PDA

View Full Version : NHC Gareth Bale

iwasthere1972
27-07-2019, 12:04 PM
Apparently leaving Real Madrid to join a Chinese team for a reported £1 million a week.

Crazy or what.

Michael
27-07-2019, 12:20 PM
Don't understand why top players go to China while they can still play at top level. Yes it's a lot of money, but when you have his level of wealth already it surely won't make any difference to his life. But, maybe he's always wanted to live in China.

greenlex
27-07-2019, 12:23 PM
Don't understand why top players go to China while they can still play at top level. Yes it's a lot of money, but when you have his level of wealth already it surely won't make any difference to his life. But, maybe he's always wanted to live in China.
He’s done everything he’s likely to do at the top level. He’s doing it for three years to bag north of 150 million. We would all do it.

madabouthibs
27-07-2019, 12:23 PM
I hear the foods decent. 😀

hibsmad
27-07-2019, 12:27 PM
It's only the Chinese clubs that can afford him.

He'll be back in a top European league after 6 months to a year with a healthy wedge in his pocket.

jacomo
27-07-2019, 12:28 PM
He’s done everything he’s likely to do at the top level. He’s doing it for three years to bag north of 150 million. We would all do it.

It’s an insane amount of money. He will be able to do anything he wants in life with that. Very hard to turn that down.

Also they like golf in China...

I worry for Wales that this isn’t positive news though. Doubt his fitness or form will benefit.

theonlywayisup
27-07-2019, 12:35 PM
I worry for Wales that this isn’t positive news though. Doubt his fitness or form will benefit.

Maybe good for Wales. The Welsh games might become the main focus of his season.

wookie70
27-07-2019, 12:38 PM
I remember when he signed for Real that I worked out he would earn more during his injury spell and before he kicked a ball for them than the average worker in the UK would earn in their life. That was ridiculous but this more doesn't make compute on any level to me. He could never spend what he has already earned and it would make more sense to sign for Liverpool or Tottenham and play in big games regularly and possibly make the difference that saw these teams win the league. For all those that say there isn't the money available for proper public services etc just think that the vast majority of money that funds football comes from working people.

04Sauzee
27-07-2019, 12:46 PM
Hope he has a miserable time even although the money will be a sweetener

greenlex
27-07-2019, 12:52 PM
I remember when he signed for Real that I worked out he would earn more during his injury spell and before he kicked a ball for them than the average worker in the UK would earn in their life. That was ridiculous but this more doesn't make compute on any level to me. He could never spend what he has already earned and it would make more sense to sign for Liverpool or Tottenham and play in big games regularly and possibly make the difference that saw these teams win the league. For all those that say there isn't the money available for proper public services etc just think that the vast majority of money that funds football comes from working people.
I get it but he’s nothing to prove by signing fir a Premiership club and play in big games. He’s successfully done that. It’s all about maximising the Pension pot.

neil7908
27-07-2019, 01:13 PM
He should join Hibs, golf courses will be much better over here than China!

FRes Hibbie
27-07-2019, 01:15 PM

Although I agree with your sentiment I don’t think Gareth Bale is robust enough to play in the EPL anymore. He has a stinking injury record for the last three seasons and has only been fit for about half Madrid’s games. That’s playing in Spain, where the football is more technical and less focused on pace and power.

neil7908
27-07-2019, 01:21 PM

I agree completely. When your 35 and can't get a game at a top club in Europe then a payday in China before retirement makes total sense.

But at 30 when you could still be playing at the top level and winning serious competitions? I think it's a real shame.

He should already have enough money to live a life of unimaginable wealth and ensure his great, great, great grandkids never have to work. What is an extra £150m really going to change for him?

He's only won a single league title in his career. If I was him I'd take £200k per week at someone like Bayern or PSG and have another few years at the top level. Hell even go back to Spurs and get back to enjoying your football.

I think it's a really sad end to a career. If there was any justice in the world some other kid that really wants to play football would be in his place.

sauzee=legend
27-07-2019, 01:21 PM
Maybe they have a state of the art training club.......

DarlingtonHibee
27-07-2019, 01:24 PM
Hope he has a miserable time even although the money will be a sweetener

Good luck to the guy, been a model professional for club and Country.

Hibernia&Alba
27-07-2019, 01:31 PM
A million quid a week for three years. What is the world coming to, and where will this madness end? There are tens of million of Chinese who still live a subsistence existence, then there's this.

DarlingtonHibee
27-07-2019, 02:04 PM
I agree completely. When your 35 and can't get a game at a top club in Europe then a payday in China before retirement makes total sense.

But at 30 when you could still be playing at the top level and winning serious competitions? I think it's a real shame.

He should already have enough money to live a life of unimaginable wealth and ensure his great, great, great grandkids never have to work. What is an extra £150m really going to change for him?

He's only won a single league title in his career. If I was him I'd take £200k per week at someone like Bayern or PSG and have another few years at the top level. Hell even go back to Spurs and get back to enjoying your football.

I think it's a really sad end to a career. If there was any justice in the world some other kid that really wants to play football would be in his place.

Has he not won four champions league?

hibsbollah
27-07-2019, 02:05 PM
Good luck to the guy, been a model professional for club and Country.

I don't think Zidane or his teammates think he's been a model professional. About as popular as a dose of the crabs by all accounts.

DarlingtonHibee
27-07-2019, 02:09 PM
I don't think Zidane or his teammates think he's been a model professional. About as popular as a dose of the crabs by all accounts.

Real offered the contract, has won a lot of trophies for them

hibsbollah
27-07-2019, 02:15 PM
Real offered the contract, has won a lot of trophies for them

I agree with the first point, if a team offers a five year deal they have to live with the consequences.

hibbycraig
27-07-2019, 02:19 PM
More people need to realise than being a professional footballer these days is a job and most are in it for the money. Bale has won the biggest trophy in club football 4 times now, he probably thinks he's got nothing else to prove. Take the £150million he's gonna earn in 3 years and that sets his family up for generations unless he messes up his finances big time. Fair play to him.

Fife-Hibee
27-07-2019, 02:25 PM
Chinese "communism" at it's best. Pay a guy £1million p/w for kicking a piece of round rubber around, while millions go hungry living in horrendous conditions.

Yet we have people wishing him all the best.

Scottie
27-07-2019, 02:29 PM
Heard today Real's problem with Bale is his commitment towards playing for his country. Loves playing for his country more than his club. Wouldn't be the same if it was Ramos or any other Spaniard mind you :dunno:

Allant1981
27-07-2019, 02:29 PM
Chinese "communism" at it's best. Pay a guy £1million p/w for kicking a piece of round rubber around, while millions go hungry living in horrendous conditions.

Yet we have people wishing him all the best.

Same in almost every single country in the world where football is popular, no different to us paying someone 3 grand a week yet having foodbank collections outside the stadium

Fife-Hibee
27-07-2019, 02:32 PM
Same in almost every single country in the world where football is popular, no different to us paying someone 3 grand a week yet having foodbank collections outside the stadium

Although it's a disgrace at times, it's nowhere near on the same level as this. It's just pure greed. Yet we're supposed to look up to people like this and applaud them? For what? What a world we live in.

Centre Hawf
27-07-2019, 02:33 PM
Taking away from the fact its 150 million he'll earn near tax free. He can't go anywhere else anyway because no one can afford him.

He's got 3 years left on a deal that will see him earn something like 15-20 million a year and no one else in Europe wants to pay him that amount to come to them due to injuries. So why should he go take a pay cut of maybe around 50 percent to join somewhere else that he may not be that interested in going to anyway? That's if they can agree the fee with Real Madrid to begin with which could be high but then do you pay a lot of money for a 30 year old with injury problems and no resale value?

Both parties signed the same contract and knew what they were getting into so if Bale wanted to sit and play when asked or train by himself for the rest of his contract then go for it. Especially in my opinion the way he's been treated by Madrid recently.

Would love to see him try his hand somewhere in Europe and remain in the limelight of mainstream football because he is a fantastic player but you would be absolutely insane to turn down 150 million quid for 3 years. He could quite easily earn that and then go do a Zlatan in MLS for another 2 or 3 years if his body allows it still and become a bit of a brand out there.

Allant1981
27-07-2019, 02:36 PM
Although it's a disgrace at times, it's nowhere near on the same level as this. It's just pure greed. Yet we're supposed to look up to people like this and applaud them? For what? What a world we live in.

This is the world we live in though, football is a business now, these guys bring in millions of pounds for the business they work for so are entitled to a good wage, is there a need to be paid that much, no is the obvious answer but who is going to knock it back

Smartie
27-07-2019, 02:38 PM
As good a player as he clearly is, I just can't take to him.

Not sure what it is.

Making a move like this doesn't make me like him any more.

Fife-Hibee
27-07-2019, 02:56 PM
This is the world we live in though, football is a business now, these guys bring in millions of pounds for the business they work for so are entitled to a good wage, is there a need to be paid that much, no is the obvious answer but who is going to knock it back

You're right. The world is as we accept it though.

HoboHarry
27-07-2019, 03:21 PM
He made precious little attempt to adapt to life in Spain so I can't imagine how he is going to cope in China. For being I Spain as long as he has been, his Spanish is really poor. I don't know what he's thinking.....

DarlingtonHibee
27-07-2019, 03:36 PM
He made precious little attempt to adapt to life in Spain so I can't imagine how he is going to cope in China. For being I Spain as long as he has been, his Spanish is really poor. I don't know what he's thinking.....

That is his personal choice, he is paid to play football.

Jim44
27-07-2019, 03:40 PM
Real were beaten 7-3 by Atletico today.

Wilson
27-07-2019, 03:46 PM

You don't know what he's thinking because he told you in Spanish?

Hibeesforever
27-07-2019, 04:12 PM
Shame for the player as he will quickly fall out of the European limelight, and his legacy will be reduced. Great player, could have achieved more though as only 30.

HoboHarry
27-07-2019, 04:21 PM
You don't know what he's thinking because he told you in Spanish?

Qué?

hibsbollah
27-07-2019, 07:44 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/26/gareth-bale-real-madrid-hero-why-gone-wrong

jacomo
27-07-2019, 09:31 PM
As good a player as he clearly is, I just can't take to him.

Not sure what it is.

Making a move like this doesn't make me like him any more.

He’s a left winger / inside forward but RM already had Ronaldo for that role so had to play him out of position.

That and his injuries have disrupted his career. He is a phenomenal player imo (his work for wales has been proper hero level) but maybe we never quite fulfil his potential.

The world has indeed gone mad, but still... £150m for three years? Who wouldn’t be tempted?

Maybe he wants to buy Cardiff and Celtic manor when he retires?!

Clarence
27-07-2019, 09:41 PM
He’s a left winger / inside forward but RM already had Ronaldo for that role so had to play him out of position.

That and his injuries have disrupted his career. He is a phenomenal player imo (his work for wales has been proper hero level) but maybe we never quite fulfil his potential.

The world has indeed gone mad, but still... £150m for three years? Who wouldn’t be tempted?

Maybe he wants to buy Cardiff and Celtic manor when he retires?!

He could probably buy the whole of Cardiff for that!

Mcpakeisgod
28-07-2019, 05:05 AM

It’s not really the players fault though so It’s hard to call them greedy when I’m sure most people on here would take the cash being offered.

Yorkshire HFC
28-07-2019, 06:44 AM
Flipping heck - I’m glad you lot don’t comment on my career choices :-)

Scouse Hibee
28-07-2019, 07:41 AM

Would you turn down the same relative offer?

Pretty Boy
28-07-2019, 07:46 AM
When you get into the kind of money being spoken about here is there a huge difference in what you can and can't do with the comparative amounts?, If Bale signed for, as an example, Man Utd on £350K a week would that deny him the ability to enjoy the same lifestyle as he could should he accept a £1M offer in China?

I get that it's an eye watering amount of money and that players have every right to negotiate the best deal for themselves but it seems odd to effectively prematurely end your top level career at 30 years old for what is a vast but arguably not life changing amount of money.

Allant1981
28-07-2019, 07:58 AM
When you get into the kind of money being spoken about here is there a huge difference in what you can and can't do with the comparative amounts?, If Bale signed for, as an example, Man Utd on £350K a week would that deny him the ability to enjoy the same lifestyle as he could should he accept a £1M offer in China?

I get that it's an eye watering amount of money and that players have every right to negotiate the best deal for themselves but it seems odd to effectively prematurely end your top level career at 30 years old for what is a vast but arguably not life changing amount of money.

There is 100 million pounds of a difference, yes he is already wealthy and would be still wealthy going for 350k or so per week but 100 million is a crazy amount to potentially lose out on

Pretty Boy
28-07-2019, 08:01 AM
There is 100 million pounds of a difference, yes he is already wealthy and would be still wealthy going for 350k orson per week but 100 million is a crazy amount to potentially lose out on

Is there anything you can buy earning £300M over a lifetime that you can't with £200M?

I'm almost playing devil's advocate here because I absolutely get the temptation but when you get into the realms of mega money the disparity is arguably different from me taking a job on £50K a year as opposed to £35K despite the numerically larger sum involved.

hibsbollah
28-07-2019, 08:02 AM
Would you turn down the same relative offer?

That's not the point, in my opinion. Bale is one of a cluster of players who are massively talented but just under the level of the true greats like Ronaldo and Messi (and Modric, to a certain extent), who have that obsessive drive to keep striving to be the best and win at the highest level. Bales life choices show he doesn't have that same obsessive drive, and yeah 'fair play, he's earned his cash, you wouldn't turn it down if it was offered etc etc', although true, doesn't disguise the fact that hes opted out of competing against the best and achieving real glory.

Allant1981
28-07-2019, 08:07 AM
Is there anything you can buy earning £300M over a lifetime that you can't with £200M?

I'm almost playing devil's advocate here because I absolutely get the temptation but when you get into the realms of mega money the disparity is arguably different from me taking a job on £50K a year as opposed to £35K despite the numerically larger sum involved.

I'll tell you when I win the euro millions!! But in all honesty probably not but people will always want more money. If I was him I'd also probably take it. I read he doesnt enjoy football that much so it wont bother him where he plays now

judas
28-07-2019, 08:10 AM
Fxxxxxg thread titles.

For a while I thought Big Ron had made a bid.

JimBHibees
28-07-2019, 08:15 AM
That's not the point, in my opinion. Bale is one of a cluster of players who are massively talented but just under the level of the true greats like Ronaldo and Messi (and Modric, to a certain extent), who have that obsessive drive to keep striving to be the best and win at the highest level. Bales life choices show he doesn't have that same obsessive drive, and yeah 'fair play, he's earned his cash, you wouldn't turn it down if it was offered etc etc', although true, doesn't disguise the fact that hes opted out of competing against the best and achieving real glory.

Tend to agree think he should have come back to the EPL for a couple of seasons then he could move to China. Absolutely get the temptation financially however think as a player who should have made a better decision. Although he has been at Real and has an impressive list of trophies in the majority of these he has very much been a peripheral player. No idea when he last played a full season.

Scouse Hibee
28-07-2019, 08:23 AM

That’s just your opinion, folk have different targets in life, he could quote what he has already achieved in regards to winning things in the game and state that he has fulfilled his ambitions and therefore is taking it easy.

Radium
28-07-2019, 08:28 AM
Fxxxxxg thread titles.

For a while I thought Big Ron had made a bid.

Unfortunately we just can’t compete with £100 per minute contracts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danhibees1875
28-07-2019, 08:50 AM

Totally agree. :agree:

Once you get up to those levels of teams paying those sums of money then the lure of more money just doesn't hold as much weight I don't think. Or maybe it's easier to think that way until you're earning it and spending it, then it's all about the move to China to buy an extra yacht etc. :dunno:

AgentDaleCooper
28-07-2019, 09:18 AM

not true.

Allant1981
28-07-2019, 09:52 AM
not true.

Most people would not give up the opportunity to earn 150 million pounds to kick a ball about

neil7908
28-07-2019, 10:24 AM
Most people would not give up the opportunity to earn 150 million pounds to kick a ball about

That isn't a fair comparison though. Of course right now in my average paying job I'd bite my right arm off to earn that money playing football.

But we're mot not talking about me. Bale will already have made £100m+ in his career. He's won the Champions League an incredible number of times but his overall medal count isn't huge.

Honestly if I was in his position I wouldn't be moving to China at 30. I'd take the £200k-£300k per week someone like PSG or Bayern would offer and win some more trophies whilst I still can. As other posters have pointed out, the extra money is pretty much meaningless when you already have so much cash.

He hasn't adapted to the lifestyle in Spain, I can't imagine him enjoying China. He'll have decades to country history money but only a very short window to play football at a high level.

jacomo
28-07-2019, 10:50 AM
Totally agree. :agree:

Once you get up to those levels of teams paying those sums of money then the lure of more money just doesn't hold as much weight I don't think. Or maybe it's easier to think that way until you're earning it and spending it, then it's all about the move to China to buy an extra yacht etc. :dunno:

Depends what your ambitions are of course.

That kind of money could do many positive things for many people - sadly, it probably won’t, but imagine if, say, Bale put the bulk of it into a Foundation to create better sporting facilities across Wales? That would be some legacy.

An American billionaire hedge fund manager is giving away all his wealth save $20m, because he says $20m will provide any lifestyle you want and anything more is pointless.

Why own a half a dozen homes when you can only live in one? Why buy a super yacht when you can charter any boat you want, any time you like?

Unfortunately, the accumulation of wealth becomes a neurotic obsession for the already wealthy - they tend to think you can never have enough.

Squealing pig
28-07-2019, 11:56 AM
Don’t know the standard of football in China but I’m guessing he won’t be in a hurry to retire there

Allant1981
28-07-2019, 12:20 PM
Madrid have apparently cancelled the deal, crazy situation going on there

Lago
28-07-2019, 12:32 PM
Apparently leaving Real Madrid to join a Chinese team for a reported £1 million a week.

Crazy or what.

Frankly it's obscene

Frank Moon
28-07-2019, 01:16 PM
The Spanish newspaper Marca saying Bale has delayed his decision until 31st July as his family don’t want him to go and prefer he stays in Europe if possible.

Here’s Lucy!
28-07-2019, 05:24 PM
Real Madrid are now scuppering the deal.

Lago
28-07-2019, 06:19 PM
Strange situation

Northernhibee
28-07-2019, 06:56 PM
What a ****show of a club Real are. He wants to go, Zidane wants him to go, absolutely dreadful way to treat a player.