PDA

View Full Version : The Ashes 2019!!!!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Mibbes Aye
23-07-2019, 12:47 AM
As if summer couldn’t get any better, we don’t just have a cricket World Cup, we have an Ashes series!!! :greengrin

The CWC was outstanding IMO, barely a dead rubber in the previously maligned group games, some cracking head-to-heads as well, especially in the closing stages. The semis were great, fraught at times, tense at times and utterly enjoyable. The final was a thing of majesty - cricket is not a sport that is easy to get into but I suspect many found the match and its ending to be utterly enthralling viewing.

But anyway, that’s enough about the silly short game with men wearing coloured pyjamas, it’s time for the real deal. And that’s five-day cricket, played in whites, twenty wickets to win and every variable that the pitch, the weather, your team’s fitness, their team’s fitness and the umpire’s decisions can throw at you!

Reason for starting the thread is that Australia are running a trial match at Southampton on Tuesday, similar to the trial football matches a lot of us will have played as children. They have a squad of 25 that needs reduced to 16/17.

They have gone down the route of letting their batting coach Graeme Hick (beautifully languid England batsman who never quite translated his crazy massive county scores into Test performances) pick an Aussie XI.

He will play another Aussie XI, picked by Brad Haddin, the Aussie high performance coach. Haddin was a fine player but had the poisoned chalice of being the wicket keeper who followed on from Adam Gilchrist, one of the greatest players of all time. And Gilchrist followed on from Ian Healy, who had sort of set a standard for keepers also being very good batsmen, until Gilchrist came along and reset the rules.

If Haddin had been English I think his stock would be a lot higher, he was vice-captain at the time when Australia were losing all their superstars through age and retirement. He would of course faced challenge from the likes of Buttler and Bairstow though.

Anyway, there is still scope for a few Aussies to pitch their case for inclusion in the Ashes squad and this trial game reflects Australian frustration from previous tours where they didn’t feel they were getting games that were competitive enough to prepare.

As for England, the CWC champions........

They prep with a four-dayer against Ireland on Wednesday. It should be comfortable, as the extended game gives them greater scope to ensure victory than the shorter game where they have run aground in the past.

Key questions are, how will Jason Roy do at opening bat? England have struggled for so long to pick an opener, and with Cook’s time gone, how to pick two openers.

Roy is explosive in ODI, not a doubt. It will be enthralling to see whether he can cope with nagging bowls just swinging from the top of off from Cummins, the yorkers from Starc, and the persistence of Nathan Lyon.

England have called up a couple of fast bowlers in order to rest Jofra Archer and Mark Wood. Given Jimmy Anderson’s injury that is not surprising and definitely prudent.

I am pleased to see Olly Stone get a pick. He has had no luck with injuries, IIRC including crucial ligament, but he seems to be back and okay and can post 90mph+ which really puts him in an exceptional bracket.

England have also called up Lewis Gregory who has made an outstanding start in the County Championship, taking 44 wickets at an average of 13. He is very much swing not pace, which I suspect will suit conditions. I am not a meteorologist but already it feels like it might be a muggy, humid and damp summer. If that is true then he can maybe take advantage of Anderson’s injury and get himself in there.

Play starts at Edgbaston on August 1. Can’t wait :greengrin

Bangkok Hibby
23-07-2019, 06:45 AM
5 day cricket along with baseball are for me the most boring games imaginable.
I liked your post though, your enthusiasm is obvious. Enjoy the ashes sir 👍🏻🙏🏻

weecounty hibby
23-07-2019, 07:52 AM
Test match cricket is the pinnacle of the sport, totally love it and can't wait for the Ashes to start.
As an aside Graeme Hick was a beautiful batsman and part of some infuriating England teams. Had some great players who never quite got it right all the time mixed with some who were never quite good enough for the highest level of the game

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-07-2019, 08:15 AM
Hick was a great player to watch, IIRC he never recovered from a bombardment of short deliveries in a Test Series v The Windies.

JeMeSouviens
23-07-2019, 09:51 AM
I'm going to the 1st day at Headingley, beyond excited! :greengrin

So pencil in a day of rain there. :wink:

This is shaping up to be a hell of a series. Smith and Warner as panto villains. I think they're both the sort who will relish that and make big scores. Australia are a different team with those 2 around. Smith especially is a rock in tight spots. I have a feeling Jason Roy is going to do well. I wonder if they will open with him and Bairstow on account of how well they seem to do together? Seems a bit mental but you never know.

I really, really hope Jimmy Anderson can be at full fitness, and that Aus bat first at Headingley. That will be an awesome contest.

Zazu62
23-07-2019, 01:10 PM
Good post. Is Tim Paine the captain for Australia? Will Carey get in?

BigKev
24-07-2019, 10:27 AM
Roy failed against Ireland. Would have been out lbw but for a no ball then edged to slip.

Surprised to see Denly come in and be interesting to see how he gets on at 3.

The Ashes has the hallmarks of a classic series. If England can somehow find an opening partnership that works then I'd fancy them. Australia aren't quite at their formidable best of the late 90's early 00's but with Smith capable of holding an innings together they'll fancy it.

BigKev
24-07-2019, 10:51 AM
Burns out for 6... England 36-3 😂

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-07-2019, 11:02 AM
What a mess, 42-4!

BigKev
24-07-2019, 11:03 AM
42-4... Root gone for 2

Moan the Irish 🇮🇪

BigKev
24-07-2019, 11:07 AM
Bairstow out for a duck... 42-5 😮

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-07-2019, 11:07 AM
42-5

BigKev
24-07-2019, 11:10 AM
Woakes reviewing... 42-6 😲

BigKev
24-07-2019, 11:11 AM
This is getting embarrassing.

JeMeSouviens
24-07-2019, 11:11 AM
Lolz - entire top order gone, Woakes given out, reviewing ...

JeMeSouviens
24-07-2019, 11:12 AM
Out!

BigKev
24-07-2019, 11:18 AM
43-7 Ali gone...

Murtagh 5 wicket haul

JeMeSouviens
24-07-2019, 11:24 AM
43-7 Ali gone...

Murtagh 5 wicket haul

Will they make it to lunch? :greengrin

BigKev
24-07-2019, 11:30 AM

Only just I think 😂

Obviously thought all they had to do is turn up to win.

Curran could have a decent knock and Broad just needs to hang about with him.

JeMeSouviens
24-07-2019, 11:49 AM
Broad out, 58/8. Lunch still a couple of overs away ...

BigKev
24-07-2019, 11:54 AM

Lunch is 1:15... maybe not 😂

JeMeSouviens
24-07-2019, 11:57 AM
Lunch is 1:15... maybe not ��

... and Sam Curran's out - 67/9

marinello59
24-07-2019, 12:11 PM
My son checked the score at 85-8 and assumed it was Ireland at the end of a pasting. Then we switched the TV on just as the last wicket fell. Great stuff from Ireland. :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
24-07-2019, 12:16 PM
Lunch is 1:15... maybe not 😂

Not. :agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-07-2019, 12:32 PM
Will be interesting to see how England bowl in response.

JeMeSouviens
24-07-2019, 03:14 PM
Ireland 127/2 at tea.

The Aussie bowlers will be licking their lips after today.

BigKev
24-07-2019, 03:39 PM
Third wicket down but England's bowling has been average at best.

Wonder if they're going to throw Archer and Wood alongside Anderson for the Ashes.

I'd also have Curran in there instead of Broad.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-07-2019, 04:08 PM
141-6

Zazu62
24-07-2019, 07:17 PM

Wonder if they're going to throw Archer and Wood alongside Anderson for the Ashes.

Wood is injured. Will miss first 3 tests I think.

JeMeSouviens
25-07-2019, 11:07 AM
England put Jack Leach in as a nightwatchman last night as they only had to face one over. This morning he's 40 no while Burns fails again (6). :greengrin

Eng 56/1, still 66 runs behind.

