PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (The Rangers 11 08 19)

Jonnyboy
11-08-2019, 07:46 PM
Sitting in the car park after the game and waiting impatiently to get on the road, I took time to reflect on what I’d just witnessed and think of what word would best describe those feelings. Disappointed, embarrassed, angry or worried? I came to the conclusion that it was a bit of each. Disappointed that we’d put up such a poor show; embarrassed that we’d folded so easily in shipping six goals; angry that the substitutions left us wide open to attack and worry that those people on the messageboard who predicted a hammering were scarily correct. I’ve read Hecky’s comments to the press and for once I wasn’t overly impressed as, to me, the introduction of a second forward when we were down to ten men was a major error of judgement. Yes, it worked against St. Johnstone last season when we won 2-1 but this was Ibrox and the Rangers, a whole different kettle of fish.

To the game itself – we started with a 4-5-1 with Whittaker and Mackie flanking Hanlon and McGregor in defence; Horgan, Mallan, Vela, Allan and Newell were strung across the middle with Doidge on his own up front. On paper a good choice but it soon became apparent that our full backs were getting little or no protection from the wide midfielders and the Rangers took full advantage. Time and again they exploited the fact by doubling up against our full backs and it took them less than ten minutes to secure the lead their play deserved. A shot from outside the area was palmed out by Rocky but into the path of Defoe who couldn’t miss. I felt the keeper could have made a better job of dealing with the initial shot by pushing it round the post but in fairness the original effort came through some legs and may have unsighted him slightly.

It was soon 2-0 with Ojo slipping his marker on their left before he provided a low cross which our defence couldn’t deal with, allowing Defoe another tap in. That goal was as a direct result of Whittaker being left to mark two men again with Horgan nowhere to be seen. In a rare foray upfield, Hibs created a chance for Mallan but his effort sailed over the bar whilst the Rangers continued to dominate and Defoe might have had a hat trick but was denied by a fine Marciano save. Moments later Defoe hit the side netting and then Rocky had a wonderful flying save to put the ball over the bar.

I remember thinking that if we could keep it to 2-0 until half time Hecky would get the chance to reorganise. In fact we went one better than that by grabbing a goal after Horgan beat McGregor in a one on one. The chance was created by the one sublime piece of football we played all day as Scott Allan picked Horgan out with a lovely reverse pass that left the Rangers defenders for dead.

As we limped to half time I found myself praying that Hecky would replace the totally ineffective Newell with either Kamberi or Shaw in the wide left berth as someone had to stop Tavernier having the freedom of Ibrox. Half of my prayer was answered in that Newell did not reappear but his replacement was Fraser Murray.

Ironically I felt that in the first ten minutes or so after the break we looked much more composed and actually enjoyed decent possession but the whole picture changed after Sean Mackie inexplicably used an arm to block a pass and as he’d already been booked his second yellow card offense meant John Beaton had no choice but to dismiss him. The necessary reshuffle saw Horgan sacrificed with Gray coming on to play right back and Whittaker switched to the left.

It was the hosts dominating the game again before Hibs took the chance to make another change. Scott Allan had picked up a knock and from the subs available I’d have expected Slivka to get the nod but instead it was Kamberi which meant we had two strikers and a considerably weakened midfield. I know that Hecky later said ‘you’ve got to go for it’ but I don’t share that view. We were already under the cosh and that change simply made the Rangers stronger, not us.

A string of fine saves by Rocky kept the score at 2-1 but not long after Tavernier had rattled our crossbar the smallest man on the park managed to outjump two of our defenders at the back post. Defoe got his hat trick but I doubt he’ll score many easier ones. Defoe was immediately replaced and that brought Morelos into the equation. It didn’t take him long to make his mark as he picked the ball up just inside his own half and sped off at pace, leaving a trail of Hibs players in his wake before crashing a shot past Rocky at the near post.

It seemed to me as though Rocky was being left to keep the score down almost on his own but following another couple of good saves he was beaten again by Morelos and then in time added on, Ojo found the net after a deflection sent Rocky the wrong way.

Going back to my initial comments on how I felt, I need to add humiliated because that performance was not befitting our football club. Manager, coaches and players all share the blame and they really need to get their act together quickly.

The players

Marciano – It seems odd to say this, given he’d shipped six goals and could have done better regarding a couple of them but Rocky gets my man of the match award.

Whittaker – I felt, especially in the first half when he was regularly outnumbered, he put in a decent shift.

McGregor – A central defender in a team that’s shipped six goals is not going to earn any plaudits for his performance.

Hanlon – See McGregor.

Mackie – Left horribly exposed at times in the first half I cannot fathom out why he used an arm when he knew he was already on a yellow. I understand some on twitter are saying it hit his shoulder but from my vantage point at the other end of the park it looked to have struck his arm.

Horgan - Credit to the laddie for making the run and scoring the goal but apart from that he was largely anonymous and no help whatsoever to Whittaker.

