PDA

View Full Version : SHC - John Park/Falkirk

Oscar T Grouch
26-07-2019, 12:55 PM
John Park has been announced as director of football at Falkirk and Falkirk are also being bought over and having a 7 figure sum invested. I suppose the club has great potential and given their current position they will never be cheaper too buy than now. It's be interesting to see how this pans out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49129407

SouthMoroccoStu
26-07-2019, 12:57 PM
Shame

I always liked John Park

Billy Whizz
26-07-2019, 12:59 PM
John Park has been announced as director of football at Falkirk and Falkirk are also being bought over and having a 7 figure sum invested. I suppose the club has great potential and given their current position they will never be cheaper too buy than now. It's be interesting to see how this pans out.

Much as a lot on here don’t like Falkirk, they are a decent sized club who could hold their own in the Premiership. They would also bring bigger crowds to ER than the likes of Hamilton, County and St Johnstone
It’s also only a 30 min drive for most

I wish them well!

Oscar T Grouch
26-07-2019, 01:03 PM
Much as a lot on here don’t like Falkirk, they are a decent sized club who could hold their own in the Premiership. They would also bring bigger crowds to ER than the likes of Hamilton, County and St Johnstone

I wish them well!

That's the way I am thinking Billy. Hated them when we were competing with them but it is sad to see a decent club in the 3rd tier. We know that JP can spot a good player, he may find that persuading them to ply their trade in League one is difficult. I also have a mate who's a ST holder and I feel for him too.

Hibeesmad
26-07-2019, 01:16 PM
Hopefully they fail to get promoted which leads to liquidation.

Diclonius
26-07-2019, 01:32 PM
Good. I like Falkirk, one of my local teams.

iwasthere1972
26-07-2019, 01:41 PM
I wish him and Falkirk well. Never really hated them but they weren't my favourites when that ex-Jambo twat Peter Houston managed them. Always moaning about us havng a bigger budget. Paul Hartley then came along at the back of him. Well he only got the job because Falkirk were skint and the tracksuit etc that Peter Houston left behind only had to be altered slightly as the initials were the same. If Paul Heckingbottom had been looking for a job at the time then that could have been the one. :greengrin

Onceinawhile
26-07-2019, 01:45 PM
"ex-celtic scout" :rolleyes:

It's strange, Falkirk are no smaller in terms of attendances than Dunfermline or Raith, yet I can remember both of them in the top flight and not Falkirk.

The only good thing Falkirk have ever done is beat hearts 4-0 imo.

iwasthere1972
26-07-2019, 01:47 PM

It's strange, Falkirk are no smaller in terms of attendances than Dunfermline or Raith, yet I can remember both of them in the top flight and not Falkirk.

Yes that was enjoyable. Must have been January 2003 or thereabouts in the cup. Samuels rings a bell. Think we knocked Dundee United out the cup that day.

Since452
26-07-2019, 01:50 PM
Never minded Falkirk. Actually have a bit of a soft spot for them. I remember them absolutely battering Hearts in the Scottish Cup semi at Ibrox the year Hearts won it. Wee crunchie was unplayable that day. Sure he was in tears at the end when Hearts somehow won. Also Loved Brockville back in the day.

JeMeSouviens
26-07-2019, 01:53 PM

If being a bottom 6 relegation avoider playing in a half built stadium in front of 3 men and a dog is great, then yes. :greengrin

Onceinawhile
26-07-2019, 02:02 PM
If being a bottom 6 relegation avoider playing in a half built stadium in front of 3 men and a dog is great, then yes. :greengrin

Now, now.

3/4 built.

BigKev
26-07-2019, 02:06 PM
Any investment in Scottish football should be welcomed. If this guy is willing to back Falkirk with a few million then that's good for the game.

John Park is also a shrewd appointment.

JeMeSouviens
26-07-2019, 02:14 PM
Now, now.

3/4 built.

Fair point.

chrisski33
26-07-2019, 02:16 PM
Whether folk lie falkirk or not getting park in is a good piece if business and a big statement. Would have been good to have park back at hibs if our new owner is keen on developing youth

Michael
26-07-2019, 02:22 PM

Had many frustrating games against Falkirk under Mowbray.

Since452
26-07-2019, 02:26 PM
Can only be good for Scottish football. The more genuine investment in clubs the better.

Onceinawhile
26-07-2019, 02:28 PM
Had many frustrating games against Falkirk under Mowbray.

You are quite right. The 06/07 season. For some reason it slipped my mind that Falkirk were in the top league, especially given that around them would have been that infamous 3-2 game with Freeland as the referee!

Franck Stanton
26-07-2019, 02:28 PM
Last time they were at Easter Road, there was more fight in their moronic support than in their team.

MikeyS
26-07-2019, 02:53 PM
Whether folk lie falkirk or not getting park in is a good piece if business and a big statement. Would have been good to have park back at hibs if our new owner is keen on developing youth

Think you might be getting your 'Park's' mixed up. Donald was the one who brought on the like of Deek, GOC, Broon etc..

hibstag
26-07-2019, 03:00 PM

I wish them well!

hence their bigger travelling support that Ross County

having grown up in the highlands, I just don't get why people dismiss the highland teams so much when comparing them to established (under performing) central belt teams or never include them in their ideal SPFL line ups. they have both earned the right to be at the top end of the league structure whilst a lot of clubs have treaded water.

we are hibs
26-07-2019, 03:26 PM
You are quite right. The 06/07 season. For some reason it slipped my mind that Falkirk were in the top league, especially given that around them would have been that infamous 3-2 game with Freeland as the referee!

That Freeland game was 1-0 falkirk. Never thought I would see something as scandalous as that refereeing performance again then along came Griffiths free kick v hearts... then the falkirk handball... then the Ollie Shaw goal v hearts

EI255
26-07-2019, 03:29 PM
The whole thing will be easier said than done. And, like us, it's unlikely that the new owner will splash out. Don't see FFC being in the top flight any time soon tbh.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

The 90+2
26-07-2019, 03:33 PM
Great appointment. You top man.

Onceinawhile
26-07-2019, 03:44 PM
That Freeland game was 1-0 falkirk. Never thought I would see something as scandalous as that refereeing performance again then along came Griffiths free kick v hearts... then the falkirk handball... then the Ollie Shaw goal v hearts

I'm having a mare here!:agree:

Future17
26-07-2019, 04:01 PM
Think you might be getting your 'Park's' mixed up. Donald was the one who brought on the like of Deek, GOC, Broon etc..

John Park was Head of Youth Development or similar for Hibs around the mid 00s.

Billy Whizz
26-07-2019, 05:30 PM
Hopefully they fail to get promoted which leads to liquidation.
Entitled to your opinion, but consider the facts...,

Falkirk are a club who didn’t throw money on getting sporting success, and haven’t used admin as a way of getting out of paying for their failures

Unlike Dundee twice, Airdrie, Livingston, Motherwell twice, Dunfermline and Hearts, to name a few recent ones, who spent money on players they generally couldn’t afford, and tried to buy success, and went into admin!

Not forgetting the team who died in 2012 for using money they didn’t have either!

erin go bragh
26-07-2019, 08:45 PM

Nah , the Freeland game was a 3-2 defeat by Falkirk . Worst refereeing performance against us I can remember. Yogi was the then Falkirk manager .
Don’t mind Falkirk , it was that fud Houston I couldn’t stomach.

we are hibs
26-07-2019, 08:50 PM
Nah , the Freeland game was a 3-2 defeat by Falkirk . Worst refereeing performance against us I can remember. Yogi was the then Falkirk manager .
Don’t mind Falkirk , it was that fud Houston I couldn’t stomach.

No it wasn't. It was a 1-0 defeat early on in the 2006/07 season. The 3-2 was the season previous.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/5369306.stm

IberianHibernian
26-07-2019, 09:28 PM
This could be the start of something very big at Falkirk . They have got a big support despite being between Glasgow and Edinburgh . John Park has worked at Celtic and with us when we were paying a lot of money for players , working in a different transfer market from now . Looking only at the Spanish market which I know a bit about , when John Park was with Hibs we were making serious enquiries about players who were getting offers from clubs in second and even first division . 2 years ago I was told " we have a wide scouting network in Spain " but don`t seem to sign anyone from Spanish clubs . If John Park can use all the contacts he must have to sign players from other countries not just lower divisions in England and they go back to playing the Sibbalds etc of before and team start winning they will get bigger crowds than all but top 7 in Scotland and maybe even better .

eastmainsmsh
26-07-2019, 09:30 PM
the worst thing falkirk did was stop the academy

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-07-2019, 09:36 PM
This could be the start of something very big at Falkirk . They have got a big support despite being between Glasgow and Edinburgh . John Park has worked at Celtic and with us when we were paying a lot of money for players , working in a different transfer market from now . Looking only at the Spanish market which I know a bit about , when John Park was with Hibs we were making serious enquiries about players who were getting offers from clubs in second and even first division . 2 years ago I was told " we have a wide scouting network in Spain " but don`t seem to sign anyone from Spanish clubs . If John Park can use all the contacts he must have to sign players from other countries not just lower divisions in England and they go back to playing the Sibbalds etc of before and team start winning they will get bigger crowds than all but top 7 in Scotland and maybe even better .

Is that not similar to the model tried by Steve Archibald at Airdrie that was not exactly a huge success?

Purple & Green
26-07-2019, 10:59 PM
the worst thing falkirk did was stop the academy

Dismantled the infrastructure - I’m guessing the plan for this season is well - is it to build it up again?

Do they have a reserve side? Do they have a development team? Do they have any youth teams?

If they don’t, what exactly is john park going to do? Scout half a dozen players a season? To get out of the part time league?

On another note - I thought hearts had chucked the reserve league, but they seem not to have.

givescotlandfreedom
26-07-2019, 11:56 PM
I'll admit. Total fuds in the championship and my pettiness lives on. Screw them.

Mibbes Aye
27-07-2019, 12:47 AM
I have never been as soaked to the bone as I have been at Brockville. One trip in the mid nineties was Biblical. Getting in, being there and getting out was just a trap to pour as much water on a Hibs fan as was physically possible.

i have also never seen us concede a worse goal anywhere else. Some Falkirk fud booted the ball down our right wing, some other Falkirk fud went lumbering after it, Super Joe only needed to stand up to his man but went for a kamikaze tackle just inside our half. The Falkirk fud skipped over it, ran down the wing and squared it for their runner to slot in. While it was pouring down rain on us. In Biblical proportions.

Some days it is hard not to hate Hibs :greengrin

BigKev
27-07-2019, 07:59 AM
The guy buying them was trying to buy Sunderland and still has interest in doing so.

Good to see guys with a few dollars investing in our game.