PDA

View Full Version : Jim Goodwin's comments about Hibs

G B Young
05-08-2019, 09:51 AM
Feel free to merge if already discussed, but I coudln't see mention of this on the Sportscene thread. Here's what Goodwin said in his BBC interview:

"They're a very good side. I really like the way Paul has his team playing. They're very attacking minded with some really good pace in the team, they're all comfortable on the ball and I think they'll turn teams over here this year maybe three or four nil."

I wasn't able to go to the game, but according to quite a few on here our performance didn't tally with Goodwin's view. Is it the case that as a manager he can see more than the average punter in terms of what Hecky's trying to do?

Hiber-nation
05-08-2019, 09:56 AM
We just don't have really good pace in the team. It was a strange thing to say but nice to hear him complimenting us.

B.H.F.C
05-08-2019, 09:56 AM
I think we have some good footballers as well. And I think we will be pretty strong at home.

But I’m not sure what pace he is referring to. Certainly not on Saturday.

Moulin Yarns
05-08-2019, 09:57 AM
Feel free to merge if already discussed, but I coudln't see mention of this on the Sportscene thread. Here's what Goodwin said in his BBC interview:

"They're a very good side. I really like the way Paul has his team playing. They're very attacking minded with some really good pace in the team, they're all comfortable on the ball and I think they'll turn teams over here this year maybe three or four nil."

I wasn't able to go to the game, but according to quite a few on here our performance didn't tally with Goodwin's view. Is it the case that as a manager he can see more than the average punter in terms of what Hecky's trying to do?

Interesting because I met a Newcastle supporter on Saturday who was at the friendly and he thought we lacked pace, passed the ball around nicely but were pedestrian when going forward. Newcastle had beaten St Etienne on Saturday and he is optimistic about their season.

calumhibee1
05-08-2019, 09:59 AM

I thought we played alright. I’d hope there was more to come but if we won by 2 or 3 I don’t think St Mirren could have complained.

Post twice, two open goals missed, two one on ones missed, a goal chalked off for offside that was miles onside and yet we still won the game.

Sir David Gray
05-08-2019, 09:59 AM
I think he's being nice that's all. Saturday wasn't a good performance at all and certainly not one where pace was on show.

Aim Here
05-08-2019, 10:00 AM
Interesting because I met a Newcastle supporter on Saturday who was at the friendly and he thought we lacked pace, passed the ball around nicely but were pedestrian when going forward. Newcastle had beaten St Etienne on Saturday and he is optimistic about their season.

When you've got that £40 million boy on the pitch, everybody else looks slow and pedestrian! The trouble is when you're making heavy weather of taking down St Mirren, albeit a St Mirren set up to frustrate you and catch you out.

hibee_girl
05-08-2019, 10:02 AM
I think some people were being harsh on us on Saturday, it wasn’t fast flowing football by any means but there were times when we played good football.

Newell, Horgan and Allan all looked pacy at points so I can see where Goodwin is coming from.

We could have scored 4 easily on Saturday (the goal, Kamberi’s ‘offside and the two Doidge missed) so I don’t think he’s far off tbh.

GreenOnions
05-08-2019, 10:09 AM
It's impossible to tell this early in the season but I can see where Goodwin is coming from.

I think some of the less positive comments from fans re Saturday's game have been wide of the mark.

St Mirren played really well I thought - were extremely well organised and carried a threat on the break.

We are still gelling as a team and I'm sure there's work to be done on our organisation/formation etc. We did commit a lot of players forward when attacking and it was this that enabled St Mirren to look dangerous on the break. We will have to watch that against better teams.

However - there were quite a number of passages of play in the final third where our passing was quick and accurate (including the goal) and I think we would have cut open most teams in the league with some of those.

Scott Allan was central in most of these passing movements but was not the only one involved. Most of our incisive play came through the centre. If we can get more from our wide players that would definitely help.

Although I'm sure there's a lot to work on for PH I think the fact that we did have that extra bit of quality in the final third that won us the game augurs well for the season ahead.

Smartie
05-08-2019, 10:14 AM
I agree with the comfortable on the ball part, all of our players have a good touch, get their head up and try to play football.

I don't think we're particularly pacey but you're not normally watching an opposition team that closely and sometimes you'll see a flash of something and extrapolate that into a bigger observation that doesn't exist (ie Horgan looks quicker than his man once or twice = Hibs have good pace in their team).

It's early days for our team but I agree that we might dole out the odd doing. If an early goal had settled us or either of the shots that hit the post had gone in then that might have been more comfortable.

Having said all of that I wasn't hugely impressed by us on Saturday. 3 points though, which is all that matters.

I'd also say that St Mirren were miles better than I was expecting them to be.

The_Exile
05-08-2019, 10:16 AM
Pace isn’t just running fast, it’s the speed in which we shift the ball, the speed of the players getting into space and the speed of good decisions and positioning which are far more important than getting in behind the oppositions defence. We have all of that, just need to see it click now and we will turn teams over fairly regularly at Easter Road.

Northernhibee
05-08-2019, 10:19 AM
I think some people were being harsh on us on Saturday, it wasn’t fast flowing football by any means but there were times when we played good football.

Newell, Horgan and Allan all looked pacy at points so I can see where Goodwin is coming from.

We could have scored 4 easily on Saturday (the goal, Kamberi’s ‘offside and the two Doidge missed) so I don’t think he’s far off tbh.

We also hit the post twice. Once of them led to the offside goal granted but although it wasn't thrilling, we played the way we need to play against these teams. You can run around all you want but if they create no space at all in their own half you need to display patience and I'm glad that although our support doesn't, our team does and we came away with not just the three points but the fact that if luck and poor refereeing wasn't against us it would have been even more comfortable.

Steve20
05-08-2019, 10:26 AM
He's being nice.

People's standards must have fell some way if they think we played alright on Saturday. Newell and Horgan would have been as well just leaving the pitch for all they did. They need to up their game as their meant to be two of our attacking players.

McSwanky
05-08-2019, 10:30 AM
When you lose, you talk up the opposition. Standard management procedure, especially early in the season. Don't think anyone can read too much into what was said.

The 90+2
05-08-2019, 10:30 AM
He’s bigging up his teams performance and giving us a backhanded compliment at the same time.

SMAXXA
05-08-2019, 10:37 AM
It's impossible to tell this early in the season but I can see where Goodwin is coming from.

I think some of the less positive comments from fans re Saturday's game have been wide of the mark.

St Mirren played really well I thought - were extremely well organised and carried a threat on the break.

We are still gelling as a team and I'm sure there's work to be done on our organisation/formation etc. We did commit a lot of players forward when attacking and it was this that enabled St Mirren to look dangerous on the break. We will have to watch that against better teams.

However - there were quite a number of passages of play in the final third where our passing was quick and accurate (including the goal) and I think we would have cut open most teams in the league with some of those.

Scott Allan was central in most of these passing movements but was not the only one involved. Most of our incisive play came through the centre. If we can get more from our wide players that would definitely help.

Although I'm sure there's a lot to work on for PH I think the fact that we did have that extra bit of quality in the final third that won us the game augurs well for the season ahead.

100% agree

Some of the interchanges were excellent and even the Doidge lay off for Allan was superb, it had been roles reverse Allan would be getting huge praise. We are a work in progress as all teams are but this myth that we were poor on Saturday is just that imo. Let’s not forget the pish we have watched over the years and the hoofball we played at times even during Lennon. I’d much rather watch is try to play than that any day of the week, yeatvit didn’t always come off but it’s the right approach imo.

WhileTheChief..
05-08-2019, 10:41 AM
So because he says something nice about us some of our fans must be wrong?

If he had slated us we would be calling him all the names under the sun and a no-mark.

Which he is.

hibbyfraelibby
05-08-2019, 10:44 AM
We do have pace in the team but we dont always use it. The pedestrian tippy tappy across the back 4 is a tactic dictated by the coach but when we want we can and do move it quickly to playets who can shift going forward. We can even track back at pace too, witness Flo getting all the way back toward the end when young Sean was left stranded out of position after bombing up field.

