PDA

View Full Version : Are you confident that we'll have a good season?

theonlywayisup
02-08-2019, 07:13 AM
What's your confidence levels at the moment that Hibs will have a good season?

We've now completed the pre-season friendlies and have navigated our way through the League Cup matches despite ever putting our strongest team out on the park. The new boys are getting time to impress and you'll have your thoughts on this. We've got some injured players expected back soon and Boyle out for a period of time.

So from a score of 9 (supremely confident that the feel-good factor will be with us and we'll have a good season) to 1 (supremely confident that we're going to have a miserable season watching depressing football). There's no middle ground, for those who like to sit on the fence.

I've not defined what a 'good' or 'miserable' season is, but I'm sure you'll all have a view.

So are you a 'happy clapper' or a 'bed wetter' based on what you've seen so far. Poll to close in 2 days!!

H18 SFR
02-08-2019, 07:18 AM
With a couple of more quality signings (Boyle injury etc) we will have a good season.

theonlywayisup
02-08-2019, 07:18 AM
7 for me.

I think we've made some good signings and I've trust in Hecky. Maybe not ready to compete with Aberdeen and the Old Firm.

BILLYHIBS
02-08-2019, 07:35 AM
Confident of another couple of signings coming in before window shuts

A marquee signing or two would do wonders for ST sales

Still looking a bit light for me as things stand

Gutted for Boyler

Edit:

Still behind Celtic The Rangers and Aberdeen factor in injuries suspensions loss of form the usual stupid dropped points ( inconsistency)

New recruits still needed

As things stand it’s a 4

Sir David Gray
02-08-2019, 07:40 AM
I think we're very light up front, I think we'll be looking at a similar finish to last season unless we strengthen in the forward areas.

Bangkok Hibby
I'm confident of a good season. Celtic/Rangers out of sight I fear this year so Aberdeen is our realistic target.

Pretty Boy
Somewhere between 5 and 8.

I really think it could go either way. We have quite a mixed bag of fixtures early on but if we can get a decent start we have a run of very winnable games from mid October to early December before that horrible run of fixtures leading up to boxing day.

If we start well, get a head of steam up and build some confidence I think we can go well. If we struggle early doors I can see a lower top 6/upper bottom 6 slog and a lot of grumbling and moaning.

calumhibee1
02-08-2019, 07:44 AM
With the squad as it is just now I reckon top 6 will be fine but we’ll struggle for top 4. Although in saying that I don’t see a 4th team that look better than us, so I’m not sure why I think that.

I could see us being quite a bit off top 3 though. I’ll give my prediction a 6. 4th would be a very good season, slightly soured by being not particularly close to anyone above us.

Humo
02-08-2019, 07:45 AM
4th or Higher and a decent cup run and we will of had a very good season

Lancs Harp
02-08-2019, 07:48 AM
Im expecting a fight with Hearts for 4th spot.

I think we're a little way behind Aberdeen. I think an ever improving Rangers will take an a best static Celtic pretty close this season.

I'd be surprised to see Killie achieve what they did last season and honestly dont see any of the other sides being as strong as we are.

My crystal ball says 4th or 5th.

If we end up out of the top 6 then we should be having a good look at ourselves.

theonlywayisup
02-08-2019, 07:53 AM
Somewhere between 5 and 8.

I really think it could go either way. We have quite a mixed bag of fixtures early on but if we can get a decent start we have a run of very winnable games from mid October to early December before that horrible run of fixtures leading up to boxing day.

If we start well, get a head of steam up and build some confidence I think we can go well. If we struggle early doors I can see a lower top 6/upper bottom 6 slog and a lot of grumbling and moaning.

Dam - just noticed that I've add "1" twice in the poll options. Anyway that you can correct? :greengrin

If not, the first "1" should be a "2".

Northernhibee
02-08-2019, 08:58 AM
We have a good manager who will develop players, we have 2-3 youngsters waiting to come through, we have made some good signings. Would like a couple more but otherwise we have a lot more balance in the team than when we started last season.

ahibby
02-08-2019, 09:20 AM
Most pundits predicting a 4th place for us. One higher than last season so if transpires would be improvement = good season. Some on here are saying Aberdeen looking stronger than us and that is a wee bit disappointing. We will perhaps negate that though when we take Ojo out in our first meeting with them haha.

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-08-2019, 09:21 AM
Last season was saved really well from Hecky

I'm going for further improvements with Scotty Allan returning and Flo being full of confidence again

4th and winning the League Cup

JimBHibees
02-08-2019, 09:30 AM
7 for me.

I think we've made some good signings and I've trust in Hecky. Maybe not ready to compete with Aberdeen and the Old Firm.

That would be where I am, pretty happy with the signings and think we will strengthen again before window. Top 4 must be the target plus at least one trip to hampden via cups.

Diclonius
02-08-2019, 09:31 AM
I'm concerned with the OP's grasp of numbers.

we are hibs
02-08-2019, 09:35 AM
7. We will be better than last season and finish one place higher. I just want to watch us take teams on. That feeling that we are capable of beating anyone at easter road.

jacomo
02-08-2019, 09:37 AM
Can’t vote on my phone but I’m feeling confident.

All the new players look promising and I expect we will see a couple of additions this month.

PatHead
02-08-2019, 09:40 AM
I expect us to do well, which to me is chasing 3rd with 2 decent cup runs. I am quite excited with the academy players adding to the squad.

It is important that we start to see a return from the academy.

Hibrandenburg
02-08-2019, 09:46 AM
Followed Hibs for too long to have high expectations. Just hope for the best and expect the worst.

BoomtownHibees
02-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Im expecting a fight with Hearts for 4th spot.

I think we're a little way behind Aberdeen. I think an ever improving Rangers will take an a best static Celtic pretty close this season.

I'd be surprised to see Killie achieve what they did last season and honestly dont see any of the other sides being as strong as we are.

My crystal ball says 4th or 5th.

If we end up out of the top 6 then we should be having a good look at ourselves.

That’s where I am as well.

Celtc/the Rangers clear at the top
Aberdeen - feel we are still a wee bit behind however they should be the aim
Hibs/Hearts/Motherwell - can see the 3 battling it out for 4th
Killie/St J - will both struggle for top 6
Ross C/St Mirren/Hamilton/Livi - relegation fodder

Onceinawhile
02-08-2019, 09:52 AM
think we'll finish 4th or 5th.

I'd take 5th if it meant 2 x long runs in the cup.

I actually think we might do the cup double this year. Maybe just need back on my meds.

The 90+2
02-08-2019, 09:57 AM
Completely 50/50 at this moment.

theonlywayisup
02-08-2019, 10:00 AM

:greengrin

I always add one deliberate mistake to check if anyone is paying attention!

Hibbyradge
02-08-2019, 10:04 AM
What's your confidence levels at the moment that Hibs will have a good season?

We've now completed the pre-season friendlies and have navigated our way through the League Cup matches despite ever putting our strongest team out on the park. The new boys are getting time to impress and you'll have your thoughts on this. We've got some injured players expected back soon and Boyle out for a period of time.

So from a score of 9 (supremely confident that the feel-good factor will be with us and we'll have a good season) to 1 (supremely confident that we're going to have a miserable season watching depressing football). There's no middle ground, for those who like to sit on the fence.

I've not defined what a 'good' or 'miserable' season is, but I'm sure you'll all have a view.

So are you a 'happy clapper' or a 'bed wetter' based on what you've seen so far. Poll to close in 2 days!!

There is a middle ground. It's 5. However, I haven't got a clue how the season will progress.

I'm neither a happy clapper or a bed wetter as far as the forthcoming season is concerned.

Like everyone, I hope Hecky knows what he's doing and I hope that it's appropriate for this league. I hope he's successful at doing it and, of course, I hope the season is a good one.

But as always, prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Alfiembra
02-08-2019, 10:06 AM
I'm usually optimistic before the season starts but not quite there yet this year. I suspect if we don't get a couple more new recruits and we don't start scoring earlier in games then it'll be a struggle and 5th/6th are my best guess at the moment. Dark horses for me are Motherwell, think they may be pushing for 4th spot.

Real Emerald
02-08-2019, 10:08 AM
I only gave it a 4, would have been higher before Boyle's injury but until we get a replacement coupled with what I think is a weak thin squad I'm not confident. The new signings have yet to convince me so my expectations may rise if they prove to be good but I have my doubts. Really happy to be proved wrong and will go along tomorrow full of hope as usual.

Smartie
02-08-2019, 10:18 AM
I went for a lofty 8.

Our first XI will be very strong, but I think we are still a bit vulnerable to injury. If Vela, Allan, Flo, or Horgan were to get injured then I think we'd be in bother.

Lucky with injuries - 8. Unlucky with injuries - no more than 5 or 6.

Unless we bring in a few reinforcements.

Swedish hibee
02-08-2019, 10:19 AM
Yes. Absolutely.

Northernhibee
02-08-2019, 10:32 AM
What I'm pleased with is that we have no "odd" signings. Islam Feruz was an odd signing, so was Whittaker on a 3yr deal, so was Brian Graham, so was Mavrias and Nelom.

All of our signings provide a bit more depth and balance and I'm happy with that.

Unseen work
02-08-2019, 10:35 AM
Have the players and look of a good team, or did before Boyle got injured.

Now we need another 2 wingers, central midfielder and striker imo.

Horgan and Newel are the only wingers with the latter not being an out and out one. I think especially with Boyle being injured now we lack pace, energy and a directness. I still wanted another wide option before he was injured as I think that’s handy to have and have coming off the bench or to rotate.

Centre mid I think we’re very reliant on Vela hitting the ground running (which he seems to have done) and stay injury free. I also think it’s important having another Bartley type player we can bring on to see a game out.

Up top I’m confident Flo and Doidge will score goals, but I think we miss someone who can create something out of nothing up top.

Still a bit to go but I’m confident we will do well.

How we ended the season under Heckingbottom with limited options, no confidence and no balance has gave me a lot of optimism.

hibby6270
02-08-2019, 10:47 AM
57 years of supporting Hibs leads me to never be over confident of our prospects for the season ahead.
We’ll probably get off to our customary good start for first dozen or so games. Then hit our customary “bad patch” and either pick up again, or as is historically customary, limp along until the end of the season, full of hope in making top 6 and possibly scraping a European spot by finishing 3rd or 4th.

Would I want it any other way? Of course I would. And if by miracle chance we seriously contend for the league title, you’d have to pinch me to confirm I’m not dreaming.

But I’m a realist and more importantly a died in the wool Hibby. What will be, will be. I’ll still attend games. I’ll still continue to renew my ST. I’ll still support Hibs for ever more!! GGTTH

P.S. - apologies for the over use of the word ‘customary’!! :wink::greengrin

Oscar T Grouch
02-08-2019, 10:59 AM
Pretty confident we will have a good season. We have a good squad but maybe lacking a bit of depth. I am sure we will be fighting for 3rd/4th this season. I think Ross County will be the surprise team of the season. The huns and celtc will battle it out for top 2 spots, Aberdeen have made some good signings but there were cracks showing last season, hopefully we can exploit them and squeeze into 3rd spot. Killie will struggle, they have shown that in their Euro games. Motherwell I am not sure about, everyone and their dug seems to think they will be very good this season, I don't see it myself, I think they will probably just make the top 6, they lacked consistency last season and I do not see what has changed. Hamilton will get relegated. St Mirren will be in the play off.

WeeRussell
02-08-2019, 11:21 AM
I'm mildly optimistic rather than confident. And like one or two posters before - think it could go either way (tomorrow may in fact be a huge game in getting all on side and telling in terms of where we actually are).

On what little I've seen so far I'm still to be totally convinced we're a very good side or improved on last season.

With Scott Allan there's always hope :agree:

Regardless... bring it f***** on :flag:

Torto7
02-08-2019, 11:29 AM
I'm always optimistic at the start of the year.

The only area of real concern for me is if Vela goes down injured. We still look short of that type of CM imo.

Another Striker and winger wouldn't go amiss either.

I think we'll get 3rd.

Here’s Lucy!
02-08-2019, 11:33 AM

:greengrin

Anyone who who wanted to vote for 2 or 5 will be sadly disappointed!

I’ve gone with 4.

One or or two more newcomers and I’m a 7.

Bob1875
02-08-2019, 11:36 AM
Honestly no, I think players like Newell and Doidge won’t cut it for a top 4 finish.

ian cruise
02-08-2019, 11:49 AM
Think we'll be top 4 abd at least one good cup run. Think we'll also have a good few performances that really get people talking (in a good way). Feeling very positive about the new season. Hope the academy players who are being given a chance step up and are good enough for first team places.

Smartie
02-08-2019, 11:53 AM
Honestly no, I think players like Newell and Doidge won’t cut it for a top 4 finish.

It's a given that some of the lower league signings will fare better than others. If Newell doesn't cut it then it gives Fraser Murray an opportunity, and he looks like he is ready to make the breakthrough. Doidge doesn't get a game if Flo does the business, so I'm quite relaxed about those 2.

The Scott Allan factor is huge. We all know how good he is, and I think he's champing at the bit to make a serious impact. We've got potentially one of the best players in the league here, so instead of focussing on who might not cut it, it might be worth having a wee think about who might actually be a roaring success. Marciano is one of the best if not the best goalkeeper in Scotland, Jackson looks like he has everything required to be excellent in this league, Flo is looking more like his old self and will appreciate Allan being back, then we have the trusty old warhorses like McGregor, Hanlon, Gray and Stevenson who are proven to be amongst the best players in their position for this league.

lord bunberry
02-08-2019, 12:04 PM
Followed Hibs for too long to have high expectations. Just hope for the best and expect the worst.
That’s very true. :greengrin

WhileTheChief..
02-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Similar to last season, probably fighting it out for 5th or 6th place in the league.

I know I’m in the minority here but I’m not convinced by Heckingbottom at all and I’ve not seen enough of the new players to know if they’ll be any good.

Sorry.

theonlywayisup
02-08-2019, 05:14 PM
Good to see that we've more "happy clappers" than "bed wetters"; maybe that'll change when people get home from work.

The Scottish Premiership is about to commence - let's hope that it is going to be a good one for the Hibees.

:flag::flag::flag:

Steve20
02-08-2019, 05:17 PM
Another couple of attacking signings to go into the team and we will be in challenging for top 4.

Squad at the moment will be 5th or 6th.

Onion
02-08-2019, 05:23 PM
Apart from Celtic, Huns and Aberdeen, very tough to predict the rest as the SPL is not played out on paper. Hibs appears to have a decent squad (with holes) and a decent manager but we've seen much lesser sides such as Mothers, Killie, St J and Livi all exceeding expectations in recent years. All the clubs outwith the top 3 think they've a shot at top 6 and Europe.

jacomo
02-08-2019, 05:32 PM
It's a given that some of the lower league signings will fare better than others. If Newell doesn't cut it then it gives Fraser Murray an opportunity, and he looks like he is ready to make the breakthrough. Doidge doesn't get a game if Flo does the business, so I'm quite relaxed about those 2.

The Scott Allan factor is huge. We all know how good he is, and I think he's champing at the bit to make a serious impact. We've got potentially one of the best players in the league here, so instead of focussing on who might not cut it, it might be worth having a wee think about who might actually be a roaring success. Marciano is one of the best if not the best goalkeeper in Scotland, Jackson looks like he has everything required to be excellent in this league, Flo is looking more like his old self and will appreciate Allan being back, then we have the trusty old warhorses like McGregor, Hanlon, Gray and Stevenson who are proven to be amongst the best players in their position for this league.

:agree:

If Scotty hadn’t played for us before, a few people would be moaning about him because he’s probably had the quietest pre-season.

All the new boys look decent or promising - for some reason, some folk seem determined to be negative.

02-08-2019, 05:41 PM
:agree:

If Scotty hadn’t played for us before, a few people would be moaning about him because he’s probably had the quietest pre-season.

All the new boys look decent or promising - for some reason, some folk seem determined to be negative.

On the whole, the most vocal fans are the least knowledgable

TrinityHibs
02-08-2019, 05:55 PM
Every season is a good season following Hibs. So I am very confident it will be a good season

JohnMcM
02-08-2019, 06:16 PM
Had this poll happened before Squirrel got broken and we knew for sure SDG and Lewis were starting at get go, my score would have been 7, maybe 8, as it is I plumped for 6.

I hope I'm wrong and things turn out that I should have gone for 8.

:flag:

Eyrie
02-08-2019, 06:58 PM
It's the start of the season tomorrow, so I'm full of optimism and voted 7.

You would think I'd have learned my lesson after all these decades but no :faf:

Smartie
02-08-2019, 07:06 PM
Every season is a good season following Hibs. So I am very confident it will be a good season

stoneyburn hibs
02-08-2019, 07:14 PM

You bad man 😁

I'm going for us to finish no worse than last season. 3rd or 4th would be excellent and not really out of our reach.

Less volatility will go a long way.

Fergos
02-08-2019, 07:19 PM
With a couple of more quality signings (Boyle injury etc) we will have a good season.

Where I’m at, 2 more decent signings, a winger and a midfielder and we can improve on 5th. Would have to be potential starters quality and not squad filler standard.

GGTTH

twiceinathens
02-08-2019, 09:05 PM
What for us is a good season? Just as a matter of interest our league record since the abolition of the old first division 44 years ago and creation of the Premier League in various formats the stats show the following.

Years in Premier League 39
Years in championship equivalent 5
Relegated 3 times
Highest Position 3rd (on four occasions)
Average position 6th

Realistically I feel a "good"season would see us in long term contention for a European place. This means either winning the Scottish Cup, finishing third, or hoping that the League championship winners also win the cup and we finish fourth.
I rated this as 6.

Shields Hibee
02-08-2019, 10:10 PM
To me finishing 4th and good cup runs with maybe a trophy in the cabinet would be a successful season.

Scott Allan’s return will be one to watch. He’s got the ability and he will want to make an impact from the off. Still like to see a few more come through the door, especially in the goal scoring area.

Fingers crossed we get off to a good start. I’m going 2-0 to us.

heretoday
02-08-2019, 10:26 PM
I imagine we'll finish top six again but with no trophies. We'll win and lose to Hearts and we'll beat the OF once or twice.

jingler1954
02-08-2019, 10:47 PM
I’m a 9 we will be challenging at the very top this season. We will take points off the OF Aberdeen and hearts. I think Kilmarnock will be bottom 6 St J are going backwards Ross County will be top of bottom 6 Motherwell top 6. Thats all.

theonlywayisup
03-08-2019, 07:00 AM
What for us is a good season? Just as a matter of interest our league record since the abolition of the old first division 44 years ago and creation of the Premier League in various formats the stats show the following.

Years in Premier League 39
Years in championship equivalent 5
Relegated 3 times
Highest Position 3rd (on four occasions)
Average position 6th

Realistically I feel a "good"season would see us in long term contention for a European place. This means either winning the Scottish Cup, finishing third, or hoping that the League championship winners also win the cup and we finish fourth.
I rated this as 6.

That's an interesting piece of research.

I assume that Celtic, The Rangers, Aberdeen and Hertz will be consistently above. Which other team has a higher average placing. I assume it's either Dundee United or possibly Motherwell.

Keith_M
03-08-2019, 07:15 AM
We have a load of new players, none of whom I know much about, so I have no idea.

The games I have seen before now haven't exactly got me excited, but they've been friendlies and league cup group games.

In light of this, I predict we'll finish somewhere between 2nd and 11th.

Todi114
03-08-2019, 07:28 AM
Just delighted football is back
after we have played everyone is the time to judge how this season will go
cups depend on a good draw
hearts made it to hampden without beating a top team

Ronniekirk
03-08-2019, 07:43 AM
First game today so will get a better idea St Mirren are rank rotten so we should beat them convincingly
Still think we need another three players in and don’t think we will get a replacement for Boyle that will be as effective but will wait and see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theonlywayisup
03-08-2019, 11:03 AM
Three hours til league season starts - still time to post your vote.

theonlywayisup
04-08-2019, 06:14 AM
Poll will close in an hour's time.

Wonder if those scoring 6 and above are as confident after yesterday's game.

As many have said, yesterday we could have scored four goals or more. We could also have conceded a few goals, and will do against better teams playing like that.

Crunchie
04-08-2019, 06:24 AM
I went for a lofty 8.

Our first XI will be very strong, but I think we are still a bit vulnerable to injury. If Vela, Allan, Flo, or Horgan were to get injured then I think we'd be in bother.

Lucky with injuries - 8. Unlucky with injuries - no more than 5 or 6.

Unless we bring in a few reinforcements.

I gave 8 as well, albeit after yesterdays game. I think I saw enough in the second half to make me confident enough.

Once the newbies gel we'll do alright.