Mallan – Part of a centre midfield that was continuously overrun and so offered little of any note in a positive sense.

Vela – I actually felt a wee bit sorry for him because with the wide men failing in their defensive duties he was pulled left and right to try and help the full backs.

Allan – The lad must be helluva frustrated because other than that peach of a pass for the goal he had pretty much zero movement ahead of him for the most part.

Newell – I’m going to resort to an old football cliché here. It was like playing with a man short. I don’t know if the massive crowd got to him but he was like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Doidge – Another who failed to impress and the Rangers central defenders didn’t give him a sniff.

Murray – Made more of an effort to help his full back but the dismissal of Mackie gave him little opportunity to offer anything going forward.

Gray – It was good to see him back but he looked a mile off the pace if truth be told.

Kamberi – Shouldn’t have been on because the appalling weakening of our midfield meant he didn’t even have scraps to feed off.

Hecky – Sorry PH but you got that one very wrong and saying the shape didn’t lose us the game, rather losing the balls in silly areas, doesn’t sit well with me. We could have shipped double figures today and our shape and substitutions would have been high amongst the reasons for doing so.

The fans – Deserve an award for, mostly, staying to the bitter end.

John Beaton – A number of daft and baffling decisions but otherwise what you’d expect from him – admittedly those two things are one and the same!

Baldy Foghorn
11-08-2019, 07:52 PM
Well done for trying to put a summary to that performance.

Did our back 4 think DeFoe was offside after Rocky's save for first goal, as they all seemed to stop?

hibsbollah
11-08-2019, 08:00 PM
I just don't want to talk about it. See you in a week or two.

HibbyAndy
11-08-2019, 08:02 PM
Paul Hanlon was dreadful , It's becoming a common theme

BILLYHIBS
11-08-2019, 08:03 PM
Brilliant Jonnyboy

Spot on

Been waiting for this all evening

I can go to my bed now with my Cadbury’s Cookies

Good to see the introduction of the players surnames doesn’t change the result though

hibeejeebies
11-08-2019, 08:05 PM
Fair summary Jonnyboy.

Was Scotty definitely carrying a knock when he came off? I watched my stream with the sound off (for obvious reasons) so couldn't quite tell.

Hermit Crab
11-08-2019, 08:11 PM

Gets an easy ride on here. He has to step up lose his place. Been very poor for a while now.

hibbydad
11-08-2019, 08:12 PM
Hanlon has been poor since the start of the season looks very slow

Hermit Crab
11-08-2019, 08:13 PM

:agree: Along with McGregor.

Allant1981
11-08-2019, 08:14 PM

And for a good few games last season as well, if porteous is fit it's time to try him and jackson next week

Allant1981
11-08-2019, 08:14 PM
:agree: Along with McGregor.

Normally very reliable in these types of games but not at the races today

H18 SFR
11-08-2019, 08:16 PM
McGregor and Gray have 4 year deals, felt both looked perhaps like this level is beyond them now.

B.H.F.C
11-08-2019, 08:19 PM

Not just since the start of this season.

Allant1981
11-08-2019, 08:20 PM
McGregor and Gray have 4 year deals, felt both looked perhaps like this level is beyond them now.

Ideally gray would not have played today, he will be nowhere near match fit yet

Hibeesmad
11-08-2019, 08:21 PM
Gray, Jackson, Porteous, Stevenson

Would be pretty solid I think

Smartie
11-08-2019, 08:22 PM

I thought that other than Whittaker he was our best player against St Mirren, and didn't do much wrong in the league cup games.

He wasn't great last season and was part of a weak unit that was mauled today but he's certainly not where I would be looking to start the rebuild.

Hibernia&Alba
11-08-2019, 08:24 PM
Jonny, you deserve a medal for taking the time to write about that clusterf*** today. In fact you deserve one for staying until the end. It was abject: 34 shots on our goal goal, 19 on target is unbelievable. We were lacking in every department; there isn't much else to say, other than it had better not happen again.

Iggy Pope
11-08-2019, 08:25 PM
Fair summary Jonnyboy.

Was Scotty definitely carrying a knock when he came off? I watched my stream with the sound off (for obvious reasons) so couldn't quite tell.

He went down blocking a cross prior to the sending off and took a bit of time getting to his feet for the corner. And then during the sending off went off voluntarily for treatment. Didn’t look like a tactical subbie to me but more like a precaution if he was struggling. Hecky made mistakes today but I don’t think taking Scott Allan off was one of them.

Hanlon and McGregor were bloody awful today and they’ll know it. Defoe on the other hand remains class and it would be nice watching him if he only played for someone else.

Hibeesmad
11-08-2019, 08:26 PM
He went down blocking a cross prior to the sending off and took a bit of time getting to his feet for the corner. And then during the sending off went off voluntarily for treatment. Didn’t look like a tactical subbie to me but more like a precaution if he was struggling. Hecky made mistakes today but I don’t think taking Scott Allan off was one of them.