Goodwin was being gracious in defeat but not dishonest.

B.H.F.C
05-08-2019, 10:45 AM
100% agree

Some of the interchanges were excellent and even the Doidge lay off for Allan was superb, it had been roles reverse Allan would be getting huge praise. We are a work in progress as all teams are but this myth that we were poor on Saturday is just that imo. Let’s not forget the pish we have watched over the years and the hoofball we played at times even during Lennon. I’d much rather watch is try to play than that any day of the week, yeatvit didn’t always come off but it’s the right approach imo.

Don’t think it’s a myth that we were poor.

We created next to nothing for the first hour. We improved after that and created some good chances (Kamberi and Doidge should have both scored, done out of a goal by a shocker of a decision).

I think we deserved to sneak a win but there is a hell of a lot to improve on.

The Harp
05-08-2019, 10:50 AM
While Goodwin's comments may have been partly to praise his side for only losing to us 1-0, I'd rather take more notice of his thoughts on the game than some of the experts on here.
Think we've plenty room for improvement, but St Mirren weren't nearly as bad as I expected.

SquashedFrogg
05-08-2019, 10:57 AM
While Goodwin's comments may have been partly to praise his side for only losing to us 1-0, I'd rather take more notice of his thoughts on the game than some of the experts on here.
Think we've plenty room for improvement, but St Mirren weren't nearly as bad as I expected.

Was actually quite surprised with St Mirren tbf.

Hibernian Verse
05-08-2019, 11:06 AM
Was actually quite surprised with St Mirren tbf.

I think people expected us to turn up and pump them 3 or 4. The way it went they were a lot better than expected.

matty_f
05-08-2019, 11:08 AM
Goodwin is right - and he set up his team to negate our strengths and our style of play.

jax67
05-08-2019, 11:11 AM
I thought we played alright. I’d hope there was more to come but if we won by 2 or 3 I don’t think St Mirren could have complained.

Post twice, two open goals missed, two one on ones missed, a goal chalked off for offside that was miles onside and yet we still won the game.

Yep, I thought we played well at times, especially when Slivka came on. He and Vela could be a good two in the middle against the stronger sides.

cabbageandribs1875
05-08-2019, 11:12 AM
and i'l compliment goodwin, his team were very well organised and could have won that game, i doubt they will be fighting relegation this season on that showing, thankfully we have a scott allan

macca70
05-08-2019, 11:16 AM
He was actually very complimentary of Hibs/Hecky and came across very well.

It’s weird how you build a perception of someone based on playing style then he actually comes across as a really decent guy.

Broken Gnome
05-08-2019, 11:29 AM
Not saying five good minutes makes up for the more plodding moments, but there were points in the first half where we did look good and managed to work it through with one-twos and decent moves. Kamberi and Doidge's two chances in the second half as well - figured that was the game plan, where we're fine keeping the ball for long periods with little threat if we end up in those positions at the end of it.

Too little pace and didn't have the movement to make it happen often enough, hence we ended up looking dull and passing it around for the hell of it for large spells. If people decide it's going to be boring all season so be it, but if you can trust we might improve and get more of those moments then the weekend reaction is OTT.

Danderhall Hibs
05-08-2019, 11:32 AM
When you lose, you talk up the opposition. Standard management procedure, especially early in the season. Don't think anyone can read too much into what was said.

:agree: it was nice to hear but I reckon more to do with keeping the pressure of himself after their start to the season.

SMAXXA
05-08-2019, 11:35 AM
Think the argument about pace is an interesting one for that game as they sat that deep wasn’t like there were tons of space to run into. I thought St Mirren played well and won’t be relegation fodder on that and as was said above they deserve credit, we won’t have it all out own way this season and teams like that will come to frustrate. We got over the line which is the main thing.

Since452
05-08-2019, 11:38 AM

He'd never fit in on hibs.net

brog
05-08-2019, 11:39 AM
Goodwin is right - and he set up his team to negate our strengths and our style of play.

