PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian ladies/woman’s football.

onthefence
05-08-2019, 02:05 PM
Hi guys!

Posting on this more than I thought!

Today’s question - what is your thoughts on Hibernian Ladies? Do you care about the ladies team?

I was genuinely really surprised to learn over the weekend that Glasgow City is run by someone who is pretty high up at Hibs ( I took the game in on Sunday). The name I was told is Laura Montgomery? Is this not a conflict of interest? Now I know some people attitude towards it will be is that it’s just woman’s football & it’s amateur. To an extent I agree but I’m pretty sure winning the league puts you directly into the last 32 of the champions league and generates some serious money from UEFA. Is that not a negative to Hibs that Laura will know quite a lot about her main opposition for that prize?

Also a thought that run through my head is when Hibernian Ladies recently beat Glasgow city in a final Hibs had a member off full time staff who would have genuinely been upset at the final result. I thought #WeAreAllHibs?

Ps - I could have this completely wrong and if anyone can shed some light that would be great!

superfurryhibby
05-08-2019, 02:16 PM
Personally speaking, I've no interest in women's football. If it gets more people taking part in sport, then fair play to it though.

As for the conflict of interest, seems odd, but who cares really? You seem to know more than you're letting on though?

James Stephen
05-08-2019, 02:18 PM
I dont really care about women's football. I see it as women's job to get behind and support their sports, and until they do in numbers, it will remain very niche.

onthefence
05-08-2019, 02:22 PM
Personally speaking, I've no interest in women's football. If it gets more people taking part in sport, then fair play to it though.

As for the conflict of interest, seems odd, but who cares really? You seem to know more than you're letting on though?

I don’t know more than I’m letting on. It was actually a Glasgow city supporter who was telling me at half time during the game. I was then asking how Glasgow city survive without the backing of a club - I.e Celtic, Rangers, Hibs etc. To which he told me the champions league generates a lot of money. I only went to the game on the back of the woman’s World Cup and to see what the standard was like here with the top 2 sides in the country going at it.

RoYO!
05-08-2019, 02:25 PM
I think hibs fans should be really proud about all that the ladies have achieved. Anyone who isn’t is sour grapes imo. They’ve been a credit to our club throughout.

Itsnoteasy
05-08-2019, 02:29 PM
Hi guys!

Today’s question - what is your thoughts on Hibernian Ladies? Do you care about the ladies team?

I was genuinely really surprised to learn over the weekend that Glasgow City is run by someone who is pretty high up at Hibs ( I took the game in on Sunday). The name I was told is Laura Montgomery? Is this not a conflict of interest? Now I know some people attitude towards it will be is that it’s just woman’s football & it’s amateur. To an extent I agree but I’m pretty sure winning the league puts you directly into the last 32 of the champions league and generates some serious money from UEFA. Is that not a negative to Hibs that Laura will know quite a lot about her main opposition for that prize?

Also a thought that run through my head is when Hibernian Ladies recently beat Glasgow city in a final Hibs had a member off full time staff who would have genuinely been upset at the final result. I thought #WeAreAllHibs?

Ps - I could have this completely wrong and if anyone can shed some light that would be great!

I have never heard of her but took 5 seconds to Google her.

She is head of sales & marketing so I find it hard to see how she knows the opposition any better than a rival manager, it's not as if she works down at East Mains & hiding behind the bushes.

I would hardly think the womens champions league would be a huge money spinner.

As long as it's not affecting her day job let her carry on, if it was an issue I'm sure her employer would have raised this by now.

superfurryhibby
05-08-2019, 02:30 PM
I don’t know more than I’m letting on. It was actually a Glasgow city supporter who was telling me at half time during the game. I was then asking how Glasgow city survive without the backing of a club - I.e Celtic, Rangers, Hibs etc. To which he told me the champions league generates a lot of money. I only went to the game on the back of the woman’s World Cup and to see what the standard was like here with the top 2 sides in the country going at it.

There may well be funding for Scottish women's clubs via other revenue streams, social enterprise etc? I wouldn't assume that Hibs are putting money into our women's team?

