PDA

View Full Version : Midfield

Lee Marvin
11-08-2019, 07:09 PM
Mallan, Allan, Vela, Slivka, Murray.

The above are fighting over 3 places. Its absolutely terrifying to me that we could be going into a season with only these options.

I've been a heckingbottom fan up until now, but if he is serious when stating he will not be signing anyone else he will not make it until Christmas.

They are all very similar. None have pace or physicality and none of them are actually defensive minded. We will get bullied by most teams in this league.

we are hibs
11-08-2019, 07:25 PM
Lets face it. The midfield have been soft as **** for the past year. Teams waltz through our midfield. There is zero cohesion. They cant keep a shape or stay disciplined off the ball. There are players in there who simply hide when we have the ball. They dont want the responsibility. People talk about brave midfielders. To me a brave midfielder is someone who wants to take the ball in tight areas and feels confident enough to play their way out of it. Im only seeing that with allan at the minute.

Smartie
11-08-2019, 08:18 PM
Lets face it. The midfield have been soft as **** for the past year. Teams waltz through our midfield. There is zero cohesion. They cant keep a shape or stay disciplined off the ball. There are players in there who simply hide when we have the ball. They dont want the responsibility. People talk about brave midfielders. To me a brave midfielder is someone who wants to take the ball in tight areas and feels confident enough to play their way out of it. Im only seeing that with allan at the minute.

I know he has his fans on here but the constant in that midfield has been Mallan. I just don't think he has any of the necessary attributes to play the role he's being asked to play. That's twice in a row at Ibrox he has been absolutely dreadful.

We know how good Allan is, he's a first pick. Vela's looking a bit lost at the moment but that is mainly due to the carnage around him - I think he is a decent player. I think we need a first pick to play in midfield with these 2, and then I think we need some decent back up for those 2. Mallan is backup for Allan.

I think we then need an extra wide player in addition to Middleton and another striker.

If we get this sorted there will hopefully be a bit less pressure on our defence who aren't normally as bad (or as exposed) as they were today.

If we don't get these players in we'll be bickering about this until January again, when we'll probably sort it. We may well be 8th or 9th and have managed to get through another manager by then though.

BILLYHIBS
11-08-2019, 08:22 PM
Wake up call for Hecky

If he doesn’t bring in quality recruits he must know he won’t be here come Christmas

lyonhibs
11-08-2019, 08:29 PM

The above are fighting over 3 places. Its absolutely terrifying to me that we could be going into a season with only these options.

I've been a heckingbottom fan up until now, but if he is serious when stating he will not be signing anyone else he will not make it until Christmas.

They are all very similar. None have pace or physicality and none of them are actually defensive minded. We will get bullied by most teams in this league.

All very similar? So we've 5 x Scott Allan on our hands then?

Of course not. A defensive midfielder is needed for games like today, but I read a lot last year about how Milligan/Marv were wasted for most games so with that 5 we should be fine for 80 odd % of games.....

Changes needed, in mentality/playing style above anything else, but let's not spraff here.

Diclonius
11-08-2019, 08:39 PM
Mallan and Allan can't play together. Pick one and stick the other on the bench, then sign someone who can tackle.

Torto7
11-08-2019, 08:53 PM
Aaron Tshibola is still available. He was good for Killie last year and would immediately improve our midfield. Aston Villa owe us a favour or two too.

Lee Marvin
11-08-2019, 08:55 PM

Of course not. A defensive midfielder is needed for games like today, but I read a lot last year about how Milligan/Marv were wasted for most games so with that 5 we should be fine for 80 odd % of games.....

Changes needed, in mentality/playing style above anything else, but let's not spraff here.

I don't think it's me that is 'spraffing' here, pal.

I said they are all very similar. None are fast. None are big and physical. None can tackle. None are good in the air. None are defensive minded first and foremost.

They are all tidy on the ball. All like to create. None of their first instincts are to defend.

The above adds up to them all being very similar players - not identical players like you incorrectly quoted me as saying.

HibsGW
11-08-2019, 08:57 PM

I think I was fairly alone with this opinion but I thought at the time letting Bartley go was a mistake, underappreciated player who really contributed something to the team. I know he wasnt the most gifted technical player but he always contributed something which is more than you can say about most at the moment. Also agree that some games weren’t suited for him but he’d still have been handy to have around imo

jacomo
11-08-2019, 09:52 PM

I think the comments were fair.

If the kids are good enough then play them, if not we need a defensive minded option because at the moment the balance seems all wrong.

Mutu
11-08-2019, 09:55 PM
Christ, now we've got people wishing Bartley was back? He would have been chasing his tail today just like the rest of them.

You have to look at what Hecky is trying to do - he wants us to be a possession based team. I actually think we have the central midfielders to do it but it is a hard style of play to pull off as it requires a lot of good movement and tactical understanding. I've not seen today's game but at St. Mirren our off the ball movement just wasn't good enough. We just didn't quite know what to do - centre backs passing between themselves etc. Against an aggressive team like Rangers who won't give you space it is no surprise that we have been walked through today.

Hecky obviously needs time but we from a tactical perspective he needs to set out clearly what he wants the players to do. I'm not seeing that yet.

I will say this though, if we want to turn up on a Saturday afternoon and see players like Scott Allan being allowed to play then we need to understand that it might not always work. I'm personally fine with giving Hecky time if it means I get to watch Hibs attempt to play football in the right way. I get a sense that the folk complaining that we are too lightweight would also be complaining if were lumping it long to Doidge every week with a team full of huddies.

Bit of patience required.

Heisenberg
11-08-2019, 09:57 PM
Mallan and Allan can't play together. Pick one and stick the other on the bench, then sign someone who can tackle.

Totally agree. If Allan isn’t the one that remains in the team between the two of them I’d probably chuck football all together.

Hi Heid Yin
11-08-2019, 09:58 PM

The 2 in bold are the only 2 that I feel relatively confident in to offer us game-changing performances.

jeffers
11-08-2019, 10:07 PM
The 2 in bold are the only 2 that I feel relatively confident in to offer us game-changing performances.

I can't remember the last time Mallan offered that, in far too many games he's a total passenger. It doesn't help he's being played so deep. I'd rather Fraser Murray was picked instead of Mallan.

smithy_hibees
11-08-2019, 10:13 PM

Stop spraffing then... if you can't honestly see the similarities to Vela,Allan and Mallan then maybe time rewatch them.. Allan is the best out the 3 by a mile but if we go with those 3 all season 6-1 against Rangers away will be the least of our problems

Torto7
11-08-2019, 10:14 PM
Mallan needs to be in and around the opponents goal as his biggest skill is his shooting. Unfortunately our manager seems to think he's a deep lying playmaker or a box to box midfielder dependant on how the game is going which is usually poorly.

I wonder if he could play in Newells position. Cutting in on his right foot. If he can't then he's backup to Allan and on the bench.

The Modfather
11-08-2019, 10:19 PM

I think he makes a good point and agree with him. Who in your opinion out of those options has any pace or physicality?

They are all very similar types of players, but with varying degrees of ability.

Franck Stanton
11-08-2019, 10:23 PM
Has Malumba a signed for anyone yet ?

The Modfather
11-08-2019, 10:23 PM
I think we need two energetic box to box midfielders that can harry and win the ball and then give it you Allan.

I don’t think we can afford the 1 player that has the attributes and quality needed to make a balanced midfield 3 from Allan and Mallan/Vela. It’s two Omeomga type midfielders we need complimenting Allan IMO. Given the money we’ve spent on a Mallan & Vela I think our midfield won’t be good enough or what we need for a long time yet while we persist trying to work out how to fit Mallan and/Vela into it.

smithy_hibees
11-08-2019, 10:28 PM
Allan actually gives the ball away a lot and we need someone in and around him swapping up after him, Mallan And Vela ain't that type they also want be trying things which just doesn't work and means we will continue to lose out in there and most likely lose games week on week

Hi Heid Yin
11-08-2019, 10:43 PM
I can't remember the last time Mallan offered that, in far too many games he's a total passenger. It doesn't help he's being played so deep. I'd rather Fraser Murray was picked instead of Mallan.

I agree that Mallan is often played too deep and this frustrates him I'm sure as much as it frustrates the rest of us.
He is clearly less effective when playing further back.
When played further forward he offers far, far more in terms of goal threat and assists.

He didn't win the POYT last season for nothing.

Murray, for me anyway, always comes across as bog-standard average and not a game-changer.
He has a long way to go to be mentioned in the same breath as Stevie Mallan.

jeffers
11-08-2019, 10:52 PM
I agree that Mallan is often played too deep and this frustrates him I'm sure as much as it frustrates the rest of us.
He is clearly less effective when playing further back.
When played further forward he offers far, far more in terms of goal threat and assists.

He didn't win the POYT last season for nothing.

Murray, for me anyway, always comes across as bog-standard average and not a game-changer.
He has a long way to go to be mentioned in the same breath as Stevie Mallan.

We both agree that Mallan is better further forward, our manager insists on playing him in a position where he offers little to nothing in most games. If we are to play with a "luxury" player there is no question in my mind that Scott Allan gets in the side ahead of Mallan.

He had a great start to last season, but I'm struggling to remember his last assist or goal.

I like the little I've seen of Murray, has pass to setup McNulty against Aberdeen shows he has some quality and he deserves a chance ahead of Mallan IMO. Mallan is only in the side on the off chance he might hit a long range shot or get a free kick, but like I said when did he last score ?

Col2
11-08-2019, 11:17 PM
I know he has his fans on here but the constant in that midfield has been Mallan. I just don't think he has any of the necessary attributes to play the role he's being asked to play. That's twice in a row at Ibrox he has been absolutely dreadful.

We know how good Allan is, he's a first pick. Vela's looking a bit lost at the moment but that is mainly due to the carnage around him - I think he is a decent player. I think we need a first pick to play in midfield with these 2, and then I think we need some decent back up for those 2. Mallan is backup for Allan.

I think we then need an extra wide player in addition to Middleton and another striker.

If we get this sorted there will hopefully be a bit less pressure on our defence who aren't normally as bad (or as exposed) as they were today.

If we don't get these players in we'll be bickering about this until January again, when we'll probably sort it. We may well be 8th or 9th and have managed to get through another manager by then though.

Mallan has zero pace, questionable passing ability, zero physicality and presence but on a good day can score goals and great for others. He is a total luxury player but he and Allan cannot remain in the same midfield unless we change the formation.

jax67
12-08-2019, 09:37 AM

When we don’t have the ball Mallan contributes s.f.a.
Slivka is a better option v the ugly sisters imo

500miles
12-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Mallan has zero pace, questionable passing ability, zero physicality and presence but on a good day can score goals and great for others. He is a total luxury player but he and Allan cannot remain in the same midfield unless we change the formation.

The choice isn't between Allan and Mallan. It's Mallan or Newell, and Mallan wins that hands down.

patlowe
12-08-2019, 10:11 AM
The biggest worry (among a few) for me is Heckingbottom's suggestion that he has built a team that could now carry out the style he wants, ie high energy and pressing. Particularly in midfield, but generally across the park, this is simply not the case and it's worrying that he believes it to be so.

The guys he has brought in look even slower and lower energy than what we had before IMO. TBF Vela looks like he potentially could do it but he seems a bit lost in terms of what he's being asked to do. The few guys that probably could play in the way he wants were either here already (Boyle, Horgan) or not really his signing anyway (Allan).

Hecky deserves a chance based on the way he so impressively got results out of nothing last season, but there are certainly warning signs. I imagine we will be OK due to the relative weakness of the league but these opening games have been so disheartening.

Borderhibbie76
12-08-2019, 12:40 PM
Was saying to someone at work today I cannot understand for the life of me why he let Milligan go and hasn't replaced him with a similar type of player

Dreadful decision that is now coming back to haunt us...we cant go thru till the Jan window with the current midfield ...surely??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Smartie
12-08-2019, 01:29 PM
Was saying to someone at work today I cannot understand for the life of me why he let Milligan go and hasn't replaced him with a similar type of player

Dreadful decision that is now coming back to haunt us...we cant go thru till the Jan window with the current midfield ...surely??

When he got rid of Milligan he stuck his neck on the block.

Whilst Milligan wasn't universally popular, he was one of our best players during the second half of the season, the second half where we did ok over the piece. He was found wanting bit at Ibrox so I could understand why PH might have wanted to see if he could use the wage for someone better.

As it stands currently he hasn't, and that is looking like one of his most questionable calls so far. A central midfield of Allan, Milligan and AN Other with a bit of energy would provide so, so much more than we're getting right now from the current midfield 3.

James Stephen
12-08-2019, 01:30 PM

Whilst Milligan wasn't universally popular, he was one of our best players during the second half of the season, the second half where we did ok over the piece. He was found wanting bit at Ibrox so I could understand why PH might have wanted to see if he could use the wage for someone better.

