PDA

View Full Version : Recruitment

Currie Hibee
11-08-2019, 04:34 PM
I’ve seen comments on threads today about signings over the summer. My opinion is;

Doidge/ Newell - not good enough
Vela/ Jackson - think they will do well
James/ Maxwell - too early to tell
Scott Allan - touch of class

Heckingbottom has taken a lot of stick but who takes the blame if this turns out to be a bad window. Our supposedly excellent recruitment team seem to get away with murder and all the blame gets put on Heckingbottom. Surely they have to be at least partly accountable.

where'stheslope
11-08-2019, 04:41 PM
I’ve seen comments on threads today about signings over the summer. My opinion is;

Heckingbottom has taken a lot of stick but who takes the blame if this turns out to be a bad window. Our supposedly excellent recruitment team seem to get away with murder and all the blame gets put on Heckingbottom. Surely they have to be at least partly accountable.
I take what you say, but it is far to early to make up your mind on new players!
Today we played a team who have spent money to get what they have, and playing them this early in the season has definitely gone against us.
We still need time to bed in players, as all teams do, they have had the benefit of European ties to hone their skills, while we played lower league teams!!!

eastcoasthibby
11-08-2019, 04:46 PM
We had a midfield last season that had very little mobility, couldn't pass a ball, didn't get in the box, got bullied off balls, let players run off us and we're weak in the tackle, so coming into this season who did we bring in to resolve that problem ? Allan gets in the box, Vela will compete fine, but you can't carry two midfielders in every game the way we are ..the forwards recruitment has been poor Shaw showed very little last season as did Kamberi ..Doidge comes in for money and has shown little and Hecky comes out with an emphatic we aren't bringing anyone else in so going with these 3 definitely til Xmas is a poor decision, to not think we don't need another midfielder who is mobile and will compete is also another questionable one !!! And that's not even to mention the wide areas until Boyle got injured he was happy with that as well ...neither wonder questions were getting asked even before today !! The statement made about playing high pressing game, with pace ...is the complete opposite from what we have seen, I am not one for not giving people the chance but Hecky hasn't helped himself so far ...and I haven't even gone near the tactics and team selections ...the question about recruitment is a big one, last summer's recruitment was poor and this year's isn't looking very great so as long as it being Hecky under question surely the recruitment also are under scrutiny as a pattern seems to be appearing !!!

Smartie
11-08-2019, 04:55 PM
We've had a few dodgy summer windows in a row with some excellent business in January papering over a few cracks.

It looks very much to me like every summer we take a chance on available players whose pedigree we perceive to be better than is suggested, then we try to shoe horn them into a team without much thought as to how they are going to play together. By the time we see it's not working we tweak in January and end up not far off where we should be at the end of the season.

The new players don't look like good value and don't look likely to make a positive impression but there have been a few more who have been around for a while who haven't contributed anything like what we've needed. Our midfield has been poor for a while but "signed from Juventus with hunners of caps" Slivka can't really get into it. Stevie "player of the year" Mallan has been a consistent feature in the part of the team that has let us down most and we seem hell-bent on accommodating him, in spite of the fact that he has as many anonymous and frankly awful performance as he has good ones. How many "blink and you'll miss them" stop gaps have we had who have already been sent on their merry way without troubling the first team?

For all the talk of our "recruitment team" the players we recruit seem to reflect our manager at the time. Stubbs signed good players and built a good team. Lennon used his contacts and we got some really good players we wouldn't have expected to play for us along with a fair bit of dross, with little forward planning. PH seems to be going down the lower league rejects route - players who Bolton were interested in, players who were waiting for offers from Championship clubs that never came, players for relegated teams that the fans didn't rate.

McKenzie
11-08-2019, 05:10 PM
Definitely has to be some accountability from the recruitment team. The success rate must be pretty poor based on previous seasons when our better players have been with us for 5/6+ years now.

Michael
11-08-2019, 05:20 PM
When Lennon was in charge we signed a lot of players he'd worked with before. With Heckingbottom all of the signings have been league 1/league 2 players (which he's known about for a while).

You could say the best signings in that last year or so came when we had no manager. So are he recruitment team being utilised properly?

J-C
11-08-2019, 05:28 PM
I've said in other threads, the recruitment team gives the manager a list of players for positions and the manager has final say. Stubbs could spot a player, Lennon used agents and contacts and Heckingbottom knows his lower leagues. I think we needed 2-3 decent Scottish players that knew this league and what's expected.

SingaporeHibs
11-08-2019, 05:29 PM
When Lennon was in charge we signed a lot of players he'd worked with before. With Heckingbottom all of the signings have been league 1/league 2 players (which he's known about for a while).

You could say the best signings in that last year or so came when we had no manager. So are he recruitment team being utilised properly?

I agree with you, that’s how I see it as well. We could do with some transparency from Hibs about how our recruitment team works.

Hibernia&Alba
11-08-2019, 05:38 PM
I've said in other threads, the recruitment team gives the manager a list of players for positions and the manager has final say. Stubbs could spot a player, Lennon used agents and contacts and Heckingbottom knows his lower leagues. I think we needed 2-3 decent Scottish players that knew this league and what's expected.

Very much so. Players from the English lower leagues are not going to be enough.

On the early evidence, the new signings are a worry, but it's too early to make any final judgement. Players need to settle in and learn their role within the team. They will need to learn quickly; such performances won't be tolerated. We definitely need to strengthen.

GoalsMcGinley
11-08-2019, 05:40 PM
Newell, Doidge, James, Jackson are all Heckingbottom signings. NOT the recruitment team. He wanted them. They simply allowed him to go and get them. His signings, his team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heisenberg
11-08-2019, 05:42 PM
Newell, Doidge, James, Jackson are all Heckingbottom signings. NOT the recruitment team. He wanted them. They simply allowed him to go and get them. His signings, his team.

Doidge and Newell were apparently on our recruitment teams list for a few years.

James and Jackson I’ll give you. Baffled that he dropped Jackson today.

Currie Hibee
11-08-2019, 06:21 PM
Doidge and Newell were apparently on our recruitment teams list for a few years.

James and Jackson I’ll give you. Baffled that he dropped Jackson today.

This is what worries me. Doidge was bought for a reputed fee of c£350k so you would think he is one of the better earners and early signs remind me of Alan O’Brian / James Collins. Surely our recruitment team should be better at scouting talent. Other teams with a great smaller budget seem to manage it, an example being Ross County last/ this season.

Viva_Palmeiras
11-08-2019, 11:29 PM
I agree with you, that’s how I see it as well. We could do with some transparency from Hibs about how our recruitment team works.

Like the DailyRecord day in a life video? I’m not too sure what folks expect a usb stick delivered to their door? That was about as transparent as it gets and for locally based there’s been trips organised for .net folks. What more can the club do precisely?

DetroitHibs
12-08-2019, 01:36 AM
The problem is all the mystery that shrouds the clubs. We are told next to nothing about finances, signings, transfer rumors, etc etc. We don’t know if Heckingbottom chose these players or the recruitment team scouted them and gave him the list. Either way are recruitment is absolutely woeful. Apart from Allan, not one single signing has improved the team. Most are actually worse than what we already have.

1875STEVE
12-08-2019, 02:34 AM

How can it be "too early to tell" on some summer signings and "not good enough" on others? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Danderhall Hibs
12-08-2019, 05:37 AM
Like the DailyRecord day in a life video? I’m not too sure what folks expect a usb stick delivered to their door? That was about as transparent as it gets and for locally based there’s been trips organised for .net folks. What more can the club do precisely?

:agree: every time we lose a game these questions are asked. The official site should just post a link after a loss.

Then folk could moan it was the daily record that got the access.

Currie Hibee
12-08-2019, 05:45 AM
How can it be "too early to tell" on some summer signings and "not good enough" on others? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Newell - apart Fromm Elgin City has looked poor for me in every game he has played.

Doidge - for me just doesn’t look to have the quality and missed some sitters last week and was totally ineffective yesterday.

Maxwell / James - haven’t done anything wrong in games but also haven’t looked like they will add bundles of quality. Therefore maybe too early to tell for them and I think both will play a backup roll so we may never know.

Winston Ingram
12-08-2019, 05:51 AM
I really like Doidge, James and Jackson.

Newell barely even looks like a footballer.

BegbieHSC
12-08-2019, 05:56 AM
Sounds awfully negative here, but if Ron was prompted after seeing that pile of pish yesterday, to free up some extra money to get more players in, would you trust the gaffer/recruitment to use it wisely?

If not, I think we could be on the verge of a serious problem...

DetroitHibs
12-08-2019, 05:59 AM
Sounds awfully negative here, but if Ron was prompted after seeing that pile of pish yesterday, to free up some extra money to get more players in, would you trust the gaffer/recruitment to use it wisely?

An emphatic no from me. Solely based on his signings so far, not a single signing has improved the starting 11.

Curried
12-08-2019, 06:12 AM
Missed Milligan big-time against Sevco yesterday.......should have hung on to him IMHO.

BegbieHSC
12-08-2019, 06:24 AM
An emphatic no from me. Solely based on his signings so far, not a single signing has improved the starting 11.

That’s my concern too. After this transfer window, I wouldn’t trust them with more money. Gonna be a loooong season!

Currie Hibee
12-08-2019, 06:30 AM

I agree it’s negative but that’s what we currently have in front of us! It’s not exactly inspiring.

we are hibs
12-08-2019, 06:33 AM
I find it laughable some on here were turning their noses up at mcgeouch. He would walk in that midfield ahead of mallan or vela.

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 06:37 AM

When you say Stubbs could spot a player and Lennon used contacts, do you mean they looked down the list and Stubbs could spot one from the list and Lennon looked for agents/contacts he knew on the list or that they ignored the list and went their own way?

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 06:38 AM
I find it laughable some on here were turning their noses up at mcgeouch. He would walk in that midfield ahead of mallan or vela.

It is hilarious. Unsure whether he would even have been attainable but he would improve the midfield enormously. Knowing our league is also a big positive.

Clarence
12-08-2019, 06:44 AM

He needs to understand that if his product isn’t entertaining then he will haemorrhage viewers (season ticket holders) rapidly, which is a big problem.

DetroitHibs
12-08-2019, 07:01 AM

I was one of those questioning Dylan. He’s night and day better than those two.

J-C
12-08-2019, 07:13 AM
When you say Stubbs could spot a player and Lennon used contacts, do you mean they looked down the list and Stubbs could spot one from the list and Lennon looked for agents/contacts he knew on the list or that they ignored the list and went their own way?
Stubbs had an eye for a player that was from the list, Lennon used his contacts etc, players that came in during the January window like Flo, McLaren and Sparky cane from the recruitment team. You'll notice that Lennon always had a big turnover in January after his signings proved duds.

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 07:15 AM
Stubbs had an eye for a player that was from the list, Lennon used his contacts etc, players that came in during the January window like Flo, McLaren and Sparky cane from the recruitment team. You'll notice that Lennon always had a big turnover in January after his signings proved duds.

The recruitment team seems like a bit of a waste of time if the likes of NL (and possibly PH?) are just going to suit themselves anyway imo.

SingaporeHibs
12-08-2019, 07:20 AM

Somehow missed that video. Will search for it. Does it go into the detail on whether our recruitment team are responsible for all our signings or if it’s the managers responsibility?

JimBHibees
Missed Milligan big-time against Sevco yesterday.......should have hung on to him IMHO.

Certainly should have if not bringing in a better player which I think most assumed would happen when Mark was allowed to go. Assume this was the guy who went to Aberdeen

mcfly
It does make you wonder who watched newall and Doidge and thought. These 2 guys are ideal for hibs.

I just despair at the lack of effort. Surely when you start a new job you bust a gut to stand out from your colleagues and impress your boss.

Our budget has been wasted and if there is no money left then we are in for a very long season.

superfurryhibby
12-08-2019, 07:23 AM
He needs to understand that if his product isn’t entertaining then he will haemorrhage viewers (season ticket holders) rapidly, which is a big problem.

This is the challenge for our owner. Football is results driven and fans aren’t going to hang about watching piss poor teams on the pitch. Ron needs to dig deeper and fund some quality signings.
The team lacks sufficient numbers of talented men who can change games, across the team. Only Allan and Marciano have those qualities, we need at least three more of that standard to have a decent season.

Over to you wee Ron.

Not In The Know
12-08-2019, 07:39 AM

Take Scott Allan out that lot and if the others perform to the best of their ability it would still be boring as ****.

MrRobot
12-08-2019, 08:16 AM

Nonsense. How many times have you seen these guys play?

I get there is an overreaction after yesterday and quite right, but you cannot suggest that these two players are not good enough for Hibs after 2 league games.

Unseen work
12-08-2019, 10:20 AM
What strikes me is that Heckingbottom talked about a high pressing, energy, athletic new look hibs team.

Newell - Big and fit but no pace at all. Very laid back approach
James - Small and doesn’t seem pacey, again very laid back approach
Doidge - Wins a lot in the air and works hard but again isn’t overly powerful
Vela - Maybe the one you could say is in line with what he suggested
Jackson - Knows him from Barnsley, I like him

They just don’t really seem to match what he wanted? I know it’s hard to judge players so early on.

Newell is getting all ends of abuse but I actually think technically he is good and pops up in good positions, however he’s not a winger for me. In this league, with the way we want to play imo we need pace and directness on the wings. Jordan Jones ripped us a new one yesterday with his style.

James is another who I think looks really good on the ball. Great touch and passing but isn’t the energetic full back that would get up and down like I expected.

I actually felt bad for Vela yesterday as I thought he was the only person in our midfield then they had the ball, he was getting about and made some good tackles, interceptions and but pressure on them. You could see his frustration growing though and lead to some wild tackles. At fault for the goal which il put down to being tired.

Also find it a bit weird the players available over the summer on frees that we never went for

Shankland
Mulumbu
James Morrison (wage issues)
Cadden
Shaugnessy
Cummings (loan)

Some will add McGeouch but I think it’s blatantly obvious he’s not interested in a move back.

We really need to add real quality to our team in the next couple of weeks, guys that are instant starters for us. We need a physicality and energy in the middle of the pitch and pace and skill our wide.

It looks like Middleton will be added this week but we really need to push the boat out.

J-C
12-08-2019, 10:35 AM
The recruitment team seems like a bit of a waste of time if the likes of NL (and possibly PH?) are just going to suit themselves anyway imo.

They'll sit down at the end of season and decide what kind of player they need, the scouts will source a certain number who fit what we want and then the manager will decide which ones he wants. It's not uncommon for a new manager to have his own contacts within the game but when all is said and done, the manager has the final say on recruitment.

Daydreamer
12-08-2019, 11:26 AM
One thing we don't need is to bring players in on loan in January and they do well for someone else to sign them at the start of next season. Take Mcnulty and Omeonga.

bingo70
12-08-2019, 11:34 AM
One thing we don't need is to bring players in on loan in January and they do well for someone else to sign them at the start of next season. Take Mcnulty and Omeonga.

If we can’t afford permanent deals that’s exactly what we need and I don’t understand why we’ve turned our nose up at loan deals so far this window, it’s a great way to get players you otherwise couldn’t afford.

hibbie02
12-08-2019, 12:30 PM

The only players who have added anything to our team in the last 3 years have come from loans. The guys we actually sign have generally been pish.

Ozyhibby
12-08-2019, 04:16 PM
Recruitment has been rotten at Hibs for a while. Doubt it will change soon.

Smartie
12-08-2019, 04:44 PM
Recruitment has been rotten at Hibs for a while. Doubt it will change soon.

The January corrections have been first class.

The summer squad building has been pitiful since Stubbs was here.

J-C
12-08-2019, 07:10 PM
The January corrections have been first class.

The summer squad building has been pitiful since Stubbs was here.

Due to managers using their own contacts and having to revert back to the scouts recommendations to rectify the mistakes. Lennon used his own agents and his contacts to get players, Heckingbottom seems to be doing similar and using his own knowledge of the lower leagues, as you said Stubbs used the recruitment team to it's fullest plus he had a real eye for a player.

Danderhall Hibs
12-08-2019, 07:16 PM
Due to managers using their own contacts and having to revert back to the scouts recommendations to rectify the mistakes. Lennon used his own agents and his contacts to get players, Heckingbottom seems to be doing similar and using his own knowledge of the lower leagues, as you said Stubbs used the recruitment team to it's fullest plus he had a real eye for a player.

Stubbs made some great signings - pretty sure the St Mirren failure was blamed on his poor signings though. Maybe he did use the recruitment team at Hibs to its full capability.