s played pre season? Will Oli still be around come Saturday, if not we’re light on strikers. What’s the fitness of Gray and stevenson, any of them ready to start?
Lots of questions, but it’s a game we really need to win, defeat is unthinkable. Presume Hopkins team will play the long ball game, as he did at Livingston?

We just need to get an early goal, settle down the fans and we’ll be ok
Come on the Hibees!

Hibernia&Alba
15-08-2019, 03:35 PM
It must win for Hecky; we simply cannot lose a cup tie at home to Morton in present circumstances. Not only a win, I'm looking for a decent performance which will give cause for optimism going forward. The crowd might be low, but it's a cup tie and a chance to get back on track. No excuses.

c31
15-08-2019, 04:06 PM
It will finally all click into place and we will win 5v0...

Unseen work
15-08-2019, 04:08 PM
We need to win and convincingly.

If we don’t score within the opening 30 minutes I can see a lot of fans becoming very restless with last weeks results and today’s press conference in peoples head

Morton will try hold out, frustrate us and wait for the fans to get on the players back

Stuart93
15-08-2019, 04:08 PM
It will finally all click into place and we will win 5v0...

A 90 minute struggle to break them down which could maybe even see us getting caught on the break.

Think we’ll manage to get through but just, 1-0

calumhibee1
15-08-2019, 04:10 PM
3-0 Hibs. Middleton to grab a goal and play very well. Doidge and Mallan with the others.

WhileTheChief..
15-08-2019, 04:14 PM
Make or break? Seriously?

Would certainly put loads more pressure on PH if we lose but absolutely nothing will change if we win.

This should be in the 'run of the mill' win category.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-08-2019, 05:28 PM
Would be good to see Doidge get a goal and take some of the pressure of himself.

Northernhibee
15-08-2019, 05:36 PM
My hopes is that both on and off the pitch we grow a set of bollocks and don't let a sulk about last week take our eyes off winning well against Morton.

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2019, 05:39 PM
With this being another pre season friendly, Heckybingo will take place, so it will probably be a struggle but more players will get up to speed and he will be happy whatever the result.

Brightside
15-08-2019, 05:40 PM
Im assuming a 0-0 like Lennon got will be ok.

calumhibee1
15-08-2019, 06:09 PM

Would certainly put loads more pressure on PH if we lose but absolutely nothing will change if we win.

So in other words, if he gets beat then he’ll get hammered for it and if he wins he’s getting given no credit.

:aok:

flash
15-08-2019, 06:18 PM
So in other words, if he gets beat then he’ll get hammered for it and if he wins he’s getting given no credit.

Obviously. As one joker on here said he needs to win every game left in the first quarter to make up for the Rangers game.

HibbyAndy
15-08-2019, 06:32 PM
0-0

Hibs after extra time

Souter96Mac
15-08-2019, 10:23 PM
Hope Porteous and Jackson start. Would be good to see Middleton too.
Tempted to go 442 for this one, just go for it.
Marciano
Gray Porteous Jackson Whitty
Murray Allan Vela Middleton
Kamberi Doidge

Would give Murray a chance tbh. He's impressed me everytine he's played.

Coco Bryce
15-08-2019, 10:25 PM
We will run riot on Saturday. 4-0

Smartie
15-08-2019, 10:54 PM
This is a tough one for Heckingbottom. Anything short of a convincing win and good performance will see him criticised.

I'll be happy to get through the tie, that's all that matters.

A poor performance or God forbid we lose and serious questions will need to be asked.

Marciano

Whittaker
Jackson
Hanlon
Mackie

Vela
Stevenson (if fit, if not then Slivka)

Horgan
Allan
Middleton

Flo

BILLYHIBS
15-08-2019, 11:04 PM

Only if Hecky punches the Mortons Managers lights oot! 😁

basehibby
16-08-2019, 12:44 AM
After our demolishing at Ibrox on Sunday, need to pick ourselves up, and be prepared for a massive game on Saturday, which could make or break our season
Cup runs excite the fans, and at this stage we’re only 2 games away from a semi final at Hampden, and would give us all something to look forward too!
Looking like a poor crowd so far looking at the online map, but hopefully we get a good walk up crowd on the day. I’m sure there will

Be changes from Sunday’s starting 11, but I don’t think any of us could choose what Heckys going to do
Is Porteous ready to start after his injury, where would he play, is Middleton match fit? Not sure how many games he’s played pre season? Will Oli still be around come Saturday, if not we’re light on strikers. What’s the fitness of Gray and stevenson, any of them ready to start?
Lots of questions, but it’s a game we really need to win, defeat is unthinkable. Presume Hopkins team will play the long ball game, as he did at Livingston?

We just need to get an early goal, settle down the fans and we’ll be ok
Come on the Hibees!

We should have too much for Morton but they're no mugs and will have their best side out busting a gut. If I was Hecky my objective would be to put my fittest most capable team on the pitch from the off to try and secure a handsome victory. There's a few times in the LC groups where we didn't seem to have our strongest side on the park until the second half - I don't want to see that sort of gamble in this game. Strongest most balanced attacking team from the off which to me would be a 442

Onion
16-08-2019, 04:45 AM
We should have too much for Morton but they're no mugs and will have their best side out busting a gut. If I was Hecky my objective would be to put my fittest most capable team on the pitch from the off to try and secure a handsome victory. There's a few times in the LC groups where we didn't seem to have our strongest side on the park until the second half - I don't want to see that sort of gamble in this game. Strongest most balanced attacking team from the off which to me would be a 442

IMO that's no bad thing. PH and his new players need to be tested at this point, not given an easy time against weak opposition. Yes, we need to rebuild confidence and bed players in, but we also need to find out asap if PH and these players are up to the job.

Hermit Crab
16-08-2019, 05:17 AM
£20 on Morton at 9/1. Means I can drown my sorrows with the winnings if we lose. I expect Hibs to win the game though. 2-0

Unseen work
16-08-2019, 05:37 AM
..................Maxwell..............

Gray.....Jackson......Porteous....Mackie..

...........Slivka......Vela........

Horgan........Allan.............Middleton..

................Kamberi......

Is what I would like to see.

Maxwell, Gray, Slivks and Porto getting important game time.

Plenty of legs in that team that could implement the high press and force them into mistakes.

The front 4 should be running Morton riot.

MWHIBBIES
16-08-2019, 06:52 AM
With this being another pre season friendly, Heckybingo will take place, so it will probably be a struggle but more players will get up to speed and he will be happy whatever the result.

It worked so badly in the league cup we are seeded and playing lower league opposition at home.

green day
16-08-2019, 06:59 AM
£20 on Morton at 9/1. Means I can drown my sorrows with the winnings if we lose. I expect Hibs to win the game though. 2-0

I don't believe you, but when you post that kind of thing, you surely can't be surprised when people have a pop at you?

B.H.F.C
16-08-2019, 07:19 AM
Marciano

Gray
Jackson
Hanlon
Stevenson

Slivka
Vela
Allan

Horgan
Kamberi
Middleton

Northernhibee
16-08-2019, 07:29 AM

I’m not sure if following football is a good idea for you; if you get consistently this sulky and grumpy about it then it might not be healthy. Tried following the cricket?

JXM73
16-08-2019, 07:57 AM
Expecting another baffliing team selection and a poorly fought out win, prefer a good performance all round but been waiting 6 games for that now...

Bob Box Fish
16-08-2019, 07:58 AM
Going for 2-0 or 2-1 win with a lot of huffing and puffing trying to break Morton down.

Hopefully Honkingbottom's tactics will be more than humping the ball up in the air hoping Doidge wins some headers :cb

Looking forward to seeing Middleton and hopefully a return start for Porteous.

Since452
16-08-2019, 07:59 AM
I think and expect us to beat Morton convincingly. 5-0 or 1-0 i don't care as long as there's a marked increase in tempo and control. The players need to step up to the plate now. I'm hopefull Middleton will provide a wee spark.

Tarrahib
16-08-2019, 08:09 AM
0-0

Hibs after extra time
Is there extra time? My bus north leaves at 5:50,I can catch the bus if it is decided on penalties but not if it is decided in extra time. I caught the bus north after the penalties shoot out at Stirling.
Hopefully it will be won well in 90 minutes by Hibs.4- 0.

MWHIBBIES
16-08-2019, 08:10 AM
Expecting another baffliing team selection and a poorly fought out win, prefer a good performance all round but been waiting 6 games for that now...

We played well at Elgin and home to Arbraoth so you haven't been waiting 6 games.

lucky
16-08-2019, 08:19 AM
I’m expecting a dull 1-0 Hibs win played in front of a crowd of less than 7000. Usually in cup competitions any win is acceptable but Hibs and more importantly PH needs a good performance. If Hibs lose then the pressure will really be on him. The LC and SC are only chances of winning anything but the way things are at Hibs just now I doubt any of us think Hibs will win a cup or even be competitive in one.

Since452
16-08-2019, 08:20 AM
I’m expecting a dull 1-0 Hibs win played in front of a crowd of less than 7000. Usually in cup competitions any win is acceptable but Hibs and more importantly PH needs a good performance. If Hibs lose then the pressure will really be on him. The LC and SC are only chances of winning anything but the way things are at Hibs just now I doubt any of us think Hibs will win a cup or even be competitive in one.

If we lose then I'll be joining the Hecky out brigade. Don't think it'll happen though.

Jim44
16-08-2019, 08:32 AM
Going for 2-0 or 2-1 win with a lot of huffing and puffing trying to break Morton down.

Hopefully Honkingbottom's tactics will be more than humping the ball up in the air hoping Doidge wins some headers :cb

I’m as cheesed off and unimpressed as the next guy with our flat start to the season but I think it’s a bit much to resort to name-calling. I don’t think the guy’s trying to do badly and I don’t think he deserves ridicule. Sorry, but I think it’s a bit off. :dunno:

Hermit Crab
16-08-2019, 08:39 AM

:tee hee: Naughty naughty :slipper::slipper:

Dazzjw1875
16-08-2019, 08:50 AM
I honestly think it will be a very nervous display with the fans quickly getting onto the players backs if we don't score early doors.

Sean1875
16-08-2019, 09:16 AM
Its all going to come together at last and we'll kick the **** out of Morton with a comprehensive 5-0 win :agree:

easty
16-08-2019, 09:38 AM
I expect a 2 or 3 to nil win.

It’ll not matter what the score is, or how well we play, the same posters on .net will still say we’re ****. Still say the signings are brutal, still say we’re 5 players short of a top 6 side.

Also, “Honkingbottom” is up there with the most pathetic things I’ve read on the entire internet for years. Basically an 8 year olds banter. Even then it would be terrible. I don’t understand how someone can actually type that out and not immediately delete it in embarrassment.