As it stands currently he hasn't, and that is looking like one of his most questionable calls so far. A central midfield of Allan, Milligan and AN Other with a bit of energy would provide so, so much more than we're getting right now from the current midfield 3.

Fair points.

I would even say Bartley would be an upgrade in there, for certain matches at least. Seems daft to have let both go without replacing them.

Borderhibbie76
12-08-2019, 01:58 PM
Fair points.

I would even say Bartley would be an upgrade in there, for certain matches at least. Seems daft to have let both go without replacing them.Bartleys ship had sailed mate but the Milligan one baffles me...he seriously needs a powerful midfielder in before the end of the month otherwise it's his neck on the chopping board. If he sticks with that midfield as it is...he will be sacked by Xmas imho

Saint Hibee
12-08-2019, 02:13 PM
The choice isn't between Allan and Mallan. It's Mallan or Newell, and Mallan wins that hands down.

This is how I see it, too.

SideBurns
12-08-2019, 02:20 PM

In an ideal world, I wouldn't have Newell or Mallan in the starting 11 but given the Hobson's choice it would have to be Mallan.

The present Hibs midfield devoid of Allan doesn't bear thinking about.

Diclonius
12-08-2019, 02:44 PM
In an ideal world, I wouldn't have Newell or Mallan in the starting 11 but given the Hobson's choice it would have to be Mallan.

The present Hibs midfield devoid of Allan doesn't bear thinking about.

Mallan is a natural fit IF he has two guys protecting him. The fact that both Lennon and Heckingbottom have tried to shoehorn him into his current role beggars ****ing belief.

Unfortunately for Mallan, Allan is a much better player and for that reason he's out.

Tyler Durden
12-08-2019, 08:28 PM

I was delighted to see Milligan go as I was full of confidence that Hecky would bring in 2 energetic and athletic players to fill that gap. Maybe one more established and one loan. Guys who would be a step up from Milligan, who did a job but was very limited.

It seems Ojo fits that description and I think he’s looked pretty good for Aberdeen. Vela - whilst it’s early days - is not that athletic dynamic type. You can see why he was pushed back to RB for Bolton.

I’m going from the happy clapper brigade with total faith to questioning how the midfield recruiting could seemingly go so wrong for the second summer on the bounce. It really is make or break to find at least one new signing who will go straight into the team.

jacomo
12-08-2019, 09:34 PM

Even if just a short term solution while the new guys adapt to a new system, it’s weird that he let Spike go.

We’ve also signed midfielders for the development team and sent them out on loan.

Maybe there’s a plan but I’m not seeing yet.

Unseen work
12-08-2019, 09:40 PM
I was delighted to see Milligan go as I was full of confidence that Hecky would bring in 2 energetic and athletic players to fill that gap. Maybe one more established and one loan. Guys who would be a step up from Milligan, who did a job but was very limited.

It seems Ojo fits that description and I think he’s looked pretty good for Aberdeen. Vela - whilst it’s early days - is not that athletic dynamic type. You can see why he was pushed back to RB for Bolton.

I’m going from the happy clapper brigade with total faith to questioning how the midfield recruiting could seemingly go so wrong for the second summer on the bounce. It really is make or break to find at least one new signing who will go straight into the team.

Ojo, whilst starting brightly is getting absolutely slated by Aberdeen fans after his performance the past 2 games.

Sounds very much like what the S****horpe fans said about when it’s going good he’s great, when it’s going bad he’s sh**e

Unseen work
12-08-2019, 09:43 PM
I think the fact Slivka is being made out so good and a starter shows the drop in standard we have had over the past season.

Hes a good player and handy option to have, but we should have better in central mid.

The one thing I like about him though is that he would be difficult to play against as he runs beyonds the striker which very little player do now.

The_Horde
12-08-2019, 09:46 PM
Id like to see us sign the ex Killie midfielder Mulongabu.

GreenCastle
12-08-2019, 09:47 PM
I miss Omeonga - he changed our season in January along with McNulty and Milligan playing his best football after the Asia Cup.

Omeonga was the closest we had to replacing SJM energy levels.

You need energy and sharpness to win the ball back and play in the Scottish League.

There has to be a couple players we can add to the middle that could do that to improve us.

We talked for years about replacing Matty Jack - we got Bartley finally. We hen had Bartley and Milligan - even at times we had Fyvie, Dylan and SJM which had a bit of everything.