Amateur teams survive with sponsorship for strips and subs from players themselves, supplemented with a wee bit fundraising. I've no idea about prizemoney for Glasgow's participation in European Club competition, but I suppose it must cover their expenses, surely?

In terms of quality, were you impressed?

onthefence
05-08-2019, 02:37 PM
I have never heard of her but took 5 seconds to Google her.

She is head of sales & marketing so I find it hard to see how she knows the opposition any better than a rival manager, it's not as if she works down at East Mains & hiding behind the bushes.

I would hardly think the womens champions league would be a huge money spinner.

As long as it's not affecting her day job let her carry on, if it was an issue I'm sure her employer would have raised this by now.

That’s true although I was more thinking about know Hibernian Ladies Finances as opposed to knowing about the system of play. According the supporter the champions league money allows them to pay their manager a full time salary along with a couple of players. It seems to me crucial that GC qualifys year upon year to keep going.

To me it would certainly effect her decision making at Hibs if she has anything to do with the Ladies. I see that you said she’s head of Sales and marketing does this mean she is in charge of the front of jersey? I noticed the ladies have the same sponsor last season?

MartinfaePorty
05-08-2019, 02:38 PM
I have followed Laura on Twitter for some time and she certainly does not hide the work she does at either club. It seems to me she has posted slightly less after she experienced an awful tragedy in her personal life, but was very active, not surprisingly, during the WWC.

As for women's football; I've been (passively) behind the Hibs Ladies team from the early days and think it's great that the game has been getting more publicity. To me, they are different products, and I think there is definitely a market for the game. As with most things, it needs better exposure and investment to progress and whilst I understand the view that Hibs supporters would, in the main, want all their money to go to the men's team, I hope that Hibs Ladies continue to get support from the club and fellow supporters. I also really enjoyed the WWC and the standard was much improved from previous tournaments I've seen.

onthefence
05-08-2019, 02:39 PM
There may well be funding for Scottish women's clubs via other revenue streams, social enterprise etc? I wouldn't assume that Hibs are putting money into our women's team?

Amateur teams survive with sponsorship for strips and subs from players themselves, supplemented with a wee bit fundraising. I've no idea about prizemoney for Glasgow's participation in European Club competition, but I suppose it must cover their expenses, surely?

In terms of quality, were you impressed?

According to the Glasgow City supporter it allows them to pay there manabger a full time salary and a few players.

The quality was ok. No where near the standard of the World Cup but neither is the men’s game in the country compared to the men’s World Cup. In all honesty I wouldn’t rush back. It was pretty slow!

Just Jimmy
05-08-2019, 03:25 PM
you posted the other day saying you don't support Hibs in particular and now you've started a thread questioning a member of staff without actually claiming to really know.

I think you're at it pal.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

onthefence
05-08-2019, 03:38 PM
you posted the other day saying you don't support Hibs in particular and now you've started a thread questioning a member of staff without actually claiming to really know.

I think you're at it pal.

I’m confused to what you mean by this? I have attended a game at the weekend due to what was meant to be the 2 best sides in the country. That’s happens to be Hibs. During the game I was speaking to a Glasgow City supporter who told me a few things that I thought was strange. I have no knowledge of the woman’s game what so ever apart from who’s winning. Due to watching the World Cup I gave the game on Sunday a try. With the conversation being about Hibs and this being a fans forum for hibs I posted the information. Sorry if that’s offensive or questionable. I joined this and was open I have no connection to Hibs or any club other than family members supporting. Surely it would have been easier to pretend to be a hibs supporter if going by your logic that “im at it”

who do I support then?

I look at fixtures every weekend and attend games from lowland league right to the premiership. I live in Edinburgh so most game I attend are around the area. Sunday’s I usually spend watching on TV but with the summer I didn’t want to waste the day indoors and the ladies match seemed the best option.

Brightside
05-08-2019, 03:58 PM
Hi guys!

Im a big fan of the game and have some involvement in it. There is no link between Hibs Ladies and the Hibernian Football Club though. Hibs Ladies are run and governed by the Community Foundation. Hence why there is no official issue with Laura working for HFC and also being the "Chairperson"? i believe at Glasgow City. Despite the huge advancement in the women game over the last few years I'm actually concerned with Hibs lack of interest. At a time when we could be hugely improving Hibs Ladies we are actually going backwards. We dont have any players on contracts. Glasgow City and now Celtic do. We also aren't the team that the best young players look to by default anymore. This isn't a Men V Women thing by the way I just dont see the point of Hibs putting their name to a club and then not trying to make it the best it could possibly be.

Brightside
05-08-2019, 04:00 PM

Glasgow City make money from sponsorship. The womens teams dont make much if anything from Champs League.

onthefence
05-08-2019, 04:23 PM
Im a big fan of the game and have some involvement in it. There is no link between Hibs Ladies and the Hibernian Football Club though. Hibs Ladies are run and governed by the Community Foundation. Hence why there is no official issue with Laura working for HFC and also being the "Chairperson"? i believe at Glasgow City. Despite the huge advancement in the women game over the last few years I'm actually concerned with Hibs lack of interest. At a time when we could be hugely improving Hibs Ladies we are actually going backwards. We dont have any players on contracts. Glasgow City and now Celtic do. We also aren't the team that the best young players look to by default anymore. This isn't a Men V Women thing by the way I just dont see the point of Hibs putting their name to a club and then not trying to make it the best it could possibly be.

Ah right. Do you have involvement with Hibs Ladies? Do you think the ladies team is at a point where they can afford to offer contracts financially? What sort of money do the Celtic or Glasgow players receive?

JXM73
05-08-2019, 04:23 PM
Since you're asking its rotten and don't have time for it... I'd rather watch hearts...

onthefence
05-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Glasgow City make money from sponsorship. The womens teams dont make much if anything from Champs League.

Thanks for replying. - are you saying UEFA don’t pay much?

Brightside
05-08-2019, 04:31 PM
Ah right. Do you have involvement with Hibs Ladies? Do you think the ladies team is at a point where they can afford to offer contracts financially? What sort of money do the Celtic or Glasgow players receive?

No Hibs cannot afford to pay anyone as they are funded by the Foundation, and the foundation is a charity that needs donations in order to increase any level of funding. Now the recent "idea" to add The Foundation as our sponsor could be used to raise additional funds , but these funds do not just go to the Womens team......they are split over every the foundation does. The teams get facilities help from Hibs, but like any other boys team parents pay subs and pay for kit etc. Those subs go direct to the Community Foundation.

Brightside
05-08-2019, 04:34 PM
Thanks for replying. - are you saying UEFA don’t pay much?

In the last few years it has just about covered the expenses of going. BTW the Scotland team qualifying for the world cup recently meant an additional 500k for the SFA. There was also payments to teams that developed players that attended the World Cup.

onthefence
05-08-2019, 04:39 PM
No Hibs cannot afford to pay anyone as they are funded by the Foundation, and the foundation is a charity that needs donations in order to increase any level of funding. Now the recent "idea" to add The Foundation as our sponsor could be used to raise additional funds , but these funds do not just go to the Womens team......they are split over every the foundation does. The teams get facilities help from Hibs, but like any other boys team parents pay subs and pay for kit etc. Those subs go direct to the Community Foundation.

Thanks for that....I just thought they where the football club.

onthefence
05-08-2019, 04:42 PM
In the last few years it has just about covered the expenses of going. BTW the Scotland team qualifying for the world cup recently meant an additional 500k for the SFA. There was also payments to teams that developed players that attended the World Cup.

Oh right. That should hopefully be put back into the woman’s game then? 500k would do a lot of good!

When you say just about covered expenses do you think it’s actually costing the clubs to participate? That’s surely wrong and I highly doubt that’s the case from the men’s game?

lord bunberry
05-08-2019, 04:43 PM
I’m hoping that the community foundation being on the strips this year and the extra money that will raise would allow us to start giving these girls contracts. It would also be good if the ladies team could find a sponsor prepared to put a bit of money into ladies team.

