PDA

View Full Version : Lennon Out!

I_Love_Latapy
14-08-2019, 04:26 AM
Totally fed up with his random selections and continually blaming the team for defeat and ...

Hold on... wait ... Sorry? Oh right.

Bangkok Hibby
14-08-2019, 05:22 AM
He won't last the season 😂😂😂😂

Since452
14-08-2019, 05:25 AM
Rangers will never have a better chance of winning their first title with Lennon in charge at Celtic

sean04
14-08-2019, 05:34 AM
Totally fed up with his random selections and continually blaming the team for defeat and ...

I wonder who will become his scapegoat at Celtic. Possibly the new left back

Brunswickbill
14-08-2019, 05:45 AM
PETRIE!!!!! I miss the good old days.

Since452
14-08-2019, 05:54 AM
Lennons problem is that he never takes any responsibility. It's always an individual or the teams fault. His team selection was baffling to say the least. To ship 4 goals at home after basically having the tie won is all on him.

eastmainsmsh
14-08-2019, 06:06 AM
if Garry Parker was there they wouldve won lol

Dalianwanda
14-08-2019, 06:14 AM
Not many supporters happy with their teams at the moment Celtic, us, jambos, killie, dons....The Rangers the only top 6 side who are.

Borderhibbie76
14-08-2019, 06:26 AM
All the posts on here since Sunday harping back to the good old days under Lenny...here is a stark reminder to what we suffered from Oct to Jan last year...lenny lotto with team selections, baffling substitutions and a team that couldn't buy a win.
Massive questions remain about Hecky I agree but it wasnt all rosy under Lennon for the last 6 months or so...last night serves as a good reminder of this.

As for Celtic...honestly dont think Sevco will have a better chance to win their 1st title than this season with Lennon at Celtic

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-08-2019, 06:26 AM
I will wait for the comments from Sutton and Hartson.

Dalianwanda
14-08-2019, 06:33 AM
I will wait for the comments from Sutton and Hartson.

Sutton’s already tweeted it’s the boards fault for not investing. Same as he did when NL was with us.

calumhibee1
14-08-2019, 06:33 AM
All the posts on here since Sunday harping back to the good old days under Lenny...here is a stark reminder to what we suffered from Oct to Jan last year...lenny lotto with team selections, baffling substitutions and a team that couldn't buy a win.
Massive questions remain about Hecky I agree but it wasnt all rosy under Lennon for the last 6 months or so...last night serves as a good reminder of this.

As for Celtic...honestly dont think Sevco will have a better chance to win their 1st title than this season with Lennon at Celtic

Agree about Sevco. I’d be stunned if Celtic win another treble this year and I reckon The Rangers will push them all the way in the league.

Borderhibbie76
14-08-2019, 06:36 AM
Agree about Sevco. I’d be stunned if Celtic win another treble this year and I reckon The Rangers will push them all the way in the league.They look well equipped to mate imo...Celtic will be vulnerable to one-off results like last night under Lennon...especially if he loses the plot which is entirely possible. When hes good hes great as we know from his 2nd season with us...but when the going gets tough...He often loses the plot

Booked4Being-Ugly
14-08-2019, 06:39 AM
Wonder if Bill Leckie was impressed with his swashbuckling style last night!

GreenNWhiteArmy
14-08-2019, 06:48 AM
This will be the tightest title race there's been in a long time. Both clubs are so far ahead of the others. Celtic have scored 12 goals in 2 league games.

Unless they sign a GK, CH and CDM the title may just end up at Ibrox

NL might lose the plot but Gerrard is no different. If he continues to throw his players under busses then they'll have bad performances and results too

Barney McGrew
14-08-2019, 06:52 AM
But Celtic will never get anyone better, won’t they?

The_Horde
14-08-2019, 06:54 AM
Lennon's a born winner and he'll never allow Celtic to get beat. Right?

theonlywayisup
14-08-2019, 06:55 AM

As always (well mostly) you write a lot that makes sense.

I'm certainly not advocating a return to Neil Lennon, however he gave us IMO the most exciting and successful league team that I've been fortunate to watch in the last forty years. His teams were a match for the Old Firm and our neighbours across the city. I went to games extremely positive that we would win. I went to games (and left them) with a smile on my face.

However, it all went pear shaped around this time last year when bizarrely we didn't reinforce the team when it was clear to all that we were short of numbers, especially in midfield and up front. That said, you could say that the team we put out against Livingston on 1st September 2018 is arguably stronger than what we played against The Rangers.

I'm not advocating a return to Neil Lennon, but if you look at who we signed during his time, virtually all were players capped at international level (many full internationalist, some U21s). I can't be bothered listing all the players, but they all arrived with a proven experience at a reasonably good level of football. For example, the team against Livingston had Bogdan, Ambrose, Whittaker, Horgan, Maclaren, Agyepong, Hyndman and Slivka that were all signed by Lennon. He added to that team by bringing in Milligan, Omeonga, McNulty (wasn't an internationalist at the time, but is now), Nelom, Marvais and Bigirmama - I know all didn't do well at Hibs, but they were internationalists. Add to that Marciano, Kamberi, Swanson, Big Dave and Barker who he brought in prior to the Livingston game (some who were long gone prior to it).

The point is that he wasn't looking at the lower reaches of the English leagues for players.

FilipinoHibs
14-08-2019, 07:01 AM

I'm certainly not advocating a return to Neil Lennon, however he gave us IMO the most exciting and successful league team that I've been fortunate to watch in the last forty years. His teams were a match for the Old Firm and our neighbours across the city. I went to games extremely positive that we would win. I went to games (and left them) with a smile on my face.

However, it all went pear shaped around this time last year when bizarrely we didn't reinforce the team when it was clear to all that we were short of numbers, especially in midfield and up front. That said, you could say that the team we put out against Livingston on 1st September 2018 is arguably stronger than what we played against The Rangers.

I'm not advocating a return to Neil Lennon, but if you look at who we signed during his time, virtually all were players capped at international level (many full internationalist, some U21s). I can't be bothered listing all the players, but they all arrived with a proven experience at a reasonably good level of football. For example, the team against Livingston had Bogdan, Ambrose, Whittaker, Horgan, Maclaren, Agyepong, Hyndman and Slivka that were all signed by Lennon. He added to that team by bringing in Milligan, Omeonga, McNulty (wasn't an internationalist at the time, but is now), Nelom, Marvais and Bigirmama - I know all didn't do well at Hibs, but they were internationalists. Add to that Marciano, Kamberi, Swanson, Big Dave and Barker who he brought in prior to the Livingston game (some who were long gone prior to it).

The point is that he wasn't looking at the lower reaches of the English leagues for players.

Which period are you referring to: the turgid struggle to get promoted; the first half of our first season back in the SPL; or how he led us down the table in the second season back on to the fringes of a relegation battle?

matty_f
14-08-2019, 07:04 AM

He’s a fraud. :greengrin

The_Horde
14-08-2019, 07:05 AM
He’s a fraud. :greengrin

Deary me. LTYF

Hibby Bairn
14-08-2019, 07:08 AM
We certainly wouldn’t have had a team that went down 6-1 at Ibrox imo.

FilipinoHibs
14-08-2019, 07:10 AM
Deary me. LTYF

Yes without the resources he fails and blames everybody but himself. In public and private. Takes the huff and does not turn up for press conferences. Provocative behaviour by the touchline and on the pitch. So glad he has gone.

neil7908
14-08-2019, 07:13 AM
Sutton’s already tweeted it’s the boards fault for not investing. Same as he did when NL was with us.

There's a surprise. Happy stick the boot in to all and sundry but when it's one of their pals, blame someone else 🙄🙄🙄

Heisenberg
14-08-2019, 07:14 AM

But we would’ve had a team that would get pumped 4-1 (going on 6/7) at Aberdeen or 3-0 (going on 5/6) at Kilmarnock? Every manager has a bad result like we got on Sunday. If PH doesn’t recover he’ll get sacked and we’ll move on. If he has us winning games after Sunday it’ll soon be forgotten.

Folk are getting quite misty eyed about what Lennon did against the huns and Celtc but are quite conveniently forgetting all of the times he failed against Hearts, Aberdeen and the rest.

neil7908
14-08-2019, 07:15 AM

We lost 4-0 when he was manager with 11 men on the park to an Aberdeen team that were much weaker than Rangers side we faced on Sunday.

Danderhall Hibs
14-08-2019, 07:15 AM

You can’t say that - we didn’t have a team that done that while he was here but we were on a downward spiral so maybe the pumpings by the likes of Aberdeen and Killie were a sign of things to come.

Brightside
14-08-2019, 07:17 AM

So they were found by the recruitment team? So we have this right.....any pish players are the fault of the recruitment team, and the good ones are down to Lennon. :na na:

DH1875
14-08-2019, 07:44 AM

Did they no spend £7 million on some defender lol. If that's not backing him, what is :greengrin

I_Love_Latapy
14-08-2019, 07:45 AM

This is exactly the point I was attempting to make.

Reminds us that none of this is easy. By all means feel uneasy but IMHO we need to give PH ten games with new squad before we can really start to judge.

Since452
14-08-2019, 07:50 AM
We play Morton on Saturday. The last time we played them was under Neil Lennon. We drew with them 0-0 at ER (shock). Be interesting to see if there's an improvement on that.

Scorrie
14-08-2019, 07:55 AM
Did they no spend £7 million on some defender lol. If that's not backing him, what is :greengrin

Aye they did... and Lennon left him on the bench and played one of his more effective midfielders at LB! nothing to do with board backing, just rank rotten team selection and tactics

Borderhibbie76
14-08-2019, 08:03 AM
This is exactly the point I was attempting to make.

Reminds us that none of this is easy. By all means feel uneasy but IMHO we need to give PH ten games with new squad before we can really start to judge.Bang on mate let's see where we are after 11 league games and played everyone once ...I too remain unconvinced about Hecky but let's give him some time and not knee jerk to one...albeit a shocker...of a result

jeffers
14-08-2019, 08:14 AM
But but winning mentality, won't stand for mediocrity and all the other pish posted about Lennon.

After a slow start to last season Rodgers had them unstoppable from the turn of the year Lennon came in and they looked a lot worse. When he was appointed permanently I said I thought the Huns would win the league, nothing has changed my mind on that one.

jellybean
14-08-2019, 08:35 AM

Agree with this 100%. Some fans have selective memories. I'll readily admit that I was never a fan of Lennon though.

JXM73
14-08-2019, 08:45 AM
He's been Rangers best signing this year...

Keith_M
14-08-2019, 09:20 AM

Absofleckinlutely!

:singing:
There's only one Neil Lennon

Lee Marvin
14-08-2019, 09:26 AM
We lost 4-0 when he was manager with 11 men on the park to an Aberdeen team that were much weaker than Rangers side we faced on Sunday.

Nah, that's wiznae Lenny's fault. Couldnae be, man is a born winner and just wouldnae accept that.

Lee Marvin
14-08-2019, 09:32 AM
This Lenny love in from a vast section of our support does my head it.

He was in the job for 2.5 years. In thst time, he performed above average (exceptionally) for 6 months, below average for 6 months and probably around par for 18 months.

I would urge anyone to argue against that?

He was average during his time at hibs, nothing more, nothing less. I think his passion and will to stand up for the club in the media gloss over a lot of his inadequacies

theonlywayisup
14-08-2019, 09:56 AM

He was in the job for 2.5 years. In thst time, he performed above average (exceptionally) for 6 months, below average for 6 months and probably around par for 18 months.

He was average during his time at hibs, nothing more, nothing less. I think his passion and will to stand up for the club in the media gloss over a lot of his inadequacies

Don't think anyone is disagreeing with your view on Lennon's time with Hibs.

