PDA

View Full Version : Rooney to Derby, paid for by the bookies?

Monts
07-08-2019, 06:58 PM
Is this the new way round financial fair play? (http://www.sportbible.com/football/news-wayne-rooneys-derby-county-shirt-number-causes-outrage-20190806?source=facebook)

Monts
08-08-2019, 11:50 AM
"Wayne Rooney will be wearing the unusual No.32 shirt at Derby County when he joins up in January in a decision that has been heavily criticised.
England's record goalscorer has signed a 18-month contract as a player-coach under new boss Phillip Cocu and is expected to earn around £100,000-a-week at Pride Park - five times the average wage in the second tier of English football.

And despite 7, 12, 13, 15 and 18 all being available for the 33-year old to choose from, he will wear #32 as part of a massive sponsorship deal with 32Red that was announced by the Rams shortly after the Rooney signing was confirmed.

Speaking to the official Derby website, chairman Mel Morris said: "Obviously, the commercial opportunities this creates are widespread and significant.
"On the back of Wayne joining the club, we have just been offered a record-breaking sponsorship deal with our principal shirt sponsor, 32Red.
'We are keen to leverage Wayne's involvement and the support of 32Red with our community initiatives, expanding the work such as the Team Talk mental health programme which is supported by our Community Trust and 32Red.
"These are key initiatives to us as a club and demonstrate the benefits of commercial initiatives that are truly aligned to the objectives of all parties, club fanbase and community."

But his squad number essentially being part of a stunt involving a gambling firm has irked Richard Caborn, who was key in bringing about the 2005 Gambling Act.
"It's not very clever this - it all seems a bit crass," Caborn told the Telegraph.
"Wayne Rooney, who has got kids himself, should perhaps know this is not the brightest. The gambling companies need to be doing themselves favours at the moment, but this is not going to go down well with football authorities or the Government."
Neil Banbury, 32Red general manager, said: ""This record-breaking sponsorship agreement is a significant step for us as we continue to reinvent the model of sponsorship to benefit both club and community.
"Earlier this year, we invested in 'Team Talk', a project with Derby County Community Trust that is tackling the issue of men's mental health right across Derby.
"And we are delighted that our commitment to the club has allowed Derby to bring in an England legend who will not only improve the first team, but add invaluable experience to an already strong coaching set-up.
"Our partnership with Derby County Community Trust, and the extended relationship with Derby County Football Club, shows a new model for football club sponsorship is possible. 32Red are leading the way in becoming a sponsor of choice for a club and its community."
Rooney himself says he hasn't given much thought into his squad number.
"To be honest, the number that I wear is not a big deal," the Manchester United legend said at his officially Derby unveiling.
"I've worn many numbers throughout my career, Nos 18, 8, 9, 10, 23, now 32, for me, the important thing was to come back and help the team, the number isn't a big deal whatever it is."
Rooney will see out the remaining nine games with D.C before he returns to England and hopes to add to his tally of 11 goals and seven assists this season."

Northernhibee
08-08-2019, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I don't like this at all. First of all the ludicrously large Paddypower logo on front of one of the shirts, a player signing and taking a certain number to appease a sponsor, the clubs and the game down south have sold their soul to try and compete.

cabbageandribs1875
08-08-2019, 12:07 PM
Aston villa also breached FP rules, they will probably escape action now they're in the big boys league that they massively overspent to get to, Middlesbrough chairman wanted action taken against villa, derby and sheff wed, the derby chairman morris bought pride park from himself for 80m...when it was previously listed as a 41m asset on the club books.

Antifa Hibs
08-08-2019, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I don't like this at all. First of all the ludicrously large Paddypower logo on front of one of the shirts, a player signing and taking a certain number to appease a sponsor, the clubs and the game down south have sold their soul to try and compete.

Sad thing is people up here think the English model is the one to follow.

See the bi-annual threads "would you support hibs if they become Red Bull Edinburgh Hibernian" and the "should Hibs sell the naming rights of Easter Road"

cabbageandribs1875
08-08-2019, 12:14 PM
the top two league in english football is about money...that is *ALL

*apart from Leeds United, who are a properly run football club and play proper football, and also just happen to have the greatest fans in engerlund, fact

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-08-2019, 12:15 PM
The absolute madness of money in England and can't help thinking it will go tits up at some point, no longer a sport now just crazy.

Northernhibee
08-08-2019, 12:18 PM
Sad thing is people up here think the English model is the one to follow.

See the bi-annual threads "would you support hibs if they become Red Bull Edinburgh Hibernian" and the "should Hibs sell the naming rights of Easter Road"

I'd rather we played in the Lowland league than sold our soul to sell a bookies "product".

I'd obviously never wish a serious injury on a player, but if he was to be kept out of action for 9-10 months and the bookies were paying a huge deal of money for nothing I'd have a serious sense of schadenfreude.

bigwheel
08-08-2019, 12:24 PM
I'd rather we played in the Lowland league than sold our soul to sell a bookies "product".

I'd obviously never wish a serious injury on a player, but if he was to be kept out of action for 9-10 months and the bookies were paying a huge deal of money for nothing I'd have a serious sense of schadenfreude.

Would be interesting to see the commercial pressure to play him if he starts sitting on the bench ...

Bishop Hibee
08-08-2019, 12:24 PM
Did anyone watch “Can You Beat the Bookies” on BBC1 last night? Quite a sobering watch. Proof positive bookies don’t give a damn about the punters. The boy making money travelling the world to watch tennis and bet on points before the umpire registers them was unreal though. Reckons he’ll Make £350K clear profit a year!

I’d personally ban online betting and go back to regulated shops and on-course betting. It’ll never happen though.

WhileTheChief..
08-08-2019, 12:43 PM

The paddy power thing was a stunt.

What they actually did was remove their name from the shirt, it looks really good.

So they basically paid to not have their name on the strip. Decent idea that most fans really liked.

Northernhibee
08-08-2019, 01:06 PM
The paddy power thing was a stunt.

What they actually did was remove their name from the shirt, it looks really good.

So they basically paid to not have their name on the strip. Decent idea that most fans really liked.

I'd be raging if the main talking point about our strip launch/pre-season was a bookies though. The more they do stunts like this the more they make clowns of that club.

McKenzie
08-08-2019, 01:19 PM
I'd be raging if the main talking point about our strip launch/pre-season was a bookies though. The more they do stunts like this the more they make clowns of that club.

Every clubs fans are delighted with the outcome. Means the shirt stays looking good, whilst gaining significant investment. Not losing out on sponsorship like we are this season

Speedway
08-08-2019, 02:23 PM
Only money matters. I love how they are helping to combat mental health issues. I wonder how many of those issues were created by gambling addiction in the first place.

Northernhibee
08-08-2019, 05:30 PM
Every clubs fans are delighted with the outcome. Means the shirt stays looking good, whilst gaining significant investment. Not losing out on sponsorship like we are this season

We gain massively from having the community foundation on our shirt. The bookies benefit from stunts like this, whereas having the community logo on our shirts makes people more aware of the work they do, plus they receive funds from every person who chooses to have the logo printed on their shirt and the local community benefits from the foundation's work. People who might not be able to go to our games get the chance to engage with the club so long term we may get young players coming through the ranks who wouldn't have been engaged with Hibernian football club before.

I honestly think you can't understate how brilliant having the foundation's logo on the front of our shirt is this year.

Cabbage East
08-08-2019, 05:41 PM
English football is grim.

Jones28
08-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Football is dying, slowly but surely the soul is being ripped out of it.