PDA

View Full Version : Mallan

Mango Man
29-07-2019, 04:10 PM
I think he will have a massive season for us, I know he had his doubters in the middle of the last season, but the guy is class, excellent passer and shooter, always talking on the pitch, and I've noticed he is doing more of the dirty work of late, great attitude as well.

Our midfield is shaping up to be very impressive.

Hakim Sar
29-07-2019, 04:28 PM
I hope you are right and he bangs in a few goals this season. I personally feel that our midfield is a little lightweight and we will get kicked off the park at Tynecastle and versus the Aberdeen spoilers. However, what we perhaps lack in physicality we could potentially compensate with high energy/high tempo stuff which seems to be Heck's ethos.

Big season coming up for Mallan.

CapitalGreen
29-07-2019, 04:29 PM
I hope you are right and he bangs in a few goals this season. I personally feel that our midfield is a little lightweight and we will get kicked off the park at Tynecastle and versus the Aberdeen spoilers. However, what we perhaps lack in physicality we could potentially compensate with high energy/high tempo stuff which seems to be Heck's ethos.

Hearts midfield is currently more lightweight than ours.

Mango Man
29-07-2019, 04:34 PM

Totally get that, but with the addition of Vela, Newell, and even Doidge coming back a bit, has added a bit of that physicality we were missing last season, Allan likes to get stuck in as well, sometimes a bit rash with his tackles though.

calumhibee1
29-07-2019, 04:35 PM

Hearts squad looks all over the shop tbh.

calumhibee1
29-07-2019, 04:36 PM
Totally get that, but with the addition of Vela, Newell, and even Doidge coming back a bit, has added a bit of that physicality we were missing last season, Allan likes to get stuck in as well, sometimes a bit rash with his tackles though.

I’ve never saw Allan make a rash tackle. Ever. Especially never against The Rangers.

Is there a gif of Allan’s perfectly timed tackle against The Rangers so we can confirm he got the ball?

Northernhibee
29-07-2019, 04:41 PM
If he was at Motherwell or St Johnstone we'd be screaming to sign him up. Passes well, shoots, dangerous set pieces, good positioning.

Hecky seems to bring out the best in him and when he won the POTY and PPOTY awards Hecky was saying it was well deserved but he needs to make sure that he improves and becomes an even better player. Struck just the right tone and the sort of manager a player like Mallan, Allan, Kamberi, Doidge, Porteous etc. need. Encouraging but never complacent.

Unseen work
29-07-2019, 04:58 PM
It never fails to amaze me the criticism/lack of respect he is shown.

23 years old, Scottish and in his first full season for us got 13 goals an 11 assists whilst winning player and players player of the year. If he was at any other team in Scotland we would say we missed the boat and should sign him.

We all wanted a midfielder that is a goal threat and that’s exactly what he is.

He was brought in as a attacking midfielder but due to poor recruitment/no balance he was deployed deeper which was never his game. Despite that he put his head down and worked hard and has now improved tenfold defensively. He works hard, wins it back and also makes a lot of good interceptions now

Its also worth noting that he has played near enough 90 minutes in every game since he has been here, clearly doing something right.

He is technically outstanding, some of his passes are brilliant and are key to how we play as it allows us to quickly change the position of our play and create an overload and double up on defenders.

I dont know what it is about him that so many seem to dislike.

He has so much potential and I’m delighted to have him here, he is only going to get better.

Mango Man
29-07-2019, 04:59 PM
I’ve never saw Allan make a rash tackle. Ever. Especially never against The Rangers.

Is there a gif of Allan’s perfectly timed tackle against The Rangers so we can confirm he got the ball?

:greengrin

04Sauzee
29-07-2019, 05:02 PM
Boy gets better and better, people have to remember he came into the Hibs team after having hardly any minutes at Barnsley. Also I think some were hoping he would be a Mcginn or a McGeouch but he was neither hes just a cracking Mallan

Mango Man
29-07-2019, 05:05 PM

23 years old, Scottish and in his first full season for us got 13 goals an 11 assists whilst winning player and players player of the year. If he was at any other team in Scotland we would say we missed the boat and should sign him.

He was brought in as a attacking midfielder but due to poor recruitment/no balance he was deployed deeper which was never his game. Despite that he put his head down and worked hard and has now improved tenfold defensively. He works hard, wins it back and also makes a lot of good interceptions now

Its also worth noting that he has played near enough 90 minutes in every game since he has been here, clearly doing something right.

He is technically outstanding, some of his passes are brilliant and are key to how we play as it allows us to quickly change the position of our play and create an overload and double up on defenders.

He has so much potential and I’m delighted to have him here, he is only going to get better.

Great post, I think most folk are just basing it on the middle of last season, where not only he wasn't doing much, but the whole team and the manager, just weren't doing much, he certainly picked up again when Hecky come in.

We are lucky to have him.

KWJ
29-07-2019, 05:06 PM
Best player we've had for pinging a ball since Riordan. Excited when he has it in any space. Him and Allan are both exciting in different ways whicb is erm, exciting.

HibbyAndy
29-07-2019, 05:08 PM

:top marks Wonderful post

The grief this lad gets on here is frightening , Way over the top and well off the mark

Stevie Mallan is a great fit for hibs and hope is here for years to come

Since452
29-07-2019, 05:12 PM

If they can't get Naismith on the park they'll be toiling

we are hibs
29-07-2019, 05:24 PM

I dont mind mallan but you really dont know what people dislike about him? He needs to improve off the ball massively still. I dont think he has improved that side at all. Players run off him.

Heisenberg
29-07-2019, 05:27 PM
I dont mind mallan but you really dont know what people dislike about him? He needs to improve off the ball massively still. I dont think he has improved that side at all. Players run off him.

Players used to run off Dylan McGeouch all the time. He was still brilliant at what he did as well. Mallan gets a ridiculously hard time from some and I’d agree with those that think it’s harsh.

Jones28
29-07-2019, 05:28 PM

I think people revel in that he went down to England, “failed” and has come back to Scotland. I will never understand that mentality.

Since452
29-07-2019, 05:34 PM
I think people revel in that he went down to England, “failed” and has come back to Scotland. I will never understand that mentality.

Scottish mentality. Concentrate on the negatives. He doesn't tackle that well either but we'll forget he was fans and players POTY in his first season.

dchibs
29-07-2019, 05:35 PM

They have moved Hacket into defensive midfield, Leviene trying to get as many 6 feet+ players in to the team as possible so they can launch it and of course the long throw ins as well industrial hoofball at its best.

Northernhibee
29-07-2019, 05:36 PM
Players used to run off Dylan McGeouch all the time. He was still brilliant at what he did as well. Mallan gets a ridiculously hard time from some and I’d agree with those that think it’s harsh.

The amount of effort that opposing defenders and midfielders need to make in closing down Mallan to not allow him space to shoot means other players get more space and time to do their thing.

B.H.F.C
29-07-2019, 05:38 PM

McGeough’s strengths were appreciated by anybody who knew anything about football. People overlooked what he couldn’t do and focussed on what he was good at. Mallan, IMO, doesn’t get the same benefit of the doubt and the focus always seems to be on what he’s not good at.

All that said I do think there is plenty room for improvement. Big season for him if he wants to move on in the future.

dchibs
29-07-2019, 05:42 PM

Loved that tackle ball was there to be won:cb

dchibs
29-07-2019, 05:46 PM
:top marks Wonderful post

The grief this lad gets on here is frightening , Way over the top and well off the mark

Stevie Mallan is a great fit for hibs and hope is here for years to come

:aok:

Tarrahib
29-07-2019, 06:04 PM
Why do worry about the Hearts squad.We should just admire our own squad.Let the Hearts fans worry about their squad.
GGTTH.

hibbydog
29-07-2019, 06:09 PM

Brilliant tackle.

Dashing Bob S
29-07-2019, 06:23 PM
Why do worry about the Hearts squad.We should just admire our own squad.Let the Hearts fans worry about their squad.
GGTTH.

No, let's also laugh at their squad.

FilipinoHibs
30-07-2019, 11:08 AM

And we have Vela!

hibbyfraelibby
30-07-2019, 11:09 AM
GGTTH.

...and oh boy are they worrying about their squad🤭🤭🤭

Speedway
30-07-2019, 11:26 AM
Mallan is definitely improving. His range of passing is starting to look impressive and this season, I hope we get to see more of the most exciting part of his game, which is his to make the opposition's goalie's shorts turn brown when he even gets a sight of goal.

Smartie
30-07-2019, 11:29 AM
Mallan is definitely improving. His range of passing is starting to look impressive and this season, I hope we get to see more of the most exciting part of his game, which is his ability to make goalies wear brown shorts when he even gets a sight of goal.

I think he's looked good in our games so far, but he's often looked good against weaker teams.

We really need to him to stand up and be counted against top 4 teams. He's actually played very well against Celtic (they've occasionally given him time to play) but it's the physicality and energy in games vs Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts and Killie that have sometimes shown him up a bit.

He definitely looks to have added to his game though.

matty_f
30-07-2019, 11:33 AM
I think Mallan took a while to grow into the jersey, but once he did he was very good. We're lucky to have him.

Speedway
30-07-2019, 11:40 AM
I think he's looked good in our games so far, but he's often looked good against weaker teams.

We really need to him to stand up and be counted against top 4 teams. He's actually played very well against Celtic (they've occasionally given him time to play) but it's the physicality and energy in games vs Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts and Killie that have sometimes shown him up a bit.

Agreed and his tackles result in yellows but I didn't want to be accused of focusing on the negatives. :wink:

Mango Man
31-07-2019, 08:57 AM
Very nice strike with his left foot last night, and thought he played well against very tough opposition.

Mon the Mallan.

Stevie Reid
31-07-2019, 09:09 AM

He was really unfortunate not to score with several very good attempts on goal in the two games at Tynie last season.

I love SM. Would hate him to be playing elsewhere in the SPL.

Leith Green
31-07-2019, 09:16 AM
Agreed and his tackles result in yellows but I didn't want to be accused of focusing on the negatives. :wink:

I remember one of the best midfielders ever to play in the premiership couldn't tackle a fish supper. Paul scholes

Leith Green
31-07-2019, 09:17 AM
The laddie has improved massively since Heckingbottom arrived

Allant1981
31-07-2019, 09:19 AM
He had another decent game last night I thought, will be a big player again for us this season and double figures in goals I reckon

Vault Boy
31-07-2019, 09:48 AM
The laddie has improved massively since Heckingbottom arrived

I agree. Looks a more well rounded midfielder, his passing has been excellent in pre season. Hopefully a season of even more improvements from an already good player.