PDA

View Full Version : Stadium roof collapses in high winds.

greenlex
10-08-2019, 06:59 PM
Wow.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/az-alkmaar-stadium-roof-afas-stadion-pictures-a9051571.html

iwasthere1972
10-08-2019, 07:03 PM
Hells bells.

Thankfully nobody was in the stadium at the time.

Joe6-2
10-08-2019, 07:31 PM
Thank the Lord no one was in the ground

Nakedmanoncrack
10-08-2019, 08:31 PM
Any Huns on it at the time?

MWHIBBIES
10-08-2019, 08:36 PM
Absolutely awful for the club, got to imagine that will take weeks and a lot of money to fix.

Peevemor
10-08-2019, 08:46 PM
Absolutely awful for the club, got to imagine that will take weeks and a lot of money to fix.If one part has collapsed then the risk is that it could happen elsewhere for the same reasons. I reckon the whole stand (or at least the roof) will be demolished and rebuilt.

StevieC
10-08-2019, 08:54 PM
I was in that stadium for a Europa cup game a few years ago. Nice stadium, in a nice town.
Interesting fact .. Alkmar is famous for its cheese market in the main square

PH91
10-08-2019, 09:06 PM
If one part has collapsed then the risk is that it could happen elsewhere for the same reasons. I reckon the whole stand (or at least the roof) will be demolished and rebuilt.

Yes, the roof appears consistent so along with rebuilding of the this part there could well be extensive remedial/strengthening works to the roof throughout (i would be very, very surprised if there was any demolition).

Will be interesting to see if it is a design or construction defect.

In either case, very concerning and thank goodness no one was in the stadium at the time. Could have been horrendous.

SouthMoroccoStu
10-08-2019, 09:59 PM
Dock hearts and rangers 3 points

wearethehibs
11-08-2019, 08:18 AM
I was in that stadium for a Europa cup game a few years ago. Nice stadium, in a nice town.
Interesting fact .. Alkmar is famous for its cheese market in the main square

Also been to a Europa fixture here, they played Astra in 2015. The stand behind the goal had a Scottish section in the concourse with memorabilia from lots of teams including Hibs. Their ultras (situated directly behind the goals 🤔) seem to have an affiliation with the Huns (had Union jacks and a No Surrender banner) but they had the whole stand bouncing and no horrible songs so will let them off.

jacomo
11-08-2019, 08:27 AM
If one part has collapsed then the risk is that it could happen elsewhere for the same reasons. I reckon the whole stand (or at least the roof) will be demolished and rebuilt.

Relatively new build stadium is it not?

If the other stands are of the same construction then it could be a very long and expensive rebuild.