PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen Cut Away Allocation

Frazerbob
24-07-2019, 11:32 AM
After consultations with Police Scotland, Aberdeen have decided to cut the away ticket allocation from 2088 to 1662 to enable a larger segregation area.

Since452
24-07-2019, 11:34 AM
After consultations with Police Scotland, Aberdeen have decided to cut the away ticket allocation from 2088 to 1662 to enable a larger segregation area.

Christ, there'll be more seagulls than fans there on match day

Carheenlea
24-07-2019, 11:41 AM

With a large fence and a couple of rails separating the fans it isn’t really necessary to even police the segregation area. Don’t see what they are going to achieve. May well be that the fence won’t impede as many fans view of the pitch, but it doesn’t really offer away fans much of a better view in the worst sight line of any visitors section in the league.

1van Sprou7e
24-07-2019, 11:41 AM
Sitting next to the segregation fence was an incredibly uncomfortable experience due to the behaviour of both sets of fans. Not even intimidating sort of stuff, it's just embarrassing and cringeworthy

Hopefully see less of that now

Frazerbob
24-07-2019, 11:43 AM
With a large fence and a couple of rails separating the fans it isn’t really necessary to even police the segregation area. Don’t see what they are going to achieve. May well be that the fence won’t impede as many fans view of the pitch, but it doesn’t really offer away fans much of a better view in the worst sight line of any visitors section in the league.

Been quite a few incidents of things being thrown, seats, smoke bombs etc.
Sevco fans mostly, obviously. Worst equal away end with Celtic IMO.

JXM73
24-07-2019, 11:44 AM
we should cut theirs accordingly, no as if it's the mighty green or blue pound - though we should give them same allocation percentage they give us - if only hibs fans had turned up when they had the chance last year

Carheenlea
24-07-2019, 11:45 AM
Been quite a few incidents of things being thrown, seats, smoke bombs etc.
Sevco fans mostly, obviously. Worst equal away end with Celtic IMO.

Ah, I thought the fence went right up like ours used to in the old East during the terrace days. :aok:

Since452
24-07-2019, 11:46 AM
I've seen us take maybe two supports exceeding 1500 up there in my lifetime. Will only impact the Glasgow teams

Renfrew_Hibby
24-07-2019, 11:47 AM
That number of seats roughly equates to a section in our South lower.

Fences may keep fans apart but hopefully this large gap with minimise the risks from flying seats, coins or Buckie bottles.

Scouse Hibee
24-07-2019, 11:49 AM
we should cut theirs accordingly, no as if it's the mighty green or blue pound - though we should give them same allocation percentage they give us - if only hibs fans had turned up when they had the chance last year

:confused: Why cut their allocation if we don't need to, no need for silly tit for tat behavior, they have explained why.

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-07-2019, 11:51 AM
Makes no sense at all. IIRC Pittodrie has a capacity of 22,000 . Have we been close to that? The issue is that there are home and away supporters only separated by a fence , so the scenario of opposition fans being too close together could happen whatever the crowd size.

Bring back the Beach End.

SouthMoroccoStu
24-07-2019, 11:53 AM
Up to them and fair play

but their home attendance has dropped year on year recently

Diclonius
24-07-2019, 11:53 AM
This'll be redundant in a few years' time anyway when the new stadium is built.

In any case, Aberdeen could be winning the Champions League and still have an average attendance of 14,000.

Billy Whizz
24-07-2019, 11:55 AM
So presume a bulk of allocation will have no cover!

Frazerbob
24-07-2019, 11:55 AM
I've seen us take maybe two supports exceeding 1500 up there in my lifetime. Will only impact the Glasgow teams

Agreed although TBF that’s because almost all our games there get moved to lunch time for the TV. Last time we had a Saturday 3pm (last season or year before?) we sold out.

BonnieFitbaTeam
24-07-2019, 12:12 PM

The only ground I've ever been to where every away seat is 'restricted view'.

Oh, and the fence does indeed go all the way up.

Keith_M
24-07-2019, 12:33 PM
Why not just give away fans half the South Stand and leave one whole section empty?

It's not as if the home support are ever likely to sell out their end, even with a reduced allocation.

Zazu62
24-07-2019, 01:15 PM
When are they building a new stadium?

marinello59
24-07-2019, 01:17 PM
When are they building a new stadium?

It’s underway now. Looks like the training ground is going to be completed first.

Frazerbob
24-07-2019, 01:24 PM
It’s underway now. Looks like the training ground is going to be completed first.

Have they started on the stadium?

By the way, a terrible move for the club and the city IMHO. Another nail in the city’s coffin.

Diclonius
24-07-2019, 01:28 PM
Have they started on the stadium?

By the way, a terrible move for the club and the city IMHO. Another nail in the city’s coffin.

Pittodrie is an absolutely atrocious stadium and an embarassment for one of Scotland's top clubs. I'm all in favour of their new ground.

davhibby
24-07-2019, 01:31 PM
Pittodrie should have been redeveloped in a similar way to ours. The move will be terrible and they'll just end up with a soulless bowl in the middle of nowhere that takes forever to get to from the centre.

marinello59
24-07-2019, 01:32 PM
Pittodrie is an absolutely atrocious stadium and an embarassment for one of Scotland's top clubs. I'm all in favour of their new ground.

It will be yet another soulless out of town Stadium, think Falkirk. It’s inside the City boundary but only just, apparently the car park will be in Aberdeenshire. It will probably be emptier them their current stadium after the initial novelty wears off.

Moulin Yarns
24-07-2019, 01:41 PM
Pittodrie should have been redeveloped in a similar way to ours. The move will be terrible and they'll just end up with a soulless bowl in the middle of nowhere that takes forever to get to from the centre.

Takes about 15 minutes from union Street by car.

marinello59
24-07-2019, 01:45 PM

It takes more than 15 minutes when the roads are quiet. It will take much more than that on match days. The problems around rush hours at the bypass roundabout will be multiplied several times.

Mikey
24-07-2019, 01:51 PM

When is it due to be ready? Start of season 20/21?

marinello59
24-07-2019, 02:16 PM

I’m not sure. I can’t see them having a whole stadium ready that quickly given that Hearts are still working on a single stand. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2019, 02:16 PM

It will be finished way before the 8th wonder of the world in Gorgie.

Mikey
24-07-2019, 02:27 PM
I’m not sure. I can’t see them having a whole stadium ready that quickly given that Hearts are still working on a single stand. :greengrin

Answer here......

The initial figure quoted for the 20,000-seater stadium which is scheduled for completion in summer 2022 was £40m.
However, Aberdeen expect that cost to be far greater.

They are set to open a new £12m professional training campus, community hub and youth academy at Kingsford.

The entirety of the £12m has been underwritten by the directors and friends of the club.

No bank debt was incurred to raise the investment needed for the ambitious facility which is set to be open for September/October this year.

Milne said: “That (£40m) is a general figure we have to put in. It was always going to be £40-plus million. It will probably end up somewhere between £45 and £50m".

Frazerbob
24-07-2019, 03:33 PM

Maybe at 3am. Even with the new bypass, it’s a nightmare, especially during rush hour. 15000 fans heading out will be worse than that.

Aim Here
24-07-2019, 03:37 PM

The current ground is poor, but the location is good - a 20-minute walk from Union Street. The new stadium has an absolutely terrible location - 6 or 7 miles out of town, only available via road transport, hardly anybody living within walking distance. Currently, fans make their way to Pittodrie either using motor transport, on foot or possibly by train, and because of the central location, the traffic is probably dispersed around the city to some extent. With the new stadium, that changes - you've got all today's matchday road traffic plus everyone who walked or took the train or the pushbike, which is about 1/3 of the fans (that's an extra 100 buses or 2000 cars, or a mixture) all being squirted down one single A-road.

And that's if everything goes to plan. If there's gridlock, roadworks or accidents causing tailbacks, you'll have entire busloads upon busloads of disgruntled fans missing the kick off. I have a sneaking suspicion that a few months into the new stadium, after the novelty wears off, this will have a bit of an impact on the Aberdeen attendance figures.

Moulin Yarns
24-07-2019, 03:49 PM
It takes more than 15 minutes when the roads are quiet. It will take much more than that on match days. The problems around rush hours at the bypass roundabout will be multiplied several times.

I did it from Holburn Street end of Union Street on a Monday morning in less than 20 minutes, agree if everything is converging on the roundabout will be carnage. :greengrin Easier for away supporters though.

Keith_M
24-07-2019, 04:07 PM
I did it from Holburn Street end of Union Street on a Monday morning in less than 20 minutes, agree if everything is converging on the roundabout will be carnage. :greengrin Easier for away supporters though.

If you're driving perhaps, but what about those of us that normally head up there on the train?

marinello59
24-07-2019, 04:08 PM

And how often have you made that journey? I’d wager the average time would be just a wee bit more.
The traffic coming off the bypass at the Westhill roundabout from the South gets seriously backed up with queues on the inside lane. Given that a lot of local support will be coming in that way as well it ain’t going to be that much easier for away fans.

Since452
24-07-2019, 04:24 PM
Aberdeen's low attendances will drop by another couple thousand after the novelty of the new stadium has past.

Frazerbob
24-07-2019, 04:44 PM
Who remembers the outrage when we were looking at a move to Straiton? Terrible idea, including for the businesses around Leith. What size crowd would we have had last night if the game was out there?

Billy Whizz
24-07-2019, 04:48 PM
Who remembers the outrage when we were looking at a move to Straiton? Terrible idea, including for the businesses around Leith. What size crowd would we have had last night if the game was out there?

As you’re a local man, why didn’t they they re-develop Pittodrie.
Great location, and a bit of land behind the stand, the away fans sit in

Frazerbob
24-07-2019, 04:53 PM

The value of the land is worth more to Stuart Milne to build flats.

marinello59
24-07-2019, 04:54 PM

The footprint is too small. They had their chance when the old gasworks land next to the stadium was up for sale but passed on it and it’s now flats. The plan had been to rotate the ground 90 degrees.

Billy Whizz
The value of the land is worth more to Stuart Milne to build flats.

Thanks

Frazerbob
The thing is, the fans have been brainwashed to think it’s a great idea 😂

Frazerbob
24-07-2019, 04:55 PM
The footprint is too small. They had their chance when the old gasworks land next to the stadium was up for sale but passed on it and it’s now flats. The plan had been to rotate the ground 90 degrees.

Seems I’m more cynical than you. Who’s have thought it 😂

ian cruise
24-07-2019, 05:04 PM
The thing is, the fans have been brainwashed to think it’s a great idea 😂

I think they've just been battered with it for so long they've accepted it. The good run the team have been on has also bought the owners a lot of goodwill. If they have a bad season the first season in the new stadium it will hsve a massive negative effect

Hermit Crab
24-07-2019, 05:10 PM

We already only give them about 1600 tickets. :confused:

marinello59
24-07-2019, 05:13 PM
Seems I’m more cynical than you. Who’s have thought it 😂

Not really. The land IS worth more to them as flats. :greengrin