PDA

View Full Version : Happy 144th Birthday to Hibernian Football Club.

Chorley Hibee
06-08-2019, 06:28 AM
Another year older, and here's to many more memories to be made.

The Harp
06-08-2019, 07:26 AM
Yeah, Happy Birthday Hibs. Best wishes to Hibees everywhere.

Still think we should have a plaque on the St. Mary's Street Halls building to commemorate our founding.

Brizo
06-08-2019, 08:05 AM
Yeah, Happy Birthday Hibs. Best wishes to Hibees everywhere.

Still think we should have a plaque on the St. Mary's Street Halls building to commemorate our founding.

:agree:

There's an impressive commemorative plaque to our founding in St Pats church which was installed by the St Patricks' branch some years ago and there's also a memorial in the church to Canon Hannan.

A plaque on the building that was the St Marys Street halls would be a great further historical signposting of our founding. Don't know how that would work with buildings current owners or Council but certainly worth investigating.

The Harp
06-08-2019, 08:30 AM

There's an impressive commemorative plaque to our founding in St Pats church which was installed by the St Patricks' branch some years ago and there's also a memorial in the church to Canon Hannan.

Was there when the plaque was unveiled at a packed St Pat's by the legend that is Pat Stanton. The plaque looks great.

badabing67
06-08-2019, 10:42 AM
I didn't realise this thanks for the info. I think this is a great site to find where we've come from.

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/

hibsfan7
06-08-2019, 12:23 PM
So when our 145th birthday comes round we should have another scottish cup

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2019, 01:07 PM
Doesn’t seem that long ago we were celebrating 100 years

HIBS 0 v 1 Derby County 4/8/1975

Derby were English First Division Champions 1974/75

tigerted
06-08-2019, 04:49 PM
The video from St. Patrick's Branch of the Plaque unveil is here. St. Patrick's Day 2013.

https://www.stpats.club/donate/

Just scroll down the page!

Iggy Pope
06-08-2019, 04:53 PM
Was there when the plaque was unveiled at a packed St Pat's by the legend that is Pat Stanton. The plaque looks great.

Me too. And Pat Fenlon......It was St Patrick’s day too which meant a half day off the school so if it was a Sunday it was a scunner.

PatHead
06-08-2019, 04:58 PM
Really proud to say that my great, great uncle was Mick Whelahan. My grant's mum used to knit socks for the team when they first started.

Wonder how we should celebrate the 150th anniversary.

Iggy Pope
06-08-2019, 05:02 PM
Really proud to say that my great, great uncle was Mick Whelahan. My grant's mum used to knit socks for the team when they first started.

And so you should be. That is some ancestry and as one of our two founding fathers would take some bettering. I hope you’ve been up to St Pats to do your genealogy my friend. We all owe your great, great Uncle a pint or six.

Pretty Boy
06-08-2019, 05:06 PM

It will likely never happen but a game against Hearts, as our 1st opponents would be fitting. Alternatively a recreation of the' world chanpionship' game v PNE would be good as well.

Hopefully we make it a real celebratory year. Centenaries and 150 year anniversaries are only going to be once or twice in a lifetime things for most people so should be celebrated accordingly.

HIBERNIAN-0762
06-08-2019, 05:06 PM
Happy glorious birthday to the pride of Edinburgh 💚💚💚

PatHead
06-08-2019, 05:08 PM
And so you should be. That is some ancestry and as one of our two founding fathers would take some bettering. I hope you’ve been up to St Pats to do your genealogy my friend. We all owe your great, great Uncle a pint or six.

Aye and my dad's middle name was Stanton from that side of the family. He was born long before King Pat. Aka God

The Harp
06-08-2019, 05:09 PM
Me too. And Pat Fenlon......It was St Patrick’s day too which meant a half day off the school so if it was a Sunday it was a scunner.

Was just talking about that with my cousin who's back here on holiday from Canada. He's a Hibee and ex St. Pat's boy. We looked in at St Pat's to see the plaque again before taking a walk through Cowgate/Grassmarket to look at addresses where our gt. grandparents lived after arriving from Co. Monaghan in 1859. Nostalgia eh, you cannae beat it. :)

Iggy Pope
06-08-2019, 05:18 PM
Was just talking about that with my cousin who's back here on holiday from Canada. He's a Hibee and ex St. Pat's boy. We looked in at St Pat's to see the plaque again before taking a walk through Cowgate/Grassmarket to look at addresses where our gt. grandparents lived after arriving from Co. Monaghan in 1859. Nostalgia eh, you cannae beat it. :)

My family too. We were Blackfriars St and Canongate. I wrote about this on here a while back. What years would your cousin have been schooled at St Pat’s my friend?

Iggy Pope
06-08-2019, 05:18 PM
Aye and my dad's middle name was Stanton from that side of the family. He was born long before King Pat. Aka God

Pat is a relative of Whelehan too of course.

Pretty Boy
06-08-2019, 05:19 PM

Is St Pats open all day?

It used to be the norm for Churches to lie open all day but increasingly they are only opened as and when they are in use. I wouldn't mind popping in one day and having a look at the plaque.

The Harp
06-08-2019, 05:22 PM

Just noticed your post PH. That is some family connection you have with the Hibs. Love the fact your gran's mum knitted socks for the team.
I'm sure there'll be many events to honour the Club's 150th. Just hope I'm still around to see them.

Iggy Pope
06-08-2019, 05:25 PM
Is St Pats open all day?

It used to be the norm for Churches to lie open all day but increasingly they are only opened as and when they are in use. I wouldn't mind popping in one day and having a look at the plaque.

Don’t think so but they’ll welcome you if you phone first. Expect questions though! I got married at St Mary’s Leith and it took me a while to get my Baptism details from St Pats as I had lapsed attending some years previous and they weren’t happy with my defection....
It’s a lovely old church and over and above the plaque it is well worth a look.
Failing that, nip up for an hour one Sunday morning and say one for the Hibs!

Iggy Pope
06-08-2019, 05:26 PM
Just noticed your post PH. That is some family connection you have with the Hibs. Love the fact your gran's mum knitted socks for the team.
I'm sure there'll be many events to honour the Club's 150th. Just hope I'm still around to see them.

See also post #16....

DaveSo
06-08-2019, 05:28 PM
That was mt first ever Hibs game as a mere 7 year old.
I remember being right down the front of the terracing near the half way line.
It was a cracking sunny evening too.
Can't remember much about the game but it defo gave me the bug to go back.
Life changing experience.

Doesn’t seem that long ago we were celebrating 100 years

HIBS 0 v 1 Derby County 4/8/1975

Derby were English First Division Champions 1974/75

SideBurns
06-08-2019, 05:29 PM

A plaque on the building that was the St Marys Street halls would be a great further historical signposting of our founding. Don't know how that would work with buildings current owners or Council but certainly worth investigating.

It was unveiled on St.Patrick's Day 2013, after Mass. Hearts were playing in the League Cup Final that afternoon.

Rod Petrie said: "Let's hope that St.Patrick's Day is also St.Mirren's day"

Luckily, it was 😂

The Harp
06-08-2019, 05:41 PM
My family too. We were Blackfriars St and Canongate. I wrote about this on here a while back. What years would your cousin have been schooled at St Pat’s my friend?

Yes, I remember reading your posts back then. My cousin would've been at St. Pat's from '50 to '57. His family lived on Jeffrey Street.
I spent a lot of happy hours there too, can remember playing fitba regularly on the flat area of Chalmers Close back then.

Iggy Pope
06-08-2019, 05:42 PM
Yes, I remember reading your posts back then. My cousin would've been at St. Pat's from '50 to '57. His family lived on Jeffrey Street.
I spent a lot of happy hours there too, can remember playing fitba regularly on the flat area of Chalmers Close back then.

Ah. A wee bit older then.

The Harp
06-08-2019, 06:22 PM
Is St Pats open all day?

St Pat's has a Mass on on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 12.30 so will be open around lunchtime on these days.
It's well worth a visit.

EI255
06-08-2019, 08:53 PM
St Pat's has a Mass on on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 12.30 so will be open around lunchtime on these days.
It's well worth a visit.Sure Hibs will be celebrated in Ireland today. Somewhere!
Happy returns to the ould club.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

AltheHibby
07-08-2019, 06:49 AM
Happy birthday Hibs.😁🍰

Thanks for all the good times.