PDA

View Full Version : is this Jim Duffy all over again?

familyman
12-08-2019, 06:12 AM
Buying lower league players ..anyone remember Jim Duffy and what happened to Hibs then?
By the way talk of a honeymoon period being over. ..watching Hibs after NL left. I cannot recall any honeymoon period,lokk at the last few game results against top 5
I hope history is not repeating itself.
Unacceptable and cannot be tolerated ..action now or back to the past.

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 06:23 AM
Buying lower league players ..anyone remember Jim Duffy and what happened to Hibs then?
By the way talk of a honeymoon period being over. ..watching Hibs after NL left. I cannot recall any honeymoon period,lokk at the last few game results against top 5

You don’t recall us getting into 5th place from (I think it was anyway) 8th place when PH took over?

superfurryhibby
12-08-2019, 07:03 AM
In a word, no.

Smartie
12-08-2019, 07:09 AM
I don't think it's the fact we've signed lower league players that is the problem - it is that we've signed crap ones.

Marvin Bartley was a lower league player. Scott Allan has had a few failed loan stints in the English lower leagues. What were David Gray's credentials pre-Hibs? Or Fontaine?

We just happen to have selected inferior players from those leagues.

When Duffy was signing his dross, I bet you could have picked a pretty solid team of players from that league who went on to have excellent careers, we just overlooked them in favour of pish.

eastmainsmsh
12-08-2019, 07:28 AM
surely no lol jocky scott shouldve been given the job before duff jim

Is It On....
12-08-2019, 07:28 AM
Rob Jones and King Ivan were not exactly household names when we signed them from lower [non] league and even people like Donaldson and Collins (J) have gone onto have decent careers after struggling at Hibs. If the manager doesn't set the team up well then you are on a hiding to nothing [as we saw yesterday]. Doidge scored lots of goals for his last club so we should be looking at why and then trying to set up the team to play to his strengths. How do we get the best out of Flo, is he best as a lone striker or best as part of a front 2? Scott Allan is best when he has a ball winning midfielder next to him so who is doing that job? Why are we being over-run on midfield? These are the issues the management team need to address pronto or I fear we are going to have more days like yesterday.

SideBurns
12-08-2019, 07:33 AM
I don't think it's the fact we've signed lower league players that is the problem - it is that we've signed crap ones.

Marvin Bartley was a lower league player. Scott Allan has had a few failed loan stints in the English lower leagues. What were David Gray's credentials pre-Hibs? Or Fontaine?

We just happen to have selected inferior players from those leagues.

When Duffy was signing his dross, I bet you could have picked a pretty solid team of players from that league who went on to have excellent careers, we just overlooked them in favour of pish.

Looks like you're right, unfortunately. There will be plenty good players in the English lower leagues who could improve our team. On the evidence to date, we just don't seem to have signed any of them.

Is It On....
12-08-2019, 07:33 AM
You don’t recall us getting into 5th place from (I think it was anyway) 8th place when PH took over?

The key difference was Marc McNulty. We need to get our strikers scoring again [no sh#t Sherlock 🙄] which means setting up the team to get the best out of them.

BILLYHIBS
12-08-2019, 07:36 AM
The key difference was Marc McNulty. We need to get our strikers scoring again [no sh#t Sherlock 🙄] which means setting up the team to get the best out of them.

Marc McNulty went two months without scoring for us

Diclonius
12-08-2019, 07:50 AM
Calderwood two weeks ago. Fenlon last week. Duffy this week.

Ah, yes. It's "compare our manager to every other bad manager we've had after two league games" season!

KDY Hibs
12-08-2019, 07:50 AM
No.

MWHIBBIES
12-08-2019, 08:02 AM
Why does it matter what league the players came from?
Hibs have signed many excellent players from the lower leagues in England and Scotland.

SquashedFrogg
12-08-2019, 08:19 AM

Ah, yes. It's "compare our manager to every other bad manager we've had after two league games" season!

Agree. Far too quick to condemn. We've been on an upward curve for a few years and now we need to rebuild. This won't happen over night. People need to stay calm and put some trust in the club. A club they 'support'.

I genuinely worry for people in the real world who clearly can't cope with slight setbacks, or a bit of adversary.

