PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Newcastle 30 07 19)

Jonnyboy
30-07-2019, 10:50 PM
The final warm up match prior to the commencement of league business against St. Mirren on Saturday saw English Premiership side Newcastle bring a very strong squad to Easter Road and it was the visitors who triumphed with a comfortable 3-1 win in front of a more than decent crowd including an impressive travelling support. It was a good workout for both sides but the gulf in quality was always apparent. Newcastle, who had their new £40m signing Joelinton leading the line, recovered from going a goal down to pretty much dominate the rest of the game. Just think about that for a moment – a signing that cost millions more than our whole club is worth and it was no surprise that he had an outstanding seventy minutes against a defence that struggled with his pace and movement.

The usual guessing game precluded announcement of the teams and Hibs fielded a starting eleven with a hatful of changes from that which started at Borough Briggs last time out. It was a first start for Slivka, newly recovered from injury whilst Scotty Allan and Josh Vela were amongst a host of substitutes on the bench. Newcastle fielded a very strong starting eleven and were soon on the front foot with both Hanlon and McGregor making last ditch challenges to deny Joelinton. For their part, Hibs played some decent stuff with Kamberi and Shaw linking well and it was Kamberi that provided the opening for Mallan to fire home around the ten minute mark. The build-up was good with Mackie and Newell making ground on the left. A cross was fired to the back post where Kamberi rose to head down and as the ball took a kind deflection off a defender, Mallan struck a left foot shot past Darlow in the Newcastle goal.

With Jonjo Shelvey pulling the strings in midfield, Newcastle were soon back on the attack and it didn’t take them long to equalise. Shelvey found Manquillo on the right and with Sean Mackie, who had a torrid night, caught out of position the ball was squared to Joelinton who shot home from close range. To their credit, Hibs tried to respond and clever play from Slivka saw Kamberi release Fraser Murray but the youngsters cross was easily mopped up before Newell saw an effort deflected over the bar.

At the other end, Rocky had two fine saves when a deflected shot hit Hanlon and was heading for the goal until Rocky dived to save and then when Manquillo was through one on one, he saved with his right leg at the expense of a corner.

The visitors were stronger and faster both physically and in speed of thought and for a while Hibs were chasing shadows. It was no real surprise then when they took the lead about ten minutes from the break. A ball had been delivered into the box and was only partially cleared allowing Longstaff to bullet a shot home through a tangle of legs and bodies. It was a sweet strike but disappointing that nobody had come out to close the lad down.

The second half started with Hecky having made seven substitutions whilst Steve Bruce went with the men that had finished the first half. They’d lost Matt Ritchie to injury after around ten minutes of the first half but had an able replacement in Rolando Aarons. The Newcastle man had faced Tom James in the first half with the Hibs man holding up well against him but now found himself up against Steven Whittaker who struggled at times with the pace and quick feet of the attacker.

Around the hour mark Joelinton should have punished Hibs when he raced clear but with substitute keeper Chris Maxwell closing him down he made a hash of things and the chance was gone. Whitty then saw an effort deflected wide for a corner but Hibs were offering little threat to the home defence. On 65 minutes there was a huge roar from the home support when Ryan Porteous replaced Daz in the centre of defence. After a lengthy injury absence he was a welcome sight back in the green and white.

It was Porteous who might have unwittingly helped Newcastle to score a third with about twenty minutes left. As he followed his man out to a wide right position in defending an over hit corner, a gap was left in the centre and when the cross came in from the left, Lascelles rose unchallenged to head past Maxwell. A few minutes later, Fraser Murray sent Oli Shaw clear on the right and the youngsters firm shot forced Darlow to dive full length and deflect the ball around the post for a corner.

The visitors were pretty much cruising towards the final whistle as Hibs found it difficult to retain any meaningful possession. Indeed the last chance of the game fell to Newcastle when a netbound header from Fernandez was headed off the line by Jamie Gullan. Spare a thought for young Josh Doig who came on to replace Mackie and was just in time to hear the final whistle.

The players

Rocky – Two wonderful first half saves kept the score down and he had no chance with either goal.

Tom – Faced both Matt Ritchie and Rolando Aarons for the first 45 minutes and I thought he did pretty well against them both.

Daz – I love the big fella but he struggled on the ground tonight against Joelinton. No shame in that given the strikers price tag.

Paul – At times, just like his team mates, he was chasing shadows.

