PDA

View Full Version : NHC What's the latest that you've turned up

iwasthere1972
09-08-2019, 08:25 PM
Just for a bit fun. I've turned up in Motherwell once for a match that had been postponed earlier on in the Morning, I've been on my way to some games only to find out that they've been postponed (Most recent was Greenock a few seasons ago when the match was postponed as our bus was approaching the stadium and we all had to go to the local pub and drink beer....it was a struggle) but what the latest that you've turned up for a match?

Mine if I remember correctly was in 1973 against Rangers (remember them?) at Ibrox in the Scottish Cup. Left Edinburgh on the train and at that time I think we all thought that the train driver had gone the wrong way as we ended up in Motherwell before going on to Glasgow. Arrived in Ibrox just after half time with a hun wanting a fight. Told him to do one and he did. :greengrin Game finished 1-1 and unfortunately we lost the replay a few days later at Easter Road. There was 49,000 there with loads of supporters locked out including yours truly.

What was yours?

erin go bragh
09-08-2019, 08:39 PM
The Bonnyrigg Hibs bus of the 80s , once broke down on route to Aberdeen , then our replacement bus broke down in Dundee .We ended up on a Dundee Tay double decker . The bonus being ,every time they broke down ,was outside a boozer :) think we got to the game sometime in the second half .

Hibbyradge
09-08-2019, 08:41 PM
I drove from York to Tannadice via South Gyle in the early 80s abd turned up for the game at half time.

We were losing 5-0.

CMurdoch
09-08-2019, 08:51 PM
I drove from York to Tannadice via South Gyle in the early 80s abd turned up for the game at half time.

We were losing 5-0.

****, that's dedication/madness :wink:

Bristolhibby
09-08-2019, 08:53 PM
Missed the first two goals in the 4-0 demolition of the Huns on Bixing Day a few years ago. My flight from Heathrow was due in to Edinburgh at 09:30, ended up sitting on the tarmac for an hour and a half. Got to the gate as the second went in.

J

iwasthere1972
09-08-2019, 09:03 PM

We were losing 5-0.

Are you sure that that wasn't the FT score and that it was only 2-0 at HT

Turnbullsmate
09-08-2019, 09:06 PM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/classic-match-hearts-0-hibs-4-sept-18-1965-1-1197434

Missed all four cos my old man fancied one more pint in the Wheatie... i was 9 yrs old and left standing outside while he had his swallae'

Just got our place in time at the school end to see corky volley the first of 7 on THAT day. Otherwise usually in to see the green emerge from the tunnel. Feeling and excitement of that has never left my old bones.....oops nearly said boner there :drunk:

Kris1875
Me and the missus rocked up just before half time in the Scottish cup semi v Falkirk . Damn you train station bar !!

Iggy Pope
****, that's dedication/madness :wink:

I knew that version of Hibbyradge well and I reckon you’ve got it 50% right.

NthCarolinaHibs
09-08-2019, 09:07 PM
Back in the 70's,at Easter Road,final game of the season,after an afternoon in Mac's Bar,we rolled in to the old enclosure with about 15 minutes to go,with the score at 7-2 for Hibs,to see three more goals..9-3 final score...

Iggy Pope
09-08-2019, 09:09 PM
Back in the 70's,at Easter Road,final game of the season,after an afternoon in Mac's Bar,we rolled in to the old enclosure with about 15 minutes to go,with the score at 7-2 for Hibs,to see three more goals..9-3 final score...

You sure now?

green with envy
09-08-2019, 09:15 PM
You sure now?

:faf:

Hibbyradge
09-08-2019, 09:19 PM
Are you sure that that wasn't the FT score and that it was only 2-0 at HT

Hmmm My memory can't be trusted, right enough.

I know we lost 5-0 and I always thought that was the half time score, but I suppose it's possible I've been mistaken.

Iggy Pope
09-08-2019, 09:21 PM
Hmmm My memory can't be trusted, right enough.

I know we lost 5-0 and I always thought that was the half time score, but I suppose it's possible I've been mistaken.

We got a 5-0,pumping there maybe Jan 84, think it was SPs 21st. Maurice ****ing Malpas scored IIRC.

green with envy
09-08-2019, 09:24 PM
Back in the 70's,at Easter Road,final game of the season,after an afternoon in Mac's Bar,we rolled in to the old enclosure with about 15 minutes to go,with the score at 7-2 for Hibs,to see three more goals..9-3 final score...:confused:

I do remember a 9-1 and a 9-2 but not a 9-3 or is my memory getting worse than I thought.

