PDA

View Full Version : NHC Tierney

Pages : [1] 2

Hibernia&Alba
08-08-2019, 06:34 PM
Does £25 million make him the most expensive Scottish player? I think he will prove a bargain for Arsenal; terrific young player. Who are the other expensive Scottish players?

green&left
08-08-2019, 06:38 PM
Does £25 million make him the most expensive Scottish player? I think he will prove a bargain for Arsenal; terrific young player. Who are the other expensive Scottish players?

Oliver Burke was the record before KT, £15m I think. SJM will cost more than him and Tierney combined (hopefully)

hfc rd
08-08-2019, 06:39 PM

I believe so. Then again, how much did Robertson cost Liverpool?

Gordon went for £9M from Hearts to Sunderland. Hutton went from Rangers to Spurs for the same fee as well, I believe?

HoboHarry
08-08-2019, 06:40 PM
I believe so. Then again, how much did Robertson cost Liverpool?

Gordon went for £9M from Hearts to Sunderland. Hutton went from Rangers to Spurs for the same fee as well, I believe?
Robertson went to Liverpool for 8M IIRC.....

Just Jimmy
08-08-2019, 06:40 PM
Robertson was 10mill I think. Mcburnie just signed for 20mill which is a joke.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Hibernia&Alba
08-08-2019, 06:41 PM
Denis Law joined Torino for £110,000 in 1961, which in 2018 prices (Bank of England calculator) is £2,405,275.59. Denis Law for under £2.5 million, how's that for a bargain!

Pretty Boy
08-08-2019, 06:41 PM
Oliver Burke was the record before KT, £15m I think. SJM will cost more than him and Tierney combined (hopefully)

Oli McBurnie broke the record just last week for £20M.

Hibernia&Alba
08-08-2019, 06:44 PM
Mcburnie just signed for 20mill which is a joke.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Oli McBurnie broke the record just last week for £20M.

I don't know if I've ever seen the guy play!

Hibernia&Alba
08-08-2019, 06:49 PM
When we sold Broony for £4 million, it seemed like a fortune. Celtc got a bargain.

KDY Hibs
08-08-2019, 06:59 PM
When we sold Broony for £4 million, it seemed like a fortune. Celtc got a bargain.

Not as much a bargain as Villa got SJM for, saying that, glad of reported sell on clause and even more glad he's not warming bench for deluded celtic.

Hibernia&Alba
08-08-2019, 07:02 PM
Not as much a bargain as Villa got SJM for, saying that, glad of reported sell on clause and even more glad he's not warming bench for deluded celtic.

Very true. He signed a new long term contract with Villa today, but there's a good chance he will move for big money at some stage.

08-08-2019, 07:04 PM
Denis Law joined Torino for £110,000 in 1961, which in 2018 prices (Bank of England calculator) is £2,405,275.59. Denis Law for under £2.5 million, how's that for a bargain!

Just shows you how utterly mental the transfer market has gone.

KDY Hibs
08-08-2019, 07:12 PM
Very true. He signed a new long term contract with Villa today, but there's a good chance he will move for big money at some stage.

What makes me chuckle is whilst celtic fans said he was a squad player, 1 year on rumoured values are higher than the cost of celtics first team, its a beautiful thing!

Hibernia&Alba
08-08-2019, 07:18 PM
What makes me chuckle is whilst celtic fans said he was a squad player, 1 year on rumoured values are higher than the cost of celtics first team, its a beautiful thing!

If he can have a good season in the Premier League, a huge bid from one of the really big boys is very likely. That would be the dream ticket for us.

Phil MaGlass
08-08-2019, 07:29 PM
I wonder how much a younger Broonie would be worth in todays english market:not worth:not worth

KDY Hibs
08-08-2019, 08:00 PM
If he can have a good season in the Premier League, a huge bid from one of the really big boys is very likely. That would be the dream ticket for us.

Agreed, and I'm confident it will happen!

Lago
08-08-2019, 08:49 PM
Fine player & going to a great club, worth every £.

percy veer
08-08-2019, 08:58 PM
I think hes highly over rated and will be out on loan in a couple of seasons, Celtic have played a blinder for the fee though.

Hibeesmad
08-08-2019, 09:03 PM
If he can stay fit then he will definitely have the resources, coaching and experience to develop into a top player. The atmosphere around Arsenal is the best it’s been in a while just now following this window therefore the fans will probably be patient with him too.

hibbydog
08-08-2019, 09:06 PM
I think hes highly over rated and will be out on loan in a couple of seasons, Celtic have played a blinder for the fee though.

They have. And if they don’t win the league by a mile the next two years there’s something seriously wrong. And if they qualify for the champions league the money they get will widen the already huge gap even further.

Well done to young Tierney though, really hope he does well

Nakedmanoncrack
08-08-2019, 09:11 PM

25M is virtually nothing in that market, and looks a bargain.

pacorosssco
08-08-2019, 09:36 PM
25M is virtually nothing in that market, and looks a bargain.

Same amount Tottenham paid for player two years younger but had a year in EPL. He should have gone two years ago but was loyal to Celtic. Good player wish him well.

Pretty Boy
08-08-2019, 10:02 PM
I think Tierney is a great wee player.

When we beat Celtic 2-0 last season we had so much success down their left hand side and exploited Izzaguire ruthlessly. In the Scottish Cup game when the score was reversed Tierney played and we got nothing like the same freedom to play. He also nullified any attacking threat we had from right full back because he's such a good out ball and so willing to get forward.

He probably needs a change of scenery and to step up a level to kick on again, you could argue his development has stalled a bit at Celtic. Going back a couple of years there probably wasn't a lot to choose between Tierney and Robertson but Robertson playing against top level opposition every week at Hull and Liverpool has pushed him on to another level. If Tierney can stay fit there's no reason why he can't do the same, he has all the natural ability to make it in England imo.

Hannah_hfc
08-08-2019, 11:43 PM
Most amusing thing is all the Celtic fans (mainly on twitter) greeting that he’s not a true Celtic fan for not being part of “10 in a row”... as if they would all turn down 6 figures a week to play premier league football.

Decent move for Tierney but I’m trying to work out if he will be starting 11 or squad player for Arsenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spudster
08-08-2019, 11:51 PM
I don't know if I've ever seen the guy play!

Lucky you, he’s mince

stokesmessiah
09-08-2019, 01:15 AM

Bull ****

bigwheel
09-08-2019, 05:17 AM
Lucky you, he’s mince

Do you actually think that ? Did the 22 goals in the English Championship last season just happen by luck?

Humo
09-08-2019, 06:22 AM
To be honest this whole debacle has just made me dislike Celtic even more. 25M for Teirney but they refuse to pay the proper price to any other Scottish club.

calumhibee1
09-08-2019, 07:45 AM
Do you actually think that ? Did the 22 goals in the English Championship last season just happen by luck?

I’ve admittedly not seen much of him. But he has looked rank when I’ve saw him. Admittedly his stats from last season would suggest otherwise though.

JimBHibees
09-08-2019, 07:51 AM
I think Tierney is a great wee player.

When we beat Celtic 2-0 last season we had so much success down their left hand side and exploited Izzaguire ruthlessly. In the Scottish Cup game when the score was reversed Tierney played and we got nothing like the same freedom to play. He also nullified any attacking threat we had from right full back because he's such a good out ball and so willing to get forward.

He probably needs a change of scenery and to step up a level to kick on again, you could argue his development has stalled a bit at Celtic. Going back a couple of years there probably wasn't a lot to choose between Tierney and Robertson but Robertson playing against top level opposition every week at Hull and Liverpool has pushed him on to another level. If Tierney can stay fit there's no reason why he can't do the same, he has all the natural ability to make it in England imo.

Hope he does well however he has struggled recently with injury so wouldn't say it was a certainty he will hit the ground running.

easty
09-08-2019, 08:11 AM
He’ll be a great signing for Arsenal. Very good left back.

I dont think, in the current market, they’ve paid too much for him at all. In a year he’ll be “worth” a lot more I’m sure.

ScottB
09-08-2019, 08:14 AM
Most amusing thing is all the Celtic fans (mainly on twitter) greeting that he’s not a true Celtic fan for not being part of “10 in a row”... as if they would all turn down 6 figures a week to play premier league football.

Decent move for Tierney but I’m trying to work out if he will be starting 11 or squad player for Arsenal.

They’ve given him the number 3, so that would suggest they expect him to play I guess!

Sylar
09-08-2019, 08:17 AM
Not sure I agree he's a great signing for Arsenal. Absolutely no arguments, Tierney is a cracking player, but his injury worries the past couple of seasons suggest he's a bit of a gamble.

I hope I'm wrong and he goes on to play the full season, make a name for himself and become one of the best players in the league - that will be good for the Scotland team (even if he does play the same position as Robertson).

Celtc will probably need to use the money to try and quickly get a new LB, as that Bolingoli looks absolutely howling.

calumhibee1
09-08-2019, 08:37 AM
Guys a crock. Very good player but he’ll never reach Robertson’s level due to never being able to stay fit.

Greenbeard
09-08-2019, 08:38 AM
Maybe so but what helped them enormously was the serious under-selling of SJM and his now £50m valuation, thus allowing Celtic to hold out for a record fee.
The SJM effect will prob continue and benefit the selling price of other Scottish based players eg McKenna.

GreenCastle
09-08-2019, 08:40 AM

I’ve said this before but think he’s over rated too.

Old Firm hype like the made up Morelos bids.

I’m interested to see how he will get on down south but I’ve watched him quite a few times and his right foot is awful. Yes I know Messi is all left but Messi is a genius.

Teams in England and abroad will target him.

I’m hoping Celtic don’t spend silly money on McKenna giving Aberdeen funds to play with.

Leitherhibs
09-08-2019, 08:43 AM
Guys a crock. Very good player but he’ll never reach Robertson’s level due to never being able to stay fit.

Very harsh, last season yes, but for 2.5 seasons he virtually didn't miss a game. Best LB in the english Prem within 2 seasons for me, much higher ceiling than Robertson in terms of raw materials.

Billy Whizz
09-08-2019, 09:11 AM

Seriously?

MrRobot
09-08-2019, 09:57 AM
For a young lad, his hip seems ****ed.

WeeRussell
09-08-2019, 10:31 AM
Very harsh, last season yes, but for 2.5 seasons he virtually didn't miss a game. Best LB in the english Prem within 2 seasons for me, much higher ceiling than Robertson in terms of raw materials.

Was harsh, yes. I used to think him and Robertson were hard to split (with Robertson being better going forward but maybe not as good defensively).

I now think Robertson is the better player, and Tierney won't get better than him.

Now they're both playing down there.. I hope they both continue to be brilliant and big players for Scotland. As it is right now, Robertson is rightly our left back and captain and I wouldn't necessarily shoe-horn Tierney into the team.

jacomo
09-08-2019, 10:37 AM
Was harsh, yes. I used to think him and Robertson were hard to split (with Robertson being better going forward but maybe not as good defensively).

I now think Robertson is the better player, and Tierney won't get better than him.

Now they're both playing down there.. I hope they both continue to be brilliant and big players for Scotland. As it is right now, Robertson is rightly our left back and captain and I wouldn't necessarily shoe-horn Tierney into the team.

Impossible to say. Tierney is only 22, and there is no way of telling how much he might kick on (as Robertson has done) now that he has moved to Arsenal.

Tierney does seem better defensively, Robertson maybe better going forward (I mean this in the proper footballing sense, not the lazy ‘in the future’ use of the phrase).

But they are both great players.

Only worry for Arsenal is Tierney’s recent injuries.

Marvellous
09-08-2019, 10:42 AM

Not like you to exaggerate :hilarious

170 appearances for Celtic and 12 for Scotland, just turned 22 years old.

BILLYHIBS
09-08-2019, 10:46 AM
IMHO Tierney is better than Robertson

My only doubt as others have said is Tierneys fitness

Did he pass a medical?

If he is fit and ready to go and no injury hangover brilliant signing

I cannot wait to see Robertson and Tierney lining up together for Scotland

PatHead
09-08-2019, 10:51 AM
IMHO Tierney is better than Robertson

My only doubt as others have said is Tierneys fitness

Did he pass a medical?

If he is fit and ready to go and no injury hangover brilliant signing

I cannot wait to see Robertson and Tierney lining up together for Scotland

How would you line them up in the same side? Typical that two of our best players are in the same position.

BILLYHIBS
09-08-2019, 10:57 AM
How would you line them up in the same side? Typical that two of our best players are in the same position.

Maybe bring back Whittaker then for a swan song 😁

MWHIBBIES
09-08-2019, 11:09 AM

Just the 40 appearances last season. He'll also be rested more for Arsenal, not playing in Europa or league cup will help.

Oscar T Grouch
09-08-2019, 11:11 AM

Is he though? In the 4 seasons he's been in the celtc squad he's played over 30 games in each one, in the last two seasons he's played 55 games and 40 games. Now I know celtc play a lot of games in a season but I think I crock would play way less than that? Given he is 22 and played 170 games for them that is pretty good going for a crock. I think Arsenal have got a bargain myself, a 22 yo full back who is only going to get better, signed a contract until he is at his peak at 27.

Speedy
09-08-2019, 11:25 AM

Tierney right back. We don't have one and I reckon he'd be better there than playing him centre half or with Robertson left wing.

blackpoolhibs
09-08-2019, 11:34 AM

What a crock of ****.

Maybe Arsenal will send him out on loan to see how he will improve before letting him loose on the EPL.

Not So Young
09-08-2019, 02:06 PM

I wouldn't say he is over rated but agree Celtic have done well with the fee.

He had to go south to continue to develop and I wish him well

calumhibee1
09-08-2019, 02:10 PM
Just the 40 appearances last season. He'll also be rested more for Arsenal, not playing in Europa or league cup will help.

40 out of how many? Celtic must play around 60+ games per season yet he’s only managed 40 more than once. That’s about one third of the games missed in 15/16, 16/17 and 18/19. Probably better, but not a kick in the arse off the games played/missed ratio that Dylan had at us.

He’s 22 years old, has so far missed 46 games through injury and isn’t due back until the season will probably be around 10-15 games in. 60 games missed at 22 years old. That’s a hell of a lot of games to have missed due to numerous different injuries at that age. At this rate he’ll have missed around 240+ games by the end of his career.

calumhibee1
09-08-2019, 02:11 PM
What a crock of ****.

Maybe Arsenal will send him out on loan to see how he will improve before letting him loose on the EPL.

I can see why you don’t agree, Arsenal signed him at the end of the window when all the good players become available so it’s pretty much a cert he’ll be a success going by the good old BH logic.

chrisski33
09-08-2019, 02:30 PM
Wonder how lennon will react if he isnt given money to buy a replacement

Golden Bear
09-08-2019, 02:34 PM
There are some legendary posts on this thread.😄😄😄.

When do the Schools go back?

jacomo
09-08-2019, 03:56 PM
I can see why you don’t agree, Arsenal signed him at the end of the window when all the good players become available so it’s pretty much a cert he’ll be a success going by the good old BH logic.

Why don’t you just hold your hands up and accept that your opinion that Tierney is ‘a crock’ is not supported by the evidence and therefore wrong?

calumhibee1
09-08-2019, 04:19 PM
Why don’t you just hold your hands up and accept that your opinion that Tierney is ‘a crock’ is not supported by the evidence and therefore wrong?

I’ve just provided “evidence” that he’s going to have missed around 60 games injured by the age of 22 with numerous different injuries. Going by his previous record you’ll no doubt be able to add another 5-10 before the seasons out and before he hits 23. The guy has had 3 fairly substantial injuries already. Ruptured ankle ligaments, groin surgery and his hip problem which keeps on re-occurring and has on more than one occasion kept him out for a matter of months. Crock.

I actually don’t even mind the guy. But his injury record is brutal for a 22 year old.

calumhibee1
09-08-2019, 04:20 PM
More sheite, good players are available all through the transfer window, but certain players become available later in the window, even someone as thick as you should understand that.

Aye of course BH. You’ve changed your tune now. Thank god we waited for the good players last year so that we could “build a team to qualify for Europe every year” as you told us. :aok:

blackpoolhibs
09-08-2019, 04:21 PM
Aye of course BH. You’ve changed your tune now. Thank god we waited for the good players last year so that we could “build a team to qualify for Europe every year” as you told us. :aok:

Hahahaha what are we building now, another unbalanced squad, full of crocs like SDG Daz and Hanlon?

And lets not forget Boyle.

Zazu62
09-08-2019, 04:27 PM
Out for 6 weeks

calumhibee1
09-08-2019, 04:28 PM
Out for 6 weeks

Will be the headline on and off throughout his career.

Since90+2
09-08-2019, 04:39 PM
I’ve just provided “evidence” that he’s going to have missed around 60 games injured by the age of 22 with numerous different injuries. Going by his previous record you’ll no doubt be able to add another 5-10 before the seasons out and before he hits 23. The guy has had 3 fairly substantial injuries already. Ruptured ankle ligaments, groin surgery and his hip problem which keeps on re-occurring and has on more than one occasion kept him out for a matter of months. Crock.

I actually don’t even mind the guy. But his injury record is brutal for a 22 year old.

In the last 3 seasons he's played 40 ,55 and 40 games. That's a total of 135 games.

As a comparison Lewis Stevenson, a guy who is generally seen as rarely being injured, has played 42,43 and 44 games. A total of 129 so 6 games less than Tierney.

You're right though , the guys a crock and never fit. Some chat.

mayo hibee
09-08-2019, 04:39 PM
Controversial view I know, but Tierney clearly has injury issues at a very young age and is completely unproven at the highest level (playing in Celtic teams getting smashed up all over Europe doesn't count for anything).

He may prove to be the standard of player that a lot of people seem to think he is but he could as easily be heading to Watford or Crystal Palace in a couple of years time for 5 or 6 million having failed at Arsenal.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's out of the game completely by 27 or 28 given his injury issues.

Sessegnon was a much better signing yesterday IMO.

mayo hibee
09-08-2019, 04:42 PM
In the last 3 seasons he's played 40 ,55 and 40 games. That's a total of 135 games.

As a comparison Lewis Stevenson, a guy who is generally seen as rarely being injured, has played 42,43 and 44 games. A total of 129 so 6 games less than Tierney.

Hibs play a lot fewer games than Celtic though. Also he, probably unwisely, played while carrying an injury for a good part of last season.

calumhibee1
09-08-2019, 04:42 PM

Being a crock is much more about the amount of games you miss than the games you play. The issue with him is the amount of games he doesn’t play. Not the amount he does play - which will be over 60 by the age of 22. 3 of his 4 seasons he’s missed around one third of Celtics games. That’s what makes him a crock.

Oh, and if you look at how many games Stevenson has played in a season as a percentage of the amount of games he could have played it’ll be an absolute mile higher than Kieran Tierneys.. which is the point. He is injured for a lot of games. Lewis Stevenson however is pretty much never injured.

MWHIBBIES
09-08-2019, 05:28 PM
I could write a list the length of my arm of players with injury problems at young ages who have got over them and stayed consistent. Messi, Xavi and Ribery all labeled "crocks" by dafties in the past. Neymar the opposite, played every game for years, injury problems now.

I think Arsenal's top class medical professionals will take care of him and he'll be fine.

Marvellous
09-08-2019, 05:30 PM
Being a crock is much more about the amount of games you miss than the games you play. The issue with him is the amount of games he doesn’t play. Not the amount he does play - which will be over 60 by the age of 22. 3 of his 4 seasons he’s missed around one third of Celtics games. That’s what makes him a crock.

:hilarious

calumhibee1
09-08-2019, 05:38 PM
I could write a list the length of my arm of players with injury problems at young ages who have got over them and stayed consistent. Messi, Xavi and Ribery all labeled "crocks" by dafties in the past. Neymar the opposite, played every game for years, injury problems now.

I think Arsenal's top class medical professionals will take care of him and he'll be fine.

And there’ll be a list of players as long as your other arm of players who have been injured loads when they were younger and continued with that. He may well go on to have no more injuries in his career. But so far he’s spent a lot more time than most 22 year old pro footballers injured. And the fact they’ve been numerous injuries rather than one 10 month spell on the sideline adds to the idea that the guy has injury problems.

MWHIBBIES
09-08-2019, 05:43 PM
And there’ll be a list of players as long as your other arm of players who have been injured loads when they were younger and continued with that. He may well go on to have no more injuries in his career. But so far he’s spent a lot more time than most 22 year old pro footballers injured. And the fact they’ve been numerous injuries rather than one 10 month spell on the sideline adds to the idea that the guy has injury problems.

He will probably take care of himself better at Arsenal which will further reduce injuries. Scottish footballers up here historically don't have the best diets and that leads to things like this. I think he might struggle this season, especially without a proper pre season, but from then on he'll kick on and be fine.

calumhibee1
09-08-2019, 05:44 PM
He will probably take care of himself better at Arsenal which will further reduce injuries. Scottish footballers up here historically don't have the best diets and that leads to things like this. I think he might struggle this season, especially without a proper pre season, but from then on he'll kick on and be fine.

I hope he does. Would be good for Scotland and he comes across as a decent enough guy.

Scouse Hibee
09-08-2019, 06:07 PM
Robertson developed in the EPL with Hull before signing for Liverpool. Interesting to see how Tierney copes with the pressure if he goes straight into the Arsenal team with top four expectations. I very much doubt he will be a first pick regular just yet.

brianmc
09-08-2019, 06:10 PM
Robertson developed in the EPL with Hull before signing for Liverpool. Interesting to see how Tierney copes with the pressure if he goes straight into the Arsenal team with top four expectations. I very much doubt he will be a first pick regular just yet.

Surely Tierney 'developing' at Celtic is at least at the level of Robertson's development at Hull?

Since452
09-08-2019, 06:13 PM
I think he's massively overrated. Never got the hype at all. Im in a vast minority though so that says it all 😂

Scouse Hibee
09-08-2019, 06:14 PM
Surely Tierney 'developing' at Celtic is at least at the level of Robertson's development at Hull?

Not in my opinion,developing in the EPL against far better players and teams is no comparison to Celtic’s domination of the SPL.

calumhibee1
09-08-2019, 06:56 PM
I think he's massively overrated. Never got the hype at all. Im in a vast minority though so that says it all 😂

He’s a good player. I don’t see him getting to Robertson’s level though who I believe is the best left back in the world. If he manages to stay at Arsenal and not drop a level then he’ll have done about as well as I think he’ll ever do.

Vault Boy
09-08-2019, 09:32 PM
What is worrying for Tierney are the kind of injuries he usually sustains. He seems very susceptible to muscular injury and is rarely out due to impact injuries. I hope I'm wrong for the sake of the national team (and by all accounts, the sake of a thoroughly decent young man) but I fear that could stunt his development significantly. Certainly when compared to Robertson anyway.

macca70
09-08-2019, 10:06 PM
What really pee’s me off about Tierney is how they make this big deal about how he is such a big Celtic supporter and he has this special relationship with the fans!!

Loads of players play for the team they grew up supporting and have good mates that will be in the crowd each week.

But it seems to be made a big deal of with Tierney, ok, we get it, he’s a lifelong Celtic fan!!

MWHIBBIES
09-08-2019, 10:31 PM
What really pee’s me off about Tierney is how they make this big deal about how he is such a big Celtic supporter and he has this special relationship with the fans!!

Loads of players play for the team they grew up supporting and have good mates that will be in the crowd each week.

But it seems to be made a big deal of with Tierney, ok, we get it, he’s a lifelong Celtic fan!!

It's not as if being a Celtic fan is something unique either, 40% of football fans in this country "support" them. A real achievement is being a lifelong Scottish cup winning Hibs fan, like Daz and Paul.

jacomo
10-08-2019, 07:49 AM
What is worrying for Tierney are the kind of injuries he usually sustains. He seems very susceptible to muscular injury and is rarely out due to impact injuries. I hope I'm wrong for the sake of the national team (and by all accounts, the sake of a thoroughly decent young man) but I fear that could stunt his development significantly. Certainly when compared to Robertson anyway.

These aren’t that unusual for a young player fast tracked into the first team as a teenager and who has played a lot of football.

Gerrard had loads of muscular injuries as a young player for example.

calumhibee1
10-08-2019, 07:54 AM

:agree:

Hibeesmad
10-08-2019, 07:59 AM
Same amount Tottenham paid for player two years younger but had a year in EPL. He should have gone two years ago but was loyal to Celtic. Good player wish him well.

Will be interesting to see who goes on to have a better career between Sessegnon and Tierney. Tierney no doubt already has a lot more trophies to his name but will be interesting to see where both players are at in 5 years.

calumhibee1
10-08-2019, 08:06 AM
Will be interesting to see who goes on to have a better career between Sessegnon and Tierney. Tierney no doubt already has a lot more trophies to his name but will be interesting to see where both players are at in 5 years.

Has Sessegnon not been more of a winger so far?

Hibeesmad
10-08-2019, 08:09 AM
Has Sessegnon not been more of a winger so far?

Think he’s played in both positions over the last couple of years, I would imagine Spurs have brought him in as a long term replacement for Danny Rose

Dashing Bob S
10-08-2019, 08:18 AM
Hibs play a lot fewer games than Celtic though. Also he, probably unwisely, played while carrying an injury for a good part of last season.

Could emulate Robertson at Liverpool, could be found out there, as was said, to work his way down the leagues and end up back at Celtic, a hollow billy big baws hovering up meaningless medals in the sectarian cesspool of Glasgow football.

Nobody knows.

But he's doing the right thing. Prefer the McGinn gamble to the Brown collect any day.

JimBHibees
10-08-2019, 08:26 AM
Not in my opinion,developing in the EPL against far better players and teams is no comparison to Celtic’s domination of the SPL.

Absolutely night and day quality wise. Tierney has imo always been a little vulnerable defensively to quality and will find that out with guys like Mo and Sterling running at him. Hope he does well.

Hibernia&Alba
10-08-2019, 10:35 AM
Liverpool paid a British transfer record of £440,000 in 1977 for Kenny Dalglish, which is £2,685,000 today. So you could have bought Law and Dalglish for £5 million combined at today's prices! The money in football (transfers, wages, ticket prices) has increased at multiple times the rate of inflation.

percy veer
10-08-2019, 12:31 PM
Bull ****

I said he was over rated no bull **** as you say

calumhibee1
14-12-2019, 06:39 PM

Injured yet again and seems like he’ll be out for about 3 months or so. Without going back and counting again, he was heading for about 70 missed games so far in his career when he came back from his last injury. Can throw in another 15 at least now so we’ll be looking at 85 or so games missed before he’s 23. Not a kick in the arse off two full seasons worth of football. Also not managed an international appearance in 14 months and is unlikely to be fit for the playoff games in March so we'll probably be looking at close to 2 years out of international football.

Shame for the guy, but he’s quite clearly going to have a career that is constantly disrupted by injuries.

Dashing Bob S
14-12-2019, 07:17 PM
Tierney is nowhere near Robertson. I think he'll be in the championship next season.

Golden Bear
14-12-2019, 07:21 PM
Outstanding player, unlucky with injuries, he'll be back, no doubt about it.

The 90+2
14-12-2019, 07:27 PM

Yeah, definitely! Good luck to the laddie.

The 90+2
14-12-2019, 07:28 PM
Tierney is nowhere near Robertson. I think he'll be in the championship next season.

Arsenal aren’t going to get relegated.

BILLYHIBS
14-12-2019, 07:31 PM
I actually prefer Tierney out of the two

He was a fantastic footballer for one so young did the simple things well and was difficult to get past a young man with a fantastic future

He really bulked up before his move and was like a wee pocket battleship

He has been unlucky with injuries but I have no doubt he will be back fitter and better

What happens with Scotland as they both play left back ?

Will one have to move over to right back?

Sammy7nil
14-12-2019, 07:35 PM
Liverpool paid a British transfer record of £440,000 in 1977 for Kenny Dalglish, which is £2,685,000 today. So you could have bought Law and Dalglish for £5 million combined at today's prices! The money in football (transfers, wages, ticket prices) has increased at multiple times the rate of inflation.

The TV money has multiplied probably more than transfers :confused:

calumhibee1
14-12-2019, 07:46 PM

He was a fantastic footballer for one so young did the simple things well and was difficult to get past a young man with a fantastic future

He has been unlucky with injuries but I have no doubt he will be back fitter and better

Tierney last played for Scotland at right back. I’d be very surprised if he got in at left back ahead of Robertson. Then again, Robertson has been crap for Scotland compared to his Liverpool performances.

BILLYHIBS
14-12-2019, 08:05 PM
Tierney last played for Scotland at right back. I’d be very surprised if he got in at left back ahead of Robertson. Then again, Robertson has been crap for Scotland compared to his Liverpool performances.
Robertson is excellent in Liverpool’s system but I have always felt Tierney is the better of the two he just needs to get over this latest injury setback kick on and show the EPL what a good player he is

The 90+2
14-12-2019, 08:46 PM
Robertson is excellent in Liverpool’s system but I have always felt Tierney is the better of the two he just needs to get over this latest injury setback kick on and show the EPL what a good player he is

Robertson was the best player in the league when at Dundee Utd. He was then a standout for Hull in the EPL. Respect your opinion though Billy but for me Tierney has quite a journey ahead to get to Robertson’s level.

Zazu62
14-12-2019, 09:16 PM
25 million for Tierney and we got 3 for McGinn 😂😂😂😂

BILLYHIBS
14-12-2019, 09:21 PM
Robertson was the best player in the league when at Dundee Utd. He was then a standout for Hull in the EPL. Respect your opinion though Billy but for me Tierney has quite a journey ahead to get to Robertson’s level.

Time will tell Robertson is well ahead of him at this point in time

Tierney got it all to do

Dunno about being the best player in the league he only played 36 times for the Arabs but he did win PFA young player of the year award

Agree a very good player

Speedy
14-12-2019, 09:37 PM

We've struggled to get 1 left back at times recently. Will happily take the problem of having 2.

BILLYHIBS
14-12-2019, 09:58 PM
We've struggled to get 1 left back at times recently. Will happily take the problem of having 2.

Back in the day we had three world class right backs Brownlie up until he broke his leg Jardine and McGrain as far as I know Jardine and McGrain never played in the same Scotland team

That was why I asked the question

The 90+2
14-12-2019, 10:01 PM

The Glaswegian Roberto Carlos plays left back at the PBS too. No problem

Tomsk
14-12-2019, 10:18 PM
Back in the day we had three world class right backs Brownlie up until he broke his leg Jardine and McGrain as far as I know Jardine and McGrain never played in the same Scotland team

That was why I asked the question

Billy, that is simply not true. For instance, at the 1974 World Cup Jardine was right back and McGrain left back in all three games. They often played in the same side.

tamig
14-12-2019, 10:45 PM
Billy, that is simply not true. For instance, at the 1974 World Cup Jardine was right back and McGrain left back in all three games. They often played in the same side.

Exactly. McGrain played a lot at left back with Jardine on the right.

Purple & Green
14-12-2019, 10:52 PM
Exactly. McGrain played a lot at left back with Jardine on the right.

http://www.fitbastats.com/scotland/player3.php?playerid=814

They started in the same Scotland team together 20 times.

vuefrom1875
14-12-2019, 11:10 PM

In Arsenal reserves

BILLYHIBS
15-12-2019, 01:07 AM
Guys I get that Danny McGrain and Sandy Jardine played in the same Scotland team one playing out of position that was my recollection too but answer me one thing who is the Glaswegian Roberto Carlos that plays at the PBS? :confused:

calumhibee1
15-12-2019, 08:17 AM
Guys I get that Danny McGrain and Sandy Jardine played in the same Scotland team one playing out of position that was my recollection too but answer me one thing who is the Glaswegian Roberto Carlos that plays at the PBS? :confused:

I’m presuming it’s Aaron Hickey?

BILLYHIBS
15-12-2019, 08:35 AM
I’m presuming it’s Aaron Hickey?

:thumbsup:

He pish!

Been found oot

JimBHibees
15-12-2019, 09:24 AM
:thumbsup:

He pish!

Been found oot

Yep got subbed at half time v Killie after 36 year old Burkey ripped him up.

calumhibee1
15-12-2019, 09:33 AM
Yep got subbed at half time v Killie after 36 year old Burkey ripped him up.

He was there man of the match yesterday by a mile apparently. Still think they’ll ruin him though.

Scouse Hibee
15-12-2019, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=90+2;6016103]Robertson was the best player in the league when at Dundee Utd. He was then a standout for Hull in the EPL. Respect your opinion though Billy but for me Tierney has quite a journey ahead to get to Robertson’s level.[/QUOTE

Tierney has it all to prove as to whether he will succeed in the EPL, hope he does.

calumhibee1
25-06-2020, 06:42 PM
Injured yet again and seems like he’ll be out for about 3 months or so. Without going back and counting again, he was heading for about 70 missed games so far in his career when he came back from his last injury. Can throw in another 15 at least now so we’ll be looking at 85 or so games missed before he’s 23. Not a kick in the arse off two full seasons worth of football. Also not managed an international appearance in 14 months and is unlikely to be fit for the playoff games in March so we'll probably be looking at close to 2 years out of international football.

Shame for the guy, but he’s quite clearly going to have a career that is constantly disrupted by injuries.

Seeing Tierney playing tonight and unable to complete 90 minutes reminded me of this thread. Managed 13 (today may possibly be his 14th) appearances this season out of 44 possible games. Spent 317 days out injured in the last year and a half.

Since the start of this thread when I suggested he was a bit of a crock he's had yet another different long term injury which kept him out for 3 months.

I reckon he'll be back at Celtic within the next few years.

MWHIBBIES
25-06-2020, 06:45 PM
Seeing Tierney playing tonight and unable to complete 90 minutes reminded me of this thread. Managed 13 (today may possibly be his 14th) appearances this season out of 44 possible games. Spent 317 days out injured in the last year and a half.

Since the start of this thread when I suggested he was a bit of a crock he's had yet another different long term injury which kept him out for 3 months.

Apparently just cramp tonight. Not really surprising he isn't fully fit. Arsenal are having a bad time with injuries as well.

He is still very young, time on his side.

Billy Whizz
25-06-2020, 06:46 PM
Apparently just cramp tonight. Not really surprising he isn't fully fit. Arsenal are having a bad time with injuries as well.

I’m a big big Tierney fan

calumhibee1
25-06-2020, 06:47 PM

Yeah, think the commentators had suggested he was injured but looked like he was being treated for cramp.

When I have seen him playing for Arsenal I think he’s been fairly disappointing - stifled from getting forward to an extent.

ancient hibee
25-06-2020, 06:55 PM
Last time he was ER he wasn’t running freely.He should insist on getting properly sorted otherwise his career will be full of injuries.

MWHIBBIES
25-06-2020, 06:58 PM
Last time he was ER he wasn’t running freely.He should insist on getting properly sorted otherwise his career will be full of injuries.

His last 2 injuries have been a shoulder injury from a bad fall and cramp. I don't think its anything to do with ''getting properly sorted''

English sides don't sign guys for millions and pay them millions to patch them up and risk their careers.

calumhibee1
25-06-2020, 06:59 PM
His last 2 injuries have been a shoulder injury from a bad fall and cramp. I don't think its anything to do with ''getting properly sorted''

English sides don't sign guys for millions and pay them millions to patch them up and risk their careers.

He’s had 3 major hip injuries though. Not sure if it’s always the same injury but if it is and it keeps reoccurring then hopefully it’s sorted or else he’ll be finished at a very young age.

In England £25m is just a decent sized fee now - clubs like Sheffield United have been spending that. If his injuries don’t start to improve then Arsenal will probably have to go out and replace him.

MWHIBBIES
25-06-2020, 07:05 PM
He’s had 3 major hip injuries though. Not sure if it’s always the same injury but if it is and it keeps reoccurring then hopefully it’s sorted or else he’ll be finished at a very young age.

In England £25m is just a decent sized fee now - clubs like Sheffield United have been spending that. If his injuries don’t start to improve then Arsenal will probably have to go out and replace him.

Hypothetical though because those injuries haven't occured in over a year now, right?

Na, £25 million is still a significant fee and Arsenal wouldn't be risking it by patching him up. Doctors also have obligations not to do things like that. There is a difference between painkillers for a few weeks and risking his career.

Since452
25-06-2020, 07:53 PM

Neve got the hype personally

mayo hibee
25-06-2020, 09:23 PM
The lad is made of glass. The rumours I've heard are that the injuries he's already had are expected to be career limiting - I wouldn't expect him to still be playing at the top level at 30.

allezsauzee
25-06-2020, 10:05 PM
Tierney is a good player but I can't believe anyone is trying to make the case he is a better player than Robertson. Robertson is one of the first names on the teamsheet for the best club side in Europe.

Brightside
25-06-2020, 10:17 PM
Robertson one of the best in the world. Him and Gilmour are proper world class talents. We don’t have anymore in Scotland. Maybe Paul Hanlon.

calumhibee1
25-06-2020, 10:22 PM
Robertson one of the best in the world. Him and Gilmour are proper world class talents. We don’t have anymore in Scotland. Maybe Paul Hanlon.

Gilmour, McGinn, McGregor and McTominay have the making of a very good midfield for us. :agree:

oneone73
25-06-2020, 10:27 PM
Gilmour, McGinn, McGregor and McTominay have the making of a very good midfield for us. :agree:

I'd add Armstrong and Christie.

calumhibee1
26-06-2020, 08:26 AM
I'd add Armstrong and Christie.

Actually forgot about they two. Some decent players around just now.

With a total lack of a decent striker and centre halves well get nowhere though.

MWHIBBIES
26-06-2020, 08:51 AM

Gilmour has potential. He isn't anywhere near the level Robertson is it. Just as much chance of him coming to nothing as him being world class.

Hibeesforever
26-06-2020, 08:55 AM
Gilmour has potential. He isn't anywhere near the level Robertson is it. Just as much chance of him coming to nothing as him being world class.

Came on as sub for Chelsea last night...Lampard has faith in him.

MWHIBBIES
26-06-2020, 08:59 AM
Came on as sub for Chelsea last night...Lampard has faith in him.

Of course. There is a bit more than that needed, though. Time will tell.

Musselbound
26-06-2020, 09:22 AM
Tierney is a good player when fit but who should be playing LB for Scotland shouldn't even be a debate right now. That was a big discussion a year or two back. Since then, Robertson has made the position his own at the very top level and Tierney simply needs to get a decent run of games. If he can do that then Clark can look at whether he could play somewhere else in the back four.

mayo hibee
26-06-2020, 09:35 AM

Not yet maybe, but he has made fantastic progress for a player his age. Barring serious injury he looks set to have a career at the top of the game.

Leaving Glasgow when he did was the best decision he could have made. He was also a little fortunate with the Chelsea transfer embargo but sometimes those are the breaks you need.

Scotland have a fantastic team at the moment in about 6 of the 11 positions. Marshall is also a decent enough keeper. The problem after that is that the drop off from there to the standards of the centre backs, right back and striker is absolutely huge.

If Scotland could somehow pull a decent centre back and centre forward out of somewhere though it would be a complete game changer.

jacomo
26-06-2020, 06:02 PM
Not yet maybe, but he has made fantastic progress for a player his age. Barring serious injury he looks set to have a career at the top of the game.

Leaving Glasgow when he did was the best decision he could have made. He was also a little fortunate with the Chelsea transfer embargo but sometimes those are the breaks you need.

Scotland have a fantastic team at the moment in about 6 of the 11 positions. Marshall is also a decent enough keeper. The problem after that is that the drop off from there to the standards of the centre backs, right back and striker is absolutely huge.

If Scotland could somehow pull a decent centre back and centre forward out of somewhere though it would be a complete game changer.

Steven Fletcher could have been playing for Scotland all this time if Levein hadn’t been a total Jambo-minded prick.

Sylar
27-06-2020, 10:39 AM

He looked the part during his brief outing midweek against some of the best players in the world - the 60 yard pass he pinged across the park to Abraham shortly after coming on was exquisite, and he distributed the ball well across midfield otherwise. Got into good positions too.

Getting Griffiths back would be a boost, as we're otherwise powderpuff up front. Lyndon Dykes is most likely going to declare for Scotland, and I think he'll be a great addition to the team too - he has great physicality, knows how to finish and can hold a ball up really well into the bargain.

I don't know what it is with our centre backs - there have been a lot of young players that have shown great potential, only to fade away or be plagued by injuries over the years (players like Souttar, Jack Henry etc) - relying on players like Martin or Hanley has been to our detriment.

calumhibee1
27-06-2020, 10:49 AM
He looked the part during his brief outing midweek against some of the best players in the world - the 60 yard pass he pinged across the park to Abraham shortly after coming on was exquisite, and he distributed the ball well across midfield otherwise. Got into good positions too.

Getting Griffiths back would be a boost, as we're otherwise powderpuff up front. Lyndon Dykes is most likely going to declare for Scotland, and I think he'll be a great addition to the team too - he has great physicality, knows how to finish and can hold a ball up really well into the bargain.

I don't know what it is with our centre backs - there have been a lot of young players that have shown great potential, only to fade away or be plagued by injuries over the years (players like Souttar, Jack Henry etc) - relying on players like Martin or Hanley has been to our detriment.

The thought of Lyndon Dykes being someone we might rely on makes me want the Scotland team disbanded.

Sylar
27-06-2020, 11:14 AM
The thought of Lyndon Dykes being someone we might rely on makes me want the Scotland team disbanded.

I'm not suggesting he'd be first name on the team-sheet, but he's a quality striker who would add some necessary attributes to the national side. He'd be a far more productive option than some of the regulars who get picked right now IMO (Naismith, Martin, McBurnie...).

Brummie_Hibs
27-06-2020, 11:28 AM
I also think Shankland has done well enough for Scotland in the limited games he's had. Unless he completely melts in the Spfl, then I reckon he'll be a regular cap.

Scotland also have Forrest on the wing, who likes a goal or two. Im guessing we have all given up on Oliver Burke.

Speedy
27-06-2020, 06:40 PM
I also think Shankland has done well enough for Scotland in the limited games he's had. Unless he completely melts in the Spfl, then I reckon he'll be a regular cap.

Scotland also have Forrest on the wing, who likes a goal or two. Im guessing we have all given up on Oliver Burke.

Burke is hopeless imo

Ozyhibby
27-06-2020, 06:47 PM
Burke is hopeless imo

13 senior goals.

calumhibee1
27-06-2020, 08:26 PM
I'm not suggesting he'd be first name on the team-sheet, but he's a quality striker who would add some necessary attributes to the national side. He'd be a far more productive option than some of the regulars who get picked right now IMO (Naismith, Martin, McBurnie...).

I think he’s pretty pish however as you say he’d definitely be a better option than the other 3.

Onceinawhile
27-06-2020, 09:38 PM
Burke is hopeless imo

I'd have Chris Burke ahead of Oliver Burke.

Phil MaGlass
28-06-2020, 07:45 AM
Maybe its just me, but for the first time in a long time I am getting just a wee bit excited about the Scottish talent coming through , it has the makings of a good Scotland squad if they can all stay fit.
Anyone who thinks Tierney is anywhere near the class of Robertson is having a laugh tae.

Brightside
28-06-2020, 09:26 AM

You are miles off it with this take. Gilmour shines in every game he plays. Have you actually watched him play football? He is the real deal. Already miles better than SJM.

MWHIBBIES
28-06-2020, 10:23 AM
You are miles off it with this take. Gilmour shines in every game he plays. Have you actually watched him play football? He is the real deal. Already miles better than SJM.

He has played something like 8 games. I'm not miles off it with any take, he has a long way to go.

Winston Ingram
28-06-2020, 10:40 AM
Burke is hopeless imo

He is terrible. Genuinely think he’s more suited to being a winger at Rugby

Winston Ingram
28-06-2020, 10:42 AM
I'd have Chris Burke ahead of Oliver Burke.

I’d rather have Alexandra Burke

Brightside
28-06-2020, 10:47 AM
He has played something like 8 games. I'm not miles off it with any take, he has a long way to go.

23 games. Keep watching. He’s miles ahead of anything we have in Scotland right now.

MWHIBBIES
28-06-2020, 10:54 AM
23 games. Keep watching. He’s miles ahead of anything we have in Scotland right now.

He's not miles ahead of Robertson who is a European cup and premier league winner. What appearances are you counting? He has 8 appearences for Chelseas first team, not 23. He has played 90 minutes once in the premier league, his 3 other appearences totalling 9 minutes. He has made 3 starts and 1 sub appearance in the cups.

Way, WAY to early to be making these claims. Hes a young lad with great potential, he has it all to show.

Brightside
28-06-2020, 10:55 AM
He's not miles ahead of Robertson who is a European cup and premier league winner. What appearances are you counting? He has 8 appearences for Chelseas first team, not 23. He has played 90 minutes once in the premier league, his 3 other appearences totalling 9 minutes. He has made 3 starts and 1 sub appearance in the cups.

Way, WAY to early to be making these claims. Hes a young lad with great potential, he has it all to show.

Robertson is a left back.

MWHIBBIES
28-06-2020, 10:59 AM
Robertson is a left back.

Harry Kane is a striker.

Brightside
28-06-2020, 11:05 AM
Harry Kane is a striker.

Enjoy your day fella.

mayo hibee
28-06-2020, 11:33 AM
I’d rather have Alexandra Burke

I'd take Kathy Burke before him at this stage.

We're going to sign him on loan now, aren't we...

mayo hibee
28-06-2020, 11:35 AM
Enjoy your day fella.

https://youtu.be/MN9kaloihyg

calumhibee1
28-06-2020, 11:36 AM

Gilmour looks a great prospect but there’s absolutely no way anyone can say he’s miles better than McGinn. I’d find it hard to believe anyone could say he’s even better, never mind miles better after 8 appearances (some of which I’m assuming were off the bench).

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-06-2020, 12:28 PM
Gilmour looks a great prospect but there’s absolutely no way anyone can say he’s miles better than McGinn. I’d find it hard to believe anyone could say he’s even better, never mind miles better after 8 appearances (some of which I’m assuming were off the bench).

Gilmour already looks like a player that the Chelsea team could be built around and they are a top four side. Not sure that you could say that about McGinn right now while he is at Villa.

Tomsk
28-06-2020, 12:37 PM
We've done this before with young Scottish players. Why not wait till he's actually done something substantive before we start bumming him up?

MWHIBBIES
28-06-2020, 12:41 PM
Gilmour already looks like a player that the Chelsea team could be built around and they are a top four side. Not sure that you could say that about McGinn right now while he is at Villa.

It could also be build around Pulisic, Werner, Kovacic or even Loftus Cheek who have have shown much, much more. Seriously, this hype is nonsense. Let the kid play and grow. He is miles from this level already. He's the same age as Erling Haaland ffs, thats a real world class young player.

The Modfather
28-06-2020, 12:50 PM
Watched a little bit of the Arsenal game, Tierney looks a class act IMO. I’ve never thought his quality was in doubt (although not yet at the level and consistency of Robertson), and at £25m, was a bit of a steal in the previous market. The big question mark is about whether he can stay fit or not.

Brightside
28-06-2020, 01:17 PM
We've done this before with young Scottish players. Why not wait till he's actually done something substantive before we start bumming him up?

Or how about promoting a player that’s already showing it? He’s a world class player. It’s not about bumming up when you are this good.

MagicSwirlingShip
28-06-2020, 01:22 PM
Or how about promoting a player that’s already showing it? He’s a world class player. It’s not about bumming up when you are this good.

World class players earn the title with years of top performances at the highest level. The lads not even had a half season in the first team.

Looks quality right enough, bit early for the world class accolades though.

tamig
28-06-2020, 02:15 PM
Tierney had a great game today. He’ll prove his worth at Arsenal no probs. Top talent.

Andy74
28-06-2020, 02:26 PM

Come on now. He might be a great prospect but way too early to be calling him a world class player.

AFKA5814_Hibs
28-06-2020, 02:34 PM

Billy Gilmour starts today for Chelsea.

MWHIBBIES
28-06-2020, 02:36 PM
Come on now. He might be a great prospect but way too early to be calling him a world class player.

Indeed. Chelsea have ****e, Jorginho, Kovacic and soon Ziyech who are actually top players. He currently isn't anywhere near their level. Hopefully he gets there but nothing close right now

bigwheel
28-06-2020, 02:50 PM
Indeed. Chelsea have ****e, Jorginho, Kovacic and soon Ziyech who are actually top players. He currently isn't anywhere near their level. Hopefully he gets there but nothing close right now

Yet he starts before two of them today ? Lampard must rate him ...

Centre Hawf
28-06-2020, 02:52 PM
Billy Gilmour starts today for Chelsea.

Today will be a good idea of where he's at. He is clearly a good player and has the qualities, potential, and even the situation at Chelsea to make himself into a great player. But that's all it is just now, potential. He's not better than SJM or even Fleck that are doing it week in and week out in the same league as he's getting the odd sub appearance in.

Let the laddie grow, watch with excitement, but don't rush too far ahead with shouts of World Class etc because as good as he is he's not ready to start for Scotland etc in the coming months.

On the topic of Tierney I'm glad to see he's starting to get a run of games to show what he's capable of, the guy isn't Andy Robertson but then he's arguably in the top 2/3 left backs in the World at the moment so is it that much of an insult to not be as good as he is? Not for me. What I'd like to see is him get fit and ready to perhaps play left centre back in either a back 3 or 4 ahead of some of the clowns we have at the moment occupying they slots.

MWHIBBIES
28-06-2020, 02:55 PM
Yet he starts before two of them today ? Lampard must rate him ...

Yes, obviously he rates him. Its also a cup tie, where Lampard has given him games all season. Its 1 game mate. Those 3 have dozens of games ahead of him this season.

Tomsk
28-06-2020, 02:56 PM

Are you perhaps talking about Tierney? Because I was referring to Gilmour. Please don't tell me you think Gilmour's has earned the accolade of WC after a handful of games for Chelsea.

bigwheel
28-06-2020, 02:59 PM
Yes, obviously he rates him. Its also a cup tie, where Lampard has given him games all season. Its 1 game mate. Those 3 have dozens of games ahead of him this season.

He started league games too before them before the league stopped . I reckon he will get regular first team game time going forward , as much as those others

Andy74
28-06-2020, 03:03 PM
World Class Gilmour with a very shaky start. 😉

bigwheel
28-06-2020, 03:09 PM
Will be a real test for Chelsea and Gilmour this game ..Leicester are a good side with good players ...

MagicSwirlingShip
28-06-2020, 03:20 PM
Will be a real test for Chelsea and Gilmour this game ..Leicester are a good side with good players ...

They have a strong midfield. As you say big test. Hasn’t started great

MWHIBBIES
28-06-2020, 03:32 PM
He started league games too before them before the league stopped . I reckon he will get regular first team game time going forward , as much as those others

He has started 1 league game.

Andy74
28-06-2020, 03:41 PM
They have a strong midfield. As you say big test. Hasn’t started great

He’s having a bit of a mare.

3 gifted opportunities in first 20 mins. Almost a 4th there before he recovered it.

Billy Whizz
28-06-2020, 03:42 PM
He’s having a bit of a mare.

3 gifted opportunities in first 20 mins. Almost a 4th there before he recovered it.

Wasn’t that long ago he was sent off at East Mains, for an off the ball kick at a Hibs youngster

Heisenberg
28-06-2020, 03:47 PM

Billy Gilmour is not world class. That’s quite a ridiculous take. He has potential and has played well for a couple of games. Shocking today by all accounts. Long way to go before he gets to anywhere near world class level. Andy Robertson is our only world class player, imo.

Andy74
28-06-2020, 04:04 PM
Billy Gilmour is not world class. That’s quite a ridiculous take. He has potential and has played well for a couple of games. Shocking today by all accounts. Long way to go before he gets to anywhere near world class level. Andy Robertson is our only world class player, imo.

Hooked at half time.

Centre Hawf
28-06-2020, 04:08 PM
Hooked at half time.

Had the type of day that if you react well was probably a decent education on the standard required. Fingers crossed he’s that type of laddie.

MagicSwirlingShip
28-06-2020, 04:09 PM
Hooked at half time.

Still plenty to learn for oor Billy then

Brummie_Hibs
28-06-2020, 04:12 PM
A few years ago there were scant few Scottish players playing in EPL. Now we have about a dozen who are Scottish international standard.

To me that is great progress. Good luck to all of them and for Scotland.

Phil MaGlass
28-06-2020, 06:45 PM
A few years ago there were scant few Scottish players playing in EPL. Now we have about a dozen who are Scottish international standard.

To me that is great progress. Good luck to all of them and for Scotland.

Hear hear,

Pretty Boy
18-07-2020, 08:51 PM
Tierney was outstanding tonight.

Arsenal (and other) fans on Twitter lavishing praise on him.

Hiber-nation
18-07-2020, 08:53 PM

It's great to see. Now that he's up and running he's made a huge difference to their defence along with Martinez.

tamig
18-07-2020, 08:56 PM
Tierney had a great game today. He’ll prove his worth at Arsenal no probs. Top talent.

And again.

Lago
18-07-2020, 09:09 PM

He's a good good player.

Bishop Hibee
18-07-2020, 09:27 PM
He’s a great player. Not as good as Robertson but few left backs in the world are. Given how poor Scotland’s options are at Centre Half, Steve Clark should look at a back 3 with Tierney on the left side with Robertson as left wing back.

The 90+2
18-07-2020, 09:31 PM
He’s a great player. Not as good as Robertson but few left backs in the world are. Given how poor Scotland’s options are at Centre Half, Steve Clark should look at a back 3 with Tierney on the left side with Robertson as left wing back.

I think personally he’s going to be good as Robertson.

Mibbes Aye
18-07-2020, 10:41 PM
Arsenal want to be a CL-qualifying side and ultimately a club side that will win the EPL and the CL itself.

Bit of work to be done with the squad but with Tierney they have a young, and I mean young, player who looks confident and competent at left back, left wing back, left mid, or on the left of a back central three. He is not long back from injury but is showing up as one of the best players in the team.

I think Arsenal played a blinder in signing him and if Tierney stays fit then they have a nailed on talent regardless of how they choose their defensive set—up.

He was great tonight against Man City.

EI255
18-07-2020, 10:41 PM

Arsenal (and other) fans on Twitter lavishing praise on him.Totally agree. What an outstanding talent he is. Got a brain too.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Centre Hawf
19-07-2020, 06:58 AM
I think personally he’s going to be good as Robertson.

I have to admit I think he has the potential to be the better left back. Which is mad to say at this point cause Roberston is a very important part of one of the best teams in the world.

But the biggest issue for KT has been his injuries and I don't see Arsenal making the jump squad wise that Liverpool have but as a player I think he has it all for a full back. But I also think he has the better attributes to be a LCB than Robbo too so I'd probably try and find a system they allowed them to both play down the left side of the park and overlap each other, or move KT to LCB to make a back 3.

SideBurns
19-07-2020, 10:58 AM

The fact Tierney is now playing on the left of a back 3 at such a high level should mean Clarke will surely be thinking about it. We need to have him and Robertson playing in the same Scotland team; they're simply our best players.

The 90+2
19-07-2020, 11:32 AM
I have to admit I think he has the potential to be the better left back. Which is mad to say at this point cause Roberston is a very important part of one of the best teams in the world.

But the biggest issue for KT has been his injuries and I don't see Arsenal making the jump squad wise that Liverpool have but as a player I think he has it all for a full back. But I also think he has the better attributes to be a LCB than Robbo too so I'd probably try and find a system they allowed them to both play down the left side of the park and overlap each other, or move KT to LCB to make a back 3.

Totally agree 👍

blackpoolhibs
20-07-2020, 01:28 PM
I'm sure he will break down soon, i read that on here so it must be true.

Back up the road in a year or two was another beauty too.

The guys quality, and can fill in at centre back too, although my preference would be left back with Robertson pushed on, it must surely be worth a try?

jacomo
20-07-2020, 01:35 PM
The fact Tierney is now playing on the left of a back 3 at such a high level should mean Clarke will surely be thinking about it. We need to have him and Robertson playing in the same Scotland team; they're simply our best players.

Yup great news as it shows a way for both to play in the same team. Might mean Scotland playing some variation of 3-4-3 to make it work.

NorthNorfolkHFC
20-07-2020, 01:37 PM
Robertson would be fine at left midfield. For Scotland it would be the same role as he does at Liverpool but just less defending.

Our problem is up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MWHIBBIES
20-07-2020, 01:47 PM

The guys quality, and can fill in at centre back too, although my preference would be left back with Robertson pushed on, it must surely be worth a try?

Left back and left midfield/wing are very different roles. Don't think Robertson would be good there.

blackpoolhibs
20-07-2020, 02:00 PM
Left back and left midfield/wing are very different roles. Don't think Robertson would be good there.

Well i'm astounded you dont agree.

Steve20
20-07-2020, 02:02 PM
He's good, but nowhere near as quality as Robertson.

easty
20-07-2020, 02:05 PM
Robertson would be fine at left midfield. For Scotland it would be the same role as he does at Liverpool but just less defending.

Our problem is up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

At left mid in the Scotland team he'll prob still have to do more defending than he does at left back for Liverpool.

MWHIBBIES
20-07-2020, 02:29 PM
Well i'm astounded you dont agree.

Sorry what is that supposed to mean?

Why shouldn't I disagree? Are you someone special that cant be disagreed with? Its not like I was at all rude, I just made my point, exactly the same as you did.

CockneyRebel
20-07-2020, 02:40 PM

Why shouldn't I disagree? Are you someone special that cant be disagreed with? Its not like I was at all rude, I just made my point, exactly the same as you did.

Whoosh :wink:

blackpoolhibs
20-07-2020, 02:51 PM

Not at all, is just that i've not seen you disagree with anyone else before, and just found it astounding.

Or of course it might have been a woosh moment as glory hunter said. :tee hee:

MWHIBBIES
20-07-2020, 02:54 PM
Not at all, is just that i've not seen you disagree with anyone else before, and just found it astounding.

Or of course it might have been a woosh moment as glory hunter said. :tee hee:

Wont waste my time unless you can keep it on topic :aok:

oneone73
20-07-2020, 03:25 PM

I agree.

1 8 7 5
20-07-2020, 04:12 PM

:agree:Absolutely Robertson could be pushed further up for his country.

Nonsense to suggest otherwise.

Mibbes Aye
20-07-2020, 06:08 PM

Tierney has played in mid a few times, Robertson maybe less so. If they were both comfortable with the roles then we could potentially have the option of switching them in-game to really unsettle defences. We see it all the time up top with forwards swapping left and right. It is probably dependent on four at the back and someone wide left mid though.

Regardless it is a nice problem to have given the paucity of options generally over the last few decades. I think this has been covered on a different thread but in the late seventies into the eighties, we had ridiculous strength in depth across multiple positions. Players barely played for Scotland who in other circumstances would get fifty-plus caps.

Silversand
20-07-2020, 06:14 PM
I think this has been covered on a different thread but in the late seventies into the eighties, we had ridiculous strength in depth across multiple positions. Players barely played for Scotland who in other circumstances would get fifty-plus caps.

Scotsman John McGovern - twice European Cup winning captain for Notts Forest won zero caps for Scotland [emoji50]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
20-07-2020, 06:46 PM
Tierney has played in mid a few times, Robertson maybe less so. If they were both comfortable with the roles then we could potentially have the option of switching them in-game to really unsettle defences. We see it all the time up top with forwards swapping left and right. It is probably dependent on four at the back and someone wide left mid though.

Regardless it is a nice problem to have given the paucity of options generally over the last few decades. I think this has been covered on a different thread but in the late seventies into the eighties, we had ridiculous strength in depth across multiple positions. Players barely played for Scotland who in other circumstances would get fifty-plus caps.

It appears they are very different roles, and obviously can't be done apparently, even without trying it. :wink:

Mibbes Aye
20-07-2020, 07:00 PM
It appears they are very different roles, and obviously can't be done apparently, even without trying it. :wink:

:greengrin

I guess it reaffirms the view of many women that men can’t multi-task.

MWHIBBIES
20-07-2020, 07:06 PM

They are very different roles.

How many wingers can play fullback well? Would you be happy with Daryl Horgan playing left or right back next season? Its the same the other way. Would you play Gray or McGinn right wing?

MWHIBBIES
20-07-2020, 07:06 PM

Has he? Genuine question. Was it at Celtic?

Mibbes Aye
20-07-2020, 07:08 PM
Scotsman John McGovern - twice European Cup winning captain for Notts Forest won zero caps for Scotland [emoji50]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

For me, McGovern is the obvious example. I also think of Souness who didn’t get played in the 78 World Cup until the last group game. Hansen was covered on another thread, as was Hegarty. Up top, we were spoiled for choice for years during those three World Cups between 78 and 86. Curiously we never made any real impact in the European Championships.

Eric Black and Peter Weir got a handful of caps and John Hewitt was never capped at all despite being the attack in an Aberdeen side that won a European trophy, domestic titles and cups and played some scintillating stuff. I guess at that time, playing in England was still seen as the be all and end all. If I was being cynical I would also wonder whether the SFA at that time had senior people who were embarrassed that the majority of Scotland-based players who were good enough were from the New Firm rather than the Old Firm. But that is maybe too cynical.

blackpoolhibs
20-07-2020, 07:25 PM
They are very different roles.

How many wingers can play fullback well? Would you be happy with Daryl Horgan playing left or right back next season? Its the same the other way. Would you play Gray or McGinn right wing?
There have been many players over the years who have dropped back to play full back from further forward, and many full backs who have played like wingers going forward.

I'd not have Horgan in the team in any position, nor would i like either Gray or McGinn in at right back either.

I'm surprised at the comparison between Robertson and any player we have, nevermind players so inferior as the ones mentioned above, who clearly struggle in one position.

Robertson is a great player, and i believe is capable of adapting in a role further forward, especially having someone as good behind him.

HibbyAndy
20-07-2020, 07:39 PM
What aboot the baw for Aubamayang :cb

Tobias Funke
20-07-2020, 08:12 PM
What aboot the baw for Aubamayang :cb

Sublime.

Mibbes Aye
20-07-2020, 08:17 PM
Has he? Genuine question. Was it at Celtic?

After the restart he played in front of Koleasinac in a flat four, then wide in a 3-4-3 IIRC. Don't know about Celtc, I'm afraid.

MWHIBBIES
20-07-2020, 08:31 PM
After the restart he played in front of Koleasinac in a flat four, then wide in a 3-4-3 IIRC. Don't know about Celtc, I'm afraid.

Bit of a stretch to call that midfield. Always been left wing back in the games I've seen. Kolasinac is the left of the centre backs.

Mibbes Aye
20-07-2020, 08:41 PM
Bit of a stretch to call that midfield. Always been left wing back in the games I've seen. Kolasinac is the left of the centre backs.

Depends how you read it i guess. At the start there was a definite flat four at times with Kierney out wide in LM. And with the 3-4-3 he was being pushed higher up the pitch, with Xhaka or Torreira dropping back to allow Kolasinac to drift out left to cover if required.

Centre Hawf
21-07-2020, 12:25 AM

In the modern era I'd say Wing Backs are basically a left midfielder that just needs to work harder in defence than your average winger, they need to have an eye to attack their opposite number and be able to deliver a ball and sometimes even pop up with a goal themselves. I have no doubt in my mind that Robbo or KT could play that left midfield role for Scotland either in front of each or KT in a back 3 other and provide more to the team than some of the dross we've stuck out wide in the past. They'd certainly provide more than if we forced one to play RB

blackpoolhibs
21-07-2020, 10:03 AM
In the modern era I'd say Wing Backs are basically a left midfielder that just needs to work harder in defence than your average winger, they need to have an eye to attack their opposite number and be able to deliver a ball and sometimes even pop up with a goal themselves. I have no doubt in my mind that Robbo or KT could play that left midfield role for Scotland either in front of each or KT in a back 3 other and provide more to the team than some of the dross we've stuck out wide in the past. They'd certainly provide more than if we forced one to play RB

Exactly. 👍👍👍

The Modfather
10-01-2021, 08:16 AM
Watched a little bit of the Arsenal game, Tierney looks a class act IMO. I’ve never thought his quality was in doubt (although not yet at the level and consistency of Robertson), and at £25m, was a bit of a steal in the previous market. The big question mark is about whether he can stay fit or not.

Now that Tierney looks to be putting an injury free run together he looks to be getting better and better. I think he’s approaching Robertson levels of performance IMO, although he’ll need to do it over a good few seasons before he can be compared directly with him IMO.

I think Clarke has to build the Scotland team in a way to get Robertson at wingback and almost allow Tierney a free role as a kind of box to box centreback for us to take advantage of two genuine world class talents.

£25m is a steal. Especially when you consider Man U paid £50m for Bissaka, who’s decent enough IMO. Wonder how much Tierney would have cost if he was English and came from an English club.

Renfrew_Hibby
10-01-2021, 08:26 AM
A lot of calls for Tierney to be made Arsenal captain.

Allant1981
10-01-2021, 08:28 AM
Looking like £25m was a bargain for arsenal, not at Robertson level yet I don't think but not far off. If he was to be sold you would be looking at selling for at least double that fee

Skol1972
10-01-2021, 09:07 AM
There is no doubt that Robertson has been outstanding for Liverpool over the last three seasons. However he has been playing in a team that Klopp built to play a certain style over a number of years and that has come to fruition with Robertson's efforts. Tierney is having his first real season in an Arsenal team that has been poor for a while now, changed managers twice, and still looks to be trying to find a team that fits the style Arteta wants to play. When Tierney went to Arsenal I didn't think he would do well as with Celtic in Scotland he was never really tested defensively but he has definitely impressed me so far this season.

jacomo
10-01-2021, 09:23 AM
Now that Tierney looks to be putting an injury free run together he looks to be getting better and better. I think he’s approaching Robertson levels of performance IMO, although he’ll need to do it over a good few seasons before he can be compared directly with him IMO.

I think Clarke has to build the Scotland team in a way to get Robertson at wingback and almost allow Tierney a free role as a kind of box to box centreback for us to take advantage of two genuine world class talents.

£25m is a steal. Especially when you consider Man U paid £50m for Bissaka, who’s decent enough IMO. Wonder how much Tierney would have cost if he was English and came from an English club.

Typical Scotland that our two best players vie for the same position.

I think you are right though - Tierney on the left of a back 3 and Robertson at LWB is the best system to get both in the team.

Hibernia&Alba
10-01-2021, 09:49 AM
He's becoming a key player for Arsenal. Clearly a talent, it's just his vulnerability to injuries that would worry me.

blackpoolhibs
10-01-2021, 11:01 AM
Always injured apparently, will be back up the road sooner rather than later.

calumhibee1
10-01-2021, 11:05 AM
Always injured apparently, will be back up the road sooner rather than later.

His injury record speaks for itself. Only 23 years old and already been unavailable for nearly a year and a half of his career through numerous different injuries.

It’s in no way a surprise to see you attempting to have a go at me with your post on a thread I haven’t posted on in ages though. Your creepy obsession with me continues. The fact you done it on the previous page of this thread as well just makes you look like an incredibly tragic human being.

weecounty hibby
10-01-2021, 11:09 AM
He really looks like a very good athlete as well as a very good player. Impressed by him every time I see him recently. I was one who thought he was over hyped while at cektic but he has come on massively

easty
10-01-2021, 11:45 AM
His injury record speaks for itself. Only 23 years old and already been unavailable for nearly a year and a half of his career through numerous different injuries.

It’s in no way a surprise to see you attempting to have a go at me with your post on a thread I haven’t posted on in ages though. Your creepy obsession with me continues. The fact you done it on the previous page of this thread as well just makes you look like an incredibly tragic human being.

I had a quick read back through this thread...I don’t think you can have any complaints about anything being brought back up now, the thread had been dead for 6 months and you opened it back up in June this year to almost gloat that “you were right he’s a crock” basically.

calumhibee1
10-01-2021, 11:57 AM
I had a quick read back through this thread...I don’t think you can have any complaints about anything being brought back up now, the thread had been dead for 6 months and you opened it back up in June this year to almost gloat that “you were right he’s a crock” basically.

Trust me, blackpoolhibs obsession with me and my posts runs across more than just one thread.

I brought up the thread again to point out he was injured again - quite relevant to the Tierney thread. Blackpools post is unsurprisingly little about Tierney and much more about trying to have a go at me.

Shrekko
10-01-2021, 12:23 PM
I think he could go anywhere and play for any team and not look out of place. He’s a different player to Robertson but we’ll ahead of where he was at the same age. £25 million is an absolute snip.

Since90+2
10-01-2021, 12:31 PM
Tierney is a very good player. Will be one of the best full backs in the world in 18 months time.

He's had injuries but it's unfair to say he's a crock. He's played 230 games and he's only 23.

ekhibee
10-01-2021, 12:45 PM

Maybe it's to do with how you don't rate Tierney, and you've totally laboured the point, as well as consistently going on about his injuries. Later on in the thread you were slagging off Lyndon Dykes playing for Scotland, you got that one totally wrong as well. People aren't creepy just because they disagree with you, you've made loads of comments on this thread then can't handle it when somebody disagrees with you just as consistently.

Booker5time
10-01-2021, 12:45 PM
If anything think it the case of over playing a young player when there body still physical developing. Remember he made the first team at 17-18 and was first pick all that time with no breaks. Celtic even had him playing injuried when he was needing surgery and a rest.

calumhibee1
10-01-2021, 12:52 PM
Maybe it's to do with how you don't rate Tierney, and you've totally laboured the point, as well as consistently going on about his injuries. Later on in the thread you were slagging off Lyndon Dykes playing for Scotland, you got that one totally wrong as well. People aren't creepy just because they disagree with you, you've made loads of comments on this thread then can't handle it when somebody disagrees with you just as consistently.

Could you point out where I said at any point I don’t rate Tierney? :confused:

I also never said at any point BH was creepy because he disagrees with me. It’s the following me around the forum and constantly having digs at me - something that has went on for years and been pointed out by god knows how many other members - that is creepy. He’s even had to have a post deleted by an admin on this thread because of it. It’s absolutely tragic and the behaviour of a 15 year old who’s just been dumped by his first bird.

So you can bet your bottom dollar I’ll continue to point it out every time it occurs and it’s nothing to do with not agreeing with my opinion.

calumhibee1
10-01-2021, 12:52 PM
If anything think it the case of over playing a young player when there body still physical developing. Remember he made the first team at 17-18 and was first pick all that time with no breaks. Celtic even had him playing injuried when he was needing surgery and a rest.

Could well be :agree:

MWHIBBIES
10-01-2021, 01:32 PM
Could you point out where I said at any point I don’t rate Tierney? :confused:

I also never said at any point BH was creepy because he disagrees with me. It’s the following me around the forum and constantly having digs at me - something that has went on for years and been pointed out by god knows how many other members - that is creepy. He’s even had to have a post deleted by an admin on this thread because of it. It’s absolutely tragic and the behaviour of a 15 year old who’s just been dumped by his first bird.

So you can bet your bottom dollar I’ll continue to point it out every time it occurs and it’s nothing to do with not agreeing with my opinion.

Couldn't agree more.

Magpie
10-01-2021, 01:37 PM

A long way off Robertson.

calumhibee1
10-01-2021, 01:39 PM
A long way off Robertson.

Robertson hasn’t been great this season from the admittedly limited amount of EPL football I’ve watched. He’s also been pretty average for Scotland.

Tierney isn’t far off imo but more because I feel Robertson hasn’t been up to the standards he had been setting.

Magpie
10-01-2021, 01:42 PM
Robertson hasn’t been great this season from the admittedly limited amount of EPL football I’ve watched. He’s also been pretty average for Scotland.

Tierney isn’t far off imo but more because I feel Robertson hasn’t been up to the standards he had been setting.

I think Tierney needs to be doing it regularly over a number of seasons and even producing the stats that Robertson has been doing, as well as winning titles before being put into that bracket. He’s had a few good games against average sides in the PL and his team sit 11th.

MWHIBBIES
10-01-2021, 01:44 PM
I think Tierney needs to be doing it regularly over a number of seasons and even producing the stats that Robertson has been doing, as well as winning titles before being put into that bracket. He’s had a few good games against average sides in the PL and his team sit 11th.

Winning titles has nothing to do with it. Harry Kane is world class and he couldn't win a raffle.

Tierney has been excellent this season. As good as Robertson this season, probably not quite overall. A long way off is just not true.

Magpie
10-01-2021, 01:45 PM
Winning titles has nothing to do with it. Harry Kane is world class and he couldn't win a raffle.

Tierney has been excellent this season. As good as Robertson this season, probably not quite overall. A long way off is just not true.

He’s definitely not as good as Robertson, stats will back that up.

Robertson having a poorer season but with the same amount of goals and 4 more assists in a game more.

jacomo
10-01-2021, 01:48 PM
Could well be :agree:

Which is why his injury record doesn’t ‘speak for itself’, as you claim.

Tierney has played a lot of first team football for such a young player and it’s clearly taken a physical toll on him. Whether he is injury prone or his body just needed to adjust and develop is anyone’s guess.

MWHIBBIES
10-01-2021, 01:50 PM

Robertson having a poorer season but with the same amount of goals and 4 more assists in a game more.

So he has more lethal forwards and is a better crosser? I personally would say there is a bit more to playing fullback.

Billy Whizz
10-01-2021, 01:54 PM
I’m a big big Tierney fan

Not trying to be smart, but standby what I said
I think he’s one of the best players who’s left Scotland in the last 20 years
Absolutely fantastic player and he’s a winner too

Since90+2
10-01-2021, 01:54 PM

Tierney often plays left of a back three for Arsenal so his stats won't be directly comparable as it's a more defensive role.

Magpie
10-01-2021, 01:59 PM
So he has more lethal forwards and is a better crosser? I personally would say there is a bit more to playing fullback.

This season:

Robertson-

17 appearances
15 tackles (93% success rate)
11 interceptions
102 recoveries
48 duels won
60 duels lost
15 aerial battles won
14 aerial battles lost

Tierney-

16 appearances
11 tackles (64% success rate)
13 interceptions
73 recoveries
43 duels won
61 duels lost
13 aerial battles won
27 aerial battles lost

Magpie
10-01-2021, 02:00 PM
Tierney often plays left of a back three for Arsenal so his stats won't be directly comparable as it's a more defensive role.

Stats above probably say that Robertson is as good as if not better defensively than Tierney.

Since90+2
10-01-2021, 02:15 PM
Stats above probably say that Robertson is as good as if not better defensively than Tierney.

He's playing in a far superior side.

Robertson is playing in a side who keep their shape far better for starters, he's unlikely to be getting exposed to forward players in difficult positions anywhere near as much as Tierney is.

If you put Robertson in the Arsenal team and Tierney into the Liverpool team I'm sure their respective stats would look very different.

A Hi-Bee
10-01-2021, 02:19 PM
While nothing to do with Hibs, Tierney reminds me a wee bit of John Brownlie while Robertson reminds me a wee bit of Bobby Duncan neither of the two are as good as the former Hibs men at the top of their game. Although they both played on opposite wings.
:aok: