PDA

View Full Version : Tynecastle features in the Edin Festival

mutley
02-08-2019, 08:39 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-49195487

All though the 15,000 tickets are free, I am sure there must be some sort of income from this.

BUT more importantly, this is fantastic publicity for them. I know that their location is probably a bit closer to the city centre and probably a bit easier to get to with public transport for tourists, but every year , the Fringe Festival gets bigger and expands further away from the centre. Should Hibs be looking at doing something?

(I know the last couple of years the 1902 show has played at the Wee Red Bar, but should ER be considered for things like this)

danhibees1875
02-08-2019, 08:54 AM
I think we did do something in the East stand concourse the year before last. Can't remember what though. I think it was football related, but maybe not specifically Hibs. Tynecastle also hosts an act, I think it's a fringe act anyway, about the role of footballers during the war. "A war of two halves" I think it's called.

To answer your question, I think Hibs should try to get themselves involved in the festival. :agree: It's a fantastic thing to have in the city, and any involvement from Hibs would be great to see and hopefully drive some benefits to Hibs - such as increased ticket sales as visitors take in a game.

There's 12 recognised festivals throughout the year, from the fringe through to jazz, storytelling, science, and book festivals. There's space for a sports festival there I think, which Hibs could be at the heart of.

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-08-2019, 09:00 AM
That dump over our brilliant stadium?

A joke surely 😯😕

GreenCastle
02-08-2019, 09:03 AM

All though the 15,000 tickets are free, I am sure there must be some sort of income from this.

BUT more importantly, this is fantastic publicity for them. I know that their location is probably a bit closer to the city centre and probably a bit easier to get to with public transport for tourists, but every year , the Fringe Festival gets bigger and expands further away from the centre. Should Hibs be looking at doing something?

(I know the last couple of years the 1902 show has played at the Wee Red Bar, but should ER be considered for things like this)

Be interesting to see how the pitch is after.

I know ours suffered after that Elton John concert a few years back.

tamig
02-08-2019, 09:34 AM

That was my first thought. I take it folk will be on the pitch? Not sure what the set-up is.

offshorehibby
02-08-2019, 09:44 AM
I think we did do something in the East stand concourse the year before last. Can't remember what though. I think it was football related, but maybe not specifically Hibs. Tynecastle also hosts an act, I think it's a fringe act anyway, about the role of footballers during the war. "A war of two halves" I think it's called.

We had a play in the East 2 or 3 years back by a local theatre group all about the the start up and early days of Hibs, Malcolm, from .net was in ithe'll be able to remember what it was called.

I saw the pitched with tarpaulins on the news and my first thought went the EJ gig and damaged to pitch.

Although it would be pretty hard to damage the farmers field they already have.

Onceinawhile
02-08-2019, 09:49 AM
That was my first thought. I take it folk will be on the pitch? Not sure what the set-up is.

Not necessarily, could have the Orchestra in one stand and the attendees in the other 3? If 15,000 tickets have been sold, that would suggest at least one stand is out of use.

Or it might be that it's just the Orchestra on the pitch?

I don't know.

GreenCastle
02-08-2019, 10:04 AM
Not necessarily, could have the Orchestra in one stand and the attendees in the other 3? If 15,000 tickets have been sold, that would suggest at least one stand is out of use.

I don't know.

Looks like the stage is on the pitch - will be interesting to see how it looks after.

https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-culture/red-carpet-to-be-rolled-out-for-hollywood-themed-tynecastle-concert-1-4973343

Sean1875
02-08-2019, 10:24 AM

Its not as if the ball spends much time on the pitch there anyways tbf.

Lancs Harp
02-08-2019, 10:32 AM
there was a piece on Sky this morning (think they were going round all SPL teams today) and they did a feature on Hearts while I was watching, interview with Queen Anne and a behind the scenes look in their new dressing rooms etc. They went onto the pitch and the stage is set at one end with a pitch cover and seats across the rest of the pitch.

BoomtownHibees
02-08-2019, 11:08 AM
That’s what happens when you can offer a view of the castle

WeeRussell
02-08-2019, 11:11 AM
That’s what happens when you can offer a view of the castle

Flatten out and improve their pitch while being able to post an early high attendance for them.

