PDA

View Full Version : The Yam Culture Revealed

Onion
23-07-2019, 07:10 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/marcus-godinho-my-highlight-in-a-hearts-shirt-was-beating-hibs-i-hated-them-1-4969264

"I hated Hibs as well, which is something you pick up from being at Hearts."

Hated is not a word you use lightly and normally a feeling that's built up through horrendous personal experience. Makes you wonder about the type of culture and person that resides down at Gorgie.

BILLYHIBS
23-07-2019, 07:28 AM
Who?

Another one of Potters instantly forgettable scatter gun signings trying to ingratiate himself to the jambo horde. :confused:

Diclonius
23-07-2019, 07:29 AM
I've always said that I'd rather our players hated them as much as theirs hate us and win derbies than think of it as "just another game" and lose them.

Having a better "culture" than them meant **** all when we were routinely getting shafted in derbies in the earlier part of the decade. Thankfully we seem to want to win as much as them now.

Pagan Hibernia
23-07-2019, 07:32 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/marcus-godinho-my-highlight-in-a-hearts-shirt-was-beating-hibs-i-hated-them-1-4969264

Hated is not a word you use lightly and normally a feeling that's built up through horrendous personal experience. Makes you wonder about the type of culture and person that resides down at Gorgie.

Another hearts nobody.

DetroitHibs
23-07-2019, 07:36 AM
Third tier of German football..... Good luck san :aok:

PatHead
23-07-2019, 07:36 AM
I've always said that I'd rather our players hated them as much as theirs hate us and win derbies than think of it as "just another game" and lose them.

Having a better "culture" than them meant **** all when we were routinely getting shafted in derbies in the earlier part of the decade. Thankfully we seem to want to win as much as them now.

There is a difference between being determined to win and hating something or someone. Hate is a negative, horrible emotion.
Personally I pity them for being so pathetic. Potter's culture though. Perhaps it explains why he has won nothing, zilch, zero.

Marvellous
23-07-2019, 07:37 AM

Or maybe it's got something to do with the fact they're not able to pay wages so far out of their means that they go into administration any more.

Diclonius
23-07-2019, 07:44 AM
Or maybe it's got something to do with the fact they're not able to pay wages so far out of their means that they go into administration any more.

They beat us four out of five times with kids the season after they ran out of money.

givescotlandfreedom
23-07-2019, 07:45 AM
I didn't know who he was.

Baader
23-07-2019, 07:47 AM
Who is he?

Robinho08
23-07-2019, 07:49 AM
Bit pathetic. They love that though!

04Sauzee
23-07-2019, 07:52 AM
Trying to be remembered for not being utter dug sh*te

Since452
23-07-2019, 07:58 AM
Who's that no mark? Was he a first team player at them? Never heard of him.

23-07-2019, 07:59 AM
About 2 years ago a couple of the young players admitted it got drummed into them "we don't lose to Hibs". A bit sad and pathetic really. Maybe the time would have been better spent on how to pass a football.

NC1875
23-07-2019, 08:03 AM
About 2 years ago a couple of the young players admitted it got drummed into them "we don't lose to Hibs". A bit sad and pathetic really. Maybe the time would have been better spent on how to pass a football.

Personally I don’t see the issue. We should be drumming into young players and new signings that we don’t get beat from Hearts. Make them know in no uncertain terms that anything less than 110%, especially in a derby is unacceptable.

Barman Stanton
23-07-2019, 08:05 AM
Nothing wrong with it imo. I want our players to hate them as well. This was something they really seemed to have over us in the 80s 90s. Their players seemed to really hate us while you got the impression for Miller etc it was seen more as just another game. I think us having more Hibs fans in the team like McGregor, Hanlon, Stevenson (he is now) etc has really helped our record v them in last decade.

Diclonius
23-07-2019, 08:05 AM
Personally I don’t see the issue. We should be drumming into young players and new signings that we don’t get beat from Hearts. Make them know in no uncertain terms that anything less than 110%, especially in a derby is unacceptable.

Yup. How many times did we rip into them a decade ago that they were "obsessed" with us, only to get beaten yet again? I'd rather we were "obsessed" than lose derbies.

B.H.F.C
23-07-2019, 08:06 AM
I’ll go against the grain, it seems, and say that I hope our players have similar feelings towards that lot.

Since452
23-07-2019, 08:23 AM
Lets be honest, the derby is the one fixture us fans are all desperate to win. The players should know the significance of it right the way through the age groups. I don't doubt for a second they don't. Especially with the characters we have at the club. Sounds sad but even though we were keek last season we still finished above that lot and that should always be the minimum requirement.

Marvellous
23-07-2019, 08:26 AM
They beat us four out of five times with kids the season after they ran out of money.

Against a shocking Hibs team. That had nothing to do with hating anybody.

Since they've come out of admin I think the stats will be pretty even, we might even be ahead. Common sense would suggest that it's due to the fact they're not massively outspending us, rather than a change of mentality.

HIBERNIAN-0762
23-07-2019, 08:32 AM
That's all they care about nothing else. They never used to be like this until a crooked Russian came along and filled their tiny minds with all sorts of nonsense, they sucked it up and still are. Painful and creepy funny.

EI255
23-07-2019, 08:38 AM
Quite sure hating Hearts runs in Hibs' players blood too. Nothing to get excited about really. It's the way it is.

The point here is Black is just a spiteful, arrogant little welt who has failed in his chosen career.

He's history (and so glad he wasn't part of the Hibernian Family) [emoji3526]

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-07-2019, 08:42 AM
If this tosh makes the papers, it just shows how badly everyone wants the season to start.:rolleyes:

BoomtownHibees
23-07-2019, 08:44 AM
Quite sure hating Hearts runs in Hibs' players blood too. Nothing to get excited about really. It's the way it is.

The point here is Black is just a spiteful, arrogant little welt who has failed in his chosen career.

He's history (and so glad he wasn't part of the Hibernian Family) [emoji3526]

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

It’s nothing to do with Ian Black

Keith_M
23-07-2019, 09:17 AM
I've read interviews with a number of Hearts players where they've said they were told that the most important thing at Hearts was to beat Hibs.

I'm sure every team, and fans, want to win their local derby but that's an incredibly fixated point of view.

I'm sure the player in question was just making a pathetic attempt to ingratiate himself to supporters of a club whose Directors have made pathetically childish references to Hibs (e.g. 'The Docksiders').

23-07-2019, 09:23 AM
When you realise they pissed 60m up the wall for 2 cups and went into administration but consider it a success because they beat us regularly, it’s obvious they are utterly defined by us.

Jones28
23-07-2019, 09:25 AM

You can separate a will to win from hatred though. Team that dominate leagues don’t do it because they hate the opposition in every game, they have talent and a will to win.

The 90+2
23-07-2019, 10:11 AM
That should be the mentality at Hibernian.

Speedway
23-07-2019, 10:27 AM
That should be the mentality at Hibernian.

Under Lennon it was. PH hasn't lost to them yet. Hope that it continues to be the case.

Pretty Boy
23-07-2019, 10:29 AM
I don't hate this guy because I can't recall anything about him.

I have strong feelings about guys like Rudi Skacel and Ian Black because they played for Hearts at a time when they totally dominated us and caused us considerable hurt. The guy in the article may well have turned in the odd performance against us but I struggle to recall.

If he hates us then fine, there must be a reason for it.

NadeAteMyLunch!
23-07-2019, 11:22 AM
3 years at a club and his highlight is beating us 1-0 and then still finishing below us. Now off to the 3rd division. Loser

Here’s Lucy!
23-07-2019, 12:34 PM
Typically predictable.

KeithTheHibby
23-07-2019, 01:07 PM
What a wee dick. Not even a household name in his own house.

Since452
23-07-2019, 01:20 PM
I doubt many Hearts fans know who he is

Onion
23-07-2019, 01:53 PM
You can separate a will to win from hatred though. Team that dominate leagues don’t do it because they hate the opposition in every game, they have talent and a will to win.

Exactly. Hatred has no place in football and it goes a long way to explain why they are utterly obsessed with Hibs, why they have no compunction when financially scamming their way in the game, and would sooner win a routine derby match than win the Scottish Cup. They're a sad lot with tiny lives, who will never be satisfied.

Criswell
23-07-2019, 11:33 PM
Bizarre comment to make especially coming from a foreign short-stay nonentity, but then again not really all that surprising given their obvious obsessional hatred of us. I hope he had a nervous breakdown when we returned the compliment later on. (Horgan x 2) I mean, let's face it, he sounds like a total nut-job.

23-07-2019, 11:38 PM
Bizarre comment to make especially coming from a foreign short-stay nonentity, but then again not really all that surprising given their obvious obsessional hatred of us. I hope he had a nervous breakdown when we returned the compliment later on. (Horgan x 2) I mean, let's face it, he sounds like a total nut-job.

It takes time for the effects of brainwashing to wear off.

Forza Fred
23-07-2019, 11:41 PM
Not bothered by his comments.

Best described as ‘unprofessional’ or at best ‘a poor choice of words’

1875godsgift
24-07-2019, 12:28 AM
It’s nothing to do with Ian Black

He is a toss-pot too though.

givescotlandfreedom
24-07-2019, 12:37 AM
I sit behind the away dugout and Dick Campbell and his assistants jad a bit of banter and took it all in good humour. One of their coaches was sharing sweets with our ball boys. Can't see a Hearts gaffer that way!

CraigHibee
24-07-2019, 08:29 AM

never heard of the boy, complete and utter no-mark, suppose he has stepped up a grade leaving hearts and signing for some 3rd tier german team... one hun team to another :greengrin

green day
24-07-2019, 09:33 AM
I sit behind the away dugout and Dick Campbell and his assistants jad a bit of banter and took it all in good humour. One of their coaches was sharing sweets with our ball boys. Can't see a Hearts gaffer that way!

Dick Campbell seems a very decent man, a hugely underrated manager and pretty much every one of his players and ex players talks about what a cracking human being he is.

I cant recall anyone saying similar about Levein.

Carheenlea
24-07-2019, 09:45 AM
Dick Campbell seems a very decent man, a hugely underrated manager and pretty much every one of his players and ex players talks about what a cracking human being he is.

I cant recall anyone saying similar about Levein.

We were sat behind dugout last night and my mate said that pretty much every instruction that Dick was shouting to his players was the same stuff the coaches at his sons football club shout to them. A good guy and character of Scottish Football, but probably not really underrated as a manager. Not in 2019.

Albanian Hibs
24-07-2019, 10:10 AM
Absolute loser.

iwasthere1972
24-07-2019, 10:11 AM
He was there three years. Never heard of him. To hate us we must have done something (Like beat them) for him to feel that way. Another nobody who even most Hearts fans will forget ever played for them in a couple of years time.

Kato
24-07-2019, 10:16 AM
He was there three years. Never heard of him. To hate us we must have done something (Like beat them) for him to feel that way. Another nobody who even most Hearts fans will forget ever played for them in a couple of years time.

Alex Macdonald instilled that "hate Hibs" culture at Tynie in the 80's. John Robertson spoke about it in an interview a few years back.

dangermouse
24-07-2019, 10:20 AM
I’ll go against the grain, it seems, and say that I hope our players have similar feelings towards that lot.

I remember at the POTY a couple of seasons ago Marv said he F'n hated Hearts.

iwasthere1972
24-07-2019, 10:41 AM
Alex Macdonald instilled that "hate Hibs" culture at Tynie in the 80's. John Robertson spoke about it in an interview a few years back.

Alex McDonald in an interview about the 1986 double winners said that they ate, played and slept together. Makes you wonder.

