PDA

View Full Version : Young Players

Lewiehas2
24-07-2019, 03:02 PM
Thought I'd make a thread specifically focused on our Academy graduates - last night we finished the game with 3 recent ones (Shaw, Murray & Mackie) and none look out of place. Murray in particular looks a great prospect and I'm excited to see how he develops this year. I know Shaw has his detractors but think he's got the potential to be a good striker for us, definitely good enough for our squad and as a home-grown boy we need to support him as much as we can to see if he can make the grade. And Sean Mackie looked good too, albeit slightly poor in the air on a couple of occasions put us under pressure, his positional sense seemed a lot better defensively and having him bomb up the left wing seemed to help Newell have a better game too. Not expecting any of these to be in our strongest 11 this year, but all are more than good enough to be squad players and competition for our starters. Not to mention we have Porteous to come back, also a recent graduate, who I'd expect to be a starter and one of the best prospects I've seen in years, as well as decent showings for Josh Campbell as well - great to see us having a pathway to the first team for our young talent!

I know some people have different opinions on these players and that's fine, but thought I'd focus on the positive of having five recent graduates in our first team squad (with Stevenson & Hanlon there too), and a clear pathway to making the grade under Hecky.

The future looks bright!

:flag:

Onceinawhile
24-07-2019, 03:10 PM
and Whittaker :wink:

SJNB Hibby
24-07-2019, 03:14 PM
With Porteus and Lewis on the sidelines

Lewiehas2
24-07-2019, 03:18 PM

Forgot about Whitty! I'm actually one of the few who rate Whittaker and think he's a valuable member of the squad. Happy to admit that I'm overly positive and most likely a "happy clapper" :greengrin

Since452
24-07-2019, 03:23 PM

Shoooooot

yerauldda
24-07-2019, 03:23 PM
And Hanlon, no?

Lewiehas2
24-07-2019, 03:46 PM
And Hanlon, no?

I did mention Hanlon & Stevenson near the end, was focusing on recent academy graduates but said at the end that they're both in the squad/starting 11 too. Totally forgot about Whittaker though.

JDHibs
24-07-2019, 03:54 PM
Good to see the academy producing, the following will all be in or near the 1st team regularly next season -
Campbell
Stirling
Mackie
Porteous
Shaw
Murray
I. Murray
Dabrowski
Gullan
Galantes

wpj
24-07-2019, 04:06 PM
Good positive post, thank you

truehibernian
24-07-2019, 04:10 PM
Good to see the academy producing, the following will all be in or near the 1st team regularly next season -
Campbell
Stirling
Mackie
Porteous
Shaw
Murray
I. Murray
Dabrowski
Gullan
Galantes

Has a bit to go development wise but he is an exciting talent. Watched him since he was a youngster at trials and that lad has so much natural talent and quick feet. Probably 2 years off the first team but he has all the ability to succeed if he is coached and developed well......like any young (slight) player he needs to work on his physique but I really hope he maintains what he is doing :aok:

SideBurns
24-07-2019, 05:45 PM
Thought I'd make a thread specifically focused on our Academy graduates - last night we finished the game with 3 recent ones (Shaw, Murray & Mackie) and none look out of place. Murray in particular looks a great prospect and I'm excited to see how he develops this year. I know Shaw has his detractors but think he's got the potential to be a good striker for us, definitely good enough for our squad and as a home-grown boy we need to support him as much as we can to see if he can make the grade. And Sean Mackie looked good too, albeit slightly poor in the air on a couple of occasions put us under pressure, his positional sense seemed a lot better defensively and having him bomb up the left wing seemed to help Newell have a better game too. Not expecting any of these to be in our strongest 11 this year, but all are more than good enough to be squad players and competition for our starters. Not to mention we have Porteous to come back, also a recent graduate, who I'd expect to be a starter and one of the best prospects I've seen in years, as well as decent showings for Josh Campbell as well - great to see us having a pathway to the first team for our young talent!

I know some people have different opinions on these players and that's fine, but thought I'd focus on the positive of having five recent graduates in our first team squad (with Stevenson & Hanlon there too), and a clear pathway to making the grade under Hecky.

The future looks bright!

:flag:

The lack of talent who have come through and made a real impact in the last 10 years is a major disappointment to me. I know we were spoiled in the 'Golden Generation' days, but Porteous & (arguably) Spoony are the only success stories of this decade thus far.

