PDA

View Full Version : The professional foul

lord bunberry
04-08-2019, 02:32 PM
Is it about time the professional foul was a red card offence? There was one in the game yesterday and there’s just been one in the hearts game. It really gets on my nerves that a player can just pull someone down or trip them and it’s only a yellow card. There’s no attempt to play the ball and it usually stops a promising attack. All this taking one for the team doesn’t wash with me, it’s blatant cheating.

Keith_M
04-08-2019, 02:37 PM
Is it about time the professional foul was a red card offence? There was one in the game yesterday and there’s just been one in the hearts game. It really gets on my nerves that a player can just pull someone down or trip them and it’s only a yellow card. There’s no attempt to play the ball and it usually stops a promising attack. All this taking one for the team doesn’t wash with me, it’s blatant cheating.

Who was it that committed the professional foul yesterday? I have a vague memory of there being one but not sure who it was.

lord bunberry
04-08-2019, 02:40 PM
Who was it that committed the professional foul yesterday? I have a vague memory of there being one but not sure who it was.
I can’t remember who was involved, but it was just over the halfway line near the dugout. The St Mirren player hauled down the hibs player after a mistake.

Bangkok Hibby
04-08-2019, 02:49 PM

I'd like to see the end of yellow cards and introduce a sin bin. Being down to 10 or even 9 men for ten minutes might stop a lot of the nonsense that goes on.

Clarence
04-08-2019, 02:52 PM
I'd like to see the end of yellow cards and introduce a sin bin. Being down to 10 or even 9 men for ten minutes might stop a lot of the nonsense that goes on.

Power play to the Edinboro Hibernators! Wee Ron might be able to sell the TV rights to the yanks.

hibbysam
04-08-2019, 02:53 PM

Issue with that is that ref’s would absolutely love the chance to sin bin a player to give an old firm side a man advantage for ten minutes. Our current laws would need changed dramatically, it works in rugby as it’s only really dangerous tackles, ‘persistent fouling’ in dangerous areas or professional fouls that get yellow cards.

Moulin Yarns
04-08-2019, 02:54 PM

Happening in England this season

http://www.thefa.com/get-involved/respect/sin-bins

matty_f
I’m 100% with you on that one. It’s brutal, definitely should be a red card offence imho.

lord bunberry
I’m not against that idea as sometimes a yellow isn’t enough and a red is a bit severe.

Keith_M
04-08-2019, 02:58 PM
I can’t remember who was involved, but it was just over the halfway line near the dugout. The St Mirren player hauled down the hibs player after a mistake.

That's the one, cheers.

:aok:

Tynie01011973
04-08-2019, 03:04 PM

It was McPherson the right back, just managed to stop ball going out for Hibs throw after miscontrol,left it for Newell to head down the line so just hauled him down

lord bunberry
04-08-2019, 03:12 PM
It was McPherson the right back, just managed to stop ball going out for Hibs throw after miscontrol,left it for Newell to head down the line so just hauled him down
That’s right I remember it now.

Monts
04-08-2019, 03:15 PM
So we're decided then. Sin bin for professional fouls...

lord bunberry
04-08-2019, 03:16 PM
It has to be more than a red card, that’s all I’m saying :greengrin

ancient hibee
04-08-2019, 07:33 PM

It was Mackie,totally left for dead and no attempt to play the ball.Not even a yellow despite the St Mirren player would have had a free run into the box.Lucky boy.

hibsbollah
04-08-2019, 07:37 PM
Are we talking about a professional foul anywhere on the pitch? It wasn't that long ago when it became a compulsory straight red for a professional foul denying a goal scoring opportunity , certainly in England. I remember the foul that stimulated the rule change; Willie Young on a West Ham striker, Arsenal West Ham FA Cup final 1980, one of those straight through on goal, running at the keeper, chasing centre back takes his legs away from behind kind of challenges.

BILLYHIBS
04-08-2019, 07:38 PM
Still think Dave Beaumont should have halved Wayne Foster at the half way line in the Scottish Cup at Easter Road many moons ago leaving him a clean run in on Jim Leighton :greengrin

Older Posters Only

CockneyRebel
04-08-2019, 07:50 PM
Still think Dave Beaumont should have halved Wayne Foster at the half way line in the Scottish Cup at Easter Road many moons ago leaving him a clean run in on Jim Leighton :greengrin

Older Posters Only

I remember it well. Most of the hibs support screaming for Beaumont to take him out (not a GBH tackle just stop him). It was late in the game with not much time to get one back. If I recall correctly we had been on top for most of the game and we were incensed because it was so against the run of play. When a hibs player takes one for the team it is completely different from when it happens to one of our players - it's called green goggles.

