PDA

View Full Version : Marciano

Weegreenman
04-08-2019, 11:56 AM
Outstanding saves yesterday. Couldn’t see it anywhere else and needs to be said, we have one hell of a goalie :agree:

DarlingtonHibee
04-08-2019, 11:58 AM
Him and whittaker motm.

LaMotta
04-08-2019, 11:58 AM
Outstanding saves yesterday. Couldn’t see it anywhere else and needs to be said, we have one hell of a goalie :agree:

:agree::agree::agree:

Although someone will be along shortly to tell us that he's not that good and we can easily get better:cb

04Sauzee
04-08-2019, 12:01 PM
Best keeper since the likes of Goram and Leighton. Anderson could have been a great keeper had we kept a hold of him

Weegreenman
04-08-2019, 12:03 PM
Him and whittaker motm.

Wouldn’t argue with that :aok:

BoomtownHibees
04-08-2019, 12:04 PM
Aye but he canny kick a baw 🙄

wookie70
04-08-2019, 12:11 PM

I thought at the game that his two saves were bread and butter and I've not changed my mind watching the highlights. I'd be very disappointed if any top level keeper let those efforts in. More worrying is throwing the ball straight to one of their players and juggling a simple cross. He did fine yesterday but nowhere near MOTM in my opinion

Mick O'Rourke
04-08-2019, 12:12 PM
Best keeper since the likes of Goram and Leighton. Anderson could have been a great keeper had we kept a hold of him

Will second that.
Although we have been the subject of jokes and ridicule for one or two keepers we have had over the yea rs.

The "good" goalies at Hibernian over the years far outweigh the "bad"
And the list is long.

The "Scourge of the Arabs" aka Conrad, didnt do too badly.

And thinking back, The Budgie helped us to a cup final win too with his display against the defunct club formerly known as Rangers.

Jamesie
04-08-2019, 12:18 PM
I'm in two minds as to whether the saves were bread and butter or top class. The main thing is that he he amde them though I guess. Distribution by hand a bit suspect on one occasion when he played the ball to Horgan who had a man on, but I take some responsibility for that as I was pointing quite vocally at Horgan at the time who wa ls initially in space but got shut down quickly.

My_Wife_Camille
04-08-2019, 12:18 PM
Best goalkeeper in the league and probably the best I’ve seen at Hibs. We are so lucky to have him

Allant1981
04-08-2019, 12:22 PM
Best goalkeeper in the league and probably the best I’ve seen at Hibs. We are so lucky to have him

Yip agree 100%, I said on here last season we had 2 of the best keepers in the league and a few posters shot me down in flames because alan mcgregor won some trophies years ago and that makes him better now and the best keeper in the league

wookie70
04-08-2019, 12:29 PM
I'm in two minds as to whether the saves were bread and butter or top class. The main thing is that he he amde them though I guess. Distribution by hand a bit suspect on one occasion when he played the ball to Horgan who had a man on, but I take some responsibility for that as I was pointing quite vocally at Horgan at the time who wa ls initially in space but got shut down quickly.

He definitely made them look top class and as another poster said the important bit was he made them.

I watched the highlights again as clearly I'm in the minority about yesterday. I still think he is a very good keeper on the whole so agree with others there. The fist save from their no 11 was pretty much straight at him. Easy save in my book but from a very well hit shot. The second save I'd need to see from behind the goals as it may have moved. Rocky dived to his left and saved the ball with his right hand which was almost where his starting point was as he made contact with the ball. That looked like a shot that could have been easily caught if there wasn't movement on the ball. It would have been very poor goalkeeping if either shot had beaten him imo. He did his job but nothing special and he has a host of very special saves to his name with us.

The best save in teh game was their Keepers from Flo. Got down very quickly and saved well.

Speedway
04-08-2019, 12:39 PM
Easily my favourite keeper since Leighton.

He can’t kick, but neither could Leighton.

He’s one of those rare keepers where, when the opposition gets past our defence you think, ‘Rocky’s Got this’.

Definitely a ‘keeper’

calumhibee1
04-08-2019, 12:40 PM
Easily my favourite keeper since Leighton.

He can’t kick, but neither could Leighton.

He’s one of those rare keepers where, when the opposition gets past our defence you think, ‘Rocky’s Got this’.

Definitely a ‘keeper’

I don’t really remember Leighton, but from 98 or so onwards he’s by a distance the best keeper we’ve had imo. I bloody love the guy.

Allant1981
04-08-2019, 12:42 PM
I don’t really remember Leighton, but from 98 or so onwards he’s by a distance the best keeper we’ve had imo. I bloody love the guy.

Leighton was a cracking keeper but his kicking was up there with the worst I've ever seen

lord bunberry
04-08-2019, 12:44 PM
I also think he’s the best keeper in the league. His shot stopping is outstanding especially one on one, his only weakness is his distribution. The guy at Aberdeen is the only one who is up there with him imo.

Pretty Boy
04-08-2019, 12:49 PM

Although someone will be along shortly to tell us that he's not that good and we can easily get better:cb

Excellent contribution to the thread, really conductive to a positive atmosphere and an engaging discussion.

Brightside
04-08-2019, 12:51 PM
I thought at the game that his two saves were bread and butter and I've not changed my mind watching the highlights. I'd be very disappointed if any top level keeper let those efforts in. More worrying is throwing the ball straight to one of their players and juggling a simple cross. He did fine yesterday but nowhere near MOTM in my opinion
Agreed. He did his job well. But both of his decent saves are ones he’d expect to save 10 times out of 10.

Weegreenman
04-08-2019, 04:30 PM
It’s quite astonishing how some folk see things differently from others. I genuinely thought they were two brilliant saves but I haven’t honestly seen any replays yet, so all I can go by is what I saw at the game and how important it felt that they didn’t take the lead. I’ll watch with interest tonight at the highlights.

Blaster
04-08-2019, 05:38 PM
I thought the first was an excellent save and the 2nd was a camera save

Shrekko
04-08-2019, 05:39 PM

Who’s going to say that like? Don’t know any Hibs fan who thinks that.

The Wireless
04-08-2019, 05:41 PM
Aye but he canny kick a baw 🙄
If he could kick a naw he would be in goal for Barcelona.:agree::agree:

LaMotta
04-08-2019, 05:42 PM
Excellent contribution to the thread, really conductive to a positive atmosphere and an engaging discussion.

Well that's what happened the last time there was a thread about Marciano, and quite frankly it's an astonishing viewpoint imo of course. I'm glad that no one has come along to suggest it though, perhaps some common sense setting in.

Still waiting for a meaningful contribution from you on this thread though.

:banana:

LaMotta
04-08-2019, 05:44 PM
Who’s going to say that like? Don’t know any Hibs fan who thinks that.

Several people said it on the last thread there was about Marciano. Bizaare but true. Someone even accused Marciano of being Howler prone.

lord bunberry
04-08-2019, 05:50 PM
One of his biggest attributes is that he has very strong hands. Having played a bit in goals it’s not an easy thing to stay loose enough to be able to move in either direction, but retain that strength to be able to bat the ball to safety like he does. He’s an outstanding shot stopper and we should be thankful we have him.

zitelli62
04-08-2019, 06:10 PM
Said last year we had the two best keepers in the league now we have the best keeper in the league he will take some replacing if he goes.

500miles
04-08-2019, 06:12 PM
He seems to have cut out the silly mistakes too.

Wembley67
04-08-2019, 06:32 PM
Wife is hot.

H18 SFR
04-08-2019, 06:36 PM
Wife is hot.

Disrespectful!! She's smoking!

Jack Hackett
04-08-2019, 06:38 PM
There isn't a goalie in the world... or ever has been, or will be... who's perfect. We have Rocky, and I hope like **** I can say the same in a months time

SRHibs
04-08-2019, 06:41 PM
Genuinely think he would be comfortable playing in the EPL.

PatHead
04-08-2019, 07:59 PM
Genuinely think he would be comfortable playing in the EPL.

I was worried we would lose him in the summer. Glad that is not the case.

Billy Whizz
04-08-2019, 08:06 PM
I was worried we would lose him in the summer. Glad that is not the case.

Window isn’t shut yet

Souter96Mac
04-08-2019, 08:10 PM
Very good keeper, will be gutted when he leaves. Hopefully it isn't this season.

Glory Lurker
04-08-2019, 08:11 PM
I don’t really remember Leighton,

Me: Sigh, it's the end of the weekend and a tough working week beckons. At least I've not read anything that adds to my blues by reminding me I'm not getting any younger.

