PDA

View Full Version : Announcement Pat McGinlay Article

HibsTalk
09-08-2019, 05:44 PM
Stuart has done an article on Pat McGinlay. This is the first of many in a weekly series discussing player who had 2 or more spells at the club and how each compared.

Let us know what you think and what's your favourite McGinlay memory?

https://HibsTalk.com/hibee-returns-pat-mcginlay

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

beensaidbefore
09-08-2019, 07:54 PM
Stuart has done an article on Pat McGinlay. This is the first of many in a weekly series discussing player who had 2 or more spells at the club and how each compared.

Nice jog down memory lane. Absolutely loved him when I was a kid. Him and Keith Keith Keith were my heroes.

HibsTalk
09-08-2019, 08:06 PM
Nice jog down memory lane. Absolutely loved him when I was a kid. Him and Keith Keith Keith were my heroes.My Dad knew he was doing parenting right when as a 4 year old I would run about the house shouting "Keith Keith Keith Keith Keith Keith..."

Renfrew_Hibby
09-08-2019, 09:11 PM
Pat scored the first ever goal I saw in the flesh.
The first in a 2-0 win away to Ayr on our way to winning the Skol Cup.

iwasthere1972
09-08-2019, 09:41 PM
I remember running around shouting Keith Keith Keith.

Problem is that it was at work three years ago when Keith popped into the office.

PaulSmith
09-08-2019, 10:29 PM

Scoring at Ibrox in 91 in a game that we should’ve won bar for a Tortolano nightmare.

A boyhood hero for me.

FilipinoHibs
09-08-2019, 10:53 PM
I remember running around shouting Keith Keith Keith.

Problem is that it was at work three years ago when Keith popped into the office.

I met Keith on the beach at Portobello before he signed for Hibs. Was playing football with my boys and he joined in. Turns out his wife was a pupil in one of my wife's classes at Tynecastle. We all went for coffee and Keith told us he was signing for Hibs. Was over the moon of course. The rest is history. No Hibs net so could not share one
If my rate ITK.

lord bunberry
09-08-2019, 11:45 PM
Scoring at Ibrox in 91 in a game that we should’ve won bar for a Tortolano nightmare.

A boyhood hero for me.
Was that the 4-2 game? I was at that one. The hibs end was sold out so me and my mate headed through and bought tickets from the rangers ticket office as it was a midweek game. Hibs went 1-0 up and we kept it together. It was 1-0 at halftime and we were in the old enclosure below the main stand. Rangers went 2-1 up before we equalised, we went absolutely mental and the huns started attacking us. If it hadn’t been for the stewards intervening we would’ve taken a right kicking. I didn’t realise it at the time, but that was where all the nutters went. The boldness of youth :greengrin

Dr Jimmy
10-08-2019, 12:00 AM
I met Keith on the beach at Portobello before he signed for Hibs. Was playing football with my boys and he joined in. Turns out his wife was a pupil in one of my wife's classes at Tynecastle. We all went for coffee and Keith told us he was signing for Hibs. Was over the moon of course. The rest is history. No Hibs net so could not share one
If my rate ITK.

Bet the only Coffee choice you had back then was brown sugar or white 😂

Turnbullsmate
10-08-2019, 12:23 AM
Bet the only Coffee choice you had back then was brown sugar or white 😂

Or a cappuccino a la Baldric

DickieDastardly
10-08-2019, 12:45 AM
Before he properly broke into the team he came off the Bench away to Leige in the UEFA cup and scored at 0-0 only for it to be chalked off. A phenomenal 40yrd strike then knocked us out... (if I remember correctly)

FilipinoHibs
10-08-2019, 01:06 AM
Bet the only Coffee choice you had back then was brown sugar or white ��

Yup. In Beach side cafe instant Nescafe��

Bishop Hibee
10-08-2019, 08:33 AM
He scored a Van Basten-esque volley at ER to open the scoring v Celtc in a game they won 1-4 to win the league I think.

Fighting with Pasqualle Bruno and both only getting a yellow card at ER.

SideBurns
10-08-2019, 08:59 AM
Before he properly broke into the team he came off the Bench away to Leige in the UEFA cup and scored at 0-0 only for it to be chalked off. A phenomenal 40yrd strike then knocked us out... (if I remember correctly)

I was in Liege that night, and honestly don't remember that. Was an incredible winner though. Think Johnny Collins hit the bar before they scored too? It was a long day on the Jupiler beer...

Brummie_Hibs
10-08-2019, 09:04 AM
Hairdressing

BILLYHIBS
10-08-2019, 09:07 AM
I was in Liege that night, and honestly don't remember that. Was an incredible winner though. Think Johnny Collins hit the bar before they scored too? It was a long day on the Jupiler beer...

Brilliant strike by the Belgian like an Exocet missile to the top corner hit the staunchion and Only Twp Gorams tried to play on as though nothing had happened by rolling the ba oot to the full back in an attempt to fool the referee :greengrin

SideBurns
10-08-2019, 09:10 AM
Brilliant strike by the Belgian like an Exocet missile to the top corner hit the staunchion and Only Twp Gorams tried to play on as though nothing had happened by rolling the ba oot to the full back in an attempt to fool the referee :greengrin

Vague recollection of that Billy! Have a memory that Liege's auld stadium was a bit like a typical Scottish ground (Love Street, Firhill, Cappielow)? Might be talking s#@#e though.

BILLYHIBS
10-08-2019, 09:13 AM
Vague recollection of that Billy! Have a memory that Liege's auld stadium was a bit like a typical Scottish ground (Love Street, Firhill, Cappielow)? Might be talking s#@#e though.

Remember the first leg

We got a penalty and Andy Goram ran the length of the pitch to make sure Houchy took it as he was Captain and was on Houchy first goal

He missed! :confused:

BILLYHIBS
10-08-2019, 09:17 AM
Goals McGinley was a Hibernian Hero

We loved him and he loved our club so much he came back for a second spell

374 appearances 79 goals from midfield :greengrin

SideBurns
10-08-2019, 09:34 AM
Goals McGinley was a Hibernian Hero

We loved him and he loved our club so much he came back for a second spell

374 appearances 79 goals from midfield :greengrin

Free transfer from Blackpool - definitely one of Lexo's best signings. Pat was great at attacking the ball in the air too, dangerous at set pieces.

weecounty hibby
10-08-2019, 09:40 AM
It definitely was. Old style terracing. The guy who scored went on to play for Newcastle I think. Philippe Albert. Hit it with his wrong foot as well. Goran said that he saw the ball go to Albert's wrong side and started shouting at the defence to get out as he thought it would be a ball back into the box so wasn't watching the shot properly. Also said he genuinely didn't think it has gone in. My first European adventure. Still have an RSC Liege scarf somewhere

weecounty hibby
10-08-2019, 09:41 AM
Back on track Pat was one of the best signings we have ever made I would think. Great service to the club and a cup winner

SideBurns
10-08-2019, 09:55 AM
Back on track Pat was one of the best signings we have ever made I would think. Great service to the club and a cup winner

Definitely. One daft memory I have was after he equalised in the last minute v Celtic up at the Dunbar End, with a typical McGinlay header from a corner. Bedlam around ER. My dad was a steward on the touchline at the east terracing side, and supposed to be watching the crowd rather than the gemme. However, from kick off the ball was lumped up towards Tam McIntyre, who promptly played a short pass back which almost allowed (I think) Charlie Nicholas to score. Ma auld man turned around and screamed, "McIntyre! What the f##k are ye daein'??"

The polisman who was standing with my dad just looked at him and laughed 😁

Niffy
10-08-2019, 12:42 PM

Barman Stanton
10-08-2019, 12:44 PM
One of my favourite Hibs players. Strangely one of my memories of him are saying ‘hi Margret’ on an old Hibs video.

PaulSmith
10-08-2019, 02:52 PM
Was that the 4-2 game? I was at that one. The hibs end was sold out so me and my mate headed through and bought tickets from the rangers ticket office as it was a midweek game. Hibs went 1-0 up and we kept it together. It was 1-0 at halftime and we were in the old enclosure below the main stand. Rangers went 2-1 up before we equalised, we went absolutely mental and the huns started attacking us. If it hadn’t been for the stewards intervening we would’ve taken a right kicking. I didn’t realise it at the time, but that was where all the nutters went. The boldness of youth :greengrin

The very one [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beensaidbefore
10-08-2019, 03:57 PM
My Dad knew he was doing parenting right when as a 4 year old I would run about the house shouting "Keith Keith Keith Keith Keith Keith..."

:greengrin

leithsansiro
10-08-2019, 05:12 PM
Pat is definitely one of those players who played in the wrong time. I genuinely struggle to think of a context where a Scottish midfielder would top score for Celtic and fail to be capped. Would surely have made enough money if he played nowadays to retire happily on.

Hibs was definitely his home and I was a bit sad to see him eventually leave and play elsewhere.