Diclonius
16-08-2019, 09:43 AM
With the result last week and the incredulous "no money" claim yesterday, I'm expecting a number of frustrated fans who will be ready to turn on the team - particularly the manager and players like Doidge/Newell etc - at a minute's notice. Let's hope we win and win well.

pacoluna
16-08-2019, 09:46 AM

Never assume.

Monts
16-08-2019, 11:05 AM
Early goal required

MWHIBBIES
16-08-2019, 11:07 AM
Early goal required

or 5 late ones?

Monts
16-08-2019, 11:08 AM
or 5 late ones?

No, not good enough. MWHIBBIES out!

Smartie
16-08-2019, 11:21 AM
An early goal would be good for the players more than anyone in the crowd.

We got the early goal (a very good one) against Arbroath and went on to put in a very composed performance. I don't think it is a coincidence.

An early goal was lost at Ibrox and we were all at sea for 40 minutes. When we've had strong squads in the past we've had the resilience to brush off adversity. This squad might get there with time but there's still a wee bit of fragility there, as you'd expect.

Sean1875
16-08-2019, 11:36 AM
Honkingbottom hahaha goodness me, tickled me that for some reason. Honkys at the wheel.

IWasThere2016
16-08-2019, 11:44 AM

Plenty of legs in that team that could implement the high press and force them into mistakes.

This or just Vela as DCM and 4-1-3-2 with two strikers for me.

Pilrig_Sauzee
16-08-2019, 01:00 PM
Am thinking a slightly tense 2-0, maybe scoring late first half. I don’t see us being the complete opposite of last week and romping it. I fear some will want that cricket score and be on the backs of every player who misplaces a pass.

Some patience required as we rebuild confidence back to front.

Am hoping Oli gets more than 15 minutes and scores as well.

B.H.F.C
16-08-2019, 01:16 PM
Am thinking a slightly tense 2-0, maybe scoring late first half. I don’t see us being the complete opposite of last week and romping it. I fear some will want that cricket score and be on the backs of every player who misplaces a pass.

Some patience required as we rebuild confidence back to front.

Am hoping Oli gets more than 15 minutes and scores as well.

IMO it’s up to the players to keep the crowd off their backs tomorrow. They’ll do that by starting quickly, rather than spending the first half slowly passing it around the back four.

We should be looking to dominate Morton the way the huns dominated us.

Edinburgh Green
16-08-2019, 01:48 PM
I expect a 2 or 3 to nil win.

It’ll not matter what the score is, or how well we play, the same posters on .net will still say we’re ****. Still say the signings are brutal, still say we’re 5 players short of a top 6 side.

Also, “Honkingbottom” is up there with the most pathetic things I’ve read on the entire internet for years. Basically an 8 year olds banter. Even then it would be terrible. I don’t understand how someone can actually type that out and not immediately delete it in embarrassment.

:top marks

JimBHibees
16-08-2019, 01:56 PM

Like the look of that team good balance. Think it will be tough with Morton well up for it under Hopkins.

bigwheel
16-08-2019, 02:49 PM

Hopefully Stevenson in contention to replace Mackie in that 11

Billy Whizz
16-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Hopefully Stevenson in contention to replace Mackie in that 11

Evening News saying he’s not ready yet

bigwheel
16-08-2019, 03:51 PM

Shame....That’s different from Managers view in pre match presser ...

B.H.F.C
16-08-2019, 03:53 PM

Heckingbottom said in his press conference he’s in contention.

greenlex
16-08-2019, 03:58 PM
A single on the Well and also double it up. You could be delirious either way.

greenlex
16-08-2019, 03:59 PM
With the result last week and the incredulous "no money" claim yesterday, I'm expecting a number of frustrated fans who will be ready to turn on the team - particularly the manager and players like Doidge/Newell etc - at a minute's notice. Let's hope we win and win well.
They won’t need notice.

DH1875
16-08-2019, 04:02 PM

Do you not think that if we lose tomorrow folk will have every right to have a go at the manager and the players? Team turns up, does the job and wins, they'll have nothing to worry about.

greenlex
16-08-2019, 04:04 PM
Do you not think that if we lose tomorrow folk will have every right to have a go at the manager and the players? Team turns up, does the job and wins, they'll have nothing to worry about.
If we win without style or intent they’ll be worried.

Billy Whizz
16-08-2019, 04:08 PM
Heckingbottom said in his press conference he’s in contention.

Only reading what’s on here
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/hibs-v-morton-preview-middleton-to-start-4-4-2-formation-four-players-out-1-4984753

WhileTheChief..
16-08-2019, 04:17 PM
When’s the last time the fans turned on the team or manager at ER?

It’s not happened in years and won’t happen tomorrow.

If things don’t start well it will be a familiar silence around the ground and a few groans, nothing out of the ordinary.

calumhibee1
16-08-2019, 04:20 PM
If we win without style or intent they’ll be worried.

Yup. Plenty posters have pretty much said as much. “Hecky needs a win and a stylish win” or something along those lines has been trotted out numerous times since Sunday knowing fine we’ll that SPL teams will very rarely spank the better Championship teams.

Hermit Crab
16-08-2019, 04:21 PM

If things don’t start well it will be a familiar silence around the ground and a few groans, nothing out of the ordinary.

Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher.

WhileTheChief..
16-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Yeah but the fan base is a million miles away from how it felt under these guys.

A few crappy results and I’d agree but it won’t happen tomorrow.

*I did say years ago which kinda applies to the 3 you mentioned!

superfurryhibby
16-08-2019, 04:24 PM
My thoughts are that we will win comfortably.