Just Jimmy
05-08-2019, 05:56 PM
I’m confused to what you mean by this? I have attended a game at the weekend due to what was meant to be the 2 best sides in the country. That’s happens to be Hibs. During the game I was speaking to a Glasgow City supporter who told me a few things that I thought was strange. I have no knowledge of the woman’s game what so ever apart from who’s winning. Due to watching the World Cup I gave the game on Sunday a try. With the conversation being about Hibs and this being a fans forum for hibs I posted the information. Sorry if that’s offensive or questionable. I joined this and was open I have no connection to Hibs or any club other than family members supporting. Surely it would have been easier to pretend to be a hibs supporter if going by your logic that “im at it”

who do I support then?

I look at fixtures every weekend and attend games from lowland league right to the premiership. I live in Edinburgh so most game I attend are around the area. Sunday’s I usually spend watching on TV but with the summer I didn’t want to waste the day indoors and the ladies match seemed the best option.

I think you're looking for reactions and are a wind up merchant. I think the tone of your posts are questionable and i dont see why someone who isn't a hibs fan would bother to post on a hibs forum. I'm not suggesting you're pretending to be anything you're not fan wise - however I do think you're looking for bites.

if I'm wrong then fair enough but it just seems iffy to me.

Malthibby
05-08-2019, 06:14 PM
I think hibs fans should be really proud about all that the ladies have achieved. Anyone who isn’t is sour grapes imo. They’ve been a credit to our club throughout.

Exactly where I am, women's football is expanding massively & Hibs Ladies have been in the very forefront of its development in Scotland. Very proud of them & their place in the Hibernian family. It's good in its own right but also brings additional support & interest into Hibs generally.
Half the population are female, half of Hibs next generation of supporters could be female, I see far more girls and women at ER now than in the 70s & 80s & I believe a successful women's team encourages that. I fail to see the problem some folk on here seem to have with that, unless it's pining for the good old days of macho posturing & drunks pishing on the terraces (& other fans).
'Mon the Ladies.
GG

onthefence
05-08-2019, 10:27 PM
I think you're looking for reactions and are a wind up merchant. I think the tone of your posts are questionable and i dont see why someone who isn't a hibs fan would bother to post on a hibs forum. I'm not suggesting you're pretending to be anything you're not fan wise - however I do think you're looking for bites.

if I'm wrong then fair enough but it just seems iffy to me.

Why would I bother to post on a fans forum of a club I don’t support. Their is a few reasons as you have stated you read my post the other day. Now while I didn’t mention this as it wasn’t needed to be know hopefully this gives you a small lesson.

I live on my own. I am getting on. I was advised by professional people that while i am inside 4 walls myself the I am not alone due to the internet. I was told that due to my love of football to join a fans forum. I browsed it everyday for about 6 months before deciding to finally join. It’s nice to chat with like minded football people. Why Hibs? As I’ve said family members support hibs and hearts so I attend some games in the season mostly in the summer months. Do i go to Tynecastle? Yes occasionally. I have always preferred Hibs to hearts due to the style of football.

Are you the type of guy in a pub who wouldn’t let a random join in a conversation & make them feel unwelcome and uncomfortable. Don’t be to quick to judge people as you don’t know what’s going on in the inside.

Now I am in no way going through any mental health problems. Somtimes though it’s nice to chat and was advised not to feel alone and to go to the internet and connect with people with the same passion. After all I’m to old for that online dating ha ha.

Greentinted
06-08-2019, 01:02 AM
As a wee aside, re conflicts of interests did the late Brian Whittaker not have a non-playing role at Hearts while still actually playing for Falkirk? If I mInd right nobody was particularly bothered.

HoboHarry
06-08-2019, 02:17 AM
As a wee aside, re conflicts of interests did the late Brian Whittaker not have a non-playing role at Hearts while still actually playing for Falkirk? If I mInd right nobody was particularly bothered.
I had no idea he had died far less so long ago - that bit of news clearly passed me by at the time.....

Greentinted
06-08-2019, 02:57 AM
I had no idea he had died far less so long ago - that bit of news clearly passed me by at the time.....

Aye, a wee while ago now. He was involved in a major car crash no long after turning 40. Horrible.

jacomo
06-08-2019, 11:37 AM
Hi guys!

Yes it's a clear conflict of interest. I am not sure why we tolerate it tbh.