Correct! He had SJM's brother at LB to man mark Horgan & others on Allan & Mallan. It was pretty effective but I thought 2 PH's changed the game. Firstly, Paul Heck changed formation & personnel, it worked. Secondly St M were leaving Jackson as our free man & he wasn't doing much with the ball. Paul H took it on himself to step forward into the midfield with the ball & it paid off with the winning goal. A captain's part. As others have said pace isn't just about running fast, it's moving the ball quickly. We saw that in 2nd half when Mallan just shifted ball on & it resulted in a decent chance. Also the offside goal resulted from excellent passing at pace from Whittaker, Kamberi & Horgan before the latter crossed for Newell.
I recognise Goodwin was effectively talking his own team up but his comments re us were decent & balanced IMO. More balanced than some comments on here certainly.

surreyhibbie
05-08-2019, 11:40 AM
I can only go by the highlights shown on Hibs TV - and I thought we looked pretty good with passing and movement.

Ok, there weren't that many highlights but...

matty_f
05-08-2019, 11:43 AM
Think the argument about pace is an interesting one for that game as they sat that deep wasn’t like there were tons of space to run into. I thought St Mirren played well and won’t be relegation fodder on that and as was said above they deserve credit, we won’t have it all out own way this season and teams like that will come to frustrate. We got over the line which is the main thing.

I agree, for pace to be effective it needs space to run into - St Mirren filled their defence though we did still get in behind them at times.

I have seen many better teams than Hibs struggle to break down 'lesser' teams who are very well organised.

The key thing is that we found a way to win.

Jim44
05-08-2019, 11:44 AM

It’s weird how you build a perception of someone based on playing style then he actually comes across as a really decent guy.

Yep. I couldn’t stand him when he was playing for St Mirren but he comes across as a decent bloke. Whether or not his perception of us was accurate remains to be seen.

matty_f
05-08-2019, 11:44 AM
Correct! He had SJM's brother at LB to man mark Horgan & others on Allan & Mallan. It was pretty effective but I thought 2 PH's changed the game. Firstly, Paul Heck changed formation & personnel, it worked. Secondly St M were leaving Jackson as our free man & he wasn't doing much with the ball. Paul H took it on himself to step forward into the midfield with the ball & it paid off with the winning goal. A captain's part. As others have said pace isn't just about running fast, it's moving the ball quickly. We saw that in 2nd half when Mallan just shifted ball on & it resulted in a decent chance. Also the offside goal resulted from excellent passing at pace from Whittaker, Kamberi & Horgan before the latter crossed for Newell.
I recognise Goodwin was effectively talking his own team up but his comments re us were decent & balanced IMO. More balanced than some comments on here certainly.

:agree:

SChibs
05-08-2019, 11:48 AM

He's one of those players who seems to just play a character on the pitch and is different off of it. His style of play wasn't pretty but it seemed to be pretty effective and he made a good living from it. Seems to be a decent manager too so fair enough to the guy.

JeMeSouviens
05-08-2019, 11:49 AM

I think he's trying to convince his own players that only losing 1-0 wasn't a bad result and so boost their confidence a wee bit.

calumhibee1
05-08-2019, 11:49 AM
He's one of those players who seems to just play a character on the pitch and is different off of it. His style of play wasn't pretty but it seemed to be pretty effective and he made a good living from it. Seems to be a decent manager too so fair enough to the guy.

Apparently he’s a really decent guy off the pitch.

sean04
05-08-2019, 11:52 AM
I think some people are not seeing what st mirren did to us. There game plan worked for 60/70mins. We haven't been at our best and could've easily won the game 3/4 nil if kamberi goal stands and doidge takes his chances. Also Allan's attempt that hit the inside of the post. 1st game of the season, we got the job done

GreenCastle
05-08-2019, 12:04 PM
Apparently he’s a really decent guy off the pitch.

He is a really good guy off the pitch and can't stand Hearts. He also played through pain to win the cup for St Mirren v Hearts.

Just one of these guys who was a nightmare on it when you played against him.