It’s been obvious for months the middle isn’t right and my worry is don’t know the best 3 and against the the better sides we will be over run leaving the back players exposed.

tonyrougier123
12-08-2019, 09:51 PM
I miss Omeonga - he changed our season in January along with McNulty and Milligan playing his best football after the Asia Cup.

Omeonga was the closest we had to replacing SJM energy levels.

You need energy and sharpness to win the ball back and play in the Scottish League.

There has to be a couple players we can add to the middle that could do that to improve us.

We talked for years about replacing Matty Jack - we got Bartley finally. We hen had Bartley and Milligan - even at times we had Fyvie, Dylan and SJM which had a bit of everything.

It’s been obvious for months the middle isn’t right and my worry is don’t know the best 3 and against the the better sides we will be over run leaving the back players exposed.

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

We should have got him on loan again for any cost if he wanted to play for us again.

Truly did replace something of the many things weclost when mcginn was sold.

CMurdoch
12-08-2019, 10:12 PM
Id like to see us sign the ex Killie midfielder Mulongabu.

Never heard of him!

:wink:

CMurdoch
12-08-2019, 10:13 PM
����������������������������

We should have got him on loan again for any cost if he wanted to play for us again.

Truly did replace something of the many things weclost when mcginn was sold.

For any cost we could have got a much better player than Omeonga
For any cost we could have got Pogba

PH91
12-08-2019, 10:25 PM
We play with 3 central midfielders. We are told we want 2 players for every position so;
Allan plays the advanced no 10 role. Mallan should be his understudy.

Vela plays the ball playing midfielder role (i actually like him and think he will be good with the right player beside him)
Slivka should be his understudy

That is all we have. So we are missing 2 players in the role which has been missing for a year, someone with energy and a bit dig in the middle of the park.

So even saying murray is now a full team player and he is understudy, we are missing a first team player. For me, it is essential that we bring in a quality player for this position if we want to compete against the better teams. If its true and we are done this window then i will be angry and disappointed that yet again, for the third window in a row, we haven't addressed this absolutely glaring issue!

tonyrougier123
12-08-2019, 10:36 PM
For any cost we could have got a much better player than Omeonga
For any cost we could have got Pogba

Im laughing 😕

Mango Man
12-08-2019, 10:42 PM
I think Whittaker would be good in the DM role, wouldn't get quite as exposed as he does out wide, would get stuck in, bit of a ball player, I'm sure he has probably played that role a few times for us before.

blackpoolhibs
13-08-2019, 08:56 AM
Unbalanced, players playing out of position and lightweight beyond belief.

Where have i heard this before, its as if managers dont see what we see?:faf:

Lee Marvin
13-08-2019, 09:51 AM
Unbalanced, players playing out of position and lightweight beyond belief.

Where have i heard this before, its as if managers dont see what we see?:faf:

It's verging on gross misconduct if we don't add to this area before the deadline. It'll certainly be professional suicide from Hecky

The 90+2
13-08-2019, 09:52 AM
I think Whittaker would be good in the DM role, wouldn't get quite as exposed as he does out wide, would get stuck in, bit of a ball player, I'm sure he has probably played that role a few times for us before.

Why would we punt Bartley and Milligan and just put Whittaker there for ****s?

HappyAsHellas
13-08-2019, 09:59 AM

Maybe because he helped turn the game around v Hearts at ER when put there in the 2nd half?

B.H.F.C
13-08-2019, 10:01 AM
It's verging on gross misconduct if we don't add to this area before the deadline. It'll certainly be professional suicide from Hecky

Agree. If Heckingbottom thinks he has enough in the middle of the park then he’s lost the plot. The only other explanation is that there simply isn’t any money available to strengthen further. And if there isn’t, then why isn’t there?

Diclonius
13-08-2019, 10:14 AM
Maybe because he helped turn the game around v Hearts at ER when put there in the 2nd half?

The game we lost?

He also looked completely at sea when played there (inexplicably ahead of Bartley) in the 2-1 defeat at Tynecastle two seasons ago. He's not the answer.

The 90+2
13-08-2019, 10:20 AM

When? I can’t recall any game against them that they have been ahead of us at Easter road and we turned the game in our favour?

The 90+2
13-08-2019, 10:22 AM
The game we lost?

He also looked completely at sea when played there (inexplicably ahead of Bartley) in the 2-1 defeat at Tynecastle two seasons ago. He's not the answer.

It’s games up the pole territory if he is the answer in the middle of the pitch.

Whittaker is a Hibs legend and he tries his hardest and is professional but he’s like a fish out of water at the best of times these days at right back, never mind him trying to control the defensive side of our midfield and give confidence to the footballers in the middle.

SMAXXA
13-08-2019, 10:25 AM
Docherty, Malumbu, Thishbola would all improve us imo. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Docherty end up at hearts and see Malumbu looking like he’s going abroad

500miles
13-08-2019, 10:48 AM
Docherty, Malumbu, Thishbola would all improve us imo. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Docherty end up at hearts and see Malumbu looking like he’s going abroad

I don't think Docherty will move this window. Mulumbu will end up in Turkey or the middle East.

Mango Man
13-08-2019, 11:03 AM

I think Whittaker has a better footballing brain than both those players, I loved Marv as a purely defensive Midfielder, not many better at that role, Milligan I was never that entirely convinced about in general, maybe a few years ago. Whittaker gives you a bit of everything in midfield, he is just too exposed out wide, whereas he will have the defence backing him up when in midfield.

Anthony Soprano
13-08-2019, 11:10 AM
I think I was fairly alone with this opinion but I thought at the time letting Bartley go was a mistake, underappreciated player who really contributed something to the team. I know he wasnt the most gifted technical player but he always contributed something which is more than you can say about most at the moment. Also agree that some games weren’t suited for him but he’d still have been handy to have around imo

Nah no chance, Bartley was finished and it was evident in his performances, a great servant during his 4 years and undoubtedly will go down a legend but it was the right decision.

Smartie
13-08-2019, 11:44 AM
I think Whittaker has a better footballing brain than both those players, I loved Marv as a purely defensive Midfielder, not many better at that role, Milligan I was never that entirely convinced about in general, maybe a few years ago. Whittaker gives you a bit of everything in midfield, he is just too exposed out wide, whereas he will have the defence backing him up when in midfield.

I like Whittaker and I don't mind him in midfield but I don't think he'd be the answer to our specific problem. Our specific problem is the lack of mobility and defensive ability in midfield and whilst I don't think he'd be worse than Mallan, I don't think he'd solve the specific problem.

Our next few games should see us on the front foot against opponents. Whittaker offers us most as an attacking fullback in these games.

Mango Man
13-08-2019, 11:51 AM
I like Whittaker and I don't mind him in midfield but I don't think he'd be the answer to our specific problem. Our specific problem is the lack of mobility and defensive ability in midfield and whilst I don't think he'd be worse than Mallan, I don't think he'd solve the specific problem.

Our next few games should see us on the front foot against opponents. Whittaker offers us most as an attacking fullback in these games.

I agree with that, Whittaker isn't the most mobile in the world, but neither was Bartley or Milligan, still hoping Vela can be that energy in midfield.

Trying to fill that McGinn shaped hole in midfield was always going to be hard, not many of those types of player kicking about.

Diclonius
13-08-2019, 11:53 AM
I agree with that, Whittaker isn't the most mobile in the world, but neither was Bartley or Milligan, still hoping Vela can be that energy in midfield.

Trying to fill that McGinn shaped hole in midfield was always going to be hard, not many of those types of player kicking about.

I'm starting to think it took us eight years to replace Brown with McGinn and it's now going to be another decade to replace McGinn.

ahibby
13-08-2019, 12:17 PM

I agree with all of the above, I wanted to say the same but you've beaten me to it. He let Milligan go and in doing so we've replaced one player guilty of giving the ball away through indecision with a few capable of doing exactly the same. My hope is that when PH says we are work in progress he also means that ultimately there will be much less of us losing the ball in the middle of the park even when under little pressure. It's no surprise then that at Ibrox when under a lot of pressure all over the park we can't hold on to the ball. Further when we do lose the ball we don't have the players on the park capable of winning it back in a tackle until the defenders are reached and even then our defenders tackles aren't all that great. One thing I admired about Omeonga was his willingness to chase a lost ball and often win it back, something we are glaringly lacking now. The best we have now in that category in the middle is perhaps Slivka, imo, but he wasn't used on Saturday, which wasn't a great decision by PH in my view. Likewise he didn't go for a more experienced defence and he could have played Paul Hanlon on the left. I appreciate that he went for young legs at left back over experience and he also kept the back balanced with two left footers and two right. Perhaps that balance is more important than experience, I don't know, but with hindsight Mackie was sent off and that could be down to inexperience relatively speaking.