PDA

View Full Version : Should Paul Heckingbottom Be Manager?

Pages : [1] 2

My_Wife_Camille
11-08-2019, 05:38 PM
Where is Hibs.net on this one?

Yes or no.

NAE NOOKIE
11-08-2019, 05:46 PM
Ask us again after the first 11 fixtures are over mate ... any more results like todays and I'm pretty sure we all know what the answer will be, and BTW I dont mean 6 - 1 humiliations but losses to the likes of Hamilton and St Johnstone and a narrow derby defeat at home.

Far too early for a poll like this, even after today.

Hibernia&Alba
11-08-2019, 05:48 PM
Of course he should. He did a good job last season, so let's not overreact to one shambolic performance. We mustn't see a repeat of today and we need evidence of rebounding from this in the next game. The pressure has increased upon him significantly, particularly in relation to his signings, and he must prove his mettle. Another game like today and he will be in trouble.

Let's see what the next few weeks delivers.

Glory Lurker
Ask us again after the first 11 fixtures are over mate ... any more results like todays and I'm pretty sure we all know what the answer will be, and BTW I dont mean 6 - 1 humiliations but losses to the likes of Hamilton and St Johnstone and a narrow derby defeat at home.

Far too early for a poll like this, even after today.

Spot on.

The 90+2
Yes. If he’s going to make an arse of it then at least give him a fighting chance of not to. With a new owner there’s every reason logically to punt him mind you.

Coco Bryce
11-08-2019, 05:49 PM
Yes. But if we don't make the top six it's cheerio.

hibee1875
11-08-2019, 05:49 PM
What an absolutely ridiculous post.

Its hard to take as Stubbs and Lennons teams did so well against Rangers but this is a different Rangers. They'll push Celtic all the way this year, and they are now out of our league. They can attract EPL level players and they're banking on a EL group campaign to pay for them, which they'll probably get. We can't compete with that.

On a side note, I'm fed up of reading posts slating us bringing in English lower league players. Who are we meant to be buying? £10-20k a week players from the English Championship? Behave ffs.

hibee_girl
11-08-2019, 05:50 PM
It's too early to be asking this imo.

Let's see where we are after the next 5 or 6 games.

Sir David Gray
Yes but he needs to learn from today.

Many more results like that and he'll be away.

Morton next week is huge.

Blaster
Yes. But winning the next 2 games at home are a must for me

theonlywayisup
11-08-2019, 05:51 PM
Has the question been changed?

I thought it said "Should Paul Heckingbottom be sacked", so I posted no. Now I see it says "be Manager".

Anyway, as others have said, far too early to ask this question.

My_Wife_Camille
11-08-2019, 05:52 PM
It’s never too early to ask the question

If there’s an obvious answer then I’m sure the results will show us but I’m interested to see where we are at the minute.

I’ll post again in 5/6/11 games and we can compare

Cataplana
11-08-2019, 05:54 PM
Ffs

Steve20
He should never have been appointed.

The longer people accept this defensive slow horrible to watch football, the longer it will take us to recover from it.

I can’t believe anyone thinks he’s a decent manager. It’s heads in the sands stuff. He’s awful. Pretending he’s not doesn’t get you bonus fan points.

Gatecrasher
Nope, his appointment was a mess, he hasn't adapted to the game up here, the signings are average at best and we are better of getting rid before any long term damage is done. Season tickets are selling well, the fans are turning up in numbers, it's important to maintain that in order for the club to move forward. That won't happen under heckingbottom.

Leitherhibs
We're hurting, I get it. But the level of over reaction is embarrassing, this poll shows how many irrational fans we have.

AgentDaleCooper
he should absolutely still be our manager, but if he were a cat, that would be about 7 of his 9 lives down the pan today. the result suggests we've taken a seven-year-long step backwards. any more evidence that this might be the case and we need to punt him ASAP and really, really push the boat out with the next appointment.

Wee Scottie Dug
Yes, ya big drama queen :panic::panic:

Hibeesmad
11-08-2019, 05:55 PM
I think it would be ridiculous to sack him just now but I am worried that majority of his promises have not come to fruition.

The 90+2
11-08-2019, 05:56 PM
Yes.
Should some supporters be allowed near a computer?
Not so sure.

Statistics show very little users on social media use computers to post. It’s also way off topic to what the thread asks. Perhaps make your own thread about supporters and computers?

Iain G
11-08-2019, 05:57 PM
We're hurting, I get it. But the level of over reaction is embarrassing, this poll shows how many irrational fans we have.

The witch Hunters are out in force today ejaculating over their keyboards at the first chance they get, yeah we lost, we hurt and we move onto the next game, far too early to be putting manager and brand new players on the fire after two league games...

Pretty Boy
11-08-2019, 05:57 PM
I'm not suggesting he should be sacked but I'd be stunned if he's still our manager this time next year. A solution will be found that suits everyone; my guess is it will involve a League 1 or 2 club down south and a situation similar to Bobby Williamson.

Pretty Boy
11-08-2019, 05:59 PM
The witch Hunters are out in force today ejaculating over their keyboards at the first chance they get, yeah we lost, we hurt and we move onto the next game, far too early to be putting manager and brand new players on the fire after two league games...

Tbf plenty 'witch hunters' were in attendance at Ibrox today as well. Any pressure on PH is far from being a social media/Internet phenomenom.

sleeping giant
11-08-2019, 06:00 PM
2 games in .
Absolutely mental.

Let's see where we are in a few games.

mcfly
11-08-2019, 06:00 PM

Its hard to take as Stubbs and Lennons teams did so well against Rangers but this is a different Rangers. They'll push Celtic all the way this year, and they are now out of our league. They can attract EPL level players and they're banking on a EL group campaign to pay for them, which they'll probably get. We can't compete with that.

On a side note, I'm fed up of reading posts slating us bringing in English lower league players. Who are we meant to be buying? £10-20k a week players from the English Championship? Behave ffs.

You are right we can’t compete paying those sums

But we can match them in effort. Do you really feel those new signings are busting a gut fir the team and the fans?

Newall, vela and Doidge cannot have broken sweat the last 2 weeks.

Sorry but that comes down to the manager. The jury is out and he has to
Up his game or he will have to leave as the club can not afford crowds to drop which they will under mr heckingbottom

heretoday
11-08-2019, 06:01 PM
It's rather premature to be asking this question.
We were down to ten men at Ibrox and then the roof fell in. We won't be the last team to get gubbed by Rangers and Celtic this season.
Face it. It's not a level playing field in Scotland.

The Captain....

The longer people accept this defensive slow horrible to watch football, the longer it will take us to recover from it.

I can’t believe anyone thinks he’s a decent manager. It’s heads in the sands stuff. He’s awful. Pretending he’s not doesn’t get you bonus fan points.Agreed..its timid passive rubbish.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

neil7908
2 games in .
Absolutely mental.

6-1 is brutal though. I'm not wanting him sacked but that is a disgrace of a performance.

DetroitHibs
11-08-2019, 06:03 PM
Voted no. The reason I voted no, is I just don’t see him as the type of manager that takes us forward. Think we’ll just be going through the motions under him. Absolutely nothing he’s done so far has inspired me. What I watched in the preseason and cup games was dire stuff. Can’t see that changing.

My_Wife_Camille
11-08-2019, 06:04 PM
The results at 50/50

Regardless of what the answer is, it’s clear that’s it’s not too early to ask the question.

Since452
11-08-2019, 06:05 PM
Deary me. Is a pumping with 10 men from a club with a comparatively massive budget to ours who just pumped a top league Danish side in Europe and have aspirations to win the league now a sackable offence? If we get knocked out the cup by Morton then lose against St Johnstone I'll start to get worried.

First defeat of the season and the knives are out for Heckingbottom yet the Lennon polls only started after 1 win in 15 or whatever it was. Mental.

leithsansiro
11-08-2019, 06:06 PM
Yes, of course he should. It’s madness to punt a manager after a literal handful of games. Lennon left ya in a total mess, and people need to remember him for that, not for the win-at-all costs hero he’s being made out as

we are hibs
11-08-2019, 06:08 PM
I started the should lennon remain hibs manager thread in december last year and was told it was far too early by several people despite all signs suggesting otherwise. He was gone a month and a half later. So i wont have a go at you starting the thread as i think its a valid question as there are many factors at the minute which just arent right.

But for me he stays. For now. But his coat is on a shoogly peg. Anything less than winning our next 2 and convincing performances and the doubt will grow. I dont envisage him being here long term. His comments during the week contradict everything we see. "We will have a go at celtic and rangers. We will be aggresive. On the front foot" well every single time we have faced either under heckingbottom we have shown none of that.

angus hibby
11-08-2019, 06:08 PM
See Mark McNulty’s interview on BBC website.

With McNulty no longer being with us, he doesn’t need to say this. I’ll stick to trusting the guys who have actually worked under Heckingbottom rather than the “fans” who are questioning whether he should be manager after our first competitive defeat of the season.

Yes it was a sore one today but teams do suffer heavy defeats from time to time whether we like it or not. Wenger got 8 I think at Old Trafford?

SingaporeHibs
11-08-2019, 06:10 PM
Too early to be talking about sacking but he needs his signings to get a grip of the Scottish game quickly. The English game in the lower leagues is played very differently and none of them should underestimate the quality they are up against in our league.
Hecky himself needs to be quick in his assessment of those he’s signed. If they aren’t showing it they need recycled. I’m worried about Newell and Doidge in particular while Vela and AJ have showed signs of bringing something to the table.
It’s not only his signings that are being assessed. It’s every single player. They all need to step up.
Hecky needs to help himself. I complained about Lennon switching the team from one week to the next and now Hecky doing the same. Why drop AJ for Daz? Why drop Flo for Doidge? Both did well enough last week to keep their place.
At the end of the first round of games we’ll all have a much better idea.

sleeping giant
11-08-2019, 06:13 PM
6-1 is brutal though. I'm not wanting him sacked but that is a disgrace of a performance.

Absolutely .
Sadly these things happen in football .
If it continues to happen , then ill be worried.
Was brutal though.

DickieDastardly
11-08-2019, 06:17 PM
Not an unfair post.

We were certainly not in a good place when he came on board and he had a positive impact initially, however post split we were pretty poor.

The concern for me is around his signings, I do not believe any so far are better than existing players and it feels a bit dejavu having a manager thinking the Scottish game is so poor most lower league players from England will stroll it. The game in Scotland may not have the money of the premiership but below average players are quickly found out by fans and opposing teams alike.

I also feel we have been been riding the wave of euphoria since the cup win, it gave great buoyancy to the club but it is now (inevitably) starting to wane.

Hope I am wrong but I fear a long and difficult season may be looming.

Jim44
11-08-2019, 06:18 PM
I never thought I’d see myself saying this, but, no matter how negative we want to be about them, Gerrard is putting together a strong team which will challenge Celtic and maybe even pip them to the post. We have little or no chance of a top four finish but a top six finish is well within our grasp. Until that eventuality is slipping away from us, I think it’s a knee-jerk reaction to talk about sacking the guy in the immediate future. If we are in free fall just before Christmas, I would go along with the new broom theory, but we’ve got to give the guy a chance. Tongue in cheek final comment, I wonder if they’ve started a Heckingbottom must stay thread yet. :greengrin

Leith Green
11-08-2019, 06:19 PM
Jury was out for me before today but i havent came on here and hounded him or the team. After today i hope he leaves .. That was an utter shambles today, struggling to think of having seen a worse hibs performance in a long long time. Our team has no speed in possession, no tempo to our play , no aggression in the areas that matter , allow the opposition too much time on the ball. That was a disgraceful way to setup and all his comments reek of negativity with a hint of smarm

B.H.F.C
11-08-2019, 06:20 PM
I wouldn’t sack him....yet.

Take away the results, I think he’s caused his own problems. He’s spoken openly about how he wants to play. But the reality couldn’t be further from that. Intensity? Pressing? Na.

DTS
11-08-2019, 06:21 PM
Right now yes. It’s two games into the season, today was a shambles had it stayed 11 v 11 who knows but it didn’t and it was a disgrace. Bounce back next two at home and win comfy and it will be time to move in from today. Look at the hearts killie and Aberdeen results this weekend. Rangers and Celtic a mile ahead of the rest and I expect us to still finish 4th IMO. The reality is rangers are now done with being pish going to ibrox is the same as Celtic park now a free hit and hopefully get a good result. They’re a good team and probably the worst team in the country to play against with ten men as their strengths are keeping wingers high and wide

#2 Double Tap
11-08-2019, 06:24 PM

I want him sacked along with the recruitment team, they have and are all under performing.

The 3 guys I go to the games with also dislike hecky, he is full of hot air!

Viva_Palmeiras
11-08-2019, 06:24 PM

Yes or no.

Two words :

Perspective.

Tabloid dream poll. When Biscuits and that Aberdeen bang on about this all season the material given on a plate.

Take Hearts as an example - how many without a win and who were they playing - Ross County. I’m back off to bed

Hibeesmad
11-08-2019, 06:27 PM

Take away the results, I think he’s caused his own problems. He’s spoken openly about how he wants to play. But the reality couldn’t be further from that. Intensity? Pressing? Na.

This for me too, he said in his pre match conference that he didn’t mind losing as long as we had a go, did we even have a go today?

Speedway
11-08-2019, 06:27 PM
2 games in .
Absolutely mental.

What signs of encouragement do you see, SG?

Viva_Palmeiras
11-08-2019, 06:29 PM

I thought it said "Should Paul Heckingbottom be sacked", so I posted no. Now I see it says "be Manager".

If so that’s the poll ****** no?

BoltonHibee
11-08-2019, 06:29 PM
No. He shouldn’t be anywhere near our club. Last 6 games of last season abysmal. League cup games and league games been abysmal. His signings have been awful. This is only going to end one way, the sooner he has gone the better for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CockneyRebel
11-08-2019, 06:30 PM
Of course he should. He did a good job last season, so let's not overreact to one shambolic performance. We mustn't see a repeat of today and we need evidence of rebounding from this in the next game. The pressure has increased upon him significantly, particularly in relation to his signings, and he must prove his mettle. Another game like today and he will be in trouble.

The few decent results last season came with the players he inherited and the longer he was here the worse we looked. The more players he signed, the worse we have got. I am normally a glass half full gadgie but apart from the signings being less than impressive, his tactics are baffling and my glass is near empty. Even a few days ago I was saying give him time - after today he should be doing time.

What's Appleton up to these days?

Hiber-nation
11-08-2019, 06:31 PM
As I said on another thread, last season's good run was more down to McNulty rather then Heckingbottom.

The signings are abysmal and I don't give a monkey's what anyone says, Alan Stubbs should have got that job.

Sir David Gray
11-08-2019, 06:33 PM
I never thought I’d see myself saying this, but, no matter how negative we want to be about them, Gerrard is putting together a strong team which will challenge Celtic and maybe even pip them to the post. We have little or no chance of a top four finish but a top six finish is well within our grasp. Until that eventuality is slipping away from us, I think it’s a knee-jerk reaction to talk about sacking the guy in the immediate future. If we are in free fall just before Christmas, I would go along with the new broom theory, but we’ve got to give the guy a chance. Tongue in cheek final comment, I wonder if they’ve started a Heckingbottom must stay thread yet. :greengrin

We can forget about the top two but what teams would you confidently say are going to finish ahead of us in 3rd and 4th?

Aberdeen just got beaten by St Mirren today, Hearts were dreadful yesterday against Ross County and were lucky to get a draw and Kilmarnock were beaten by Hamilton.

I believe that two out of these three sides would need to finish above us to push us out of the top four as I can't see any other side doing it. I don't see anything special from any of these sides to make me say that we have little to no chance of top four. Aberdeen may improve once they're knocked out of Europe and they don't need to keep playing twice a week but other than that, I can't see any other side being so much better than us.

Since452
11-08-2019, 06:35 PM

Not having a go but who do you reckon will pip us for 3rd or 4th? Aberdeen were shocking today apparently and Hearts look bottom 6 material. I think 3rd is a possibility as we're all as poor as each other

Borderhibbie76
No. He shouldn’t be anywhere near our club. Last 6 games of last season abysmal. League cup games and league games been abysmal. His signings have been awful. This is only going to end one way, the sooner he has gone the better for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkBy last 6 games of last season are u including beating Hertz at Tynie and drawing with Celtic at home??

He is not gonna be sacked 2 games into a season especially when we won last week??

I am as angry and disappointed in today as the next Hibee but the overreaction from some on here whilst predictable is just making a bad day 10 x worse.

Let's see where we are in a months time but I agree the sands of time are running and we need to see a vast improvement over the coming weeks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

KDY Hibs

Yes or no.

Wow

Hibby John
I pray to God he gets his act together before we meet the Jumbos!

DH1875
11-08-2019, 06:36 PM
He shouldn't be our manager but he is and I would be amazed if we sacked him anytime soon.

Hibeesmad
11-08-2019, 06:38 PM
By last 6 games of last season are u including beating Hertz at Tynie and drawing with Celtic at home??

He is not gonna be sacked 2 games into a season especially when we won last week??

I am as angry and disappointed in today as the next Hibee but the overreaction from some on here whilst predictable is just making a bad day 10 x worse.

Let's see where we are in a months time but I agree the sands of time are running and we need to see a vast improvement over the coming weeks

We will see how the run goes between now and the end of September, if things don’t go too well and we lost that derby, I think it could be the beginning of the end.

However, hopefully we win every game between now and then and beat Hearts to be in a comfortable third position, looking back at this day as a distant memory.

flash
11-08-2019, 06:38 PM
No doubt there are valid concerns regarding the new players and of course today's performance but it's still too soon to have a definitive answer to this question.
This being the case it's a yes from me.
Having said that I don't think it's a helpful poll at this time and the identity of the poster who created it comes as no surprise.

Mr Grieves
11-08-2019, 06:39 PM
I was quite vocal against us appointing him in the first place but now he's here we have to give him a chance. No excuses though, this is his team and there must be improvements in our performances.

Ozyhibby
11-08-2019, 06:41 PM
If he keeps selecting Steven Whittaker then he won’t be our manager for very long. Horrendous performance from him today.

Crab apple
11-08-2019, 06:42 PM

:agree: I don't see any discernible style of play.

Allant1981
Absolute horror show today but this is his first real test as our manager, he should get our backing and see how we recover from today

erin go bragh
At 2-1 we were getting a foothold in the game( Yes we were lucky at 2-0 ,that didn’t score more ) and looked the more likely to score . Red card totally changed the game in their favour.
Taking Allan off for Doidge was a disaster but can’t judge PH on this game .

Allant1981
11-08-2019, 06:43 PM
If he keeps selecting Steven Whittaker then he won’t be our manager for very long. Horrendous performance from him today.

To be fair you could have said the same for McGregor and Hanlon today as well, if he went with porteous and jackson next week they could have no objections

Joe6-2

This,
I’d give him another 4-5 games

TheReg!
100% No!
If Ron is such a big time £££ and wants us to be pushing the Old Firn then Hicky isn’t the man. Poor signings, poor football won’t get us anywhere near where a so called Billionaire wants us to be!

6 competitive games into the season. 4 wins, 1 draw and 1st loss today = sack the manager, the invincible season is off.

11-08-2019, 06:44 PM
100% No!
If Ron is such a big time £££ and wants us to be pushing the Old Firn then Hicky isn’t the man. Poor signings, poor football won’t get us anywhere near where a so called Billionaire wants us to be!

Who said he is a billionaire?

makaveli1875
11-08-2019, 06:45 PM
6 competitive games into the season. 4 wins, 1 draw and 1st loss today = sack the manager, the invincible season is off.

This and if he isn't sacked by the morning I'm off to b and q to buy a pitchfork

Leith Green
11-08-2019, 06:45 PM
:agree: I don't see any discernible style of play.

Thats spot on for me. We look like we have the preparation and organisation of a sunday amateur team. What the hell is our style of play meant to be??

Crab apple
11-08-2019, 06:46 PM
He needs more time but his card is now well and truly marked.

The big problem for me is that if/when he does leave then we're still left with his signings all of whom look far from convincing. .

Leith Green
11-08-2019, 06:47 PM
At 2-1 we were getting a foothold in the game( Yes we were lucky at 2-0 ,that didn’t score more ) and looked the more likely to score . Red card totally changed the game in their favour.
Taking Allan off for Doidge was a disaster but can’t judge PH on this game .

Allan was injured and it was kamberi who came on for him

Hibeesmad
11-08-2019, 06:49 PM
Surely Craig and Dempster should be calling him into a meeting following that result to discuss what is wrong and offering him the resources to fix the problem. If this appointment turns out to be a disaster following the Lennon saga then surely they become under pressure?

Allan45
11-08-2019, 06:50 PM
2 games in .
Absolutely mental.

Next 2 games a must win. An embarrassing performance today. Hope things can turn around quickly. If not I feel the board will step in soon as we as a club don't want the dark days here again pre Stubbs era

S4uzee
11-08-2019, 06:55 PM
Signing players with a losing mentality - James/Newell/Doidge

Such boring football and last season was too. How many league wins in the last 10 games?

No improvement in the signings either. Get him out our club

Real Emerald
11-08-2019, 06:57 PM
He’s not done anything like he said was his philosophy and disregarded players who would have improved us. He’s brought in mediocre (in my opinion) pish like Newall. Not a fan, time will tell but for me he’s way out of his depth with no understanding of the Scottish game. Sad ☹️

BoltonHibee
11-08-2019, 06:58 PM
By last 6 games of last season are u including beating Hertz at Tynie and drawing with Celtic at home??

I meant 5 games, not 6. Unfortunately I have see his style of play down here too.

I never thought he was the man for us, I still don’t.

I’m not basing this on today’s game, but he’s finished here imo

Clarence
11-08-2019, 07:00 PM
I think we are in a bit of a catch 22 situation. I think he should be given more time but I also think that Ron won’t give him his full backing financially. I think Ron is quite happy to have a steady-ish ship for now and wait until he has someone he appoints himself before he puts his hands in his pockets.

Borderhibbie76
11-08-2019, 07:03 PM
We will see how the run goes between now and the end of September, if things don’t go too well and we lost that derby, I think it could be the beginning of the end.

However, hopefully we win every game between now and then and beat Hearts to be in a comfortable third position, looking back at this day as a distant memory.Amen to that.. but the pressure is most definitely on after today

Not So Young
11-08-2019, 07:05 PM
I voted yes

I think that two games into a new season with one really bad result does not undo what he did last season it also does not give him enough time to get the team to gel.

The players were poor and his taking Allan off I don't understand however he deserves a chance to get it right, at least wait until we have played everybody once

Thats when I make my first measurement of how we are doing

Onceinawhile
11-08-2019, 07:05 PM

He's our 3rd choice right back and 3rd choice left back. It's due to injuries he's getting a game, not out of choice.

Sir David Gray
11-08-2019, 07:07 PM

I actually thought Whittaker was one of our better players today. Granted that's not saying much but I'm surprised to see him being singled out for criticism.

DarrenSQH
11-08-2019, 07:07 PM
No. Every signing looks so poor.

I dont see him leaving anytime soon though.

WhileTheChief..
11-08-2019, 07:10 PM

I can’t believe anyone thinks he’s a decent manager. It’s heads in the sands stuff. He’s awful. Pretending he’s not doesn’t get you bonus fan points.

Yup. Folk have been pretending since day 1.

Won’t be long until he’s gone.

#2 Double Tap
11-08-2019, 07:11 PM
I actually thought Whittaker was one of our better players today. Granted that's not saying much but I'm surprised to see him being singled out for criticism.

:confused:

Ozyhibby
11-08-2019, 07:13 PM

He’s at fault in 4 of the goals?

DH1875
11-08-2019, 07:14 PM

I'm surprised that your surprised.

Leith Green

I dont know how anybody can watch that game and pick anybody out as having played better than the others. Every players performance was horrendous today. Marciano stopped us losing double figures today.

ChickenCurryYLT
Who seriously voted Yes here?

You’re part of the problem if you seriously think this guy is the man to lead our club.

A total mess from the beginning with the shambolic carry on trying to get Appleton in the door never mind the cover up regarding Lennon.

Fans are rightly angry here. I love Hibs as much as anyone but some people need to accept the club have made wrong decisions and can / will be criticised.

Sir David Gray

I left when it went to 3-1 so if it was any of the last 3 goals then fair enough. I thought his general play during the early parts of the match were decent enough.

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-08-2019, 07:15 PM

Agree 100%

What I saw today was a man who hasn't got a clue, especially about the SPL.

Dashing Bob S
11-08-2019, 07:16 PM
On the evidence of this season so far, Heckingbottom's Hibs seem, in terms of desire, tactics, organization and the skill of the personnel, miles behind the teams of Lennon and Stubbs. It's early days yet but I fear that the club has made a massive step backwards. Yes, Rangers have pulled well ahead of the Edinburgh-duo-and-Aberdeen pack with their growing financial muscle, but you expect us to compete more strongly against what is still modest opposition.

As usual though, we will be judged by how we perform in relation to the next tier clubs of Aberdeen and Hearts, neither of whom have looked particularly impressive either. I think he'll need to improve and those signings of his will need to start showing something or he could be off by Christmas.

DetroitHibs
11-08-2019, 07:16 PM
Can’t think of one signing he’s made that has improved us. Allan was signed before he came in.

SquashedFrogg
11-08-2019, 07:18 PM
Yup. Folk have been pretending since day 1.

Won’t be long until he’s gone.

And then you'll be happy I guess? I really can't fathom why you wouldn't support a Hibs manager. Did Lennon mean that much to you?

Speedway
11-08-2019, 07:19 PM
And then you'll be happy I guess? I really can't fathom why you wouldn't support a Hibs manager. Did Lennon mean that much to you?

Lennon is deeply flawed but his fight and drive are sorely missed.

truehibernian
11-08-2019, 07:19 PM

First goal the defence stand off Ojo and then ball watch (nothing to do with Whittaker), second goal Mallan offers little /zero challenge to Jones and Daz gets caught wrong side due to the good pass...........third goal comes all down our left, fourth and fifth Morelos is given the freedom of Ibrox centrally and the sixth it lands fortuitously at the feet of the Rangers player. Not one goal was Steven Whittaker's fault Ozy. It was a collective cluster **** of defending (lack of) and ball watching with no press in other areas of the pitch.

Hibernia&Alba
11-08-2019, 07:20 PM
Can’t think of one signing he’s made that has improved us. Allan was signed before he came in.

I think this is very fair comment so far. Hecky's signings just haven't done anything yet, and we need to see big improvements from them.

Jim44
11-08-2019, 07:21 PM
We can forget about the top two but what teams would you confidently say are going to finish ahead of us in 3rd and 4th?

Aberdeen just got beaten by St Mirren today, Hearts were dreadful yesterday against Ross County and were lucky to get a draw and Kilmarnock were beaten by Hamilton.

I believe that two out of these three sides would need to finish above us to push us out of the top four as I can't see any other side doing it. I don't see anything special from any of these sides to make me say that we have little to no chance of top four. Aberdeen may improve once they're knocked out of Europe and they don't need to keep playing twice a week but other than that, I can't see any other side being so much better than us.

Not having a go but who do you reckon will pip us for 3rd or 4th? Aberdeen were shocking today apparently and Hearts look bottom 6 material. I think 3rd is a possibility as we're all as poor as each other

I think Aberdeen are stick on certainties for 3rd, as they’ve got a tried and tested formula and will get over their bad result today. I’ll concede that we could scrape 4th. if PH can overcome today’s nightmare but he has footballing problems and also a growing antagonistic fanbase to deal with. It wouldn’t surprise me if a team like St Mirren, Ross County or even the Jambos do a ‘Killie’, so how we perform against them ( yes, we lucked out against St Mirren )could determine our fate.

Partyraiser
11-08-2019, 07:21 PM
Far too early for this kind of chat. Today was embarrassing but we were down a few key players resulting in us having to play a kid and an ageing whitaker at full back, and went down to 10 men early on. Prior to the sending off I thought we were starting to get a foothold on the game and their fans were starting to get restless. Let's reassess the situation after the first round of fixtures

WhileTheChief..
11-08-2019, 07:22 PM

Eh?

I’d much rather have Lennon than Heckingbottom if that’s what you’re asking?

I’ll be happy when we’ve got a decent manager again, same as most Hibs fans I’d guess.

Lennon means nothing to me now. He was my favourite Hibs manager though.

hibee-boys
11-08-2019, 07:24 PM
Deary me, it really is silly season on here today. Judging a manager on the back of one performance away from home against the old firm is nonsense. Granted we were struggling with 11 men but the game was over when Mackie got sent off. What was he thinking sticking his arm out when he's on a yellow. Hopefully Stevenson is back soon because that lad is a liability when trying to defend.

truehibernian
11-08-2019, 07:32 PM
Deary me, it really is silly season on here today. Judging a manager on the back of one performance away from home against the old firm is nonsense. Granted we were struggling with 11 men but the game was over when Mackie got sent off. What was he thinking sticking his arm out when he's on a yellow. Hopefully Stevenson is back soon because that lad is a liability when trying to defend.

If anything, this pre-season and games that followed prove how valuable a player wee Lewy is to Hibs - no one that comes in has the same ability or desire.

Northernhibee
11-08-2019, 07:33 PM
It’s never too early to ask the question

If there’s an obvious answer then I’m sure the results will show us but I’m interested to see where we are at the minute.

I’ll post again in 5/6/11 games and we can compare
Congratulations, you’ve turned this place into Kickback.

Pilrig_Sauzee
11-08-2019, 07:46 PM
Although I think he should be given another couple of months to demonstrate he is taking the club somewhere positive, shipping 6 is completely unacceptable. It was gutless and embarrassing. To me, he talks intelligently about the game, but the team on the pitch is not the team he describes. I don't see a style of play, with the exception of starting slowly most games. I don't buy the he must win very game or he's gone, because this is Hibs, that won't happen, but we have to pick up most of the points against bottom 6 and show more aggression against the rest. Christ I am dreading going into work tomorrow.

Leith Green
11-08-2019, 07:56 PM
Congratulations, you’ve turned this place into Kickback.

Going by the opinion of a number of fans , its hardly a ridiculous question to ask.

DetroitHibs
11-08-2019, 08:03 PM

I based my vote on the way we have performed in the cup and last weekend too. Yes we have won most of them, I just don’t see Heckingbottom having us challenging at the top half of the table this season.

#2 Double Tap
11-08-2019, 08:08 PM
Far too early for this kind of chat. Today was embarrassing but we were down a few key players resulting in us having to play a kid and an ageing whitaker at full back, and went down to 10 men early on. Prior to the sending off I thought we were starting to get a foothold on the game and their fans were starting to get restless. Let's reassess the situation after the first round of fixtures

that mainly being because once again we do not have 2 good players for every position, something we have been told 2 times now, from the manager, that we have.

so we can come to the same conclusions, but have a squad that is completely void of confidence.

The only way to judge anyone is when they are playing better opposition, you only know you have a good one when they perform at those venues/times.

jacomo
11-08-2019, 08:08 PM

Today’s result was awful, but fans getting hysterical definitely won’t help matters.

May21/05/16
11-08-2019, 08:10 PM
It was a horrible result today but come on getting rid of the manager after 2 games no for me I still think we have a decent squad and will challenge for third spot and the manager needs till the January if were struggling then I'm sure the board will consider there options as they have been good at appointing the managers si far

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

my left peg
11-08-2019, 08:22 PM
A horrible result,and one we are not used to,he will be given the rest of the season,unless things regress more than we are expecting to ,but Dempster, Craig and Mathie will surely come under scrutiny as well,especially with Ron in charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scm70nyd1973
11-08-2019, 08:27 PM

Yes or no.

Yes the noo but could be a no if PH can’t get the new players to remove what could be a collective arrogance (just my perception) about Scottish football being a million miles behind that same game played in the lower leagues of Englandshire.

My biggest concern is that we will always have to put up with methodical, pedestrian and above all boring football. My other one is that he always seems to be changing his tactics during a game to make things better (that in itself is a good thing if it works positively) but why can’t get he get his own good tactics going from the outset.

Who knows what this season will bring but I still think that the players he has signed have some thinking to do 🤞

He will probably do okay but I am not thinking it is going to be enthralling - mibbies a bit like the first few years under Lexo but after a while his teams at times were pretty decent to watch (Crunchie,Wright,Jackson, O’Neill et al)

ekhibee
11-08-2019, 08:33 PM

Probably cos we didn't bring in a whole load of lower league English players any other season. And by the way we did just fine without them too.

superfurryhibby
11-08-2019, 08:34 PM
Time to put on a nappy, the bed’s soaking.

No one’s happy, but let’s can the hysteria.

Partyraiser
11-08-2019, 08:34 PM
that mainly being because once again we do not have 2 good players for every position, something we have been told 2 times now, from the manager, that we have.

so we can come to the same conclusions, but have a squad that is completely void of confidence.

The only way to judge anyone is when they are playing better opposition, you only know you have a good one when they perform at those venues/times.

We do have 2 good options at right back, unfortunately they're both injured. Every time we bring in "cover" for Lewis they play about 2 games and are released, generally proving to be a complete waste of money. Mackie is decent cover for Stevenson, he had a bad day at the office and will learn from today. This afternoon was awful but I maintain that this poll isnt yet called for and isn't helpful

ekhibee
11-08-2019, 08:49 PM
He needs more time but his card is now well and truly marked.

The big problem for me is that if/when he does leave then we're still left with his signings all of whom look far from convincing. .

I actually commented on this on another thread a couple of weeks ago. He's presumably used up most of the player budget so far judging by his comment re. bringing anybody else in, and if things go tits up we're left with all these no marks on 2 and 3 year contracts. Let's hope we improve!

gazzag70
11-08-2019, 09:00 PM
If we had any sense we would do what Leeds United done and empty this clown before he does any further damage.His tactics and signings have been a disaster, he has completely underestimated the Scottish game. He will drag us back into the dark places we hoped to have put behind us!

Coco Bryce
11-08-2019, 09:03 PM
I actually commented on this on another thread a couple of weeks ago. He's presumably used up most of the player budget so far judging by his comment re. bringing anybody else in, and if things go tits up we're left with all these no marks on 2 and 3 year contracts. Let's hope we improve!

That's a frightening thought actually.

truehibernian
11-08-2019, 09:08 PM
We do have 2 good options at right back, unfortunately they're both injured. Every time we bring in "cover" for Lewis they play about 2 games and are released, generally proving to be a complete waste of money. Mackie is decent cover for Stevenson, he had a bad day at the office and will learn from today. This afternoon was awful but I maintain that this poll isnt yet called for and isn't helpful

I agree, however can we have a poll about whether any of the new signings are quality additions ?

None are for me - Newell is dreadful, Doidge not much better, Vela looks lost and distinctly average, and Maxwell is overweight and looks horrendous at set pieces (but a decent shot stopper) and won't shift Rocky unless he get's injured. James is the only one who looks remotely like a footballer. Jackson is what he said he is - no nonsense. For the money we have spent, a very very poor return on showings so far. We've definitely not added any quality to the squad and we look bottom 6 or worse. The recruitment team need to spend less time making lovely videos and more time going out on the ground and unearthing good, young, energetic talent.

This Hibs side will get a do-in from many of our rivals - no urgency, pace, or desire to press and take games by the scruff of the neck. I (personally) feel duped into thinking PH wants to play high energy football. I've seen zero of that so far. It's slow and laboured and I've not seen us start games with any degree of urgency. Anyone who thinks Joe Newell is a footballer (for example) needs their head examined. Matt Done offered more :worried:

All I see so far is a long, unimpressive, uninspiring season ahead. Heckingbottom appears (also) to be scared to take on the bigger sides - way too much respect for opposition being shown.

Liam89
11-08-2019, 09:11 PM
I feel like I'm going mad. We're ****ing 2 games into the season. Give the team some time ffs.

Hermit Crab
11-08-2019, 09:14 PM
Allan was injured and it was kamberi who came on for him

When the most obvious player to bring on was Slivka. Absolutely mind boggling substitution. :crazy:

Hermit Crab
11-08-2019, 09:17 PM
It was a horrible result today but come on getting rid of the manager after 2 games no for me I still think we have a decent squad and will challenge for third spot and the manager needs till the January if were struggling then I'm sure the board will consider there options as they have been good at appointing the managers si far

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Its not 2 games though is it. We were pish back end of last season blowing 4th place and pish in the LC games too.

Liam89
11-08-2019, 09:17 PM
I think Aberdeen are stick on certainties for 3rd, as they’ve got a tried and tested formula and will get over their bad result today. I’ll concede that we could scrape 4th. if PH can overcome today’s nightmare but he has footballing problems and also a growing antagonistic fanbase to deal with. It wouldn’t surprise me if a team like St Mirren, Ross County or even the Jambos do a ‘Killie’, so how we perform against them ( yes, we lucked out against St Mirren )could determine our fate.

'bad result today' - 1-0 vs languishing St Mirren (who we beat last week)

'today's nightmare' - pumped by a strong Rangers team at ibrox (2-1 with 11 men)

I don't get why Aberdeen will obviously recover and come third whilst we continue to struggle?

The knee jerk reactions on here tonight are truly baffling.

Hermit Crab
11-08-2019, 09:18 PM

'today's nightmare' - pumped by a strong Rangers team at ibrox (2-1 with 11 men)

I don't get why Aberdeen will obviously recover and come third whilst we continue to struggle?

Because the have better players who fight for the jersey and have a better manager. Thats just for starters.

Hiber-nation
11-08-2019, 09:20 PM

I admire your optimism but I see no prospect of improvement given the quality of the manager's signings and his uninspiring style of play.

Liam89
11-08-2019, 09:24 PM
Because the have better players who fight for the jersey and have a better manager. Thats just for starters.

I admire your optimism but I see no prospect of improvement given the quality of the manager's signings and his uninspiring style of play.

Doesn't it get tiring being this negative?

This storm of pessimism is unfortunately going to do **** all to help the team. Some of these new signings have had about 30 seconds to gel and start producing before being classed as dross... We're through in the league cup group and we've beaten St Mirren, it's not the time to be creating threads like this and to be piling pressure on the team yet.

jeffers
11-08-2019, 09:28 PM

This storm of pessimism is unfortunately going to do **** all to help the team. Some of these new signings have had about 30 seconds to gel and start producing before being classed as dross... We're through in the league cup group and we've beaten St Mirren, it's not the time to be creating threads like this and to be piling pressure on the team yet.

I applaud your optimism but what have you seen from our new signings to encourage you ?

Golden Bear
11-08-2019, 09:30 PM
Stupid *loody question. No further comment.

Jim44
11-08-2019, 09:36 PM

No knee-jerking with me, mate. Feet firmly planked on the ground and standing firmly by my opinion. I find your interpretation as baffling as you find mine. Opinions. :rolleyes:

Jim44
11-08-2019, 09:41 PM

I think you overestimate the effect that the ramblings of a fan’s forum like ours has on the players, if it has any at all.

Liam89
11-08-2019, 09:45 PM
I think you overestimate the effect that the ramblings of a fan’s forum like ours has on the players, if it has any at all.

I think you underestimate it.

Captain Trips
11-08-2019, 09:49 PM
Not if he is going to ***** it everytime we play The Rangers or Celtic. S H A T it today and I'm not happy with that.

Squirrel 1875
11-08-2019, 09:54 PM
There is nothing knee jerk about many of the reactions tonight. I saw a post on Twitter today, which is the point I’ve been making to some friends:

When have you left a hibs game under Heckingbottom and thought “wow, we were excellent today”. I honestly can’t think of one.

B.H.F.C
11-08-2019, 09:54 PM
Heckingbottom let us down today but so did the players, in a big way.

I’m not inspired by him at all, but I think we are lacking leadership on the pitch. I think the core of senior players who served us really well have possibly run their race. I suppose you could argue that he should have addressed that over the summer.

Carheenlea
11-08-2019, 10:01 PM
Got the impression from as soon as he was appointed that he would always be just a couple of bad defeats in a row away from having his future as Hibs manager called into question. He was never going to get the same grace through sticky spells as Lennon or Stubbs before him.
It puts a lot of pressure on Heckingbottom to win certain games to avoid a fans backlash, such as next weeks Cup tie, which should really be a formality, and the next league game against St Johnstone. Not a great environment to work in, but the next couple of weeks will give him a chance to get a couple of wins and progress in the League Cup to lift the spirits, but the next bad result will put him back to where we are tonight, which is really not sustainable long term.

Liam89
11-08-2019, 10:04 PM
Got the impression from as soon as he was appointed that he would always be just a couple of bad defeats in a row away from having his future as Hibs manager called into question. He was never going to get the same grace through sticky spells as Lennon or Stubbs before him.
It puts a lot of pressure on Heckingbottom to win certain games to avoid a fans backlash, such as next weeks Cup tie, which should really be a formality, and the next league game against St Johnstone. Not a great environment to work in, but the next couple of weeks will give him a chance to get a couple of wins and progress in the League Cup to lift the spirits, but the next bad result will put him back to where we are tonight, which is really not sustainable long term.

Exactly. Well summarised!

Diclonius
11-08-2019, 10:06 PM
He needs more time. 6-1 is bad but two league games is not enough to judge him or his signings.

Coco Bryce
11-08-2019, 10:06 PM

Today's result would never had happened under Lennon or Stubbs for that matter. He's not got a clue what he's doing.

Sir David Gray
11-08-2019, 10:09 PM

If that's the case (and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your assessment) then there should be a mutual parting of the ways over the coming days.

A situation like that is only going to end up one way.

CRAZYHIBBY
11-08-2019, 10:10 PM
Weeks ago i said he'd be gone after 15 games

RossScott1991
11-08-2019, 10:12 PM
I can’t even bring myself to vote. I don’t actually know. I am not a fan in chopping/changing the manager all the time, however the alarm bells are ringing. None of his signings are making any sort of positive impact soo far, and the style of play is very slow and dull to watch.

I just think 2 games into a season is too soon to get rid of someone, however I feel we need two very good exciting performances and goals to perk up the support in our next two games vs Morton/st Johnstone.

The tide is turning on Hecky and feel he is a couple of really awful pefformances and results away from real pressure

Liam89
11-08-2019, 10:14 PM
Today's result would never had happened under Lennon or Stubbs for that matter. He's not got a clue what he's doing.

We lost 6-2 to rangers under Stubbs. This rangers side is 10x better than previous post admin sides.

Coco Bryce
11-08-2019, 10:15 PM
We lost 6-2 to rangers under Stubbs. This rangers side is 10x better than previous post admin sides.

Aye so we did. Apologies. Scoreline flattered them if I remember? We played really well that day though.

Squirrel 1875
11-08-2019, 10:49 PM
He needs more time. 6-1 is bad but two league games is not enough to judge him or his signings.

Tell me, what game under his charge have you walked away from and thought “we were great today”.

Swedish hibee
11-08-2019, 10:54 PM
Yes.

The 90+2
11-08-2019, 10:59 PM

Pre-season diddy Cup. Big Daz was even on the huns bench.

Viva_Palmeiras
11-08-2019, 11:32 PM

Has this question been answered - if the point raised stands is this poll a farce?

My_Wife_Camille
11-08-2019, 11:34 PM
Has this question been answered - if the point raised stands is this poll a farce?
No it’s not been changed.

tonyrougier123
12-08-2019, 01:18 AM
I canny forgive 6-1 at ibrox as easily as some.

If these results become the normal in glasgow,the life and soul will be slowly sucked out the club until its a struggle to turn up again.it's already heading in that direction for me.

Boyles injury was unfortunate, but for a player who was to be a main focal point in the team to have no discernible backup option incase of injury/tactical changes,is unforgivable on the clubs part in my opinion.
And that blame lies with the people above heckingbottom not doing enough for us in the transfer market.

Money needs invested in the team not on bloody indoor pitches at east mains.

There is players who could make a difference.but its the usual story season tickets are bought and strips sold in record numbers.so no need to chase sporting ambition.
We only do that when we get relegated!!!

Ooo to be a hibby! 😕

we are hibs
12-08-2019, 06:07 AM
5 games against the old firm. 2 goal scored.

We have sat off them in every single meeting. Thats why he wont last. Hibs fans dont expect us to beat them but they expect us to make sure they know theyve been in a game. We will be both sides easiest games of the season the way we are set up against them.

Diclonius
12-08-2019, 07:55 AM
Tell me, what game under his charge have you walked away from and thought “we were great today”.

That's (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47248471) a (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47301043) tough (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47505563) one. (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47756961)

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 07:57 AM
Can’t vote on my phone but for now it’s definitely a yes.

Barman Stanton
12-08-2019, 08:02 AM
Shocking result, but too early to punt him.

Curried
12-08-2019, 08:14 AM
One win out of the last 7 league games under Heck!

Hermit Crab
12-08-2019, 08:19 AM

Whats this two league games rubbish? Are we forgetting about the end of last season and how we blew 4th place?

Hermit Crab
12-08-2019, 08:19 AM

None!

hibee_girl
12-08-2019, 08:20 AM
Whats this two league games rubbish? Are we forgetting about the end of last season and how we blew 4th place?

Are we also forgetting where we were when he came in and how it’s a miracle we even made the top 6 last season?

B.H.F.C
12-08-2019, 08:24 AM
Are we also forgetting where we were when he came in and how it’s a miracle we even made the top 6 last season?

I wouldn’t go as far as saying it was a miracle.

We had under performing players who he got performing to a better level, beating the teams who were below us in the league. Two good results away to St Johnstone and Hearts, pretty average otherwise.

Hermit Crab
12-08-2019, 08:24 AM

A miracle is a one time thing and thats been proven here. IMO he has underestimated the Scottish game with his piss poor signings.

hibee_girl
12-08-2019, 08:25 AM
I wouldn’t go as far as saying it was a miracle.

We had under performing players who he got performing to a better level, beating the teams who were below us in the league. Two good results away to St Johnstone and Hearts, pretty average otherwise.

I wouldn’t say 10 games unbeaten is pretty average

bigwheel
12-08-2019, 08:29 AM

Not winning any games after the split, was way below average ....it dimmed that run significantly

HFC93
12-08-2019, 08:45 AM

Blowing 4th place from a starting point of 8th place in February. That's incredible spin. How many points were we behind 4th when he arrived? Must have been considerable.

Hermit Crab
12-08-2019, 08:58 AM
eNot winning any games after the split, was way below average ....it dimmed that run significantly

Blowing 4th place from a starting point of 8th place in February. That's incredible spin. How many points were we behind 4th when he arrived? Must have been considerable.

See the post above.

Viva_Palmeiras
12-08-2019, 08:59 AM

The Ying & Yang perspectives of Hibeedom...

B.H.F.C
12-08-2019, 09:00 AM

What about one win in his last seven though?

Since452
12-08-2019, 09:02 AM
I've noticed a trend. Whenever JKB are infighting and having polls on managers we follow suit. It's quite sad actually. A poll after getting pumped with 10 men by a far superior team? Wow. Lets have another poll after the Morton and St Johnstone games.

Squirrel 1875
12-08-2019, 09:04 AM
That's (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47248471) a (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47301043) tough (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47505563) one. (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47756961)

And you actually think we played well in those? The Tynecastle game was particularly lucky. If it wasn’t for Marciano and their strikers missing a barrel load of chances before we scored that could have been a hammering.

wookie70
12-08-2019, 09:06 AM
Heck has only been in charge for 15 league games. He has won 7 of those and lost 4, one to Aberdeen at home, The Rangers twice away and Killie away. Celtc knocked us out of the Scottish Cup and we are unbeaten and progressed as a seed at the top of our league in his other cup competition. Heck is averaging 1 2/3 points a game and if that was maintained over the course of a season that is 63 points which is usually good enough for 3rd or 4th place. For reference the all conquering Lennon who some see as a messiah managed 67 points in what some describe as a record breaking season. Lennon gained 12 points from his last 15 league games against Hecks 25 in his first 15.

Just as you have to look at where Stubbs started you have to look at where Heck started. The team was a basket case evidenced by how it had performed in the months previous to his arrival. It's often said football is a results based business and yesterdays was a shocker. But you shouldn't determine if a manager is employable from a single result particularly when he had 3 fullbacks injured and another sent off at the home of the second biggest team in the league. I can't say I have been that impressed with his signings but it is early and they deserve the chance to settle and hopefully kick on.

Heck seems to have adopted every Lennon lover as a hater and he may be the manager that is poisoned by Lennon's departure. Hopefully, he can win over those that seem to want him out despite him doing a decent job that far surpasses the one his predecessor was doing when he "left"

Since452
12-08-2019, 09:12 AM
And you actually think we played well in those? The Tynecastle game was particularly lucky. If it wasn’t for Marciano and their strikers missing a barrel load of chances before we scored that could have been a hammering.

The last game we drew with them at ER should have finished around 5/6-0 to Hibs. All about taking your chances when they come.

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 09:12 AM
Heck has only been in charge for 15 league games. He has won 7 of those and lost 4, one to Aberdeen at home, The Rangers twice away and Killie away. Celtc knocked us out of the Scottish Cup and we are unbeaten and progressed as a seed at the top of our league in his other cup competition. Heck is averaging 1 2/3 points a game and if that was maintained over the course of a season that is 63 points which is usually good enough for 3rd or 4th place. For reference the all conquering Lennon who some see as a messiah managed 67 points in what some describe as a record breaking season. Lennon gained 12 points from his last 15 league games against Hecks 25 in his first 15.

Just as you have to look at where Stubbs started you have to look at where Heck started. The team was a basket case evidenced by how it had performed in the months previous to his arrival. It's often said football is a results based business and yesterdays was a shocker. But you shouldn't determine if a manager is employable from a single result particularly when he had 3 fullbacks injured and another sent off at the home of the second biggest team in the league. I can't say I have been that impressed with his signings but it is early and they deserve the chance to settle and hopefully kick on.

Heck seems to have adopted every Lennon lover as a hater and he may be the manager that is poisoned by Lennon's departure. Hopefully, he can win over those that seem to want him out despite him doing a decent job that far surpasses the one his predecessor was doing when he "left"

Great post. PH doesn’t excite me massively, but he’s done a decent job so far. Yesterday was a disaster. I’ll be more concerned if we have more of them than I am at what is currently a one off.

bigwheel
12-08-2019, 09:15 AM

If he keeps up that run rate there won’t be an issue - people are not seeing signs this season that we will be near that level of points return ....it’s nothing to do with Lennon v Heckie..if he was winning games or we were performing well ..the tone on here would be quite different

Hibeesmad
12-08-2019, 09:17 AM

Style of football compared to Stubbs and Lennon’s tenure hasn’t been fantastic to watch so far, I think that is one of the main reasons he’s getting so much slack

Gatecrasher
12-08-2019, 09:18 AM
Great post. PH doesn’t excite me massively, but he’s done a decent job so far. Yesterday was a disaster. I’ll be more concerned if we have more of them than I am at what is currently a one off.

It's not a one off though is it? Every game against the OF with PH in charge we've been lucky not to get a hiding. Yesterday was only a matter of time.

One Day Soon
12-08-2019, 09:21 AM

Perhaps if some of the Lennon haters hadn't been quite so extreme and unhinged in their quite personal attacks on him at the time (and in some cases throughout his period as our manager) then the rebound effect wouldn't be quite so severe as it is for Heckingbottom.

He's not yet definitively proven that he's the wrong man for the job but he's certainly well on the way. He's taken what many regarded as a decent but under performing squad in Lennon's time, reshaped it with his own signings and - so far - come up with a pretty uninspiring style of play that seems to lack the energy and pace for the fabled high press, lacks the variety in the squad to be able to switch things up, retains a powder puff midfield and is weak in attacking options.

It is unreasonable to expect to take points every time we go to Ibrox, but we should certainly be expecting to make a fight of it and to set out our stall to do so. To lose 6-1 in that abject manner, regardless of the sending off, speaks to a lack of both system and organisation on the one hand and - more worryingly - a lack of spirit or character on the other.

The manager gives the lead and sets the tone. Our tone feels like managed decline and lowered expectations right now.

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 09:22 AM
It's not a one off though is it? Every game against the OF with PH in charge we've been lucky not to get a hiding. Yesterday was only a matter of time.

It is a one off. It’s only happened once.

We’ve drawn twice against the old firm and lost 4 I think? Not a great record by any stretch but it’s the first time we’ve taking a spanking off any of them. Having a poor record against the OF who financially dwarf us but a pretty good one against everyone else would be a ridiculous reason to bin a manager.

Rangers whole bench yesterday would all be one of if not our best players. That’s the difference we’re talking about here.

bigswissstriker
12-08-2019, 09:25 AM
Yet to see us perform against a decent side under hecky. Too many limp performances in big games.

He’s got a lot of work to do

WhileTheChief..
12-08-2019, 09:29 AM
Why do you guys like him so much?? I’m not being smart but what is it?

I get that you want to give the manager support but do you ever get to the point that you want a change?

There’s no emotional connection or anything and he’s only been here 5 minutes.

Seems like blind loyalty, he’s Hibs manager therefore I’ve got to like him?

I just don’t think he’s got it. There’s nothing about him that makes me think he can make a success of it.

And that’s nowt to do with Lennon!!

James Stephen
12-08-2019, 09:30 AM
If he keeps up that run rate there won’t be an issue - people are not seeing signs this season that we will be near that level of points return ....it’s nothing to do with Lennon v Heckie..if he was winning games or we were performing well ..the tone on here would be quite different

Hibs have played 6 games this season (?), winning 4, drawing 1 and losing 1.

Apols, top of my head stats, but you get my gist.

James Stephen
12-08-2019, 09:31 AM
Style of football compared to Stubbs and Lennon’s tenure hasn’t been fantastic to watch so far, I think that is one of the main reasons he’s getting so much slack

Lennon's team played brilliant football for a few months out of his two and a half years with us.

Gatecrasher
12-08-2019, 09:34 AM
It is a one off. It’s only happened once.

We’ve drawn twice against the old firm and lost 4 I think? Not a great record by any stretch but it’s the first time we’ve taking a spanking off any of them. Having a poor record against the OF who financially dwarf us but a pretty good one against everyone else would be a ridiculous reason to bin a manager.

Rangers whole bench yesterday would all be one of if not our best players. That’s the difference we’re talking about here.

Just because he got away with it previously doesn't mean it didn't happen, all that says to me is that he doesn't know how to approach these games and can't adapt to the game up here. He is out of his depth.

On your last point just because they have a better team doesn't mean we can't give them a game, every hibs manager has had to deal with that scenario. Some sink, some swim. PH has a concrete block tied to his feet.

Hibeesmad
12-08-2019, 09:36 AM
Lennon's team played brilliant football for a few months out of his two and a half years with us.

Thought we were fantastic the whole season 17/18

Mantis Toboggan
12-08-2019, 09:36 AM

I get that you want to give the manager support but do you ever get to the point that you want a change?

I just don’t think he’s got it. There’s nothing about him that makes me think he can make a success of it.

We are two league games into the season, it is hardly blind loyalty. It's giving the guy enough of a chance to see what he can do with his players.

James Stephen
12-08-2019, 09:40 AM

I see a manager who turned around a listing team and rescued an otherwise dreadful season.

That's pretty much it, hardly the 2nd coming of Fergie, but equally hardly a sackable offence either.

Not every Hibs team will be brilliant, and i hate to break it to people but very few Hibs teams are. Hibs are doing ok at the moment, not brilliant, but a long way from terrible. His team has generally beaten the teams we are better than and lost to those we are worse than- so par score.

Whether he turns us into something memorable, mediocre or terrible remains to be seen, but I think the hysterical reactions of some hint at a support (or some supporters) that has lost touch with reality a wee bit.

And no, I'm not anti sacking of managers, I wanted Lenny sacked, I wanted Butcher sacked before we went into playoffs, I wanted Mixu sacked and I may even have sacked Stubbs had history gone just a wee bit differently.

But to say Hecky, after a short period in charge, with a good record overall, after one admittedly horrendous result, should be sacked is mental imo. He has to date as many indicators that he will be successful as he has that he will be a dud.

H18S NX
12-08-2019, 09:41 AM
I would not be sorry to see him go.

James Stephen
12-08-2019, 09:43 AM
Thought we were fantastic the whole season 17/18

Fair enough, but we were sitting mid table for the first half of that season, having been functional but uninspiring in gaining promotion the year before.

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 09:44 AM
Just because he got away with it previously doesn't mean it didn't happen, all that says to me is that he doesn't know how to approach these games and can't adapt to the game up here. He is out of his depth.

On your last point just because they have a better team doesn't mean we can't give them a game, every hibs manager has had to deal with that scenario. Some sink, some swim. PH has a concrete block tied to his feet.

It does mean it didn’t happen though, because we didn’t get skelped. Are we now just ignoring actual results and placing more importance on who has most shots on target etc? If that’s the case then these games where we’ve been all over teams in recent years and been sucker punched have been exceptional.

We can give them a game and should be looking to give them a game. And we will give them a game again. But when they turn up and play exceptionally well, as near enough everyone other than some Hibs fans have acknowledged that they did then you’ll struggle to do that. Especially when you’re down to 10 men and playing your 4th and 5th choice full backs. As would Aberdeen (who have struggled to give them a game plenty times recently) or whoever else in our league outwith Celtic.

You can’t give a team with a budget 10 times yours with 5 or 6 players on their bench who would be your best player a game every single time.

Barman Stanton
12-08-2019, 09:47 AM

I don't think its a case of anyone 'liking him so much'. Its more a case of wanting to give a new manager and half a new team a bit of time.

But the minute we had a bad result, the outrage was always going to be severe on here. Some Hibs fans just don't like the guy for whatever reason. The result was an absolute shocker I admit. But some of the stuff on here, just 2 games into the season is well over the top.

Hibeesmad
12-08-2019, 09:51 AM
Fair enough, but we were sitting mid table for the first half of that season, having been functional but uninspiring in gaining promotion the year before.

I think many teams under estimated us in our first season back in the premiership, they didn’t really park the bus as such which allowed us to play free flowing attacking football, unlike the championship where every game was playing against a brick wall

Giveusagoal!
12-08-2019, 09:53 AM
Yes. But if we don't make the top six it's cheerio.
Worrying that you'd be willing to wait that long. Give yersel a shake

James Stephen
12-08-2019, 09:55 AM
I think many teams under estimated us in our first season back in the premiership, they didn’t really park the bus as such which allowed us to play free flowing attacking football, unlike the championship where every game was playing against a brick wall

I remember us drawing loads and losing to Hamilton and St J at home.

supermcginn
12-08-2019, 09:59 AM
Most likely outcome is a 6th or 7th finish and his style of play boring us all to death before getting the bullet next summer.

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 10:00 AM
Most likely outcome is a 6th or 7th finish and his style of play boring us all to death before getting the bullet next summer.

Who do you see being above us?

I think we’ll finish top 5. Celtic, rangers and Aberdeen I reckon are certs for top three.

Other than that I don’t see anyone that’s definitely better than us. We’ll definitely be above St Mirren, Hamilton, St J, Ross County and Livi imo, so that leaves us battling it out with Motherwell, Hearts and Killie. Hearts look dreadful and their fans probably see no way of finishing top 4, Killies are probably the same and after the start they’ve had I doubt Motherwell will either.

We won’t necessarily be top half due to being great but we’ve got a very good chance of 4th imo.

JimBHibees
12-08-2019, 10:01 AM
I see a manager who turned around a listing team and rescued an otherwise dreadful season.

That's pretty much it, hardly the 2nd coming of Fergie, but equally hardly a sackable offence either.

Not every Hibs team will be brilliant, and i hate to break it to people but very few Hibs teams are. Hibs are doing ok at the moment, not brilliant, but a long way from terrible. His team has generally beaten the teams we are better than and lost to those we are worse than- so par score.

Whether he turns us into something memorable, mediocre or terrible remains to be seen, but I think the hysterical reactions of some hint at a support (or some supporters) that has lost touch with reality a wee bit.

And no, I'm not anti sacking of managers, I wanted Lenny sacked, I wanted Butcher sacked before we went into playoffs, I wanted Mixu sacked and I may even have sacked Stubbs had history gone just a wee bit differently.

But to say Hecky, after a short period in charge, with a good record overall, after one admittedly horrendous result, should be sacked is mental imo. He has to date as many indicators that he will be successful as he has that he will be a dud.

Agree with this however the performances in the next few games will pretty much determine what happens. Desperately need one or two quality players (by quality I mean definite starters not squad players) in pronto IMO.

Hibeesmad
12-08-2019, 10:02 AM
I remember us drawing loads and losing to Hamilton and St J at home.

Yeah that’s very true, first half of the season was very mixed but the win at Ibrox, win against Hearts at ER and 2 draws to Celtic kind of covered things up. Then we just kicked off from Christmas, between 23rd December and the end of the season we only had 2 league defeats.

bigwheel
12-08-2019, 10:03 AM
Hibs have played 6 games this season (?), winning 4, drawing 1 and losing 1.

Apols, top of my head stats, but you get my gist.

Fair enough - do the performance levels so far , make you think we will keep that run rate up against premiership teams ?

bingo70
12-08-2019, 10:11 AM

I think we’ll finish top 5. Celtic, rangers and Aberdeen I reckon are certs for top three.

Other than that I don’t see anyone that’s definitely better than us. We’ll definitely be above St Mirren, Hamilton, St J, Ross County and Livi imo, so that leaves us battling it out with Motherwell, Hearts and Killie. Hearts look dreadful and their fans probably see no way of finishing top 4, Killies are probably the same and after the start they’ve had I doubt Motherwell will either.

We won’t necessarily be top half due to being great but we’ve got a very good chance of 4th imo.

I think Motherwell will finish 4th this season and i don’t think Hearts have had as bad a window as is being made out, suspect they’ll finish above us as well. I think Ross County could have a good season if they carry on their momentum from last season and St Johnstone always seem to be there or there abouts when it comes to competing for the top 6.

I think we’re far too reliant on Scott Allan to create things, all is not lost as there’s still time in the transfer window, hopefully Middleton can help in that regard but we definitely still need more, if Heckingbottom is serious about no one else coming in then I think we’ll struggle with the teams I’ve mentioned.

James Stephen
12-08-2019, 10:11 AM
Agree with this however the performances in the next few games will pretty much determine what happens. Desperately need one or two quality players (by quality I mean definite starters not squad players) in pronto IMO.

Agreed! I would still like some more muscle in midfield personally.

Gatecrasher
12-08-2019, 10:14 AM
It does mean it didn’t happen though, because we didn’t get skelped. Are we now just ignoring actual results and placing more importance on who has most shots on target etc? If that’s the case then these games where we’ve been all over teams in recent years and been sucker punched have been exceptional.

We can give them a game and should be looking to give them a game. And we will give them a game again. But when they turn up and play exceptionally well, as near enough everyone other than some Hibs fans have acknowledged that they did then you’ll struggle to do that. Especially when you’re down to 10 men and playing your 4th and 5th choice full backs. As would Aberdeen (who have struggled to give them a game plenty times recently) or whoever else in our league outwith Celtic.

You can’t give a team with a budget 10 times yours with 5 or 6 players on their bench who would be your best player a game every single time.
The stats aren't just one sided though it's like we are lower league opposition, it's that bad. We haven't been giving them a game though, not since he took charge anyway, before that our record against the OF was the best in my time supporting the club. PH has turned that upside down is spectacular fashion, his football is pish, his signings are pish and that club is going back to the dark ages. You can turn a blind eye to it if you want but the warning signs were there. From last season. Can you tell me that you are happy with the direction we are going in?

James Stephen
12-08-2019, 10:16 AM
Yeah that’s very true, first half of the season was very mixed but the win at Ibrox, win against Hearts at ER and 2 draws to Celtic kind of covered things up. Then we just kicked off from Christmas, between 23rd December and the end of the season we only had 2 league defeats.

Yeah, we really kicked on with Maclaren, Flo and Allan.

Kinda highlights though how the magic formula is very elusive and hard to find (and even harder to keep).

Lenny took 18 months to find it, having thrown out his original plan at Christmas (stokes and Murray), with 2 complete unknowns working brilliantly, and it lasted for half a season before falling apart, for various reasons.

And we finished 4th, semis of league cup (horsed by Celtic) and put out of Scottish Cup by Hearts. Hardly our greatest season since the 70s as some would have you believe.

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 10:19 AM
I think Motherwell will finish 4th this season and i don’t think Hearts have had as bad a window as is being made out, suspect they’ll finish above us as well. I think Ross County could have a good season if they carry on their momentum from last season and St Johnstone always seem to be there or there abouts when it comes to competing for the top 6.

I think we’re far too reliant on Scott Allan to create things, all is not lost as there’s still time in the transfer window, hopefully Middleton can help in that regard but we definitely still need more, if Heckingbottom is serious about no one else coming in then I think we’ll struggle with the teams I’ve mentioned.

I think the danger with Hearts is that they get a new manager. With Levein at the helm they’re rotten (although some would say that would be the same with us).

St J look utterly honking so I don’t think we’ll have them to worry about.

I don’t necessarily disagree with some of your points, I think the fact there’s no standout top 6 like there has been the last couple of seasons will benefit us. 4th is up for grabs this season and no matter who gets it they’ll be a fairly average side imo.

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 10:21 AM
The stats aren't just one sided though it's like we are lower league opposition, it's that bad. We haven't been giving them a game though, not since he took charge anyway, before that our record against the OF was the best in my time supporting the club. PH has turned that upside down is spectacular fashion, his football is pish, his signings are pish and that club is going back to the dark ages. You can turn a blind eye to it if you want but the warning signs were there. From last season. Can you tell me that you are happy with the direction we are going in?

We’ve drew with them twice, nothing to write home about but surely if you get a point you’ve given them a game?

I’m not saying we’re great, I’m not even saying I’m delighted with the squad we’ve got or our style of play, but yesterday’s result was a freak and absolutely not a sackable offence imo. If we win the next two then I’d say on the whole we’ve had a good start to the season. And I think we will win them.

Hibernia&Alba
12-08-2019, 10:29 AM

Right now I find it difficult to make any kind of prediction with confidence. I just don't know what to think; it's a case of see what transpires. If our signings don't make more of a contribution, we will be in trouble. The performances in the league and the League Cup have ranged between mediocre and appalling. We need to improve rapidly.

bingo70
12-08-2019, 10:34 AM
We’ve drew with them twice, nothing to write home about but surely if you get a point you’ve given them a game?

I’m not saying we’re great, I’m not even saying I’m delighted with the squad we’ve got or our style of play, but yesterday’s result was a freak and absolutely not a sackable offence imo. If we win the next two then I’d say on the whole we’ve had a good start to the season. And I think we will win them.

I agree it’s not a sackable offence, not even close.

I’m not sure it can be considered a freak result though when many of us had predicted all week we were going to get absolutely pumped looking at the players he was likely to play in midfield. Imo it was obvious that it was coming, the fact he didn’t has to have alarm bells ringing surely?

Hibeesmad
12-08-2019, 10:34 AM
Give it to Eddie May till the end of the season.

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 10:35 AM
Right now I find it difficult to make any kind of prediction with confidence. I just don't know what to think; it's a case of see what transpires. If our signings don't make more of a contribution, we will be in trouble. The performances in the league and the League Cup have ranged between mediocre and appalling. We need to improve rapidly.

True, I’m probably letting optimism dictate my predictions to an extent. By the same token though I think a lot of people are letting pessimism dictate theirs.

If this was last season I’d think we would really toil for top 6. I don’t see the same level of teams in the league this season though - Killie look a shadow of last season and Hearts don’t have a great start propping them up artificially. We’re more than capable of finishing 4th with this squad and with or without PH at the helm imo.

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 10:37 AM
I agree it’s not a sackable offence, not even close.

I’m not sure it can be considered a freak result though when many of us had predicted all week we were going to get absolutely pumped looking at the players he was likely to play in midfield. Imo it was obvious that it was coming, the fact he didn’t has to have alarm bells ringing surely?

Maybe he did see it coming but the fact he only had 4th and 5th choice full backs available and the winger who will most likely start not signing until (presumably) today he just had to hope for the best?

I’d think by the next league game we’ll have at least 3 or 4 players coming into that starting line up who, fitness permitting, won’t be going back out of it in Middleton, Gray, Stevenson and Porteous. That could make a huge difference as they’re all significant improvements on the players who had their places yesterday.

Hibernia&Alba
12-08-2019, 10:40 AM
True, I’m probably letting optimism dictate my predictions to an extent. By the same token though I think a lot of people are letting pessimism dictate theirs.

If this was last season I’d think we would really toil for top 6. I don’t see the same level of teams in the league this season though - Killie look a shadow of last season and Hearts don’t have a great start propping them up artificially. We’re more than capable of finishing 4th with this squad and with or without PH at the helm imo.

We should always be looking to finish top four, and we might yet. As I say, we will just need to see what develops in the coming weeks; right now I can't make any predictions. It's essential we beat Morton with plenty to spare at the weekend, in order to restore some confidence. Then we must kick on.

wookie70
12-08-2019, 10:44 AM
The style of football in the Championship under Lennon was workmanlike at best and he took a swashbuckling squad over. I do agree that for the most part Heck's team hasn't been as easy on teh eye as I'd like but then I look at what he took over and the pressure he seems to be getting from supporters will make him more likely to be pragmatic.

bigwheel
12-08-2019, 10:47 AM
Give it to Eddie May till the end of the season.

Hi Eddie. How’s tricks ? [emoji2]

Hibernian Verse
12-08-2019, 10:48 AM
Hi Eddie. How’s tricks ? [emoji2]

The irony being he wouldn't want it. He was a rabbit in the headlights for his caretaker spell.

Northernhibee
12-08-2019, 11:12 AM

We shipped six under Stubbs to Rangers at Easter Road and we shipped four going on eight to Aberdeen at Pittodrie under Lennon. We also shipped three to Killie under Lennon despite the majority of players on the pitch being defenders.

All managers have a horrendous result here or there. We've also had some excellent results under Heckingbottom - 2-1 at Tynie, 2-1 when down 1-0 and down to ten men at St Johnstone we showed a ton of fight are two that leap to my mind immediately.

After a night to sleep on it, yesterday was horrendous and is a pivot point for Heckingbottom. We don't improve he's in trouble, we do improve then it will be forgotten about soon enough, much like how many on here have forgotten about some of the awful results under the last two managers too.

PeeJay
12-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Would be interesting to know what the new owner thinks. If it was me I'd have him out the door ASAP (and a majority of the players). No doubt he will be given a bit more time, but I fail to see how anyone can seriously think that this "team" will be doing anything other than struggling to make top 6 at best ...

James Stephen
12-08-2019, 11:14 AM
We shipped six under Stubbs to Rangers at Easter Road and we shipped four going on eight to Aberdeen at Pittodrie under Lennon.

All managers have a horrendous result here or there. We've also had some excellent results under Heckingbottom - 2-1 at Tynie, 2-1 when down 1-0 and down to ten men at St Johnstone we showed a ton of fight are two that leap to my mind immediately.

After a night to sleep on it, yesterday was horrendous and is a pivot point for Heckingbottom. We don't improve he's in trouble, we do improve then it will be forgotten about soon enough, much like how many on here have forgotten about some of the awful results under the last two managers too.

Agree with this.

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 11:19 AM
Would be interesting to know what the new owner thinks. If it was me I'd have him out the door ASAP (and a majority of the players). No doubt he will be given a bit more time, but I fail to see how anyone can seriously think that this "team" will be doing anything other than struggling to make top 6 at best ...

If we’re going to struggle to make top 6 then who have you saw that you think will be in it at our expense?

CockneyRebel
12-08-2019, 11:22 AM
We shipped six under Stubbs to Rangers at Easter Road and we shipped four going on eight to Aberdeen at Pittodrie under Lennon. We also shipped three to Killie under Lennon despite the majority of players on the pitch being defenders.

Those results were achieved with an inherited team and the more players he has signed the worse the performances have been.

WhileTheChief..
12-08-2019, 11:45 AM
I don't think its a case of anyone 'liking him so much'. Its more a case of wanting to give a new manager and half a new team a bit of time.

But the minute we had a bad result, the outrage was always going to be severe on here. Some Hibs fans just don't like the guy for whatever reason. The result was an absolute shocker I admit. But some of the stuff on here, just 2 games into the season is well over the top.

I’ll admit that I don’t really like the guy, I think he’s a bit of a fraud, to borrow another poster’s phrase.

Someone mentioned yesterday that we should do a Leeds and cut our losses, I tend to agree.

It’s not just down to the two games this season for me though. I was uninspired and unconvinced when he was appointed and these feelings have only got stronger as time has gone by.

Wins against Hearts and St Johnstone are the only decent results I can think of and I’ve not been to a single game where I’ve enjoyed the team’s performance since his arrival.

Since452
12-08-2019, 11:48 AM
Those results were achieved with an inherited team and the more players he has signed the worse the performances have been.

You can say the very same of Neil Lennon

erin-go-bragh87
12-08-2019, 11:58 AM
I’ll admit that I don’t really like the guy, I think he’s a bit of a fraud, to borrow another poster’s phrase.

Someone mentioned yesterday that we should do a Leeds and cut our losses, I tend to agree.

It’s not just down to the two games this season for me though. I was uninspired and unconvinced when he was appointed and these feelings have only got stronger as time has gone by.

Wins against Hearts and St Johnstone are the only decent results I can think of and I’ve not been to a single game where I’ve enjoyed the team’s performance since his arrival.

This sums it up for me. Couldn’t agree more. Was already feeling like this then the quotes last week about not playing the “Hibs way” as long as we are winning, then that defeat yesterday have cemented how I feel about him. Vela, Newell and Doidge are the least exciting signings we’ve made in a long time and not one of them is good enough to play for Hibs. This could be a very long season....

Northernhibee
12-08-2019, 12:03 PM
those results were achieved with an inherited team and the more players he has signed the worse the performances have been.

p2, w1, l1?

Weir07
12-08-2019, 12:22 PM

For what it's worth I quite like him but to be honest that's neither here nor there, it's what he achieves as Hibs manager that counts. He did really well to make the top six when he took over, Motherwell and St Johnstone were in a stronger position than us and he not only won games against them but managed to go on a long unbeaten run. The top six form was mixed but we had pretty much achieved all we reasonably could be then, draw to Hearts and defeat to Aberdeen at home were annoying though.

This season has been ok so far, apart from the Stirling Albion and Rangers away games, the thing that really counts against him is recruitment, hadn't heard of any of the six signings he's made and so far none have really stuck out or shined, there is time yet but when you recruit so many unheard of players from a small pool, you leave yourself open to criticism if things don't go as well as expected.

The next two games are crucial for him, the fans will expect convincing wins against Morton and St Johnstone, anything less and the negative momentum will build.

Hopefully he does it but the the jury is out.

hhibs
12-08-2019, 12:25 PM

Sorry to say that is pretty much where I am .

Coco Bryce
12-08-2019, 12:29 PM

That's how I feel about him. Completely dull and uninspiring.

wookie70
12-08-2019, 01:06 PM

An inherited team that was a shambles under the previous manager, described by many on here as a motivator and winner. Heck can hardly be blamed for making a team better without the opportunity to sign players last year and he can hardly be judged at all this year as it is so early in the season. We have won 4 drawn 1 and lost 1 this season with his signing very much involved. That is hardly a disaster.

Vini1875
12-08-2019, 01:09 PM
Its way too early to change things and I do believe we will get better as we string together a couple of results against non-OF teams. The worrying thing for me however is that he does seem to get that we make a fight of games, that we expect a bit of fire and grit and that because of that we do get results in Glasgow. We do not bend over like hearts do in Glasgow. It seems like he almost wrote off the games against the OF. I have seen us well beaten by teams and to some degree I can live with that, but I can't stomach meekly surrendering. The team that started was all wrong and when it went to 3-1 you could see the players chuck in the towel IMHO that comes from the manager.

James Stephen
12-08-2019, 01:29 PM
Its way too early to change things and I do believe we will get better as we string together a couple of results against non-OF teams. The worrying thing for me however is that he does seem to get that we make a fight of games, that we expect a bit of fire and grit and that because of that we do get results in Glasgow. We do not bend over like hearts do in Glasgow. It seems like he almost wrote off the games against the OF. I have seen us well beaten by teams and to some degree I can live with that, but I can't stomach meekly surrendering. The team that started was all wrong and when it went to 3-1 you could see the players chuck in the towel IMHO that comes from the manager.

I've been doing a bit of defending of him today (against the wild overreaction) but i do have a bit of a similar worry as you outlined there.

Mowbray was a bit like that too, almost completely emotionally detatched and looked at things too logically and coldly. We took a few serious hidings at tynie as a result of his attitude (and Hearts being good).

I hope Hecky isn't like that - hopefully he is just on a bit of a learning curve.

PeeJay
12-08-2019, 02:29 PM
If we’re going to struggle to make top 6 then who have you saw that you think will be in it at our expense?

The "obvious" candidates plus most of the others (:greengrin) -- although I haven't actually seen much of most of them - but then I've seen enough of our team - the defence was a major problem last season and remains so: you cannot have a good team with a defence and "footballers" that bad! Let's face it, if the manager can't get them motivated and up for it for a game in Glasgow, well what's going on? I am not sure why the manager/club has not addressed that problem ...

Seems to me that no-one at the club works hard enough at the training ground or on the park: that is nothing new, but it is why we will be struggling to make top 6 or make any serious impression this season IMO.

HFC93
12-08-2019, 03:17 PM

Good question, a few of posters stating that we'll struggle to make the top six. Apart from the Old Firm, I'm keen to know which four teams are certainties to finish above us? Aberdeen...?

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-08-2019, 03:30 PM
Sorry to say that is pretty much where I am .

Me too.

Torto7
12-08-2019, 03:38 PM
He always seems to set us up wrongly for the start of games. How many times do we see him make tactical changes 20 or 30 mins into a game usually when the oppositions midfield are running through us.

He's far too reactive for me and I don't see a clear style of play. We just react to the opponent.

flash
12-08-2019, 03:43 PM
He always seems to set us up wrongly for the start of games. How many times do we see him make tactical changes 20 or 30 mins into a game usually when the oppositions midfield are running through us.

He's far too reactive for me and I don't see a clear style of play. We just react to the opponent.
Was that not Lennon?

Crazyhorse
12-08-2019, 03:47 PM

Yes or no.

I would give him more time, say at least to the end of the month.

angus hibby
12-08-2019, 03:58 PM

Spot on and a very sensible post. See also Mark McNulty’s article on BBC sport website. McNulty has absolutely nothing to gain from saying what he does so I’ll stick to listening to guys like him who have actually worked under Heckingbottom.

Greentinted
12-08-2019, 04:04 PM

Pretty much where I am, put more succinctly than I could.
Sorry to say but it just doesn’t feel like a good fit. Hope I’m proved wrong but the niggle persists meantime.

B.H.F.C
12-08-2019, 04:06 PM
Spot on and a very sensible post. See also Mark McNulty’s article on BBC sport website. McNulty has absolutely nothing to gain from saying what he does so I’ll stick to listening to guys like him who have actually worked under Heckingbottom.

I quite liked working for my last boss, but it doesn’t mean he was really good at his job.

Folk can say as many nice things about him as they want, the only thing that matters is what happens on the pitch. And since the win at Tynecastle in April it’s been average, at best.

angus hibby
12-08-2019, 04:20 PM
I quite liked working for my last boss, but it doesn’t mean he was really good at his job.

Folk can say as many nice things about him as they want, the only thing that matters is what happens on the pitch. And since the win at Tynecastle in April it’s been average, at best.

Have you read the article? About Heckingbottom, he says “him and his assistant are probably two of the best coaches I’ve worked under” and goes onto say Hibs will be lucky if they can hang onto him.

To me, that suggests he is very good at his job, after all he’s employed as a head coach.

Torto7
12-08-2019, 05:17 PM
Was that not Lennon?

At times. It seems to be the norm however under PH.

B.H.F.C
12-08-2019, 05:29 PM
Have you read the article? About Heckingbottom, he says “him and his assistant are probably two of the best coaches I’ve worked under” and goes onto say Hibs will be lucky if they can hang onto him.

To me, that suggests he is very good at his job, after all he’s employed as a head coach.

I have, and it’s just words. I stood in a wee corner at Ibrox yesterday and watched the most inept performance I’ve seen in years from a Hibs team. And that’s been after a dire end to last season and an uninspiring, at best, start to this season. So based on what I’ve watched I, quite frankly, don’t really care what Marc McNulty has to say.

Results and performances, rather than someone talking nicely about him, will change my mind.

BoomtownHibees
12-08-2019, 05:41 PM

There will be nobody banging on the door to take Hecky away from us after watching us yesterday, regardless of what a player who played for us for 4 months has to say

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 05:41 PM
Good question, a few of posters stating that we'll struggle to make the top six. Apart from the Old Firm, I'm keen to know which four teams are certainties to finish above us? Aberdeen...?

I’m not saying it won’t happen, but every other team that will realistically challenge for it have struggled. Hearts have been rank, Killie even worse and Motherwell got a beating like ours on sat. St Johnstone got an even worse doing first game of the season. I think we’ve a very good chance of 4th, not necessarily because we’re great but because the others are nothing special at all.

HibeeBigFly
12-08-2019, 07:16 PM
He should be gone today imo. We shipped 6 goals to an average Rangers (in context of the financial doped former Rangers) resting two key players. They had 34 shots and it really should have been more. Couple this with uninspiring performances at the tail end of last season and his signings which is another story. Yesterday for me was unforgivable! Drawing with Stirling and being a wip still also.

The_Horde
12-08-2019, 07:24 PM

Huge difference between Stubbs' 6 and yesterday's.

Yesterday was meant to be a strong side. Stubbs' side was a work in progress at the time. We had youngsters who were never going to be near the full side starting and it was in the challenge cup. Not the league.

tonyrougier123
12-08-2019, 07:25 PM
How many gaffers in the past have survived or came back from a gubbing like yesterday to become a fans favourite?im not shouting for his head.but the signs are ominous.

Torto7
12-08-2019, 07:42 PM
How many gaffers in the past have survived or came back from a gubbing like yesterday to become a fans favourite?im not shouting for his head.but the signs are ominous.

Wasn't Mogga involved in a horror show at Tynecastle in his first game? The De Vries game.

James Stephen
12-08-2019, 07:48 PM

Eddie Turnbull?

tonyrougier123
12-08-2019, 09:32 PM
Eddie Turnbull?

How many? Is that your list? Pretty rare then I would say.

Anyone who thinks he will come good has a much better resolve than me.

The 90+2
12-08-2019, 10:35 PM
Wasn't Mogga involved in a horror show at Tynecastle in his first game? The De Vries game.

Nope. That was Williamson. Mowbray lost a couple
Of 0-4s though.

Zazu62
12-08-2019, 10:35 PM
Nope. That was Williamson. Mowbray lost a couple
Of 0-4s though.

Think it was 3 or 4 .. 4-0’s

monktonharp
12-08-2019, 11:08 PM
We're hurting, I get it. But the level of over reaction is embarrassing, this poll shows how many irrational fans we have.the rational are catching up with the irrational now, or is it the other way round?

JimBHibees
13-08-2019, 09:41 AM
5 games against the old firm. 2 goal scored.

We have sat off them in every single meeting. Thats why he wont last. Hibs fans dont expect us to beat them but they expect us to make sure they know theyve been in a game. We will be both sides easiest games of the season the way we are set up against them.

Personally don't have any issue sitting off then winning the ball and counter attacking but plainly we aren't good enough defensively as a team to do that.

The 90+2
13-08-2019, 09:54 AM
Think it was 3 or 4 .. 4-0’s

Won more than enough to stay in credit though and was up against the mental spending hearts teams.

I remember one game against them at new year, sitting there 4 down just after half time and I think Gary Smith got sent off thinking this was going to pass 0-7.

James Stephen
13-08-2019, 10:57 AM
How many? Is that your list? Pretty rare then I would say.

Anyone who thinks he will come good has a much better resolve than me.

In the same way i wouldn't proclaim him as the new Fergie had we won 6-1, neither will i say he is a dud after losing it.

And Mowbray took a few hammerings in his time too, as did McLeish.

A Hi-Bee
24-08-2019, 04:40 PM
Think this one closed a bit early.