Mibbes Aye
25-07-2019, 11:14 AM

It’s an interesting situation. The World Cup was very much a bowler’s tournament and given the weather conditions, the Ashes could be very similar, even more so. Certainly in Australia’s prep game it was all about the bowlers.

There’s even been some speculation that Australia could go with five quick bowlers - Cummins, Starc, Pattinson, Hazlewood and Bird. They have a couple of batsmen who can throw a bit of spin if required but five quicks gives you the chance to change at both ends and then throw in the fifth for a bit of variation. Imagine being an England batsmen, especially at the top of the order where we still don’t really know what the line-up is, facing the new ball from Starc and Hazlewood, then seeing them refreshed by Cummins and Pattinson!

That would be very bold and attacking but if the pitches play like they have been then it makes perfect sense. It does leave the batting a tad light but in the likes of Smith and Warner, Australia have guys who can score big runs. And for the last thirty years or so, Australian pace bowlers have been indoctrinated into believing they should be able to post in the thirties or forties with the bat on a regular basis.

JeMeSouviens
25-07-2019, 11:55 AM
Jack Leach gets 50.

JeMeSouviens
25-07-2019, 12:01 PM
A few dodgy moments for Roy but he's getting going now at 41 no. Eng 106/1, just 16 behind now.

JeMeSouviens
25-07-2019, 12:23 PM
Lunch 122/1 - scores level.

Roy's 50 is the fastest by an England debutant, 47 balls.

BigKev
25-07-2019, 02:35 PM
It’s an interesting situation. The World Cup was very much a bowler’s tournament and given the weather conditions, the Ashes could be very similar, even more so. Certainly in Australia’s prep game it was all about the bowlers.

There’s even been some speculation that Australia could go with five quick bowlers - Cummins, Starc, Pattinson, Hazlewood and Bird. They have a couple of batsmen who can throw a bit of spin if required but five quicks gives you the chance to change at both ends and then throw in the fifth for a bit of variation. Imagine being an England batsmen, especially at the top of the order where we still don’t really know what the line-up is, facing the new ball from Starc and Hazlewood, then seeing them refreshed by Cummins and Pattinson!

That would be very bold and attacking but if the pitches play like they have been then it makes perfect sense. It does leave the batting a tad light but in the likes of Smith and Warner, Australia have guys who can score big runs. And for the last thirty years or so, Australian pace bowlers have been indoctrinated into believing they should be able to post in the thirties or forties with the bat on a regular basis.

Would certainly be a bold move!

England could field Anderson, Archer, Broad, Stone/Wood/Woakes and Stokes to be fair. I'd bin Ali for Rashid if spin was required on day 3/4 of the tests. Ali has been bang average at best with the bat in both formats for too long and wouldn't mind Curran taking his place as he can shape a ball being left handed and offers something different.

England's top order need to perform for sure. Burns has failed again today. I wonder if they'd be brave enough to go Bairstow/Roy as a test opening partnership.

Warner and Smith will be the catalyst of any Aussie victory IMO. Starc will also be crucial.

Too tight to call but can't wait!

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-07-2019, 03:51 PM
England 219-6 and up against it again.

Mibbes Aye
25-07-2019, 04:19 PM
England 219-6 and up against it again.

It has been an enjoyable day of cricket. I have been watching it in phases and Ireland are certainly up for it. New ball is due soon as well, so we could see the tail wrapped up.

Mibbes Aye
25-07-2019, 04:23 PM
Would certainly be a bold move!

England could field Anderson, Archer, Broad, Stone/Wood/Woakes and Stokes to be fair. I'd bin Ali for Rashid if spin was required on day 3/4 of the tests. Ali has been bang average at best with the bat in both formats for too long and wouldn't mind Curran taking his place as he can shape a ball being left handed and offers something different.

England's top order need to perform for sure. Burns has failed again today. I wonder if they'd be brave enough to go Bairstow/Roy as a test opening partnership.

Warner and Smith will be the catalyst of any Aussie victory IMO. Starc will also be crucial.

Too tight to call but can't wait!

Yeah, me too.

I think Curran has done his chances no harm so far and England really need to be planning about a post-Broad post-Anderson future, and Curran is part of that IMO. I’m sure I heard or read that the third brother may be the best of the lot but I think he is still very young.

EDIT - the third brother is Ben and he’s actually the middle child, Sam being the youngest, but hasn’t really had the breakthrough that Tom and Sam have enjoyed.

JeMeSouviens
26-07-2019, 10:18 AM
Stone out to the 1st ball of the day, so Ireland have a target of 182.

If they can keep their nerve a historic victory is on the cards.

JeMeSouviens
26-07-2019, 10:26 AM
Rain stops play after 1 over. 0/0

JeMeSouviens
26-07-2019, 12:08 PM
Early wickets for Broad & Woakes. Ireland rocking a bit at 19/3

Mibbes Aye
26-07-2019, 12:18 PM
Early wickets for Broad & Woakes. Ireland rocking a bit at 19/3

What I'm taking from this game so far is that it looks like this summer in England is one for the bowlers, and Australia could therefore run riot. They can field a very strong pace quartet and as discussed above, could even gamble with a fifth seamer.

Also, England don’t appear to have clarity about their batting order. This has been dragging on for ages now and is ridiculous. I really like Joe Root, he comes across very well as a person and is obviously very, very talented as a cricketer but it is simply ridiculous that he doesn’t play at three. Roy looks like he will now be opening on a permanent basis, get Hameed in there or as I think you suggested, push Bairstow up and see what happens.

JeMeSouviens
26-07-2019, 12:23 PM
What I'm taking from this game so far is that it looks like this summer in England is one for the bowlers, and Australia could therefore run riot. They can field a very strong pace quartet and as discussed above, could even gamble with a fifth seamer.

Also, England don’t appear to have clarity about their batting order. This has been dragging on for ages now and is ridiculous. I really like Joe Root, he comes across very well as a person and is obviously very, very talented as a cricketer but it is simply ridiculous that he doesn’t play at three. Roy looks like he will now be opening on a permanent basis, get Hameed in there or as I think you suggested, push Bairstow up and see what happens.

So could England, to be fair. We could have some very short matches! Totally agree re Root, somebody needs to have a serious word.

JeMeSouviens
26-07-2019, 12:24 PM
Ireland 24/5. All going wrong for them now. Woakes has 4.

JeMeSouviens
26-07-2019, 12:54 PM
36/9 Woakes has 5, Broad 4. 7 minutes until lunch.

Funny how things change in Test cricket. :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
26-07-2019, 01:13 PM
All over, Ireland all out for 38.

Mibbes Aye
26-07-2019, 01:22 PM
All over, Ireland all out for 38.

Ooft :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
26-07-2019, 01:25 PM
So could England, to be fair. We could have some very short matches! Totally agree re Root, somebody needs to have a serious word.

I have four days at Old Trafford, it bloody well better not be short :greengrin

You are right about England, they have some talented quicks and of course on home soil.

Josh Hazlewood is of interest to me for the Aussies. I think he is very much in the mould of the classic tourist who bowls a nagging line and length.

BigKev
27-07-2019, 11:55 AM
England have named their squad for the first test:

England squad for first Ashes Test: Joe Root (capt), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jofra Archer, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler (wk), Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes.

Surprised they've stuck with an out of sorts Burns but good to see Archer in there.

Which 3 will fail to make the 11?

I'd guess Stone, Woakes and Curran or if the pitch doesn't look like it'll turn then swap Ali for Curran?

JeMeSouviens
27-07-2019, 01:24 PM

England squad for first Ashes Test: Joe Root (capt), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jofra Archer, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler (wk), Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes.

Surprised they've stuck with an out of sorts Burns but good to see Archer in there.