Since452
16-08-2019, 04:27 PM

I remember a good few grumbles after our umpteenth draw in Lennons Championship season

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2019, 04:29 PM
Yup. Plenty posters have pretty much said as much. “Hecky needs a win and a stylish win” or something along those lines has been trotted out numerous times since Sunday knowing fine we’ll that SPL teams will very rarely spank the better Championship teams.

You have changed your tune, cast back a year and you were going on about it was embarrassing we were only scoring 12 goals in Europe, and our league form was poor, even though we were winning with an unbalanced side, and this was way before the transfer window closed.

A year later and things are fine, and the minnows are difficult games now. :faf::faf:

3pm
16-08-2019, 04:33 PM
Motherwell ripped this mob apart, they are terrible.

Think Hibs will win by a couple.

Billy Whizz
16-08-2019, 04:39 PM

They’ve signed 12 players, so will be a much changed team to the Motherwell game
Never the less, I’m sure we’ve enough

Since90+2
16-08-2019, 04:39 PM

I'd say Motherwell look better than we do at this moment in time.

The Leith Dutch
16-08-2019, 04:47 PM

While I agree it's a little unfair it's also football.

We should beat Morton and we definitely shouldn't lose to Morton.
Unfortunately that means he's doing the basics of his job if he wins so minimal or no credit while he's massively screwed up if he loses and will be (rightly) hammered.

I think you're more likely to get credit for these kind of games if you're extending a winning or unbeaten run but this game in isolation is a banana skin without the possible banana.

MWHIBBIES
16-08-2019, 04:48 PM

Motherwell played bottom six fodder and old firm = 1 point
Hibs played bottom six fodder and old firm = 3 points

Definitely looking better than us

3pm
16-08-2019, 04:49 PM
They’ve signed 12 players, so will be a much changed team to the Motherwell game
Never the less, I’m sure we’ve enough

Signed since that game?

Hi Heid Yin
16-08-2019, 04:51 PM
Middleton has been talked up big time by Heckingbottom and so I'm looking for our loanee to live up to the hype.

An as yet unconvincing Hibs should overcome lower-league Morton, but not after a few scares.

Billy Whizz
16-08-2019, 04:51 PM
Signed since that game?

Not sure, but 12 since Hopkins came in, signed Danny Rogers from Aberdeen the other day

Callum_62
16-08-2019, 04:56 PM
Middleton has been talked up big time by Heckingbottom and so I'm looking for our loanee to live up to the hype.

An as yet unconvincing Hibs should overcome lower-league Morton, but not after a few scares.Has he?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Since90+2
16-08-2019, 05:12 PM
Motherwell played bottom six fodder and old firm = 1 point
Hibs played bottom six fodder and old firm = 3 points

Definitely looking better than us

We have both played the old firm but they looked better against Celtic, who are still best side in the country, than we did against Rangers. I don't think that's up for debate.

We have also played St Mirren at home , the second worst team in the league last year, and got a single goal win whilst they drew away at Livingston. I don't think you can say either performance is particularly better than the other.

If you then compare our League Cup performances against lesser teams they were miles ahead of us so I'd say on balance they look a better side than we do at the moment.

04Sauzee
16-08-2019, 05:13 PM

An as yet unconvincing Hibs should overcome lower-league Morton, but not after a few scares.

Heckingbottom has been asked what kind of player Middleton is and he's given an answer, wouldn't say he's hyped him up unless I have missed an interview or 2

MWHIBBIES
16-08-2019, 05:14 PM
We have both played the old firm but they looked better against Celtic, who are still best side in the country, than we did against Rangers. I don't think that's up for debate.

We have also played St Mirren at home , the second worst team in the league last year, and got a single goal win whilst they drew away at Livingston. I don't think you can say either performance is particularly better than the other.

If you then compare our League Cup performances against lesser teams they were miles ahead of us so I'd say on balance they look a better side than we do at the moment.

We'll find out in 3 weeks. I remember similar chat last year when they had a good run. Came to easter road and got absolutely dominated.

04Sauzee
16-08-2019, 05:14 PM

They were honking against Celtic absolutely dreadful. Celtic don't even look as good as they did under Rogers

As for not up for debate my opinion differs from yours so there must be some kind of debate

Billy Whizz
16-08-2019, 05:23 PM
Draw for the Quarter Finals, are on BT sport after East Fife v Rangers on Sunday

Just Alf
16-08-2019, 06:12 PM
We should have too much for Morton but they're no mugs and will have their best side out busting a gut. If I was Hecky my objective would be to put my fittest most capable team on the pitch from the off to try and secure a handsome victory. There's a few times in the LC groups where we didn't seem to have our strongest side on the park until the second half - I don't want to see that sort of gamble in this game. Strongest most balanced attacking team from the off which to me would be a 442Catching up today, so apologies for the slow reply, but 1 million% agree! .... Especially as a couple of mates from through there are gracing me with their presence this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The_Horde
16-08-2019, 06:19 PM
Comfortable win for Hibs and the happy clappers to be giving it laldy for a week.

Onion
16-08-2019, 06:22 PM
It's a cup, any kind of win will do for us and Hecky. Anything less will be bad.

Speedway
16-08-2019, 06:37 PM
We’ll win, but we’ll toil.

What’s worse, Duffy and Lennon won’t be around to offer each other a square go.

Those were the days.

heretoday
16-08-2019, 06:39 PM
Were going to lose to Morton.

DH1875
16-08-2019, 06:43 PM
Motherwell beat them 4-0 in the group stages and Ayr put 4 past them in league. Fair enough, they beat Alloa last week but we really should be hammering them.

Just Alf
16-08-2019, 06:55 PM
We’ll win, but we’ll toil.

What’s worse, Duffy and Lennon won’t be around to offer each other a square go.

Those were the days.Good point..... Sigh... :-(

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3pm
16-08-2019, 06:58 PM
Not sure, but 12 since Hopkins came in, signed Danny Rogers from Aberdeen the other day

The signings may have helped Bill but I’d expect at least 2 in it.

Speedway
16-08-2019, 07:48 PM
I’m already raging at PH team selection, performance and result for tomorrow.

04Sauzee
16-08-2019, 07:51 PM
I’m already raging at PH team selection, performance and result for tomorrow.

At least you got in OK, raging with the turnstile fiasco

SquashedFrogg
16-08-2019, 07:53 PM
Comfortable win for Hibs and the happy clappers to be giving it laldy for a week.

Strange pov. Surely that's what 'everyone' wants?

JimBHibees
16-08-2019, 07:55 PM
Strange pov. Surely that's what 'everyone' wants?

Obviously not

Borderhibbie76
16-08-2019, 08:01 PM
I'd say Motherwell look better than we do at this moment in time.Not tonight they don't

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SquashedFrogg
16-08-2019, 08:01 PM
Obviously not

Clearly. Bizarre times.

Lago
16-08-2019, 08:03 PM
:greengrin
Not tonight they don't

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hiber-nation
16-08-2019, 08:07 PM
Away for the weekend, can't make the game and I'm not really bothered.

If I'm saying that then there must be something wrong.

The Wireless
16-08-2019, 08:26 PM

You cant be watching the game tonight.:confused:

SquashedFrogg
16-08-2019, 08:34 PM

That's a shame. Still, thanks for that.

California-Hibs
16-08-2019, 08:42 PM
Comfortable 4-0 win and a bit more positivity injected into Hibs.Net

ahibby
16-08-2019, 08:42 PM
Here comes the sun or always look on the bright side of life.

PatHead
16-08-2019, 08:43 PM
Comfortable 4-0 win and a bit more positivity injected into Hibs.Net

I can see the 4 0 win but not the positivity.

B.H.F.C
16-08-2019, 08:49 PM
I can see the 4 0 win but not the positivity.

If we win 4-0 tomorrow this place will undoubtedly be more positive.

They need to give us something to be positive about. And by that, I don’t just mean win. There needs to be some kind of performance to go with it.

bingo70
16-08-2019, 08:50 PM
I’ve been more miserable than most over the last week but I think we’ll win comfortably tomorrow.

I agree with Heckers lack of need for a defensive midfielder in these games and I think this is the ideal fixture to put last week to bed, same applies to the fixture next week.

We could win 10 nil tomorrow and I’ve still got my concerns for the rest of the season though. Feel like I need to add that in to ensure I’m not labelled as one of these happy clappers.

Hiber-nation
16-08-2019, 08:51 PM
That's a shame. Still, thanks for that.

No problem whatsoever. I really appreciate that.

Jones28
16-08-2019, 08:52 PM

They need to give us something to be positive about. And by that, I don’t just mean win. There needs to be some kind of performance to go with it.

A performance and a trouncing to restore a bit of faith and kick on.

bingo70
16-08-2019, 08:56 PM

I think any sort of a win and Newell showing a wee bit urgency would be a great result.

Smartie
16-08-2019, 09:03 PM
I think it's a good game for Mallan to be sitting out.

A bit more mobility in the midfield to help Allan and Vela is what we're needing.

Whilst I've been very vocal about how thin our squad is, we're possibly only 1 player away from being able to put out a very strong first team.

Our players suit home games against weaker opposition, our weaknesses were always going to be ruthlessly exposed by Sevco last week.

skyhibs
16-08-2019, 09:08 PM

i am not away at the weekend and am no bothered either...

defo something wrong

Heisenberg
16-08-2019, 09:08 PM
Hibernian 3-1 Morton.

Doidge and Flo with the goals.

jacomo
16-08-2019, 09:10 PM

Can we drop this reductive and divisive chat please?

Everyone wants Hibs to do well, we disagree about how concerned we should be with form so far this season.

I get that people are raging after Sunday’s result. Rightly so. But no need to keep picking fights a week later, is there?

CathroMustStay
16-08-2019, 09:11 PM
Big pressure on Heckingbottom but I think we'll deal with it.

2-0 Hibs

:flag:

The_Horde
16-08-2019, 09:16 PM
Can we drop this reductive and divisive chat please?

Everyone wants Hibs to do well, we disagree about how concerned we should be with form so far this season.

I get that people are raging after Sunday’s result. Rightly so. But no need to keep picking fights a week later, is there?

Did I say anything to the contrary? Did I say this wasn't a good thing?

jacomo
16-08-2019, 09:18 PM
Did I say anything to the contrary? Did I say this wasn't a good thing?

Er maybe I misread you. In which case apologies

Springbank
16-08-2019, 10:31 PM
A win on pens after 1-1

bingo70
16-08-2019, 10:35 PM
A win on pens after 1-1

Is there extra time in the knock out stages or is it straight to pens like the group games?

Wheat Hound
16-08-2019, 10:49 PM
Is there extra time in the knock out stages or is it straight to pens like the group games?

From SPFL:

The tournament reverts to a traditional knock-out format from the second round onwards, with ties decided by extra time and penalties if the scores are level after 90 minutes.

flash
16-08-2019, 10:56 PM

You didn't.

The_Horde
16-08-2019, 11:06 PM
You didn't.

He didn't misread. He misunderstood or made an assumption.

sixtwo
16-08-2019, 11:36 PM
I reckon Hibs will win 3-1 but there will be 11-12k fans there

Hibeewilly
17-08-2019, 12:55 AM
I reckon Hibs will win 3-1 but there will be 11-12k fans there
I doubt we'll get that number sixtwo..... having just had a look at the number of blue dots I would predict around 7500 max and that's allowing for a good few walk ups. Even the singing section have only bought a handful.

Hermit Crab
17-08-2019, 02:13 AM
Were going to lose to Morton.

9/1 yer cash.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-08-2019, 03:19 AM
9/1 yer cash.

I'm not getting involved punting wise but, 11.5 on Betfair.

Hermit Crab
17-08-2019, 03:48 AM
I'm not getting involved punting wise but, 11.5 on Betfair.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-08-2019, 04:00 AM

I meant on Morton, I've got Hibs win btts.

Captain Trips
17-08-2019, 07:43 AM
If Morton have bought 12 players perhaps they are all useless as well after 2/3 matches much like all ours are supposed to be.

Anyways I want 2 strikers playing if so I think 3 or 4 goals for us.

calumhibee1
17-08-2019, 08:12 AM
You have changed your tune, cast back a year and you were going on about it was embarrassing we were only scoring 12 goals in Europe, and our league form was poor, even though we were winning with an unbalanced side, and this was way before the transfer window closed.

A year later and things are fine, and the minnows are difficult games now. :faf::faf:

Literally not one of they things happened though, did they?

Weegreenman
17-08-2019, 08:19 AM
Going on what I’ve seen so far from us this season I fancy this game to be a right struggle along the same lines as what we witnessed against St.Mirren.

Prediction = Home win

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2019, 08:26 AM
I see you’re still making things up as literally none of these things happened.You’re obsession with me had calmed down for a while.

If you could point me to any of my posts where I said scoring 12 goals in Europe was embarrassing (I wouldn’t have said that as I didn’t think we’d horse them the way we did), or when I said our league form was embarrassing (unless it was under NL when we went 16 games winning 2 or whatever it was, which was embarrassing) because I certainly didn’t say that at the start of last season.

I await some examples but I can guarantee they won’t be forthcoming as none of that happened.

I’m also not really sure how some part time team of fishermen are comparable to a team that are usually only about 10 or so places below us in the football pyramid.

Hahahahahaha, i have no need to show you anything, YOU know just like everyone else does that you were slaughtering the club and manager BEFORE THE TRANSFER WINDOW HAD SHUT, Because YOU said we had an unbalanced side, were waiting until the end of the transfer window when others were getting their signings in early. :faf: Thats worked out well for us.

Of course things are so different these days, Stirling albion are normally 10 places below us right enough, replace fishermen with plumbers and dustbin men.

More faces than the town clock.

Brightside
17-08-2019, 08:27 AM

Never apologise

Pete
17-08-2019, 08:51 AM
Thoughts? I think we should be patient today and realise that we’re going to be facing a team who will sit in and try and frustrate us.

Any win will do.👍🏼

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2019, 08:53 AM
Thoughts? I think we should be patient today and realise that we’re going to be facing a team who will sit in and try and frustrate us.

Any win will do.👍🏼

:agree:

Greenworld
17-08-2019, 09:00 AM
One thing for sure we are looking at one of our smallest crowds just had a quick look at available seats . If Hibs loose this match hubs.net will crash and Ron will be wondering what the he'll he has bought

green day
17-08-2019, 09:32 AM
One thing for sure we are looking at one of our smallest crowds just had a quick look at available seats . If Hibs loose this match hubs.net will crash and Ron will be wondering what the he'll he has bought

Well, I suppose it wont be a 20000 sellout, but what do you mean?

5700 v Alloa, 4600 v Arbroath already in the LC

Or is this yet another pointless post battering Hibs before a ball has even been kicked? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jones28
17-08-2019, 09:34 AM

You didn’t miss anything

ancient hibee
17-08-2019, 09:53 AM
I wonder if all the fit signings from the English leagues will start on the basis that if they don’t the manager will appear to have brought in players that can’t be trusted to do a job against Morton?

Hibernia&Alba
17-08-2019, 10:15 AM

Yup, no exaggeration. The signings have a lot of fans nervous; after last weekend, the alarm bells are ringing. If we lose at home to Morton, he's in deep trouble. It's an opportunity for a fresh start, and one he mustn't waste.

Col2
17-08-2019, 10:38 AM
Marciano

Gray
Jackson
Hanlon
Stevenson

Slivka
Vela
Allan

Horgan
Kamberi
Middleton

Yes that’s what I would go with. I am interested to see how Slivka and Vela get on as it’s clear that Mallan can’t play in same team as Allan unless we accept losing the midfield is ok.nLewis and SDG back always makes us more solid. 8/10 every week.

The_Horde
17-08-2019, 10:44 AM
Yes that’s what I would go with. I am interested to see how Slivka and Vela get on as it’s clear that Mallan can’t play in same team as Allan unless we accept losing the midfield is ok.nLewis and SDG back always makes us more solid. 8/10 every week.

Mallan can't play in the same team as anyone when he plays like he has recently. Good footballers can play with anyone.

Smartie
17-08-2019, 10:45 AM
Yup, no exaggeration. The signings have a lot of fans nervous; after last weekend, the alarm bells are ringing. If we lose at home to Morton, he's in deep trouble. It's an opportunity for a fresh start, and one he mustn't waste.

Lennon had a horrible result in this competition against QotS but since he'd had a very strong start to the league campaign and we were still on a bit of a high after the Scottish Cup win there wasn't as much meltdown as there can be.

A home cup defeat will always be a horrendous result for us. With the angst that even some of our more calm fans are feeling right now, such a result today would be unthinkable.

I think it's make or break.

Having said that, I think we'll win.

Daydreamer
17-08-2019, 10:46 AM
Even that there's no slope now does anyone think that it might be better shooting in to the FF end in the first half. Always seems that we play better shooting in to the FF end in the second half. Might give the team a bit more confidence shooting that way in the first half.

Smartie
17-08-2019, 10:47 AM
Mallan can't play in the same team as anyone when he plays like he has recently. Good footballers can play with anyone.

Good footballers who have the same weaknesses will play in a unit that is easily exposed and exploited though.

Playing Allan and Mallan together hangs Vela out to dry and exposes our defence.

I have a hunch that we'll see more from Allan, a lot more from Vela and the defence will look better today, all as a result of us being missing a player who I'll happily admit is a good player.

The_Horde
17-08-2019, 10:50 AM
Good footballers who have the same weaknesses will play in a unit that is easily exposed and exploited though.

Playing Allan and Mallan together hangs Vela out to dry and exposes our defence.

I have a hunch that we'll see more from Allan, a lot more from Vela and the defence will look better today, all as a result of us being missing a player who I'll happily admit is a good player.

In your opinion. In my opinion he'll be away playing for St Johnstone or back at St Mirren within a year or two.

The Liam Craig of this era.

FWIW Mcgeouch and Allan could be described as having very similar weaknesses and they managed it.

Not So Young
17-08-2019, 10:57 AM
For me the only objective in a cup game is to get through to the next round.

If it is done with some style thats all the better if not so be it, but the cup is all about getting through.

calumhibee1
17-08-2019, 11:05 AM
Hahahahahaha, i have no need to show you anything, YOU know just like everyone else does that you were slaughtering the club and manager BEFORE THE TRANSFER WINDOW HAD SHUT, Because YOU said we had an unbalanced side, were waiting until the end of the transfer window when others were getting their signings in early. :faf: Thats worked out well for us.

Of course things are so different these days, Stirling albion are normally 10 places below us right enough, replace fishermen with plumbers and dustbin men.

More faces than the town clock.

So what’s that got to do with apparently saying scoring 12 against the team from the Faroes wasn’t good enough or our league form? That’s what you said in your first post, now you’re talking about transfers. What one is it, because they’re totally different things? :confused:

Like I said, you’re making things up. I was concerned about transfers last season, I never once said scoring 12 against the team from the Faroes or our start to the league wasn’t good enough. You say you have no need to show me because you have no way of showing me, because it didn’t happen.

Off you pop now.

Keith_M
17-08-2019, 11:09 AM
I think this is a good opportunity to give the new signings some game time.

I'd start with all the summer signings and, if it's not going well by the 60th minute, swap for some experienced players

calumhibee1
17-08-2019, 11:11 AM
I think this is a good opportunity to give the new signings some game time.

I'd start with all the summer signings and, if it's not going well by the 60th minute, swap for some experienced players

Middleton has to start imo. Could be a very important player for us this season. Same with Porteous (presuming he’s ready to be starting) and Gray (again, presuming he’s ready).

I’d give Vela a go aswell. We need him to work out so we need him up to speed ASAP.

heretoday
17-08-2019, 11:12 AM
We'd better look sharp. Morton are tidy.

RossScott1991
17-08-2019, 11:12 AM
Hoping to see 4.4.2
Us dominating the game and scoring a few goals.

If it’s a struggle it won’t do much to help calm the support

calumhibee1
17-08-2019, 11:13 AM

I’m not Slivkas biggest fan but I’d be tempted to go with that aswell. Possibly Mallan for Slivka but I’d agree that we’ll struggle to fit Mallan and Allan into a three against better sides so we should be looking to find a three that works rather than just playing our best three.

Billy Whizz
17-08-2019, 11:22 AM
Got my mojo back after last weekends game
Really looking forward to it now!

bigwheel
17-08-2019, 11:26 AM

Me too Billy [emoji106]. Will be a good cup test and chance for the players to put down a marker ...

Smartie
17-08-2019, 11:28 AM

These games sometimes feel a bit flatter than the league business but I reckon this is a massive game for us.

Looking forward to a pint or two and then the game.

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2019, 11:36 AM
So what’s that got to do with apparently saying scoring 12 against the team from the Faroes wasn’t good enough or our league form? That’s what you said in your first post, now you’re talking about transfers. What one is it, because they’re totally different things? :confused:

Like I said, you’re making things up. I was concerned about transfers last season, I never once said scoring 12 against the team from the Faroes or our start to the league wasn’t good enough. You say you have no need to show me because you have no way of showing me, because it didn’t happen.

Off you pop now.

Off you pop, well done.:faf: Nearly a whole season moaning about signings, unbalance and players coming in late in the window. Playing players out of position and results mattering even early in the season before the window closed.

Yet now exactly the same things are happening, our squad is unbalanced, our team are struggling to win against part timers, in fact didnt win one of those games, an unconvincing win in the league, and an absolute humping in the other, yet we need to wait and see now, last year you could tell we were crap, this season we have to wait.