JohnMcM
05-08-2019, 12:15 PM
I think people expected us to turn up and pump them 3 or 4. The way it went they were a lot better than expected.

Hands up here, I was one of them.

Despite everything that's been said since the game, personally, I'm still disappointed with the result and confused about what Hecky's tactics are on the pitch. That was not a high-pressing game from us in my humble opinion, even taking into account St Mirren sitting in and looking to hit on the break.

Yes, we made chances and had a 'good' goal disallowed again. Yes, the build up was slow and the pace low for longish periods. Yes, we have players who can be better than they showed on Saturday. Yes, as has been mentioned, there may have been players who looked out of the game with their positioning. Yes, we have good players to come back from injury.

Whilst acknowledging those points, we should remember before over-criticising the team and individuals that if they value their job, value their place in the team and want to play for us, they will play the way Hecky tells them to. It's not their fault if they do what they are coached to do.

:flag:

snedzuk
05-08-2019, 12:56 PM
I can only go by the highlights shown on Hibs TV - and I thought we looked pretty good with passing and movement.

Ok, there weren't that many highlights but...

I watched the pitch side highlights yesterday and they make us look a load better than I thought at the game - worth a watch link is on the Facebook page.

ahibby
05-08-2019, 01:04 PM
I think we have some good footballers as well. And I think we will be pretty strong at home.

But I’m not sure what pace he is referring to. Certainly not on Saturday.

Their defenders were skinned at times, even Flo Kamberi beat their defenders in a sprint and with the ball to get in behind. There was nothing slow about us just poor finishing and a very poor assistant referee decision, otherwise we'd have had a few.

malcolm
05-08-2019, 01:09 PM

It’s the same as wondering why you can see little evidence of a high press when we have been playing teams who have been on the back foot with the whole team behind the ball. Moving it about in patient fashion to make some space where there is none to exploit with the ‘missing’ pace is sometimes what you have to do and that may often start with the defenders and those linking with them.

I’d also say that while it’s not a black and white choice between hoof ball and fine passing football, all this moaning about passing it about and not getting it forward quickly is in danger of being seen as a plea for hoofball :greengrin

I enjoyed a lot of the play on Saturday and it is ever so true, not just that goals change games but, that they change folks perceptions of the game they have just watched. It will be interesting to see how we do at the weekend when we will face a different kind of set up.

B.H.F.C
05-08-2019, 01:10 PM
Their defenders were skinned at times, even Flo Kamberi beat their defenders in a sprint and with the ball to get in behind. There was nothing slow about us just poor finishing and a very poor assistant referee decision, otherwise we'd have had a few.

Disagree. We had a few good passages of play. It’s not just about people running quickly. It’s about moving the ball quickly. When we did that, like for the goal, it was good. But we didn’t do it enough, especially in the first half.

ahibby
05-08-2019, 01:16 PM
Disagree. We had a few good passages of play. It’s not just about people running quickly. It’s about moving the ball quickly. When we did that, like for the goal, it was good. But we didn’t do it enough, especially in the first half.

No I'm pretty sure this thread is about the pace of players, i.e. speed of individuals. There were a few one touch passes too. Some players ran with the ball but I didn't see much if any dithering going on. I doubt whether both I and Jim Goodwin are wrong. The score which flattered St Mirren in my view has had an effect on opinions, due to the quick play that got us behind them a few times in the second half we should have come out of that with four goals. My main complaint isn't the over all speed of play but the poor finishing.

B.H.F.C
05-08-2019, 01:39 PM
No I'm pretty sure this thread is about the pace of players, i.e. speed of individuals. There were a few one touch passes too. Some players ran with the ball but I didn't see much if any dithering going on. I doubt whether both I and Jim Goodwin are wrong. The score which flattered St Mirren in my view has had an effect on opinions, due to the quick play that got us behind them a few times in the second half we should have come out of that with four goals. My main complaint isn't the over all speed of play but the poor finishing.

I just interpret it to be the pace of our play generally whether it is running with the ball, how we press, how we pass the ball or whatever.

