PDA

View Full Version : Today’s game!

onthefence
03-08-2019, 06:09 PM
I took in today’s game at Easter Road. The stadium is just excellent although every time I’m in that East Stand I forgot that’s where the sun hits and end up cooked by half time!

As a “neutral” I enjoyed it. I thought it was a pretty even game but by the end of it Hibs deserved to win by a goal.

From an analysis point of view it’s concerning me the way Hibs are playing. on paper it looks very attack minded. Yet when on the pitch they look like they are told to be quite defensive minded. I counted 7 Hibs players still in there own half on 4 different occasions throughout the game when hibs where on the counter attack. The Hibs I have got used to seeing/hearing about is just bombing forward trying to score goals and excite the fans - one full back crossing and the other at the backpost ready to score a goal. This team seem reluctant to do so which definitely comes from the managers instructions. The times the players played through the 3rds at speed they cut through ST Mirren at ease and where impressive but all to often it was the English premiership game of chess style slow boring build up - side ways, backwards, sideways. I was also at the Alloa match and it was the exact same but I presumed it was just a “pre season” feel to it.

Tom James before being subbed was struggling. Miss timing headers, every time he went 1v1 with the winger the cross came in & when it came down to a race he was last. There is no doubt David Gray will be a much added boost on his return. Whittaker I thought had a good game but again the missing of Lewis Stevenson bombing down that left flank was evident. I’ve seen Hibs fans moan about both DG & LS crossing but it’s clear they bring so much more to the hibs sides of recent years with their energy.

Josh Vela, Scott Allan & Stevie Mallan will be an exciting triangle for Hibs if Heckingbottom allows them to go play. The way to do it is to allow both full backs to become high and wide which will stretch the opposition and allow more space in the central areas. The strikers I actually think worked better as a 2 than when kamberi was up on his own. Would a 3-5-2 with Hibs current squad be a good shout? I know it’s a system that Allan Stubbs enjoyed so a few of the players would be familiar.

Sorry if that all sounds negative it’s not meant to! My honest opinion on Hibs if they where to continue through the season in this style is they will be a solid team in this league and finish in top 4. It’s just not the exciting style I love when I have visited Easter Road in the last few years.

In all a great day out finally back watching Scottish football in proper competition. Hope to be back to Easter Road soon!