:faf:

Northernhibee
17-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Off you pop, well done.:faf: Nearly a whole season moaning about signings, unbalance and players coming in late in the window. Playing players out of position and results mattering even early in the season before the window closed.

Yet now exactly the same things are happening, our squad is unbalanced, our team are struggling to win against part timers, in fact didnt win one of those games, an unconvincing win in the league, and an absolute humping in the other, yet we need to wait and see now, last year you could tell we were crap, this season we have to wait.

One loss this season and you seem to be absolutely reveling in it. Never seen you use the laughing emoji quite as much.

An 'unconvincing' win where we hit the post twice and had a goal disallowed against a team who beat Aberdeen the following week. The Rangers result was dreadful but not helped by going down to ten men and TBF to Heckingbottom, he tried to stay attacking by putting two strikers on to try and get a point which in hindsight wasn't the right call, but still showed intent.

Looking forward to a good win or two and not hearing a peep from you for a while.

WhileTheChief..
17-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Heading through now.

Expecting a similar game and result as the St Mirren one.

Decent enough day and might be pleasantly surprised!

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2019, 11:49 AM
One loss this season and you seem to be absolutely reveling in it. Never seen you use the laughing emoji quite as much.

An 'unconvincing' win where we hit the post twice and had a goal disallowed against a team who beat Aberdeen the following week. The Rangers result was dreadful but not helped by going down to ten men and TBF to Heckingbottom, he tried to stay attacking by putting two strikers on to try and get a point which in hindsight wasn't the right call, but still showed intent.

Looking forward to a good win or two and not hearing a peep from you for a while.

Me too. :agree:

One loss which was humiliating, and an unconvincing league cup run has lead me to my way of thinking, is this not how it works, it certainly was for callum last season, that's how it works apparently.

According to him the season started with our european games last season, but this season it apparently starts when the league starts, the league cup one of only 2 competitions we can win was pre season, yet our european games, a competition we cant win was the start of our season last year.

Maybe you can explain why i'm a little confused with these inconsistencies?

Northernhibee
17-08-2019, 11:51 AM
Me too. :agree:

One loss which was humiliating, and an unconvincing league cup run has lead me to my way of thinking, is this not how it works, it certainly was for callum last season, that's how it works apparently.

According to him the season started with our european games last season, but this season it apparently starts when the league starts, the league cup one of only 2 competitions we can win was pre season, yet our european games, a competition we cant win was the start of our season last year.

Maybe you can explain why i'm a little confused with these inconsistencies?

Lennon's gone, he was an arse and as a result it's good for everyone. Stop your sulking.

calumhibee1
17-08-2019, 11:57 AM

He had a hard on for me all last summer and it appears he’s got it again.

His latest post about me saying the season doesn’t start until the league starts says it all. I literally said a few weeks ago I wanted us to play a full strength team in the last league cup game because it’s one of the two competitions we can actually win. Yet he’s claiming I’ve said the opposite and of course “doesn’t need to show me” that I said it because he can’t show me that I said it. Because it didn’t happen and he’s making it up.

Lives in a fantasy world. His recollection of the St Mirren game would suggest as much. He’s best ignored and a win today might shut him up. He’ll probably find a way to tell us that we struggled through it though, like the St Mirren game.

calumhibee1
17-08-2019, 12:01 PM

So again, nothing about your fantasy story about me criticising us for scoring 12 goals? Fancy that. You initially chose to have a pop at me out the blue for something that you made up and now you’ve tried to change it round to being about something totally unrelated.

Try and enjoy your afternoon pal. Hopefully a comfortable Hibs win won’t ruin it too much for you.

thegaffer12
17-08-2019, 12:03 PM
Comfortable win for Hibs. Vela to show us what he's all about and all fans to sound a sigh of relief when Doidge scores a tap in.

calumhibee1
17-08-2019, 12:09 PM
Comfortable win for Hibs. Vela to show us what he's all about and all fans to sound a sigh of relief when Doidge scores a tap in.

Agreed. I think we’ll win by 2 or 3.

Fancy Middleton to do some damage.

ancient hibee
17-08-2019, 12:22 PM
I’m not Slivkas biggest fan but I’d be tempted to go with that aswell. Possibly Mallan for Slivka but I’d agree that we’ll struggle to fit Mallan and Allan into a three against better sides so we should be looking to find a three that works rather than just playing our best three.
If there’s one thing certain it’s that if Mallan plays today we will be out of the league cup.

calumhibee1
17-08-2019, 12:24 PM
If there’s one thing certain it’s that if Mallan plays today we will be out of the league cup.

He’s suspended isn’t he :greengrin

To be fair in Scottish football that doesn’t mean it’s a certainty you’re going out. Just look at Hearts :greengrin

JohnMcM
17-08-2019, 12:38 PM

He can't play today can he? Suspended?

Anyway, whether he does or not, we should remember Morton have not been frightened or soft in the tackle so far, so, Mallan's dead ball skill might be missed, or useful if he does play.

:flag:

Edit: He's suspended.

Mr Grieves
17-08-2019, 12:46 PM
I've been raging all week and was adamant I wasn't going to this match....then I had too much to drink last night and bought a ticket. All is forgiven. 3-0 for hibs, Doidge hat trick.

SquashedFrogg

Peach of a post 😀

StevieHendo
I've been raging all week and was adamant I wasn't going to this match....then I had too much to drink last night and bought a ticket. All is forgiven. 3-0 for hibs, Doidge hat trick.

Think your still pissed haha

SquashedFrogg
17-08-2019, 12:47 PM

That's the spirit 👍