Hanlon and McGregor were bloody awful today and they’ll know it. Defoe on the other hand remains class and it would be nice watching him if he only played for someone else.

As a Spurs fan it’s horrible watching him play for them

JimBHibees
11-08-2019, 08:36 PM

Not a captain and needs benching.

hibeejeebies
11-08-2019, 08:38 PM

Cheers bud.

Hiber-nation
11-08-2019, 08:43 PM

Since the start of last season I'd say.

I backed him for a Scotland place in our first season back but he's regressed so much. It was supposed to be due to an injury last season but obviously not now.

Iggy Pope
11-08-2019, 08:49 PM
Since the start of last season I'd say.

I backed him for a Scotland place in our first season back but he's regressed so much. It was supposed to be due to an injury last season but obviously not now.

He got a bit of a chasing today J. Not an easy watch with both of our leaders looking so badly exposed.

Hiber-nation
11-08-2019, 08:56 PM
He got a bit of a chasing today J. Not an easy watch with both of our leaders looking so badly exposed.

Pah. I don't go there these days S, well done to you to brave it although the whole "experience" sounded horrendous.

Lee Marvin
11-08-2019, 08:58 PM
That defence will be the 'back up' defender in each position in a few months, imo.

Hanlon has been largely poor for a couple of years now

Devonhibs
11-08-2019, 08:59 PM
My Rotherham season ticket mate said when we signed Newall that he wont defend and will occasionally deliver a nice left footed cross - that would be it. Seems he knows his onions.

AZhibee
11-08-2019, 09:10 PM
Thanks Jonnyboy, couldn’t view the match, been waiting for some perspective from you.

onthefence
11-08-2019, 09:35 PM
Hibs fans singing horrible songs today? - My 64 year old family member said he would struggle to attend another away game due to the younger generation of fans. He said to the left of the Hibs fans rangers had a Lee Rigby Banner and a miniorty sang about him in a disgusting manner. The next one was a song that sounded like the tune of fields of athenry with words about David gray which followed with “f*** the UDA in it” then he said an middle aged gentleman alone was singing about the 66 rangers fans not being enough that died he said he had a James connelly scarf on if that narrows it down.

Now I fully expect to take abuse for this even though I don’t feel I should. My family member has attended hibs games home and away for 50+ years and was deeply saddened to hear this today. According to him it was a minority and was the section where the drum was coming from.

The 90+2
11-08-2019, 09:36 PM

Since Motherwell away last season.

smithy_hibees
11-08-2019, 09:50 PM
We usually over exaggerate the could've been double figures comment but today Rocky did stop that, Could've been 3/4 at half time but from a world class pass and finish which for me suger coated that first half.
Vela, Mallan and Allan are all far to similar for me with Allan being the better one by a mile, chance he got with those two next to him?
Unsure what Hanlon n Daz were upto today has Heckie ran them into the ground or have they just forgot how to defend?
Subbed at halftime says It all regarding Newell, I do think he'll play most weeks unsure why as he looks scared to beat a man is he even interested? Definitely doesn't look it.

Most worrying thing was most saw this coming.. only one game but alarm bells ringing regarding the lack of fight, game management today..

CMurdoch
11-08-2019, 10:01 PM
Rangers doubling up on our full backs was predictable and they gave our unaided full backs a right kicking in the 1st half until we scored.
We should have started the match minus the winger types Newell & Horgan and played the stronger and more robust Murray & Slivka instead.

However, in a nutshell, the game died for us when Mackie was needlessly sent off.
The players resisted as best they could until the Rangers scored their 3rd goal and then they caved in.

The critique of Hibs performance today should stop at 3-1.
At that point they were a sponge full to capacity and sinking uncontrollably.
Mackie's indiscipline was unforgivable. He is a strong muscular athlete but his decision making and maturity is miles off.
Soiling himself in the heat of battle today with 35 minutes still to play mortally wounded his team and the 3rd goal killed them stone dead.

Looking at the match dispassionately now:
Whatever the score it is only 3 points
Our rivals Aberdeen and Hearts messed up
Mackie has in the most painful way learned a lesson that he will never forget
Heckingbottom knows categorically that quality loan signings in the next 3 weeks are a must to help address the most obvious issues
Vela etc have now woken up and have worked out that they have not moved to a pub league and will have get themselves on it mentally and physically or perish

Finally, no one died :wink: and they can take their frustrations out on Morton.

Haymaker
11-08-2019, 10:02 PM
I cannot be ****ed to delete 99% of the OP but JBs description of Newell being caught in the headlights is something I want to touch on and it's not just him.

There's a ****ing huge difference between playing well in front of a few few thousand fans at Yeovil, Forest Green etc and playing in front of 16,000+ at Easter road and 50,000 screaming orcs at Ibrox.

A **** load difference in expectation as well.

It shouldn't be a surprise when these guys freeze up here.

matty_f
11-08-2019, 10:10 PM
I wouldn’t have given any outfield players pass marks today. They all shat themselves. We didn’t move the ball well enough, didn’t track runs, didn’t complete passes.

Not a soul roll any kind of responsibility until Allan’s pass to Horgan.

We actually looked OK from then until the sending off but after that I don’t think a hibs player completed a pass. It was awful.

Heckingbottom is accountable for the result and performance but what chance has he got if players can’t do the basics?

The whole thing was a shambles. They better learn from it and learn fast.

Haymaker
11-08-2019, 10:17 PM
Heckingbottom is accountable for the result and performance but what chance has he got if players can’t do the basics?

The players can do the basics, the coaching staff set the tone though. Teams reflect their coach.

PH91
11-08-2019, 10:22 PM
Rangers doubling up on our full backs was predictable and they gave our unaided full backs a right kicking in the 1st half until we scored.
We should have started the match minus the winger types Newell & Horgan and played the stronger and more robust Murray & Slivka instead.

However, in a nutshell, the game died for us when Mackie was needlessly sent off.
The players resisted as best they could until the Rangers scored their 3rd goal and then they caved in.

The critique of Hibs performance today should stop at 3-1.
At that point they were a sponge full to capacity and sinking uncontrollably.
Mackie's indiscipline was unforgivable. He is a strong muscular athlete but his decision making and maturity is miles off.
Soiling himself in the heat of battle today with 35 minutes still to play mortally wounded his team and the 3rd goal killed them stone dead.

Looking at the match dispassionately now:
Whatever the score it is only 3 points
Our rivals Aberdeen and Hearts messed up
Mackie has in the most painful way learned a lesson that he will never forget
Heckingbottom knows categorically that quality loan signings in the next 3 weeks are a must to help address the most obvious issues
Vela etc have now woken up and have worked out that they have not moved to a pub league and will have get themselves on it mentally and physically or perish

Finally, no one died :wink: and they can take their frustrations out on Morton.

Brilliant post and totally agree.

Only note missing was the poor/naive sub from hecky which allowed rangers to run riot in the final 20 minutes. Putting a midfielder on and stifling the game would have kept the scoreline down.

Imo the most obvious deficiencies which need addressed are
1. Consistently starting games poorly, taking time to adapt and having to make tactical and/or personnel changes in order to get into the game (this pattern was actually being followed again today until the red card, as end of the first half and first 10 minutes of the second we were looking more composed and capable of competing than the very passive first third of the game)
2. Midfield. A year has passed and we have yet to replace the energy in the middle of the park that mcginn provided. We desperately need someone in before the window closes
3. Pace. Having boyle out has left us short and we need to get a wide player with a bit of pace. Perhaps middleton is that man

HNA8
11-08-2019, 10:27 PM
Cut out the petty squabbles guys please.

matty_f
11-08-2019, 10:32 PM
The players can do the basics, the coaching staff set the tone though. Teams reflect their coach.

They didn’t do the basics today.

Not In The Know
11-08-2019, 10:33 PM
Not a captain and needs benching.

Paul Hanlon is pish. Nice guy Hibs fan and all that but been centre of defence in to many humiliating defeats to be classed as reliable.

smithy_hibees
11-08-2019, 10:37 PM
Paul Hanlon is pish. Nice guy Hibs fan and all that but been centre of defence in to many humiliating defeats to be classed as reliable.

Pish? He has been poor of late/involved in big losses but he's also been part the good times.. short memory

Not In The Know
11-08-2019, 10:40 PM
Pish? He has been poor of late/involved in big losses but he's also been part the good times.. short memory
Yep but had other better players around him. Piss positional sense.

Haymaker
11-08-2019, 10:52 PM
They didn’t do the basics today.

They can - the coach/management set the tone. If all you hear all week is "let's not lose" and "contain" etc, when **** hits the fan you are already in a negative mindset. A negative mindset from the start is a recipe for disaster no matter what level you're playing.

Rogic29
12-08-2019, 04:06 AM
Whittaker – I felt, especially in the first half when he was regularly outnumbered, he put in a decent shift.

You basically slagged the full defence off, yet the guy who was at the heart of it all by getting ripped a new one by Jones gets praised :lips seal. He's nowhere near the level required, out of position most of the time due to his lack of pace and when he is in position, would rather jockey/shadow the opposition player rather than commit to a tackle in fear of getting made a fool of himself. Sure he might not have the best cover defensively yesterday, but at the end of day if you're a defender you have to expect facing up to and winning 1v1 battles

Allant1981
12-08-2019, 06:07 AM
I cannot be ****ed to delete 99% of the OP but JBs description of Newell being caught in the headlights is something I want to touch on and it's not just him.

There's a ****ing huge difference between playing well in front of a few few thousand fans at Yeovil, Forest Green etc and playing in front of 16,000+ at Easter road and 50,000 screaming orcs at Ibrox.

It shouldn't be a surprise when these guys freeze up here.

What size if crowds do they get in the championship? I genuinely dont know but this is where he was playing last year was it not, I doubt it's only a couple of thousand so crowds wouldnt faze him. I think it's just a case of he wasnt good enough and had a crap game. I could also be wrong though and it did get to him

JimBHibees
12-08-2019, 06:15 AM

A good player but nowhere near his best form.

MSK
12-08-2019, 06:16 AM

It shouldn't be a surprise when these guys freeze up here.Sorry Haymaker but I dont buy into that, Ive seen hearts play teenagers at parkheid and Ibrox and they didnt seem fazed by the experience, in fact hearts have a 16 year old as their established left back this season, a player who held his own in front of 52,000 in a national cup final. These players who **** it at Ibrox are established players, not raw teenagers, if they dont have the balls to play at places like that then they are in the wrong job.

erin go bragh
12-08-2019, 06:31 AM

Taking Allan off wasn’t the mistake but replacing him with Kamberi was naive. Slivka should have replaced him .

BILLYHIBS
12-08-2019, 06:44 AM
Slivka was the difference when he came on versus St Mirren

He is a big game player and always plays well versus the top six especially the OF and must be wondering what he has to do to get a start though admittedly he is a bit behind fitness wise but looked good last Saturday

I reckon we need at least three quality HIBS class signings to fix this no more English second division pish

Sorry but I am starting to get really angry now 😁

Hibeesmad
12-08-2019, 06:49 AM

He is a big game player and always plays well versus the top six especially the OF and must be wondering what he has to do to get a start though admittedly he is a bit behind fitness wise but looked good last Saturday

I reckon we need at least three quality HIBS class signings to fix this no more English second division pish

Go out and get a marquee signing, build the buzz back up around the club and fill the supporters with hope of good things to come.

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 06:49 AM

If he’s wondering what he needs to do to get a start then he should start off by looking at his own performances. He done well against St Mirren but he doesn’t get starts consistently because he can’t be counted on to perform on anything like a regular basis. In fairness to him though that looks like it could be something to be said about the new signings aswell.

BILLYHIBS
12-08-2019, 06:51 AM
Go out and get a marquee signing, build the buzz back up around the club and fill the supporters with hope of good things to come.

Probably do wonders for ST sales

Many hibbies I know are not looking forward to Saturday????

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 06:52 AM

I’d like to see that, purely because a marquee signing would presumably be a massive improvement on what we have.

Mulumbu would improve our team immensely.

Iggy Pope
12-08-2019, 06:57 AM
Taking Allan off wasn’t the mistake but replacing him with Kamberi was naive. Slivka should have replaced him .

Like I said, he made mistakes.

BILLYHIBS
12-08-2019, 06:57 AM
If he’s wondering what he needs to do to get a start then he should start off by looking at his own performances. He done well against St Mirren but he doesn’t get starts consistently because he can’t be counted on to perform on anything like a regular basis. In fairness to him though that looks like it could be something to be said about the new signings aswell.

Agree he has had more than enough chances to cement a place and failed to grab games by the scruff of the neck but now he is up against Mallan and Allan who many think are too similar two wingers and Vela who does not look anywhere near match fit and looks as though he is running on empty

All I am saying is as things currently stand Slivka looks a better option and must start versus Morton a defeat is unthinkable and they are no mugs

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 07:00 AM
Agree he has had more than enough chances to cement a place and failed to grab games by the scruff of the neck but now he is up against Mallan and Allan who many think are too similar two wingers and Vela who does not look anywhere near match fit and looks as though he is running on empty

All I am saying is as things currently stand Slivka looks a better option and must start versus Morton a defeat is unthinkable and they are no mugs

I’m not a Slivka fan but I agree he probably deserves a start against Morton. I just wouldn’t count on him doing a lot better.

BILLYHIBS
12-08-2019, 07:12 AM
I’m not a Slivka fan but I agree he probably deserves a start against Morton. I just wouldn’t count on him doing a lot better.

My granny would be better than Newell and she is no longer with us

Slivka has to come back in

hibsmad
12-08-2019, 07:25 AM
I just can't believe he started Newall in the first place. Everything that we have heard about him, and everything we have seen so far, suggests that he won't put in a power of work. A sort of Matt Le Tissier type player, only without the 30 yard volleys into the top corner.

Never the type of player to start yesterday and it worries me that Hecky thought otherwise.

SideBurns
12-08-2019, 07:28 AM
I can't put up a case for the central defence when we've lost 6 goals. However, I doubt McGregor and Hanlon have ever been so exposed in their Hibs careers as they were yesterday. The amount of times the Huns just ran past our midfielders was astonishing, and once it gets to that point centre-halves often have to step forward and reluctantly allow themselves to be pulled out of position.

Both players have to be partially culpable for the fact the opposition had 19 shots on target. But they are entitled to expect their teammates in front of them to put in the occasional tackle. In every game, defending starts from the front.