As I've said above, IMO he gave us the most exciting and successful league team that I've been fortunate to watch in the last forty years. Okay, it might only have lasted six months, but that six month spell is the best I've ever seen watching Hibs. Only Stubbs (I'm talking about the league) and Mowbray built teams that came close to that level of performance and sustained it every week; a period when I really did believe that Hibs could become the best team in Scotland.

It's easy to highlight the negative times, and yes there were many, but I would prefer to remember the good times.

Your first point about the Lennon love-in by the vast section of our support is so far of the mark. I don't see much love and why should there be. What I have is an admiration for what he achieved in that six month period.

Bangkok Hibby
14-08-2019, 10:29 AM
Bang on mate let's see where we are after 11 league games and played everyone once ...I too remain unconvinced about Hecky but let's give him some time and not knee jerk to one...albeit a shocker...of a result

Last year Lennon repeatedly said "judge the team after 20 games" If I remember correctly we were 8th after 20 games. I'd wager we'll be higher than that under Heckingbottom.

brog
14-08-2019, 10:44 AM
Lennons problem is that he never takes any responsibility. It's always an individual or the teams fault. His team selection was baffling to say the least. To ship 4 goals at home after basically having the tie won is all on him.

Last time a Lennon team shipped 4 goals at Celtic Park was us last October. We started with a back 3 of Lewis, a half fit Darren & Efe. Eerily familiar to last night where he left defenders costing £10m on the bench & played a midfielder at left back. He's on the slippery slope.

FilipinoHibs
14-08-2019, 10:50 AM
Last time a Lennon team shipped 4 goals at Celtic Park was us last October. We started with a back 3 of Lewis, a half fit Darren & Efe. Eerily familiar to last night where he left defenders costing £10m on the bench & played a midfielder at left back. He's on the slippery slope.

He no longer has his trusted assisted who did most of thinking.

MWHIBBIES
14-08-2019, 11:07 AM

No, we'd have drawn, then lost to St Johnstone in 2 weeks.

Jim44
14-08-2019, 11:13 AM
I enjoyed some good moments with Lennon at the helm but a lot of the time was frustrating, annoying and embarrassing. On balance I’m glad he’s no longer at ER.

Since452
14-08-2019, 11:30 AM

Yup. Actually feel sorry for the young lad McGregor playing at LB last night. Hung him out to dry.

HoboHarry
14-08-2019, 11:37 AM
Phil Mac doesn't miss Peter Lawwell in his blog....

https://philmacgiollabhain.ie/2019/08/14/trouble-in-paradise/

MWHIBBIES
14-08-2019, 11:49 AM
Yup. Actually feel sorry for the young lad McGregor playing at LB last night. Hung him out to dry.

He's 26 :greengrin

Weir07
14-08-2019, 12:01 PM

As I've said above, IMO he gave us the most exciting and successful league team that I've been fortunate to watch in the last forty years. Okay, it might only have lasted six months, but that six month spell is the best I've ever seen watching Hibs. Only Stubbs (I'm talking about the league) and Mowbray built teams that came close to that level of performance and sustained it every week; a period when I really did believe that Hibs could become the best team in Scotland.

It's easy to highlight the negative times, and yes there were many, but I would prefer to remember the good times.

Your first point about the Lennon love-in by the vast section of our support is so far of the mark. I don't see much love and why should there be. What I have is an admiration for what he achieved in that six month period.

Got to take a bit of issue with that statement, all the below were more exciting teams in my opinion.

Wright, Jackson, O'Neill, McAllister team under Miller (a bright spot in a turgid 10 year reign I grant you)

Latapy, Sauzee, O'Neill, Zitelli under McLeish

Brown, O'Connor, Riordan, Thompson under Mowbray

14-08-2019, 12:05 PM
We play Morton on Saturday. The last time we played them was under Neil Lennon. We drew with them 0-0 at ER (shock). Be interesting to see if there's an improvement on that.

Don't think Lennon had a very good record for us against St Johnstone either. In fact did he beat them at all? If he did, I'd guess we lost more than we won. So that's the next 2 matches Heckingbottom should hopefully do better than Lennon in. It's a low bar though.

Greencore
14-08-2019, 12:06 PM

Like fans are here with PH?
We're not in a position to slag off any team right now.

Hibernia&Alba
14-08-2019, 12:10 PM
Had a 7 million pound centre back and a 3 million pound left back on the bench; Sinclair, one of their best players, wasn't even a sub; McGregor, one of their most creative midfielders, at left back.

That's how you concede four at home to a team you should be beating. Lots of Celtic fans calling for his sacking; most didn't want him re-appointed in the first place.

Swedish hibee
14-08-2019, 12:14 PM
Chris Sutton gone a bit quiet on his twitter... Not wanting to upset his mate?

WhileTheChief..
14-08-2019, 12:57 PM

The Lennon haters do my head in.

I had more fun going to ER during his time than any other manager.

The crowds came back under him and there was a real buzz around the ground.

And yeah, we loved how he stood up for our club. We’d been crying out for that for decades.

How do you feel when you leave ER nowadays?

Jumping with excitement as you talk to your mates about the game on your way home??

I doubt it. It sucks just now and no amount of Lennon hating will change that.

One Day Soon
14-08-2019, 01:03 PM

And yeah, we loved how he stood up for our club. We’d been crying out for that for decades.

Jumping with excitement as you talk to your mates about the game on your way home??

It's 2035 and somewhere on what remains of .net there are a group of Lennon haters STILL going on and on and ****ing on about him.

Fenlon and Calderwood were atrocious, truly the pits, but it's Lennon they love to hate.

Lee Marvin
14-08-2019, 01:10 PM

He has had 2 league games with his team so far. Two!!! Granted the signs are not overly promising, but we really have no idea how heckingbottom will do. Not one person on this board does.

Lennon flattered to deceive at times due to his tempestuous and charismatic character, which was refreshing and exciting to the fans (myself included).

He had run his course though and was almost certainly taking hibs to a bottom 6 finish due to self implosion.

He is gone now and folk need to stop ruminating on a tenure that actually wasn't that successful. I believe this is hindering Heckingbottoms relationship with the fans.

Hi Heid Yin
14-08-2019, 01:11 PM

:top marks

flash
14-08-2019, 01:13 PM

If that was the most fun I take it you are 12.

Hi Heid Yin
14-08-2019, 01:15 PM
He has had 2 league games with his team so far. Two!!! Granted the signs are not overly promising, but we really have no idea how heckingbottom will do. Not one person on this board does.

Lennon flattered to deceive at times due to his tempestuous and charismatic character, which was refreshing and exciting to the fans (myself included).

He had run his course though and was almost certainly taking hibs to a bottom 6 finish due to self implosion.

He is gone now and folk need to stop ruminating on a tenure that actually wasn't that successful. I believe this is hindering Heckingbottoms relationship with the fans.

Yes, guiding us to promotion as League champions and then into Europe, with the most exciting football many of us had not enjoyed since the heady days of The Tornadoes, wasn't that Successful!
:rolleyes:

Hi Heid Yin
14-08-2019, 01:16 PM

:top marksWith you all the way in your take on Lennon.

WhileTheChief..
14-08-2019, 01:17 PM
I’m 47.

Can’t recall more fun at ER than under NL.

Auld, Stanton, Blackley, Miller, Williamson, Duffy, McLeish, Mixu, Hughes, Collins, Fenlon, Calderwood, Butcher and Stubbs.

There weren’t that many fun times with these guys as manager from memory.

Maybe you see it differently? Are you 90 and got to enjoy the famous 5 regularly?!

supermcginn
14-08-2019, 01:21 PM
I’m 47.

Auld, Stanton, Blackley, Miller, Williamson, Duffy, McLeish, Mixu, Hughes, Collins, Fenlon, Calderwood, Butcher and Stubbs.

Maybe you see it differently? Are you 90 and got to enjoy the famous 5 regularly?!
Seriously? We didn't even get to a final under him or even finish 3rd? Mental

Lee Marvin
14-08-2019, 01:25 PM
Yes, guiding us to promotion as League champions and then into Europe, with the most exciting football many of us had not enjoyed since the heady days of The Tornadoes, wasn't that Successful!

If he didn't get us promoted from that league he would have been up there with the worst managers in our history. He did his job well, nothing more.

Yogi and Fenlon took us into Europe. What is your point?

How was he doing in his last season here?

He was a good manager who played exciting football. I get it. But he was no messiah and heckingbottom may actually turn out to be better, but some have made their mind up already due to who hos predecessor was.

Since452
14-08-2019, 01:26 PM
I’m 47.

Mowbray and McLeish era were better than Lennons good 5 month spell in 2 years. The rest was turgid bordering on dire.

Hi Heid Yin
14-08-2019, 01:28 PM
Neil Lennon excited and for a while we felt invincible and able to take on any team in Scotland, including the Glasgow giants.

Not since the halcyon days of the Tornadoes had I felt so good about our club or where it was going under our temperamental but charismatic manager.

Crowds were up, the football was breath-taking at times and the atmosphere at games, electric.

Granted we hit a slump, but he, given the time would undoubtedly have turned things around.

We now have a fear-driven character at the helm whose personality has transmitted onto the football we are seeing.

Fergos
14-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Neil Lennon excited and for a while we felt invincible and able to take on any team in Scotland, including the Glasgow giants.
It felt good to be a Hibby and made our way down Easter Road to the games.
I personally had never felt so good about our club or where it was going under our temperamental but charismatic manager.
Crowds were up, the football was breath-taking at times and the atmosphere at games, electric.
Granted we hit a slump, but he, given the time would undoubtedly have turned things around.

We now have a fear-driven Yorkshireman at the helm whose personality has transmitted onto the football we are seeing.

Even through the tougher times it always feels good to be a Hibernian, win, lose or draw, my passion is full time and permanent.

GGTTH

WhileTheChief..
14-08-2019, 01:34 PM
Seriously? We didn't even get to a final under him or even finish 3rd? Mental

I have never said I thought he was our best manager, simply that he was my favourite.

It's not just about the results for me, probably isn't for many Hibs fans.

It's as much a social thing. Meeting up with friends and family for the game and having a decent day. We had plenty of them under NL and pretty much none since he left.

No point having a go at me by the way. Just compare your own experiences of going to games under NL to now. It's night and day around the stadium.

Listen to folks chat as they leave the ground. There was never this much negativity under NL, even during his 'disastrous' spell.

Anyways, you crack on hating him if you like, i wonder what your thoughts on PH will be by the time he leaves!!!

Paisley Hibby
14-08-2019, 01:35 PM

Correct - as in not investing in a decent manager - but he probably didn't mean that 😂

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2019, 01:38 PM
While Rome is burning and we are watching the likes of Newell and Doige at Easter Road, there will always be some who cling onto the last part of Neil Lennon's time at Hibs as a comfort blanket. :faf:

Barman Stanton
14-08-2019, 01:41 PM
I’m 47.

No fun times under McLeish with the likes of Sauzee and Latapy in the team? 6-2 and the 0-3 Millennium derby are 2 of my favourite ever Hibs games.

Also plenty fun times under Stubbs, the wins against Hearts and Rangers, Cup runs...

The 90+2
14-08-2019, 01:42 PM

It sucked before Lennon left also.

silverhibee
14-08-2019, 01:44 PM

Not since the halcyon days of the Tornadoes had I felt so good about our club or where it was going under our temperamental but charismatic manager.

We now have a fear-driven character at the helm whose personality has transmitted onto the football we are seeing.

Your 1st sentence, that has been felt under Mowbray Stubbs and even Calderwood where we have went west and got decent results, it just didn't start under Lennon, breathtaking, your having a laugh, Mowbrays team was way more exciting.

We get it, you can't see past Lennon even when we were tumbling down the league but can't wait to put the boot into our new manager who has won 1 and lost 1 at the start of the season.

The 90+2
Mowbray and McLeish era were better than Lennons good 5 month spell in 2 years. The rest was turgid bordering on dire.

Mcleish especially both the year we came back up and the year we finished third and made the Scottish cup final. Beating Celtic Rangers and Hesrts many a time along the way.

Since90+2
I’m 47.

Surely Stubbs winning the Scottish cup brought more fun than anything Lennon achieved no?

Paisley Hibby
14-08-2019, 01:45 PM
I wonder who will become his scapegoat at Celtic. Possibly the new left back

Who, according to rumours, wasn't signed by Lennon and the other players don't rate him....look out for Kamberiesque treatment of this guy by Lennon.

flash
14-08-2019, 01:46 PM
While Rome is burning and we are watching the likes of Newell and Doige at Easter Road, there will always be some who cling onto the last part of Neil Lennon's time at Hibs as a comfort blanket. :faf:

How exactly is Rome burning? The club is nowhere near the state it was in during the period under Lennon you mention in your post.
We have a new owner, a relatively new manager and plenty new players.
Yes we are all concerned after Sunday but surely we give them all at least a little time to make things better.

Keith_M
14-08-2019, 01:48 PM
I have never said I thought he was our best manager, simply that he was my favourite.

It's as much a social thing. Meeting up with friends and family for the game and having a decent day. We had plenty of them under NL and pretty much none since he left.

No point having a go at me by the way. Just compare your own experiences of going to games under NL to now. It's night and day around the stadium.

Listen to folks chat as they leave the ground. There was never this much negativity under NL, even during his 'disastrous' spell.

Anyways, you crack on hating him if you like, i wonder what your thoughts on PH will be by the time he leaves!!!

There were quite a few times leaving ER that I marvelled at the fact we had the best midfield in Scotland: McGinn, McGeouch and Allan. We were fortunate enough to have two fantastic GKs (very unusual for Hibs), decent defenders and a strike partnership that just seemed to gel. Some of these players were brought to the club by Lennon and some not.

There were other times when I left games wondering what that was I had just watched and how what had been such a good team seemed to have turned into a mediocre side with a strange setup and no apparent game-plan.

I don't hate Lennon, I look back and saviour the decent games... but I recognise that he didn't appear to know what to do when the reality of managing a side with limited finances sunk in... losing some of its best players and not having the money to replace them.

Last season, he also didn't appear to be happy at Hibs and many of us were unhappy with his bizarre behaviour at the latter end, though that doesn't mean I still hold a grudge.

He's now the Celtc manager, and I defend the right to take the p1ss out of him and his club when results don't go their way. Exactly the same way I would if it was The Rangers.

Hi Heid Yin
14-08-2019, 01:48 PM
If he didn't get us promoted from that league he would have been up there with the worst managers in our history. He did his job well, nothing more.

Yogi and Fenlon took us into Europe. What is your point?

How was he doing in his last season here?

He was a good manager who played exciting football. I get it. But he was no messiah and heckingbottom may actually turn out to be better, but some have made their mind up already due to who hos predecessor was.

Any manager coming in after Neil Lennon was going to have a battle on his hands to win over hearts and minds.

The Lennon era was exciting and never boring, even during the slump.

Football is, after all is said and done, entertainment, and Neil Lennon entertained many of we Hibbies big time, and for that I will always be grateful.

franck sauzee
14-08-2019, 01:49 PM
I’m 47.

So being top of the league for 13 games or whatever it was under McLeish wasn't exciting? Still think knocking down the west had an adverse effect on that season

Heisenberg
14-08-2019, 01:52 PM
How exactly is Rome burning? The club is nowhere near the state it was in during the period under Lennon you mention in your post.
We have a new owner, a relatively new manager and plenty new players.
Yes we are all concerned after Sunday but surely we give them all at least a little time to make things better.

Of course not. BH has already decided everything is ***** and is letting us all know regularly.

The 90+2
14-08-2019, 01:55 PM
So being top of the league for 13 games or whatever it was under McLeish wasn't exciting? Still think knocking down the west had an adverse effect on that season

When did we go too for 13 games? I remember going top after beating the huns or maybe even Aberdeen at Pittodrie (both Zitelli) but soon go thumped by Celtic 3-0 at Parkhead soon after. That was my best season following Hibs. Motherwell away, Dundee away, 6/2 obviously, good draw at Parkhead (Libra) and the Quarter final at Rugby Park among the highlights.

Hi Heid Yin
14-08-2019, 01:55 PM
Your 1st sentence, that has been felt under Mowbray Stubbs and even Calderwood where we have went west and got decent results, it just didn't start under Lennon, breathtaking, your having a laugh, Mowbrays team was way more exciting.

We get it, you can't see past Lennon even when we were tumbling down the league but can't wait to put the boot into our new manager who has won 1 and lost 1 at the start of the season.

It wasn't all about results for me.

Every single manager in history hits a slump to some degree.

Ferguson was one game away from being sacked by Man U.

It was about the feel-good factor under this particular manager and the buzz I felt surrounding our club through the bulk of his tenure.

Yes, he was flawed, tempestuous and erratic, but these merely added to the entertainment.

Given time, he would have turned things around and guided us into the top 6 last season.

Since452
14-08-2019, 02:00 PM

Wee Pat Fenlon would have won that league with Hibs. Giving credit to Lennon for being champions of that poor Championship with endless draws and without Rangers or Hearts with 1 more point than Stubbs managed is a bit much.

WhileTheChief..
14-08-2019, 02:02 PM
No fun times under McLeish with the likes of Sauzee and Latapy in the team? 6-2 and the 0-3 Millennium derby are 2 of my favourite ever Hibs games.

Also plenty fun times under Stubbs, the wins against Hearts and Rangers, Cup runs...

Crikey, I never said none, just not so many!

Of course going back over 40 years there will be games that were amazing and exciting.

What I'm saying is that I enjoyed his spell more than others. Why do you all have to piss on my chips about it?? Do you hate the guy so much that you need everyone else to feel the same way?

Anyways, I'm sure you're loving what's on offer now. I feel for you - you'll be gutted when PH leaves and then you'll know how I feel about NL leaving :na na:

The 90+2
14-08-2019, 02:05 PM
Wee Pat Fenlon would have won that league with Hibs. Giving credit to Lennon for being champions of that poor Championship without Rangers or Hearts with 1 more point than Stubbs managed is a bit much.

Especially when McLeishs Hibs absolutely *****ed the Div 1 title with Sauzee and Latapy in it. 23 points ahead of Falkirk. 89 points we had in the end.

supermcginn
14-08-2019, 02:08 PM

At least ph has managed a win at tynecastle, all lennon done was lose, draw or embarrass the club there with his antics, mcleish's time was by far the most I've enjoyed and its not even close.

franck sauzee
14-08-2019, 02:09 PM
When did we go too for 13 games? I remember going top after beating the huns or maybe even Aberdeen at Pittodrie (both Zitelli) but soon go thumped by Celtic 3-0 at Parkhead soon after. That was my best season following Hibs. Motherwell away, Dundee away, 6/2 obviously, good draw at Parkhead (Libra) and the Quarter final at Rugby Park among the highlights.

We won 11 of the first 14 games

Roxyhibee
14-08-2019, 02:10 PM
I’m 47.

You honestly cannot be serious.

I really like a lot about Lennon as a person and he was a good manager for us and got some great results at Ibrox, against Celtic etc. But he lacked consistency, both in results and team selection and had mini collapses at points in both seasons saved only by January transfers. And his teams were definitely not always ‘up for it’ as this thread has exposed some of the results under him. Imagine Heckingbottom being 0-3 down against Hamilton at home and being allowed to even get to his car to get home.?!

Our 2 full seasons under McLeish when we came a clear third place in one of them, the millennium 3-0 thrashing of them at Tyny, 6-2, 3-1, Sauzee, Latapy, SC Final, AEK, etc.

Then there was Mowbray and our golden generation - wonderful football and all our own laddies. Amazing time. Two 3-0’s at Ibrox. And setting the ground for the famous 2007 LC victory.

Lennon doesn’t even come close to those times for excitement or just about anything else. Surely.

#2 Double Tap
14-08-2019, 02:10 PM
It wasn't all about results for me.

Every single manager in history hits a slump to some degree.

Ferguson was one game away from being sacked by Man U.

It was about the feel-good factor under this particular manager and the buzz I felt surrounding our club through the bulk of his tenure.

Yes, he was flawed, tempestuous and erratic, but these merely added to the entertainment.

Given time, he would have turned things around and guided us into the top 6 last season.

He was good to begin with, no question, but he did lose the plot and had started coming across pretty negatively though, would it have continued is anyones guess and we will never get to find out now.....

I wish it turned out differently for him, but it never! His main fault wasnt any of his character flaws, it was his failure to sign 2 quality central midfielders and that proved to be the root cause of his demise.

Barman Stanton
14-08-2019, 02:12 PM
Crikey, I never said none, just not so many!

Of course going back over 40 years there will be games that were amazing and exciting.

What I'm saying is that I enjoyed his spell more than others. Why do you all have to piss on my chips about it?? Do you hate the guy so much that you need everyone else to feel the same way?

Anyways, I'm sure you're loving what's on offer now. I feel for you - you'll be gutted when PH leaves and then you'll know how I feel about NL leaving :na na:

Haha, not at all. Lennon was one of my favourite Hibs managers and I was gutted the way it turned out. I just prefered to watch us under McLeish, Mowbray and Stubbs.

And no not really enjoying whats going on at the moment. But I also don't think its as bad as some are making out. I think after playing everyone once will be a better indication of where we are at.

Marvellous
14-08-2019, 02:14 PM
Wee Pat Fenlon would have won that league with Hibs. Giving credit to Lennon for being champions of that poor Championship with endless draws and without Rangers or Hearts with 1 more point than Stubbs managed is a bit much.

This boy is taking a pounding on the forum at the moment, he had a better record than John Hughes and Mixu Paatalainen despite inheriting an infinitely pisher squad, courtesy of Colin Calderwood. Never seem to hear Hughes or Mixu being ridiculed on the forum :confused:

The 90+2
14-08-2019, 02:15 PM
We won 11 of the first 14 games

👍 Celtic started well though too. I missed one game all that season. You can even throw in the Matty Jack Utd game in for good measure that season too :greengrin

Diclonius
14-08-2019, 02:16 PM
The best seasons I've ever witnessed as a Hibs fan were 14-15, 15-16, 16-17 and 17-18.

For all the misgivings the Championship years were great. We won most weekends with a team full of genuinely good quality players, had a winning record against Hearts/Rangers/top flight clubs (something we barely managed when we were actually in the top flight), did very well in the cups and got into Europe twice. And that's not even mentioning the cup win.

Lennon has his part to play in that but he moved on at the right time IMO. The big question is how things would have gone if Stubbs had stayed.

#2 Double Tap
14-08-2019, 02:19 PM
This boy is taking a pounding on the forum at the moment, he had a better record than John Hughes and Mixu Paatalainen despite inheriting an infinitely pisher squad, courtesy of Colin Calderwood. Never seem to hear Hughes or Mixu being ridiculed on the forum :confused:

you always back up the family in public, even when they are in the wrong!:greengrin

WhileTheChief..
14-08-2019, 02:20 PM

I really like a lot about Lennon as a person and he was a good manager for us and got some great results at Ibrox, against Celtic etc. But he lacked consistency, both in results and team selection and had mini collapses at points in both seasons saved only by January transfers. And his teams were definitely not always ‘up for it’ as this thread has exposed some of the results under him. Imagine Heckingbottom being 0-3 down against Hamilton at home and being allowed to even get to his car to get home.?!

Our 2 full seasons under McLeish when we came a clear third place in one of them, the millennium 3-0 thrashing of them at Tyny, 6-2, 3-1, Sauzee, Latapy, SC Final, AEK, etc.

Then there was Mowbray and our golden generation - wonderful football and all our own laddies. Amazing time. Two 3-0’s at Ibrox. And setting the ground for the famous 2007 LC victory.

Lennon doesn’t even come close to those times for excitement or just about anything else. Surely.

And here's the thing, I'm not about to tell you you're wrong, cause it's how you feel.

We're not talking stats or hard facts here, we're talking about feelings - there is no right or wrong.

Similarly, I feel differently about it. Why then do you and others want to constantly tell those of us who liked Lennon that we are wrong to?

Roxyhibee
14-08-2019, 02:40 PM
And here's the thing, I'm not about to tell you you're wrong, cause it's how you feel.

We're not talking stats or hard facts here, we're talking about feelings - there is no right or wrong.

Similarly, I feel differently about it. Why then do you and others want to constantly tell those of us who liked Lennon that we are wrong to?

Ok, fair enough man. As you can see in my post, I liked him too and he was the perfect appointment to take the club forward after the feel good factor of the Cup win. I also looked forward to games under him. He gave me a Saturday morning buzz I hadn’t had for some time.

Just you’ve been supporting Hibs for nearly 50 years and those two periods under McLeish and Mowbray were incredible. You must have gone to the games at those times.

I hope Lennon is recalled favourably by us in the future, and we can both agree on that.

Hibernia&Alba
14-08-2019, 02:45 PM
What's his issue with Sinclair? He's a cracking player, yet Lennon seems to have decided from his first day that he wants Sinclair out. Didn't even put on the bench last night. Baffling.

Marvellous
14-08-2019, 02:55 PM
What's his issue with Sinclair? He's a cracking player, yet Lennon seems to have decided from his first day that he wants Sinclair out. Didn't even put on the bench last night. Baffling.

He hasn't played consistently well in years and he's got the heart of a mouse. Probably a high earner as well so I'd want him off the wage bill too if it was Hibs we were talking about.

#2 Double Tap
14-08-2019, 02:56 PM

sinclair has lost the hunger for it at parkhead, shved and arzani, are probably more eager to impress, plus forrest and johnston are better players and hayes, would run through walls for celtic. all imo

Hibernia&Alba
14-08-2019, 03:07 PM
He hasn't played consistently well in years and he's got the heart of a mouse. Probably a high earner as well so I'd want him off the wage bill too if it was Hibs we were talking about.

sinclair has lost the hunger for it at parkhead, shved and arzani, are probably more eager to impress, plus forrest and johnston are better players and hayes, would run through walls for celtic. all imo

Cool. I think they would be poorer without him, but, as you as you say, perhaps he too wants away. They could have done with him last night.

J-C
14-08-2019, 03:12 PM
Bored our way to winning the Championship against nobody, had a massive turnover of players every January due to poor summer signings and got lucky playing 3-5-2 due to injury to Gray and getting Allan back. Was lucky enough to have all his main players fit and playing at their best and just missed 2nd, McGeouch didn't re sign due to him and we know of his Flo outbursts, then add the lottery of team selections.

Some good times under Lennon but never the best I've ever seen, Tornadoes or Mowbray's team wins that.

Hi Heid Yin
14-08-2019, 08:54 PM
He was good to begin with, no question, but he did lose the plot and had started coming across pretty negatively though, would it have continued is anyones guess and we will never get to find out now.....

I wish it turned out differently for him, but it never! His main fault wasnt any of his character flaws, it was his failure to sign 2 quality central midfielders and that proved to be the root cause of his demise.

I agree with the bit in bold.

Losing the best midfield in Scotland would impact any manager.

We are still 2 quality central midfielders short under Heckingbottom, even though we do have Scott Allan.

The_Horde
14-08-2019, 08:59 PM
[/I][/B]

I agree with the bit in bold.

Losing the best midfield in Scotland would impact any manager.

We are still 2 quality central midfielders short under Heckingbottom, even though we do have Scott Allan.

Without Lennon, we could've kept a small part of that midfield.

Hi Heid Yin
14-08-2019, 09:06 PM

Please elaborate?

jacomo
14-08-2019, 09:10 PM
Please elaborate?

I think the implication is that Dylan would have signed a new contract under a different manager.

This may or may not be true.

Greencore
14-08-2019, 09:12 PM

Doubt it.

FilipinoHibs
14-08-2019, 09:13 PM

Lost confidence and has the heart of a mouse.

Hibeesmad
14-08-2019, 09:14 PM
I think the implication is that Dylan would have signed a new contract under a different manager.

I was always under the impression that Dylan had a fantastic relationship with Lennon. Praised him in the media several times, gave him his debut at Celtic and signed him from the huns for them after going to Dylan’s house personally to persuade him to sign.

Northernhibee
14-08-2019, 09:16 PM

Possibly Fyvie too.

Hi Heid Yin
14-08-2019, 09:32 PM

If anything, it is downright malicious to suggest that McGeough did not sign another contract because of Neil Lennon.

McGeough knew his worth and, through his agent, knew that he was desired by other clubs.
His agent would have pushed and pushed to get the best financial deal for his client. End of.

J-C
14-08-2019, 10:01 PM
If anything, it is downright malicious to suggest that McGeough did not sign another contract because of Neil Lennon.

McGeough knew his worth and, through his agent, knew that he was desired by other clubs.
His agent would have pushed and pushed to get the best financial deal for his client. End of.

It turned sour when Lennon accused him that his injuries were in his head even though he spent his own money to see a specialist for his hip problems, Dylan take too well at being called a liar and a bit of a charlatan.

The Modfather
14-08-2019, 10:10 PM

You can add spells under Collins too. Remember winning at Ibrox to go top after 11 games or so as well as wins like 6-1 away at Motherwell.

neil7908
14-08-2019, 11:07 PM
Neil Lennon is born winner. Except for the numerous times he doesn't win.

Then it's definitely someone else's fault.

JOD
14-08-2019, 11:31 PM
I think I would rather listen to what Marv had to say about N L last night about his man management than some of the know it all keyboard warriors on here.
Hail Hail.

Hi Heid Yin
14-08-2019, 11:36 PM
I was always under the impression that Dylan had a fantastic relationship with Lennon. Praised him in the media several times, gave him his debut at Celtic and signed him from the huns for them after going to Dylan’s house personally to persuade him to sign.

This was my impression too.
But one or two of the anti-Lennon brigade will see it otherwise.

Since452
15-08-2019, 05:16 AM
Neil Lennon is born winner. Except for the numerous times he doesn't win.

Then it's definitely someone else's fault.

And his teams never capitulate unless it's against Aberdeen, Cluj or Kilmarnock

SquashedFrogg
15-08-2019, 07:52 AM
It turned sour when Lennon accused him that his injuries were in his head even though he spent his own money to see a specialist for his hip problems, Dylan take too well at being called a liar and a bit of a charlatan.

A bit of fantasy here. Lennon was pointing to the fact that players can have psychological barriers getting over injuries. i.e. Physically they're fit but need to get that into their head.

Dylan went for more money and to a bigger club. Not really that unusual.

J-C
15-08-2019, 08:01 AM
A bit of fantasy here. Lennon was pointing to the fact that players can have psychological barriers getting over injuries. i.e. Physically they're fit but need to get that into their head.

Dylan went for more money and to a bigger club. Not really that unusual.

Nope, he called out Dylan publicly accusing him of suddenly being fit due to his contract nearing it's end. He accused other players of not manning up and playing through injuries, didn't help Hanlon that eh as he struggled at the end of the season.

Danderhall Hibs
15-08-2019, 08:13 AM
Nope, he called out Dylan publicly accusing him of suddenly being fit due to his contract nearing it's end. He accused other players of not manning up and playing through injuries, didn't help Hanlon that eh as he struggled at the end of the season.

He accused all the injured players last year of faking it. Just around the time when Porteous played on with a “popped out” knee.

SquashedFrogg
15-08-2019, 08:56 AM

He blames players for most things. It's still not why he left us for Sunderland.

J-C
15-08-2019, 09:09 AM
He blames players for most things. It's still not why he left us for Sunderland.

Not the whole reason but part of it.

Northernhibee
15-08-2019, 09:16 AM

Didn't help Porteous either who has been out of the game for months.

SquashedFrogg
15-08-2019, 09:16 AM
Not the whole reason but part of it.

Not convinced tbh. Seemed to play well and happy enough at end of season.

Career/financial move for me. Same reason most other players leave.

J-C
15-08-2019, 09:18 AM
Didn't help Porteous either who has been out of the game for months.

That was one of the worst man management decisions I've seen in football.

J-C
15-08-2019, 09:19 AM
Not convinced tbh. Seemed to play well and happy enough at end of season.

Career/financial move for me. Same reason most other players leave.

I was told there was very little difference in either offer, maybe we'll never find out exactly why though.

Tyler Durden
15-08-2019, 09:43 AM

On what planet did Pat Fenlon have a better record than Yogi or Mixu?

Diclonius
15-08-2019, 09:49 AM
On what planet did Pat Fenlon have a better record than Yogi or Mixu?

Fenlon had a win percentage (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hibernian_F.C._managers) of 35.6%, higher than Yogi (35.2%) and Mixu (30.7%).

People tend to forget that in the 2012-13 season we did threaten top six at one point before some unreal referee decisions.

Northernhibee
15-08-2019, 09:56 AM
Fenlon had a win percentage (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hibernian_F.C._managers) of 35.6%, higher than Yogi (35.2%) and Mixu (30.7%).

People tend to forget that in the 2012-13 season we did threaten top six at one point before some unreal referee decisions.
We actually topped the table after the first round of fixtures.

FilipinoHibs
15-08-2019, 09:59 AM
We actually topped the table after the first round of fixtures.

I met Fenlon in Dunlin once when on a business trip and he told he had to do all the loans from lower leagues because Petrie gave a small budget.

Northernhibee
15-08-2019, 10:07 AM
I met Fenlon in Dunlin once when on a business trip and he told he had to do all the loans from lower leagues because Petrie gave a small budget.

He was nowhere close as bad as he's remembered as. That run that saw us to the top of the league was brilliant, including beating Celtic on the way.

Tyler Durden
15-08-2019, 11:18 AM

U huh yes. And on what planet did Pat Fenlon have a better record than Yogi or Mixu?

Win percentage is one of many metrics to judge success. Being responsible for two of the most embarrassing results in a clubs history would be another.

WeeRussell
15-08-2019, 11:31 AM
U huh yes. And on what planet did Pat Fenlon have a better record than Yogi or Mixu?

Win percentage is one of many metrics to judge success. Being responsible for two of the most embarrassing results in a clubs history would be another.

.. or just admit you didn't realise Fenlon's win record was better :dunno:

Tyler Durden
15-08-2019, 11:41 AM
.. or just admit you didn't realise Fenlon's win record was better :dunno:

I think I was aware but it’s not relevant. I’ve had this debate before with Andy74 when he was Fenlons cheerleader. Threatening the top 6 doesn’t make him successful.

Finishing 2nd in a cup means nothing. Especially with two of the most limp performances in memory.

Yogi finished 4th. Mixu had 2 6th place finishes. Their points per game would likely beat Fenlon’s too. That’s before we get onto the 2 worst results in Hibs history.

MWHIBBIES
15-08-2019, 12:33 PM

Except he really wasn't responsible for the Hearts final, unless getting us there against the odds makes him responsible?

Yogi lost 4-1 at Hamilton and 5-1 at St Johnstone with Riordan, Stokes, Zemamma, Bamba and Liam Miller. That is much more embarrassing.

Mixu did a decent job but it was definitely time to go.

Since452
15-08-2019, 12:56 PM
To be fair i actually didn't mind Pat Fenlon. The guy put everything into the job it was just too big for him. Loved that he was at the 2016 SC final supporting us. I don't have any ill feelings towards him. I was just making the point that Lennon shouldn't be hailed for winning a piss easy Championship. Especially huffing and puffing our way to winning it. Any of our recent managers would have managed it.