PDA

View Full Version : My sons first ever game

Islington Hibs
03-08-2019, 08:13 PM
Took my nine year old son to Easter Road today for his first ever game. He likes playing sport, but has only shown marginal interest in watching it on TV, and he really enjoyed it! Before the game he would have just about said he supported Hibs. Now he wants a Hibs strip and possibly celebrated the goal more than me! It may not have been the best game, but it was good enough with an interesting enough atmosphere for him. I also have to say the people round us in the West Stand were really polite (mainly!!) and pretty encouraging which is quite important witha young child. Overall a good day out and when I asked him if he would like to go again he said 'absolutely.'

As an aside I remember well my first ever game. I was about ten or eleven - a nil nil draw with Aberdeen probably in 1976 when Ally MacLeod missed a sitter. Top of old East terrace then, far cry from West Stand!

iwasthere1972
03-08-2019, 08:30 PM
Took my nine year old son to Easter Road today for his first ever game. He likes playing sport, but has only shown marginal interest in watching it on TV, and he really enjoyed it! Before the game he would have just about said he supported Hibs. Now he wants a Hibs strip and possibly celebrated the goal more than me! It may not have been the best game, but it was good enough with an interesting enough atmosphere for him. I also have to say the people round us in the West Stand were really polite (mainly!!) and pretty encouraging which is quite important witha young child. Overall a good day out and when I asked him if he would like to go again he said 'absolutely.'

As an aside I remember well my first ever game. I was about ten or eleven - a nil nil draw with Aberdeen probably in 1976 when Ally MacLeod missed a sitter. Top of old East terrace then, far cry from West Stand!

For two or three seasons I had a young boy sitting next to me in the FF Lower. He must have been about seven or eight when I first sat next to him. His family were there but I believe that it was his grandma who looked after him while he was there. Anyway every game he would bring his tablet and play games. Even when Hibs had a penalty or scored he didn't even lift his head. Had his pizza and chips at half time. Just seemed a waste of a seat and the boy could have been doing something that he enjoyed doing. Just wondered if maybe the combined cost of his season ticket and food was cheaper than a babysitter for a few hours.

My first game by the way was 1966 or 1967. I think we played Stirling Albion at home and won 5-0. I was hooked and besides we didn't have any technology to take with us so no distractions.

Glad your son saw the Hibees winning today although we left it a bit late. Long may it continue.

Islington Hibs
03-08-2019, 08:47 PM
For two or three seasons I had a young boy sitting next to me in the FF Lower. He must have been about seven or eight when I first sat next to him. His family were there but I believe that it was his grandma who looked after him while he was there. Anyway every game he would bring his tablet and play games. Even when Hibs had a penalty or scored he didn't even lift his head. Had his pizza and chips at half time. Just seemed a waste of a seat and the boy could have been doing something that he enjoyed doing. Just wondered if maybe the combined cost of his season ticket and food was cheaper than a babysitter for a few hours.

My first game by the way was 1966 or 1967. I think we played Stirling Albion at home and won 5-0. I was hooked and besides we didn't have any technology to take with us so no distractions.

Glad your son saw the Hibees winning today although we left it a bit late. Long may it continue.

Thanks for your reflections.

Myson really enjoyed it I think and watched pretty much the whole game and,particularly in the second half when there were some genuine chances, was veryengaged. I am sure it will not be difficult to persuade him to come back. A win definately helps.

Real Emerald
03-08-2019, 08:59 PM
Thanks for your reflections.

Myson really enjoyed it I think and watched pretty much the whole game and,particularly in the second half when there were some genuine chances, was veryengaged. I am sure it will not be difficult to persuade him to come back. A win definately helps.

Brilliant he enjoyed it and he’ll always remember it. The difficulty is when he’s chittering his teeth out in January. My son went through all that and now he is the one who keeps me going, he’s 28 now. Happy days, enjoy the journey. 😂

Gmack7
04-08-2019, 06:37 AM
i took my son to his first game when he was 4 in 2006/7(i think) and we lost 2 . 0 at home to Inverness, he said he enjoyed it but it was to noisy😆 not long after he was at Hampden and going nuts the whole game as he got to see the cup win,
at that point the thought it happened every season

Crunchie
04-08-2019, 06:41 AM

:aok: Great to hear, despite it not being a great game there was a good atmosphere and glorious sunshine which probably helped.

theonlywayisup
04-08-2019, 06:43 AM

Nine years old before his first game - shocking!!

My wee boy was probably nine weeks old and that was only because of the summer break.

He's been a regular ever since.

h18eeynick
04-08-2019, 07:25 AM

Took my son to his first game aged 4 some 28 years ago which was also against St Mirren. We won 4-1 with doubles from Weir and McGinley. He cried every time the fans roared ! Lives in Sydney now but watches on Hibs TV and came home for the 2016 final ! Proud Dad that his son stuck with my team !