The 90+2
09-08-2019, 09:26 PM
Half hour late the Southern bus was to the LC final against Livi, all of us running down the motorway. ****in waste that was.

Halmyre Hibee
09-08-2019, 09:30 PM
We played Meadowbank at Starks Park, Kirkcaldy in Skol Cup in 1990 and my mate booked a bus to depart from our bowling club. It was a midweek game and we were having a good few drinks before the game and the bus arrived. Due to the consumption of the said alcohol nobody noticed that we were going west instead of Fife until someone noticed some place names. After someone spoke to the driver he thought we were going to Kilmarnock not Kirkcaldy. Eventually he found a slip road and about turned. The driver didn’t know Fife very well and we missed the turnoff and ended up going through farmlands in Fife. No sat nav in these days. We got there in time for the ref to blow for half time. It ended 0-0 and Houchen scored in the final minute of extra time for a 1-0 win. My mate never booked a bus again.

iwasthere1972
09-08-2019, 09:36 PM
We got a 5-0,pumping there maybe Jan 84, think it was SPs 21st. Maurice ****ing Malpas scored IIRC.

Maybe

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=9878

Diclonius
09-08-2019, 09:43 PM
Thanks to Citylink being terrible me and my Dad turned up to the second half of Hibs Aberdeen under Mixu. Luckily (?) the game finished 0-0.

Flanny boy
09-08-2019, 09:43 PM
Half time at the 6-2 game it was worth it. GGTTH

Hibbyradge
09-08-2019, 09:44 PM
Maybe

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=9878

Yes, it was definitely that match.

So 2-0 at half time and 5-0 final.

I think my mate got thrown out twice during that game too. Or was he arrested. Or maybe it was a different game. :dunno:

I'm certain of nothing these days! :greengrin

iwasthere1972
09-08-2019, 09:45 PM
Yes, it was definitely that match.

So 2-0 at half time and 5-0 final.

I think my mate got thrown out twice during that game too. Or was he arrested. Or maybe it was a different game. :dunno:

I'm certain of nothing these days! :greengrin

:greengrin

NthCarolinaHibs
09-08-2019, 09:48 PM
:confused:

I do remember a 9-1 and a 9-2 but not a 9-3 or is my memory getting worse than I thought.

Well....it was definitely nine for the good guys 😂

Forza Fred
09-08-2019, 10:03 PM
In the mid 60’s for a midweek game in Kilmarnock.

Turned up at the supporters club but couldn’t get on the buses leaving as ithey would only take their own branch members.

Had the brilliant idea of getting a train to Glasgow and a bus to Killie

Mate and I raced up to the Waverley and put the plan into action.

Got in with about 10 minutes to go to find out we were getting beat and that Big John MacNamee had already been sent off.

Return trip was worse.

By the time we got to Glasgow the last Edinburgh train had gone, so being only 15 we went to the polis station, and they locked us up for the night in protective custody.

Got out next morning and between us we were just short of two train fares (lyesterday’s ticket not valid)
And made a long convoluted series of bus rides to eventually get into Edinburgh on Thursday afternoon.

Lesson certainly learned!

Eyrie
09-08-2019, 10:04 PM
Didn't get to Hampden until half time for the League Cup semi against Huns RIP in 1991.

Learnt my lesson and made sure I was very early for the final.

Perd Hapley
09-08-2019, 10:05 PM
turned up with 89 minutes on the clock to a 2-1 loss away to Dumbarton at the start of the promotion season.

Long story.

Edit: *cup winning season

lord bunberry
09-08-2019, 10:35 PM
Stranraer when we got relegated in 98. We arrived just before halftime, hibs scored and I mounted a one man pitch invasion. I was quickly arrested and taken away, I think I saw about 20 minutes. I’ve never drunk whisky before the football since.

Gloucester Hibs
09-08-2019, 10:46 PM
Turned up for a 2-1 win over Celtic in about 2007 with only about 40 mins to go! Was running late anyway and got my kick off time wrong by +1 hour! Had to get stewards to let me in.

Think it was Scott Brown’s last game for us and he scored as did Ivan and I luckily managed to see both. Think Deeks mibbes scored for Celtic?

The 90+2
10-08-2019, 12:41 AM
Turned up for a 2-1 win over Celtic in about 2007 with only about 40 mins to go! Was running late anyway and got my kick off time wrong by +1 hour! Had to get stewards to let me in.

Think it was Scott Brown’s last game for us and he scored as did Ivan and I luckily managed to see both. Think Deeks mibbes scored for Celtic?

Yeah Riordan scores for them Brown with a header equaliser and I think Ivan in the last min took it round the goalie. Lovely summer day too.

The Baldmans Comb
10-08-2019, 07:29 AM
I turned up once for a pre season friendly at 2:45pm and could understand why Easter Road and the surrounding area was so quiet as I was obviously in good time.

Turned out it had been a 2:00 kick off and it was actually half time.

A kind steward let me in and I sheepishly took my seat and then tried to quietly find out the score as scoreboard wasn't showing anything.

Tarrahib
10-08-2019, 07:42 AM
Well....it was definitely nine for the good guys 😂
If it was 9-1 it was against St Johnstone.I came down for the game but decided to go shopping with my wife instead and missed the game.Silly man.

Hibernia&Alba
10-08-2019, 10:11 AM
Night game at Tannadice. I missed my bus so caught the train on my own. Got in with about twenty-five minutes played, soaked to the skin on a typically dreich Dundee night. I think we won 1-0 and I got my bus back. I'm sure the game was on telly too, but, having a ticket, decided I wanted to be there. It would have been much easier to watch at home or in the pub.

green with envy
10-08-2019, 10:14 AM
If it was 9-1 it was against St Johnstone.I came down for the game but decided to go shopping with my wife instead and missed the game.Silly man.

Wrong... It was 9-2. It was 9-1 against Rosenburg.

BILLYHIBS
10-08-2019, 10:21 AM
4.26pm every second Saturday at Tiny 1962-67

I was brought up in Gorgie and we used to go to the local flea pit (Tivoli) to watch the Saturday Matinee

Back in the day they would open the gates 20 minutes from the end to let the long suffering yams oot

First time my young ears ever heard the sash :confused:

LTYF. :na na:

Hibernia&Alba
10-08-2019, 10:28 AM

I was brought up in Georgie and we used to go to the local flea pit (Tivoli) to watch the Saturday Matinee

Back in the day they would open the gates 20 minutes from the end to let the long suffering yams oot

This revelation has shaken me to my boots!

FilipinoHibs
10-08-2019, 10:29 AM
A couple of games I was a couple of minutes late. Missed Archibald scoring against Aberdeen. And our goal in a League cup game at home to St Johnstone which we lost to.

iwasthere1972
10-08-2019, 10:33 AM

I was brought up in Georgie and we used to go to the local flea pit (Tivoli) to watch the Saturday Matinee

I don't suppose you were there when Killie won the league.

BILLYHIBS
10-08-2019, 10:49 AM

Naw but remember the huge crowds walking along the auld railway at Hutchy from their buses parked at Chesser to Tiny at first I thought they were Huns so me and ma gang o rebels started chucking stanes at them as you do 😁

Broken Gnome
10-08-2019, 11:01 AM
Mid-90s v Clyde in the Scottish Cup. Hardly any cash machines were working so got there after about 40 minutes and didn't realise we were 1-0 down. Thought our equaliser was the winner and left early, which in turn made us miss our actual winner.

Iggy Pope
10-08-2019, 11:19 AM
[/B]
Wrong... It was 9-2. It was 9-1 against Rosenburg.

Neither of which were end of season either but I came out of Macs Bar a few times myself not knowing what day it was :greengrin

Bristolhibby
10-08-2019, 11:44 AM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/classic-match-hearts-0-hibs-4-sept-18-1965-1-1197434

Missed all four cos my old man fancied one more pint in the Wheatie... i was 9 yrs old and left standing outside while he had his swallae'

Just got our place in time at the school end to see corky volley the first of 7 on THAT day. Otherwise usually in to see the green emerge from the tunnel. Feeling and excitement of that has never left my old bones.....oops nearly said boner there :drunk:

My first ever Hibs game I missed the first goal for the same reason.

The old boys wanted another pint. Game was against Aberdeen 1988.

Celebrated in the queue to get into the ground.

J

NthCarolinaHibs
10-08-2019, 11:47 AM
Neither of which were end of season either but I came out of Macs Bar a few times myself not knowing what day it was :greengrin

I came out of Mac's bar a few times,not knowing what bar I'd just come out..😉

Stuart93
10-08-2019, 12:19 PM
Turned up 15mins late at the home tie of the brondby game.

Thought we were doing really well at 0-0 half time. To realise we were actually 1-0 down

portycabbage
10-08-2019, 12:40 PM
League game against Stranraer around 98 or whenever it was. 4 of us drove down. On the way we stopped for a comfort break at the side of the road. I leapt over some bracken to go into the trees a bit, but realised someone had chucked rancid yoghurt over it which was now down the back of my jeans from arse to ankle. Due to poor navigation and probably not leaving early enough we got to the game after halftime (we got let in free), but I was stinking so bad it was giving me the boke. I had to breathe through my mouth all the way home with the window open. We won 1-0 Stuart Lovell scored.

Keith_M
10-08-2019, 01:17 PM
Artisan bus on way to Ibrox, 1983. Driver suddenly turned off the M8 shortly before the Kingston Bridge and started driving in the direction of Clydebank (I think).

Once we persuaded him that the game was actually at Ibrox, he drove via some some back streets and through the clyde tunnel .only to get lost again and arrive at the Copeland end of the ground.

I think we got in just before half-time.

Bishop Hibee
10-08-2019, 02:00 PM
I had a prior engagement and turned up in a taxi to a midweek home game v Dundee Utd at the start of the second half. Andy Watson got sent off, we got stuffed and I think we ended up with 9 men on the park.

Killiehibbie
10-08-2019, 04:29 PM
Cappielow late 70's League Cup game got there about half an hour gone, about an hour before we had a shot at goal and Jackie Mac also got sent off. Parked in the docks sent the long way out and cost my dad an exhaust.
Or even later Skol Cup semi 1991 got in weeks late to find we were playing Dunfermline.

Turnbullsmate
10-08-2019, 04:33 PM

I was at the game that lost them the league Rab, Dundee 7 > **** 1.... Kenny Cameron hat-trick. At Swinie it was. Twice i have witnessed 7 against them on their home turd...i mean turf, silly me.

Turnbullsmate
10-08-2019, 05:01 PM

We were losing 5-0.

Funny diversion via South Gyle Hradge....were you bangin my Mrs while i was settting sail for green pastures ? :wink:

In the mid 60’s for a midweek game in Kilmarnock.

Turned up at the supporters club but couldn’t get on the buses leaving as ithey would only take their own branch members.

Had the brilliant idea of getting a train to Glasgow and a bus to Killie

Mate and I raced up to the Waverley and put the plan into action.

Got in with about 10 minutes to go to find out we were getting beat and that Big John MacNamee had already been sent off.

Return trip was worse.

By the time we got to Glasgow the last Edinburgh train had gone, so being only 15 we went to the polis station, and they locked us up for the night in protective custody.

Got out next morning and between us we were just short of two train fares (lyesterday’s ticket not valid)
And made a long convoluted series of bus rides to eventually get into Edinburgh on Thursday afternoon.

Lesson certainly learned!

Wasn't late for the Hibs /Dundee SC replay at Dens . 33,000 in attendance and Jocky Scott tore us a new one that night. As if that wasn't bad enough my "mates" pissed off before the final whistle and effectively abandoned me. Last train gone so i basically slept rough and caught first train home next day,

I was 15 i think and thinking back not a soul worried about me not arriving home from the game, No questions asked when i did eventually get home. Just another day for my parents who saw every Hibs game as an adventure for me and never knew how it would end.

Hibernia&Alba
10-08-2019, 06:33 PM
Turnbulls mate emptied. What happened there?

weecounty hibby
10-08-2019, 06:35 PM

You need to check out some other threads!! Car crash

Hibernia&Alba
10-08-2019, 06:36 PM

:hilarious

:taxi for TM. Over and oot.

cabbageandribs1875
10-08-2019, 06:37 PM

turnbull dumped him, he needs a new mate

Hibernia&Alba
10-08-2019, 07:27 PM

I only just took time to read his 'Mentalist' thread. Well that was awkward.....:offski:

jgl07
10-08-2019, 07:37 PM
I was working in London and was flying back to attend the replay of Hibs v Cowdenbeath in the Scottish Cup sometime in the early 1990s. My son would have been around 12 at the time and made his own way to the ground.

My flight was delayed and I jumped in a taxi from the airport to Easter Road. I arrived just before half time and while I was trying to find a way in, I heard the roar that suggested Hibs had scored, Pat McGinlay, if I recall correctly.

I eventually got into the Main Stand in time for the second half. My son was in the North Paddock so it too some further work to find him. Had he not have been at the match I would probably have gone home from the airport.

Hermit Crab
10-08-2019, 07:38 PM
Turned up at half time for a few games through work.

Phil MaGlass
11-08-2019, 12:24 PM
Turned up a day early once:confused: game was on the Sunday, bollox.
Also went to school on a bloody Saturday and went to work when it was a holiday FFS.
Brain just goes into autopilot.