We won't be the last team to get a pumping from the old firm this season.

Maybe it's global warming, but some have moved from snowflakes to frost particles in the blink of an eye.

familyman
12-08-2019, 03:17 PM
Rob Jones and King Ivan were not exactly household names when we signed them from lower [non] league and even people like Donaldson and Collins (J) have gone onto have decent careers after struggling at Hibs. If the manager doesn't set the team up well then you are on a hiding to nothing [as we saw yesterday]. Doidge scored lots of goals for his last club so we should be looking at why and then trying to set up the team to play to his strengths. How do we get the best out of Flo, is he best as a lone striker or best as part of a front 2? Scott Allan is best when he has a ball winning midfielder next to him so who is doing that job? Why are we being over-run on midfield? These are the issues the management team need to address pronto or I fear we are going to have more days like yesterday.
good point you make,
setting sights a bit higher though should not be beyond us..where did the £2m for J McGinn go I wonder?

James Stephen
12-08-2019, 03:18 PM

Jesus wept.

Cataplana
12-08-2019, 03:19 PM
Ffs

Tobias Funke
12-08-2019, 03:22 PM
😂

The jury is out on Heckingbottom but only an idiot would suggest his signings are as bad as the filth Duffy brought into Hibs.

Torto7
12-08-2019, 03:41 PM
Who was the diddy Duff Jimmy signed at left-back? I remember he cost us six figures as well. Paul Something? I can't remember for the life of me what his name was but the boy was brutal.

hibeerealist
12-08-2019, 03:47 PM
Agree. Far too quick to condemn. We've been on an upward curve for a few years and now we need to rebuild. This won't happen over night. People need to stay calm and put some trust in the club. A club they 'support'.

I genuinely worry for people in the real world who clearly can't cope with slight setbacks, or a bit of adversary.

We won't be the last team to get a pumping from the old firm this season.

Maybe it's global warming, but some have moved from snowflakes to frost particles in the blink of an eye.

You usually post sensibly on this forum, however, that was not a slight setback yesterday and that is what worries many of us. Practically every Hibby looking at the team Hecky put out yesterday feared a pumping (before Kick Off) however it was worse than feared we could have been 5 down at HT.

Hope I am wrong but things don't look good at all. His signings have shown nothing and instead of persevering with Newell he needs to concentrate his mind on getting a Midfield ball winner to play along side SA, our best player!!

The 90+2
12-08-2019, 03:50 PM
Marc McNulty went two months without scoring for us

And look at how many games we won in that time.

Greentinted
12-08-2019, 04:08 PM
Who was the diddy Duff Jimmy signed at left-back? I remember he cost us six figures as well. Paul Something? I can't remember for the life of me what his name was but the boy was brutal.

Lovering maybe?

*Edit - apparently signed by McLeish for £100k

The only other Paul I can think of that Duffy signed was the aptly named Tosh, but he was (allegedly) a striker!

G B Young
12-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Lovering maybe?

The only other Paul I can think of that Duffy signed was the aptly named Tosh, but he was (allegedly) a striker!

Lovering was a decent wee player who gave his all during his time at Hibs.

Duffy signed Jimmy Boco, who was a full-back but I can't recall if he played right or left.

Baader
12-08-2019, 04:29 PM
Lovering was a decent wee player who gave his all during his time at Hibs.

Duffy signed Jimmy Boco, who was a full-back but I can't recall if he played right or left.

Jimmy was left back. Under Duffy we also had David Elliot at left back who was poor. He picked up a bit under McLeish but Eck signed Lovering to play in the Championship. He was good but got found out a bit in the top flight and was never the same after. Moved to a back three after and had Ulrik Laursen play as left wing back.

Smartie
12-08-2019, 04:38 PM
Jamie McQuilken?

He was a left-back, signed by Duffy and hopeless.

The 90+2
12-08-2019, 04:38 PM
Lovering maybe?

Mcleish signed Lovering.

Torto7
12-08-2019, 05:14 PM
Jamie McQuilken?

That's the one. I was getting him mixed up with Paul Tosh. Both humpty.

Sammy7nil
12-08-2019, 05:21 PM

No he never arrived on a Chopper and I don't mean bike.

CorrieHibs
12-08-2019, 07:10 PM
I get folk saying lower league players. However, Vela and Newell played in the championship last year. That’s a pretty decent standard and should be more than capable to cope in the Scottish premiership. Albeit both got relegated, and are probably low on confidence.

Aribo was playing league 1 football last season and before that he played for Staines Town! So, there is gems down there. We just need to find the right ones.

I do think they need a chance. Look at Cosgrove in his first season at Aberdeen.

BILLYHIBS
12-08-2019, 07:18 PM
And look at how many games we won in that time.

Only two out of seven and it would have been three out of seven if he had scored that penalty versus Hearts at Easter Road :greengrin

Source: fitbastats

HFC93
12-08-2019, 07:27 PM

According to hibs.net, Heckingbottom is a hybrid of Calderwood, Fenlon, Duffy, Auld, and Butcher.

Leith Green
12-08-2019, 07:31 PM
Its the clear lack of playing style that concerns me most. I hear a supposed style the manger wants to play and then i look at his signings and the way we are setup and i dont see anything remotely close to us doing that.

Captain Trips
12-08-2019, 07:48 PM
Lovering was a good player

James Stephen
12-08-2019, 07:55 PM
According to hibs.net, Heckingbottom is a hybrid of Calderwood, Fenlon, Duffy, Auld, and Butcher.

Ironically we had a great start to our only full season under Duffy.

It's almost as if the first few games DONT necessarily define the next season...

stoneyburn hibs
12-08-2019, 08:03 PM

It's almost as if the first few games DONT necessarily define the next season...

I think he had us in 1st place for a week or two.

Glory Lurker
12-08-2019, 09:09 PM

We were on a downward trajectory by the end of August in 97/98. Celtc and Killie games were great, but the limp 1-0 defeat in the derby at the end of the month set the tone for what was coming.

That’s got nothing to do with anything, of course. Just a bout of pedantry, sorry!:greengrin

Stokesy's on fire
12-08-2019, 09:55 PM
Jamie McQuilken?

He ended up at sheep didnt he? Was crap at them as well

bigwheel
12-08-2019, 10:02 PM
Jamie McQuilken?

In my top 5 of all time people who should never have got to wear the green....

basehibby
12-08-2019, 10:33 PM
I get folk saying lower league players. However, Vela and Newell played in the championship last year. That’s a pretty decent standard and should be more than capable to cope in the Scottish premiership. Albeit both got relegated, and are probably low on confidence.

Aribo was playing league 1 football last season and before that he played for Staines Town! So, there is gems down there. We just need to find the right ones.

I do think they need a chance. Look at Cosgrove in his first season at Aberdeen.

That is a tired and leaky argument. Championship level is certainly a good level and all the English senior league is decent - but that does not mean that every player who plays in it is particularly good and will improve our team. History has proven though that there are indeed some gems to be had and I sincerely hope that Newell et al get over their insipid starts to their Hibs careers and end up qualifying for that category. There's no guarantees though.

Just Jimmy
13-08-2019, 06:14 AM
That is a tired and leaky argument. Championship level is certainly a good level and all the English senior league is decent - but that does not mean that every player who plays in it is particularly good and will improve our team. History has proven though that there are indeed some gems to be had and I sincerely hope that Newell et al get over their insipid starts to their Hibs careers and end up qualifying for that category. There's no guarantees though.more so, if they were so good at that level why would they move to Scotland at 23-26 years old earning max 4k a week when they would get double that in the Championship and be in a better window to move to the top league?

Vela might be a player but tellingly Scott Allan is Hibs best player and he wasn't a Heckingbottom signing. James and Jackson may be decent but the others so far look like duds.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The Leith Dutch
13-08-2019, 06:32 AM
Where the players are from is irrelevant.
Are they any good and, equally important, do they blend into at least one good, balanced starting XI.

Difficult to judge the former as I think we don't have the latter - we don't have a good midfield.

Said it before the league kicked off that the good organised teams will over run our midfield - playing too many attackers and not enough actual midfielders.

You can argue all you like about whether our players are good with the ball but we may not know as we don't have enough midfielders who are good without the ball to provide them the platform they need.

Neither Heckingbottom or Hibs season is a lost cause but we need another midfielder who starts every game or we're gonna be an easy mark all season.