GreenLake
24-07-2019, 10:49 AM
Never heard of him

Deansy
24-07-2019, 10:49 AM

Probably because in the 70's we wiped them out (losing once/twice tops throughout the entire decade ?) so Mercer came along and retaliated with his unique 'Business-plan' ! 30+ years later they're now forced to exist like all the other clubs and actually paying their way (well, what we know so far ??!!) so they've had to replace 'Cheating' with 'Hating' as their cheaper new incentive !. We're not helping the situation by pretty much resuming the 'Natural Order' and giving their fans a chance to experience 'What it was like to be a Jambo in the 70's

Gotta love the collective Yam IQ though- it just makes life that little bit more worth living !

My_Wife_Camille
24-07-2019, 10:57 AM
And Derek Riordan in his open goal interview said he hated Skacel

Carheenlea
24-07-2019, 11:09 AM
You get the impression that within the first 5 minutes of discussions between Hearts and a potential signing - Hibs will get a mention.

Kato
24-07-2019, 11:16 AM
Alex McDonald in an interview about the 1986 double winners said that they ate, played and slept together. Makes you wonder.

....and sang "The Sash" in the showers together....

Northern Hibby
24-07-2019, 11:31 AM
WE hate hearts, and the players should know it's an important game, but hate only creates the games like Lennon's Derby at ***********, a battle, I'd rather see our players play football and win derbies, know the history/rivalry know the importance to the supporters, but leave the hating to us 😉

Diclonius
24-07-2019, 11:35 AM

What a disgrace! Such an unprofessional attitude at his club towards their rivals, hate is such a strong wo- oh wait it's us, never mind then.

Point being that hating your rivals and wanting to beat them at everything translates to success on the pitch. We may not like it, but it's the cornerstone of their successful records against us in the last few decades and by adopting it post-relegation we've now started matching them.

I got a ST in 2007 and I never saw us dominate a derby until after we were relegated.

Deansy
24-07-2019, 12:47 PM
What a disgrace! Such an unprofessional attitude at his club towards their rivals, hate is such a strong wo- oh wait it's us, never mind then.

Point being that hating your rivals and wanting to beat them at everything translates to success on the pitch. We may not like it, but it's the cornerstone of their successful records against us in the last few decades and by adopting it post-relegation we've now started matching them.

I got a ST in 2007 and I never saw us dominate a derby until after we were relegated.

Sorry but their 'success' against us over the last few decades was achieved by not paying their bills (cheating !) -their debt increased season-on-season from 1981 onwards because they didn't pay their bills !.

Man Down Under
24-07-2019, 01:36 PM
You can't have the joy of beating Hearts without this sort of thing. All part of the banter/rivalry.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

oldbutdim
24-07-2019, 01:58 PM
I can honestly say I've never heard of this guy, and I'd be happy not to hear of him again.
I just read the article and already I've forgotten his name.
Quite scary how the fans, manager, and apparently even the players of that weird team define themselves in relation to Hibs.

Hopefully the lad will recover once he's been removed from the source of his bitterness. It's a shame that a bloke who seems to have been a bit part player has had such a traumatic period in his life where he 'hates' a different football club simply because he is told to.

Sammy7nil
24-07-2019, 03:05 PM
We were sat behind dugout last night and my mate said that pretty much every instruction that Dick was shouting to his players was the same stuff the coaches at his sons football club shout to them. A good guy and character of Scottish Football, but probably not really underrated as a manager. Not in 2019.

Did his team win the league last season seemed to work well in 2019 ? :confused: Maybe not a coach for 2020:greengrin

Sammy7nil
24-07-2019, 03:09 PM
Sorry but their 'success' against us over the last few decades was achieved by not paying their bills (cheating !) -their debt increased season-on-season from 1981 onwards because they didn't pay their bills !.

As someone who has been going to derbies since the late sixties i can confirm it is a bit of both. Hearts have beat us with some bang average teams and nearly always seemed up for the battle when we did not. often They did not have better players but appeared to have more heart.

Scouse Hibee
24-07-2019, 03:21 PM

As a football fan who prefers to concentrate on what happens on the pitch I find your comment cringe worthy to be honest as an excuse as to their success over us. I never once left a derby defeat being able to console myself with the the thoughts of their finances. They all too often bullied, out fought, out played us regardless of who they had on the pitch and how they paid them.

Since452
24-07-2019, 03:27 PM
**** Hearts. When you have no-marks like Godinhio or whatever he's called calling a 1-0 derby win the highlight of his career then you know who is the dominant team in Edinburgh right now.

Fanforlife
24-07-2019, 04:02 PM

I cant recall anyone saying similar about Levein.Son played for him at a couple of clubs and definitely rated him.

Keith_M
24-07-2019, 04:25 PM
He's just one of these...

https://www.vitalymp.de/media/image/35/24/22/yambam-chunky-choc.jpg

Rumble de Thump
24-07-2019, 04:49 PM
As a football fan who prefers to concentrate on what happens on the pitch I find your comment cringe worthy to be honest as an excuse as to their success over us. I never once left a derby defeat being able to console myself with the the thoughts of their finances. They all too often bullied, out fought, out played us regardless of who they had on the pitch and how they paid them.

Your post seems very cringeworthy, to be honest.

Scouse Hibee
24-07-2019, 04:53 PM
Your post seems very cringeworthy, to be honest.

Fair enough it's all about opinions after all.

Kato
24-07-2019, 05:12 PM
As someone who has been going to derbies since the late sixties i can confirm it is a bit of both. Hearts have beat us with some bang average teams and nearly always seemed up for the battle when we did not. often They did not have better players but appeared to have more heart.

Problem being is they were all too often allowed to turn these games into battles.

Deansy
24-07-2019, 07:59 PM

I do kind of agree with you to a certain extent, they did outplay/bully us during their 'successful' period, and for some strange reason their 'success' seemed to intensify their hatred of us - but it's the collective Jambo IQ we're talking about so go figure ??!! However, during their 'successful' period, they went through approx £100m+ (approx £5m debt Mercer, £20M Robinson then add-on Vlad's 'Debt-equity' swap deals ............) that for the most part, went on hiring players far, far outwith their economic capabilities !. Maybe Hearts were extremely lucky that the SFA/Financial-authorities/media also only concentrated on what was going on on the pitch because what was going on off it gave them a huge, massively unfair advantage over us !

FilipinoHibs
24-07-2019, 09:44 PM

Think that us a myth about being out fought. They won over the period 1981 till admin because they could afford better players. During the Sauzee /Lataoy period we had two exceptional pkys very many good players because we paid big wages and went into large amounts of debt. We have had the upper hand since admin but have not really dominated them. That is because the finances are more even. We have better management over this period why we have the upper hand. But there is not much in it. Look at how we walked promotion in 1999. That was down to our budget being much bigger than the rest if the league. When we had to compete with bigger budgets we did not get promoted.

Scouse Hibee
24-07-2019, 10:05 PM
Think that us a myth about being out fought. They won over the period 1981 till admin because they could afford better players. During the Sauzee /Lataoy period we had two exceptional pkys very many good players because we paid big wages and went into large amounts of debt. We have had the upper hand since admin but have not really dominated them. That is because the finances are more even. We have better management over this period why we have the upper hand. But there is not much in it. Look at how we walked promotion in 1999. That was down to our budget being much bigger than the rest if the league. When we had to compete with bigger budgets we did not get promoted.

Not sure what derbies you watched if you can’t agree we were out fought.

Sir David Gray
24-07-2019, 10:12 PM
Does anyone know who Marcus Godinho is yet?

He sounds as if he should be good with the Brazilian sounding name but I've never heard of him in my puff.

Complete nonentity.

Since452
25-07-2019, 05:57 AM
I see their marquee signing Washington is being slaughtered on Keekback

jacomo
25-07-2019, 12:37 PM
**** Hearts. When you have no-marks like Godinhio or whatever he's called calling a 1-0 derby win the highlight of his career then you know who is the dominant team in Edinburgh right now.

:agree:

tosh6-2
26-07-2019, 03:46 AM
It’s nothing to do with Ian Black[emoji23][emoji23].

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk