PDA

View Full Version : Off the ball

oconnors_strip
02-08-2019, 07:49 PM
BBC radio Scotland show Off the ball is now in its 25th year!

https://twitter.com/offtheballbbc/status/1157018866507243520?s=21

And the wee lassie Tam Cowan refers to in the attached link is me! I’m going to be on the show sometime tomorrow between 12-1 to talk about my sacking 20 years ago!!

Billy Whizz
02-08-2019, 07:51 PM

And the wee lassie Tam Cowan refers to in the attached link is me! I’m going to be on the show sometime tomorrow between 12-1 to talk about my sacking 20 years ago!!

Brilliant, I listen every week

theonlywayisup
02-08-2019, 08:18 PM

Why did you get sacked?

whiskyhibby
02-08-2019, 08:28 PM
Can’t listen to that Motherwell supporting Jambo sycophant muppet, been the case for a few years now, get rid of him and I might tune in again......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oconnors_strip
02-08-2019, 08:33 PM
Why did you get sacked?

For saying out loud that Stuart Dougal needed glasses, Hugh Dallas overheard me and reported me to club officials. Thought I would get a telling off as a ballgirl and not the sack!! Makes me laugh now 😂

Turnbullsmate
02-08-2019, 08:43 PM
For saying out loud that Stuart Dougal needed glasses, Hugh Dallas overheard me and reported me to club officials. Thought I would get a telling off as a ballgirl and not the sack!! Makes me laugh now 😂

now we are talking. One of my fave clips is off the ballboy behind the goal when Zitelli knocked in number four in the 6-2 drubbing. ballboy totally ecstatic . "***** the ball i'm celebrating "

Iggy Pope
02-08-2019, 08:43 PM

We still need handy ballpersons that stay awake. You thought about sticking your CV in again?

Smartie
02-08-2019, 08:53 PM

My grandad died a few years ago of left ventricular failure (he was well into his 90s and the ticker had served him well).

We used to find it funny to mention the name Stuart Dougal to him and watch how worked up he got. The old boy could on occasion display an anger that only a true Rangers men are capable of.

For a while we worried that this little game may have contributed to his eventual demise.

If you'd have asked my grandad what Dougal needed, it certainly wouldn't have been glasses.

hibby6270
02-08-2019, 08:59 PM
I’m still waiting for an OTB tee shirt I won on the show 20 years ago. I’m sure my postie nicked it!!

They had Fish (Derek Dick) on the Saturday post match show and invited listeners to call in with some ‘fish’ related puns/one liners as to why Hibs would win Division 1 and get promoted. (98/99 season)

Think my contribution was along the lines of “We had ‘leapt like a salmon’ to the top of the league and nobody would knock us off our ‘perch’”

Still waiting Messrs Cowan and Cosgrove. :rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
02-08-2019, 09:00 PM
Love Off The Ball. It's not high brow but it doesn't pretent to be anything it's not; everyone is fair game and they'll happily talk up the game in Scotland when it deserves it. It's easy listening either on the day off a game or on the podcast during the week.

As for Hugh Dallas, what a snivelling grass. Maybe you should have made a sectarian joke. He'd have found that hilarious.

Smartie
02-08-2019, 09:02 PM
Love Off The Ball. It's not high brow but it doesn't pretent to be anything it's not; everyone is fair game and they'll happily talk up the game in Scotland when it deserves it. It's easy listening either on the day off a game or on the podcast during the week.

As for Hugh Dallas, what a snivelling grass. Maybe you should have made a sectarian joke. He'd have found that hilarious.

I also love it, I really miss going to away games by car and listening to it.

It's a typically Scottish football thing that it is cool to hate it, constantly slag it yet still listen to it.

oconnors_strip
02-08-2019, 09:02 PM
We still need handy ballpersons that stay awake. You thought about sticking your CV in again?

Sadly I’m carrying a injury.......and also a bit to old at 34😂 :greengrin:

02-08-2019, 09:03 PM
Tam Cowan is a grade A ****er. A glaswegian Neanderthal clown

CloudSquall
02-08-2019, 09:05 PM

Hugh Dallas grassed up a ballgirl?

What grown man does that 🤣

cabbageandribs1875
02-08-2019, 09:08 PM
Off The Ball is top notch

The 90+2
02-08-2019, 09:15 PM

Once a troublemaker.... N :greengrin

Vini1875
02-08-2019, 09:42 PM

He's not from Glasgow. He's from Motherwell.

Here’s Lucy!
02-08-2019, 09:43 PM

Motherwell mate.

02-08-2019, 09:52 PM
I also love it, I really miss going to away games by car and listening to it.

It's a typically Scottish football thing that it is cool to hate it, constantly slag it yet still listen to it.

Exactly, can't imagine a better show for before and after a game. It's easy to say it's crap but I'd like to know what format of show those who slag it would suggest instead. More of Sportsound would just be more Celtic & Rangers chat, unless by some miracle they could cover others clubs to the same level of those 2.

The 90+2
02-08-2019, 09:53 PM
He's not from Glasgow. He's from Motherwell.

He loves the hearts.

Sammy7nil
02-08-2019, 10:01 PM
Exactly, can't imagine a better show for before and after a game. It's easy to say it's crap but I'd like to know what format of show those who slag it would suggest instead. More of Sportsound would just be more Celtic & Rangers chat, unless by some miracle they could cover others clubs to the same level of those 2.

I agree it is a good show.

He loves the hearts.

I agree he has soft spot for the Jambos and has done freebie shows for them.

02-08-2019, 10:07 PM

Great wee story.

I bet one of them ask you if you're still doing the job so you should get your funny reply ready, something they won't be expecting. Something like, "Yes but not at Easter Road." It's taken a while but you've managed to work your way up through the ranks to the top of your profession culminating in Head Ball Person at the Wimbledon final a few weeks ago.

Sammy7nil
02-08-2019, 10:09 PM
Great wee story.

I bet one of them ask you if you're still doing the job so you should get your funny reply ready, something they won't be expecting. Something like, "Yes but not at Easter Road." It's taken a while but you've managed to work your way up through the ranks to the top of your profession culminating in Head Ball Person at the Wimbledon final a few weeks ago.

Don't use that. Think of a witty reply :wink: :greengrin :wink:

02-08-2019, 10:10 PM
Don't use that. Think of a witty reply :wink: :greengrin :wink:

:thumbsup: :top marks

lord bunberry
03-08-2019, 01:40 AM
I remember that well, your dad was raging :greengrin

Swedish hibee
03-08-2019, 03:08 AM
Can’t listen to that Motherwell supporting Jambo sycophant muppet, been the case for a few years now, get rid of him and I might tune in again......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like listening to the show and enjoy the humour that both Tam & Stuart bring. You certainly miss them when they are not there and the stand in's (chic) are on.
Look forward to hearing you on it tomorrow!

Viva_Palmeiras
03-08-2019, 05:58 AM
Very progressive attitudes to things. He’s a dinosaur trapped in the past who only recently - iirc last Saturday -and unnecessarily was still referring to throwbacks of the 70s when talking about ice cream vans and excusing stuff (term for double choc wafer - cos that’s what it was called back then) complete dumpling obv incapable of learning. Sits well with the Jambos.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13125798.tam-cowan-remains-suspended-by-bbc-after-sexist-column-row/

Fuzzywuzzy
03-08-2019, 06:03 AM
I’m still waiting for an OTB tee shirt I won on the show 20 years ago. I’m sure my postie nicked it!!

They had Fish (Derek Dick) on the Saturday post match show and invited listeners to call in with some ‘fish’ related puns/one liners as to why Hibs would win Division 1 and get promoted. (98/99 season)

Think my contribution was along the lines of “We had ‘leapt like a salmon’ to the top of the league and nobody would knock us off our ‘perch’”

Still waiting Messrs Cowan and Cosgrove. :rolleyes:

I won a petty and Ill informed t-shirt years ago while I was ain Australia. My mum shipped it over. Think it got abandoned in st kilda

oconnors_strip
03-08-2019, 10:19 AM
I will be on the radio just after 1 today. Thanks for the support :greengrin:

Billy Whizz
03-08-2019, 10:22 AM
I will be on the radio just after 1 today. Thanks for the support :greengrin:

I’ll have it in in the car, look forward to it

Will you be signing autographs in the East, pre match😄

KWJ
03-08-2019, 10:27 AM
Enjoy!

It has it's good moments and it has it's cringe moments. Cowan was an arse after the Scottish Cup win. But he has made me laugh and is part of an away day drive.

The raphael schiedt signing comments had me greeting with laughter.

Kid - ahm away to get schiedt on ma new top.

Maw - aw no you arnae!

oconnors_strip
03-08-2019, 11:31 AM
I’ll have it in in the car, look forward to it

Will you be signing autographs in the East, pre match😄

Yes I will, will also have my security with me 😂

vuefrom1875
03-08-2019, 11:42 AM

Illiterate as well I believe.

Since452
03-08-2019, 11:48 AM
Tam Cowan is a well known Hearts sympathiser. He's done numerous hospitality appearances at Tynecastle. Might be a Motherwell fan but he's definitely got Hearts leanings. Cosgrove is the more articulate and intelligent of the two and has been very complimentary towards Hibs over the years. I like the show and have listened since it first aired. For me its a must and a part of my football Saturday.

The Harp
03-08-2019, 01:26 PM

Heard you on the show earlier. You came across well.
Well done!

500miles
03-08-2019, 01:38 PM
Tam Cowan is a well known Hearts sympathiser. He's done numerous hospitality appearances at Tynecastle. Might be a Motherwell fan but he's definitely got Hearts leanings. Cosgrove is the more articulate and intelligent of the two and has been very complimentary towards Hibs over the years. I like the show and have listened since it first aired. For me its a must and a part of my football Saturday.

"Hearts sympathiser" It's a (shan) fitba team, no Isis mate.

oconnors_strip
03-08-2019, 04:19 PM
Heard you on the show earlier. You came across well.
Well done!

Thanks 👍🏻

Northern Hibby
03-08-2019, 04:44 PM
I remember spitting my coffee out when they had Shereen Nanjiani on the show.

Tam: what's it like going through life knowing your name is rhyming slag?

Shereen : it didn't know, what's it rhyme with?

She clearly did and was just throwing the joke back at Tam but his answer was priceless

Tam: Noel Hunt! 🤣😂🤣

heretoday
03-08-2019, 04:45 PM
How about The Krankies?

Jim44
03-08-2019, 08:53 PM
Anywhere west of Newbridge is Glasgow in my book. :greengrin

Saturday Boy
03-08-2019, 09:01 PM
Anywhere west of Newbridge is Glasgow in my book. :greengrin

Your definitely being generous there. Anywhere pat Roseburn is “west coast” for me 😂

hibbiedon
04-08-2019, 08:26 AM
Hugh Dallas grassed up a ballgirl?

What grown man does that ��

I cannot stand Hugh Dallas but I was with him a few weeks after this incident, he denied being involved and was angry that Rod let him take the blame as it was our head of security that reported the incident.
Dallas never made any comment and it was more the papers that blew it out of proportion so they could have a pop at Hibs

HFC93
04-08-2019, 08:53 AM

Petty and ill informed, you'd fit in well on Off the Ball.

oconnors_strip
04-08-2019, 09:43 AM
I cannot stand Hugh Dallas but I was with him a few weeks after this incident, he denied being involved and was angry that Rod let him take the blame as it was our head of security that reported the incident.
Dallas never made any comment and it was more the papers that blew it out of proportion so they could have a pop at Hibs

Well as the person who it happened to, I was told by Hibs it was Dallas who reported me to the Hibs security staff in the tunnel who then reported it to higher up staff eg Petrie.

Believe who you want, it happened and can’t change the outcome. Getting in to games for free for 2 years after was a bonus and Hibs shot themselves in the foot with that one :greengrin

Since452
04-08-2019, 10:01 AM
"Hearts sympathiser" It's a (shan) fitba team, no Isis mate.

Sorry

hibbyfraelibby
04-08-2019, 10:16 AM
Well passed its sell by date in its current format. Cowan needs bulleted and replaced by a proper comedian, he is no longer funny nor does his faux controversialism work any more.

Just like with the now turgid Game for a Laugh the BBC dont know when to drop tired quarter century old formats that are no longer relevant.