PDA

View Full Version : Rule Changes

Mikey
29-07-2019, 03:51 PM
Pay attention folks, you don't want to be the dafty who rants at the ref for getting it right :wink:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/14-major-rule-changes-scottish-football-fans-need-to-know-about-for-the-new-season-1-4972940?page=1

:rules:

hibbyfraelibby
29-07-2019, 04:11 PM
Pay attention folks, you don't want to be the dafty who rants at the ref for getting it right :wink:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/14-major-rule-changes-scottish-football-fans-need-to-know-about-for-the-new-season-1-4972940?page=1

Like the one about the senior coach being booked...Levein is going to spend a lot of time in the stand for Nanny and Daly's offences

speedy_gonzales
29-07-2019, 04:11 PM

#6 & #8 will bewilder some,,,, my dad still can't get around the changes made to offside about 10 years ago!

BoomtownHibees
29-07-2019, 04:13 PM
Could be fun when players have to walk off at the nearest point of the pitch at a derby etc

Hibernian32
29-07-2019, 05:04 PM
Like the quick free kick one can us using that alot with intelligent players like Mallan and Allan

PaulSmith
29-07-2019, 05:09 PM
Rangers at home, we are a goal to the good. They have a succession of corners any everytime one is taken the fans throw tennis balls into the box..the game will always be restarted back safely in Rocky's hands.

There's also one now where the goal kick is simply chipped into a defenders head from a yard away, the GK catches the ball and then sprints to the edge of his penalty box to kick the ball from hand :greengrin

Carheenlea
29-07-2019, 05:11 PM
Shame to see that the drop-ball is effectively consigned to history. Was still pretty rare to see a properly contested drop ball in recent years but now they’re no more.
The quick free kick even if an offending player is to be booked could be an interesting change - seen a lot of such efforts to take quickly but called back by ref as he does his paperwork and issue a card.

Billy Whizz
29-07-2019, 05:16 PM
https://theifab.com/logapp/

BlackSheep
29-07-2019, 07:46 PM
Like the quick free kick one can us using that alot with intelligent players like Mallan and Allan

This will be the rule that is almost always broken, our refs are so dumb they will stop play.

SJNB Hibby
29-07-2019, 08:42 PM
So is it a metre or a yard?
Us pedantics need to know

jacomo
29-07-2019, 09:04 PM
12. Walls at free kicks
Attackers are not allowed to be within 1m (1yd) of a defensive wall of three or more. An offence from the attacker will result in an indirect free kick.

Now, correct me if I’m wrong, but is the game here to line up a 2 man wall, entice an opposing player to join it, then quickly make it a 3 man wall and steal the free kick?

Bangkok Hibby
29-07-2019, 09:29 PM
So is it a metre or a yard?
Us pedantics need to know

Isnt pedantic the adjective to describe what pedants are?

Signed
A Pedant

Iggy Pope
29-07-2019, 09:29 PM
I’m in shame. Went mental at the shed side 2nd half Lino when the left back scooped the shortie out the box under pressure. Sorry Lino. You Tory Hun ****.

Hibee Mac
29-07-2019, 09:30 PM

Signed
A Pedant

Brilliant 😂

1van Sprou7e
29-07-2019, 09:37 PM

It's a very interesting one. So it means a free kick can be taken as soon as it's given, like a throw in or a corner?

Wonder if this will just lead to teams kicking the ball away when a free kick is given against them so that it can't be taken quickly

SJNB Hibby
29-07-2019, 10:00 PM

Signed
A Pedant
Oh so youre being pedantic about being a pedant?
How pedantic of you

bod
29-07-2019, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=hibbyfraelibby;5863080]Like the one about the senior coach being booked...Levein is going to spend a lot of time in the stand for Nanny and Daly's offences[/QUOTE

Can see Tam Getting booked this season ,taking 1 for the boss

Nicho87
29-07-2019, 10:27 PM
That’s interesting reading.

pity the refs won’t ever use them all accurately though

hibbysam
29-07-2019, 10:30 PM
Rangers at home, we are a goal to the good. They have a succession of corners any everytime one is taken the fans throw tennis balls into the box..the game will always be restarted back safely in Rocky's hands.

There's also one now where the goal kick is simply chipped into a defenders head from a yard away, the GK catches the ball and then sprints to the edge of his penalty box to kick the ball from hand :greengrin

If I remember correctly you can’t manipulate a ball so that it’s not a passback (ie chip the ball up to your own knee/head so that the keeper can pick it up, or intentionally chip it to your own player so he can play it back to you. Used to be the rule but not sure if that’s still in place)

wookie70
29-07-2019, 10:55 PM

Too late quite a few at Elgin fell foul of the one where the ball doesn't need to come out the box at a bye and from what I can hear the vast majority at ER don't understand you can take an offside free kick in either half depending on where the offence took place.