I'd guess Stone, Woakes and Curran or if the pitch doesn't look like it'll turn then swap Ali for Curran?

Edgbaston is Woakes’ home ground and he has a great record there.

Stonewall
27-07-2019, 07:42 PM
Nothing better than a day at an ashes test match. Bring it on.

Mibbes Aye
27-07-2019, 08:01 PM

If it were up to me I would be going

Roy
Bairstow
Denly
Root
Stokes
Buttler
Woakes
Curran
Broad
Stone
Archer

I think England will be more cautious and pick Burns, which means dropping a seamer, probably Olly Stone. And if they are being ultra cautious they will pick Moeen at the expense of Curran.

I am expecting Anderson to not be quite fit. If he is then he comes in for Stone I suspect.

Mibbes Aye
29-07-2019, 10:30 PM

Well, well, well. It is being reported across a number of media outlets that Root will play at three come Thursday. About time too.

This means it is likely that Denly will move to four and Roy and Burns will continue at one and two. What I also picked up on is that if Root works at three then the thinking is to move Roy to four, which takes an England middle order that was already explosive to an even higher level. I would love to see that.

The downside is that Burns doesn’t convince as an opening bat and it means that England will yet again be rolling the dice for the openers. There are a couple of younger players coming through in the county game and I have always been a fan of Hameed, though he has struggled to find form since his breakthrough.

Funnily enough, I watched an extended interview with Mike Atherton about his time as an England player and captain earlier this evening and he talked about the 1993 Ashes where an admittedly very strong Australia absolutely hammered England. He was pointing out that despite the quality gap, England didn’t do themselves any favours by changing six or seven players from one game to the next. England have some ridiculously high number of openers who played with Cook and now that Cook has gone they don’t have him as a stick-on at least at one end.

They really need to settle on a first-pick opening pair and stick with them. They can afford to take a risk and look at younger players if they are thinking that the following batsmen will be Root, Roy, Stokes, Bairstow and Buttler.

Mibbes Aye
30-07-2019, 11:01 PM
Team gossip for Australia is interesting too.

Bancroft seems to be in line for restoration as an opener. Tactically sensible, he has done well playing in English conditions. Unfair on Harris who hasn’t done a great deal wrong.

Khawaja seems to have retained the number three spot. I will stop banging on about him some day but I really don’t think he is good enough. He just does enough to edge by but spurns or spoils advantageous positions for Australia far too consistently.

But most interestingly, it sounds like Australia might go cautious at Edgbaston, which is a happy hunting ground for England, and play Nathan Lyon and therefore only three quicks.

Pattinson and Cummins already seem to have been pre-announced meaning it could come down to one from Starc, Hazlewood and Siddle. Dropping Starc or Hazlewood is bold. I had actually forgotten that Siddle is in the squad, which is stupid because he has reinvented his game over his career and while at the latter end, has really worked out how to play in English conditions, as his County performances have shown.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Siddle get the spot but if it was me I would be tempted to omit Lyon (and that’s a hard decision to take) knowing you likely have a bit of spin from Smith and Labuschagne (assuming he is picked, which isn’t a given) on the table.

That allows you two from the previous three quicks mentioned and gives you rotation of pace at both ends, for at least a decent part of the innings. If they were to do that then I suspect Hazlewood would lose out, if nothing else because he is working his way back from injury. Would be a shame as he is a nagging bowler, who probably offers the closest thing the Aussies currently have to the peerless Glenn McGrath.

JeMeSouviens
31-07-2019, 08:28 PM
England XI: Rory Burns, Jason Roy, Joe Root (capt), Joe Denly, Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler (wk), Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes, Stuart Broad, James Anderson.

No Archer!

Mibbes Aye
31-07-2019, 08:40 PM
England XI: Rory Burns, Jason Roy, Joe Root (capt), Joe Denly, Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler (wk), Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes, Stuart Broad, James Anderson.

No Archer!

Yes, once England decided they were going with Moeen and once it was clear that Anderson was fit then it put Archer in jeopardy. This is Woakes’ home ground and he performs well here (and while it is looking like a bowler’s summer, he can bat a bit if necessary). And while I don’t like Broad and he is coming to the end of his career, he has so much Ashes experience and of course links up so well with Jimmy Anderson.

It comes back to the point I think you made a few weeks ago. When you have a proper all-rounder, as they do in Stokes, then you can retain a four-man pace attack, have a proper spinner, and still play six batsmen who qualify to play as batsmen (though that is maybe arguable at the moment for Burns and Denly :greengrin).

It makes sense for England but is cautious. They do well at Edgbaston, Moeen hasn’t been on great form and both Root and Denly can chuck a few overs down if necessary. And every indicator is pointing towards potentially the fewest days of Ashes cricket for generations, with games struggling to go to a full fourth day.

Which no doubt means it will go to the last session of the last day!

I am in hospitality in Edgbaston on Saturday, so most of Friday and and Sunday will be reliant on TMS in the car, which isn’t exactly a hardship.

JeMeSouviens
01-08-2019, 09:31 AM
Australia win the toss and will bat.

Game on!

JeMeSouviens
01-08-2019, 09:32 AM
Yes, once England decided they were going with Moeen and once it was clear that Anderson was fit then it put Archer in jeopardy. This is Woakes’ home ground and he performs well here (and while it is looking like a bowler’s summer, he can bat a bit if necessary). And while I don’t like Broad and he is coming to the end of his career, he has so much Ashes experience and of course links up so well with Jimmy Anderson.

It comes back to the point I think you made a few weeks ago. When you have a proper all-rounder, as they do in Stokes, then you can retain a four-man pace attack, have a proper spinner, and still play six batsmen who qualify to play as batsmen (though that is maybe arguable at the moment for Burns and Denly :greengrin).

It makes sense for England but is cautious. They do well at Edgbaston, Moeen hasn’t been on great form and both Root and Denly can chuck a few overs down if necessary. And every indicator is pointing towards potentially the fewest days of Ashes cricket for generations, with games struggling to go to a full fourth day.

Which no doubt means it will go to the last session of the last day!

I am in hospitality in Edgbaston on Saturday, so most of Friday and and Sunday will be reliant on TMS in the car, which isn’t exactly a hardship.

Well jel! Have a prawn sarnie for me. :wink:

JeMeSouviens
01-08-2019, 10:21 AM
Warner survives first ball catch appeal - no review but replay showed out. Then survives lbw review but then ... out lbw! No review ... and replay shows it was missing! :greengrin

Aus 2/1 in the 4th over.

JeMeSouviens
01-08-2019, 10:40 AM
Bancroft out for 8.

Aus 17/2

The crowd waving squares of sandpaper at Warner and Bancroft as they depart. :greengrin

Here comes Steve Smith. Cometh the hour ... ?

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-08-2019, 10:50 AM
England have bowled well in this first session so far.

JeMeSouviens
01-08-2019, 01:04 PM
Oh no, Anderson is off to get his calf scanned. Potential disaster for England.

Aussies have rallied to 98/3.

lord bunberry
01-08-2019, 01:25 PM
Australia now 105/5, England are bowling well Woakes has 3 wickets.

JeMeSouviens
01-08-2019, 01:47 PM
Woakes and Broad put England back on top.

112/6 - Smith still rock-like on 37no

As I type, another one down. 112/7

Mibbes Aye's hospitality day looking slightly shaky at this rate. :greengrin

lord bunberry
01-08-2019, 01:53 PM

Smith still there, but he’s running out of partners.

lord bunberry
01-08-2019, 02:01 PM
Cummins goes now lbw to Stokes.
122/8

JeMeSouviens
01-08-2019, 04:28 PM
Smith and Siddle digging in - 209/8

Need to get Broad & Woakes back on sharpish.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-08-2019, 05:11 PM
Something about Smith really annoys me but, he's a cracking player.