CMurdoch
04-08-2019, 11:23 PM

I hate the ones like the Hearts kid Hickie committed in the 1st half against Aberdeen.
A yellow wasn't enough of a punishment at the time although karma didn't half bite him on the arse later on in the game.

There is little enough excitement in games without player committing so called professional fouls.
Taking one for the team in these circumstances cheats the fans.

Red cards also cheat the fans by ruining the game if they happen early in the match.
Sin binned for 20 minutes would be sufficient punishment in most cases.
Obviously severe cases would remain off for the whole game.

One of the best examples i can remember is when Beckham was sent off in the World Cup against Argentina for petulantly flicking a foot up at an opponent whilst lying on the ground. It was deemed violent conduct but no way should something like that mean a player is sent off for the whole match. Totally ruined the match.

Forza Fred
05-08-2019, 04:41 AM

It’s the NRL way.

Although I have always thought the cal ing of fouls as ‘professional fouls’ a misnomer.

Does anyone from Queens Park or any other amateur club commit a professional foul?

It’s almost as if we somehow condone the inevitability of the offence in a higher grade of football.

Cynical foul would be a preferred term, and pretty sure the term ‘professional foul’ does not appear in the rule book.

The football one anyway, it unfortunately does in Oz’s NRL.

DetroitHibs
05-08-2019, 05:25 AM
Would rather we keep the game the way it is. Making a tackle these days is hard enough.

jakedance
05-08-2019, 06:16 AM

Older Posters Only

This what I came here looking for. I’ll never forgive him.

we are hibs
05-08-2019, 06:37 AM
Some of the tackles should be a red card offence alone. Remember away to st.johnstone mcginn was absolutely clattered as we broke away and the boy only got a yellow because its deemed as a "professional foul"? Its a nonsense law

Billy Whizz
05-08-2019, 06:52 AM
I hate the ones like the Hearts kid Hickie committed in the 1st half against Aberdeen.
A yellow wasn't enough of a punishment at the time although karma didn't half bite him on the arse later on in the game.

There is little enough excitement in games without player committing so called professional fouls.
Taking one for the team in these circumstances cheats the fans.

Red cards also cheat the fans by ruining the game if they happen early in the match.
Sin binned for 20 minutes would be sufficient punishment in most cases.
Obviously severe cases would remain off for the whole game.

One of the best examples i can remember is when Beckham was sent off in the World Cup against Argentina for petulantly flicking a foot up at an opponent whilst lying on the ground. It was deemed violent conduct but no way should something like that mean a player is sent off for the whole match. Totally ruined the match.

Hickeys 1st yellow was a shocker. As it was off the ball, should have been a straight red. Just a cynical challenge. Doing these at only 16!!!

lyonhibs
05-08-2019, 07:14 AM
I’m 100% with you on that one. It’s brutal, definitely should be a red card offence imho.

Depends where on the pitch it is and what's between the attacker and the goal. Can't be having a red card for an attacker tripping a full back that's just skinned him near the defender's corner flag, for example.

A break from midfield where the attacking player was right through on the back 4 with players in support is a different matter, but would you trust our refs to know the difference?

lord bunberry
05-08-2019, 12:14 PM
Depends where on the pitch it is and what's between the attacker and the goal. Can't be having a red card for an attacker tripping a full back that's just skinned him near the defender's corner flag, for example.

A break from midfield where the attacking player was right through on the back 4 with players in support is a different matter, but would you trust our refs to know the difference?
This is where I disagree. If a player kicks or hits another player off the ball it’s a straight red. There’s no difference in the so called professional foul, one player is deliberately kicking or pulling another player down with absolutely no intention of playing the ball. Someone mentioned the Beckham red card in the World Cup, that was just a flick of his leg, most professional fouls are far more cynical and aggressive. The law seems give players carte blanche to bring someone down and it’s almost always just a yellow card.

Turnbullsmate
05-08-2019, 04:34 PM

Older Posters Only

I remember it well. Most of the hibs support screaming for Beaumont to take him out (not a GBH tackle just stop him). It was late in the game with not much time to get one back. If I recall correctly we had been on top for most of the game and we were incensed because it was so against the run of play. When a hibs player takes one for the team it is completely different from when it happens to one of our players - it's called green goggles.

Was in the old cowshed with my eldest screaming "****** SNAP him" (Beaumont that is, no my eldest)..... Think beaumont swung us a deafie that afternoon the gutless ****