View Full Version : Efe Ambrose

DetroitHibs
09-08-2019, 01:26 AM
Surely we should at least make an offer. The big man would improve us big time even though we don’t need cover at the back.

09-08-2019, 04:59 AM
Surely we should at least make an offer. The big man would improve us big time even though we don’t need cover at the back.

Burnt his boat for a few weeks at £10k a week when we offered him a three year deal and living in a great city. Silly man.

09-08-2019, 05:39 AM
We have probably now got two players for what we offered Efe

He is now 30 and will be lying on a beach somewhere

Some players and clubs are meant for each other

Efe was loved and we forgave him the odd “Efe moment “

The guy was quality

09-08-2019, 05:48 AM
I'm out of the loop here. Have Derby released him?

09-08-2019, 05:52 AM
I'm out of the loop here. Have Derby released him?

09-08-2019, 05:52 AM
Free agent

09-08-2019, 05:55 AM

Free agent

Thanks. Did he actually play for them?

I'd certainly take him back, if he fancies it. I didn't want him when he signed for us, but he proved me very wrong.

09-08-2019, 06:01 AM
Thanks. Did he actually play for them?

I'd certainly take him back, if he fancies it. I didn't want him when he signed for us, but he proved me very wrong.

No he didn't play any matches for them, at least not with their first team.

His last appearance was his final game for us on 29th December 2018 against Hearts.

09-08-2019, 06:02 AM

We have four central defenders already, it would make no sense to me.

09-08-2019, 06:06 AM
We have four central defenders already, it would make no sense to me.

He’s a big improvement on every one of them imo.

Sometimes you just need to take these opportunities, even if it leaves you with an extra player in that position. Players of his ability don’t become available to a club the size of ours very often.

09-08-2019, 06:17 AM

Sometimes you just need to take these opportunities, even if it leaves you with an extra player in that position. Players of his ability don’t become available to a club the size of ours very often.

Not for me, 4 right sided centre backs is a luxury we can't afford.

09-08-2019, 06:19 AM
Not for me, 4 right sided centre backs is a luxury we can't afford.

It’s not a luxury if it’s an improvement on the squad imo. It would be a luxury if we were signing him just to have another centre half of a similar ability. A bit like if we had 4 strikers already and Griffiths became available, I’d certainly not be calling signing Griffiths a luxury.

09-08-2019, 06:27 AM

I think the resources would be better spent on other positions where we don’t have as much cover.

09-08-2019, 06:31 AM
I think the resources would be better spent on other positions where we don’t have as much cover.

Agree we need wing back cover DM and striker

Efe can play both apart from striker

DetroitHibs
09-08-2019, 06:32 AM
The guy would improve us massively. The way he takes the ball from the back and literally glides up the park, we don’t have that. Can’t believe he’s never been on our radar. The guy could play easily five more seasons. Always fit, never injured.

09-08-2019, 06:38 AM
Efe is a great player and I loved him when he was here.

Unfortunatly I don’t see how we could justify it, we already have Porteous, Jackson, Hanlon and McGregor as first team centre half’s.

He would command a big wage which could go towards a position we are a lot weaker in - central midfielder, winger or striker imo. With his wage we could get 1 or 2 quality players id imagine.

He also hasn’t had a pre season as far as I’m aware so would be a good bit behind everyone else.

If we had enough money then absolutley, unfortunately we don’t.

04Sauzee
09-08-2019, 06:38 AM
Not for me, rather spend money else where and hasn't kicked a ball since Jan, doubt he'd be training on his own whilst he's looking for a club so will be miles of the pace.

09-08-2019, 07:02 AM
We currently have 9 first team defenders. Doubt we need anymore.

09-08-2019, 07:07 AM
Good player but he wanted more money so time to move, we need to strengthen in other areas so that should be a priority

09-08-2019, 07:10 AM
I get what people are saying about us having enough defenders however Ambrose is so good that I would consider selling/loaning one of our defenders to allow him to come in.

He's a class act and would undoubtedly improve us.

I don't see him coming back though.

09-08-2019, 07:11 AM
This is the Jason Cummings chat all over again.

Good player - yes
What the club needs - no

I wouldn't be unhappy to see him back but I'd question the managers judgement if he came in and we were still short a defensive midfielder and striker at the end of the transfer window.

09-08-2019, 07:15 AM
Agree we need wing back cover DM and striker

Efe can play both apart from striker

Efe cannot play DM.

09-08-2019, 07:20 AM
I read somewhere that he was chasing money with a move abroad.

09-08-2019, 07:37 AM
Efe cannot play DM.

According to his Wiki he does

You should know by now that I do not spout any old pish on HIBS.net without checking it first :greengrin

09-08-2019, 07:53 AM
According to his Wiki he does

You should know by now that I do not spout any old pish on HIBS.net without checking it first :greengrin

If wiki is your source for what positions players play then you are spouting pish :greengrin

Efe played midfield for Hibs once, at Kilmarnock, it was awful and we lost 3-0. He doesnt play DM.

09-08-2019, 08:06 AM
If wiki is your source for what positions players play then you are spouting pish :greengrin

Efe played midfield for Hibs once, at Kilmarnock, it was awful and we lost 3-0. He doesnt play DM.

Ha Ha!

The Bart Man disnae play ARM either but he played there for Livvy on Saturday :greengrin

I thought he was going to have a nose bleed :greengrin

The Wireless
09-08-2019, 08:12 AM
Eve has gone however never forgotten. His ship has sailed regarding Hibs.:agree:

James310
09-08-2019, 08:27 AM
At the moment his weekly wage is £0. He is a professional footballer who has no club. If he gets a decent offer elsewhere then good luck to him, but it would be silly not to sound him out. If his demands are not silly then why not? He would improve the team and that's what we want to see.

09-08-2019, 08:29 AM
We have four central defenders already, it would make no sense to me.He can play anywhere across the back actually thought he was best at right back

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

09-08-2019, 08:43 AM
Efe cannot play DM.

He played DF for Nigeria.

09-08-2019, 09:01 AM
He can play anywhere across the back actually thought he was best at right back

We need a right back for Sunday

09-08-2019, 10:32 AM
We need a right back for Sunday

Is Whittaker injured?

09-08-2019, 10:37 AM
Is Whittaker injured?

Sorry forgot about him

He is quality :aok:

Torto7
09-08-2019, 11:48 AM
I'd have him back in a second. Even if he's put on 4 stone over the summer he'd stroll it.

09-08-2019, 11:57 AM
I would have him back. At least he's got a bit of class to go with the occasional howler.

09-08-2019, 12:11 PM
This is the Jason Cummings chat all over again.

Good player - yes
What the club needs - no

I wouldn't be unhappy to see him back but I'd question the managers judgement if he came in and we were still short a defensive midfielder and striker at the end of the transfer window.

Isn't that a bit of a contradiction? Isn't the Cummings we knew and loved exactly what we need? (I get there are arguments over his recent form and the league etc).

I'd love to see Efe back too - but see where people are coming from re the money it would cost for that position. I do wonder, however, if some of these people were the same that wanted us to splash-out, whatever it took, to bring Mcgeough back when what we really needed was a midfielder that tackles.

I think Efe would be our best defender if he returned. Therefore it can't be ridiculous to want him. Like most of these ideas though, I do not see it happening at all.

Turnbullsmate
09-08-2019, 12:21 PM
I would have him back in a heartbeat. Could see him taking a role similar to Le God and strolling it

09-08-2019, 08:03 PM

Main memory of him playing right back was a horsing at Aberdeen.

09-08-2019, 08:05 PM

He was easily at his best at Centre half. He did have a few decent games at fullback, but he did get roasted by GMS.

09-08-2019, 08:29 PM
was mowbray no after efe i see mulgrew left for wigan

09-08-2019, 08:34 PM
I’d love to have him back. There was none of this passing the ball about the back line for half the game when big Efe was playing, he was brilliant at bringing the ball out and setting up attacks.

09-08-2019, 08:43 PM

Mine is him coming in and doing brilliantly to replace a very out of form Gray and help us to promotion. Guess people remember different things.

beensaidbefore
09-08-2019, 09:08 PM
If ambrose was to come back with his tail between his legs I'd take him back, other than that, bugger him. I can't see that happening tbf. More likely sign for Lennon.

09-08-2019, 09:10 PM
I'd take him back. Good player.

tonyrougier123
09-08-2019, 09:16 PM

I really liked him at RB too.

Then SDG came back a man possessed after injury.and big efe was still striding up the park,best we have ever looked on the right,gray efe and boyle.

Would be delighted to have him back.

The club should be lookin to sign him imo.

10-08-2019, 12:12 AM
Mine is him coming in and doing brilliantly to replace a very out of form Gray and help us to promotion. Guess people remember different things.

Aye, it's funny, I don't remember him fondly at right back.

Was best in a back 3/5 imo.

10-08-2019, 07:42 AM
Aye, it's funny, I don't remember him fondly at right back.

Was best in a back 3/5 imo.

Having a back three fifths is a very attack minded formation.