It would be brilliant if the likes of Mackie, Murray, Campbell and Shaw reversed that trend. The ability is certainly there with these lads.

Lewiehas2
24-07-2019, 05:49 PM
The lack of talent who have come through and made a real impact in the last 10 years is a major disappointment to me. I know we were spoiled in the 'Golden Generation' days, but Porteous & (arguably) Spoony are the only success stories of this decade thus far.

It would be brilliant if the likes of Mackie, Murray, Campbell and Shaw reversed that trend. The ability is certainly there with these lads.

Agree, think it was partially due to being promoted too early/not great first team sides at the time, obviously some didn't have the required quality/attitude either. Hopefully now we can bring youngsters in when they're ready and play alongside better quality players - I might even have a chance of still making it with Scott Allan in the team :greengrin

truehibernian
24-07-2019, 06:28 PM

Also need to factor in Donald Park (great coach) and the fact they had (and trained alongside) top players like Sauzee, Zitelli and Latapy. That would always inspire a young player. We were lucky with that crop but they also had great coaching and inspirations.

SideBurns
24-07-2019, 06:40 PM
Also need to factor in Donald Park (great coach) and the fact they had (and trained alongside) top players like Sauzee, Zitelli and Latapy. That would always inspire a young player. We were lucky with that crop but they also had great coaching and inspirations.

Aye, very true.

wookie70
25-07-2019, 08:17 AM
The current crop of Mackie, Porteous and Murray seem a good deal more physical than Sam Stanton and Harris so that might make a difference. Some good signs at the moment with development players coming through and it would make a massive difference if we had 1 or 2 come through every couple of years and become first team regulars. Porteous if he comes back as good as before his injury will definitely feature and Fraser Murray looks like he has a great future. If Mackie can get a bit better defensively, the signs are good, then we might have a challenger for left back and a different option to Lewis. I get the feeling Heck improves players much like Stubbs so hopefully we see the current youngsters getting better and better

James Stephen
25-07-2019, 09:10 AM
I think Fraser Murray has looked the real deal this pre season - i know it's only pre season and standard of opposition is low, but he looks (both physically and in his play) to have matured.

Agree also with the above comment about Hecky - i get the sense that he relishes the challenge of improving players so hopefully will enjoy bringing some young players through.

Another point though - there are wonderkids like Riordan and Brown whose talent will always mean that they play at a higher level.

But there are also the more slow burn players, who while not instantly as brilliant, have enough of something about them to keep developing and while they maybe won't be sold and make the club millions, they can be stalwarts of the team, important both on the park for continuity and also off it for maintaining that link to the fans. Lewey and Hanlon are the two best examples, but I can't help but think had Witherspoon circumstances been different, he could have been another.

franck sauzee
25-07-2019, 09:39 AM
Forgot about Whitty! I'm actually one of the few who rate Whittaker and think he's a valuable member of the squad. Happy to admit that I'm overly positive and most likely a "happy clapper" :greengrin

He's not as good a player as we were expecting coming from Norwich but I don't think anyone can fault his effort. Feel there are a fair few vocal supporters just waiting for him to make a mistake and moan about him no matter how well he's playing in the game. He's solid enough cover for 2-3 positions

J-C
25-07-2019, 09:56 AM
I think you're seeing the benefit of Eddie May coming through. Previously we had good technical players but lacked the physicality to succeed at our level, May hardens them up more, hitting the gym and being more professional.

500miles
25-07-2019, 09:27 PM
Murray will be this seasons Turnbull. He tore up the league Cup early stages under Lennon too. He's got it.

where'stheslope
26-07-2019, 10:13 AM
Great to see all this young talent coming through, as we all know some will not make the grade, but for those who do they are getting a good grounding in professional football!
The thought of coming through the ranks to play for the first team, has to be the best feeling ever, they may not all be Hibs fans, but after getting to the first team they will be steeped in Hibernian Culture forever!!!!!

Tug Wilson
26-07-2019, 10:25 AM
With the new owner's stated aim of turning the Academy into the best in the country then expect to see more of the youth players being brought through.

Think Heckingbottom is an ideal manager for this.

However the fans will have to be more patient and forgiving than they have shown in recent times.

Too many ready to write off a youngster on the basis of a few appearances. Then we see an agenda set where these fans berate the young players just to back up their point of view.

Actually that happens with all players at Hibs. See Newell!