Phil MaGlass
30-07-2019, 05:46 AM
Shame to see that the drop-ball is effectively consigned to history. Was still pretty rare to see a properly contested drop ball in recent years but now they’re no more.
The quick free kick even if an offending player is to be booked could be an interesting change - seen a lot of such efforts to take quickly but called back by ref as he does his paperwork and issue a card.

should also be an automatic yellow if you try to block the free kick from being taken quickly.

Hibee87
30-07-2019, 06:42 AM
should also be an automatic yellow if you try to block the free kick from being taken quickly.

It already is, is it not? Just most refs allow it unless it's us who do it, or so it seems.

Hibee87
30-07-2019, 06:44 AM
Too late quite a few at Elgin fell foul of the one where the ball doesn't need to come out the box at a bye and from what I can hear the vast majority at ER don't understand you can take an offside free kick in either half depending on where the offence took place.

Have they come into force yet, the rules? I'm sure someone at E.R said it was only in the league / when the league started when folk were questioning the subs not leaving at nearest byline against alloa

matty_f
30-07-2019, 06:56 AM
It already is, is it not? Just most refs allow it unless it's us who do it, or so it seems.
So true!

FilipinoHibs
30-07-2019, 07:43 AM

The kick off always puzzles me at ER. We cant win all the tosses . How then do we always play up the slope first half. You would expect the other team to make play down the slope first half unless they want play towards their fans in the 2nd half.

heretoday
30-07-2019, 07:52 AM

I can foresee a few disasters with that trick.

Seekyit
30-07-2019, 07:57 AM
Could be fun when players have to walk off at the nearest point of the pitch at a derby etc

Can't help thinking this will cause confusion sooner or later with linesmen at the opposite side of the pitch flagging for onside/offside involving players who've been substituted.

wookie70
30-07-2019, 08:21 AM
Have they come into force yet, the rules? I'm sure someone at E.R said it was only in the league / when the league started when folk were questioning the subs not leaving at nearest byline against alloa Start of June I thought

wookie70
30-07-2019, 08:23 AM
The kick off always puzzles me at ER. We cant win all the tosses . How then do we always play up the slope first half. You would expect the other team to make play down the slope first half unless they want play towards their fans in the 2nd half. There are a few games where teams have turned us round from the traditional down the slope second half. I think it has just become convention to shoot towards your own fans second half but I'm surprised more teams don't try to upset the home team by changing the direction at kick off

hibbyfraelibby
30-07-2019, 08:24 AM

Signed
A Pedant

Should there not have been a line space between Signed and A Pedant?

hibbyfraelibby
30-07-2019, 08:26 AM
It's a very interesting one. So it means a free kick can be taken as soon as it's given, like a throw in or a corner?

Wonder if this will just lead to teams kicking the ball away when a free kick is given against them so that it can't be taken quickly

Possibly but it might also be designed to prevent a player blocking a free kick so his defence can get back.

hibbyfraelibby
30-07-2019, 08:28 AM
Oh so youre being pedantic about being a pedant?
How pedantic of you

Careful you forgot a comma and an apostrophe and they come with a whole heap of other police

hibbyfraelibby
30-07-2019, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE=hibbyfraelibby;5863080]Like the one about the senior coach being booked...Levein is going to spend a lot of time in the stand for Nanny and Daly's offences[/QUOTE

Can see Tam Getting booked this season ,taking 1 for the boss

Tam would blame Joyce!😉

FilipinoHibs
30-07-2019, 08:32 AM
There are a few games where teams have turned us round from the traditional down the slope second half. I think it has just become convention to shoot towards your own fans second half but I'm surprised more teams don't try to upset the home team by changing the direction at kick off

Yes I can only remember a handful of teams in 50 years doing it.

hibbyfraelibby
30-07-2019, 08:33 AM
Have they come into force yet, the rules? I'm sure someone at E.R said it was only in the league / when the league started when folk were questioning the subs not leaving at nearest byline against alloa

Where subs leave is still a matter for refs discretion according to the rule. Dont see it changing in SPFL unless it is to an injured player

Hibee87
30-07-2019, 08:49 AM
Where subs leave is still a matter for refs discretion according to the rule. Dont see it changing in SPFL unless it is to an injured player

Thats a good point 'unless the ref tells them otherwise'. I would like to think they have been instructed in certain situations they can still walk to the benches i.e if they are already near it, otherwise why bring in the rule at all? I cant imagine a player that is at the furthest point away on the pitch being allowed to slowly walk to the sub bench to waste time.

Will be interesting to see on Saturday what happens.

1van Sprou7e
30-07-2019, 08:59 AM
Yes I can only remember a handful of teams in 50 years doing it.

It happened a few times in the championship I'm sure, but don't think it's happened since we were promoted

I read on here that the rule had changed in 2017 so that teams winning the toss only got to choose who kicked off first and the direction of play was always fixed

Spudster
30-07-2019, 09:44 AM
Am I misreading this? You can't be offside in your own half so the free kick would always have to be in the opponents half (where the offence took place).

ancient hibee
30-07-2019, 09:54 AM
Am I misreading this? You can't be offside in your own half so the free kick would always have to be in the opponents half (where the offence took place).

There's a slight wrinkle to that.If the player is offside in the opponents half when the ball is played and comes into his own half to collect the pass then he is offside.

Hibee87
30-07-2019, 09:55 AM

The rule changed a couple year back to say your offside from where you touch the ball or something, so basically if your offside just on the line but run back into your own half and touch the ball there first, the freekick is taken in that half.

JimBHibees
30-07-2019, 09:56 AM
There's a slight wrinkle to that.If the player is offside in the opponents half when the ball is played and comes into his own half to collect the pass then he is offside.

With the free kick taken from where the player plays the ball e.g his own half.

JohnMcM
30-07-2019, 10:18 AM
The main question is, can we still shout and be angry :grr:with the referee and lino's :grr: about each and every decision they make against us?

After all, the rules are there to be ignored when it suits them, especially when we play the uglies.

:flag:

Spudster
30-07-2019, 10:36 AM
Every day is a school day! cheers guys

Onceinawhile
30-07-2019, 10:37 AM
With the free kick taken from where the player plays the ball e.g his own half.

Yup, we had one of them quite soon after the law changed and the folk around me were going mental. Had to calmly (and loudly) explain to my son, why the people sitting near him were wrong.

Same when the rules changed about a player not needing to go off when they had been injured, if the player who injured them was booked. Folk going absolutely tonto at the ref, despite him being 100% correct.

Phil MaGlass
30-07-2019, 11:05 AM
They should have made a rule to stop an injured player, stopping play, going off for treatment, coming back on, then sitting down on the field of play just to go off again, thus giving his team a chance to warm a player up and waste time, pain in the arse.
I reckon players should always be kept warmed up by pitch side cycles like rugby.
Or time should be added on from the moment the player actually went down the 1st time.

Caversham Green
04-08-2019, 10:54 AM
Saw rule no 7 in action yesterday. Away side 2-1 up and running down the clock. They decide to substitute the player on the far side of the pitch and he starts walking towards the dugout. Ref indicates that he should go off at the far side of the pitch, player ignores him and carries on walking to the dugout. Ref says nothing and lets him carry on walking the full width of the pitch.

1. What's the point if the rule is not going to be enforced.
2. What should the ref have done - not much point in booking him as he was going off anyway.

wookie70
04-08-2019, 12:21 PM
Saw rule no 7 in action yesterday. Away side 2-1 up and running down the clock. They decide to substitute the player on the far side of the pitch and he starts walking towards the dugout. Ref indicates that he should go off at the far side of the pitch, player ignores him and carries on walking to the dugout. Ref says nothing and lets him carry on walking the full width of the pitch.

1. What's the point if the rule is not going to be enforced.
2. What should the ref have done - not much point in booking him as he was going off anyway.

The ref could have booked him and not allowed the substitution to take place at that point. Refs really need to enforce these rules. There will be times where a few yards here or there is nothing but if he was on the other side of the pitch then the ref has to do something. The booking may add up later with others to become a suspension

Caversham Green
04-08-2019, 12:52 PM
The ref could have booked him and not allowed the substitution to take place at that point. Refs really need to enforce these rules. There will be times where a few yards here or there is nothing but if he was on the other side of the pitch then the ref has to do something. The booking may add up later with others to become a suspension

I think you're right. To add to the frustration, the full sequence of events was:

Ball goes out of play, and board is held up to signal a substitution of a player standing fairly close to dugouts. Player walks off slowly shakes hands with sub, sub comes on and only then is the board held up for the second substitution. Everyone in the ground could have guessed that the player who had wandered over to the far touchline was the one who was coming off. Then he ignores a clear instruction from the ref to leave at the nearest point. For the ref to do nothing was incredibly weak refereeing.

I don't usually get very worked up at Reading games but I was bloody furious by this point.

Scouse Hibee
04-08-2019, 01:24 PM
Can't help thinking this will cause confusion sooner or later with linesmen at the opposite side of the pitch flagging for onside/offside involving players who've been substituted.

Yes agreed, the subs have to warm up wearing bibs to avoid confusion yet you will have players walking along the touch line in their kit.

Speedy
04-08-2019, 01:32 PM

In theory it shouldn't happen as the player would never be interfering with play.

Seekyit
04-08-2019, 01:55 PM
In theory it shouldn't happen as the player would never be interfering with play.

He wouldn't be no, but it could confuse a linesman at the other side of the pitch. As someone has pointed out, subs aren't allowed to warm up without covering up their tops.