PDA

View Full Version : Mackie

GGTTH07
30-07-2019, 10:01 PM
Wasn’t there tonight however I heard he was impressive tonight. Thoughts?

B.H.F.C
30-07-2019, 10:03 PM
I thought he got murdered tonight. It was a tough shift.

Would still play him on Saturday though.

Lewiehas2
30-07-2019, 10:04 PM
Struggled last 20 but was impressed before hand, think he just tired. Good going forward and improving defensively

04Sauzee
He's a young boy learning his trade, thought he looked much better than he did in the Dunfermline game. He won't play Newcastle everyweek and think I'd be happy with him against St Mirren at the weekend.

I understand why our development team will be playing friendlies against good quality opposition to give them a chance to compete at the top level.

Brightside
He had a hard time of it but nowhere near as bad as some are making out. He's still the best LB we have available right now, and I fully expect him to play on Saturday.

bingo70
Wasn’t there tonight however I heard he was impressive tonight. Thoughts?

Nah, impressive isn’t the right word imo.

He was alright up against a tough opponent, did some good things, some not so good things.

I do think he’s looking a lot more comfortable now at left back than he did when he played there last season though. Don’t think he looks out of place in the first team but don’t think he’s close to taking the position of Lewis as first choice left back.

JohnM1875
30-07-2019, 10:05 PM
I thought he got murdered tonight. It was a tough shift.

Would still play him on Saturday though.

Agree. But will be a good lesson for him against class opposition.

Hope his was just blowing out his erse towards the end and not injured. Looked to me like he kept feeling his leg.

calumhibee1
30-07-2019, 10:06 PM
I thought he struggled and was caught out numerous times. He was really poor last 15 but he looked dead on his feet to be fair.

He doesn’t get a lot of support from whoever’s ahead of him either.

hibee_girl
30-07-2019, 10:06 PM
He had a hard time of it but nowhere near as bad as some are making out. He's still the best LB we have available right now, and I fully expect him to play on Saturday.

Agree with this.

I still think he’d do better in front of Stevenson (when Stevenson is fit)

04Sauzee
30-07-2019, 10:08 PM

Defo not as bad as some make out. Feel much happier after seeing him tonight.

CapitalGreen
30-07-2019, 10:10 PM
He will be fine in the SPFL and did really well in the build up to the goal with another excellent delivery.

Greenbeard
30-07-2019, 10:15 PM
Boy done well overall and def deserves a run, although I agree he was suspect last 10-15 with a couple of shockers when being dispossessed deep.

GreenCastle
30-07-2019, 10:15 PM
Thought he’s done well last few games.

There is definitely a player there.

I think having Newell in front who doesn’t really track back much doesn’t help but think he will do fine as back up for Stevenson.

500miles
30-07-2019, 10:16 PM
He lost his discipline at times, that's his biggest problem.

Ozyhibby
30-07-2019, 10:16 PM
He wasn’t helped much by Newall to be fair. I still don’t see it with Newall. I only watched the Elgin game on TV and I thought he was OK and no more. I don’t really see what everyone else seems to see? To me he looks no where near good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
30-07-2019, 10:22 PM
He was guilty of giving the ball away a few times and a couple of times went for the
fancy option and got caught out.

Having said that, he also did good things, and won’t face EPL forward lines very often, so it would be a tad harsh to form a lasting opinion of him based on this game.

JohnM1875
30-07-2019, 10:22 PM
He wasn’t helped much by Newall to be fair. I still don’t see it with Newall. I only watched the Elgin game on TV and I thought he was OK and no more. I don’t really see what everyone else seems to see? To me he looks no where near good enough.

Joe Newell is going to be the new Allan or Allen isn't it? :wink: haha

overdrive
30-07-2019, 10:38 PM
I thought he did well but was blowing out his arse before he went off. I thought he was the best out of the three young players that started (him, Murray and Shaw).

The_Horde
30-07-2019, 10:44 PM
Joe Newell is going to be the new Allan or Allen isn't it? :wink: haha

Much preferred Joe's old wall.

GreenCastle
30-07-2019, 10:56 PM

Newell as I’ve posted before isn’t a Boyle or Horgan / Barker.

He is a left sided player who isn’t super fast but has a great touch and good vision. He likes to drift inside and will assist / score some goals for us.

He’s improving each game as he settles and playing with a young player behind him also makes a difference compared to Stevenson for example.

matty_f
30-07-2019, 11:01 PM
Hecky’s comments after the game explain why he was so exposed at times. Available on hibs tv’s YouTube channel.