If you thought that was all done at pace on Saturday, particularly in the first half then we were at different games, particularly in the first half.

I acknowledged that I thought we were better in the last half an hour, mainly once we’d changed shape. The first hour, I thought was garbage though.

As for Jim Goodwin, I’m sure he will get a few things wrong in his time.

ahibby
05-08-2019, 01:44 PM
I just interpret it to be the pace of our play generally whether it is running with the ball, how we press, how we pass the ball or whatever.

If you thought that was all done at pace on Saturday, particularly in the first half then we were at different games, particularly in the first half.

I acknowledged that I thought we were better in the last half an hour, mainly once we’d changed shape. The first hour, I thought was garbage though.

As for Jim Goodwin, I’m sure he will get a few things wrong in his time.

That's fair enough, we did lack all sorts of pace in the first half and I was really only focussing on the final half an hour.

surreyhibbie
05-08-2019, 03:33 PM
I watched the pitch side highlights yesterday and they make us look a load better than I thought at the game - worth a watch link is on the Facebook page.

yeah, I did that as well. thought we looked good. not the same as being at the game of course...

Torto7
05-08-2019, 03:39 PM
Seeing that interview shocked my well held belief that he was a dirty weegie hatchet man who resembled an alchy on Sauchiehall street.

First of all he's Irish(I didn't realise) and he has that soft Irish accent that's easy on the ears and dare I say it the silver fox look suits him. Add that in with his gushing comments on the Hibees and he's moved up in my estimation and is now no longer a dirty weegie hatchet man who resembles an alchy on Sauchiehall street, he is in a fact silver foxed, nice accented dirty hatchet man from somewhere in Ireland who might become a manager worthy of stepping up in a season or two.

ancient hibee
05-08-2019, 03:49 PM
I think he's trying to convince his own players that only losing 1-0 wasn't a bad result and so boost their confidence a wee bit.

That’s exactly right and is what a good manager does.He will also know that despite us having little pace had the linesman done his job properly and our new striker been as proficient as my mother we would have won by at least four goals.

Sammy7nil
05-08-2019, 05:24 PM

I think they could easily scored a couple not counting Rockys two saves. So maybe a 4-2 win

I think he's being nice that's all. Saturday wasn't a good performance at all and certainly not one where pace was on show.

See below

Keith_M
05-08-2019, 05:56 PM

:agree:

TBF, it's nice to hear a manager actually compliment the opposition, as there's plenty that never have a good word to say (looking at you, Craigie Boy)

Pilrig_Sauzee
05-08-2019, 06:30 PM
Watched the game online as was on holiday, and it’s never the same as being In the ground,, but thought the game was job done, some positives and some examples of where we will need to be better if we’re realistic about top 4.

In my view there will be a plenty of such games this season where the opposition are organised counter-attackers, and in the past we often haven’t picked up the points but i genuinely believe PH is a learning manager who can communicate with his squad, and expect us to have the patience to win more of these games than was previously the case.

It’s not the passing along the back 4 that’s the problem, it’s how quickly we can ramp up the tempo when the opportunities arise. More of that needed. Much more, but i reckon we have someone at the helm who can get into players’ heads without crushing their confidence.

I think it will come and as a side we have to be able to go from being patient against stuffy St Mirren to going to Ibrox and having the balls to run at them and take risks.

And strikers need to take their chances, of which we created enough to win by a healthy margin on another day.

All three of the available points bagged and a fascinating encounter at Ibrox to look forward to.

Not In The Know
12-08-2019, 07:47 AM
Hopefully he was being nice so we consider him for the job.

Diclonius
12-08-2019, 07:49 AM
As bad as yesterday's result was, I think St Mirren's result against Aberdeen puts things into a little perspective. They're nowhere near as bad as their pre-season results suggested.

sean04
12-08-2019, 08:04 AM
We completely dominated against st mirren. I said after the game last week that they would be fine this year

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 08:08 AM
We completely dominated against st mirren. I said after the game last week that they would be fine this year

We did. They had a couple half chances, we had 6 or 7 very good chances. We were nowhere near as bad as people are making out last week.

bigwheel
12-08-2019, 08:11 AM
We did. They had a couple half chances, we had 6 or 7 very good chances. We were nowhere near as bad as people are making out last week.

Stats...

We out shot St Mirren 18-14. Both of us had 5 on target....we dominated possession 63/37...but they could easily have scored / won too....

sean04
12-08-2019, 08:14 AM
Stats...

We out shot St Mirren 18-14. Both of us had 5 on target....we dominated possession 63/37...but they could easily have scored / won too....

They created half chances, rocky made 2 saves that you would expect your keeper to save. Doidge should've had a hat trick, flo goal disallowed. Could've easily been 3/4-0

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 08:15 AM
Stats...

You can have 5 shots on target from 40 yards, compared to 5 saved one on ones. It doesn’t mean you were as likely to score.

Happy to be proven wrong but I don’t remember St Mirren having any great chances last week. We had two open goals, hit the post twice and a goal offside that was miles on. On top of that we actually did score one that counted aswell.

As for the stats by the way, the offside goal and hitting the post twice wouldn’t have counted towards the on target efforts. Neither would the two open goals. So our 5 best opportunities are hardly even represented in those stats seeing as the most damning looks to be 5 on target each.

bigwheel
12-08-2019, 08:23 AM
You can have 5 shots on target from 40 yards, compared to 5 saved one on ones. It doesn’t mean you were as likely to score.

Happy to be proven wrong but I don’t remember St Mirren having any great chances last week. We had two open goals, hit the post twice and a goal offside that was miles on. On top of that we actually did score one that counted aswell.

As for the stats by the way, the offside goal and hitting the post twice wouldn’t have counted towards the on target efforts. Neither would the two open goals. So our 5 best opportunities are hardly even represented in those stats seeing as the most damning looks to be 5 on target each.

Yeah, but the game wasn’t like that ...they had 2-3 great chances ..one in the first half was a compete sitter ...we dominated possession, but could easily have lost goals

dalkeith stu
12-08-2019, 08:37 AM
Yeah, but the game wasn’t like that ...they had 2-3 great chances ..one in the first half was a compete sitter ...we dominated possession, but could easily have lost goals

Why are we still arguing about last week. Yesterday has proved the are a good well organised side that's hard to break down. We won last week and it could/ should've been by more!!

emerald green
12-08-2019, 09:10 AM
I wonder if Goodwin stills thinks the same after Hibs non showing at Greyskull yesterday?

From what I can gather, if it wasn't for Marciano, it could have been much worse than 6-1.

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 09:13 AM

If that’s the case then I hold my hands up. I don’t remember any great chances though.

sean04
12-08-2019, 09:29 AM
If that’s the case then I hold my hands up. I don’t remember any great chances though.

They had a couple of shots from outside the box, header from a corner in the 2nd half. Hanlon had to make last ditch tackle in the 1st half. Apart from that I don't think they managed anything else

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 09:51 AM
They had a couple of shots from outside the box, header from a corner in the 2nd half. Hanlon had to make last ditch tackle in the 1st half. Apart from that I don't think they managed anything else

That’s more how I remember it. Certainly no chances of the level of Doidges two open goals, Newells header, Flo or Doidges one on ones or Flo’s onside goal. Or even the goal we actually scored.

Hibeesmad
12-08-2019, 09:53 AM
What was the incident he had with Victor Palsson a few years back? Was he just consistently hacking the boy, I can’t recall the game fully.

calumhibee1
12-08-2019, 09:59 AM
What was the incident he had with Victor Palsson a few years back? Was he just consistently hacking the boy, I can’t recall the game fully.

That actually rings a bell. What a player he looked for the first two games or so.

jacomo
12-08-2019, 10:00 AM

We had a good few chances too.

I think we deserved our win v St Mirren, who have now shown they are no mugs.

Hibeesmad
12-08-2019, 10:08 AM
That actually rings a bell. What a player he looked for the first two games or so.

He’s only 28, currently playing for that team we got MacLaren from.