PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Newell ??

KSA Hibee
03-08-2019, 04:50 PM
Seen the lad a few times now and still feel he has nothing to offer going forward .. hope he proves me wrong and pushes on but unimpressed so far, especially today.

lord bunberry
03-08-2019, 04:52 PM
He wasn’t as bad as some folk around me where making out. He had a few decent passes and runs, but he doesn’t look like a winger.

MWHIBBIES
03-08-2019, 04:53 PM
Incredible cross early 2nd half and hit post. Decent game today, far from our worst.

The Tubs
03-08-2019, 04:53 PM
I think he looks all right, just a bit slow for a wide player. He can cross, shoot, gets into good positions in the box and can finish. Decent in the air and hard to get the ball off.

A bit unorthodox. A rich man's Paul Tosh.

mentalhibee
03-08-2019, 04:54 PM
Looks good, some great crosses.

neil7908
03-08-2019, 04:57 PM
Incredible cross early 2nd half and hit post. Decent game today, far from our worst.

Yup, was no worse than Horgan. Wasn't brilliant but hoping he'll start having more impact on games with 2 up front.

random sub
03-08-2019, 04:58 PM
‘Languid’ style

Allant1981
03-08-2019, 04:59 PM
Can certainly put in a decent cross, not the quickest though which may be his sticking point, likes to come in field a lot as well

Real Emerald
03-08-2019, 05:00 PM
He can definitely play football but I don't like his casual style. He seems reluctant to get involved and has zero urgency about him. Maybe there will be games when his demeanour will help but I couldn't believe he stayed out there for 90 minutes today. They'll all benefit from their first taste of a fairly full Easter Road though. The jury is out on this one for me.

Lee Marvin
Was better than horgan today.

davhibby
I thought he played quite well today

Northernhibee
03-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Good player.

GoalsMcGinley
03-08-2019, 05:02 PM
Absolutely woeful. Empty jersey. Forgot he was playing at one point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chefki Kuqi
03-08-2019, 05:03 PM
Reasonable league debut, good to have an extra aerial presence in the box. Think we could maybe do better but would say that if we need to rely on him this season he’ll be a good option.

KSA Hibee
03-08-2019, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=GoalsMcGinley;5869650]Absolutely woeful. Empty jersey. Forgot he was playing at one point!

So not just me then lol .. good to see different opinions and let’s hope he turns it around. 👍

jane_says
Decent player when we actually got him involved. Far from our worst today

speedy_gonzales
I thought he looked comfortable on the ball but was anonymous/hid when he wasn't!

random sub
03-08-2019, 05:08 PM
Unseen work

Pretty Boy
03-08-2019, 05:15 PM
So so.

Put in a couple of great balls, won 2 or 3 corners when he forced defenders to make last ditch tackles out wide. Movement and defensive side of his game seems to need work. Allan went nuts at him at one point in the 2nd half when we were 2 on 1 and Newell just picked a spot on the touchline and stood waiting rather than making any kind of move.

Similar to Doidge I saw nothing today to suggest he should be written off but I'm not buzzing with excitement about seeing him again either.

Diclonius
03-08-2019, 05:15 PM
Decent.

LaMotta
03-08-2019, 05:18 PM
Has a decent left foot but looks like he can't run.

I think he will pop up with moments of magic throughout the season, but his languid style will be hard for some to take to.

bingo70
03-08-2019, 05:19 PM
He’s alright.

Better than I saw against Dunfermline and Stirling Albion but not sure I’ll ever think he’s brilliant.

PPZPOL
03-08-2019, 05:21 PM
He did carry the ball 30-40 yards up park in first half a couple of times, which is what PH said he wanted him to do. 1 up front doesn’t help a “winger” tho. I like him and think he’ll be a good player for us, he’s going to find it tough to get a lot of fans onside with his general style, folk won’t like him as he seems like he’ll drift in and out of games.

hibeerealist
03-08-2019, 05:22 PM
He can definitely play football but I don't like his casual style. He seems reluctant to get involved and has zero urgency about him. Maybe there will be games when his demeanour will help but I couldn't believe he stayed out there for 90 minutes today. They'll all benefit from their first taste of a fairly full Easter Road though. The jury is out on this one for me.

Agree with this pretty much.

Heckys signing so Hecky will play him but how did he stay on 90 mins????

Needs to really up his workrate for me.........

hibby6270
03-08-2019, 05:23 PM
Thoughts? He cannae just stand on the touch line all game. He was a bit more positive first half but didn’t contribute a lot second half. We can’t afford ‘luxuries’ in the team, if indeed he can be classed as a luxury.

judas
03-08-2019, 05:25 PM
Good touch
Good Crosser
Not Easy To Push Off Ball
Distribution OK

Not sure what the problem is tbh

Greenbeard
03-08-2019, 05:29 PM
Thoughts? He cannae just stand on the touch line all game. He was a bit more positive first half but didn’t contribute a lot second half. We can’t afford ‘luxuries’ in the team, if indeed he can be classed as a luxury.
If he's a drifter maybe Heck told him "stand by me".

LaMotta
03-08-2019, 05:29 PM
Good touch
Good Crosser
Distribution OK

Lack of energy and pace could prove to be big problems.

Sir David Gray
03-08-2019, 05:30 PM
I've not been impressed so far I must be honest.

HH81
03-08-2019, 05:31 PM
Did he not hit the post with the header? If so that was a sitter, had to score.

IvanSproule
03-08-2019, 05:34 PM
Did he not hit the post with the header? If so that was a sitter, had to score.

Wasn't a sitter mate, did really well to even win the header above the defender and unlucky to hit the inside of the post, couple of great crosses too.

GoalsMcGinley
03-08-2019, 05:39 PM
Wasn't a sitter mate, did really well to even win the header above the defender and unlucky to hit the inside of the post, couple of great crosses too.

Once he makes contact it’s a sitter. He’s 4 yards from goal and should score.

R'Albin
03-08-2019, 05:41 PM
He just doesn't look like a winger. Looks decent enough technically but doesn't have enough pace or ability to beat a man.

LaMotta
03-08-2019, 05:42 PM

Agree not a sitter.

SChibs
03-08-2019, 05:42 PM
Once he makes contact it’s a sitter. He’s 4 yards from goal and should score.

Not really, the ball came in high so it's not as if he could get over it to head it down, he had to try and wrong foot the keeper by heading it back across. It was unlucky

04Sauzee
03-08-2019, 05:43 PM
He just doesn't look like a winger. Looks decent enough technically but doesn't have enough pace or ability to beat a man.

He isn't a winger, he's said it numerous times.
For what it's worth I thought he had a very good game today

green day
03-08-2019, 05:46 PM

Me too, he did what was asked of him and when we actually got the ball to him St M couldn't get the ball off him.

I suppose as Whittaker had a Stormer we need a new boo boy.

People say he isn't fast like Boyle. That's actually true, but I suspect we will get more end product out of Newell.

LaMotta

Dont think he did anything to justify that review.:confused:

mcfly

Not from where I was sitting but it’s all about opinions

He’s too slow for a winger for me

Hibs90
03-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Meh.

Anonymous half the time, but did put a couple of good balls in. If Horgan Boyle and him are fit he'd be on the bench for me.

loanheadhibby
03-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Absolutely woeful. Empty jersey. Forgot he was playing at one point!

Agreed. Thought he was poor and offered next to nothing in 2nd half but still early days. Hopefully can come on to a game in next few weeks.

DickieDastardly
03-08-2019, 05:52 PM
Interesting how different peoples views are. First match this season and thought he was a wasted jersey tbh; I fear he could become the focal point for unrest amongst the support if things are not going the teams way and he doesn’t look to get more involved.
In comparison to a couple of other comments I thought Horgan played well today and went looking for the ball, personally I ’d have left him on and replaced Newell. Just my opinion of course....

Bishop Hibee
03-08-2019, 05:52 PM
Ordinary.

Golden Bear
03-08-2019, 05:55 PM
Reasonable performance but my first impression is that the lad lacks heart. He won't win many 50/50 balls that's for sure.

LaMotta
03-08-2019, 05:55 PM
Me too, he did what was asked of him and when we actually got the ball to him St M couldn't get the ball off him.

I suppose as Whittaker had a Stormer we need a new boo boy.

People say he isn't fast like Boyle. That's actually true, but I suspect we will get more end product out of Newell.

Haven't seen anyone compare his pace to Boyle. I don't think hes as fast as ANYONE at Easter Road though.

He is as slow a player as Ive seen in a long time but then he obviously has other attributes. Hopefully they will be enough to outweigh the lethargy.

And given Boyle has had fantastic end product for us over the years, if Newell has more than that then he'll end up being some player.

LaMotta
03-08-2019, 05:56 PM
Interesting how different peoples views are. First match this season and thought he was a wasted jersey tbh; I fear he could become the focal point for unrest amongst the support if things are not going the teams way and he doesn’t look to get more involved.
In comparison to a couple of other comments I thought Horgan played well today and went looking for the ball, personally I ’d have left him on and replaced Newell. Just my opinion of course....

Agreed.

dmc1875
He disappears for half a game. He’s in the side because he’s good at delivering a ball clearly but he offers nothing else as a winger at all

04Sauzee
[/B]

Dont think he did anything to justify that review.:confused:

And funnily enough I do

LaMotta
03-08-2019, 06:01 PM
And funnily enough I do

Be interested to see a list of things he did that meant he had a very good game.

Scott Allan had a very good game because he set up several chances and scored a goal.

04Sauzee
03-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Be interested to see a list of things he did that meant he had a very good game.

Scott Allan had a very good game because he set up several chances and scored a goal.
I'll mind and take a notepad and pen next time.

Thought Whittaker also had a very good game but unfortunately I won't be able to list all the good things he done today.

Hibs90
03-08-2019, 06:03 PM

Agree. I was surprised he stayed on the pitch but Horgan rarely lasts the full ninety.

LaMotta
03-08-2019, 06:13 PM
I'll mind and take a notepad and pen next time.

Thought Whittaker also had a very good game but unfortunately I won't be able to list all the good things he done today.

You dont need a notepad pal, but it helps to back up your comments with some obvious examples. Given that you cant recall anything of note from Newell from your memory, I think its safe to say your assesment was a bit OTT.

I didn't take a notepad either but yes Whittaker was very good - several great challenges and interceptions, some raking cross field world cup willy balls straight to colleagues feet, and drove the team forward all afternoon:aok:

Booked4Being-Ugly
03-08-2019, 06:13 PM
Thought Newell was one of the better players today.

If Doidge had slipped him after getting in a great position this thread wouldn’t even exist.

green day
03-08-2019, 06:20 PM
Haven't seen anyone compare his pace to Boyle. I don't think hes as fast as ANYONE at Easter Road though.

He is as slow a player as Ive seen in a long time but then he obviously has other attributes. Hopefully they will be enough to outweigh the lethargy.

And given Boyle has had fantastic end product for us over the years, if Newell has more than that then he'll end up being some player.

Some players dont use speed to get past players - IMO Newell is a more skilful player than Boyle.

As for the comparison bit, people assume Newell is a winger, and expect him to be speedy - pretty obvious comparison I would have thought?

I really like Boyle, but you might want to check out stats on Boyles "fantastic end product over the years" - as an example, his last full season he played 34 times, scored 5 goals and had 3 assists.

That was his best "end product" by far.

In the 3 Championship seasons, he had 1 assist in each season.

superfurryhibby
03-08-2019, 06:22 PM
Decent enough first half, took his man on the outside and won a few corners. Faded badly in the second half, header aside. Didn't appear to get much support from Mackie, whereas Whittaker linked with him well a few times in the first.

Michael
03-08-2019, 06:24 PM
Don't think I've seen a player turned on as quickly as Newell. I haven't seen him play as I no longer live in Scotland (so not sure if it's justified), but I'm sure even Alan O'Brien got more time than Newell.

hibeerealist
03-08-2019, 06:25 PM

Sorry I must be watching a different game! If you had said he did OK and got a pass mark from you I would hold my hands up and say “opinions eh”. But “a very good game” "...............

I wonder if we got the opportunity to ask him to his face would he say he had a very good game?

Naw, I think he might just get a red face.

Hopefully he improves and Hecky will continue to play him as he signed him but he could end up a passenger, cannot dare think what he will put in at the hunnery, he will get a reality check there and Hecky might even sub him.

Really needs to up his workrate and contribution for me, sorry.

Bearders
03-08-2019, 06:39 PM
Not really, the ball came in high so it's not as if he could get over it to head it down, he had to try and wrong foot the keeper by heading it back across. It was unlucky

Exactly - Gordon or Gilzean may have scored but I agree he did well and was unlucky.

eastmainsmsh
03-08-2019, 06:41 PM
not impressed so far will give him chance tho

LaMotta
03-08-2019, 06:41 PM
Some players dont use speed to get past players - IMO Newell is a more skilful player than Boyle.

As for the comparison bit, people assume Newell is a winger, and expect him to be speedy - pretty obvious comparison I would have thought?

I really like Boyle, but you might want to check out stats on Boyles "fantastic end product over the years" - as an example, his last full season he played 34 times, scored 5 goals and had 3 assists.

That was his best "end product" by far.

In the 3 Championship seasons, he had 1 assist in each season.

People certainly shouldnt be comparing him with Boyle!

On Boyle though he has 28 goals and 29 assists in his Hibs career of around 160 games ( some of those off the bench though so not full games).

https://www.transfermarkt.com/martin-boyle/leistungsdatenverein/spieler/140554

Thats not including penalties won (of which his pace has led to quite a few,) or indirect assists of which there have been plenty. I think that is fantastic end product and you wont get many wingers that get near that imo.

Add that to number of fouls drawn, opposition players booked and ability to get the team up the pitch then he is obviously a big miss.

Interested to see what Newell can do.

SMAXXA
03-08-2019, 06:42 PM
Decent enough first half, took his man on the outside and won a few corners. Faded badly in the second half, header aside. Didn't appear to get much support from Mackie, whereas Whittaker linked with him well a few times in the first.

I agree with this. I think some people find it more obvious to criticise players like him than say Horgan as he’s not as lively and very different but he’s got good qualities and ultimately played his part in winning us the game. I don’t think I will ever be wowed with him and I’d have a player like Horgan with his directness every day of the week but equally I can see the guys attributes and thought he did ok today first half didn’t do much wrong and looked decent, second half quieter but did well near the end.

theonlywayisup
03-08-2019, 06:45 PM
Decent, good addition to the team.

Why do some Hibs.net posters always want to pounce on the negatives. I assume that they are perfect at work, especially when they have an audience watching their every move.

Springbank
03-08-2019, 06:51 PM
Decent player when we actually got him involved. Far from our worst today

I'd say decent player when he shows

Very hard to involve someone who wont show

A big difference from what we've become used to in the likes of Barker McGinn mcgeough Boyle who always show & make themselves available

Will Easter road be a place where this develops for Newell? Let's hope so as he has some real attributes, but was hard to find at times today

Wembley67
03-08-2019, 06:58 PM
Standard Hibs fans, let's berate him on on the first meaningful game.

J-C
03-08-2019, 07:01 PM
Decent 1st half and very average 2nd,header apart, still wonder where exactly he fits in, I'd be tempted to play him in the middle, he'd be decent playing in a diamond on the left of the 2.

RyeSloan
03-08-2019, 07:06 PM
Decent 1st half and very average 2nd,header apart.

Sums it up perfectly.

Thought he did some good things in the first but actually forgot he was playing for about 25 minutes in the second!!

Weegreenman
03-08-2019, 07:08 PM
Still way too early to be judging any of our new players.

I think back to when Horgan first arrived, I thought he was rotten. Now he’s one of my favourite players.

Pedantic_Hibee
03-08-2019, 07:09 PM
Neat and tidy, all left foot. Let’s give him a chance and get behind him, naw? Outrageous idea I know but I thought I’d throw it in there.

Pretty Boy
03-08-2019, 07:12 PM
Of all the posts on this thread there are 15 negative, 19 positive and 16 'neutral' about Newell plus a few that are irrelevant to the topic yet a couple of people are starting with the 'written off already' chat.

Typical Hibs fans, forming a half baked opinion after skimming a thread.

SolentHibee
03-08-2019, 07:12 PM
So when people are saying he was average, they are admitting that he was the same as most of the other hibs players? Apart from the ones who were better and worse than him?

southsider
03-08-2019, 07:15 PM
Good touch
Good Crosser
Distribution OK

The problem was our midfield did not pass to him. Put 2 great balls into the box and won a vital header from which we might have scored.

dmc1875
03-08-2019, 07:17 PM
The problem was our midfield did not pass to him. Put 2 great balls into the box and won a vital header from which we might have scored.

He goes hiding in games for spells though, standing behind his marker all the time happened a lot today. He floats in and out of games. Has zero pace and daydreams on the ball. He clearly is a great crosser by some of his deliveries but he needs to up it and look interested

Tobias Funke
03-08-2019, 07:19 PM
Of all the posts on this thread there are 15 negative, 19 positive and 16 'neutral' about Newell plus a few that are irrelevant to the topic yet a couple of people are starting with the 'written off already' chat.

Typical Hibs fans, forming a half baked opinion after skimming a thread.

Looks likes he’s going to be a “marmite” player.

Bob Box Fish
03-08-2019, 07:20 PM
Played well in the first half.

Pretty Boy
03-08-2019, 07:20 PM
Looks likes he’s going to be a “marmite” player.

I said exactly that about him 3/4s of the way through the Elgin game. He'll split opinion big time, probably be a match winner one week and a total passenger the next.

random sub
03-08-2019, 07:22 PM
The problem was our midfield did not pass to him.

I watched him closely second half and there weren’t many times when he was getting into positions where the midfield could pass to him.

Agree he was decent first half but thought fairly poor second- looked tired.

Real Emerald
03-08-2019, 07:28 PM
He goes hiding in games for spells though, standing behind his marker all the time happened a lot today. He floats in and out of games. Has zero pace and daydreams on the ball. He clearly is a great crosser by some of his deliveries but he needs to up it and look interested

I thought he did a bit of hiding today and coming inside at times when players were looking for an outball to the wing, he’d disappear behind a marker and wasn’t available. He didn’t do it all the time but that is exactly the same thought I had.

SneakersO'Toole
03-08-2019, 07:34 PM
Beside Jackson, Newell was the best of our new signings. And I include Allan in that who beside his goal was terrible.

Brightside
03-08-2019, 07:35 PM
If the midfield would occasionally make a ball wide we might see the best of him.

Smartie
03-08-2019, 07:40 PM
If the midfield would occasionally make a ball wide we might see the best of him.

Our play was strange in that we always seemed to have men under instruction to stay on the touchline, whilst we tried to thread the ball through a central midfield where we were often outnumbered.

greenlex
03-08-2019, 07:40 PM
I watched him closely second half and there weren’t many times when he was getting into positions where the midfield could pass to him.

Agree he was decent first half but thought fairly poor second- looked tired.
really? I thought the opposite second half. If he was more vocal it might help but I lost count of the times he was the out-ball for the defence and Mackie in particular and was ignored.

dmc1875
03-08-2019, 07:41 PM
really? I thought the opposite second half. If he was more vocal it might help but I lost count of the times he was the out-ball for the defence and Mackie in particular and was ignored.

He was definitely hiding in spells particularly in the second half

Smartie
03-08-2019, 07:43 PM
He was definitely hiding in spells particularly in the second half

There were also spells when he was windmilling his arms all over the place trying to alert team-mates to the fact that the pass out to him was on.

LaMotta
03-08-2019, 07:43 PM
Beside Jackson, Newell was the best of our new signings. And I include Allan in that who beside his goal was terrible.

Astonishing analysis :shocked::shocked::shocked:

GoalsMcGinley
03-08-2019, 07:45 PM
He’ll be back down the road this time next season. Awful player. Awful.

The Spaceman
03-08-2019, 07:49 PM

Can you go with him too and never come back in that case?

Brightside
03-08-2019, 07:51 PM
Astonishing analysis :shocked::shocked::shocked:

All 3 of our midfield were poor today. Passing was brutal.

LaMotta
03-08-2019, 07:54 PM
All 3 of our midfield were poor today. Passing was brutal.

Vela the worst, however Mallan average at worst and Allan can not be described as poor by anyone with intelligent eyes.

ekhibee
03-08-2019, 07:57 PM
I have a slightly different opinion, I think he's a lazy player. He's definitely got ability, but he didn't do nearly enough to warrant people saying he was 'very good' in the game today, he wasn't IMO. If he's playing out on the wing and isn't a natural winger then Heckingbottom should explain why Newell's playing in that position in the first place.

Johnny_Leith
03-08-2019, 08:26 PM
Looked to create space and get on the ball. Encouraging signs generally for the first time seeing him live. Was forced to drift infield by our ineptitude at times but at least tried to take people on and take chances.

Borderhibbie76
03-08-2019, 08:32 PM
He was much better today than either Mallan or Horgan who were both quite frankly brutal. Dont understand the negativity towards the lad at all...had a decent 1st half...quieter 2nd but almost scored. Far better than Mallan or Horgan who both constantly gave the ball away all day

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Lancs Harp
03-08-2019, 08:35 PM
I thought he did ok especially after reading the pre season reports on here. Certainly contributed more than a few other players in the green imo.

we are hibs
03-08-2019, 08:47 PM
Im struggling to work him out in all honesty. He is clearly going to come inside from wide and try and link up and play one twos with more central players. He has a good touch and doesnt seem to lose the ball but im not seeing that killer pass, wee bit of skill or a eye for goal so far. If Boyle was fit i dont think he would be starting. I think it would be boyle and horgan wide and newell coming on to replace horgan when he inevitably tires.

GoalsMcGinley
03-08-2019, 08:52 PM
Can you go with him too and never come back in that case?

If he’s the standard you want at ER maybe you shouldn’t bother going back.

davhibby
03-08-2019, 09:11 PM
Hibs fans are strange, there's a thread gushing over Allan who I thought was pretty poor until the last half hour, and Newell is getting slated but I saw him as one of our better performers. It seems if your written off early doors it's impossible to do well

LaMotta
03-08-2019, 09:27 PM
Hibs fans are strange, there's a thread gushing over Allan who I thought was pretty poor until the last half hour, and Newell is getting slated but I saw him as one of our better performers. It seems if your written off early doors it's impossible to do well

You get judged over 90 mins not 60, and Allan clearly had the better game.

Dont think anyone has written off Newell, more some concerns over early performances.

Plenty of time for him to come good.

Crunchie
03-08-2019, 09:28 PM
Seen the lad a few times now and still feel he has nothing to offer going forward .. hope he proves me wrong and pushes on but unimpressed so far, especially today.

First time I've seen him but I don't think I'll be judging him after one game. I thought he did ok on the whole considering it wasn't a great team performance.

I reckon he'll be a decent signing.

Crunchie
03-08-2019, 09:30 PM
Im struggling to work him out in all honesty. He is clearly going to come inside from wide and try and link up and play one twos with more central players. He has a good touch and doesnt seem to lose the ball but im not seeing that killer pass, wee bit of skill or a eye for goal so far. If Boyle was fit i dont think he would be starting. I think it would be boyle and horgan wide and newell coming on to replace horgan when he inevitably tires.

Do you think it's maybe a wee bit too soon to be working him out?

we are hibs
03-08-2019, 09:31 PM
Do you think it's maybe a wee bit too soon to be working him out?

No.

Smartie
03-08-2019, 09:31 PM

Tonight more than ever we seem quite split over who did well and who didn't.

For all of the concerns we got 3 points and the bickering is always easier to stomach when we've won.

The Spaceman
03-08-2019, 09:36 PM
If he’s the standard you want at ER maybe you shouldn’t bother going back.

That makes no sense, you clown.

GoalsMcGinley
03-08-2019, 09:39 PM
That makes no sense, you clown.

You’re the one who thinks Newell played well Coco

The Spaceman
03-08-2019, 09:43 PM
You’re the one who thinks Newell played well Coco

Go and pick out the quote where I said that? :aok:

The less "fans" like you we have, the better. Slating a player who has A) played over 100 games in a far better league than ours by his mid-20s and B) has played 1 competitive game for us is, quite frankly, tragic.

bigwheel
03-08-2019, 09:45 PM

Honestly , I can’t imagine what you see at a game if that’s your conclusion from today...he had some nice touches...amongst them ~ put in an outstanding cross that Kamberi failed to get on the end of, he was very unlucky not to score the opening goal with a header...didn’t do enough at times granted ..but is clearly technically a good footballer ...

Way too early to judge how he will do for us

GoalsMcGinley
04-08-2019, 05:42 AM
Go and pick out the quote where I said that? :aok:

The less "fans" like you we have, the better. Slating a player who has A) played over 100 games in a far better league than ours by his mid-20s and B) has played 1 competitive game for us is, quite frankly, tragic.

2 things here..... firstly, outside 4/5 teams that English championship is full of nag average sides who are on a par with Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen so that’s just nonsense. Secondly, that was Joe Newell’s 5th competitive game for Hibernian not his first. I’ve been at every single one of them. He had a couple of decent moment today but he’s anonymous most of the time. If today was him having a good game I’d hate to see a bad one.

Allant1981
04-08-2019, 06:14 AM
2 things here..... firstly, outside 4/5 teams that English championship is full of nag average sides who are on a par with Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen so that’s just nonsense. Secondly, that was Joe Newell’s 5th competitive game for Hibernian not his first. I’ve been at every single one of them. He had a couple of decent moment today but he’s anonymous most of the time. If today was him having a good game I’d hate to see a bad one.

What was the 5th game you were at that he played in?

GoalsMcGinley
04-08-2019, 07:07 AM
What was the 5th game you were at that he played in?

4th. Damn fingers and a hangover! [emoji23][emoji23]

StevieC
04-08-2019, 07:13 AM
Contributed very little yesterday, looked tired second half .. I’m not going to judge him on a couple of games though, it’s still early days

percy veer
04-08-2019, 07:14 AM
Not sure what the hidden agenda is about Newell, if you don't like him just say, personally think hes ok , think that's about after 3 games I have seen how was Newell now.

DetroitHibs
04-08-2019, 07:24 AM
Watched it on Hibs TV tonight. They didn’t have the team line ups to start the game and it took me until the 7th minute to even realize he was playing, didn’t get a mention. I didn’t think he was bad, nor good. Pretty average game, but that went for the whole team.

Brooster
04-08-2019, 07:36 AM
He looks good technically but showed no inclination to look for the ball or get involved. He needs to dig deeper.

J-C
04-08-2019, 07:49 AM
Contributed very little yesterday, looked tired second half .. I’m not going to judge him on a couple of games though, it’s still early days

Not the only one looking tired, Hirgan was blowing out his erse after 50 mins, Whittaker also after about 70 but he'd put a decent shift on both sides.

500miles
04-08-2019, 07:58 AM
Newell doesn't do enough for 90 minutes. He has something, but I think he might be the kind of player that's most dangerous in the final quarter. I'd rather Horgan played on his preferred left hand side, and Allan on the right, where he'd get more space. Fraser Murray would play through the middle for me.

The Leith Dutch
04-08-2019, 08:01 AM
For me there was good and bad about Newell today.
Some good dribbling and decent crossing but also limited involvement.

Which kind of makes me consider the formation and I don't think it's working.

I wouldn't single out one of Flo, Horgan or Newell but I don't think playing those three in that
formation gives us good value for three of our outfield places.

Also not sure that we're understanding how it's supposed to work.
If we're playing two wide men in a front three I think they have to work as wide men and we have to look to play them in more.
We also need Flo not to drop deep and be there for them to hit.

The idea is presumably to over run other teams by playing 4 out and out attackers but I reckon any half organised team in the league
will own that Hibs XI in the midfield at which point Horgan, Newell, Flo and Allan are out of the game.

allezsauzee
04-08-2019, 08:03 AM
I think Newell will be a marmite player at Hibs. He's not busy and does nothing in a hurry but his use of the ball is very good. We often lament on how poor our delivery is to the strikers from wide areas yet he has demonstrated an ability to put in some good quality crosses in. If Hecky can get him to up his workrate then I reckon he'll be a quality player for us.

thebausburst
04-08-2019, 08:11 AM
stands with hand in the air, gets ball, then passes straight back. Literally just stands on the touch line about 80% of the time doing that and contributes nothing.

theonlywayisup
04-08-2019, 08:12 AM
He was much better today than either Mallan or Horgan who were both quite frankly brutal. Dont understand the negativity towards the lad at all...had a decent 1st half...quieter 2nd but almost scored. Far better than Mallan or Horgan who both constantly gave the ball away all day

I've see that you've used brutal a few times in your posts following yesterday's game. I don't really understand what you mean by the word brutal.

I can guess that on the very good to very poor scale, it's towards the very poor end. Or possibly, beyond the very poor level.

If so, no-one was 'brutal' yesterday. Some had a bad day, but no-one was 'brutal'.

theonlywayisup
04-08-2019, 08:15 AM
stands with hand in the air, gets ball, then passes straight back. Literally just stands on the touch line about 80% of the time doing that and contributes nothing.

If he contributes nothing how did he hit the post and put in at least two fantastic crosses.

Borderhibbie76
04-08-2019, 08:16 AM
I've see that you've used brutal a few times in your posts following yesterday's game. I don't really understand what you mean by the word brutal.

I can guess that on the very good to very poor scale, it's towards the very poor end. Or possibly, beyond the very poor level.

If so, no-one was 'brutal' yesterday. Some had a bad day, but no-one was 'brutal'.I meant he was extremely poor- hope that's clear enough. Just my opinion and I like Horgan as a player but that was as poor as ive seen him for us yesterday...can barely remember him doing anything of note all match

Allant1981
04-08-2019, 08:20 AM
If he contributes nothing how did he hit the post and put in at least two fantastic crosses.

That was the other 20% of the time!!

thebausburst
04-08-2019, 08:28 AM
That was the other 20% of the time!!

:thumbsup:

percy veer
04-08-2019, 08:33 AM
I meant he was extremely poor- hope that's clear enough. Just my opinion and I like Horgan as a player but that was as poor as ive seen him for us yesterday...can barely remember him doing anything of note all match

Perhaps after every game we can start a "how was horgan thread" people seem to be jumping on Newell before he's even got going

stanton_4
04-08-2019, 08:40 AM
Like all the new additions from down south he needs to get up to the speed of our game. Definitley think there's a player in there though. I was more worried about the performance of James. He looked lethargic and uninterested to me. I honestly thought he was looking for an excuse to come off and I was relieved to see him leave the pitch. Jackson had an okay game but Doige had a 25 minute nightmare. He really should have had at least 2 goals but then again at least he's getting in to the positions. Vela tried to get involved but he just didnt show enough urgency. If they all get up to speed we could have a decent season but they need to get their collective fingers out as soon as!

allezsauzee
04-08-2019, 08:46 AM
Like all the new additions from down south he needs to get up to the speed of our game. Definitley think there's a player in there though. I was more worried about the performance of James. He looked lethargic and uninterested to me. I honestly thought he was looking for an excuse to come off and I was relieved to see him leave the pitch. Jackson had an okay game but Doige had a 25 minute nightmare. He really should have had at least 2 goals but then again at least he's getting in to the positions. Vela tried to get involved but he just didnt show enough urgency. If they all get up to speed we could have a decent season but they need to get their collective fingers out as soon as!

A nightmare? Do you mean apart from a very good lay off for the winning goal, getting into some good goalscoring positions even if admittedly he didn't take his chances and helping to make Hibs look a more potent threat when he came on? Can't wait to see his impact when he has a good game.

Squirrel 1875
04-08-2019, 08:51 AM
Actually thought he played well. Heard a lot of negatives about him but felt he got involved and played some nice passes. Wouldn’t be writing him off at all.

Dmas
04-08-2019, 08:51 AM
A nightmare? Do you mean apart from a very good lay off for the winning goal, getting into some good goalscoring positions even if admittedly he didn't take his chances and helping to make Hibs look a more potent threat when he came on? Can't wait to see his impact when he has a good game.

Agree. Thought he had a real impact when he came on just as much if not more than slivka who’s being rightly praised on other threads, think Doidge is getting a hard time from the ‘lower league is pish’ brigade than a fair crack of the whip

stanton_4
04-08-2019, 08:52 AM

Yes, apart from his lay off and if you read my post I did mention he got in to decent positions. Well he did twice and then fluffed his lines so yes I thought he had a bit of a nightmare 25 minutes. I do agree he's a decent player but yesterday defintely falls in the "could do better" category for me. It's all about about opinions tho eh? GGTTH

eastcoasthibby
04-08-2019, 08:59 AM
I think he definitely has got something that we need, in having pretty decent left foot which seems to be pretty decent as well, he can play football, nice touches and will get a few goals from a midfield position is always good. I hope and think he will improve as he gets used to our game up here, yesterday will help that I think, and if he starts next week which is likely he will need to up his work rate by about 40% given his likely opponent !!

bigwheel
04-08-2019, 09:08 AM
Yes, apart from his lay off and if you read my post I did mention he got in to decent positions. Well he did twice and then fluffed his lines so yes I thought he had a bit of a nightmare 25 minutes. I do agree he's a decent player but yesterday defintely falls in the "could do better" category for me. It's all about about opinions tho eh? GGTTH

There’s quite a distance between “could do better” and “nightmare”. I’m sure Most would agree with the former, but the latter point feels pure hyperbole...

He made a positive difference ...could have scored two ..yet, the first one was a little behind him and frankly has let Kamberi off with a very poor one on one miss ...

I like players who disrupt the opposition - he’s one for me ...him and Slivka also changed the tempo for us - made an important difference ..

Baldy Foghorn
04-08-2019, 09:11 AM
Early signs are for me, he can put lovely deliveries into box, but not doing enough. Lots of space yesterday, but wasn't given ball enough, he reminds me of O'Brien, space but not screaming for the pass?

The_Horde
04-08-2019, 09:12 AM
He looks good technically but showed no inclination to look for the ball or get involved. He needs to dig deeper.

Showed plenty dig when he challenged the goalie for Kamberi's goal that never was.

stanton_4
04-08-2019, 09:14 AM
There’s quite a distance between “could do better” and “nightmare”. I’m sure Most would agree with the former, but the latter point feels pure hyperbole...

He made a positive difference ...could have scored two ..yet, the first one was a little behind him and frankly has let Kamberi off with a very poor one on one miss ...

I like players who disrupt the opposition - he’s one for me ...him and Slivka also changed the tempo for us - made an important difference ..

Hyperbole? Jeezo gimme break. Like I said it's all about opinions but when opinions start to get criticised it all gets a bit apples and oranges for me. We can bat this back and forward all day mate but yes... I thought he had a nightmare. I respect your opinion of his performance but I humbly disagree.

Eyrie
04-08-2019, 09:53 AM
Newell looked OK yesterday but I still think he'd be better in the central role occupied by Allan, which won't happen unless there's an injury. Even then we can move Mallan forward or bring in Murray instead of finding another wide player that we don't have.

Agree. Thought he had a real impact when he came on just as much if not more than slivka who’s being rightly praised on other threads, think Doidge is getting a hard time from the ‘lower league is pish’ brigade than a fair crack of the whip
They're different situations. Slivka is being praised because he played better than he normally does, whilst Doidge is being criticised based on expectations arising from his transfer fee.

I want to see more games like yesterday from Slivka and will give Doidge a few games before judging him.

St Pauli Hibee
04-08-2019, 09:55 AM
He is a guff Thomas Muller 😂😂