PDA

View Full Version : Players out of position.

nellio
11-08-2019, 05:10 PM
Not just a knee jerk reaction to today's result but after last week s hard laboured win I was saying we are putting square pegs in round holes.

Newell is not a winger. No way. Would be better in a more forward position in the middle.

Vela is not a pure defensive midfielder. For me he is more of a box to box type player.

Perhaps part of the reason we are toiling a bit.

ahibby
12-08-2019, 01:18 PM
Not just a knee jerk reaction to today's result but after last week s hard laboured win I was saying we are putting square pegs in round holes.

Newell is not a winger. No way. Would be better in a more forward position in the middle.

Vela is not a pure defensive midfielder. For me he is more of a box to box type player.

Perhaps part of the reason we are toiling a bit.
Yes Vela gives the ball away too easily to be a good defensive defender. We dont really have one but geel that Slivka would be worth a try in preference. Problem is that PH seems to be in favour of his own signings and so far they havent been good. Lots of improvement needed otherwise this lot are going to set us back.

Diclonius
12-08-2019, 01:20 PM
Vela is box-to-box and Mallan is an AM, but they are being played as DM and box-to-box for some reason.

Yet we are told the squad is fine and we don't need any more players.

1875Sean
12-08-2019, 06:44 PM
Makes you think is there a system where Mallan and Allan can play together

Stuart93
12-08-2019, 06:48 PM
Makes you think is there a system where Mallan and Allan can play together

I’m not sure I’ve seen mallan have a stand out game against any top 6 team? I’m sure I’ve probably missed one at least, potentially the 2-1 game at tynie. I think he’s a luxury player who can excel but only when we’re on top. When the going gets tough, 9 times out of 10, he disappears completely

JohnM1875
12-08-2019, 06:50 PM
I’m not sure I’ve seen mallan have a stand out game against any top 6 team? I’m sure I’ve probably missed one at least, potentially the 2-1 game at tynie. I think he’s a luxury player who can excel but only when we’re on top. When the going gets tough, 9 times out of 10, he disappears completely

Mallan was outstanding against Celtic at Easter Road last season. His best game in a Hibs shirt. He needs dropped for me though. Hasn't played well enough for a wee while now.

Jones28
12-08-2019, 06:59 PM
When you look at recent Hibs teams the midfield has had the balance just right. When Allan, McGinn and McGeouch were the midfield three we had the right combination of tenacity, skill and creativity.

For me, we really really need a John McGinn type of player. Someone more athletic than Mallan or Allan, and I think Vela has been brought in to fill that role. I don’t think he does, he’s not athletic enough.

Slivka would maybe work as part of a 2 with Allan sitting in front - a midfield of Mallan and Slivka, with a bank of 3 behind the striker (Middleton, Allan, Horgan) is more balanced for me.

Newall I’m afraid has looked so out of his depth, and the only time I saw him in the flesh was at Stirling and even then he was pish.