B.H.F.C
12-08-2019, 07:44 AM
They can - the coach/management set the tone. If all you hear all week is "let's not lose" and "contain" etc, when **** hits the fan you are already in a negative mindset. A negative mindset from the start is a recipe for disaster no matter what level you're playing.

We had some really experienced players on the pitch who took no responsibility. The back four for the majority of the second half was Gray, McGregor, Hanlon and Whittaker. The players chucked it in the second half and that is totally unacceptable. Third goal was the prime example. Doidge simply couldn’t be bothered tracking Davis, the manager can’t run for someone.

The team is boring and at the moment which I think reflects the manager. There are serious questions needing asked of the players as well though. When it all went wrong last year it was all down to the manager. Are we just going to blame the manager again? Not defending him in at all, I have serious doubts about him, but the players were every bit as much to blame for that yesterday IMO.

Unseen work
12-08-2019, 08:08 AM
I couldn’t believe how fast they were, all over the park and in everything they were doing.

Passed it with a purpose and had a lot of runners causing us endless problems.

Mr_F
12-08-2019, 08:35 AM
That team & display show how out his depth PH is.

Going to Ibrox with a midfield 3 of Allan, Mallan & Vela.

Even a midfield 5 adding in Newell + Horgan.

Clueless to say the least

GreenCastle
12-08-2019, 08:45 AM
We had some really experienced players on the pitch who took no responsibility. The back four for the majority of the second half was Gray, McGregor, Hanlon and Whittaker. The players chucked it in the second half and that is totally unacceptable. Third goal was the prime example. Doidge simply couldn’t be bothered tracking Davis, the manager can’t run for someone.

The team is boring and at the moment which I think reflects the manager. There are serious questions needing asked of the players as well though. When it all went wrong last year it was all down to the manager. Are we just going to blame the manager again? Not defending him in at all, I have serious doubts about him, but the players were every much as big to blame for that yesterday IMO.

David Gray has had 0 minutes of game time since last season.

His substitution was desperate and slightly crazy due to the chance of him becoming injured again.

He brought on Murray yesterday instead of Slivka last week who actually came on and changed the game.

It was the worst 40 minutes I’ve seen for a long time from a Hibs team get battered. We got a lifeline at 2-1 but didn’t make the changes needed at half time.

Sadly the Celtic are the Huns are in their own mini league this season to see who wins the league - we are playing for 3rd against the other 10.

But it would be nice to not cave in like old times at least against them both as even though with their resources they should beat us every time we have proven an upset is possible with the right game plan and attitude.

Hecky says we have better balance - well we don’t have a defensive midfielder - Vela isn’t that role.

Hecky said pre-match the Huns were the same as last season shape wise etc - maybe similar but they have added better players and if it wasn’t for our keeper it would have been 10.

High press - can’t do it when you have a slow back 4 (well 2 out of 4). The midfield don’t have the energy and Newell definitely doesn’t have the energy to press from the front. We left holes all over the place and looked like a team (individuals) who had been put together 10 minutes before kick off.

basehibby
12-08-2019, 11:22 PM
There wasn't much right about Sunday. Starting two creative midfielders not known for their defensive qualities along with two winger types just resulted in the huns running riot in midfield and down the flanks. Even if the lot of them were on good form this would have been a doubtful formation for a visit to Ibrox, but with Newell and Vela both struggling to find their feet it was quite predictable to see our pace free defence being run ragged from the off with little protection in front of them.

I think I would have rested both Mallan and Newell for this one while giving Murray and Slivka a start. Murray especially has looked the business whenever called upon this season and is deserving of a start. I would still have started Horgan though - he's been one of the few players who's been firing on all cylinders from the start of the season - a certain starter at the moment.

Starting Doidge ahead of Kamberi up front was also a head scratcher. Kamberi has looked increasingly in the mood this season while Doidge missed two sitters only last week. Strikers are unlikely to get many opportunities at places like Ibrox so it's imperative they make the most of their chances.

Counter intuitive selections - it's not as if Lennon was not capable of producing some bamboozling team sheets - but I cannot recall he or Stubbs before him putting out a side so comprehensively outplayed in any competition regardless of formation.

Haymaker
12-08-2019, 11:51 PM
Sorry Haymaker but I dont buy into that, Ive seen hearts play teenagers at parkheid and Ibrox and they didnt seem fazed by the experience, in fact hearts have a 16 year old as their established left back this season, a player who held his own in front of 52,000 in a national cup final. These players who **** it at Ibrox are established players, not raw teenagers, if they dont have the balls to play at places like that then they are in the wrong job.

My tone in the quoted post was probably too aggressive.

You do get players who are kids who thrive off it, porteous recently, however some players who are older but have played for bull**** teams with 0 expectations suddenly appear in Scotland and bottle it.

Yes, some of our senior players were posted missing, I won't defend that, as I also believe the coaching staff set the tone.

Real Emerald
13-08-2019, 12:16 AM
It’s depressing because it’s taken us years to get to the level we did with record ST sales, 18k average attendances, completes stadium and training ground. Rather than push on and use this momentum and extra income we’ve somehow managed to go back to Fenlon type signings and an uninspiring boring manager. It will be a sin if we tumble back into mediocrity after the hard slog to get to where we were. I can’t even bring myself to watch the highlights and as a ST holder for many years I’m giving the Morton game a miss as I’m bored and angry that we’ve managed to turn this around so poorly in such a short time 😕

Haymaker
13-08-2019, 01:58 AM
Rotherham averaged 10,000
Yeovil town is 2,900
Forest Green Rovers have 4,836 as their highest EVER attendance.

Put players from those teams in front of 18,000 at home to 50,000 away at Ibrox with the expectation to win...

Dalkeith Boy
13-08-2019, 02:07 AM
Sitting in the car park after the game and waiting impatiently to get on the road, I took time to reflect on what I’d just witnessed and think of what word would best describe those feelings. Disappointed, embarrassed, angry or worried? I came to the conclusion that it was a bit of each. Disappointed that we’d put up such a poor show; embarrassed that we’d folded so easily in shipping six goals; angry that the substitutions left us wide open to attack and worry that those people on the messageboard who predicted a hammering were scarily correct. I’ve read Hecky’s comments to the press and for once I wasn’t overly impressed as, to me, the introduction of a second forward when we were down to ten men was a major error of judgement. Yes, it worked against St. Johnstone last season when we won 2-1 but this was Ibrox and the Rangers, a whole different kettle of fish.

To the game itself – we started with a 4-5-1 with Whittaker and Mackie flanking Hanlon and McGregor in defence; Horgan, Mallan, Vela, Allan and Newell were strung across the middle with Doidge on his own up front. On paper a good choice but it soon became apparent that our full backs were getting little or no protection from the wide midfielders and the Rangers took full advantage. Time and again they exploited the fact by doubling up against our full backs and it took them less than ten minutes to secure the lead their play deserved. A shot from outside the area was palmed out by Rocky but into the path of Defoe who couldn’t miss. I felt the keeper could have made a better job of dealing with the initial shot by pushing it round the post but in fairness the original effort came through some legs and may have unsighted him slightly.

It was soon 2-0 with Ojo slipping his marker on their left before he provided a low cross which our defence couldn’t deal with, allowing Defoe another tap in. That goal was as a direct result of Whittaker being left to mark two men again with Horgan nowhere to be seen. In a rare foray upfield, Hibs created a chance for Mallan but his effort sailed over the bar whilst the Rangers continued to dominate and Defoe might have had a hat trick but was denied by a fine Marciano save. Moments later Defoe hit the side netting and then Rocky had a wonderful flying save to put the ball over the bar.

I remember thinking that if we could keep it to 2-0 until half time Hecky would get the chance to reorganise. In fact we went one better than that by grabbing a goal after Horgan beat McGregor in a one on one. The chance was created by the one sublime piece of football we played all day as Scott Allan picked Horgan out with a lovely reverse pass that left the Rangers defenders for dead.

As we limped to half time I found myself praying that Hecky would replace the totally ineffective Newell with either Kamberi or Shaw in the wide left berth as someone had to stop Tavernier having the freedom of Ibrox. Half of my prayer was answered in that Newell did not reappear but his replacement was Fraser Murray.

Ironically I felt that in the first ten minutes or so after the break we looked much more composed and actually enjoyed decent possession but the whole picture changed after Sean Mackie inexplicably used an arm to block a pass and as he’d already been booked his second yellow card offense meant John Beaton had no choice but to dismiss him. The necessary reshuffle saw Horgan sacrificed with Gray coming on to play right back and Whittaker switched to the left.

It was the hosts dominating the game again before Hibs took the chance to make another change. Scott Allan had picked up a knock and from the subs available I’d have expected Slivka to get the nod but instead it was Kamberi which meant we had two strikers and a considerably weakened midfield. I know that Hecky later said ‘you’ve got to go for it’ but I don’t share that view. We were already under the cosh and that change simply made the Rangers stronger, not us.

A string of fine saves by Rocky kept the score at 2-1 but not long after Tavernier had rattled our crossbar the smallest man on the park managed to outjump two of our defenders at the back post. Defoe got his hat trick but I doubt he’ll score many easier ones. Defoe was immediately replaced and that brought Morelos into the equation. It didn’t take him long to make his mark as he picked the ball up just inside his own half and sped off at pace, leaving a trail of Hibs players in his wake before crashing a shot past Rocky at the near post.

It seemed to me as though Rocky was being left to keep the score down almost on his own but following another couple of good saves he was beaten again by Morelos and then in time added on, Ojo found the net after a deflection sent Rocky the wrong way.

Going back to my initial comments on how I felt, I need to add humiliated because that performance was not befitting our football club. Manager, coaches and players all share the blame and they really need to get their act together quickly.

The players

Marciano – It seems odd to say this, given he’d shipped six goals and could have done better regarding a couple of them but Rocky gets my man of the match award.

McGregor – A central defender in a team that’s shipped six goals is not going to earn any plaudits for his performance.

Hanlon – See McGregor.

Mackie – Left horribly exposed at times in the first half I cannot fathom out why he used an arm when he knew he was already on a yellow. I understand some on twitter are saying it hit his shoulder but from my vantage point at the other end of the park it looked to have struck his arm.

Horgan - Credit to the laddie for making the run and scoring the goal but apart from that he was largely anonymous and no help whatsoever to Whittaker.

Mallan – Part of a centre midfield that was continuously overrun and so offered little of any note in a positive sense.

Vela – I actually felt a wee bit sorry for him because with the wide men failing in their defensive duties he was pulled left and right to try and help the full backs.

Allan – The lad must be helluva frustrated because other than that peach of a pass for the goal he had pretty much zero movement ahead of him for the most part.

Newell – I’m going to resort to an old football cliché here. It was like playing with a man short. I don’t know if the massive crowd got to him but he was like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Doidge – Another who failed to impress and the Rangers central defenders didn’t give him a sniff.

Murray – Made more of an effort to help his full back but the dismissal of Mackie gave him little opportunity to offer anything going forward.

Gray – It was good to see him back but he looked a mile off the pace if truth be told.

Kamberi – Shouldn’t have been on because the appalling weakening of our midfield meant he didn’t even have scraps to feed off.

Hecky – Sorry PH but you got that one very wrong and saying the shape didn’t lose us the game, rather losing the balls in silly areas, doesn’t sit well with me. We could have shipped double figures today and our shape and substitutions would have been high amongst the reasons for doing so.

The fans – Deserve an award for, mostly, staying to the bitter end.

John Beaton – A number of daft and baffling decisions but otherwise what you’d expect from him – admittedly those two things are one and the same!

Thanks John , another excellent and honest report which I always look forward to reading. It gives me a real pulse on things. Being in Canada and watching on HibsTV I know it's not the same as being live at a game , but you were very respectful and kind in your reporting. I agree with everything you said but I am a little more critical. I went through the emotions like most of us.... I am now in that camp that is very concerned about what I see. We've seen a lot us Hibby's but that was awful...I hope it truly is a case of allowing a few weeks for the new guys to gel etc...but I already have my doubts

Big90inOz
13-08-2019, 05:26 AM
Just watched the "highlights", were we wearing lead boots ? The one thing which I noticed time after time was how our players had a yard start and were beaten to the ball time after time, and sad to say but there were many times when the Hibs player simply gave up.

We were out muscled, out fought, out thought, over ran and out played. There is always an over the top reaction to losses by some on Hibs.Net but this performance looked absolutely awful.

BILLYHIBS
13-08-2019, 05:59 AM
Just watched the "highlights", were we wearing lead boots ? The one thing which I noticed time after time was how our players had a yard start and were beaten to the ball time after time, and sad to say but there were many times when the Hibs player simply gave up.

We were out muscled, out fought, out thought, over ran and out played. There is always an over the top reaction to losses by some on Hibs.Net but this performance looked absolutely awful.
:agree:

Shrekko
13-08-2019, 12:45 PM
It’s depressing because it’s taken us years to get to the level we did with record ST sales, 18k average attendances, completes stadium and training ground. Rather than push on and use this momentum and extra income we’ve somehow managed to go back to Fenlon type signings and an uninspiring boring manager. It will be a sin if we tumble back into mediocrity after the hard slog to get to where we were. I can’t even bring myself to watch the highlights and as a ST holder for many years I’m giving the Morton game a miss as I’m bored and angry that we’ve managed to turn this around so poorly in such a short time 😕

You do realise that that fans who desert the team at the first sign of trouble (which they're entitled to if they so please- so not an uber fan debate) will be partly responsible taking us backwards towards mediocrity? If we have folk jumping off the wagon after 2 league games it doesn't show a lot of resilience. We're all in this in some way.

Speedway
13-08-2019, 12:55 PM
I’d like to see that, purely because a marquee signing would presumably be a massive improvement on what we have.

Mulumbu would improve our team immensely.

We stopped signing the higher profile players that are available when Lennon left.

I just can't believe he started Newall in the first place. Everything that we have heard about him, and everything we have seen so far, suggests that he won't put in a power of work. A sort of Matt Le Tissier type player, only without the 30 yard volleys into the top corner.

Never the type of player to start yesterday and it worries me that Hecky thought otherwise.

Newell = Matt Le Tissier just without the pace, touch, eye for goal or flair.

ben johnson
13-08-2019, 01:19 PM

The SC win has changed many things within the Club and that includes the supporters expectations. After we stumbled , blinking , into the sunlight of the SC winners promised land we have dreaded returning to the role of also rans. The Club will have to act quickly but at least they know now that a successfull team on the pitch means people will come to support the the club
I don’t want an indoor training pitch I want better players