PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Fulton on Open Goal

KWJ
31-07-2019, 08:34 PM
Watching this the now, he's no looking any better.

Interesting insight but mostly I was surprised and a bit disappointed for him that he works as a labourer these days.

He was a decent player that you'd think could've been set for life. Could've been other factors of course but I'd have thought there was good money kicking about during his time, especially for a player like him. Would put him up against a Pat McGinley for us who I'd hope is able to put his feet up and look back with pride these days.

Shows how much a testimonial can mean for a player.

https://youtu.be/mtBvWAlmN-Y

So it does.

Gaffer1875
31-07-2019, 08:39 PM
I was surprised he said when moving from
Celtic to Hearts that they were known as the wee rangers, what honesty!

Do you know what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KWJ
31-07-2019, 08:41 PM

Do you know what I mean.

Jeez he's just gone on his "you know what I mean" spree, so he hus.

Fife-Hibee
31-07-2019, 08:47 PM

Do you know what I mean.

That surprised me as well.

Were?

jacomo
31-07-2019, 08:48 PM

Interesting insight but mostly I was surprised and a bit disappointed for him that he works as a labourer these days.

He was a decent player that you'd think could've been set for life. Could've been other factors of course but I'd have thought there was good money kicking about during his time, especially for a player like him. Would put him up against a Pat McGinley for us who I'd hope is able to put his feet up and look back with pride these days.

So it does.

Unfortunately plenty of players receive little education outside training, so leaves them poorly equipped for life after they hang up their boots.

If they can afford it, they can hire advisors to help them manage their wealth for the long term. Or do a Garry O’Connor.

Here’s Lucy!
31-07-2019, 09:51 PM
Boy’s mockett.

BILLYHIBS
31-07-2019, 09:52 PM
Stevie....Did you really get booked for being ugly?

Ha Ha...but it was barry crack though eh!

What was Craig Levein like?.....Did he show you his medals?

What about the time he knocked oot big Hoggy ?

Ah brilliant crack though.....

Who was the Italian player Davey Hay said you were better than?

........Brilliant!

Itsnoteasy
31-07-2019, 10:12 PM
Unfortunately plenty of players receive little education outside training, so leaves them poorly equipped for life after they hang up their boots.

If they can afford it, they can hire advisors to help them manage their wealth for the long term. Or do a Garry O’Connor.

And what education does the average school leaver/ worker get at the end of a shift.

Its called common sense.

1875STEVE
31-07-2019, 10:18 PM
no whit i mean, so we did.....

Since452
01-08-2019, 06:30 AM

So it does.

Something telling me Pat McGinley is a taxi driver now. Don't think the money was that life changing back then. Agree though. Fulton was a very decent player.

*just read he has a cleaning business

DetroitHibs
01-08-2019, 06:40 AM
One thing all the ex pros mention was the upbringing. The rolockings, cleaning boots and the general upbringing back then. Every single one mentions how it made them the players they became.

calumhibee1
01-08-2019, 06:54 AM
One thing all the ex pros mention was the upbringing. The rolockings, cleaning boots and the general upbringing back then. Every single one mentions how it made them the players they became.

Nostalgic old men.

It hasn’t done Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe etc any harm not being part of the boot cleaning generation. Scottish football is just lower down the pecking order now than it was 20 years ago and that’s not because you don’t clean boots and sweep the stands at 15 year old anymore.

allezsauzee
01-08-2019, 06:57 AM
Something telling me Pat McGinley is a taxi driver now. Don't think the money was that life changing back then. Agree though. Fulton was a very decent player.

*just read he has a cleaning business

Don't think the money is life changing for the vast majority of Scottish footballers even nowadays to be honest. Hibs players will get decent money compared to your average punter but hardly enough to set them up for life. If they fall into the trap of spending a chunk of it on flash motors and Saturday nights in George Street clubs then they'll retire from football no better off than your average punter.

hibee316
01-08-2019, 07:14 AM
Every single one

I love a good .net fact.

SquashedFrogg
01-08-2019, 07:26 AM
And what education does the average school leaver/ worker get at the end of a shift.

Its called common sense.

The average workers' shift isn't a couple of hours a day and see them retire in their thirties. It's a little more than common sense that's required. There's also plenty of opportunities these days for school leavers to gain more education.

DetroitHibs
01-08-2019, 07:31 AM
Nostalgic old men.

It hasn’t done Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe etc any harm not being part of the boot cleaning generation. Scottish football is just lower down the pecking order now than it was 20 years ago and that’s not because you don’t clean boots and sweep the stands at 15 year old anymore.

