PDA

View Full Version : Guardian getting their facts wrong?

hstn747
25-07-2019, 02:27 PM
Were we not the first top flight club in the UK to have a shirt sponsor?

Peevemor
25-07-2019, 02:30 PM

Was it not ourselves and Newcastle at the same time?

Moulin Yarns
25-07-2019, 02:32 PM

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/heritage/the-home-kit

MrSmith
25-07-2019, 02:33 PM
I remember around 77/78 we had Bukta on our tops. TV companies refused to televise our games because of it.

/\ /\ /\ just beat me :D

madsen5
25-07-2019, 02:35 PM
I remember around 77/78 we had Bukta on our tops. TV companies refused to televise our games because of it.

Think we were first.

Peevemor
25-07-2019, 02:35 PM

Which is when we brought out the iconic purple strip - to wear for televised matches. The commentators would then speak about why we weren't wearing our normal strips, meaning that the advertising was still "advertised".

MrSmith
25-07-2019, 02:39 PM
I loved the Bukta strip. I Had the green strip but when my mum put it through the wash, it lost 50% of the Bukta logo. I also had the yellow strip with the green shorts and yellow socks.

green with envy
25-07-2019, 02:40 PM
Was it not ourselves and Newcastle at the same time?

I always thought we were the first on our own right.

JimBHibees
25-07-2019, 02:43 PM
I always thought we were the first on our own right.

Definitely were IMO.

brog
25-07-2019, 02:43 PM
There was an English non league club beat us by about 2 years. We were definitely 1st in Scotland & possibly 1st senior club in UK.

brog
25-07-2019, 02:50 PM
There was an English non league club beat us by about 2 years. We were definitely 1st in Scotland & possibly 1st senior club in UK.

It was Kettering Town with Derek Dougan as chairman. The HHT article actually states this.

hstn747
25-07-2019, 02:55 PM
It was Kettering Town with Derek Dougan as chairman. The HHT article actually states this.

The bit in the image I've attached says Derby had shirt sponsors first but after the pre-season squad pictures they disappeared. We were then first to wear a sponsored top in shame.

CockneyRebel
25-07-2019, 03:20 PM
The bit in the image I've attached says Derby had shirt sponsors first but after the pre-season squad pictures they disappeared. We were then first to wear a sponsored top in shame.

You need to send that image to the Guardian researchers.

Renfrew_Hibby
25-07-2019, 03:32 PM
The article states Liverpool were the first top flight club to have a sponsored shirt.
Since the article is clearly referring to top flight English football then there is nothing incorrect in the piece.

cocteautwin
25-07-2019, 03:37 PM
The Bukta strip was my first ever Hibs top. Made of waffle nylon that made your nipples bleed after a PE class outside in the portobello rain and the v neck was so low you could almost see the aforementioned nipples. The rubbery Bukta logo on the chest started to fall off after a few washes and if you pulled a thread on the Bukta flashes down the sleeve the pull extended all the way down each arm. First day I wore it to school I got jumped by two jambo class mates and nearly got my head kicked in but was saved by the fact that most classmates were Hibees.

Great times being a 9 year old.

JimBHibees
25-07-2019, 03:44 PM
The article states Liverpool were the first top flight club to have a sponsored shirt.
Since the article is clearly referring to top flight English football then there is nothing incorrect in the piece.

It mentions first top flight deal in the UK

ancient hibee
25-07-2019, 03:51 PM

Since the article clearly states "in the UK" then it is incorrect.

mjh
25-07-2019, 04:12 PM
Article mentions first in UK - OP is bang on !

Captain Trips
25-07-2019, 04:17 PM
You would have thought it would have been Hearts.

Scouse Hibee
25-07-2019, 04:18 PM
Liverpool Football Club were the first professional English football club to finalise a shirt sponsorship deal and have a sponsor's logo emblazoned on their kit.
In 1979, the Reds agreed to a deal with Japanese electronic giants Hitachi and a famous Liverpool kit was born and history made.
At that time the Liverpool kit was manufactured by Umbro, the English sports brand and this association with Umbro continued until 1985 when Adidas provided Liverpool's kits.
Since then the Anfield giants have had Crown Paints, Candy, Carlsberg and Standard Chartered on the front of their shirts.
The deal with Carlsberg was agreed in 1992 and ended in 2010, thereby bringing to an end the longest shirt sponsorship in English footballing history.

Mibbes Aye
25-07-2019, 04:35 PM
Don’t know the answer to this, hence the post.

Technically, Bukta were the shirt manufacturer were they not? So they had their name in big letters on the top but they weren’t specifically the sponsor, they were the kit maker?

Moulin Yarns
25-07-2019, 04:55 PM
Don’t know the answer to this, hence the post.

Technically, Bukta were the shirt manufacturer were they not? So they had their name in big letters on the top but they weren’t specifically the sponsor, they were the kit maker?

Bukta was across the front as sponsors are now.

https://images.app.goo.gl/opLMbSqyp2Xws35SA

Mibbes Aye
25-07-2019, 05:31 PM
Bukta was across the front as sponsors are now.

https://images.app.goo.gl/opLMbSqyp2Xws35SA

I know, I’ve got the purple top myself. Thing of beauty..

My point is was the big Bukta emblazon just there as they were the kit maker, rather than an actual sponsor?

Keith_M
25-07-2019, 05:39 PM

No, just in Scotland

tamig
25-07-2019, 11:30 PM
I loved the Bukta strip. I Had the green strip but when my mum put it through the wash, it lost 50% of the Bukta logo. I also had the yellow strip with the green shorts and yellow socks.

I had all three. There was some static running through that yellow one 😀

Keith_M
26-07-2019, 07:27 AM
I think the answer to the OP's question hinges on whether a lot of people in England are aware that the UK and England are not actually one and the same.

The article says England, the sub headline says UK. The article writer is correct, the sub-headline writer is an idiot.

Aim Here
26-07-2019, 10:27 AM
No, just in Scotland

You sure? The Bukta kit came out in 1977. Liverpool is generally credited with being the first top-flight English club to play a league game wearing a sponsored shirt, in 1979. There were lower-league English clubs with sponsored shirts that preceded Liverpool.

hibeerealist
26-07-2019, 10:54 AM

Hibs / Bukta FIRST in UK.

Keith_M
26-07-2019, 11:42 AM
You sure? The Bukta kit came out in 1977. Liverpool is generally credited with being the first top-flight English club to play a league game wearing a sponsored shirt, in 1979. There were lower-league English clubs with sponsored shirts that preceded Liverpool.

If you restrict it to clubs in the top league of their country, then Hibs were first.

There was definitely one lower league English team that did it before Hibs.