04Sauzee
30-07-2019, 11:02 PM
Hecky’s comments after the game explain why he was so exposed at times. Available on hibs tv’s YouTube channel.

Good interview from Heckingbottom. Nice to hear what he wanted to get out of the game

JackHibs
30-07-2019, 11:30 PM
Defensively he got dragged all over the place by Almiron, who i'd say was their best player. Was caught out of position a lot.

But when he has the ball at his feet i think he's very solid, doesn't give it away often and can put a good ball in. Not scared to try a difficult pass either rather than back to the other CB all the time

J-C
31-07-2019, 08:07 AM
Did well against some really good players, tired in th last 15 but otherwise I have no problem starting him on Saturday. Young Gullan helped him out when he came on but was disappointed in Newell, looked one paced and never looked to get forward and push onto their wingback.

scoopyboy
31-07-2019, 09:18 AM
If Sean had been substituted at the same time as other starters then he would have come out the game with a lot more credit.

The last fifteen to twenty minutes was his worst spell as he was running on empty, up until then he coped really well.

Don't know if I'm reading too much into too little but did he get so long because he's not going to start on Saturday?

I hope not as if we start with Whittaker at rb and James at left back then we are weaker in two positions.

For me it has to be James and Mackie.

B.H.F.C
31-07-2019, 09:34 AM
If Sean had been substituted at the same time as other starters then he would have come out the game with a lot more credit.

The last fifteen to twenty minutes was his worst spell as he was running on empty, up until then he coped really well.

Don't know if I'm reading too much into too little but did he get so long because he's not going to start on Saturday?

I hope not as if we start with Whittaker at rb and James at left back then we are weaker in two positions.

I think he will go with James and Whittaker.

I wouldn’t as I think James playing LB slows the game down and it’s another game where we need to be on the front foot.

scoopyboy
31-07-2019, 10:11 AM
I think he will go with James and Whittaker.

I wouldn’t as I think James playing LB slows the game down and it’s another game where we need to be on the front foot.

I have that horrible hunch as well.

BSEJVT
31-07-2019, 10:36 AM
I think Mackie will turn out fine in the end but is still very raw.

He is impressive going forward but not nearly so much defending and seems easily beaten and far too far away from his man far too often for my liking but I am putting that down to inexperience.

I think what it does show is that Hibs are absolutely correct to do what they are doing re Reserve league as there is clearly no way he was being properly tested at that level if his defending skills are as underdeveloped as they obviously are.

One thing that does strike me though is that there are completely different levels of latitude afforded to him and Shaw.

Shaw is criticised for every miss-step whereas Mackie seems to be getting a free pass for being culpable in their first goal last night and in most of the games I have seen him play passages of poor play/concentration

To be clear I think he should be getting a free pass and some latitude at this stage of the season / his career, but then again I think the same about Shaw.

I know Shaw has been about a lot longer, but they are of similar age and I would guess (but await being shot down in flames) have around the same number of starts?

Brightside
31-07-2019, 10:40 AM
I have that horrible hunch as well.

I really hope we dont start the season with Whitts. We really need pace and energy with both sides. Whitts is an experienced pro and great cover but i'd really rather he started on the bench.

scoopyboy
31-07-2019, 10:56 AM
I really hope we dont start the season with Whitts. We really need pace and energy with both sides. Whitts is an experienced pro and great cover but i'd really rather he started on the bench.

Me too, I'm not a Whittaker hater but would rather we went with James and Mackie.

My logic being;

James is a better rb than Whittaker.

Mackie is a better lb than James.

bingo70
31-07-2019, 10:58 AM

Is it not a bit concerning he was struggling so much the last 20 minutes?

I don’t have an axe to grind with the guy, I think he’s alright but got my doubts if he’ll make it as a first team regular with us.

Clarence
31-07-2019, 11:02 AM
Newell as I’ve posted before isn’t a Boyle or Horgan / Barker.

He is a left sided player who isn’t super fast but has a great touch and good vision. He likes to drift inside and will assist / score some goals for us.

He’s improving each game as he settles and playing with a young player behind him also makes a difference compared to Stevenson for example.

Like a left sided Stuart Lovell?

Hibernian Verse
31-07-2019, 11:02 AM

I don’t have an axe to grind with the guy, I think he’s alright but got my doubts if he’ll make it as a first team regular with us.

No he was up against multi-million £ players one on one on a number of occasions. He didn't struggle in league cup games. Last night was a huge step up.

scoopyboy
31-07-2019, 12:26 PM

Early season bingo and all the other players done 60 minutes at most.

He had a hard shift against a fast moving Newcastle team, both defending and getting forward.

His stamina would be ok for our League matches.

JimBHibees
31-07-2019, 12:39 PM

Agree Sean being naturally left footed helps the balance of the team and to me James looks a real find though appreciate early doors.

calumhibee1
31-07-2019, 01:41 PM
Agree Sean being naturally left footed helps the balance of the team and to me James looks a real find though appreciate early doors.

James looks more than capable defensively. I’m not sure how much he’ll add going forward which is my only issue with him - we might need more attacking intent from our full backs with Boyle out.

BSEJVT
31-07-2019, 01:52 PM
James looks more than capable defensively. I’m not sure how much he’ll add going forward which is my only issue with him - we might need more attacking intent from our full backs with Boyle out.

Not sure I would agree with the notion that James is more than capable defensively at this stage, but it is far too early to tell or judge.

He stood like a statue watching Longstaff score their second, made no attempt whatsoever to get out and close him down, stood dead still.

He has also been easily beaten a few times in the League Cup games by lower division players and failed to prevent crosses coming in.

But despite all this, I also would go with James & Mackie as Whittaker is and never has been any better defensively, even in his prime but was a very very good attacking full back

JimBHibees
31-07-2019, 02:05 PM
Not sure I would agree with the notion that James is more than capable defensively at this stage, but it is far too early to tell or judge.

He stood like a statue watching Longstaff score their second, made no attempt whatsoever to get out and close him down, stood dead still.

He has also been easily beaten a few times in the League Cup games by lower division players and failed to prevent crosses coming in.

But despite all this, I also would go with James & Mackie as Whittaker is and never has been any better defensively, even in his prime but was a very very good attacking full back

Agree with that although James looks a very good footballer and technically very good there have been as you suggest occasions where he hasnt really stopped crosses coming in as much as you would like to see. He deserves to start though however hope he can be a bit more aggressive in one to ones and stopping crosses.

scoopyboy
02-08-2019, 09:09 PM

We are going to be disappointed when the team is announced tomorrow. :grr:

Col2
02-08-2019, 09:16 PM
I though Whittaker was looking very fit. He has had a great pre season fitness wise and in best shape for a while.

Clean slate hopefully and he has a big contribution this season
Even if it’s for cover in most games.

bingo70
02-08-2019, 09:16 PM
We are going to be disappointed when the team is announced tomorrow. :grr:

FWIW I won’t be sharing your disappointment.

Whittaker is a far better player than he’s given credit for imo (not a dig at you) and Mackie isn’t as good as I think some people give him credit for (again, not a dig at you)

B.H.F.C
02-08-2019, 09:19 PM

Whittaker is a far better player than he’s given credit for imo (not a dig at you) and Mackie isn’t as good as I think some people give him credit for (again, not a dig at you)

My real disappointment will be if James plays left back. Whittaker would be far more comfortable there than him.

scoopyboy
02-08-2019, 09:20 PM

I think you might be.

bingo70
02-08-2019, 09:22 PM
I think you might be.

You’ve lost me 😂

I thought you were suggesting Whittaker and James would be starting which you were disappointed with? I’d be happy with those two starting.

Smartie
02-08-2019, 09:27 PM
Whittaker looks fitter than he's been during this whole spell at the club.

He's got something to prove coming off a couple of disappointing seasons, and I think he could shut a few people up given the opportunity.

I want him to play, and play well.

Col2
02-08-2019, 09:30 PM

I think Mackie will develop into a real talent for us but he is on learning curve. Whittaker under Lennon structure and tactics was poor. I am convinced we will get a lot more from him under Heckingbottom given the flexibility of structure, tactics and generally push for high press and energy.

jacomo
02-08-2019, 09:44 PM
Like a left sided Stuart Lovell?

Yes. I think Newell can do well for us. He seems to be a footballer.

But you do need someone on the other side like Boyle who can stretch the play.

JimBHibees
02-08-2019, 10:12 PM
Yes. I think Newell can do well for us. He seems to be a footballer.

But you do need someone on the other side like Boyle who can stretch the play.

Agree think he will create and score good footballer and can go past a player.

CapitalGreen
02-08-2019, 10:47 PM
Me too, I'm not a Whittaker hater but would rather we went with James and Mackie.

My logic being;

James is a better rb than Whittaker.

Mackie is a better lb than James.

This. Surely we play our right back at right back and our left back at left back rather than playing players out of position.

supermcginn
02-08-2019, 11:15 PM
Whittaker is streets ahead of mackie even now, glad he's playing tomorrow.

CapitalGreen
02-08-2019, 11:23 PM
Whittaker is streets ahead of mackie even now, glad he's playing tomorrow.

Debatable whether the above is true, however Mackie and Whittaker are not competing for the same position.

James at RB and Mackie at LB > Whitts at RB and James at LB

It’s concerning that Whittaker hasn’t been good enough to hold down a regular place for 2 years but is now considered our starting right back over someone we signed just this summer.

Brooster
03-08-2019, 06:33 AM
Debatable whether the above is true, however Mackie and Whittaker are not competing for the same position.

James at RB and Mackie at LB > Whitts at RB and James at LB

It’s concerning that Whittaker hasn’t been good enough to hold down a regular place for 2 years but is now considered our starting right back over someone we signed just this summer.

Whittaker isn't starting at RB, he is starting at LB.

JimBHibees
03-08-2019, 06:43 AM
Whittaker isn't starting at RB, he is starting at LB.

Would have preferred Sean to be playing however think Stevens best game last season was at left back v todays opponents.

Billy Whizz
03-08-2019, 07:41 AM
Don’t like teams getting leaked before 2pm

HibbyAndy
03-08-2019, 12:20 PM
If Whittaker is starting at LB ahead of Mackie who is a genuine Left sided player what is this telling us ? Heck doesn't like Mackie ?

Smartie
03-08-2019, 12:24 PM
If Whittaker is starting at LB ahead of Mackie who is a genuine Left sided player what is this telling us ? Heck doesn't like Mackie ?

Whittaker has played at LB for his country and has played there countless times throughout his career.

His best performance of this spell with us was at St Mirren in January - at left-back.

Some players are good in multiple positions.

It doesn't tell us anything other than that is the team our manager fancies to win the game today, same as it would be if he chose Mackie to play at left-midfield over a more recognised player in that position.

J-C
03-08-2019, 12:25 PM

Nope, he's going for experience before youth, Mackie is still young and learning his trade, personally I'd play Mackie but I'm not the manager.

blackpoolhibs
03-08-2019, 12:29 PM
Whittaker is still a good player, Mackie's time will hopefully come if he is good enough.

I think Whittaker gets a load of stick thats is warranted but way over the top at times, he still has a lot to offer us, and today looks like its one of those days.

B.H.F.C
03-08-2019, 12:30 PM

I’d have played Mackie but I don’t think he made the most of the opportunity of Stevenson being out in pre season.

I thought he was poor in the friendlies but we improved when he came in to the team in the last two league cup games.

He had a real chance to make that position his and I’m not sure he did enough.

Swedish hibee
03-08-2019, 05:13 PM
He looked very like Jason Cummings on screen.. Had to do a double take!

TrinityHibs
03-08-2019, 05:42 PM
I thought Mackie was poor today. Too quick to move the ball on. Dived in in the corner should have been booked. Out of position and saved by Kamberi. I know he is young but it does show how good Stevenson is.

Golden Bear
03-08-2019, 06:35 PM
The young lad looked bereft of confidence today, hopefully he'll show more adventure in the future.

scoopyboy
03-08-2019, 08:20 PM
The young lad looked bereft of confidence today, hopefully he'll show more adventure in the future.

He hadn't looked short of confidence in the latter games in the League Cup or against Newcastle.

Maybe being dropped for today had something to do with it.

Iggy Pope
03-08-2019, 08:25 PM

Not sure I seen a lack of confidence there and he’s played in bigger games,

CMurdoch
03-08-2019, 08:26 PM

It tells us that Mackie still has a lot to learn.
Whittaker was very good today especially when he played on the left and had Newell on front of him.
Newell fell away in the second half with Mackie behind him.
Experience is a great and invaluable thing.

BSEJVT
03-08-2019, 08:31 PM
I have previously criticised Mackie on this thread, but other than the bit in the corner, I thought he did pretty well when he came on today.

My only concern would be that that cameo in the corner is a bit too typical for me of Mackie's defending when someone is running/dribbling at him.

I hope he can improve on that part of his game because there is plenty to like in the rest of his game.