The national team was much better 20-30 years ago.

calumhibee1
01-08-2019, 07:43 AM
The national team was much better 20-30 years ago.

Yup. But it was nothing to do with cleaning boots when they were laddies. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think it’s a bad idea. But it doesn’t change your ability as a footballer.

DetroitHibs
01-08-2019, 07:50 AM
Yup. But it was nothing to do with cleaning boots when they were laddies. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think it’s a bad idea. But it doesn’t change your ability as a footballer.

Hard to say. Sometimes I look at players like Harris, Shaw and Stanton and think having it a bit tougher might have helped there careers. Really can’t say. The old pros think that it helped them and was a good thing. I just notice that most his guests come on and say that about coming through as a youngster.

MWHIBBIES
01-08-2019, 08:07 AM
Hard to say. Sometimes I look at players like Harris, Shaw and Stanton and think having it a bit tougher might have helped there careers. Really can’t say. The old pros think that it helped them and was a good thing. I just notice that most his guests come on and say that about coming through as a youngster.

I don't think Alex Harris could possibly have had it any tougher. Dad passed, horrible injury, bullied by Butcher.

I'm quite happy for this club to treat young players like human beings, let them flourish, rather than caveman stuff and giving them a hard time.

Shaw will do well in his career, Hibs or not.

Centre Hawf
01-08-2019, 11:41 AM
I don't think Alex Harris could possibly have had it any tougher. Dad passed, horrible injury, bullied by Butcher.

I'm quite happy for this club to treat young players like human beings, let them flourish, rather than caveman stuff and giving them a hard time.

Shaw will do well in his career, Hibs or not.

Agreed, whenever I hear about people embracing the old ways of near enough bullying young men it makes me cringe.

The world doesn't work that way and neither should Football.

lord bunberry
01-08-2019, 12:46 PM
The average workers' shift isn't a couple of hours a day and see them retire in their thirties. It's a little more than common sense that's required. There's also plenty of opportunities these days for school leavers to gain more education.
They’re also not thrown into the media glare and given thousands of pounds a week.

lyonhibs
01-08-2019, 01:36 PM

So it does.

I'd be highly surprised if any Hearts/Hibs player from the mid 80's to mid 90's made enough dosh to currently be sitting with their feet up leading a life of leisure unless they were very, very savvy with their investments

EI255
01-08-2019, 02:02 PM
Forgotten all about the wasp chewer

Stevie Reid
01-08-2019, 02:09 PM
To give Fulton his due, he always took the 'ugly' banter (including the infamous chant after he was booked, which was ridiculous) in very good humour.

Hard to imagine that these days, given the antics of both fans in recent games.

Smartie
01-08-2019, 02:13 PM
To give Fulton his due, he always took the 'ugly' banter (including the infamous chant after he was booked, which was ridiculous) in very good humour.

Hard to imagine that these days, given the antics of both fans in recent games.

He mentions that the Hibs fans hated him and gave him dogs abuse.

I really enjoyed the interview and tbh mainly due to the fact that he did take the abuse in such good humour, I've always had a wee bit of a soft spot for him and I'd be surprised if I was alone.

Very good player in his day too.

Stevie Reid
01-08-2019, 02:26 PM
He mentions that the Hibs fans hated him and gave him dogs abuse.

I really enjoyed the interview and tbh mainly due to the fact that he did take the abuse in such good humour, I've always had a wee bit of a soft spot for him and I'd be surprised if I was alone.

Very good player in his day too.

He was, and he hurt us a few times over his career. Haven't watched the interview so was commenting purely from my own experiences of watching him in derby matches.

The one that he scored two in the first ten minutes in, when we were absolutely awful and heading for relegation under Duffy, is the most uncomfortable I've ever felt watching a game (at that point) - I really thought they were gonna match the 7-0 at that point. The fact that we battled back for a very unlikely draw probably hurt us ultimately, as it kept Duffy in a job for a bit longer. But it was a huge relief on the day.

KWJ
01-08-2019, 05:04 PM
Don't think the money is life changing for the vast majority of Scottish footballers even nowadays to be honest. Hibs players will get decent money compared to your average punter but hardly enough to set them up for life. If they fall into the trap of spending a chunk of it on flash motors and Saturday nights in George Street clubs then they'll retire from football no better off than your average punter.

I'd think Pat McGinley would be earned more for over his career than say Lewis Stevenson.

Could be wrong but teams were signing folk for 6 figures regularly back then so the wages shouldve reflected that.

Bosman maybe changed this. Players will receive more support from PFA now too you'd hope.

KWJ
01-08-2019, 05:06 PM
Maybe pat a bit early, someone like Stevie Crawford, Ian Murray, Robbie Winters or Eoin Jess. A good Scottish top flight player.

heidtheba
01-08-2019, 06:20 PM
I've told this story a couple of times on this site but Steve Fulton was an absolute diamond of a guy when I met him.
I'm a teacher and took my class down to Tynecastle for something back in 98. We weren't there to meet the players, but we saw them leave the changing room as we were being shown around. A few, David Weir etc were more than a little arrogant towards a bunch of kids, many of whom were Hearts fans and were saying 'hi' to their heroes. Fulton came out of the changing room, saw us, came back up to us and signed things for every child (and dad helper) who wanted something signed.
It was a small act but he spoke nicely to the kids, and smiled at me when a few of them grassed me up for being a Hibs season ticket holder. He encouraged the kids and was as far removed from being a 'billy big time' as you could get.
Total gent.

Here’s Lucy!
01-08-2019, 06:25 PM
forgotten all about the wasp chewer

lol

Sammy7nil
01-08-2019, 06:26 PM
I'd be highly surprised if any Hearts/Hibs player from the mid 80's to mid 90's made enough dosh to currently be sitting with their feet up leading a life of leisure unless they were very, very savvy with their investments

John Collins

Sammy7nil
01-08-2019, 06:30 PM
I've told this story a couple of times on this site but Steve Fulton was an absolute diamond of a guy when I met him.
I'm a teacher and took my class down to Tynecastle for something back in 98. We weren't there to meet the players, but we saw them leave the changing room as we were being shown around. A few, David Weir etc were more than a little arrogant towards a bunch of kids, many of whom were Hearts fans and were saying 'hi' to their heroes. Fulton came out of the changing room, saw us, came back up to us and signed things for every child (and dad helper) who wanted something signed.
It was a small act but he spoke nicely to the kids, and smiled at me when a few of them grassed me up for being a Hibs season ticket holder. He encouraged the kids and was as far removed from being a 'billy big time' as you could get.
Total gent.

Always nice to hear :aok:

Crazyhorse
01-08-2019, 06:35 PM

It’s a good question. I would think of that mid90s Hibs team only Michael O’Neill and maybe Darren Jackson could have retired on their football earnings.

Allant1981
01-08-2019, 06:46 PM
John Collins

Made his money after hibs though

Iggy Pope
01-08-2019, 06:51 PM
John Collins

Kano....

PercyHibs
01-08-2019, 06:56 PM
Thought he came across as a really good guy. F****** Horrible looking, but a good guy

brianmc
01-08-2019, 07:03 PM
It’s a good question. I would think of that mid90s Hibs team only Michael O’Neill and maybe Darren Jackson could have retired on their football earnings.

The same Darren Jackson who was in the papers today announcing he's become an Executive Chauffeur to the "stars" of Scottish football (*Private Hire Driver in a suit)?

Sammy7nil
01-08-2019, 07:09 PM
Made his money after hibs though

So did Darren Jackson and Michael O'Neill

Hibs have NEVER imho paid anyone enough in their time solely at Hibs to then retire.

Sammy7nil
01-08-2019, 07:10 PM
Kano....

Kano still works

Just Jimmy
01-08-2019, 07:19 PM

Hibs have NEVER imho paid anyone enough in their time solely at Hibs to then retire.4k a week for 10 years is a little over 2million quid. if you're not stupid and you invest well you could retired on that at 33. especially if you stay in the game at a level of coaching etc.

I'm not suggesting you're wrong as it's not many who have made that money for that long from Hibs.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

lyonhibs
01-08-2019, 07:26 PM
John Collins

To clarify, I meant the money they made whilst at Hibs/Hearts.

Dalianwanda
01-08-2019, 07:38 PM
Didn’t hear the broadcast but **** me what’s with all the slagging of a guy who doesn’t speak with plumbs in his mouth. Good player, took the banter well & was respectful to the kids.....role model for sure.

Sammy7nil
01-08-2019, 08:01 PM
4k a week for 10 years is a little over 2million quid. if you're not stupid and you invest well you could retired on that at 33. especially if you stay in the game at a level of coaching etc.

I'm not suggesting you're wrong as it's not many who have made that money for that long from Hibs.

Who got £4k a week for ten years ?

They other problem which am I sure we all know your life style is dictated by your income. If you earn £4k a week you ain't shopping at ASDA and holidaying in Benidorm :greengrin

jacomo
01-08-2019, 08:10 PM
John Collins

Indeed although he made most of his money at Celtc and Monaco.

James310
01-08-2019, 08:21 PM

Probably made a mint at Everton and Fulham in the EPL.

erin go bragh
01-08-2019, 08:56 PM

First ever player to leave a club (Celtic) on a Bozman free transfer to Monaco and probably made more money with his signing on fee than he earned with us .

Danderhall Hibs
01-08-2019, 09:07 PM
4k a week for 10 years is a little over 2million quid. if you're not stupid and you invest well you could retired on that at 33. especially if you stay in the game at a level of coaching etc.

No you couldn’t - say you saved half of it - that’d be £20k a year if you assumed you had 50 years left.

Sammy7nil
01-08-2019, 09:30 PM
No you couldn’t - say you saved half of it - that’d be £20k a year if you assumed you had 50 years left.

If you assume they kept the money in a shoe box under their bed :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
01-08-2019, 09:31 PM
If you assume they kept the money in a shoe box under their bed :wink:

I factored in a market crash every 20 years on my cash flow model mate :wink:

JimBHibees
02-08-2019, 06:07 AM
Total gent.

That sort of thing is always good to hear and shows the real person. Footballers should realise that to the young fan they are adored though the way some act they dont really deserve the adoration while others definitely do. Can remember a mate of mine who knew a kid who was the signed at youth level for Motherwell. The kid was a total bluenose and detested Celtic and particularly Neil Lennon. Youth players had ball ball duties and they were lining up for a game v Celtic and said that out of all the teams Neil Lennon was by far the person who took a bit of time to talk to the young players and couldnt have been more of a gent. Makes a huge difference IMO.

Centre Hawf
02-08-2019, 07:03 AM
Total gent.

I'll Echo this. Not that long after the 6-2 game he took time to come to my Class and speak to us and do a Q+A with us. We must have been about 8 at the time and of course someone asked "What was it like getting beat 6-2 of Hibs" he laughed and took it well.

Frazerbob
02-08-2019, 02:27 PM
I had to turn off after 15 minutes. His ‘so we did’ & ‘know what I mean’ Tourettes did my nut in.

Here’s Lucy!
02-08-2019, 02:52 PM
I had to turn off after 15 minutes. His ‘so we did’ & ‘know what I mean’ Tourettes did my nut in.

I take your point, and am sure you are just being light, but Tourettes is hardly a laughing matter.

Frazerbob
02-08-2019, 02:53 PM
I take your point, and am sure you are just being light, but Tourettes is hardly a laughing matter.

Wow

Danderhall Hibs
02-08-2019, 05:57 PM

Can I recommend the bbc classic “John’s not mad” to you? Parts 1&3 are the best.

HibbyAndy
02-08-2019, 06:03 PM
The best open goal interview i have watched is Gary Naysmith

Not sounding like a ned and is brutally honest , Tells it how it is , Also a Loanhead boy like myself , Decent interview Gary :aok:

P.s you're right about the 1998 cup final when Ally Mcoist should have had a penalty !

The Stevie Fulton i couldn't watch anymore than 10 minutes 'So it was ' CRINGE

Here’s Lucy!
02-08-2019, 06:14 PM
Can I recommend the bbc classic “John’s not mad” to you? Parts 1&3 are the best.

Of course you may. :aok:

I’ll try to give it a whirl.

Liam6270
02-08-2019, 10:08 PM

Chopper dyes his pubes ginger!

MikeyS
02-08-2019, 10:16 PM

"Your dug's got tits"

JimBHibees
03-08-2019, 08:50 AM
The best open goal interview i have watched is Gary Naysmith

Not sounding like a ned and is brutally honest , Tells it how it is , Also a Loanhead boy like myself , Decent interview Gary :aok:

P.s you're right about the 1998 cup final when Ally Mcoist should have had a penalty !

The Stevie Fulton i couldn't watch anymore than 10 minutes 'So it was ' CRINGE

Just watched the Gary Naismith one agree a really good listen. Enthusiastic and smart guy came over very well. Very down to earth too.

Just Jimmy
03-08-2019, 08:53 AM

BoomtownHibees
03-08-2019, 09:03 AM

Good point

southsider
03-08-2019, 09:04 AM

Hibs have NEVER imho paid anyone enough in their time solely at Hibs to then retire.
The ex Hibs players I became pals with from the late 70/early 80's earned roughly 4 times what a, say, a tradesman did. Its about the same ratio now for guys in Hibs first team. But they get win bonuses etc. When Tom Hart was Chairman he regularly came into the changing room before a hertz game and say 'Right lads you're on £200 a man to beat this mob.'