PDA

View Full Version : Scotland's Clubs on the rise

CMurdoch
24-07-2019, 10:48 PM
Celtic's win tonight see's Scotland leapfrog Switzerland into 19th place in the UEFA coefficient for European club competition.
We are now closing in on Serbia and Croatia with Matt Johnson's The The likely to win at home tomorrow night to add another 0.250 of a point to our total (Aberdeen are playing in Georgia, where it will be brutally warm).

Scotland started the season in 20th position which gave Scottish teams 1 place in the Champions League qualifying rounds and 3 places in the Europa League qualifying rounds
Countries placed between 7th and 15th get 2 Champions League qualifying places as well as the above 3 Europa League places. In essence an extra club in Europe.

The final ranking at the end of the 2019–20 season will be used to determine the number of places for each association in the 2021–22 UEFA Champions League, the 2021–22 UEFA Europa League and the 2021–22 UEFA Europa League 2.

The The's resurgence along with a wee European run by Hibs saw Scotland move up a load of places last season and it looks like this improvement will be sustained with Scotland cracking the top 15 by the time the league programme starts next season, possibly taking over from the Czech Republic.

Do you think a prolonged period in the top 15 will restore the reputation of Scottish club football in Europe such that our administrators can finally negotiate the TV deals our clubs deserve?

Our case has never been stronger given that our top league currently has and will continue to have the 7th highest average attendances of all European leagues trailing only the 4 Uber Leagues as well as the French and the Dutch leagues.

Additionally, can this 5th European place, once gained, see Hibs playing European football every season given our financial stability and almost complete infrastructure?

CMurdoch
24-07-2019, 11:20 PM
The new 5 year Sky deal kicks in the season after this. Scottish football will receive £26 million a season which is about 20% better than we currently get but it still seems a bit paltry when for example Denmark's current deal of £46 million a season.

However, comparisons to deals signed by other leagues around Europe is also not as cut and dry as it seems. I recently learned that in Sweden, where almost all games are broadcast, they get a much bigger seasonal fee but when you do the maths it works out at an average of around £100,000 per game. The new Scottish deal delivers around £540,000 for each match covered. We want a big TV deal but we also want the money and atmosphere that bums on seats brings.

As usual it is good to know all the facts before comparing contracts, which we generally don't, before going off on one :agree:.

hhibs
25-07-2019, 05:08 AM
The new 5 year Sky deal kicks in the season after this. Scottish football will receive £26 million a season which is about 20% better than we currently get but it still seems a bit paltry when for example Denmark's current deal of £46 million a season.

However, comparisons to deals signed by other leagues around Europe is also not as cut and dry as it seems. I recently learned that in Sweden, where almost all games are broadcast, they get a much bigger seasonal fee but when you do the maths it works out at an average of around £100,000 per game. The new Scottish deal delivers around £540,000 for each match covered. We want a big TV deal but we also want the money and atmosphere that bums on seats brings.

As usual it is good to know all the facts before comparing contracts, which we generally don't, before going off on one :agree:.

I missed all this,I did not know a deal for SPFL tv rights had been done,really thought there was real chance of a much improved deal,very disappointed in that deal.

Mixu62
25-07-2019, 05:33 AM

Do we know how the money from this deal will be split? Will it be spread fairly or will the usual suspects expect the biggest share as usual? Which will make it utterly academic how much more money is involved.

ScottB
25-07-2019, 06:01 AM
The TV Deal domestically likely has absolutely zip to do with European performance. One more team invariably getting knocked out in the umpteen qualifying rounds isn’t going to do much for our reputation internationally. I suppose if several Scottish teams started managing runs beyond the group stages on a consistent basis that might drive some interest, but is that likely?

Ultimately, there’s not some secret pot of money we’re being denied, our rights reflect the level of demand for them. Hell, it wasn’t long ago we had just the one broadcaster bidding, it’s hard to negotiate from a position of strength in such circumstances. What’s the level of demand to watch live Scottish football in the UK? Out with a handful of headline games, what’s the interest? How many would pay to watch St Mirren take on Livi?

This is all made worse by being in the same broadcast market as the English Premier League. Wouldn’t be a surprise if some of their games, or even Match of the Day, pull in more viewers north of the border than our own coverage.

BILLYHIBS
25-07-2019, 06:32 AM
I wonder how much the ill advised Roger Mitchell SPL TV deal and telling Sky to “do one” has cost us over the years ?

Since452
25-07-2019, 07:29 AM
I wonder how much the ill advised Roger Mitchell SPL TV deal and telling Sky to “do one” has cost us over the years ?

Frightening to think

California-Hibs
25-07-2019, 07:45 AM
Again shows why its important for our clubs to do well in Europe. I was gutted by Killies shock exit but hopefully Aberdeen do well. Getting into the top 15 again and having extra places generating more money being a more attractive league, is only a good thing and will see our game go from strength to strength.

Sammy7nil
25-07-2019, 10:54 AM
Celtic's win tonight see's Scotland leapfrog Switzerland into 19th place in the UEFA coefficient for European club competition.
We are now closing in on Serbia and Croatia with Matt Johnson's The The likely to win at home tomorrow night to add another 0.250 of a point to our total (Aberdeen are playing in Georgia, where it will be brutally warm).

Scotland started the season in 20th position which gave Scottish teams 1 place in the Champions League qualifying rounds and 3 places in the Europa League qualifying rounds
Countries placed between 7th and 15th get 2 Champions League qualifying places as well as the above 3 Europa League places. In essence an extra club in Europe.

The final ranking at the end of the 2019–20 season will be used to determine the number of places for each association in the 2021–22 UEFA Champions League, the 2021–22 UEFA Europa League and the 2021–22 UEFA Europa League 2.

The The's resurgence along with a wee European run by Hibs saw Scotland move up a load of places last season and it looks like this improvement will be sustained with Scotland cracking the top 15 by the time the league programme starts next season, possibly taking over from the Czech Republic.

Do you think a prolonged period in the top 15 will restore the reputation of Scottish club football in Europe such that our administrators can finally negotiate the TV deals our clubs deserve?

Our case has never been stronger given that our top league currently has and will continue to have the 7th highest average attendances of all European leagues trailing only the 4 Uber Leagues as well as the French and the Dutch leagues.

Additionally, can this 5th European place, once gained, see Hibs playing European football every season given our financial stability and almost complete infrastructure?

The answer to that is a no. We will continue to have good, average and bad seasons we can only hope the number of good seasons increase.

Crab apple
25-07-2019, 11:16 AM

He has a lot to answer for. His recent twitter ramblings demonstrate he really wasn't the man for the job.

hibbie02
25-07-2019, 12:03 PM

Does BT Sport not contribute too, or will the new Sky deal cut them out?

greenlad
25-07-2019, 12:38 PM
Does BT Sport not contribute too, or will the new Sky deal cut them out?

No BT Sport involvement in Scottish football after this season. Sky Sports has exclusive live league rights and Premier Sports has exclusive rights to the League Cup and first pick for the Scottish Cup as at present.

BILLYHIBS
25-07-2019, 12:40 PM
No BT Sport involvement in Scottish football after this season. Sky Sports has exclusive live league rights and Premier Sports has exclusive rights to the League Cup and first pick for the Scottish Cup as at present.
Is that after 2019/20?

CMurdoch
25-07-2019, 01:59 PM
Is that after 2019/20?

Yeah this is the last season of the BT deal

HibeeHibernian4
25-07-2019, 02:24 PM
I missed all this,I did not know a deal for SPFL tv rights had been done,really thought there was real chance of a much improved deal,very disappointed in that deal.

People compare our league to other countries in Europe, but these countries completely give up their weekend schedule of football in order to get their extra money.

Looking at Denmark's eight top flight football fixtures for this weekend:
- 1 Friday 7pm game
- 1 Saturday 5:30pm game
- 1 Sunday 12pm game
- 1 Sunday 2pm game
- 1 Sunday 4pm game
- 1 Sunday 6pm game
- 1 Monday 7pm game

If our league fixtures were scheduled like that (for the sake of about an extra £15-20m in TV revenue), there'd be uproar and quite rightly so.

Billy Whizz
25-07-2019, 02:27 PM
People compare our league to other countries in Europe, but these countries completely give up their weekend schedule of football in order to get their extra money.

- 1 Friday 7pm game
- 1 Sunday 12pm game
- 1 Sunday 2pm game
- 1 Sunday 4pm game
- 1 Sunday 6pm game
- 1 Monday 7pm game

If our league fixtures were scheduled like that (for the sake of about an extra £15-20m in TV revenue), there'd be uproar and quite rightly so.

And would be loads of empty seats too

CMurdoch
25-07-2019, 02:30 PM
The answer to that is a no. We will continue to have good, average and bad seasons we can only hope the number of good seasons increase.

I can't see us finishing worse than 5th for the foreseeable future.
Starting last summer we have moved away from bringing in only out of contract players and we are now bringing in better quality.
Not top quality but better quality.
Mallan and Horgan probably came in last summer for transfer fees of £200k each
Doidge this summer for £250-275k
Next summer we will be looking to improve the quality again but from a stronger base.

The way things are moving i can't see worse seasons for Hibs than 5th or sadly a better season than 3rd.
Kilmarnock may manage one more decent before going back into the bottom 6 pack
Hibs, Hearts & Aberdeen will be in the 3rd to 5th fight every season now and in a couple of seasons that will mean certain European football for all 3.
The only risk factors are Leanne moving on, Ron not wanting to spend or doing something naughty and crowds falling if our switherers get bored with 3rd to 5th every season.

CMurdoch
25-07-2019, 02:37 PM

- 1 Friday 7pm game
- 1 Sunday 12pm game
- 1 Sunday 2pm game
- 1 Sunday 4pm game
- 1 Sunday 6pm game
- 1 Monday 7pm game

Average attendances at Danish top league matches was only 6,500 last season compared to an average of 16,000 for matches in our league.
Not doing the sums but our model of high attendances and lower TV money is much healthier and will hold up if the TV cash cow eventually ****s itself.

HibeeHibernian4
25-07-2019, 02:44 PM
Average attendances at Danish top league matches was only 6,500 last season compared to an average of 16,000 for matches in our league.
Not doing the sums but our model of high attendances and lower TV money is much healthier and will hold up if the TV cash cow eventually ****s itself.

Completely agree. :agree:

Wakeyhibee
25-07-2019, 03:14 PM
On the original point, I think we've only got 2 seasons to get back in the top 15 or suffer dropping into a EL2 which I'm sure will mean less money for the teams qualifying for the EL (1 x Champions League guaranteed).

Moulin Yarns
25-07-2019, 04:09 PM
I hear Ojo starts for Aberdeen. Interesting to see what he does.

barcahibs
25-07-2019, 09:10 PM
Always delighted to see any other Scottish club pumped out of Europe to be honest.

Scottish clubs are our rivals why would we want to see them win anything? I couldn't care less what some random person in Wales or Georgia thinks about Scottish football - I'll hazard a guess that they think about our football as often as I think about theirs... Never.

It was hilarious to see Killie going out to a part time side but bitterly disappointing that celtc and sevco let us down - though hopefully still time for a good humiliation for them. I guess that's the football roller-coaster that keeps us all interested.

We should be aiming to qualify for European football through our own performances not hoping some coefficient formula makes it easier.

Stevie Reid
25-07-2019, 09:16 PM
Yeah this is the last season of the BT deal

Whilst the extra money is welcome, the loss of BT’s coverage is a sore one. Far superior to Sky and seem to respect the league a lot more.

Sammy7nil
25-07-2019, 09:16 PM
Always delighted to see any other Scottish club pumped out of Europe to be honest.

Scottish clubs are our rivals why would we want to see them win anything? I couldn't care less what some random person in Wales or Georgia thinks about Scottish football - I'll hazard a guess that they think about our football as often as I think about theirs... Never.

It was hilarious to see Killie going out to a part time side but bitterly disappointing that celtc and sevco let us down - though hopefully still time for a good humiliation for them. I guess that's the football roller-coaster that keeps us all interested.

We should be aiming to qualify for European football through our own performances not hoping some coefficient formula makes it easier.

Well thought out post :rolleyes: yeah let's make it very very hard for Scottish teams who will soon be playing qualifiers in May if we get any worse :greengrin

Ringothedog
25-07-2019, 09:31 PM
Whilst the extra money is welcome, the loss of BT’s coverage is a sore one. Far superior to Sky and seem to respect the league a lot more.

They respected it that much that their bid was lower than Sky’s

Stevie Reid
25-07-2019, 09:34 PM
They respected it that much that their bid was lower than Sky’s

Fair point. Still prefer their coverage though.

Vault Boy
25-07-2019, 09:37 PM
Up the coefficient as far as I'm concerned. Pretty **** from Aberdeen tonight, but it'll probably be enough to get them through. Jumping to 16th would be a great step for the nation.

Montford
25-07-2019, 09:48 PM

Tv deal is worth around £33 million per season with sky. With other sell ons , foreign tv etc, bbc, think it was getting quoted at £39 million per season in total.. nearly double what we’re getting but well below the anticipated £50million plus that any decent negotiator would’ve got

Ozyhibby
25-07-2019, 09:50 PM
Have to agree, the co-efficient is important for Hibs if we want to grow the club through European participation. The money available for qualifying for the group stages is massive for a club our size and would allow us to move away from clubs like Motherwell, Kilmarnock etc.
We need to qualify this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk