PDA

View Full Version : Reusable water bottles

Carheenlea
23-07-2019, 04:47 PM
I attended the Scottish Open down at The Renaissance recently, and like The Open last week and I think the Glastonbury Festival, spectators were encouraged to bring their own reusable water bottles and fill up for free at taps provided across the site in a bid to reduce single use plastic consumption. I wonder if this would be a campaign that Hibs would be interested in getting behind, and given the weather today got me thinking how handy that would be on days like this in particular, particularly for families. Pouring a plastic bottle into a paper cup contributes nothing to such an idea, but when you consider how much plastic waste we see at football stadiums, this is something I`d like to see our club a take a lead on and encourage other clubs to do the same.

Stewboy
23-07-2019, 04:50 PM
I attended the Scottish Open down at The Renaissance recently, and like The Open last week and I think the Glastonbury Festival, spectators were encouraged to bring their own reusable water bottles and fill up for free at taps provided across the site in a bid to reduce single use plastic consumption. I wonder if this would be a campaign that Hibs would be interested in getting behind, and given the weather today got me thinking how handy that would be on days like this in particular, particularly for families. Pouring a plastic bottle into a paper cup contributes nothing to such an idea, but when you consider how much plastic waste we see at football stadiums, this is something I`d like to see our club a take a lead on and encourage other clubs to do the same.

Same at the open last week, free water stations to fill your bottle

Then all the beer tents had plastic glasses :)

Frazerbob
23-07-2019, 04:53 PM
As long as fannies continue to chuck things at players, it will never be allowed.

Clarence
23-07-2019, 04:58 PM
As long as fannies continue to chuck things at players, it will never be allowed.

Sounds like Thailand.

Northernhibee
23-07-2019, 04:59 PM
Would love us to do something like that.

ano hibby
23-07-2019, 05:04 PM
Sounds like Thailand.

Brilliant 😂

Jack
23-07-2019, 05:06 PM
Scottish Water were giving away smallish metal water bottles at the Burntisland Races last Monday. Apparently they've been doing it all over the place.

They're blue though. We'd need green ones at ER!

Northernhibee
23-07-2019, 05:11 PM
Scottish Water were giving away smallish metal water bottles at the Burntisland Races last Monday. Apparently they've been doing it all over the place.

They're blue though. We'd need green ones at ER!
I got one at Belladrum last year I use all the time - also have a couple of Glastonbury festival ones. Clip on to your belt and you don’t even notice that they are there. Really positive.

hibsitis
23-07-2019, 05:50 PM
The remote possibility of a plastic bottle hitting someone isn't a good reason not to do it.

Bishop Hibee
23-07-2019, 06:14 PM
Using recycled cups at the food and drink stands should be possible.

Eyrie
23-07-2019, 06:19 PM
The remote possibility of a plastic bottle hitting someone isn't a good reason not to do it.

But it will still be used to stop a perfectly sensible proposal :brickwall

Hibhibhooray
23-07-2019, 06:25 PM

The cups can be recycled but the companies that do it will not accept them if they are mixed with other waste streams, so if there's a will there is a way as they say!

Hibee Mac
23-07-2019, 06:26 PM

Important to go that step further and have a re-useable option though. A recyclable cup is still a one use item which becomes waste, "recyclable" is a term which has more positive connotations than it probably should to be honest...

speedy_gonzales
23-07-2019, 08:12 PM
But it will still be used to stop a perfectly sensible proposal :brickwall

Although I agree "bottles" would be frowned upon, I wonder how collapsible (but refillable) pouches would be viewed. They'd be no different from the capri-suns that you often see kids drinking at the game.

Eyrie
23-07-2019, 09:40 PM
Important to go that step further and have a re-useable option though. A recyclable cup is still a one use item which becomes waste, "recyclable" is a term which has more positive connotations than it probably should to be honest...

In order - reduce, re-use, recycle.

Hibernian32
23-07-2019, 09:44 PM
I got refused entry with a bottle of un opened water today at the game. It was pretty hot tonight and had my son he was actually carry it ( purposely gave to him to make it look less obvious )

regardless it was a very low key game and water is a human right, I do find it a little harsh under the circumstances tonight they wouldn't let a father and son walk in with a bottle of water it's mad if you ask me a little OTT

GreenCastle
23-07-2019, 09:58 PM
Easter Road needs to get with the times.

Water foundations plus more bibs for recycling plus campaign not to drop litter in stadium and keep community clean.

FilipinoHibs
23-07-2019, 10:13 PM

Tinkering at the edges. Need legislation, stop eating and using airplanes if you really want to save the planet and Asia in particular where we bear the brunt of global warming.

iwasthere1972
23-07-2019, 10:15 PM

Would be if it was full.

hibbyfraelibby
23-07-2019, 10:23 PM

Apart from the fact that they are controlled containers capable of hold a liquid and therefore illegal to bring in to a football stadium I would agree

Power
23-07-2019, 10:42 PM
Keep the ideas coming. It links to the recycling initiative I brought up last month and the club are very willing to look at it as a bigger picture rather than a tick box exercise.

The club do look in on here and great ideas will run - if not picked up by the club directly then via myself.

cabbageandribs1875
23-07-2019, 11:33 PM
Tinkering at the edges. Need legislation, stop eating and using airplanes if you really want to save the planet and Asia in particular where we bear the brunt of global warming.

considering some Asian countries are the worlds worst plastic polluters some might call it poetic justice :wink:

China, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam are dumping more plastic into oceans than the rest of the world combined (https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forbes.com%2Fsites%2Fha nnahleung%2F2018%2F04%2F21%2Ffive-asian-countries-dump-more-plastic-than-anyone-else-combined-how-you-can-help%2F&text=China%2C%20Indonesia%2C%20Philippines%2C%20Th ailand%20%26%20Vietnam%20dump%20more%20plastic%20i nto%20oceans%20than%20the%20rest%20of%20the%20worl d%20combined.)

LioNeilMessi
24-07-2019, 07:31 AM
considering some Asian countries are the worlds worst plastic polluters some might call it poetic justice :wink:

China, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam are dumping more plastic into oceans than the rest of the world combined (https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forbes.com%2Fsites%2Fha nnahleung%2F2018%2F04%2F21%2Ffive-asian-countries-dump-more-plastic-than-anyone-else-combined-how-you-can-help%2F&text=China%2C%20Indonesia%2C%20Philippines%2C%20Th ailand%20%26%20Vietnam%20dump%20more%20plastic%20i nto%20oceans%20than%20the%20rest%20of%20the%20worl d%20combined.)

Now going off topic but really it’s the West that exploits the developing East Asian countries by having all their products manufactured (and waste exported) in areas with cheap labour and poorer regulation.

To me it’s a no brainier to install a few water fountains within the stands even if we can’t take in refillable water bottles. At the very least offer/advertise free cups of tap water in compostable cups (not aware of this is already the case). The days of buying expensive plastic bottle to pour into a single use cup should be well behind us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carheenlea
24-07-2019, 08:15 AM
Now going off topic but really it’s the West that exploits the developing East Asian countries by having all their products manufactured (and waste exported) in areas with cheap labour and poorer regulation.

To me it’s a no brainier to install a few water fountains within the stands even if we can’t take in refillable water bottles. At the very least offer/advertise free cups of tap water in compostable cups (not aware of this is already the case). The days of buying expensive plastic bottle to pour into a single use cup should be well behind us.

Keep the ideas coming. It links to the recycling initiative I brought up last month and the club are very willing to look at it as a bigger picture rather than a tick box exercise.

The club do look in on here and great ideas will run - if not picked up by the club directly then via myself.

Good to hear that the club are open to investigating initiatives like this Kieran.

Antifa Hibs
24-07-2019, 08:23 AM
Easter Road needs to get with the times.

Water foundations plus more bibs for recycling plus campaign not to drop litter in stadium and keep community clean.

Every football club needs to get with the times. We're constantly told football is a "business" and "entertainment industry" but its well behind others in some aspects. Had no cash on me last night and wanted a water, asked for a cup of tap water but refused due to some health and safety pish. Still no contactless in the pie stands for whatever reason (probably to expensive for installation/maintenance even though last week i bought a greasy cheese burger from a burger van using chip and pin!)

Apart from the fact that they are controlled containers capable of hold a liquid and therefore illegal to bring in to a football stadium I would agree

Amazes me this. You can get a scolding hot bovril that comes with a secured lid. If launched no doubt the lid would stay on until impact, thats the whole idea of it, to stay on and keep the contents inside the cup in the event of an accident. Can't recall a player or fan being scolded due to a thrown bovril. Give someone a collapsible water pouch though and there will be bedlam!