PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Ibrox moment

matty_f
05-08-2019, 11:49 PM
We’re recording the next Longbangers episode on Tuesday night and one of our topics is favourite Ibrox moments.

We’ve had some crackers there, which one is your highlight?

Is It On....
06-08-2019, 12:03 AM
Ivan hatrick, 0-3 Scottish Cup, 1-3 Championship

Hibeesmad
06-08-2019, 12:05 AM
Lewis Stevenson goal in the 2-0 win

Is It On....
06-08-2019, 12:07 AM

Interview afterwards when he had mud on his face is a cracker as well

SteveHFC
06-08-2019, 12:14 AM

One of the best days out i've had as a hibs fan.

Aim Here
06-08-2019, 12:27 AM
The post-equalizer rendition of 'The Billy Boys' abruptly silenced after 30 seconds by Tav pushing Scotty Allan over in the box and the ref blowing for a penalty. First comes the hope, then the despair...

The 90+2
06-08-2019, 12:28 AM
Ivan in the sun. Closely followed by the Scottish Cup demolition.

I also liked the fact we went 1 up at half time when the GJP left us and was meant to be paraded on the pitch. Paco scored with a header.

Other mentions to Tambo and Ormans goals. Orman getting us a draw.

Hermit Crab
06-08-2019, 12:55 AM
0-3 Sproule game because there was only 900 of us there although we must have had about 10,000 tickets for that game because everyone you speak to about it was there apparently...

David Murphy 0-1 was good as well, as was the Stokes equaliser game, 1-1. Won goal of the season that.

Turnbullsmate
06-08-2019, 01:16 AM
1969 , "Marinello makes a bee line for goal"

Very scary place for a 13 yr old that day. Hibs pis*** on them.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/hibee-history-rangers-1-3-hibs-october-11-1969-1-1309927

greenginger
06-08-2019, 02:05 AM
Going even further back.

Pat Quinn’s goal to make the final score Gers 2 - 4 Hibs , back in 1964, after twice being a goal down.

My first ever visit to Ibrox as a school boy.

Learnt very quickly to tuck my Hibs scarf under my collar on the way back to the bus. :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2019, 03:54 AM
1969 , "Marinello makes a bee line for goal"

Very scary place for a 13 yr old that day. Hibs pis*** on them.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/hibee-history-rangers-1-3-hibs-october-11-1969-1-1309927

still remember the headline on the Pinknews that night after waiting what seemed an eternity for it to arrive at our local Newsagent:

”PUNCHINELLO ROCKS THE GERS!”

That and GOC getting hooked in the Ivan Sproule game and saying to Tony Mowbray:

”What the f##k is he gonna dae?” :greengrin

:flag:

Wakeyhibee
06-08-2019, 04:34 AM
Aug 77 Gordon Rae's first goal for Hibs in only his second appearance. IIRC Rangers had just won the treble and although they had lost their opening game and we'd drawn ours, Hibs werent expected to take anything away from Ibrox. 2-0 was the result.

Leaving the ground, I saw quite a few discarded scarfs .... sore losers

blaikie
06-08-2019, 04:47 AM
We’re recording the next Longbangers episode on Tuesday night and one of our topics is favourite Ibrox moments.

Liam Miller opening the scoring with a long range swerving shot during a midweek game at Ibrox.

Probably the most unexpected and surprising one of our 0-3 wins against that lot :greengrin

SouthMoroccoStu
06-08-2019, 04:52 AM
Alen Orman’s goal has to be up there

2-2 on the day, did Tam McManus get the other goal?

Since452
06-08-2019, 05:13 AM
0-3 Scottish cup win in my top 5 Hibs games ever. Brilliant when the original Rangers turned the scoreboard off while 6k+ Hibs fans were singing "go home you huns".

McSwanky
06-08-2019, 06:23 AM
0-3 Scottish cup win in my top 5 Hibs games ever. Brilliant when the original Rangers turned the scoreboard off while 6k+ Hibs fans were singing "go home you huns".Forgot about the scoreboard going off, that was brilliant!

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

SChibs
06-08-2019, 06:27 AM
Been at all the ibrox games the last 5 years and the Ivan hattrick game but the one that sticks out for me was Mcregors goal last season. Something about the way we deserved nothing from the game and it was near the end of the game we knew it would piss off the huns even more. Big hibby Daz flattening the boyhood hun Halliday in the process made even more satisfying

Diclonius
06-08-2019, 06:29 AM
The 1-2 two seasons ago, only win I've ever seen there (and probably the last as I don't intend on going back). They weren't best pleased.

Power
06-08-2019, 06:31 AM
A real tough one. We’ve really had some fantastic wins there over the last 15 years.

3-0 Scottish Cup game wins it just because of the large volume of us in the Broomloan end. Bouncing.

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2019, 06:53 AM
Old Co were up to their old tricks before the Scottish Cup game

They put in a bid for Derek Riordan on the Tuesday so we took him out the squad

Kevin Thomson carried off on a stretcher after 7 minutes

Still did not stop the best Hibees Bounce ever at the end of the game. :greengrin

danhibees1875
06-08-2019, 06:57 AM
3-0 Scottish Cup game. :agree:

Hermit Crab
06-08-2019, 07:40 AM
Liam Miller opening the scoring with a long range swerving shot during a midweek game at Ibrox.

Probably the most unexpected and surprising one of our 0-3 wins against that lot :greengrin

Aye thats another one I forgot about. Less than 300 of us there that night. Calderwoods first game in charge?

Heisenberg
06-08-2019, 07:42 AM
The most hilarious one has to be when we turned up midweek, in November I think it was, and pumped them 3-0 with an absolutely rotten team. Valdas Trakys turned into the most effective target man on the planet and bullied their central defenders. John Rankin scored a screamer. Liam Miller absolutely strolled it in midfield. Francis Dickoh scored the third.

Only about 250/300 Hibs fans in that wee corner and no one could believe what was happening.

bigwheel
06-08-2019, 07:51 AM
Alen Orman’s goal has to be up there

2-2 on the day, did Tam McManus get the other goal?

Was that not the game the day after McLeish left us??

KDY Hibs
06-08-2019, 07:55 AM

Lewis Stevensons peach!

Looking forward to listening

Smartie
06-08-2019, 07:56 AM
John Collins' team playing keep ball at the end of a 1-0 win that iirc saw us go top of the league.

Sweet Left Peg
06-08-2019, 08:01 AM
0-3 Scottish cup win in my top 5 Hibs games ever. Brilliant when the original Rangers turned the scoreboard off while 6k+ Hibs fans were singing "go home you huns".

The entire away end singing "We Are The People" was brilliant. Huns were raging.

Bishop Hibee
06-08-2019, 08:02 AM
Scottish Cup win. Brilliant second half performance. Gary O’Connor bullied Marvin Andrews all game. McLeish had left us for them and it was great to deliver a GIRUY.

Hibernian Verse
06-08-2019, 08:13 AM
One of the best days out i've had as a hibs fan.Valentines day I think? I dragged my then girlfriend along from Aberdeen. She "supported" Rangers until she spent 90 mins in the away end. We've now split up but she still follows Hibs.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2019, 08:14 AM
The entire away end singing "We Are The People" was brilliant. Huns were raging.

:faf:

Sean1875
06-08-2019, 08:20 AM
Our first game back against them at Ibrox after we beat them in the cup to then beat them by the exact same scoreline was a beauty. Walking in to that ground ive never seen men with such genuine hatred in their eyes looking at us :faf:

Sudds_1
06-08-2019, 08:28 AM
0-3 Sproule game because there was only 900 of us there although we must have had about 10,000 tickets for that game because everyone you speak to about it was there apparently...

David Murphy 0-1 was good as well, as was the Stokes equaliser game, 1-1. Won goal of the season that.

Ah memories. Remember also the hun management wouldnt let us out till half hour after the game. All hibbies spent the time singing we arra peeple 😁

blaikie
06-08-2019, 08:28 AM
Aye thats another one I forgot about. Less than 300 of us there that night. Calderwoods first game in charge?

His first win, we lost his first three on the bounce before that game.

Found the highlights on Youtube ... Rankin's sqiggler was sublime that night as well :agree:

Leith's finest
06-08-2019, 08:30 AM
Calderwood even managed a 0.3 win there

Keith_M
06-08-2019, 08:44 AM
Scottish Cup 3-0 win in 2006(?)

6,000 Hibs Fans singing 'we arra peepul'

we are hibs
06-08-2019, 08:49 AM
Beating them 3-2 first game after the final.

The threats on their fans boards that ibrox would be "hell" for hibs fans.

Coach turning into govan and bottles being chucked at it.

The walk from the bus to the away end with huns all around giving it the big one.

Atmosphere loud as **** at the start.

They go ahead early and invade the park.

Murray equalises and i dont think ive celebrated a goal as much since then.

Lennons celebration whipping them up into a frenzy and the post match statements and seethe.

Stokes battering tavernier down the corner and getting away with it.

Beating them by the same score as the final. Watching them walk away.

Also a special note to that wee old hun steward with the grey hair. An absolute delight everytime we visit. Cant wait for sunday

iwasthere1972
06-08-2019, 09:17 AM
I'm only including the ones I've been to personally.

October 1969. We won 3-1 that day. A brace from Peter Marinello and a single goal from Joe McBride. I got separated from my mates and ended up behind the goals in the opposite end to where the majority of the Hibs fans where. When Hibs scored their first goal I celebrated as if there were no Huns next to me. Got some glares but didn't stop me celebrating the other two goals as passionately. I was only thirteen at the time. If I had been a bit older I might have left the stadium in an ambulance.

hibee
06-08-2019, 09:21 AM
Our 3-0 win in 2006 I think it was.

I was sitting in work all day with a team of mainly jambos telling them we were going to win 3-0 again and I was going to go home and have a bet on it which they found quite amusing.

Went home, logged on to Betfair and deposited £10. Odds were 640/1 so I put £5 on it and decided to keep the other £5 for a weekend coupon, that was a mistake!

It was a nervous few minutes at the end listening on the radio (no streams back then) but nobody was laughing at me after the game and it paid for a 2 week all inclusive family holiday!

Suburban Hibby
06-08-2019, 09:23 AM
Colin Harris rattling in the winner at Broomloan end with a few minutes left, about 1985 ish- absolute bedlam .

The Modfather
06-08-2019, 09:26 AM
John Collins' team playing keep ball at the end of a 1-0 win that iirc saw us go top of the league.

That’s the one I was going to mention. 1-0, David Murphy I think. Rob Jones was a a colossus that day. Remember Scotsport showing the highlight of the 40 odd passes where Rangers couldn’t get near us before they had to give a free kick away.

InchHibby
06-08-2019, 09:35 AM
As others have mentioned, the Ivan Sproule hat trick, but just as good was the 0-3 Scottish Cup match where I’m sure the Broomloan Road stand held 7,500.
It was when we were singing, “ We Arra Peepul “ and “ Go Home ya Huns go Home “, they actually turned of the scoreboard.
I nearly wet myself laughing, in fact even today I need to take an extra pair of pants with me just in case I think about it 😂😂😂
GGTTH

Pretty Boy
06-08-2019, 09:45 AM
Beating them 3-2 in the 1st game after the final. They were on the park and giving it the big one when they went 1-0 up.

Stokes equaliser in a 1-1 draw. Sure it won goal of the season and deservedly so.

0-3 in the Scottish Cup. We were pretty poor in the 1st half and had a genuinely world class save from Simon Brown to thank for us still being level. We destroyed them 2nd half.

Worst 2:

The 0-3 under Calderwood. I had a ticket but decided to give it a miss after the Derby defeat the weekend before.

Staying until the bitter end of the 0-7 defeat. It was freezing, we were soaked and were totally blown away by a brilliant Rangers team. My Grandad would not let us leave early.

Sean1875
06-08-2019, 09:48 AM
That’s the one I was going to mention. 1-0, David Murphy I think. Rob Jones was a a colossus that day. Remember Scotsport showing the highlight of the 40 odd passes where Rangers couldn’t get near us before they had to give a free kick away.

Im sure there was a great picture from that game from behind the goal of Murphy scoring and Kevin Thomson who had only recently signed for them looking back at it sailing into the net, peach.

spudhib
06-08-2019, 09:49 AM
Keith Houchen circa 89/90 in a 1-0 win in front of the Hibs fans in the broomloan,proper out of nowhere win under a less than good Miller side.

yerauldda
06-08-2019, 09:50 AM
Been at all the ibrox games the last 5 years and the Ivan hattrick game but the one that sticks out for me was Mcregors goal last season. Something about the way we deserved nothing from the game and it was near the end of the game we knew it would piss off the huns even more. Big hibby Daz flattening the boyhood hun Halliday in the process made even more satisfying

Have to agree - the last five minutes and the 20 after full time were seriously enjoyable.

MartinfaePorty
06-08-2019, 10:02 AM
Darren Jacksons' penalty winner in 1995, after Kevin Harper was brought down just outside the box by Petric, but the ref (unbelievably given all the rotten decisions I've seen there over the years) gave the spot kick.

First time I'd seen us win at Ibrox, after suffering years of poor performances and results under Alex Miller (usually to nil).

hibbysam
06-08-2019, 10:20 AM
His first win, we lost his first three on the bounce before that game.

Found the highlights on Youtube ... Rankin's sqiggler was sublime that night as well :agree:

Rankin scored a right footed curler into the top bin, it was Liam Miller that scored the ‘squiggler’ that McGregor made an absolute **** of.

snedzuk
06-08-2019, 10:59 AM
Colin Harris rattling in the winner at Broomloan end with a few minutes left, about 1985 ish- absolute bedlam .

This and the picture of Roughie leaving the park at the end.

Hibernia&Alba
06-08-2019, 11:02 AM
Seeing a Hun fall down the steps in the Broomloan is a moment I will always treasure.

The 90+2
06-08-2019, 11:03 AM
Was that not the game the day after McLeish left us??

No that was the Paco Luna 1-1 draw. Tuesday/Weds night.

Ormans was a Sunday night game, McManus opened the scoring Orman equalised late on.

Here’s Lucy!
06-08-2019, 11:04 AM
Has to be the Sproule hat-trick.

PH91
06-08-2019, 11:32 AM
3-1 touch of an angel game, 3-0 up at half time and hibs fans could barely believe it!! Grown men dancing in the aisles to the half time tunes, which included a one direction number, was brilliant.

Favourite has to be the 3-0 scottish cup game though as there were so many of us there. What an atmosphere. I got back to the car to find i had a parking ticket, couldnt give a monkeys!

Reading through this thread has been great, we have had a fair amount of positive results there in recent times.

Here’s Lucy!
06-08-2019, 11:37 AM
Seeing a Hun fall down the steps in the Broomloan is a moment I will always treasure.

:faf::faf:

Aim Here
06-08-2019, 11:53 AM
Have to agree - the last five minutes and the 20 after full time were seriously enjoyable.

We weren't locked in at Ibrox after that game - the Glasgow polis had worked out how to cordon off the streets by then. The last time Hibs were locked in for the 20-minute post-match singalong was the game that ended 1-2 when we ****housed a win with those few players who'd managed to survive the previous week's brutalizing by Motherwell.

sahpaton
06-08-2019, 11:57 AM
3-1 touch of an angel game, 3-0 up at half time and hibs fans could barely believe it!! Grown men dancing in the aisles to the half time tunes, which included a one direction number, was brilliant.

Favourite has to be the 3-0 scottish cup game though as there were so many of us there. What an atmosphere. I got back to the car to find i had a parking ticket, couldnt give a monkeys!

Reading through this thread has been great, we have had a fair amount of positive results there in recent times.

Same 2 stand out for me, Cup game in 06 was my first time there and been hard picked to find a better away trip since. At the 3-1 in Championship I decided to go to the toilet after our quickfire double thinking ‘we aren’t gonna score another surely.’ Stepped into concourse and saw the ball cut back to Cummings on the wee tele inside, me and a couple other hibees ran straight back out to the stand and I re-emerged the second the ball hit the net, what a feeling.

matty_f
06-08-2019, 12:11 PM
Think we could do an episode just on this thread!!

Great memories folks, keep them coming!

Keith_M
06-08-2019, 12:14 PM

Was that the League Cup game where most of us didn't get into the ground until about 30 minutes after the game started?

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2019, 12:18 PM
Was that the League Cup game where most of us didn't get into the ground until about 30 minutes after the game started?

Naw that was the Alan Rough 0-1 game

We were 2-0 up from the first leg in the semi

MB62
06-08-2019, 01:26 PM

I was thinking of posting that as my favourite hunbrox game but thought going for a defeat might not count. There must have ultimately been about 8,000 of us at that game, folk sitting 2 to a seat and in the exit aisle. The radio commentary was also magic that night when John Greg was cracking up about the floodlights (half of them had failed).
Davy Cooper's goal for them was a screamer, but I remember a young Gordon Hunter taking out some hun as he ran through on goal being given a hugely appreciative nod and smile from Gordon Rae, as in, 'well don son, I've obviously taught you well' :greengrin

The 'Hokey Cokey' going down the stairs from the top tier after the game was magic too, 'We're all going to Hampden, we're all going to Hampden, nah, nah, nah, nah ooh', :greengrin

:flag::flag::flag::flag:

Deansy
06-08-2019, 01:36 PM
Feb 2013 - when Craig Whyte announced they were going into administration !. Since that day the amount of comedy Rangers has given Scotland and civilisation is immeasurable - AND it's endless !

ben johnson
06-08-2019, 01:47 PM
3.0 Cup game. Andy Cameron wandered out in his blue suit to warm the crowd up. Microphone in hand he started his nonsense A few minutes later walked off as you could not hear a word he was saying due to the Hibs fans giving him pelters. The look he shot the Hibs end as he walked off
Then his day got even worse as the game unfolded
He actually mentioned it the next time we were there with a smaller support.

Pretty Boy
06-08-2019, 01:56 PM
For the 0-3 Cup game I got a lift through from a Rangers fan, actually a decent guy who follows Rangers and Scotland home and away.

The last thing he said when leaving the car was 'now nae bitterness after the game, whatever the result'. He was heavy on the implication we were going to lose. After the game he got back to the car, face like thunder and muttered 'that started wae P and rhymes wae wish' then didn't say another word until we got to Harthill service. Even then he only broke the silence to tell the radio to '**** off' a few time.

Basking in the silence was even better than winding him up.

lyonhibs
06-08-2019, 02:01 PM
That I've seen live, there's 2. Different reasons.

1) David Murphy's goal in the 1-0 win under Collins. We absolutely played them off the park that day, Boozy and Zemmama had them chasing shadows. We won deservedly and my best mate who recently died had forgotten that he'd put a few quid on 1-0 Hibs, Murphy to score first until almost the final whistle. Made the last 10 minutes that bit tenser and a great feeling to be in the wee corner absolutely lording it over the rest of Ibrox

2) Scottish Cup win, 3-0. What a day and what a support and what a performance. Even Simon "Fat pig" Brown played well.

Captain Trips
06-08-2019, 02:07 PM
I hope it is on Sunday as I cannot stand the club in any way. They are a disgrace as the Kilmarnock incidents show. Please pump them Hibs.

Turnbullsmate
06-08-2019, 02:13 PM
I'm only including the ones I've been to personally.

October 1969. We won 3-1 that day. A brace from Peter Marinello and a single goal from Joe McBride. I got separated from my mates and ended up behind the goals in the opposite end to where the majority of the Hibs fans where. When Hibs scored their first goal I celebrated as if there were no Huns next to me. Got some glares but didn't stop me celebrating the other two goals as passionately. I was only thirteen at the time. If I had been a bit older I might have left the stadium in an ambulance.

Ye'r a braver man than i Gunga Din. You must have been in the Copeland End as the rest of us were at the Broamloan end, which got pretty damn intimidating when Marinello scored. My "big" brother got a steel toe cap up the erse and did a runner leaving me to make my own way back to the bus (SMT double decker excursion)

Never seen such post match carnage. Huns going at each other with bottles and razors.

Springbank
06-08-2019, 02:21 PM
The 0-3 cup game was amazing but is topped by the 3-2 game after we won the cup because we won the Scottish Cup!

That Hibs 3 Rangers 2 also created a top FITBA stat

3 games 3 different venues Same score
April Hibs 3 Rangers 2 Easter Road
May Hibs 3 Rangers 2 Hampden Park
Aug (2017) Rangers 2 Hibs 3 Ibrox

The 90+2
06-08-2019, 02:24 PM
The 0-3 cup game was amazing but is topped by the 3-2 game after we won the cup because we won the Scottish Cup!

That Hibs 3 Rangers 2 also created a top FITBA stat

3 games 3 different venues Same score
April Hibs 3 Rangers 2 Easter Road
May Hibs 3 Rangers 2 Hampden Park
Aug (2017) Rangers 2 Hibs 3 Ibrox

Love it!!

iwasthere1972
06-08-2019, 02:31 PM
Ye'r a braver man than i Gunga Din. You must have been in the Copeland End as the rest of us were at the Broamloan end, which got pretty damn intimidating when Marinello scored. My "big" brother got a steel toe cap up the erse and did a runner leaving me to make my own way back to the bus (SMT double decker excursion)

Never seen such post match carnage. Huns going at each other with bottles and razors.

Did I go through with you and Eddie? :greengrin

Iggy Pope
06-08-2019, 02:44 PM
Every time we’ve beaten them there seems the best and I’ve been to all the notables.
My fave though was my first trip there with my mate Stevie and his dad. 77/78. We were 14.
One beautiful lob from Des Bremner and a league debut goal from the knee of Gordon Rae gave us a 2-0 win sitting in a poisonous main stand.
Memorably, Benny Brazil made an attempt at time wasting and booted the ball out of play resulting in a flattened ball boy. That helped ease the tension no end. Some trip back on that Hawkhill bus that day.

Turnbullsmate
06-08-2019, 02:49 PM
Did I go through with you and Eddie? :greengrin

Indeed you did...from St Andrews square on the "excursion"....Was way before the Pentland Hibs days of course.

Pre game in question we went to ipox in 1968 courtesy of the Hawkhill bus....Maud's(Bless her) bus. In her wisdom she led our happy band to behind the goals at the Copeland road end where we witnessed a 6-1 trouncing and a Stein hat - trick. Made revenge in the Marinello game all the sweeter.

Carheenlea
06-08-2019, 02:52 PM
The Sproule 3-0 game was unlike anything else we have experienced in the past at Ibrox - felt surreal to see us not only win but to win 3-0 was the stuff of dreams.
I took my now wife to the Cup tie for her first taste of Hibs, and walking out she was waxing lyrical about the whole experience and said she could now sort of understand my obsession with Hibs and the travels home and away every week. I thought I should remind her that it wasn’t always 3 goal romps against Rangers away, but she pointed out “Did you not win three nil the last time you were here?”, which I hadn’t really taken on board. She maybe thought we stuck 2 or 3 away every time through there , and she kind of turned out to be right and the goals have been flying in at Ibrox ever since.

Wakeyhibee
06-08-2019, 02:57 PM
Every time we’ve beaten them there seems the best and I’ve been to all the notables.
My fave though was my first trip there with my mate Stevie and his dad. 77/78. We were 14.
One beautiful lob from Des Bremner and a league debut goal from the knee of Gordon Rae gave us a 2-0 win sitting in a poisonous main stand.
Memorably, Benny Brazil made an attempt at time wasting and booted the ball out of play resulting in a flattened ball boy. That helped ease the tension no end. Some trip back on that Hawkhill bus that day.

That's the game I remembered earlier in this thread. I was also in the main stand towards the Broomloan, with my old man, brother and a distant relative.

I knew one goal was a lob but couldn't remember whether it was Gordon Rae or not, so thanks for that wee memory jog.

Do you remember the discarded scarfs after the game outside the main stand? They'd been pumped by Aberdeen the week previous 3-1 so the atmosphere was poisonous as you say.

Only good humour I remember was two pished old boys, handing round the whiskey, offered myself, the old man laughed but declined on my behalf :greengrin

The 90+2
06-08-2019, 03:02 PM
The Sproule 3-0 game was unlike anything else we have experienced in the past at Ibrox - felt surreal to see us not only win but to win 3-0 was the stuff of dreams.
I took my now wife to the Cup tie for her first taste of Hibs, and walking out she was waxing lyrical about the whole experience and said she could now sort of understand my obsession with Hibs and the travels home and away every week. I thought I should remind her that it wasn’t always 3 goal romps against Rangers away, but she pointed out “Did you not win three nil the last time you were here?”, which I hadn’t really taken on board. She maybe thought we stuck 2 or 3 away every time through there , and she kind of turned out to be right and the goals have been flying in at Ibrox ever since.

Ivan match was the first time I seen us win there in the flesh. The cup was great because my pals that didn’t go to the Ivan game all went to that match. Scenes in both and in the Murphy game that I’ll be ever so thankful I went to.

ben johnson
06-08-2019, 03:10 PM
3.0 Cup game. Andy Cameron wandered out in his blue suit to warm the crowd up. Microphone in hand he started his nonsense A few minutes later walked off as you could not hear a word he was saying due to the Hibs fans giving him pelters. The look he shot the Hibs end as he walked off
Then his day got even worse as the game unfolded
He actually mentioned it the next time we were there with a smaller support.

BigKev
06-08-2019, 04:15 PM
The 3-0 Sproule game, totally unexpected and given I used to meet up with a few Rangers guys for a day out whenever we played there it was a total delight.

Ended up in a bar in the city centre belting out a karaoke version of Sunshine on Leith. Great day out.

Then to do it all over again a few months later in the Cup, what a day out that turned into as well!

The Harp Awakes
06-08-2019, 04:18 PM
3-0 Scottish Cup game. :agree:

What a day out that was. Happy memories. 5000 Hibees at Ibrox outsung the orcs for 90 mins :not worth

PatHead
06-08-2019, 04:37 PM
Remember the 3 0 Cup tie. Boy behind me had put a fiver on Hibs 3 0 at half time and got odds of 100-1. At the end of the match we were clean through with just the goalie to beat. The guy was screaming miss ya ****, ****in miss!

Iggy Pope
06-08-2019, 04:39 PM
That's the game I remembered earlier in this thread. I was also in the main stand towards the Broomloan, with my old man, brother and a distant relative.

I knew one goal was a lob but couldn't remember whether it was Gordon Rae or not, so thanks for that wee memory jog.

Do you remember the discarded scarfs after the game outside the main stand? They'd been pumped by Aberdeen the week previous 3-1 so the atmosphere was poisonous as you say.

Only good humour I remember was two pished old boys, handing round the whiskey, offered myself, the old man laughed but declined on my behalf :greengrin

I remember two Hibbies in full colours cornered in the old stand entrance behind the polis and a mob on the pavement waiting for them. I hope they got home.....they’ll be in their late 50s now!

Turnbullsmate
06-08-2019, 04:40 PM
Remember the 3 0 Cup tie. Boy behind me had put a fiver on Hibs 3 0 at half time and got odds of 100-1. At the end of the match we were clean through with just the goalie to beat. The guy was screaming miss ya ****, ****in miss!

Big G no doubt lol. 3-0 is his banker bet :greengrin

Turnbullsmate
06-08-2019, 04:47 PM
I remember two Hibbies in full colours cornered in the old stand entrance behind the polis and a mob on the pavement waiting for them. I hope they got home.....they’ll be in their late 50s now!

Hopefully :wink:

PatHead
06-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Big G no doubt lol. 3-0 is his banker bet :greengrin

Wasn't Big G, if it had been the whole stand would have heard him shouting!

Keith_M
06-08-2019, 05:47 PM

:aok:

Suburban Hibby
06-08-2019, 06:28 PM

Yeah that was the game Davie cooper scored a freekick

CloudSquall
06-08-2019, 06:30 PM
3-0 cup game, the only thing that came close to the entire stand shaking under a hibees bounce was the sight of one hun falling over the barrier in pure rage when we went gung-ho with a "we are the people" chant :greengrin

06-08-2019, 06:30 PM
My personal favourite was beating them 3-2 there a couple of seasons ago. My first trip thru there and the first time we'd played them since the cup final.

Horrible place to go, we were spat on, had stuff chucked down on us, the buses got their windows tanned in, their usual sectarian shouts as we walked up to the ground, bottles chucked etc. The usual treatment basically! But it just made victory there all the sweeter.

Kavinho
06-08-2019, 06:33 PM

Yes.

This one for me.
40/45 passes and "Oles" as the hordes emptied the stands in double quick time knowing they had been well and truly pumped 1-0 !

And yes -top of the league

EI255
06-08-2019, 07:45 PM
Holding up the tiniest wee flag[emoji849] ever in front of them and seeing them and the police bite[emoji16]

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Alex Trager
06-08-2019, 09:24 PM

Absolutely this. A Friday night in February. Superb

matty_f
06-08-2019, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the input folks.

I discuss these, along with Pedantic Hibee and DavidDavidGray on the new podcast:

https://anchor.fm/longbangers/episodes/Episode-5-St-Mirren-review--Ibrox-memories--best-eleven-since-2010--Rangers-preview--Middleton-loan-e4sc5o

hfc rd
06-08-2019, 10:59 PM
0-3 Scottish Cup game at Ibrox as it was on my birthday 😊

wookie70
06-08-2019, 11:42 PM
I was thinking of posting that as my favourite hunbrox game but thought going for a defeat might not count. There must have ultimately been about 8,000 of us at that game, folk sitting 2 to a seat and in the exit aisle. The radio commentary was also magic that night when John Greg was cracking up about the floodlights (half of them had failed).
Davy Cooper's goal for them was a screamer, but I remember a young Gordon Hunter taking out some hun as he ran through on goal being given a hugely appreciative nod and smile from Gordon Rae, as in, 'well don son, I've obviously taught you well' :greengrin

The 'Hokey Cokey' going down the stairs from the top tier after the game was magic too, 'We're all going to Hampden, we're all going to Hampden, nah, nah, nah, nah ooh', :greengrin

:flag::flag::flag::flag: That game is my favourite. Coopers free kick was a screamer but it was one of the few times Hibs fans turned up in huge numbers and got the result needed even if it was a defeat.

scm70nyd1973
07-08-2019, 12:13 AM
Yes.

This one for me.
40/45 passes and "Oles" as the hordes emptied the stands in double quick time knowing they had been well and truly pumped 1-0 !

And yes -top of the league

One less gap as I was in the main stand beside my mate (Bosch type) who had a spare season ticket for use - didn’t want to go (couldn’t trust myself to behave) but wife and wean persuaded me otherwise - let’s just say that I was ecstatic at their powers of persuasion. Not quite sure which area was the best to be in after the game - loved hearing/seeing the Huns being upset but wanted to be with the green dancing end with all my type of people. To be fair to the Huns they weren’t too bad about the defeat which surprised me a lot 🤭 - suffice to say I was never asked back when the season ticket became available again 😬

erin go bragh
07-08-2019, 09:46 AM
First night game for me at Greyskull . 2nd leg of the league cup semi ( we won the first leg 2-0 ) we lost 1-0 but made it through to the final . Just a brilliant night . Alan Rough was outstanding in goals .
Joint first with that one is the cup 3-0 game .

InchHibby
07-08-2019, 10:26 AM
Just watched it again, I was in the North Stand at this game, August 1986, Hibs v Rangers.
It was Graham Souness first game, what an atmosphere 2-1 to Hibs goals by Beedie and Cowan, a much disputed penalty for them with a blatant dive from Ally the Swally.
Souness was sent of after a deliberate studs up tackle on McCluskey, Chris Woods ran down during the melee and threw a punch, he should have been sent of also and in the same incident Colin West floored a Hibs player and only got a yellow. Terry Butcher retaliated later on to a tackle which should have been red for him also.
All in all, a great game, a great result.

BILLYHIBS
07-08-2019, 10:32 AM
Just watched it again, I was in the North Stand at this game, August 1986, Hibs v Rangers.
It was Graham Souness first game, what an atmosphere 2-1 to Hibs goals by Beedie and Cowan, a much disputed penalty for them with a blatant dive from Ally the Swally.
Souness was sent of after a deliberate studs up tackle on McCluskey, Chris Woods ran down during the melee and threw a punch, he should have been sent of also and in the same incident Colin West floored a Hibs player and only got a yellow. Terry Butcher retaliated later on to a tackle which should have been red for him also.
All in all, a great game, a great result.

That was Easter Road

Great game though

“What a waste of money!”

Hun team full of England internationals

scm70nyd1973
07-08-2019, 10:45 AM

Not my one highlight TBH but a fond memory - some of you guys might need to help me out here on date/ month and year as I am going back to early 80s - mibbies winter ‘82 ?

Got into the Broomloan end - top tier - early doors with my fellow mate (Both Glasgow Hibbys). Days of <10,000 at Castle Greyskull. Small (and I mean small) band of Hibbys to our right got moved down to lower tier - we were still on top tier at the front with no Huns around us.

Broomloan end started to fill up with the Bosch - totally surrounded by ko - no scarves on view at this point . Can’t recall sequence but we were 2-1 down and they got a penalty (quel surprise). They missed it but we stayed on our jaxis - god knows how.

Last 10 mins Hibs were all over them and shooting towards our end - getting a bit excited at this stage but no one around us was aware of who were in their midst.

Hibs score right at the death (header - Duncan ?) and my mate and I just lost the fu”•*ing plot - and I mean big time. All around were shocked at first as were the cops - shortly after they realised what was going on cue utter bedlam and the cops escorting is out - not manhandled but genuinely whisked out for our own safety.

Got down the stairs and outside to the Hun Gates when the final whistle blew.

Silly boys we were with our celebrations but I tell you it was worth every second of it and I will never forget it !

Anyone there that day - only a couple of hundred of the good guys there that day if I recall correctly ?

MacGruber
07-08-2019, 11:11 AM
All my favourites are already covered so will add Jim Leighton's penalty save from Andy Walker!!

BILLYHIBS
07-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Not my one highlight TBH but a fond memory - some of you guys might need to help me out here on date/ month and year as I am going back to early 80s - mibbies winter ‘82 ?

Got into the Broomloan end - top tier - early doors with my fellow mate (Both Glasgow Hibbys). Days of <10,000 at Castle Greyskull. Small (and I mean small) band of Hibbys to our right got moved down to lower tier - we were still on top tier at the front with no Huns around us.

Broomloan end started to fill up with the Bosch - totally surrounded by ko - no scarves on view at this point . Can’t recall sequence but we were 2-1 down and they got a penalty (quel surprise). They missed it but we stayed on our jaxis - god knows how.

Last 10 mins Hibs were all over them and shooting towards our end - getting a bit excited at this stage but no one around us was aware of who were in their midst.

Hibs score right at the death (header - Duncan ?) and my mate and I just lost the fu”•*ing plot - and I mean big time. All around were shocked at first as were the cops - shortly after they realised what was going on cue utter bedlam and the cops escorting is out - not manhandled but genuinely whisked out for our own safety.

Got down the stairs and outside to the Hun Gates when the final whistle blew.

Silly boys we were with our celebrations but I tell you it was worth every second of it and I will never forget it !

Anyone there that day - only a couple of hundred of the good guys there that day if I recall correctly ?

Rangers 2 v 2 HIBS
5/9/1981
HIBS scorers Gordon Rae and Ally Macleod

scm70nyd1973
07-08-2019, 11:16 AM
Rangers 2 v 2 HIBS
5/9/1981
HIBS scorers Gordon Rae and Ally Macleod

Cheers - Rae got the equaliser I think - header at close range?

AgentDaleCooper
07-08-2019, 11:54 AM

that was hilarious :greengrin

matty_f
07-08-2019, 12:01 PM
All my favourites are already covered so will add Jim Leighton's penalty save from Andy Walker!!

That was my first Ibrox trip. :agree:

I think we covered pretty much all the posts on here so if you want to hear what was discussed, you can here:

https://anchor.fm/longbangers/episodes/Episode-5-St-Mirren-review--Ibrox-memories--best-eleven-since-2010--Rangers-preview--Middleton-loan-e4sc5o

InchHibby
07-08-2019, 12:06 PM
[QUOTE=BILLYHIBS;5874862]That was Easter Road

Great game though

“What a waste of money!”

Hun team full of England internationals[/QUOTE

It was Easter Road, the old North Stand

BILLYHIBS
07-08-2019, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=BILLYHIBS;5874862]That was Easter Road

Great game though

“What a waste of money!”

Hun team full of England internationals[/QUOTE

It was Easter Road, the old North Stand
Thread title is favourite Ibrox moment :confused:

Crunchie
09-08-2019, 04:08 PM
Mine was definitely the semi-final 2nd leg in 1985. I still have my ticket stub for that game, it cost me all of £2.75. Biggest Hibs crowd I've ever witnessed there and a great night all round.