PDA

View Full Version : City Breaks

Lancs Harp
10-08-2019, 08:46 PM
Taking my much better half off to to Seville for a weekend break at the end of September. Love travelling and had a few really good City breaks Prague Paris and Helsinki come immediately to mind (with a good few others worthy of a mention in dispatches).

Any favourite breaks and recommendations?

Anyone been to Seville?

patch1875
10-08-2019, 08:51 PM
Bit further but Istanbul is amazing.

Lancs Harp
10-08-2019, 08:54 PM
Bit further but Istanbul is amazing.

Managed to knock of 45 plus countries but never made it to Turkey and would very much like to go to Istanbul. Not top of the Mrs list though, I'll have to work on it :greengrin

patch1875
10-08-2019, 08:58 PM
Managed to knock of 45 plus countries but never made it to Turkey and would very much like to go to Istanbul. Not top of the Mrs list though, I'll have to work on it :greengrin

Do it! Turkey is a wonderful country, I quite like places with a bit of an edge to it Naples is another favourite.

Lancs Harp
10-08-2019, 09:01 PM
Do it! Turkey is a wonderful country, I quite like places with a bit of an edge to it Naples is another favourite.

Personally my top three Cities are Cape Town, Marrakech and not surprisingly Edinburgh.

Plenty of edge in Cape town and Marrakesh so I know what you mean.

hibs#1
10-08-2019, 09:20 PM
Belfast is really cool, easy to get to and not that expensive.

Mr Grieves
10-08-2019, 09:27 PM
Sarajevo. Not the prettiest and it's not the easiest to get to, but the history and people are something else.

I've mentioned this before, Romania has some beautiful and underrated cities. Brasov, Sibiu and Sighisaora are worth a visit

MSK
11-08-2019, 06:28 AM
Berlin is a great break, Budapest is stunning too as is Krakow, Naples as mentioned is good but we done Pompeii and will do Herculaneum in a couple of weeks time.

danhibees1875
11-08-2019, 09:33 AM
Porto is a fantastic little city. Cheap direct flights from Edinburgh, a lovely city with great food and drink and cheap accommodation. Worth taking a trip to the Duoro valley, and make sure to try one of the local "Francesca" sandwiches. :aok:

lyonhibs
11-08-2019, 12:22 PM
Lisbon or Lyon would be my recommendations

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-08-2019, 12:29 PM
Brussels/Leuven, Cologne, Belgrade, Riga, Ljubljana, Zagreb and Kiev (quite a long trip for a w-end though) amongst others for me.

CloudSquall
11-08-2019, 02:45 PM
Another vote for Porto, I'm living near Strasbourg so I'll thrown that in to the hat.

Geneva is nice too for a weekend, Luxembourg City too.

.Sean.
11-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Krakow and Budapest are both amazing.

Didnt enjoy Prague at all, found the majority of locals rude as **** and I spent half the time asking why they were ogling my missus and making her feel uncomfortable. Full of creeps, spoke to a couple from down south and a group of lads from Newcastle and they said they experienced similar - the locals are complacent with tourism trade and clearly don’t want you there.

Billy Whizz
11-08-2019, 07:05 PM
Porto is a fantastic little city. Cheap direct flights from Edinburgh, a lovely city with great food and drink and cheap accommodation. Worth taking a trip to the Duoro valley, and make sure to try one of the local "Francesca" sandwiches. :aok:

What’s the transfer time from the airport to Porto centre

DH1875
11-08-2019, 07:29 PM
Never been to Porto but Lisbon is fantastic and highly recommend. Bilbao and Madrid are easy to get to from Edinburgh and are also both fantastic but the best Spanish city break is 100% Valencia.

danhibees1875
11-08-2019, 08:40 PM

The airport is well located. We got a taxi into the city centre in about 20 minutes, an airport bus takes about 40.

goosano
12-08-2019, 06:26 AM

We used the metro/light railway from the airport to the city centre. It takes 30 minutes. Porto is great for a break and there are fantastic beaches and coastline to the south of the river.
I've had breaks to Lisbon Budapest, Valencia, Bratislava, Santander and Gothenburg. The first two were my favourites. I didn't like Valencia much. Gothenburg was great with a lovely archipelago but exorbitant drink prices

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 07:37 AM
I was in Seville a few months back. Not necessarily a lot to do but it’s a lovely place and pretty cheap. Also outrageously hot :agree:

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn which had a pool if that’s your thing (from memory when looking for hotels I don’t think many of them did) and a free shuttle service into the town every day. Uber’s were only about a tenner from the hotel.

Real Alcazar was worth a visit :agree:

Since90+2
12-08-2019, 05:41 PM
Vienna is absolutely stunning. The architecture is probably the most impressive I have ever seen.

St Stephens Cathedral is one of those places your jaw hits the floor as you walk. Schönbrunn Palace is also a must visit , the sheer scale of the place is mind blowing, it makes Holyrood look like a shed in comparison.

Vienna for me was far far more impressive than Prague which I found abit disappointing.

The Modfather
12-08-2019, 10:38 PM
Copenhagen made a lasting impression when I went over with the now wife for the Hibs game. We treated it as a long weekend and only did the football thing on the day of the game. If I were ever to move abroad that would be my first thought.

There’s a cluster of hotels the airport side of a massive park. Was 10 minutes on the shuttle to the city centre or the airport. Was also only a 20 minute bike ride through the park to the city. They have hop on hop off semi electric bikes so easy for all ages to use. They have also done the cycling thing properly, right throughout the city they have 3 levels of pavement, one for pedestrians, a level down for cycling and another level down to the road. Never seen a cleaner city.

Wasn’t cheap given it’s Scandinavia, but just waiting until my daughter is old enough to appreciate it and will head back.

Del Boy
12-08-2019, 10:49 PM
Rome and Berlin are brilliant cities, but huge. Plenty to see and learn about. Loved the food in both places too.

Was in Seville for a day last year, nice place, very hot!

Mibbes Aye
13-08-2019, 12:41 AM
Krakow and Budapest are both amazing.

Didnt enjoy Prague at all, found the majority of locals rude as **** and I spent half the time asking why they were ogling my missus and making her feel uncomfortable. Full of creeps, spoke to a couple from down south and a group of lads from Newcastle and they said they experienced similar - the locals are complacent with tourism trade and clearly don’t want you there.

Were you staying in the city centre? I wouldn’t be surprised if the ogling was less Czech and more ‘lads’ on party or stags. It is very popular with Russians and their language doesn’t sound hugely different from Czech. I go over there two or three times a year, usually staying just on the fringes of the Old Town and the groups of young Russians, coked up and drunk, are prevalent as soon as you get anywhere close to the city centre. Their idea of what constitutes constraint and good manners doesn’t set a high bar. But that’s true of the English and Scots stags as well!

In the centre, I think the local businesses and the like put up with the tourist trade, both the stag and hens, and the folk wanting to see the astronomical clock and Charles Bridge because like you say, it is profitable income. They also put up with very rude, often shocking behaviour. What always strikes me is that every business, every waiter, every barperson almost always speaks passable English and in fact the tourists, whether Russian, German or Chinese use English as the common language. It is amazing what using a few Czech words or phrases can do though - service staff tend to be genuinely delighted that someone has made the effort, given the assumption that you can just get by on English.

I think the other thing to bear in mind is that while it is changing, countries like the Czech Republic are still very, very formal when it comes to conversation between customers and staff. You no doubt would have been greeted with ‘Dobry den’ in shops, restaurants and bars, rather than ‘Ahoj’. The former is formal, translates as ‘good day’ whereas the latter is essentially ‘Hi’ or ‘Hello’ but they would never really use the latter or expect you to unless you knew each other really well and informally. All that can make them come across as a bit austere and aloof. You don’t get a ‘Good day’ or ‘Good afternoon’ in Greggs or Morrison’s or the local Wetherspoons over here, let’s face it.

Genuinely sorry you are and your partner didn’t have a good experience. I’m a frequent visitor to Prague and the Czech Republic and I love it. Fascinating country with great culture, great appetite for sports and great beer, wine and food.

Would echo your comment about Budapest, a lovely city (or somewhat like Prague, two cities divided by the river).

Ajo
13-08-2019, 06:43 AM
I’m heading to Venice, Trieste, Ljubljana and Lake Bled in September. Any recommendations of things to do/places to eat whilst out there?

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-08-2019, 07:28 AM
I’m heading to Venice, Trieste, Ljubljana and Lake Bled in September. Any recommendations of things to do/places to eat whilst out there?

Plenty wee places on the river in Ljubljana, take a cable car ride up to the castle too.

overdrive
13-08-2019, 07:51 PM
Madrid is great. Relatively cheap too.

danhibees1875
13-08-2019, 09:04 PM
Madrid is great. Relatively cheap too.

I was about to say Madrid. Lovely city. :agree:

Some of the tapas bars are incredible. Mountains of food along with your pint. :greengrin

Haymaker
14-08-2019, 01:09 AM
Were you staying in the city centre? I wouldn’t be surprised if the ogling was less Czech and more ‘lads’ on party or stags. It is very popular with Russians and their language doesn’t sound hugely different from Czech. I go over there two or three times a year, usually staying just on the fringes of the Old Town and the groups of young Russians, coked up and drunk, are prevalent as soon as you get anywhere close to the city centre. Their idea of what constitutes constraint and good manners doesn’t set a high bar. But that’s true of the English and Scots stags as well!

In the centre, I think the local businesses and the like put up with the tourist trade, both the stag and hens, and the folk wanting to see the astronomical clock and Charles Bridge because like you say, it is profitable income. They also put up with very rude, often shocking behaviour. What always strikes me is that every business, every waiter, every barperson almost always speaks passable English and in fact the tourists, whether Russian, German or Chinese use English as the common language. It is amazing what using a few Czech words or phrases can do though - service staff tend to be genuinely delighted that someone has made the effort, given the assumption that you can just get by on English.

I think the other thing to bear in mind is that while it is changing, countries like the Czech Republic are still very, very formal when it comes to conversation between customers and staff. You no doubt would have been greeted with ‘Dobry den’ in shops, restaurants and bars, rather than ‘Ahoj’. The former is formal, translates as ‘good day’ whereas the latter is essentially ‘Hi’ or ‘Hello’ but they would never really use the latter or expect you to unless you knew each other really well and informally. All that can make them come across as a bit austere and aloof. You don’t get a ‘Good day’ or ‘Good afternoon’ in Greggs or Morrison’s or the local Wetherspoons over here, let’s face it.

Genuinely sorry you are and your partner didn’t have a good experience. I’m a frequent visitor to Prague and the Czech Republic and I love it. Fascinating country with great culture, great appetite for sports and great beer, wine and food.

Would echo your comment about Budapest, a lovely city (or somewhat like Prague, two cities divided by the river).

Been to Prague 7 or 8 times with mixed sex groups and never had any issues. Other than Edinburgh it would be the European city of choice for me to live (if I could speak Czech beyond ordering beer and deep fried cheese).

GlesgaeHibby
14-08-2019, 06:35 AM
Lisbon or Lyon would be my recommendations

Just back from a stag in Lisbon and would recommend - although being a stag I didn't see an awful lot of Lisbon. Will go back at some point with the Mrs to properly explore.

Loved Prague - so much to see and so much choice food wise. Had an absolutely outstanding meal in an Argentinian restaurant in Prague last year.

lyonhibs
14-08-2019, 12:58 PM
Just back from a stag in Lisbon and would recommend - although being a stag I didn't see an awful lot of Lisbon. Will go back at some point with the Mrs to properly explore.

Loved Prague - so much to see and so much choice food wise. Had an absolutely outstanding meal in an Argentinian restaurant in Prague last year.

Yeah, I saw :hide:.

Would definitely recommend it with the good lady friend as well - go to Belem and join the queues for the divine Pasteis de Nata

portyhibernian
16-08-2019, 03:15 PM
+1 for Lisbon - beautiful city, friendly locals and some really nice restaurants (we really liked one called BouBou's). Everything uphill would be my one complaint! Taxi drivers went on strike while we were there last September which caused an issue getting to the airport when we we were leaving, but sure that will all be sorted by now.

Pretty Boy
16-08-2019, 03:38 PM
It's hardly original but I loved Rome, there really is something for everyone. We were only there for 4 days so we had to rush things a bit more than we would have liked but I'd love to go back and spend more time just wandering.

Based on places I've been to in the last few years I'd recommend Montpellier, Udine and Valencia. I've also done a few of the usual suspects; Rome as mentioned above, Berlin and Barcelona and would recommend all of those as well.

danhibees1875
16-08-2019, 05:21 PM
It's hardly original but I loved Rome, there really is something for everyone. We were only there for 4 days so we had to rush things a bit more than we would have liked but I'd love to go back and spend more time just wandering.

Based on places I've been to in the last few years I'd recommend Montpellier, Udine and Valencia. I've also done a few of the usual suspects; Rome as mentioned above, Berlin and Barcelona and would recommend all of those as well.

Rome is stunningly beautiful. :agree:

I was there for 3/4 nights and as you say, struggled to see everything. Baffles me that people get off a cruise to go there for an afternoon!

Dalianwanda
16-08-2019, 08:19 PM
Just booked up for Marrakech again...Will probably head out to the coast too but love the city...So cheap in November too..

DH1875
16-08-2019, 09:14 PM
Just booked up for Marrakech again...Will probably head out to the coast too but love the city...So cheap in November too..

You been a few times then? How safe is it? (Genuine question)

marinello59
16-08-2019, 09:16 PM
If I was booking a city break today it would be a straight choice between Florence or Copenhagen.

Cataplana
18-08-2019, 08:24 AM
Malaga is great. Excellent public transport, great bars and food in the city centre at good prices.

San Miguel at 2.5 Euro a pint in the best bars, craft beers like Brew Dog, 5 euros tops for a pint.

Real Spain, and still glad to welcome visitors. Go now, before it is ruined by over tourism.

Mr Grieves
18-08-2019, 11:52 AM
Malaga is great. Excellent public transport, great bars and food in the city centre at good prices.

San Miguel at 2.5 Euro a pint in the best bars, craft beers like Brew Dog, 5 euros tops for a pint.

Real Spain, and still glad to welcome visitors. Go now, before it is ruined by over tourism.

We went on holiday to Nerja in July and did day trips to Malaga and Granada.

I was pleasently surprised by Malaga. Very nice old town to wander round, the port area is cool and there's a real buzz about the place. And I got a pint for €1.50 in the city centre, unreal!

Granada was nice but way too touristy for my liking. Shout out for the science Park though, an amazing place for kids.

Mibbes Aye
19-08-2019, 10:46 PM
If I was booking a city break today it would be a straight choice between Florence or Copenhagen.

Copenhagen is a very, very pleasant city break. One of those places that probably has copyright on ‘picturesque’. We were there in May and loved sitting, drinking and eating in the harbour cafes. We went to a concert in the opera house and it was spectacular - gorgeous venue, walkable to in a similar way you get in Edinburgh

Never been to Florence but it is very high up on the list of future breaks. If we book, I will be back on here asking you for recommendations :greengrin

Onceinawhile
20-08-2019, 12:44 PM
Copenhagen is a very, very pleasant city break. One of those places that probably has copyright on ‘picturesque’. We were there in May and loved sitting, drinking and eating in the harbour cafes. We went to a concert in the opera house and it was spectacular - gorgeous venue, walkable to in a similar way you get in Edinburgh

Never been to Florence but it is very high up on the list of future breaks. If we book, I will be back on here asking you for recommendations :greengrin

Florence is great :agree: and close enough to Pisa to take a 1/2 day trip as well.

HappyAsHellas
22-08-2019, 04:08 PM
We had a weekend away in Bergamo and it was excellent. Lovely place to walk around and plenty of restaurants and bars to fill an evening.

Dalianwanda
23-08-2019, 01:14 PM
You been a few times then? How safe is it? (Genuine question)

I was there last year and felt perfectly safe. Stayed in medina in a lovely Ruiz. It’s exactly what i was hoping for exotic, chaotic an assault to the senses. Like any major city your best to keep your whits about you & everyone’s trying to make a buck off you. Once you get used to it i couldn’t recommend highly enough. We were also a few days outside Agadir for surfing this year gonna drive to essaouira as only heard good things.

HarpyHibby
23-09-2019, 07:10 PM
Has anyone been to Milan for the weekend? For non footballing purposes I must add...

Time For Heroes
23-09-2019, 07:21 PM
Has anyone been to Milan for the weekend? For non footballing purposes I must add...

I went last year with the wife, beautiful city, the kind of place you can just walk around and appreciate.
Definitely recommend it

lyonhibs
24-09-2019, 06:42 AM

I was pleasantly surprised by Milan, I have to say. Il Duomo and Galleria Vittoria Emmanuele II really are stunning, despite being touristy as ****.

Jim44
24-09-2019, 08:44 AM

Like Malaga, Alicante is unfairly considered to be an airport destination for other areas. Alicante itself is a lovely place, great marina, castle and old town atmosphere and great restaurants.

Lancs Harp
19-10-2019, 12:10 PM
We went to Palma Mallorca in the end, had a fantastic time, lovely place, great bars and restaurants weather in the high 20s, highly recommend for a mini break.:thumbsup:

LancashireHibby
19-10-2019, 12:59 PM
We went to Palma Mallorca in the end, had a fantastic time, lovely place, great bars and restaurants weather in the high 20s, highly recommend for a mini break.:thumbsup:
We were in Palmanova last week and had a day in Palma, love going there. Wouldn’t have fancied doing their marathon the same weekend, mind.

MagicSwirlingShip
19-10-2019, 08:20 PM
Off to Prague in a few weeks - anyone on here than can pass on some tips?

The_Exile
19-10-2019, 08:26 PM
Florence is utterly utterly stunning and beautiful. I'd happily live there if I could speak Italian, the learning of which is also on the to do list!

MSK
19-10-2019, 08:52 PM
Off to Prague in a few weeks - anyone on here than can pass on some tips?Nice city, few cracking eateries, head away from the touristy places, last time we were there, early December (Christmas markets) it was heaving and most places were full up so booking was recommended. If you like history Terezin concentration camp (30 miles outside Prague) is worth a visit, we stayed in a Metro Express hotel, basic but the beds were worth the visit alone, best sleep I had in years 😆, oh and the Staropramen dark is a cracking pint 🍺👍

Mibbes Aye
19-10-2019, 10:53 PM

We go over two or three times a year to the Czech Republic, Prague-based but venture out to Moravia, and out to Slovakia, Austria etc. Been going for five or six years now. If you let me know what sort of thing you might be looking for from restaurants and pubs then happy to offer recommendations, we have been to all sorts. If you like them then say, if they are rubbish then let me know .

MagicSwirlingShip
19-10-2019, 11:48 PM
Nice city, few cracking eateries, head away from the touristy places, last time we were there, early December (Christmas markets) it was heaving and most places were full up so booking was recommended. If you like history Terezin concentration camp (30 miles outside Prague) is worth a visit, we stayed in a Metro Express hotel, basic but the beds were worth the visit alone, best sleep I had in years 😆, oh and the Staropramen dark is a cracking pint 🍺👍

Nice one mate, if you can remember any of the eateries that would be much appreciated!

We go over two or three times a year to the Czech Republic, Prague-based but venture out to Moravia, and out to Slovakia, Austria etc. Been going for five or six years now. If you let me know what sort of thing you might be looking for from restaurants and pubs then happy to offer recommendations, we have been to all sorts. If you like them then say, if they are rubbish then let me know .

Ah class! Exactly the kind of knowledge I'm after...

We are over the Tuesday to Sunday so plan on spending the first few days exploring, taking in the sights, scenery etc. Both the mrs and myself enjoy a beer so some nice bars to grab a cold one (or two in) would be nice. I've already got a wee list of late night more cocktail style bars from a few mates... I definitely want to head to an Absinthe bar at some point also..

Food wise, we're both pretty open minded. We will be out exploring alot during the day so for lunch will either be grabbing quick stuff we can eat on the go or try and find somewhere nice for a few beers and a light lunch. Night time food spots will be looking for nice surroundings, a nice steak joint perhaps. Any recommendations would be appreciated!!

Also if you know of any wee hidden activity gems the city has to offer, I'd seen online you can take a wee train style thing up to the castle, looked quite nice.

We plan on going out to a few clubs Friday night into Saturday morning, seems to be a decent scene over there!

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-10-2019, 07:27 AM

Zizkov (Prague 3) is well worth a visit, a multitude of cheap as chips drinking establishments. Repete (Rybna Street) in the town centre is a decent cocktail bar. A wee day trip to Pilsen (by train, quite scenic) is worthwhile too.

MSK
20-10-2019, 09:46 AM
Nice one mate, if you can remember any of the eateries that would be much appreciated

!Sorry mate cant recall any names other than Hard Rock (yeah I know 😆) my Daughter loves them, Prague, Krakow, Budapest, Berlin, we have been in them all 😆 We did pass, and were very tempted to go into an absinthe bar but after a skinful of Staropramen dark it was best avoided 😆 whatever your plans are Im sure you will have a great time 👍

Mibbes Aye
20-10-2019, 04:28 PM
Nice one mate, if you can remember any of the eateries that would be much appreciated!

Ah class! Exactly the kind of knowledge I'm after...

We are over the Tuesday to Sunday so plan on spending the first few days exploring, taking in the sights, scenery etc. Both the mrs and myself enjoy a beer so some nice bars to grab a cold one (or two in) would be nice. I've already got a wee list of late night more cocktail style bars from a few mates... I definitely want to head to an Absinthe bar at some point also..

Food wise, we're both pretty open minded. We will be out exploring alot during the day so for lunch will either be grabbing quick stuff we can eat on the go or try and find somewhere nice for a few beers and a light lunch. Night time food spots will be looking for nice surroundings, a nice steak joint perhaps. Any recommendations would be appreciated!!

Also if you know of any wee hidden activity gems the city has to offer, I'd seen online you can take a wee train style thing up to the castle, looked quite nice.

We plan on going out to a few clubs Friday night into Saturday morning, seems to be a decent scene over there!

I will put something suggestions up later this evening. Would echo HH’s post though. Zhizkov is a vibrant part of town. Plzen is only 1hr40 on the express train and the trains are good and cheap. It is easy to get around and has good beer as you would expect from the home of pilsner! We

Mibbes Aye
20-10-2019, 06:18 PM
MagicSwirlingShip, I am a wee bit older than you and my clubbing days are a bit of a memory, so hopefully someone else can throw in a few options :greengrin

As for the other recommendations, I will break it up over a few posts, so it isn’t too much reading.

Pubs - no shortage in Praha! It’s worth looking out for ones that do tank beer 🍻. This is where the pilsner is stored in a tank rather than a keg, on the basis it develops a better taste. If you haven’t been to Prague before then be prepared to accept that a beer is served with a massive head, typically a third of the glass. It is just the way it is. Given that it is the best tasting beer I have ever had and given that in some bars it really is costing pennies, then that seems okay.

Not sure where about you are staying. An old favourite pub is U Pinkasu. It is very central, in a sort of alley not far off Wenceslas Square. Despite the location it was never very touristy, it felt more like somewhere that was a real Czech pub. I think it has got more of a profile now though and it is one of the oldest pubs in the city I believe.

There is a bar close to the river Vltava, which runs through the middle of the city, called Pivobar Národní. It is right beside the national threatre which is called Národní Divadlo. It is good because it has a massive beer garden out the back, I think maybe the biggest in Praha. They do beer flights, where you can try four or so small glasses of different beer. The food isn’t that great though, so stick to the beer.

We tend to avoid the bars that cater for U.K. groups wanting live football, but occasionally it has to be done. The best IMO is the James Joyce, just on the northern fringe of the Old Town. Easily walking distance if you are in the city centre.

We tend to stay in an apartment just to the east of the Old Town. It is fifteen minutes walk to Old Town Square, so no distance at all, but it is just a couple of blocks far enough out to mean you don’t get the stag dos and birthday bashes. If you are over that way there is a craft beer pub on a street called Soukenická. The pub is called Gulden Draak. It is small, mostly locals, but very friendly and a host of great beers. Again they do the beer flights.

Also in the area, there are two rooftop bars, Tanku and Fashion Club. They are about seven or eight storeys up, on top of a shopping mall called Kotva. The mall isn’t easy to spot, strangely enough, but it is right across the road from an even bigger mall called Palladium, and the Námêstí Republiky metro station, which is a big, big station. The street is called Revoluční.

But genuinely, there are no shortage of places selling good beer, very cheaply, and especially as you get ten to fifteen minutes away from OTS, you start finding places with courtyards etc that are very pleasant. And if you are prepared to venture further out than Praha 1 then there are even cheaper pubs!

Mibbes Aye
20-10-2019, 06:48 PM
Restaurants -not sure what budgets you are working within but there is something for everyone. What I would say is that generally speaking, and especially outwith the immediate environs of Old Town Square, and especially when ordering ‘traditional’ Czech cuisine, the portions tend to be absolutely massive.

You mentioned steaks, there are two places in particular I like. George is in the city centre, just to the West of OTS, in the bit with the posh shops - Louis Vuitton, Rolex etc. As you will have guessed, it is expensive! Casa Argentina is close to the area I described where I stay, on Dlouhá. It is also expensive by Prague standards, actually expensive by Edinburgh standards but the food is very good. If you do go there ask if you can get a table in the conservatory, it’s like the conservatory you get at the Botanics rather than the one you have on the back of your house!

At a much more affordable point is La Boca on Truhlárská, which is actually where the apartment I use sits. It is quite an eccentric layout but the steaks were really good. And there are a couple of decent pubs on the street as well.

I would throw in Vŷtopna. The original branch is on Wenceslas Square, the second, which I haven’t been to, is in the Palladium shopping mall at Námêstí Republiky. It is exceptionally cheesy but a must-visit at least once. Basically the entire restaurant is built around a massive model railway line. You sit at your table, order the drinks and they are delivered right to you in the wagon of a model train. As I say, exceptionally cheesy and the food is basic (pizzas, schnitzels etc) but you can’t go to Prague and not do it!

A couple,of other mentions -there is an Asian (and I mean Asian, it fuses Japanese, Chines, Thai etc) place called Asian Temple, in the Jewish Quarter. It is absolutely massive, very stylised and ornate design and just a bit of a treat for all the senses. It isn’t particularly cheap but not ridiculously expensive, and worth visiting for the experience let alone the food.

If you like Indian, there is a Punjabi place called Five Rivers, central but close to the river. It is gorgeous inside, the food is great and hugely-portioned and the service is brilliant.

My only other recommendation would be Enjoy on Soukeniká. Asian fusion, and pretty cheap but very tasty. It is never busy which makes me wonder, but the food is always fresh and delicious. That and El-Emir, which is Lebanese and in the Palladium mall. Basically you can pick one dish and share between two because the portions are so massive.

If you do go to a restaurant promising traditional Czech cuisine, bear in mind that ordering starters and mains is a challenge. I like my food but I have lost count of the number of times I have sent a plate back half-finished just because of the sheer quantity.

Mibbes Aye
20-10-2019, 07:03 PM
MSS, you asked about the less-obvious gems. If you go to the Castle (which is worth it) there are a bunch of museums and galleries (‘palaces’) on the path up the hill. There is one called Lobkowiczkŷ that has a terrace cafe with stunning views across Prague. The food is basics - paninis, toasties, pasta etc - but tasty.

Not sure if it is a hidden gem, but the Communist Museum is really good and well worth a visit. It covers the history of the country during that period and is fascinating.

My other recommendation would be an ice hockey game. The Czechs love their hockey and the atmosphere is always brilliant. Prices are dirt cheap and you can get a beer and a hot dog to take to your seat.

Just more generally, the trains, Metro and trams are efficient and cheap and easy to get tickets for. Just make sure you validate your ticket - there are plainclothes inspectors on the trams and the fine for an unvalidated ticket is hefty! While we use the public transport system we also use Uber and it has never been anything other than cheap and easy.

Final thing, everybody in central Prague especially, but also the outskirts and the likes of Plzen speaks English. It is the common language that the likes of the Russians use here (even though Russian and Czech are similar in many regards!), and the Germans and everybody else. However, almost all Czechs really appreciate it if you make even the smallest effort to speak their language. Please, thank you, hello, goodbye goes a long way. Also, though it is a changing country it is still very formal and polite, so knowing how to formally say a few phrases goes a long, long way.

Mibbes Aye
20-10-2019, 07:09 PM
Last thing MSS, I hope you and your partner have a fantastic time on your trip. Praha and Česká Republika are gorgeous places to visit, with some lovely people, great history and culture.

The beer is amazing but if you like wine, their white wines are great and if you order Czech wine in a restaurant the staff are almost always delighted (which I still don’t understand because it is really good!)

Lancs Harp
20-10-2019, 07:36 PM
Top effort Mibbess Aye :thumbsup: Im off to Lisbon for a few days to bring the New Year in, you havent got a travel guide for there too have you? :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
20-10-2019, 07:38 PM
You’re having a laugh!

I’m in Lisbon for New Year too, I have family there so go at least twice a year.

Leave it with me!

MagicSwirlingShip
20-10-2019, 09:12 PM
Legendary performance mate!!! Thank you kindly!!! Will digest this over Nightshift tonight

Mibbes Aye
20-10-2019, 10:45 PM
Legendary performance mate!!! Thank you kindly!!! Will digest this over Nightshift tonight

You are welcome. Hopefully if you try at least one it is a good experience for you and your missus :greengrin

There are no shortage of fantastic places in central Prague, it is geared up to offer food and drink to millions of visitors. But going just a bit further out can lead you to real gems, especially if you have even just the four or five basic words and phrases to get served in a bar or restaurant and say thank you.

Final point, every time we have ever been in Prague, we always at some point spend a couple of hours grabbing an outdoors table in one of the Old Town Square bars and having a bottle of wine and maybe some food. It is mobbed, it is touristy, it is overpriced by Prague standards (still okay by Edinburgh standards) but it is an iconic location and the people watching is great!

Mibbes Aye
20-10-2019, 11:49 PM
Been to Prague 7 or 8 times with mixed sex groups and never had any issues. Other than Edinburgh it would be the European city of choice for me to live (if I could speak Czech beyond ordering beer and deep fried cheese).

:greengrin

Only just saw this. I think to survive in the Czech Republic you have probably got all you need language-wise. It is not easy to master.

Mibbes Aye
21-10-2019, 12:00 AM

Yeah, I saw :hide:.

Would definitely recommend it with the good lady friend as well - go to Belem and join the queues for the divine Pasteis de Nata

+1 for Lisbon - beautiful city, friendly locals and some really nice restaurants (we really liked one called BouBou's). Everything uphill would be my one complaint! Taxi drivers went on strike while we were there last September which caused an issue getting to the airport when we we were leaving, but sure that will all be sorted by now.

I stay in Lisbon a couple of times a year. It has definitely become more popular as a destination for stags and hens, even though it is essentially a working city like a Birmingham or the like. I think increased economy flights have driven that.

Certainly for stags, you have the chance to go to Sporting or Benfica or the more artisan Belenenses. And there is no shortage of culture to absorb, in between drinking, plus the chance to get out to the coast at Estoril and Caiscais, very easily by train.

The hills in the city streets are incredible though. Lisbon had a massive earthquake in 1755 which practically destroyed the city. As a consequence it undulates massively. You can turn a corner onto a street, especially in the old town and it is a steep drop, you wouldn’t turn down a parachute, then all of a sudden a short steep rise, then another drop or vice versa. Sturdy well-gripped shoes are recommended if you are out and about.

Mibbes Aye
21-10-2019, 12:44 AM
Top effort Mibbess Aye :thumbsup: Im off to Lisbon for a few days to bring the New Year in, you havent got a travel guide for there too have you? :greengrin

I posted about Lisbon attractions recently but can’t remember which forum and the search engine didn’t give me anything back. I will try and summarise what I remember posting.

If you are there for New Year are you on a boat? They put boats out into the River Tagus to see the fireworks etc. That’s what we are doing though it wasn’t me who booked it, so if you want more detailed advice let me know and I will ask.

If you are there for New Year then I’m not sure what the deal is with shops and tourist attractions being open. Despite having been there a number of times it is my first New Year. Again, I can ask.

There is also another poster on here, maybe danhibees1875, who I think has some strong Portuguese connections.

When there I stay in Campo d’Ourique, which is central, but not city centre. If you are anywhere near there I can recommend places. It is near Estrella, which has a cathedral and park and is a bit of a landmark, it is on the tram route that all the guidebooks recommend, but that tram is notoriously bad for pickpockets and I have even challenged one on one occasion.

Sporting and Benfica are easy to get to via the Metro, Sporting especially. They both have dedicated Metro stations and you can buy and print tickets online from the U.K. Both clubs have shops in the city centre as well as their stadium. Belenenses are the outsider team and have a history with us - Hibs were their first European opponents. They used to play in a funny little stadium on the outskirts but went through some sort of ownership crisis. The top-flight team now play in the city centre, but a newly-formed team play in the old stadium but at the very bottom of the pyramid.

Places to visit? In the centre there are bars along the Tagus, culminating in Praça de Comércio, which is a big massive square with a bunch of bars with outside seating. ‘Can the Can’ is our favourite, close to the steps to the Metro station, far left as you enter the square from the main avenue.

There is a Museum up towards the castle, which covers the secret police during the years of the dictatorship and it is astonishingly good.

As has been mentioned before, Belem is a good trip. It is thirty to forty minutes on the train from the central station of Cais de Sodres. There is an outstanding gallery, a castle, a huge monument to the Portuguese explorers from the Middle Ages and a monastery that is a World Heritage Site. And the original Belenenses ground and the world-famous shop that does the custard tarts:greengrin

Also down by Cais de Sodre is TimeOut, a massive food hall full of pop-up restaurants offering every kind of food you could think of. You place your order, take a radio alarm and find a seat at the swathes and swathes of bench tables until your order is ready to collect. It is always heaving and always good.

Perhaps the other thing to highlight is that Cais de Sodres, IIRC, is where you get the ferry across the Tagus and onto what I think is technically the Setubal peninsula. Two reasons for doing this. First is that when you come out the ferry docking area and start walking up the cobbled main street , there are half a dozen excellent and cheap restaurants serving exquisite fish dishes. Not fancy cooking, things like seafood and rice in a cauldron, but super-fresh and super-tasty. The second reason is that crossing the river and jumping on a readily available shuttle bus takes you up the hill to Cristo del Rey, the simply massive statue of Jesus, that looks over the city of Lisbon. You can take a lift up to the viewing gallery, it is simply immense in size and you can’t go to Lisbon and not see it and go up it.

Asides from that, I would heartily recommend the Oriental Museum. Portugal was a colonial nation and had interests in South Asia and East Asia. The museum is fantastic (and also has a fabulous restaurant on the top floor). For those of us of a certain generation who fondly remember the TV programme ‘Monkey’, they have a number of exhibits that will bring the memories flooding back :greengrin

Also from Cais de Sodres you can get the train out to Estoril and Caiscais in well under an hour. Beaches, waterfront bars, promenades, all very nice. If you think you will go there and if you like fish, there is an outstanding restaurant in Caiscais but I would have to ask the name of it as I forget. Basically, they stick some sides in the middle of the table - potatoes, salads etc - and then serve you four or five or six pieces of fish, perfectly fresh, as and when the chef has cooked it. Salmon, cod, bream, hake, can’t remember what they all were!

alhibby
21-10-2019, 08:08 AM
I posted about Lisbon attractions recently but can’t remember which forum and the search engine didn’t give me anything back. I will try and summarise what I remember posting.

If you are there for New Year are you on a boat? They put boats out into the River Tagus to see the fireworks etc. That’s what we are doing though it wasn’t me who booked it, so if you want more detailed advice let me know and I will ask.

If you are there for New Year then I’m not sure what the deal is with shops and tourist attractions being open. Despite having been there a number of times it is my first New Year. Again, I can ask.

There is also another poster on here, maybe danhibees1875, who I think has some strong Portuguese connections.

When there I stay in Campo d’Ourique, which is central, but not city centre. If you are anywhere near there I can recommend places. It is near Estrella, which has a cathedral and park and is a bit of a landmark, it is on the tram route that all the guidebooks recommend, but that tram is notoriously bad for pickpockets and I have even challenged one on one occasion.

Sporting and Benfica are easy to get to via the Metro, Sporting especially. They both have dedicated Metro stations and you can buy and print tickets online from the U.K. Both clubs have shops in the city centre as well as their stadium. Belenenses are the outsider team and have a history with us - Hibs were their first European opponents. They used to play in a funny little stadium on the outskirts but went through some sort of ownership crisis. The top-flight team now play in the city centre, but a newly-formed team play in the old stadium but at the very bottom of the pyramid.

Places to visit? In the centre there are bars along the Tagus, culminating in Praça de Comércio, which is a big massive square with a bunch of bars with outside seating. ‘Can the Can’ is our favourite, close to the steps to the Metro station, far left as you enter the square from the main avenue.

There is a Museum up towards the castle, which covers the secret police during the years of the dictatorship and it is astonishingly good.

As has been mentioned before, Belem is a good trip. It is thirty to forty minutes on the train from the central station of Cais de Sodres. There is an outstanding gallery, a castle, a huge monument to the Portuguese explorers from the Middle Ages and a monastery that is a World Heritage Site. And the original Belenenses ground and the world-famous shop that does the custard tarts:greengrin

Also down by Cais de Sodre is TimeOut, a massive food hall full of pop-up restaurants offering every kind of food you could think of. You place your order, take a radio alarm and find a seat at the swathes and swathes of bench tables until your order is ready to collect. It is always heaving and always good.

Perhaps the other thing to highlight is that Cais de Sodres, IIRC, is where you get the ferry across the Tagus and onto what I think is technically the Setubal peninsula. Two reasons for doing this. First is that when you come out the ferry docking area and start walking up the cobbled main street , there are half a dozen excellent and cheap restaurants serving exquisite fish dishes. Not fancy cooking, things like seafood and rice in a cauldron, but super-fresh and super-tasty. The second reason is that crossing the river and jumping on a readily available shuttle bus takes you up the hill to Cristo del Rey, the simply massive statue of Jesus, that looks over the city of Lisbon. You can take a lift up to the viewing gallery, it is simply immense in size and you can’t go to Lisbon and not see it and go up it.

Asides from that, I would heartily recommend the Oriental Museum. Portugal was a colonial nation and had interests in South Asia and East Asia. The museum is fantastic (and also has a fabulous restaurant on the top floor). For those of us of a certain generation who fondly remember the TV programme ‘Monkey’, they have a number of exhibits that will bring the memories flooding back :greengrin

Also from Cais de Sodres you can get the train out to Estoril and Caiscais in well under an hour. Beaches, waterfront bars, promenades, all very nice. If you think you will go there and if you like fish, there is an outstanding restaurant in Caiscais but I would have to ask the name of it as I forget. Basically, they stick some sides in the middle of the table - potatoes, salads etc - and then serve you four or five or six pieces of fish, perfectly fresh, as and when the chef has cooked it. Salmon, cod, bream, hake, can’t remember what they all were!

Many thanks for this, off to Lisbon Boxing day, return Hogmanay , looking forward to it

Mibbes Aye
21-10-2019, 11:40 AM
Many thanks for this, off to Lisbon Boxing day, return Hogmanay , looking forward to it

I love Lisbon, it’s just a down to earth city with great, cheap food and wine and some cultural gems. Hope you have a great time.

Lancs Harp
21-10-2019, 04:28 PM

Cheers mate thats outstanding. Really looking forward to the trip thanks for the info.:thumbsup: