PDA

View Full Version : McNulty rates Heck and says he's one of the best he's worked with .....

basehibby
12-08-2019, 07:04 PM
Interesting comments from McNulty here saying Heck is one of the best coaches he's ever worked with.

That may be - but whether his tactics and eye for a signing are up to the same high standard remains to be seen and after Saturday's utter disaster at Ibrox I'm certainly having my doubts and wondering if he's got what it takes to manage Hibs successfully. It's early doors and I'm not going to damn him outright on the back of one atrocious result but he has given himself a small mountain to climb to gain back the confidence of the fans on the back of that drubbing - which I see as mainly down to his tactics and selections. Link to McNulty's comments below ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49298618 (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49298618)

Michael
12-08-2019, 08:02 PM
He's probably a good man manager which is why we had a bounce when he came in and McNulty likes him. Jury's still out on his other skills.

Danderhall Hibs
12-08-2019, 08:50 PM
Anyone seen an apology from McNulty about this yet?

The_Horde
12-08-2019, 08:50 PM
Good coaches don't always make good managers.

Captain Trips
12-08-2019, 10:38 PM
Good for Mcnulty.

matty_f
12-08-2019, 10:41 PM
Does this just get discounted because of the current mood, justified as that mood may be?

CMurdoch
12-08-2019, 10:44 PM
Don't you just love player platitudes :rolleyes:

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-08-2019, 10:45 PM
Interesting comments from McNulty here saying Heck is one of the best coaches he's ever worked with.

That may be - but whether his tactics and eye for a signing are up to the same high standard remains to be seen and after Saturday's utter disaster at Ibrox I'm certainly having my doubts and wondering if he's got what it takes to manage Hibs successfully. It's early doors and I'm not going to damn him outright on the back of one atrocious result but he has given himself a small mountain to climb to gain back the confidence of the fans on the back of that drubbing - which I see as mainly down to his tactics and selections. Link to McNulty's comments below ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49298618 (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49298618)

Saturday wasnae a disaster, we never conceded a single goal so, that's a positive. 😊

overdrive
12-08-2019, 11:16 PM
All the players loved Calderwood... enough said!

monktonharp
12-08-2019, 11:20 PM
Saturday wasnae a disaster, we never conceded a single goal so, that's a positive. 😊:greengrin

basehibby
12-08-2019, 11:25 PM
Saturday wasnae a disaster, we never conceded a single goal so, that's a positive. 😊

Well spotted :blushie:

NB - we didn't score either :furious:

Hibeesmad
13-08-2019, 12:19 AM
Good coaches don't always make good managers.

Ian Cathro a prime example

Dmas
13-08-2019, 05:52 AM
Nicknamed the PE teacher at Leeds, think his training and man management is really good it’s his setting up of a team that’s been questioned in the past...and now

Pretty Boy
13-08-2019, 07:57 AM
Based on a few snippets I have read and the general reputation Heckingbottom arrived with here it doesn't surprise me at all to see players speaking off him as a good coach. I'd go as far as to say it wouldn't shock me to see him appear as part of the coaching staff at a top club somewhere in the future in the same way Alex Miller was integral to a Liverpool coaching set up which won the Champions League.

A lot of great coaches haven't made great managers though. The aforementioned Alex Miller. Colin Calderwood was well liked by a lot of players who found his training interesting and challenging; he's coached in the Premier League and the Championship but never really set the heather on fire as a manager. Ian Cathro had an important role at Newcastle before the Hearts debacle and is now 1st team coach at a team who finished 7th in the EPL last year. At the extreme end of the scale Carlos Quieroz was trusted implicitly by Alex Ferguson ('Carlos Queiroz was brilliant. Just brilliant. Outstanding. An intelligent, meticulous man. He was good for me. He was a Rottweiler. He was the closest you could be to being the Manchester United manager without actually holding the title') but in his 2 forays into management in top jobs, Real Madrid and Portugal, he struggled (admittedly he seems to be doing a good job with Iran now and previously done well with South Africa).

Ultimately we have no choice but to hope Heckingbottom proves to be both a good coach and a good manager. A few players have had good things to say about him (including a couple who have left the club and one who never featured under him) and he showed an ability to steady the ship and pick up points for a spell last season. Thus far this season it seems that whatever he is trying to get the players to do doesn't seem to be getting through or certainly it isn't effectively transferring from the training pitch to match days.

jeffers
13-08-2019, 08:20 AM
I thought all the chat before was that we no longer had managers but appointed Head Coaches ? Are we now back to having managers ?

B.H.F.C
13-08-2019, 08:23 AM
I thought all the chat before was that we no longer had managers but appointed Head Coaches ? Are we now back to having managers ?

Whatever his title, it’s pretty irrelevant IMO.

He’s the guy that sets the team up, is there to motivate them etc.

MB62
13-08-2019, 08:46 AM
I found it quite astonishing that he thought his best line up, at home to St. Mirren and then away to derhun, was to play with one striker. Then when we are 2-1 down and down to 10 men, he now thinks the best way to get back in the game is to play with TWO strikers?

I personally hate watching one up front, you need a special type of player to be able to play that role and I've seldom seen that type at ER. Point is, if he thinks the best way to get back in to a game, e.g. score goals, is to put on an additional striker, then why not start with that tactic?

jeffers
13-08-2019, 08:47 AM
Whatever his title, it’s pretty irrelevant IMO.

He’s the guy that sets the team up, is there to motivate them etc.

I'm not disputing that, but a lot was being made when NL left that we appointed Head Coaches, we no longer have a manager in place. Now I'm reading Heckinbottom may be a great coach but he's not a great manager. Of course it could be he's a great coach and not a great Head Coach and I get that distinction.

angus hibby
13-08-2019, 11:45 AM
I found it quite astonishing that he thought his best line up, at home to St. Mirren and then away to derhun, was to play with one striker. Then when we are 2-1 down and down to 10 men, he now thinks the best way to get back in the game is to play with TWO strikers?

I personally hate watching one up front, you need a special type of player to be able to play that role and I've seldom seen that type at ER. Point is, if he thinks the best way to get back in to a game, e.g. score goals, is to put on an additional striker, then why not start with that tactic?

Played 4-3-3 against St Mirren so 3 up front no??

Smartie
13-08-2019, 11:47 AM
Played 4-3-3 against St Mirren so 3 up front no??

With Scott Allan playing so far forward (and largely disconnected from the rest of the team) it was almost like we had 4 up front at times.

A front 4 that we didn't get the ball to enough for the first hour.

1van Sprou7e
13-08-2019, 04:12 PM
I'm not disputing that, but a lot was being made when NL left that we appointed Head Coaches, we no longer have a manager in place. Now I'm reading Heckinbottom may be a great coach but he's not a great manager. Of course it could be he's a great coach and not a great Head Coach and I get that distinction.

A lot being made by who? In most cases, the difference between a head coach and a manager is trivial