[Opens this thread]

:-)

calumhibee1
04-08-2019, 08:14 PM
Me: Sigh, it's the end of the weekend and a tough working week beckons. At least I've not read anything that adds to my blues by reminding me I'm not getting any younger.

[Opens this thread]

:-)

:greengrin

Future17
04-08-2019, 08:24 PM
Probably between Marciano and Joe Lewis for best in the league.

kentao
04-08-2019, 08:37 PM
Joe Lewis save from berra's header was top class today. But agree is between the 2 of them. Always feel confident when rocky is between the sticks.

Sir David Gray
04-08-2019, 08:50 PM
He is up there with McGregor as the best goalkeeper in Scotland. I still think McGregor is the best but Marciano isn't far behind him.

Brilliant goalkeeper.

PatHead
04-08-2019, 09:30 PM
He is up there with McGregor as the best goalkeeper in Scotland. I still think McGregor is the best but Marciano isn't far behind him.

Brilliant goalkeeper.

Can't see how a goalkeeper who keeps on doing things that should have him sent off regularly is the best in the league.

Aim Here
04-08-2019, 09:33 PM
Can't see how a goalkeeper who keeps on doing things that should have him sent off regularly is the best in the league.

Alfredo Morelos was surely the best striker in the league last season, and he did things that *did* get him sent off regularly.

Dr What If?
04-08-2019, 10:18 PM
I remember when we signed Jim Leighton, was always a Hibs fan as a kid but I wanted to be a goalie because I wanted to be Jim Leighton. At Aberdeen and for Scotland....just amazing! Then came Man Utd, confidence shot and not even a shadow of his former self...a clown keeper making silly mistakes and had you wondering why he got near a Scotland squad let alone first pick. At Dundee he didn't even get a game and then he signed for Hibs.....my childhood fallen hero, I dreaded it! The rest is history though, magically he became the Leighton of old and was my hero again, more so because now he was playing for Hibs. I was truly gutted when he went back to Aberdeen, it was like being dumped by your one true love for some ex boyfriend.....not over that yet :greengrin

Sir David Gray
04-08-2019, 10:21 PM

Having disciplinary problems shouldn't preclude someone from being the best in their field.

As much as I detest him, I would say Allan McGregor is the best goalkeeper in the country.

Sammy7nil
04-08-2019, 10:25 PM
Probably between Marciano and Joe Lewis for best in the league.

I think McGregor may have a claim, he can be the best because he keeps the ball out the net better than most.
You don't have to like him but surely you can see he is a talent

Allant1981
05-08-2019, 05:34 AM
I think McGregor may have a claim, he can be the best because he keeps the ball out the net better than most.

Pretty sure he was 3rd equal last season in clean sheets, so he isnt the best at keeping the ball out the net, he is still a good keeper but there are at least 3 keepers up here just as good if not better now

Sammy7nil
05-08-2019, 06:31 PM
Pretty sure he was 3rd equal last season in clean sheets, so he isnt the best at keeping the ball out the net, he is still a good keeper but there are at least 3 keepers up here just as good if not better now

Or perhaps the defenders or other outfield players performed better than the Rangers players :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :wink:

Inconsequential
05-08-2019, 06:38 PM
Probably between Marciano and Joe Lewis for best in the league. Two American boxers playing in goals for Scottish Premiership sides who would have thought it? Must be difficult to catch a ball with the gloves. :wink:

Allant1981
05-08-2019, 07:00 PM
Or perhaps the defenders or other outfield players performed better than the Rangers players :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :wink:

Or he just isnt the best keeper in the league

Sammy7nil
05-08-2019, 08:06 PM
Or he just isnt the best keeper in the league

Yup we could both right we will never know all about opinions.

Allant1981
05-08-2019, 08:15 PM
Yup we could both right we will never know all about opinions.

Nah, I'm right!!!

PatHead
05-08-2019, 08:20 PM

He is talented but is no use to the team if he gets sent off and suspended for being a radge.

Sammy7nil
05-08-2019, 08:24 PM
Nah, I'm right!!!

Sorry boy information incorrect :greengrin i just spoke to Rocky and Joe Lewis they both said they could not hold McGregors gloves :wink: