PDA

View Full Version : Style of play - does it matter?

onthefence
09-08-2019, 11:56 AM
The two edinburgh clubs have two different styles of play “traditionally”. Hibs are known as the side who like to play football. Hearts meanwhile are more physical and go back to front.

My question to you guys as fans - If your winning do you care about the style? When I say winning I don’t mean a one off game. Would you be happy with a Sam allerdyce style of play all season if it meant consistently finishing in the top 1/2 places in league and doing well in the cups?

matty_f
09-08-2019, 11:56 AM
I'd give up football if I had to watch Hearts every week, if that helps?

onthefence
09-08-2019, 11:59 AM

Haha - yes but hearts aren’t top of the league or winning consistently.

Allant1981
09-08-2019, 11:59 AM
If we won every single game I doubt it would matter, yes we want to see nice slick attacking play but results are what matter

matty_f
09-08-2019, 12:00 PM
Haha - yes but hearts aren’t top of the league or winning consistently.

Wait til September when the Duncans will have it won again.

heretoday
Perhaps these "traditional" characteristics apply in recent years but oldsters will recall Hearts teams that played fast attacking football and some of our lot who were crap.

WeeRussell
Winning is everything. If you can play good football along the way it's a nice bonus. However if we're going to be up one week and down the next, I'd prefer it to be whilst playing easy-on-the-eye attacking football.

I don't believe anyone for a second when they claim they wouldn't swap places with Aberdeen in the league (recent years) if it meant playing closer to their style of football. (Especially as we haven't actually played brilliant free-flowing football at ER for a long time).

Kato
09-08-2019, 12:03 PM
The two edinburgh clubs have two different styles of play “traditionally”. Hibs are known as the side who like to play football. Hearts meanwhile are more physical and go back to front.

My question to you guys as fans - If your winning do you care about the style? When I say winning I don’t mean a one off game. Would you be happy with a Sam allerdyce style of play all season if it meant consistently finishing in the top 1/2 places in league and doing well in the cups?

For Hibs to play a "robust" style would mean getting away with the type of fouls that Aberdeen/Hearts get away with (which is < than that which certain Rangers sides get away with). We will never be allowed that leeway. Another, more cautious style was employed by Alex Miller and we underachieved for years with that style. The most successful Hibs teams have always been whose which try and score for fun - sometimes one goal is never going to be enough.

The Modfather
09-08-2019, 12:03 PM

No. I go to the football primarily for enjoyment as well as the social side with it getting harder to get out and see friends with work and family. I’d eventually drift away if the football was sterile, yet effective, over a length of time.

blackpoolhibs
09-08-2019, 12:05 PM
If we were winning every week and challenging for the league, we'd need to build a bigger stadium, no matter how we played.

Sammy7nil
09-08-2019, 12:08 PM

The problem is in Scotland regardless how we play we will never consistently finish 1 - 2 and do well in the cups.

Therefore style of football does matter if we did well 3 - 4th in the league and consitently in cup finals fans would stick with it for 2 maybe 3 years. But look at Aberdeen the most consitent team behind Celtic for years you could not pay me to watch them week after week it is just dire stuff get a goal in fron no matter how then kick anything that moves.

So in summary short tem I think Hibs fans will go along with it longer term withouit a trophy year on year thay wont.

Sammy7nil
09-08-2019, 12:11 PM
If we were winning every week and challenging for the league, we'd need to build a bigger stadium, no matter how we played.

Yeah for the first 2 years then watch the crowds drop unless you were going for the treble treble of course :wink:

JimBHibees
09-08-2019, 12:17 PM

Ditto :greengrin

Northernhibee
09-08-2019, 12:19 PM
If the winning goal on 21st May had come from a 60 yard lump up the pitch I wouldn't have cared.

I want Hibs to win.

The 90+2
09-08-2019, 12:21 PM
It depends if it’s winning football or not. If it’s ***** play like hearts do and losing like we did under Williamson or Fenlon it’s brutal.

If we bore teams off the park playing one up top finish third, make Hampden and stuff hearts while doing so I won’t mind.

H18 SFR
09-08-2019, 12:24 PM
I care.

My_Wife_Camille
09-08-2019, 12:36 PM
Good thread and good question.

I understand where people are coming from when they say that they wouldn't care about our style of play if we were winning every week and it's hard to disagree but imo there's a reason why teams that adopt the 'Sam Allardyce' style of play don't consistently finish in the top 2 and do well in the cups.

For me, style is hugely important but not just on a superficial level. Imo a team that plays good football will generally be more successful than those who don't over the long term.

Saint Hibee
09-08-2019, 12:42 PM
We beat St Mirren on Saturday, but if we were to play like that every game I suspect I would slowly lose interest. It is meant to be entertainment after all.

theonlywayisup
09-08-2019, 12:43 PM
If Hibs, dominated Hertz for the next 20 years, constantly being many points ahead of them in the league and challenging for (and winning) the league and cups, then no the style of play doesn't matter to me.

The fact that the above doesn't happen then I'd be more concerned about the style of play. We need to be entertained if we are to continue to purchase season tickets.

1van Sprou7e
09-08-2019, 12:46 PM
I care, but results are more important

RossScott1991
09-08-2019, 12:51 PM
I pay £400 odd for ST so I like to be entertained. Ideally it’s good to play good football and also being able to mix it up and win ugly when the pretty football isn’t paying off. However I’d always like any Hibs manager to first and foremost try play an entertaining style. Because we are one of many clubs who are outsiders to win anything each year it’s nice to be able to go watch your team knowing there’s a good chance you will be entertained at the very least

Hopefully we ‘have a go’ on Sunday but I’m not sure we will.

weecounty hibby
09-08-2019, 12:53 PM
In my 46 years of watching Hibs I have probably seen perhaps 10 seasons of decent, attacking, football. Seen 2 league cup wins and of course the greatest day ever in 2016. I have also seen 3 relegations and dozens of let downs in cup semis and finals. I also had to watch Bertie Aulds team, Alex Miller's team (who admittedly have us a cup win and maybe 2/3 decent years), Williamson's team, Fenlons team, Butchers team. Would I like to see us winning 1-0 every week, bore teams into submission and win the league and a few more cups, you better ****ing believe I would. Remember 1-0 to the Arsenal? Yeah I bet their fans were gutted with the league and cup wins.

hibsforeurope
09-08-2019, 12:54 PM
We beat St Mirren on Saturday, but if we were to play like that every game I suspect I would slowly lose interest. It is meant to be entertainment after all.

I haven't been to any of the league cup/friendlies this season but was there on Saturday it was a brutal watch, much like most of this year. Even as a season ticket holder i can see myself not going every week to watch performances like that.

The 90+2
09-08-2019, 12:57 PM

In the same way if we play the same on Sunday and snatch a 1-0 i be delighted.

MWHIBBIES
09-08-2019, 12:59 PM
The best teams play good football. There is definitely a much lower ceiling on hoofball.

ekhibee
09-08-2019, 12:59 PM
If we play drab, boring football and still get beat then that puts pressure on the manager and rightly so. In recent times when we've beaten the old firm it wasn't because we played negative football. Obviously I hope I'm totally wrong but I think we will be easily beaten by Sevco tomorrow if we play the same way we did against St Mirren. As far as I'm concerned, Hibs fans have every right to expect an entertaining brand of football, I'm just concerned that apart from Scott Allen and occasionally Mallan and Horgan we don't seem to have any flair players that can really get the crowd going. That's just my opinion though.

Deansy
09-08-2019, 01:04 PM
Brought up on Turnbull's Tornadoes and I can still remember doing my paper-round on a Sat-lunchtime in approx 1 hour when Mon-Fri it took 2-2.5 hours - the excitement and anticipation of being virtually guaranteed to see top-quality, entertaining, exciting football spurred me on !

So preferably (and greedily !) it's flair/class & 3 points for me !

Keith_M
09-08-2019, 01:10 PM
Perhaps these "traditional" characteristics apply in recent years but oldsters will recall Hearts teams that played fast attacking football and some of our lot who were crap.

Yep, Hearts haven't always been into the more industrial style of play, but some of their managers in the last 30 odd years definitely have, e.g. Alex McDonald and Craig Levein.

They've also played some very good football at times, but I wouldn't like to watch their current team every week.

Also, as people have pointed out, it's a fallacy that Hibs have always tried to play attractive football. From Bertie Auld to Alex Millar (but not his mid 90s team), we've watched some negative football as well.

Winning first, attractive football second. Though I'm not sure I'd like to watch us if we played every game like Aberdeen.

lord bunberry
09-08-2019, 01:14 PM
Winning is everything. If you can play good football along the way it's a nice bonus. However if we're going to be up one week and down the next, I'd prefer it to be whilst playing easy-on-the-eye attacking football.

I don't believe anyone for a second when they claim they wouldn't swap places with Aberdeen in the league (recent years) if it meant playing closer to their style of football. (Especially as we haven't actually played brilliant free-flowing football at ER for a long time).
We played brilliant free flowing football under Lennon in the second half of the season in our first season back in the top flight. We were absolutely exhilarating at times and off the back of it we had record season ticket sales. Good football definitely matters to a lot of hibs fans, me included.

Keith_M
09-08-2019, 01:21 PM
We played brilliant free flowing football under Lennon in the second half of the season in our first season back in the top flight. We were absolutely exhilarating at times and off the back of it we had record season ticket sales. Good football definitely matters to a lot of hibs fans, me included.

Sadly many of the players we had then left at the end of that season. We didn't see much of that free flowing football under Lennon in the fhe first half of last season.

I genuinely believe Lennon wanted us to continue playing that way but it just didn't work with the likes of McGinn, Allan and McGeough gone.

I think our current coach has a different approach to the game and we'll just have to wait and see how it pans out.

Carheenlea
09-08-2019, 01:26 PM
“You guys”

Aim Here
09-08-2019, 01:29 PM
Style of play is just a comfort blanket that folks console themselves with when the results aren't as good as they should be.

So yes, it totally matters!

aljo7-0
09-08-2019, 01:43 PM
I think it does matter. Whilst I always want Hibs to win, I accept they will not win every game. It's a bit like my golf though, I know I won't play every shot well and will not win every game but I keep playing as inevitably I will play a few good shots each round that (to a degree) make me want to play again.
A few good passages of passing football, a few pieces of play that get me to my feet, a piece of skill - these are the things that keep me loving Hibs and coming back. Results do matter and I'm happier when we win (I'm not mad) but I love to see Hibs passing the ball about and that's enough to keep me coming back

WeeRussell
09-08-2019, 01:47 PM

Not looking for an argument mate and I know many will agree with you - but although it was far better than our championship style, I still wouldn't have called our football "absolutely exhilarating" at any point under Lennon. Maybe I'm overly fussy and negative though :greengrin

The 90+2
09-08-2019, 01:54 PM
“You guys”

Poster does know what threads to start heated debate in places. Give him that.

Scouse Hibee
09-08-2019, 02:08 PM
If we won “ugly” every week I could cope.

Not So Young
09-08-2019, 02:08 PM
I'd take 1-0 every week because we would win the league. When we get to that consistancy then I'll want to do it with style

Diclonius
09-08-2019, 02:31 PM
I'm fed up of all the whinging about us "getting kicked off the park" by "anti-football" or whatever, usually by Aberdeen or Hearts in the dark days. Guess what, it's a legitimate tactic - would you rather lose and moan about it or win and have other teams moan about you?

Kato
09-08-2019, 02:36 PM
I'm fed up of all the whinging about us "getting kicked off the park" by "anti-football" or whatever, usually by Aberdeen or Hearts in the dark days. Guess what, it's a legitimate tactic - would you rather lose and moan about it or win and have other teams moan about you?

Being robust is a legitimate tactic but it's baffling that some teams seem to be allowed to be more robust than others. When the tackle from behind was banned it seemed at times it didn't include teams that played in blue.

Kato
09-08-2019, 02:38 PM

S'true, different sets of fans have differing cultures. If Hibs had a team like the Tornadoes today you'd need more than the corners filled to accommodate the crowds.

jacomo
09-08-2019, 03:34 PM
I'd take 1-0 every week because we would win the league. When we get to that consistancy then I'll want to do it with style

That’s not how it works. First you have to decide how to play, then try and get the players that suit that system, then try and coach it.

For me, Football is the beautiful game and it’s about entertainment and dreams. Cynical hoofball is a legitimate tactic but I don’t want to watch it.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-08-2019, 03:35 PM
Don't see why a mixture of both can't work. Remember going to Livingston under Mowbray on a bone hard pitch and he said no football today, as the surface isn't fit for that. Shelled our way to 0-2 with no complaints.

Pointless hoofing is never great, but a decent target man the odd long pass is always a good plan B.

Sir David Gray
09-08-2019, 03:39 PM
I don't believe a Hearts approach would ever come close to winning the league so from that perspective I'm quite happy watching us at least trying to play decent football and plodding along in mid-table.

I agree with Matty, I'd rather give up football altogether if the alternative was watching Hearts every week.

we are hibs
09-08-2019, 03:47 PM
I want attacking passing winning football. They can both go together. The problem with lumping it is when you arent getting results. Eye bleeding punts into the corner for 1 striker to chase down isnt what people want to watch.

At least if you arent getting results but trying to play football there is an identity there and the fans can see what they are trying to do. Give me a hibs side looking to outscore the opposition but cant keep the ball out over a hibs side looking for 1-0 wins and going for draws away from home.

Since452
09-08-2019, 05:57 PM
If we win i couldn't care how we play. Saw us lose playing some of the best football I've ever seen under Mowbray. All about winning imo.

Unseen work
09-08-2019, 06:23 PM
With the exception of the 6 months we had Allan, McGinn, McGeouch, Ambrose etc where we were very good, I don’t think we’ve played good football at all of late.

It’s not been brutal or whatever, just wouldn’t class it as good, free flowing football

I also don’t think it’s overly important, if we win I’m happy. If we play good football and win then brilliant.

if you lose and play bad football though, there’s a problem.

We need a recognised style of play, where every player knows his role and it’s effective.

Solid defensively, never give anyone and easy game and creating and scoring plenty of chances. I’m sure every team in the world would want that, producing it is another matter.

brianmc
09-08-2019, 06:25 PM
It matters to me.
I've had a season ticket every year since 89 - so it's fair to say I've seen every variation of performance and result from the occasionally REALLY good to embarrassing, mind numbing dross and everything in between.
Here's my view: If all I cared about was the result I'd check online at 4:50pm on a Saturday to see what it was.
I don't though, I like watching football (hopefully winning football).
I've enjoyed some defeats way, way more on occasion than some wins (Hibs 3 old huns 4 in the Gazza days for instance was much better than some of Blobby's mind numbing 1nils).

In short: If ALL you care about is winning then Hibernian isn't the team for you - it'll only bring you misery.
And let's face it there's enough of that available in day to day life.

The fitba should be for a bit of escapism, tribalism even and enjoyment.

Onion
09-08-2019, 07:00 PM
Yes, of course it matters. I want to see attractive, free-flowing football and marvel at the skill of our players .... but not necessarily all the time. On occasion, I'm happy for Hibs to grind out a result.

Eyrie
09-08-2019, 07:03 PM
If Hibs are regularly winning cups and challenging for the league title then I wouldn't care about the style and would be pleased with the trophies.

The only effect the style of play would have is a simple one - I'd enjoy watching fast passing attacks and wouldn't bother attending if it was hoofball.

Nicho87
09-08-2019, 07:05 PM
Style of play matters when a manager says he wants high pressing fast attacking football and you’ve really still to see it....

Turnbullsmate
09-08-2019, 07:51 PM
Style of play matters when a manager says he wants high pressing fast attacking football and you’ve really still to see it....

Give it time Nicho...many of our players are probably having to re-learn the game as Hecky wants it played now. Won't happen overnight but when it does kick in i believe we will be a power. TEams will brick it when we win possession in attacking positions and the likes of horgan, allan, Flo or Doidge are further pressing their defences . Allan seems to get the pressing game but Mallan doesn't so it's a process of re-educating some.