Sean – I’m afraid to say that young Sean was very poor tonight, caught out of position too often and guilty of ball watching at times.

Viki – It was good to see him back and I thought he looked quite sharp.

Stevie – Struggled against Shelvey who simply sits in midfield, Scott Brown like and links everything together.

Fraser – I’m always impressed by Fraser and I was again tonight. One pass in particular stays in my mind when he threaded the ball beyond the full back for Oli to break free. It’s interesting that Fraser survived the half time ‘cull’ so he was clearly doing something right.

Joe – Once again he showed up well in patches and if he keeps developing those patches into longer ones he’ll do just fine.

Flo – I thought he was right up for it tonight, perhaps hoping to impress Steve Bruce although I’m not sure he’d displace Joelinton in the Newcastle attack!

Oli – Once again things just didn’t go quite right for the laddie and it’s a shame that there seems to be a growing audible gasp when he doesn’t quite get things right.

Chris – The visitors had lots of possession but Maxwell looked good under pressure, took crosses out of the air and was very vocal. I wonder if he heard the Newcastle fans singing “Are you a man or a woman” thanks to his man bun!

Whitty – Given a bit of a torrid time by his opposite number and might have done better at the third goal as he was out of position, causing Ryan to have to cover.

Adam – I thought Porteous had knocked him out when clearing a ball that flew at rocket speed towards Jackson’s head. As I’ve said before, I think he’s a decent centre half.

Ryan – Brilliant to see the laddie back but he’ll need more minutes on the park to regain his sharpness of movement and thought.

Daryl – Sad to say that he was pretty much anonymous for the 45 minutes he played.

Scotty – Not as influential as I’d have liked him to be but I enjoyed his wee tit for tat with Shelvey.

Josh V – Does the simple things really well and I reckon he’s going to be a big player for us in the months ahead.

Doidge – Apart from a bizarre decision to try and punch the ball into the net he didn’t really get much of a chance to shine.

Hammer – A fantastic headed clearance off his own goal line was his highlight but given the chance I’m sure he could become a regular first team squad member.

Josh C – Got little time to do much of anything although there’s certainly nothing wrong with his willingness and work rate.

Josh D – Poor laddie got all of thirty seconds.

Hecky – Knows now that the squad rotation needs to ease off considerably as the real stuff starts on Saturday.

The fans – I was pleasantly surprised at the number of Hibs fans tonight as I honestly thought we’d struggle to reach 5,000. The Newcastle fans were noisy and supportive although I never had them down as Geordie Huns!

John Beaton – An easy game for him to referee but he still managed a couple of truly baffling decisions.

04Sauzee
30-07-2019, 10:56 PM
Thought Allan was fantastic 2nd half, thought Mallan had a very decent 1st half, I also thought Mackie done more than OK. Horgan didn't have the greatest off games but what I love about him is he never does hiding

vuefrom1875
30-07-2019, 11:11 PM
The final warm up match prior to the commencement of league business against St. Mirren on Saturday saw English Premiership side Newcastle bring a very strong squad to Easter Road and it was the visitors who triumphed with a comfortable 3-1 win in front of a more than decent crowd including an impressive travelling support. It was a good workout for both sides but the gulf in quality was always apparent. Newcastle, who had their new £40m signing Joelinton leading the line, recovered from going a goal down to pretty much dominate the rest of the game. Just think about that for a moment – a signing that cost millions more than our whole club is worth and it was no surprise that he had an outstanding seventy minutes against a defence that struggled with his pace and movement.

The usual guessing game precluded announcement of the teams and Hibs fielded a starting eleven with a hatful of changes from that which started at Borough Briggs last time out. It was a first start for Slivka, newly recovered from injury whilst Scotty Allan and Josh Vela were amongst a host of substitutes on the bench. Newcastle fielded a very strong starting eleven and were soon on the front foot with both Hanlon and McGregor making last ditch challenges to deny Joelinton. For their part, Hibs played some decent stuff with Kamberi and Shaw linking well and it was Kamberi that provided the opening for Mallan to fire home around the ten minute mark. The build-up was good with Mackie and Newell making ground on the left. A cross was fired to the back post where Kamberi rose to head down and as the ball took a kind deflection off a defender, Mallan struck a left foot shot past Darlow in the Newcastle goal.

