PDA

View Full Version : BBC and Hibs.

Jim44
03-08-2019, 06:10 PM
Ok, a bit early in the season to start greetin’ about the real experts on Scottish football but some of their crap pundits have set their stall already. One of their female pundits, might have been Julie Fleeting, when talking about Livingston or maybe it was Motherwell, said that they’ll do well but will struggle when they come up against the better teams in the league, Celtic, Sevco, Aberdeen and Hearts. We’re classed as also-rans after one game into the season. Paranoid, maybe, but it pisses you off no end to be the dismissed by these non-entities.

Iggy Pope
03-08-2019, 06:12 PM
Ok, a bit early in the season to start greetin’ about the real experts on Scottish football but some of their crap pundits have set their stall already. One of their female pundits, might have been Julie Fleeting, when talking about Livingston or maybe it was Motherwell, said that they’ll do well but will struggle when they come up against the better teams in the league, Celtic, Sevco, Aberdeen and Hearts. We’re classed as also-rans after one game into the season. Paranoid, maybe, but it pisses you off no end to be the dismissed by these non-entities.

Jim. Let’s not have wummin footballers spraffing about the men’s game that would be better.

Torto7
03-08-2019, 07:53 PM
I tried listening to the first part of sportsound and had to turn it off. Celtic and Rangers the sole topic as usual. It's the same bloody narrative year after year. I'm just sticking to Hibs TV, podcasts, social media and here for my information.

weecounty hibby
03-08-2019, 07:57 PM
The report post game was a joke. The reporter mentioned all of St Mirrens chances and said that heir left winger could have scored 3 before halftime. No mention of the shot off the bar or the disallowed goal. Mentioned the Doige miss and won't on to say that St Mirren should have equalised at the end. So one sided it wasn't true. On another day we could have scored 5

Carheenlea
03-08-2019, 08:04 PM
Find myself using the BBC less and less for football coverage. Get everything I want from Hibs with match reports and highlights. Always fun to read of a duff result for Hearts, but other than that I can live without their football coverage. Don’t even bother with Sportscene these days.

Joe6-2
03-08-2019, 08:09 PM
Find myself using the BBC less and less for football coverage. Get everything I want from Hibs with match reports and highlights. Always fun to read of a duff result for Hearts, but other than that I can live without their football coverage. Don’t even bother with Sportscene these days.

I’m the same

Real Emerald
03-08-2019, 08:13 PM
The report post game was a joke. The reporter mentioned all of St Mirrens chances and said that heir left winger could have scored 3 before halftime. No mention of the shot off the bar or the disallowed goal. Mentioned the Doige miss and won't on to say that St Mirren should have equalised at the end. So one sided it wasn't true. On another day we could have scored 5

Said the same, it sounded like we were pummelled by St Mirren’s constant attacks and chances. Yes they had a few but the report was ridiculous. The report on Celtic was OTT as well. Drooling they were. 😊

Joe6-2
03-08-2019, 08:16 PM
Said the same, it sounded like we were pummelled by St Mirren’s constant attacks and chances. Yes they had a few but the report was ridiculous. The report on Celtic was OTT as well. Drooling they were. 😊

*ankers!

Johnny_Leith
03-08-2019, 08:20 PM

That is their opinion Jim, on today's evidence they might well be right. Also, I think branding people non-entities because they've a difference of opinion to you is ridiculous. PS didn't hear it live, and remember essentially these people are paid to cause controversy.

Jim44
03-08-2019, 08:44 PM
That is their opinion Jim, on today's evidence they might well be right. Also, I think branding people non-entities because they've a difference of opinion to you is ridiculous. PS didn't hear it live, and remember essentially these people are paid to cause controversy.

Opinion based on what? Surely not only on today’s performance or on the sparkling recent performances of the Jambos. What evidence is there to put the Jambos, who have finished 6th for the last two seasons and are showing signs of being fairly mediocre again this season, in the four best teams in the league.

Weegreenman
03-08-2019, 08:48 PM
I tried listening to the first part of sportsound and had to turn it off. Celtic and Rangers the sole topic as usual. It's the same bloody narrative year after year. I'm just sticking to Hibs TV, podcasts, social media and here for my information.

They’ll talk about us plenty if we beat them at Ipox next week. That’s the best way to ram it right up them.

Michael
03-08-2019, 08:57 PM
Celtic, Sevco, Aberdeen and Hearts are the better teams. Hibs are the best team.

CMurdoch
03-08-2019, 09:07 PM

She said what came into her head at that moment in time and missed us off her wee list. It happens when you under the spotlight.
I would call her on it if it was a prepared statement but not on an off the cuff spraff.

NOLA
03-08-2019, 09:11 PM

She’s done more in fitbaw than you I’m guessing! Don’t let her opinions ruin your Saturday night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny_Leith
03-08-2019, 09:11 PM
Opinion based on what? Surely not only on today’s performance or on the sparkling recent performances of the Jambos. What evidence is there to put the Jambos, who have finished 6th for the last two seasons and are showing signs of being fairly mediocre again this season, in the four best teams in the league.

Let me get this 100% straight - a female pundit ( you're unsure who) suggests thats livi or motherwell (you're unsure who) will struggle against Celtic, Rangers, Hearts & Aberdeen will who, in their opinion, will be in the top 4?

I don't think there will be much between Hibs & hearts this season (as there wasn't last year). Personally, I think unfortunately Hearts have signed well and it'll be between us and them for 4th spot - if we get our act together! As we did not look like a top 4 team today - considering we were playing a team who will likely be in the bottom 3 this season. Will be interesting to see how hearts do, as I think they've a good squad but will be held back by Levein.

We need to up our game if we are going to finish in a European spot based on our early season form. I hope I'm wrong but we look like we hold a few of the habits of recent years - conceding easy goals and not being clinical despite having most of the ball.

RyeSloan
03-08-2019, 09:23 PM

Heard it in the car...was pretty pathetic.

All jumbled up, gave no sense of the game, forgot to mention the two that hit the inside of the post, no mention of Flo’s ‘goal’, totally over egged St Mirren’s fleeting chances and took up less time than the pathetically drooling interview of Christie that came before it.

Crunchie
03-08-2019, 09:25 PM
She’s done more in fitbaw than you I’m guessing! Don’t let her opinions ruin your Saturday night

She'll know no more about men's football than your average fan in the stands. Mind you some of her comments are no more stupid than Thomson's.

Clarence
03-08-2019, 09:26 PM
The BBC has moved from broadsheet quality to tabloid over the last 20 years.

AugustaHibs
03-08-2019, 09:26 PM
Is there no the women’s spl she can comment on?

tamig
03-08-2019, 09:28 PM
Jim. Let’s not have wummin footballers spraffing about the men’s game that would be better.

Why not? Why can anyone not provide an opinion? Plenty females attend games so why can’t they chip in?

Unless that was an attempted whoosh naturally.

marinello59
03-08-2019, 09:30 PM

I wouldn’t cal Julie Fleeting a non-entity. Far from it.

Jim44
03-08-2019, 09:36 PM
My bad. Sorry but the party-line punditry of BBC Scotland cheeses me off no style.

Smartie
03-08-2019, 09:39 PM
I dipped in and out of it, but as per usual Michael Stewart was talking a decent amount of sense about us at about half past 2 - talking about the teams who should be fighting it out just below Celtic and talking up our new signings and manager.

If there is such a thing as a BBC party line then they really need to rein Mikey in.

03-08-2019, 09:40 PM
Is there no the women’s spl she can comment on?

Why? She's just as entitled to her opinion as any man is. Pundits are just people who watch the game and give their view, what difference does it make if its male or female? Plenty men who gave their analysis and opinion on the womans WC in the Summer.

03-08-2019, 09:42 PM
I dipped in and out of it, but as per usual Michael Stewart was talking a decent amount of sense about us at about half past 2 - talking about the teams who should be fighting it out just below Celtic and talking up our new signings and manager.

If there is such a thing as a BBC party line then they really need to rein Mikey in.

Never liked Stewart as a player as I always thought he was mouthy and arrogant, however as a pundit he is one of the few good ones. Always honest and comes across quite intelligent instead of coming out with the same old boring, cliché drivel that many of them do.

Jonnyboy
03-08-2019, 09:50 PM
What worried me more when listening to Sportsound on the way home was that I found myself agreeing with Allan Preston! He called out the disgrace of a pitch at the Tony Macaroni fundome and plastic pitches in general. His view is that it makes football more like a non contact sport and lowers the standard of our game at the top level. Who'd have thought he'd get something right for once :greengrin

Shrekko
03-08-2019, 09:52 PM
I wouldn’t cal Julie Fleeting a non-entity. Far from it.

She’s unbelievably boring though.

Lago
03-08-2019, 09:59 PM
No more than some of the blokes.

tamig
03-08-2019, 10:07 PM
What worried me more when listening to Sportsound on the way home was that I found myself agreeing with Allan Preston! He called out the disgrace of a pitch at the Tony Macaroni fundome and plastic pitches in general. His view is that it makes football more like a non contact sport and lowers the standard of our game at the top level. Who'd have thought he'd get something right for once :greengrin
Is that not a case of stating the obvious? I’ve yet to meet any supporter who prefers plastic to grass.

Jonnyboy
03-08-2019, 10:18 PM
Is that not a case of stating the obvious? I’ve yet to meet any supporter who prefers plastic to grass.

Indeed and it might be the first time Preston has done so :greengrin

tamig
03-08-2019, 10:22 PM
Indeed and it might be the first time Preston has done so :greengrin

He gives no real insight whatsoever. Any time I reckon he’s made a decent point its a case of “ no **** Sherlock?”!😀

NOLA
03-08-2019, 10:28 PM

Would you risk it for a biscuit [emoji514]

hibIBZ
03-08-2019, 11:03 PM
Sportsound/offtheball/openallmics/all MSM = rangers/Celtic/rangers/Celtic/rangers/Celtic/everybody else /,Celtic/rangers

Total waste of time

vuefrom1875
04-08-2019, 12:01 AM

Weggie parochial sh$te best to ignore these west coast ignoramus.

vuefrom1875
04-08-2019, 12:02 AM
the report post game was a joke. The reporter mentioned all of st mirrens chances and said that heir left winger could have scored 3 before halftime. No mention of the shot off the bar or the disallowed goal. Mentioned the doige miss and won't on to say that st mirren should have equalised at the end. So one sided it wasn't true. On another day we could have scored 5

weggies.

vuefrom1875
04-08-2019, 12:18 AM
They are nonentities (No hyphen my friend ,one word)And very ignorant /biased on all things outside weggieland .Branded definitely 😎

McD
04-08-2019, 08:43 AM
Let me get this 100% straight - a female pundit ( you're unsure who) suggests thats livi or motherwell (you're unsure who) will struggle against Celtic, Rangers, Hearts & Aberdeen will who, in their opinion, will be in the top 4?

I don't think there will be much between Hibs & hearts this season (as there wasn't last year). Personally, I think unfortunately Hearts have signed well and it'll be between us and them for 4th spot - if we get our act together! As we did not look like a top 4 team today - considering we were playing a team who will likely be in the bottom 3 this season. Will be interesting to see how hearts do, as I think they've a good squad but will be held back by Levein.

We need to up our game if we are going to finish in a European spot based on our early season form. I hope I'm wrong but we look like we hold a few of the habits of recent years - conceding easy goals and not being clinical despite having most of the ball.

How many competitive goals have we conceded this season?

WhileTheChief..
04-08-2019, 08:51 AM

In fairness, you kinda go looking for these ‘problems’.

There’s barely a week goes by when you don’t think some part of the media has it in for us!

Jim44
04-08-2019, 09:06 AM
In fairness, you kinda go looking for these ‘problems’.

There’s barely a week goes by when you don’t think some part of the media has it in for us!

Not so much ‘have it in for us’ but more hold us in ill-deserved low esteem and, by the same token, hold the Jambos in ill-deserved high esteem. It seems more a passive dismissal than active put down.

Paloschi
04-08-2019, 09:45 AM
No mention of our goal being incorrectly chopped off on the live match report.

I think it was last season or the season before when we beat Motherwell 1-0 at fir park and the female pundit said 'it's a shame Martin Boyle's goal seperates the sides.' Because it was a good game or something. I was gobsmacked.

I am not a conspiracy theorist but they don't really like us much.

mjhibby
04-08-2019, 09:58 AM

I'm in the same boat. We've finished 4th and fifth in the past two season and above hertz yet they still don't mention us for the top four even after Hertz horrendous league cup campaign and Killied Europa disaster. It's all the usual clichéd nonsense. Rangers will win a trophy,Aberdeen look strong and Hertz will be there or thereabouts. It's utterly tedious stuff with no reasoning behind what they are saying. It really is depressing to listen to what must be the easiest job in the world,talking about football.its getting as bad as only an excuse for being so predictably dull and when we do finish above hertz again the will be very grudging in their praise. Just a total waste of a programme.

SouthMoroccoStu
04-08-2019, 10:03 AM
The BBC Scotland radio coverage when Ron purchased us was shocking

A total of 5 minutes and then moved on

If that was either of the old firm they’d have cancelled all previously scheduled programs for the rest of the day

hibbyfraelibby
04-08-2019, 10:08 AM
Nothing new about the BBC's weegiecentricism...its not anti Hibs, they just live in a wee bubble and never get out much.

I remember listening to a commentary of a Celtic v Hibs game on the wireless many many moons ago when David Francie was doing the commentary in the days before the had a pundit.

He chuntered on and on and on about Celtic this, Celtic that, Celtic something else all nothing to do with the game for about 5 minutes then there was a little roar in the background and he said "and that was a goal for Hibs...as I was saying Celtic blah, blah, blah

mjhibby
04-08-2019, 10:15 AM

Exactly.i still don't get that hertz have a good squad. Naismith was there last season so he's not a new signing,walker hadn't kicked a ball for two years,they still have their duff keepers. Also haring will miss a good chunk of the season. We will also take time to blend with the new signings and we have our two first choice full backs to come back. We will improve as the season goes on and we got the three points which we tend to do since Hecky arrived. You can never truly be confident how any team will do this season. First game over,three points and onto Ibrox. Morton at home in the next round of the league cup and one goal conceded in our first five games. Still they are meh towards us. Not really bothered what the press say. Plenty alternate ways to get better coverage of us anyway.

Eyrie
04-08-2019, 10:20 AM
The problem is that what the media chooses to report affects the club's reputation by influencing how others see us.

Not In The Know
04-08-2019, 10:53 AM
Don’t forget the constant free advert Preston spouts about Hearts being amazing every week.

RyeSloan
04-08-2019, 12:52 PM

Yet he was effectively mocked for making the comment. Instead of taking it seriously and asking a few pointed questions about why it continues he was told to get a glass of wine and calm down!

Crazyhorse
04-08-2019, 05:18 PM
Never liked Stewart as a player as I always thought he was mouthy and arrogant, however as a pundit he is one of the few good ones. Always honest and comes across quite intelligent instead of coming out with the same old boring, cliché drivel that many of them do.

I think him and his sidekick have predicted us finishing 4th this season, with the yams 5th.

Aldo
04-08-2019, 05:29 PM

I thought Stewart was excellent for us When he was here. Collins didn’t like him and he was made scapegoat!

As a pundit. Can’t fault him and says it how it is!

Sioux
04-08-2019, 05:44 PM

There's plenty posters on here who think along similar lines. They don't think we'll be one of the better teams either.

Jonnyboy
04-08-2019, 05:49 PM
Yet he was effectively mocked for making the comment. Instead of taking it seriously and asking a few pointed questions about why it continues he was told to get a glass of wine and calm down!

Yep, serious point totally trivialised

Lago
04-08-2019, 08:31 PM
Both the BBC & the print media cater for the their largest audience, which quite simply is Cetic/Rangers. It ever was & wil always be.

Eyrie
04-08-2019, 09:46 PM
I think him and his sidekick have predicted us finishing 4th this season, with the yams 5th.

Just watched that. Thomson predicts fifth for them with Stewart laughing at him and then Stewart predicts they'll be sixth.

05-08-2019, 01:35 AM
I thought Stewart was excellent for us When he was here. Collins didn’t like him and he was made scapegoat!

As a pundit. Can’t fault him and says it how it is!

Not a bad player but a horrible attitude IMO. Quite huffy and got pretty hot headed.