Win win for "the famous".

hibbyfraelibby
02-08-2019, 11:14 AM

Yup folk and stage in the pitch. Full length. Bang goes £1m of pitch improvements in one fell swoop to satisfy Granny Budges ego

The Harp
02-08-2019, 12:07 PM
[QUOTE=offshorehibby;5867477]We had a play in the East 2 or 3 years back by a local theatre group all about the the start up and early days of Hibs, Malcolm, from .net was in ithe'll be able to remember what it was called.
[ll/QUOTE].

Yeah, think it was called A Field of our Own. I went to see it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

hibbymac
02-08-2019, 12:55 PM

I don't know.

The stage and 5000 seats will be on the pitch. .... “We’ve put aluminium protection, which is a bit like an artificial runway, down on the part of the pitch where the stage is going to be and there will be a plastic coating on the rest of the pitch where around 5000 people will be sitting on Friday night."

tamig
02-08-2019, 01:42 PM
Yup folk and stage in the pitch. Full length. Bang goes £1m of pitch improvements in one fell swoop to satisfy Granny Budges ego

It doesn’t matter if the pitch is only covered for a day or two but that will definitely take a toll on it. Good stuff.

Austinho
02-08-2019, 01:49 PM

(I know the last couple of years the 1902 show has played at the Wee Red Bar, but should ER be considered for things like this)Easter Road is approximately twice as close to the centre of Edinburgh as Tynecastle. We are closer to the Heart of Midlothian than they are.

jacomo
02-08-2019, 01:59 PM

:agree:

A very weird decision.

Edit: perhaps Levein hates the new pitch because opponents can actually pass the ball on it, so is happy for it to get smashed up on the eve of the new season?

hibbyfraelibby
02-08-2019, 01:59 PM
Easter Road is approximately twice as close to the centre of Edinburgh as Tynecastle. We are closer to the Heart of Midlothian than they are.

Pedant Alert!

How can you be twice as close? Half the distance makes you near, twice makes you further surely?

vercol36
02-08-2019, 03:16 PM
Pedant Alert!

How can you be twice as close? Half the distance makes you near, twice makes you further surely?

Twice the distance (like you said) would make you further. But twice as close (like he said) would make you closer...no?

The 90+2
02-08-2019, 03:40 PM
Missing a great opportunity bypassing the festival each year. Hopefully Ron sees this.

DTS
02-08-2019, 03:43 PM
Isn’t this the reason they requested an away game first up? Give me St Mirren at home over a ruined pitch before the season starts and a tough away game to start the season

hibbyfraelibby
02-08-2019, 03:45 PM
Twice the distance (like you said) would make you further. But twice as close (like he said) would make you closer...no?

You cannot be twice as close only half as far away...do the math

Pedantry Off

The 90+2
02-08-2019, 03:50 PM
Isn’t this the reason they requested an away game first up? Give me St Mirren at home over a ruined pitch before the season starts and a tough away game to start the season

They have a hybrid pitch. It won’t be ruined. Probably one of the reasons they smashed £1m into it.

Since452
02-08-2019, 04:09 PM
Tynecastle's largest attendance this season will be to see some street performing melt from Estonia pretend they're trapped in an invisible box. Says it all.

vercol36
02-08-2019, 04:13 PM
You cannot be twice as close only half as far away...do the math

Pedantry Off

But I don’t think it’s to do with maths, really. You can be ‘twice as small’, wherein you are 100% smaller than the referent. So why couldn’t you be twice as close?

hibbyfraelibby
02-08-2019, 04:37 PM
But I don’t think it’s to do with maths, really. You can be ‘twice as small’, wherein you are 100% smaller than the referent. So why couldn’t you be twice as close?

Education today.

You cannot be twice as small. Twice is a multiplier not a divisor... if you use "small" or "near" you need to use half a divisor not twice a multiplier. If you are smaller or nearer you divide the original size or distance.

If you are 100% smaller than something it means that you are non existant as the whole = 100% and therefore the whole -100% = Zero

southsider
02-08-2019, 06:03 PM
I saw a show that was like a history of Hibs the first fan was an Irish fella called Dan and the younger fan was a Scots guy called Dode .It was very well done. The stage show for Sunshine on Leith was also brilliant.

tamig
02-08-2019, 07:36 PM
They have a hybrid pitch. It won’t be ruined. Probably one of the reasons they smashed £1m into it.

Hybrid pitches still get damaged.

Iggy Pope
02-08-2019, 07:43 PM
Hybrid pitches still get damaged.

Show us the maths!

Iggy Pope
02-08-2019, 07:46 PM

It seems you can only be twice as far away but never twice as close.

G B Young
02-08-2019, 07:55 PM
Tynecastle's largest attendance this season will be to see some street performing melt from Estonia pretend they're trapped in an invisible box. Says it all.

It's the LA Philharmonic. They're a big deal worldwide and it's no surprise the free tickets were snapped up so fast.

But the venue is irrelevant. It will bring no publicity to Hearts in a footballing sense ie anyone attending who isn't already a Hearts fan is highly unlikely to give a second thought to the fact they're in a football stadium, let alone start thinking 'I must start supporting the club which plays here.'

As an aside, anyone remember when we used to let Edinburgh Rugby use ER for some of their home games?

Scott Allan Key
02-08-2019, 08:42 PM
Education today.

You cannot be twice as small. Twice is a multiplier not a divisor... if you use "small" or "near" you need to use half a divisor not twice a multiplier. If you are smaller or nearer you divide the original size or distance.

If you are 100% smaller than something it means that you are non existant as the whole = 100% and therefore the whole -100% = ZeroThere are a few Father McGuire's supporting Hibs, which makes Hibs.net a bit more entertaining, lol.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Golden Bear
02-08-2019, 08:45 PM
They're also utilising their new sooper dooper rooftop restaurant facility for the festival fireworks display and only charging customers £80 a skull for the privilege 🙄

hibby6270
02-08-2019, 08:47 PM
Another aspect of this is the damage it will do to their £1 million pitch.
Remember a few years ago the post Elton John concert pitch damage at ER? Took a year or more to get rid of the scars on the pitch. Tynie will be back to the tattie field it was a couple of seasons ago. But hey, they’ll only be interested in the income - needed to complete the 8th Wonder!!

hibbyfraelibby
02-08-2019, 09:00 PM
Looks like their super duper world bestest entry system made the shambles at ER look like a minor irritation. They had to delay the start by 30 minutes to get folk in.

Wee Scottie Dug
02-08-2019, 09:10 PM
They're also utilising their new sooper dooper rooftop restaurant facility for the festival fireworks display and only charging customers £80 a skull for the privilege 🙄

I thought I misheard that advertised on the radio ..... Assumed it was £18 ..... Wonder what they will get for their 80 smackeroonies apart from the obvious unobstructed castle view:wink:

mvteng
02-08-2019, 09:28 PM
Looks like their sper duper world bestest entry system made the shambles look like a minor irritation. They had to delay the start by 30 minutes to get folk in.

Loads of people still coming in after it started.

To be fair, at least the barcode worked in the scanners, more than my season ticket did at ER on Tuesday 😀

Col2
02-08-2019, 09:51 PM
The stadium was offered FREE OF CHARGE by Queen Ann.

A few months ago when they were looking for appropriate venue the ever so vain Budge offered the stadium free assuming catering, audio/visuals etc were picked up by the Edin Festival Committee.

At a pre event with a few hundred a few months ago she was seen standing on her own several times (with tartan waste coat on) as funnily enough the arty farty people don’t have a clue who she was!!! It was just before the cup final, again 95% of attendees were not interested. Only the few Hearts related arty supporters chatted to her. Was told it was a bit ackward.

THIS is where some of the FOH money is going.

By all accounts the Hearts ownership and benefits for her husband and brother in law have become all part of an Ann Budge ego trip as part of her later years in life. Hence being completely divorced from what is going on - on the pitch.

Thankfully for us for now Craig Levein is the biggest loser in town and will keep them mid table but at some point when that does change and they get a decent manager we might be playing catch up. However at that point Budge legacy debt and the jamboree bowling club committee structure may add a new dimension.

Is that stand finished yet? Eh not quite.

heretoday
02-08-2019, 10:31 PM
Will the orchestra be warming up in the Gorgie Suite?

Baader
02-08-2019, 10:40 PM
Attendance will no doubt be included in their average gate this season. It could actually be more than what Tiny holds - something only they could manage.

Smartie
02-08-2019, 10:46 PM
Will the orchestra be warming up in the Gorgie Suite?

They won't often hold an event at Tynecastle with so few trumpets present.

LeithSqualk
03-08-2019, 07:27 AM
Just seen the sky sports video. Why do they have a ww1 soldier outline in reception?

son of haggart
03-08-2019, 09:27 AM
Just seen the sky sports video. Why do they have a ww1 soldier outline in reception?

https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/war-of-two-halves

I assume it's for this play, which is showing throughout the Festival

Eyrie
03-08-2019, 10:23 AM
The stadium was offered FREE OF CHARGE by Queen Ann.

A few months ago when they were looking for appropriate venue the ever so vain Budge offered the stadium free assuming catering, audio/visuals etc were picked up by the Edin Festival Committee.

At a pre event with a few hundred a few months ago she was seen standing on her own several times (with tartan waste coat on) as funnily enough the arty farty people don’t have a clue who she was!!! It was just before the cup final, again 95% of attendees were not interested. Only the few Hearts related arty supporters chatted to her. Was told it was a bit ackward.

THIS is where some of the FOH money is going.

By all accounts the Hearts ownership and benefits for her husband and brother in law have become all part of an Ann Budge ego trip as part of her later years in life. Hence being completely divorced from what is going on - on the pitch.

Thankfully for us for now Craig Levein is the biggest loser in town and will keep them mid table but at some point when that does change and they get a decent manager we might be playing catch up. However at that point Budge legacy debt and the jamboree bowling club committee structure may add a new dimension.

Is that stand finished yet? Eh not quite.

And Budge will still be there for a couple more seasons (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49211118). So it'll be her in charge and her pet Levein pulling the strings.

jacomo
03-08-2019, 10:39 AM

Think it’s to go alongside their Great War Winners Trophy.

DTS
06-08-2019, 10:28 AM

Looks pretty grim to me..

Ozyhibby
06-08-2019, 10:38 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190806/446d70e0154f481ebd9560948f71f403.jpg
I’d rather we didn’t do festival concerts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean1875
06-08-2019, 10:40 AM

:faf: :faf: :faf: **** that. Mind you, doesn't make much difference with their "Lump it up to Uche, Uche fall over, win a free kick" strategy they employ.

GreenCastle
06-08-2019, 10:43 AM

Pretty much how our pitch was after Elton John and didn’t recover for a while.

Interesting to see how it looks on Saturday for their 1st home game.

League should be asking questions if it isn’t fit for purpose. In England they have specific rules for top flight pitches.

Clowns.

Sean1875
06-08-2019, 10:47 AM
Pretty much how our pitch was after Elton John and didn’t recover for a while.

Interesting to see how it looks on Saturday for their 1st home game.

League should be asking questions if it isn’t fit for purpose. In England they have specific rules for top flight pitches.

Clowns.

The Wembley pitch Spurs played on after the NFL game there was absolutely honking in fairness, don't know what those rules are.

GreenCastle
06-08-2019, 10:52 AM
The Wembley pitch Spurs played on after the NFL game there was absolutely honking in fairness, don't know what those rules are.

That was true.

Basically grass needs to be a certain length.
Grass needs to be cut in a certain way - no dodgy patterns.
Not sure if all pitches are meant to be watered before kick off as this was an issue Man City had within Brighton last game of the season.

Some of the rules are to do with how it looks for fans on TV.

But clubs can be fined for not following the EPL rules.

tamig
06-08-2019, 11:27 AM

Lovely to see.

jacomo
06-08-2019, 11:35 AM
:faf: :faf: :faf: **** that. Mind you, doesn't make much difference with their "Lump it up to Uche, Uche fall over, win a free kick" strategy they employ.

:agree:

"When you get to the edge of the green section, hoof!"

brianmc
06-08-2019, 11:36 AM
Pretty sure this is an old pic from when the pitch was first put in, sadly.

06-08-2019, 11:40 AM

Probably. It'll be funny to see on social media at the weekend their OTT praise at how well the pitch has held up after the concert.

hibbyfraelibby
06-08-2019, 12:31 PM

Nope that pattenation impressed in the pitch matches the pattern you get when you lay interlocking plastc flooring on grass and almost matches the exact area they laid it on for that concert.

The lighting is similar to that we and Murrayfied use to encourage growth etc.