With Jonjo Shelvey pulling the strings in midfield, Newcastle were soon back on the attack and it didn’t take them long to equalise. Shelvey found Manquillo on the right and with Sean Mackie, who had a torrid night, caught out of position the ball was squared to Joelinton who shot home from close range. To their credit, Hibs tried to respond and clever play from Slivka saw Kamberi release Fraser Murray but the youngsters cross was easily mopped up before Newell saw an effort deflected over the bar.

At the other end, Rocky had two fine saves when a deflected shot hit Hanlon and was heading for the goal until Rocky dived to save and then when Manquillo was through one on one, he saved with his right leg at the expense of a corner.

The visitors were stronger and faster both physically and in speed of thought and for a while Hibs were chasing shadows. It was no real surprise then when they took the lead about ten minutes from the break. A ball had been delivered into the box and was only partially cleared allowing Longstaff to bullet a shot home through a tangle of legs and bodies. It was a sweet strike but disappointing that nobody had come out to close the lad down.

The second half started with Hecky having made seven substitutions whilst Steve Bruce went with the men that had finished the first half. They’d lost Matt Ritchie to injury after around ten minutes of the first half but had an able replacement in Rolando Aarons. The Newcastle man had faced Tom James in the first half with the Hibs man holding up well against him but now found himself up against Steven Whittaker who struggled at times with the pace and quick feet of the attacker.

Around the hour mark Joelinton should have punished Hibs when he raced clear but with substitute keeper Chris Maxwell closing him down he made a hash of things and the chance was gone. Whitty then saw an effort deflected wide for a corner but Hibs were offering little threat to the home defence. On 65 minutes there was a huge roar from the home support when Ryan Porteous replaced Daz in the centre of defence. After a lengthy injury absence he was a welcome sight back in the green and white.

It was Porteous who might have unwittingly helped Newcastle to score a third with about twenty minutes left. As he followed his man out to a wide right position in defending an over hit corner, a gap was left in the centre and when the cross came in from the left, Lascelles rose unchallenged to head past Maxwell. A few minutes later, Fraser Murray sent Oli Shaw clear on the right and the youngsters firm shot forced Darlow to dive full length and deflect the ball around the post for a corner.

The visitors were pretty much cruising towards the final whistle as Hibs found it difficult to retain any meaningful possession. Indeed the last chance of the game fell to Newcastle when a netbound header from Fernandez was headed off the line by Jamie Gullan. Spare a thought for young Josh Doig who came on to replace Mackie and was just in time to hear the final whistle.

The players

Rocky – Two wonderful first half saves kept the score down and he had no chance with either goal.

Tom – Faced both Matt Ritchie and Rolando Aarons for the first 45 minutes and I thought he did pretty well against them both.

Daz – I love the big fella but he struggled on the ground tonight against Joelinton. No shame in that given the strikers price tag.

Paul – At times, just like his team mates, he was chasing shadows.

Sean – I’m afraid to say that young Sean was very poor tonight, caught out of position too often and guilty of ball watching at times.

Viki – It was good to see him back and I thought he looked quite sharp.

Stevie – Struggled against Shelvey who simply sits in midfield, Scott Brown like and links everything together.

Fraser – I’m always impressed by Fraser and I was again tonight. One pass in particular stays in my mind when he threaded the ball beyond the full back for Oli to break free. It’s interesting that Fraser survived the half time ‘cull’ so he was clearly doing something right.

Joe – Once again he showed up well in patches and if he keeps developing those patches into longer ones he’ll do just fine.

Flo – I thought he was right up for it tonight, perhaps hoping to impress Steve Bruce although I’m not sure he’d displace Joelinton in the Newcastle attack!

Oli – Once again things just didn’t go quite right for the laddie and it’s a shame that there seems to be a growing audible gasp when he doesn’t quite get things right.

Chris – The visitors had lots of possession but Maxwell looked good under pressure, took crosses out of the air and was very vocal. I wonder if he heard the Newcastle fans singing “Are you a man or a woman” thanks to his man bun!

Whitty – Given a bit of a torrid time by his opposite number and might have done better at the third goal as he was out of position, causing Ryan to have to cover.

Adam – I thought Porteous had knocked him out when clearing a ball that flew at rocket speed towards Jackson’s head. As I’ve said before, I think he’s a decent centre half.

Ryan – Brilliant to see the laddie back but he’ll need more minutes on the park to regain his sharpness of movement and thought.

Daryl – Sad to say that he was pretty much anonymous for the 45 minutes he played.

Scotty – Not as influential as I’d have liked him to be but I enjoyed his wee tit for tat with Shelvey.

Josh V – Does the simple things really well and I reckon he’s going to be a big player for us in the months ahead.

Doidge – Apart from a bizarre decision to try and punch the ball into the net he didn’t really get much of a chance to shine.

Hammer – A fantastic headed clearance off his own goal line was his highlight but given the chance I’m sure he could become a regular first team squad member.

Josh C – Got little time to do much of anything although there’s certainly nothing wrong with his willingness and work rate.

Josh D – Poor laddie got all of thirty seconds.

Hecky – Knows now that the squad rotation needs to ease off considerably as the real stuff starts on Saturday.

The fans – I was pleasantly surprised at the number of Hibs fans tonight as I honestly thought we’d struggle to reach 5,000. The Newcastle fans were noisy and supportive although I never had them down as Geordie Huns!

John Beaton – An easy game for him to referee but he still managed a couple of truly baffling decisions. Agreed some of the sh##e they were spouting could have been from the west coast huns.

GreenCastle
30-07-2019, 11:13 PM
Fair assessment - Shelvey on his day is unplayable and one of the best passers in England. If Hibs were to play them again he couldn’t be allowed that much space and time on ball.

Newcastle players just looked fitter and stronger all over but someone else posted Hibs looked fitter ?

SRHibs
30-07-2019, 11:32 PM
What were the Newcastle fans singing?

Greencore
30-07-2019, 11:36 PM

Who's that team
God save the queen
Get out of our club

jgl07
30-07-2019, 11:39 PM

Was it something derogatory about Mike Ashley?

NAE NOOKIE
30-07-2019, 11:40 PM
Fair assessment - Shelvey on his day is unplayable and one of the best passers in England. If Hibs were to play them again he couldn’t be allowed that much space and time on ball.

Newcastle players just looked fitter and stronger all over but someone else posted Hibs looked fitter ?

Stronger perhaps, but I wouldn't have said they looked any fitter than us. At their level along with ability you also get players who probably have more athleticism than your bog standard professional player which probably made it look that way.

Sir David Gray
30-07-2019, 11:44 PM
Was it something derogatory about Mike Ashley?

Get out of our club
Get out of our club
You fat cockney *******
Get out of our club

FilipinoHibs
31-07-2019, 12:40 AM
Agreed some of the sh##e they were spouting could have been from the west coast huns.

In the English civil war Newcastle was on the side of the Royalists while Sunderland backed Oliver Cromwell and the citizens army.

Forza Fred
31-07-2019, 01:19 AM
Who's that team
God save the queen
Get out of our club

And one about Tommy Robinson and Ingerlund chants apparently according to a post on their fans forum.

In fairness to them at least one poster decried their behaviour and pointed out that when its just a case of paying at the gate kinda thing the regular Newcastle supporters are unfortunately joined by the away day nutters.

Think every club has them.

SRHibs
31-07-2019, 03:16 AM
Who's that team
God save the queen
Get out of our club

I see. They do have a version of "Hullo, Hullo" minus the sectarianism, so just wondered if that was what people meant by "Hunnish". From my experience at Newcastle games, usually the only negative chants are aimed at the Mackems and Mike Ashley.

AZhibee
31-07-2019, 04:58 AM
Thanks Jonnyboy!

Stonewall
31-07-2019, 05:14 AM
I must admit I really enjoyed watching players of such ability. They were bigger, stronger faster and more skill full than us but we hung on in there and played with determination and at times no little ability.

We were not helped by the fact we elected to give the whole squad significant game time but on the plus side everyone has come through pre season fit (apart from Boyle) and we should get the benefit in the following weeks and months.

Will have been a more useful exercise than any of the other pre season games and I will be fascinated to see what Saturday’s line up is.

Since452
31-07-2019, 06:18 AM

Weeyaayyeetoontoonoooooooohh or some gibberish like that

Player wise i thought Whittaker was excellent and i doubt Kamberi was trying to impress Bruce. Newcastle shopping in a very different market hence the £40m lad. Id take that for Flo though!

BILLYHIBS
31-07-2019, 07:45 AM
Brilliant as always Jonnyboy

Once again for the second week running my MOM goes to the fans :greengrin

wookie70
31-07-2019, 08:16 AM
Didn't think Mackie was as bad as many are making out. He had no protection in the first half from a DM or from Newell and on the ball he did pretty well.