Mibbes Aye
01-08-2019, 05:45 PM

:greengrin

I have to confess I was in a state of mild panic a few hours ago. Slightly more reassured now.

Mibbes Aye
02-08-2019, 12:32 AM
Such drama at Edgbaston!

Maybe exacerbated by some very iffy umpiring. Almost always, DRS or ‘what if’ DRS shows the umpires getting it right, but today was a shocker! I saw at least two Broad wickets that would have been overturned on review, had Australia reviewed them.

There were also some poor reviews. England used up one at the start and one at the end where the ball was clearly missing the stumps. It happens, but not often. I wonder if the excitement and tension was getting to both sides and the umpires.

England made a great start and probably had an even better second session. 83-3 for lunch, and eight down for 150 odds at tea IIRC, Smith and Head being the only ones to steady the ship.

What a resurgence from Australia though. Smith’s innings will go into Ashes folklore, worthy in its own right as a one-man tour de force but reinforced by the circumstances of it being his Test return in the most hostile environment England can conjure up.

That is not to dismiss the input of Head, Siddle and Lyon though. Siddle in particular was critical to Australia saving something. He is a wily old bowler but has obviously learnt to bat a bit in English conditions from his time in the County Championship - I think he averaged in the thirties with Essex. Nathan Lyon was perfect, playing a straight bat to allow Smith to push the score on but also hitting a few sweet boundaries himself.

But for Australia, it was all about the skipper. In his last five innings against England, his batting average is a ridiculous, superlative, extraordinary, crazy 161!!

In his last five on English soil his average is 61.2, which sounds like a steep decline until you remember that averaging in the sixties is bordering on superhuman to begin with!

As for England, Broad will be overshadowed by Smith but took a great 5-86 including key wickets at the start. He also achieved 100 Test wickets against Australia, with Steve Smith for his century, which is a remarkable achievement. I’m not actually sure who has all achieved that, probably more likely to be modern-day bowlers given the increased number of Tests compared to decades ago. I will try and find out but Muralitharan, maybe Kumble, maybe even Jimmy Anderson in fact, seem plausible candidates if there are any.

If Broad was overshadowed by Smith he is also overshadowed by Jimmy Anderson and his calf strain. Anderson’s figures after his last over today were 4-3-1-0. You can’t replace that, and while Stone, Wood and Archer all have very good qualities, if Anderson is out for the series then it represents a massive advantage for Australia. As far as this game goes they need to capitalise on it, a win at Edgbaston is psychologically huge, especially given Lord’s is usually a happy hunting ground.

Fantastic and enthralling day today at Edgbaston and through nothing other than sheer self-interest I was praying for rain until Smith decided to go on his Nietzschean odyssey and show that in team sports, the collective is crucial but every so often one person can rise above everything and everyone else and shape what is around them.

Though Peter Siddle was magnificent too, I’m looking forward to seeing him bowl :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
02-08-2019, 01:05 AM
I am intrigued by the stat about bowlers who have taken 100 Australian Test wickets (see above).

Despite my best attempts with Google, there doesn’t appear to be an obvious source.

Fortunately, Statsguru on ESPNCricinfo is a wealth of knowledge and information. I haven’t found a way of making a search with that criterion alone, but you can go into player histories and on the basis that you would have to take a lot of wickets generally to have one hundred Aussies, I started at the top.

Jimmy Anderson makes it, as does Kumble. Surprisingly Mura doesn’t. Courtney Walsh does too, can’t believe I never thought of him at first.

I suspect Curtly might and there’s a chance that the likes of Pollock or Donald from SAF may do too. A little less hope for Wasim and Waqir and then I think we are getting to a point in time where there simply weren’t enough matches played to generate the wickets - though I won’t rule out Richard Hadlee and Kapil Dev until I’ve checked their stats.

This is what cricket reduces a man to :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-08-2019, 06:21 AM
I would imagine Botham would be in there.

ACLeith
02-08-2019, 06:23 AM
Such drama at Edgbaston!

Maybe exacerbated by some very iffy umpiring. Almost always, DRS or ‘what if’ DRS shows the umpires getting it right, but today was a shocker! I saw at least two Broad wickets that would have been overturned on review, had Australia reviewed them.

There were also some poor reviews. England used up one at the start and one at the end where the ball was clearly missing the stumps. It happens, but not often. I wonder if the excitement and tension was getting to both sides and the umpires.

England made a great start and probably had an even better second session. 83-3 for lunch, and eight down for 150 odds at tea IIRC, Smith and Head being the only ones to steady the ship.

What a resurgence from Australia though. Smith’s innings will go into Ashes folklore, worthy in its own right as a one-man tour de force but reinforced by the circumstances of it being his Test return in the most hostile environment England can conjure up.

That is not to dismiss the input of Head, Siddle and Lyon though. Siddle in particular was critical to Australia saving something. He is a wily old bowler but has obviously learnt to bat a bit in English conditions from his time in the County Championship - I think he averaged in the thirties with Essex. Nathan Lyon was perfect, playing a straight bat to allow Smith to push the score on but also hitting a few sweet boundaries himself.

But for Australia, it was all about the skipper. In his last five innings against England, his batting average is a ridiculous, superlative, extraordinary, crazy 161!!

In his last five on English soil his average is 61.2, which sounds like a steep decline until you remember that averaging in the sixties is bordering on superhuman to begin with!

As for England, Broad will be overshadowed by Smith but took a great 5-86 including key wickets at the start. He also achieved 100 Test wickets against Australia, with Steve Smith for his century, which is a remarkable achievement. I’m not actually sure who has all achieved that, probably more likely to be modern-day bowlers given the increased number of Tests compared to decades ago. I will try and find out but Muralitharan, maybe Kumble, maybe even Jimmy Anderson in fact, seem plausible candidates if there are any.

If Broad was overshadowed by Smith he is also overshadowed by Jimmy Anderson and his calf strain. Anderson’s figures after his last over today were 4-3-1-0. You can’t replace that, and while Stone, Wood and Archer all have very good qualities, if Anderson is out for the series then it represents a massive advantage for Australia. As far as this game goes they need to capitalise on it, a win at Edgbaston is psychologically huge, especially given Lord’s is usually a happy hunting ground.

Fantastic and enthralling day today at Edgbaston and through nothing other than sheer self-interest I was praying for rain until Smith decided to go on his Nietzschean odyssey and show that in team sports, the collective is crucial but every so often one person can rise above everything and everyone else and shape what is around them.

Though Peter Siddle was magnificent too, I’m looking forward to seeing him bowl :greengrin
Fantastic review MA! I think you should start a "This is how it feels" thread about the series!

Was surprised England got to the close without losing a wicket!

JeMeSouviens
02-08-2019, 07:19 AM
I am intrigued by the stat about bowlers who have taken 100 Australian Test wickets (see above).

Despite my best attempts with Google, there doesn’t appear to be an obvious source.

Fortunately, Statsguru on ESPNCricinfo is a wealth of knowledge and information. I haven’t found a way of making a search with that criterion alone, but you can go into player histories and on the basis that you would have to take a lot of wickets generally to have one hundred Aussies, I started at the top.

Jimmy Anderson makes it, as does Kumble. Surprisingly Mura doesn’t. Courtney Walsh does too, can’t believe I never thought of him at first.

I suspect Curtly might and there’s a chance that the likes of Pollock or Donald from SAF may do too. A little less hope for Wasim and Waqir and then I think we are getting to a point in time where there simply weren’t enough matches played to generate the wickets - though I won’t rule out Richard Hadlee and Kapil Dev until I’ve checked their stats.

This is what cricket reduces a man to :greengrin

This should be it ...

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;opposition=2;template=results;t ype=bowling

IT Botham (ENG) 1977-1989 148
CA Walsh (WI) 1984-2001 135
Sir RJ Hadlee (NZ) 1973-1990 130
CEL Ambrose (WI) 1988-1999 128
RGD Willis (ENG) 1971-1983 128
A Kumble (INDIA) 1996-2008 111
W Rhodes (ENG) 1899-1926 109
SF Barnes (ENG) 1901-1912 106
DL Underwood (ENG) 1968-1980 105
JM Anderson (ENG) 2006-2019 104
AV Bedser (ENG) 1946-1954 104
LR Gibbs (WI) 1961-1976 103
R Peel (ENG) 1884-1896 101
SCJ Broad (ENG) 2009-2019 100

JeMeSouviens
02-08-2019, 10:48 AM
England are 31/1, Roy out for 10 to a good ball by all accounts.

Burns looking much better than v Ireland according to the commentators, 15no.

JeMeSouviens
02-08-2019, 11:41 AM
Root gets a life as he survives a review for caught behind. The ball missed his bat but clipped the stumps on the way through. The bails jumped but didn't come off!

54/1

JeMeSouviens
02-08-2019, 11:47 AM
The ball is turning for Nathan Lyon. On day 2! Him and Moeen could well have a big say in the game.

Injury news - Jimmy Anderson will bat but no decision taken on whether he will bowl in the 2nd innings.

59/1

JeMeSouviens
02-08-2019, 01:41 PM
100 partnership between Burns & Root.

Canny play and a bit of luck - 122/1

JeMeSouviens
02-08-2019, 02:22 PM
Root out for 57, c&b Siddle. 154/2

Pretty Boy
02-08-2019, 02:24 PM
I'm enjoying the cricket but one thing is annoying and confusing me.

Have cricketers always had numbers on their tops? I'm sure it must be a new thing. Also what do they mean?

JeMeSouviens
02-08-2019, 02:51 PM
I'm enjoying the cricket but one thing is annoying and confusing me.

Have cricketers always had numbers on their tops? I'm sure it must be a new thing. Also what do they mean?

They usually do in one day or T20. This is the first time in a test match.

They don't really mean anything, it's just a way for the crowd to recognise who's who.

I only just noticed Root has 66 - clever. :wink:

Pretty Boy
02-08-2019, 06:07 PM
I enjoyed that today. Watched a bit when I was meant to be working, watched a bit with an old English guy when I nipped to the pub for 40 minutes at lunchtime (proper test match. Attritional and bloody hard work was his assessment) then watched a bit with my Grandad tonight.

Looking forward to watching a fair bit before and after the football tomorrow. I can see why people get hooked on cricket.

weecounty hibby
02-08-2019, 06:12 PM
Finish work early on a Friday and managed to watch from about 2:30 onwards. Proper test match stuff today, not just like 4 one day internationals tagged together. Chuffed for Burns to make a ton and carry his bat, great effort and that requires amazing levels of concentration. All in all a good days cricket

Mibbes Aye
02-08-2019, 09:53 PM
This should be it ...

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;opposition=2;template=results;t ype=bowling

IT Botham (ENG) 1977-1989 148 (tel:1977-1989 148)
CA Walsh (WI) 1984-2001 135 (tel:1984-2001 135)
Sir RJ Hadlee (NZ) 1973-1990 130 (tel:1973-1990 130)
CEL Ambrose (WI) 1988-1999 128 (tel:1988-1999 128)
RGD Willis (ENG) 1971-1983 128 (tel:1971-1983 128)
A Kumble (INDIA) 1996-2008 111 (tel:1996-2008 111)
W Rhodes (ENG) 1899-1926 109 (tel:1899-1926 109)
SF Barnes (ENG) 1901-1912 106 (tel:1901-1912 106)
DL Underwood (ENG) 1968-1980 105 (tel:1968-1980 105)
JM Anderson (ENG) 2006-2019 104 (tel:2006-2019 104)
AV Bedser (ENG) 1946-1954 104 (tel:1946-1954 104)
LR Gibbs (WI) 1961-1976 103 (tel:1961-1976 103)
R Peel (ENG) 1884-1896 101 (tel:1884-1896 101)
SCJ Broad (ENG) 2009-2019 100 (tel:2009-2019 100)

Well done that man.

I wouldn’t have an earthly about the turn of the century bowlers but I feel stupid for forgetting the likes of Bob Willis, Derek Underwood and Beefy.

In their time they definitely ended up playing less Tests than current players do but they would have played the regular Ashes series, which often weren’t just five matches but often six.

With a lengthy career like they all had then it is no surprise they got a lot of wickets. I suspect the percentage of appearances against Australia in their Test careers was a fair bit higher for them than current players (though the format of the Ashes means it will still be high for both sides).

lord bunberry
02-08-2019, 10:21 PM
Fantastic innings from Burns today, he rode his luck at times, but every batsman who makes a big score does. Still a lot of batting in that England team, they’ve got to be looking at 400 now.

Mibbes Aye
02-08-2019, 10:32 PM
Fantastic review MA! I think you should start a "This is how it feels" thread about the series!

Was surprised England got to the close without losing a wicket!

That’s kind, cheers. I won’t match Jonnyboy’s quality but I will try to offer up something for each day. It will be variable though :greengrin. Today was a drive down to Birmingham so I have been pretty reliant on TMS. Tomorrow I’m at the game but a comp bar means that the quality of my interpretation of the game will start high and rapidly descend (or who knows, maybe improve?)

lord bunberry
02-08-2019, 10:34 PM
That’s kind, cheers. I won’t match Jonnyboy’s quality but I will try to offer up something for each day. It will be variable though :greengrin. Today was a drive down to Birmingham so I have been pretty reliant on TMS. Tomorrow I’m at the game but a comp bar means that the quality of my interpretation of the game will start high and rapidly descend (or who knows, maybe improve?)
God help us :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
02-08-2019, 11:05 PM
I enjoyed that today. Watched a bit when I was meant to be working, watched a bit with an old English guy when I nipped to the pub for 40 minutes at lunchtime (proper test match. Attritional and bloody hard work was his assessment) then watched a bit with my Grandad tonight.

Looking forward to watching a fair bit before and after the football tomorrow. I can see why people get hooked on cricket.

Finish work early on a Friday and managed to watch from about 2:30 onwards. Proper test match stuff today, not just like 4 one day internationals tagged together. Chuffed for Burns to make a ton and carry his bat, great effort and that requires amazing levels of concentration. All in all a good days cricket

Wholeheartedly agree with both posts. I caught most of today’s play on TMS, as I have been in the car heading down to Brum, but TMS is always a sophisticated guide.

Thursday was amazing cricket, explosive bowling followed by single, bloody-minded batsmanship, all in one day. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Today was the utter opposite. Test cricket as a game of cat-and-mouse, patience, niggling away, trying to apply pressure, trying to alleviate pressure. I enjoyed every minute of it.

If you want explosives you will get that from T20 and fifty-overs. You will also get it occasionally in Test cricket. But if you want chess then you only get that from Test matches, it is a remarkable combination of strategy, thinking, skill, experience and sheer bloody luck. Affected by the slightest change in weather conditions, God I love it :greengrin

So, to the game itself. Joe Root answered the question and posted a decent score at three, coming in and needing to do so, facing a pretty good attack on a pitch at the time was offering something, even if it flattened. It is hard to see how he cannot continue at three now, which makes the most sense for England.

They still have to sort out one and two (will turn to Burns shortly), but once that is settled they can look at a middle order of Roy, Stokes, Bairstow and Buttler, and still know that Woakes and Moeen and Curran can throw the bat a bit.

As for Rory Burns, he had a point to prove, a point he needed to prove and I guess he proved it, congratulations to him. Making a maiden century for your team is a massive accomplishment and one he will always carry with him.

I listened to the patch where he was in the nineties, I think he faced 35 or 36 balls from being on 90 to making his century and that must have been excoriating. He did it though, and he has had a hard time and faced a fair amount of criticism, so well done IMO.

Before this game started I was hoping both teams might go with an extra paceman. It is fair to say I called that one wrong! The pitch has been prepared as a bit of a deadener and has been offering something to the spinners for a while.

Gamble for England as Moeen can capitalise on a pitch like this but Nathan Lyon will be relishing what’s on offer in a second innings. That all depends on Australia doing work early on Saturday and giving themselves a chance to bat - if they don’t then England will set a lead and the Aussies will be on the back foot, with almost all their top order under pressure having failed in the first innings.

But England will be bowling without Jimmy Anderson probably? Big asks for Broad, Stokes and Woakes.

This is why I love Test cricket. Halfway through the first day I was panicking that coming down on the Saturday was a waste or a limited experience. Cricket turns on very slight margins and all of a sudden Saturday becomes a pivotal day.

Unless it rains :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
02-08-2019, 11:07 PM
God help us :greengrin

If I try and post on the Holy Ground please stop me :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
03-08-2019, 07:58 AM
Birmingham weather update - actually quite cool and slightly overcast just now but with a feeling that it will get a lot warmer very soon, but retain the mugginess. In other words, good bowling weather.

I think we might see see some showers at some point though but hopefully nothing to hold up play to any great degree.

Critical morning session coming up. Can Australia take the early wickets they desperately need? Can England push on and set a first innings total that makes it their game to lose? We shall find out!

lord bunberry
03-08-2019, 11:18 AM
Game on now. Burns out for 133 and Ali out for a duck both to Lyons in the same over. 300/7.

lord bunberry
03-08-2019, 11:22 AM
Bairstow goes as well to Siddle for 8. 300/8.

Pretty Boy
03-08-2019, 11:26 AM
Bit of a collapse from England. Bairstow going is a blow.

weecounty hibby
03-08-2019, 11:35 AM
I think England needed a lead of at least 150. Batting last on that wicket will be no fun at all and chasing 250+ will not happen. Hope the tail wags

Mibbes Aye
03-08-2019, 11:46 AM
Aussies are bowling pretty tight, Cummins and Siddle in particular, and Lyon snagging a couple of wickets.

The Hollies stand is lively already. Prediction is raucous for the afternoon session and riotous after tea!

Agree with above post, this pitch will suit Nathan Lyon down to the ground come the fourth innings.

Pretty Boy
03-08-2019, 12:43 PM
That was all a bit mental. I know nothing about cricket but even I could see Ali had to play that ball and then Woakes banging a six when everyone else was on their way to the buffet table for sandwiches.

Mibbes Aye
03-08-2019, 01:27 PM
The Hollies stand singing “He’s got sandpaper in his hands!” to the tune of “He’s got the whole world in his hands”...

LMFAO

Mibbes Aye
03-08-2019, 02:36 PM
And Australia finally end England. That means an early tea and a slightly longer evening session which should tell us a lot about which side will emerge triumphant.

Mibbes Aye
03-08-2019, 02:41 PM
That was all a bit mental. I know nothing about cricket but even I could see Ali had to play that ball and then Woakes banging a six when everyone else was on their way to the buffet table for sandwiches.

Woakes is a handy batsman and this is his home ground. He put on a good stand with Broad. He is one of those players it is impossible not to like.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-08-2019, 03:00 PM
Fine but of fancy dress by the England fans in their '66 WC strips and the guy dressed as the trophy. 👏

Mibbes Aye
03-08-2019, 03:50 PM
I’m a bit away from the noisy stand but the fancy dress so far has been good. Fox being chased by guys in hunting dress (morally objectionable I know) and a bunch of guys dressed as cardinals blessing the stand.

Zazu62
03-08-2019, 04:41 PM
How do u get Steve Smith out? England really missing Anderson

Pretty Boy
03-08-2019, 05:26 PM
What do Australia need to look like winning it? Could a lead of 170-200 be enough?

Mibbes Aye
03-08-2019, 07:48 PM
What do Australia need to look like winning it? Could a lead of 170-200 be enough?

The beauty of cricket.

All things being equal, it’s a rough pitch and the spinner Nathan Lyon will find joy from it.

But it is an English pitch and they have a whole load of batsmen who can score big and fast runs.

Australia are in a decent position. They can put on a big score and take the game away from England. Yet they could be skittled and lose it easily/

If Australia can fashion a stand tomorrow I think they may have it, which would be a massive psychological advantage; given Edgbaston is seen as holy ground in the Ashes

Mibbes Aye
03-08-2019, 08:01 PM

None of my previous post answered your question :greengrin

I reckon a 200 lead would be ample, the pitch is very inviting to the bowlers.

Anything less, I’m not so sure.

Tobias Funke
03-08-2019, 08:43 PM
The beauty of cricket.

All things being equal, it’s a rough pitch and the spinner Nathan Lyon will find joy from it.

But it is an English pitch and they have a whole load of batsmen who can score big and fast runs.

Australia are in a decent position. They can put on a big score and take the game away from England. Yet they could be skittled and lose it easily/

If Australia can fashion a stand tomorrow I think they may have it, which would be a massive psychological advantage; given Edgbaston is seen as holy ground in the Ashes

Chasing anything over 150 will be dicey, I can see both sides have numerous batting collapses this series and England might just provide one tomorrow/Monday.

Sergey
03-08-2019, 08:44 PM
None of my previous post answered your question :greengrin

I reckon a 200 lead would be ample, the pitch is very inviting to the bowlers.

Anything less, I’m not so sure.

The match hinges on the opening half hour tomorrow, IMHO. If Australia can see out any moisture in the pitch and a bit of shine off the ball then they can maybe bat until tea with a healthy lead. Batting last on this wicket and you would struggle to make 200 (as you rightly state).

Good match...and the bookies price En-gur-land at 8/13, which is a price I might lay...especially with a bowler crocked.

Mibbes Aye
04-08-2019, 12:00 AM
Match analysis for what it’s worth, I soaked up hospitality today so this is through a hops and grapes soaked lens :greengrin

First big news is we got a seat upgrade! It is too convoluted to go into why but we got shifted to within a block of the players, superb seats, it was absolutely brilliant!!! Edgbaston staff were absolutely lovely and couldn’t be more helpful.

My daughter is exploring music just now, she is ten. She went to see the Queen film and now adores ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’. I have to listen to it in the car on repeat whenever we drive. Thursday was very much that song, “Thunderbolt and lightning, very, very frightening”, pure drama throughout from the English bowling onslaught to Steve Smith making his stand.

Friday was more classically Test cricket and today was nothing if not the epitome of what the game should be like. No fireworks from batsmen or bowlers, just patient, nagging bowling, trying to unsettle the batsmen and produce a wicket.

The morning session was a thing of beauty, I really mean that. It was a thing of beauty. Cummins and Siddle bowling line and length in overcast conditions, just waiting for the ball to move half an inch or the batsman to play a quarter of a second too late. Gorgeous, lovely, patient, pretty much unrewarded cricket. Nathan Lyon ended up reaping most of the rewards and he will undoubtedly do so in the fourth innings but he gained a lot from the tireless work of the seamers at the other end.

I thought England did well though. The stand between Woakes and Broad was particularly handsome and had a big impact on today’s play. Jofra will get a chance in the next match because Jimmy Anderson can’t bowl, I suspect, but otherwise he would remain on the touchlines in favour of Woakes.

As the game stands, England have probably the slight advantage but it is Australia’s match to lose, given the fourth innings will likely be a skittle run.

Talking earlier to some Australians in my section and I think we agreed that any result rather than a loss would be a happy result in Birmingham.

It is not going to last to a draw and it feels likely that England will win, but a solid bat tomorrow from Smith and/or one of the lower order and suddenly the pressure is on England.

Great Test match with all the old cliches - the first hour tomorrow will be revealing :greengrin

ACLeith
04-08-2019, 05:57 AM
Great Test match with all the old cliches - the first hour tomorrow will be revealing :greengrin

Listened to TMS early evening and this is exactly what they said, Get Smith in the first hour and England should get there, another massive innings from him and Aussies should be one up.

I know loads of folk who say cricket is "boring, especially that 5 day rubbish". This match won't even change their minds, lost causes.

But MA = TMS as far as .net is concerned, even after hospitality 👍

Mibbes Aye
04-08-2019, 09:58 AM
Listened to TMS early evening and this is exactly what they said, Get Smith in the first hour and England should get there, another massive innings from him and Aussies should be one up.

I know loads of folk who say cricket is "boring, especially that 5 day rubbish". This match won't even change their minds, lost causes.

But MA = TMS as far as .net is concerned, even after hospitality ��

It’s going to be a critical morning session, Test cricket at its best.

Just leaving Birmingham and the weather is muggier than a muggy mugger, good conditions for examining bowling.

G B Young
04-08-2019, 10:03 AM
What's the general consensus among cricket fans on here about England? Do you 'support' them as your 'home' team? A former work colleague of mine was a passionate cricket fan and very much supported the England team because he said there's no real rivalry with Scotland due to the fact Scotland play at a less elevated level. He also pointed out that Scots can and quite often have played for the England team down the years.

Personally I recall developing a passion for the game as a kid when I used to watch the England team including the likes of Tony Greig and Alan Knott (who I recall being a bit of a hero figure for some reason) and I have vivid memories of the terrifying West Indies pace bowlers of that era when the Windies were a fantastic team. Viv Richards was also a big favourite of mine.

I kind of went off the England team as the 'barmy army' type crowd started to make their presence felt more but I still think it's a great game. In fact I'd go so far as to say that if you were compelled to spend the rest of your life watching one particular sport cricket would probably be a better choice than football. I've spent a couple of days at the Grange watching Scotland matches and it's a very pleasant way to pass a day. Similar I'd say in some ways to watching a baseball game in the US.

Mibbes Aye
04-08-2019, 10:26 AM
What's the general consensus among cricket fans on here about England? Do you 'support' them as your 'home' team? A former work colleague of mine was a passionate cricket fan and very much supported the England team because he said there's no real rivalry with Scotland due to the fact Scotland play at a less elevated level. He also pointed out that Scots can and quite often have played for the England team down the years.

Personally I recall developing a passion for the game as a kid when I used to watch the England team including the likes of Tony Greig and Alan Knott (who I recall being a bit of a hero figure for some reason) and I have vivid memories of the terrifying West Indies pace bowlers of that era when the Windies were a fantastic team. Viv Richards was also a big favourite of mine.

I kind of went off the England team as the 'barmy army' type crowd started to make their presence felt more but I still think it's a great game. In fact I'd go so far as to say that if you were compelled to spend the rest of your life watching one particular sport cricket would probably be a better choice than football. I've spent a couple of days at the Grange watching Scotland matches and it's a very pleasant way to pass a day. Similar I'd say in some ways to watching a baseball game in the US.

I got into cricket from travelling in Australia and failing in love with it over there. Depending on the time of year and which part of the country you are in you have rugby union, rugby league, Aussie rules football, soccer, depending on what you prefer, but in the summer it is all about cricket. What struck me was the way the press covered it, very much the same way football was covered in Scotland or the U.K. Ansolutely no sense of it being a posh or elitist sport, this was everybody’s sport.

So, I will always have an affection for Australia, but if England can do well enough to win the series then I will welcome and applaud it. Cricket is so sophisticated, it isn’t just about teams, it is about individuals and personal battles and I would find it impossible not to want Joe Root to do well at three, or Jos Buttler to provide fireworks or Chris Woakes to take wickets in front of his home crowd.

It is actually a welcome relief from football for me. Yes, there is some emotional involvement in the game but I’m not tied in to some binary conclusion like in football where I am up or down depending on what happens to Hibs.

Huge day today in Birmingham. If Australia get a result here then I think they will take the Ashes on English soil for the first time in a long time.

lord bunberry
04-08-2019, 10:53 AM

I always support England at cricket as long as they’re not playing Scotland. It’s different to other sports as we’re not really rivals. It would nice to think that one day Scotland would become a test side, but I’d still want England to do well. I think the fact that cricket commentators are the best and most impartial of any sport makes it easy to just sit and appreciate the days play.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-08-2019, 11:11 AM
I always support England at cricket as long as they’re not playing Scotland. It’s different to other sports as we’re not really rivals. It would nice to think that one day Scotland would become a test side, but I’d still want England to do well. I think the fact that cricket commentators are the best and most impartial of any sport makes it easy to just sit and appreciate the days play.

That's where I am with it, to be honest I don't get involved in Test Matches that don't involve England. I can happily sit through a t20/one day match between two "neutral" nations though.

lord bunberry
04-08-2019, 11:12 AM
If Moeen Ali doesn’t get his act together very soon this will be his last game in this series. Denly looks more of a threat so far.

Mibbes Aye
04-08-2019, 11:12 AM

The quality of commentary on cricket is exceptional, whether BBC, ABC, Sky, BT or Channel 5, and Channel 4 before that.

When you compare it to football it practically makes you weep.

Mibbes Aye
04-08-2019, 11:18 AM
If Moeen Ali doesn’t get his act together very soon this will be his last game in this series. Denly looks more of a threat so far.

I really feel for Moeen but he is in a bad place at the moment form-wise.

Rashid offers something slightly different and can also bat a bit.

I have changed my mind a couple of times about this but I originally thought they would have been better with a fourth seamer for this match and Stokes as option five. Root and Denly can throw a bit of spin.

Obviously Anderson’s injury changed the dynamic and in fairness to Root, he is juggling the shift to three, and captaining in the field. Bowling a lot more overs is maybe a bit of an ask.

Zazu62
04-08-2019, 11:27 AM
What does Mo Ali bring to this team? His batting is terrible and his “off spin” isn’t much better. This England team are crying out for someone like Graham Swann.

lord bunberry
04-08-2019, 11:31 AM
I really feel for Moeen but he is in a bad place at the moment form-wise.

Rashid offers something slightly different and can also bat a bit.

I have changed my mind a couple of times about this but I originally thought they would have been better with a fourth seamer for this match and Stokes as option five. Root and Denly can throw a bit of spin.

Obviously Anderson’s injury changed the dynamic and in fairness to Root, he is juggling the shift to three, and captaining in the field. Bowling a lot more overs is maybe a bit of an ask.
I think you’re right about the fourth seamer. The lack of a genuine top class spinner means that picking one is a bit of a waste, especially if they’re not getting runs either. Denly has looked good so far and he might be the way to go. I’m sure Archer will come in for the next test and possibly Plunket if Anderson doesn’t make it. I’m not convinced by Rashid in red ball cricket.

lord bunberry
04-08-2019, 11:35 AM
What does Mo Ali bring to this team? His batting is terrible and his “off spin” isn’t much better. This England team are crying out for someone like Graham Swann.
It’s a shame he’s struggling so badly just now as he’s very good when he’s on form with the bat and the ball. He’s really low on confidence at the moment and he doesn’t come across as someone who has a lot of belief in himself.

Mibbes Aye
04-08-2019, 11:50 AM
I think you’re right about the fourth seamer. The lack of a genuine top class spinner means that picking one is a bit of a waste, especially if they’re not getting runs either. Denly has looked good so far and he might be the way to go. I’m sure Archer will come in for the next test and possibly Plunket if Anderson doesn’t make it. I’m not convinced by Rashid in red ball cricket.

Fair comment on Rashid in the longer game, the jury is still out.

ACLeith
04-08-2019, 11:51 AM
A few years ago I was watching England v Bangladesh early morning. My English cousin was staying with us and assumed I would be supporting Bangladesh; when I said I was neutral he asked why because "you always want England to lose at football". I replied that the difference was the media, the cricket commentators are fair and honest and not OTT and biased.

Zazu62
04-08-2019, 11:55 AM
It’s a shame he’s struggling so badly just now as he’s very good when he’s on form with the bat and the ball. He’s really low on confidence at the moment and he doesn’t come across as someone who has a lot of belief in himself.

There must be a decent off spinner kicking about in the county championship somewhere?

Mibbes Aye
04-08-2019, 12:08 PM
A few years ago I was watching England v Bangladesh early morning. My English cousin was staying with us and assumed I would be supporting Bangladesh; when I said I was neutral he asked why because "you always want England to lose at football". I replied that the difference was the media, the cricket commentators are fair and honest and not OTT and biased.

I would challenge anyone to listen to TMS or ABC, even if they didn’t like cricket and not come away thinking “That’s how sport should be covered”. I know cricket lends itself to commentary in a different way than more dynamic sports like football, but still!

Richie Benaud is a sad loss to cricket coverage but time moves on and the likes of Michael Atherton in particular has been an acute gain in the commentary box. Quietly knowledgeable and insightful.

With the Ashes we get the added benefit of Jim Maxwell, Glenn McGrath and Michael Slater. They obviously want Australia to do well but like you say it is fair, honest and unbiased.

I will give credit to Tuffers as well, he has been a great addition to the TMS team and does the down-to-earth stuff very well while providing good insights from a bowling perspective.

Mibbes Aye
04-08-2019, 12:16 PM

He is definitely low on confidence just now but when he is in form he adds a lot to the team. I’m actually not a huge fan but can see why England pick him.

As for who is kicking around in the Championship, I think England have far more options with seamers than spinners, as selection discussions probably show.

lord bunberry
04-08-2019, 12:21 PM
There must be a decent off spinner kicking about in the county championship somewhere?
Jack Leach was quite good during the winter tour, I don’t know if he’s fit or not though.

lord bunberry
04-08-2019, 12:26 PM
It makes it much easier to sit and watch the game and enjoy it. I like how the sky coverage always has ex players from whoever England are playing as part of the team. That would never happen in football.

G B Young
04-08-2019, 12:40 PM
It makes it much easier to sit and watch the game and enjoy it. I like how the sky coverage always has ex players from whoever England are playing as part of the team. That would never happen in football.

Good point. I agree with what everyone's saying about the balanced media coverage. Even in the World Cup final, when you could probably have forgiven the commentary teams for going mental at England's win, they remained very respectful of both sides - and rightly so.

What is also worth pointing out though, I feel, is that it's not just the English commentators who are utterly partisan when covering the England football team. The Scottish 'commentators' are as bad. Fans with microphones basically. The difference is that because England regularly qualify for major tournaments the coverage is more in your face whereas because Scotland haven't done so for so many years it's not something we're subjected to very often.

I often think that many football commentary teams bring so little insight to a match and offer nothing that you can't see for yourself that I would prefer to watch games without commentary. Cricket, on the other hand, is very much enhanced by expert commentary - so much so that it can even be pleasurable to listen to on the radio!!

Mibbes Aye
04-08-2019, 01:07 PM

Same on the radio. You are watching or listening and suddenly Waqir Younis, or Michael Holding or Russel Arnold pops up and it is a pleasure to hear an experienced Test player who has knowledge of their own team and is articulate and able to speak to camera or microphone.

Mibbes Aye
04-08-2019, 01:47 PM
I wholly expect the Australian legislature to introduce a law that all children born within the realm of the Australian state, male, female or transgender, be named Steve Smith.

Anyhting less would be a failure of civic duty.

Pretty Boy
04-08-2019, 02:54 PM
Would it be in England's interests to keep Australia batting as long as possible now? With a chance of rain tomorrow is trying to bat for the least amount of time and playing for the draw the right tactic from this position?

lord bunberry
04-08-2019, 03:06 PM
Good point. I agree with what everyone's saying about the balanced media coverage. Even in the World Cup final, when you could probably have forgiven the commentary teams for going mental at England's win, they remained very respectful of both sides - and rightly so.

What is also worth pointing out though, I feel, is that it's not just the English commentators who are utterly partisan when covering the England football team. The Scottish 'commentators' are as bad. Fans with microphones basically. The difference is that because England regularly qualify for major tournaments the coverage is more in your face whereas because Scotland haven't done so for so many years it's not something we're subjected to very often.

I often think that many football commentary teams bring so little insight to a match and offer nothing that you can't see for yourself that I would prefer to watch games without commentary. Cricket, on the other hand, is very much enhanced by expert commentary - so much so that it can even be pleasurable to listen to on the radio!!
The problem we have in this country that other countries don’t have is we have to listen to our main rivals commentary and pre and post match analysis. That wouldn’t happen in other countries, I’ve always thought a Scottish based show in major championships would reduce the hostility a fair bit.

lord bunberry
04-08-2019, 03:09 PM
Same on the radio. You are watching or listening and suddenly Waqir Younis, or Michael Holding or Russel Arnold pops up and it is a pleasure to hear an experienced Test player who has knowledge of their own team and is articulate and able to speak to camera or microphone.
Michael Holding is my favourite. You mentioned Richie Benaud earlier and he was undoubtedly the best there’s been.

Sergey
04-08-2019, 03:17 PM
Would it be in England's interests to keep Australia batting as long as possible now? With a chance of rain tomorrow is trying to bat for the least amount of time and playing for the draw the right tactic from this position?

Australia will most likely bat for another hour and bowl at England's openers for an hour tonight. If they can take a couple of wickets then they will have to bat out 90 overs tomorrow.

lord bunberry
04-08-2019, 03:22 PM
Australia will most likely bat for another hour and bowl at England's openers for an hour tonight. If they can take a couple of wickets then they will have to bat out 90 overs tomorrow.

Agreed, they’ll definitely want to have a go at England tonight. A bit of pace to begin with then Lyons will be brought on to take advantage of those rough patches.

lord bunberry
04-08-2019, 03:27 PM
Australia are scoring at will now.

Mibbes Aye
04-08-2019, 03:46 PM

Australia will want to up the score rate and give their bowlers time. Winning at Edgbaston is a huge psychological advantage for them. This is England’s bastion.

But you make a good point and yes, England might have thought that way. Australia will be live to it and they face the difficult decision about making a declaration which allows them enough time to take ten wickets and gives them enough space to defend their lead.

I think Australia have probably done enough now.

But like you say, the weather can intervene. For me, Australia have the moral victory in this game, and have faced England down at Edgbaston. Regardless of the final result it is no longer the fortress it was and that is not good news for England.

lord bunberry
04-08-2019, 04:15 PM
Ali with one of the worst deliveries in ashes history. I really feel for him now, he seems like such a decent man.

ACLeith
04-08-2019, 05:04 PM
I would challenge anyone to listen to TMS or ABC, even if they didn’t like cricket and not come away thinking “That’s how sport should be covered”. I know cricket lends itself to commentary in a different way than more dynamic sports like football, but still!

Richie Benaud is a sad loss to cricket coverage but time moves on and the likes of Michael Atherton in particular has been an acute gain in the commentary box. Quietly knowledgeable and insightful.

With the Ashes we get the added benefit of Jim Maxwell, Glenn McGrath and Michael Slater. They obviously want Australia to do well but like you say it is fair, honest and unbiased.

I will give credit to Tuffers as well, he has been a great addition to the TMS team and does the down-to-earth stuff very well while providing good insights from a bowling perspective.
The only one I would ditch is Boycott. Deliberately aggressive and argumentative. He talked about Trueman and Statham at one point - ye gads they were great 50 years ago. Then he beat that by mentioning Herbert Sutclffe!

He's to modern cricket commentary as Peter Allis is to golf 😱

weecounty hibby
04-08-2019, 05:04 PM
Only one result happening now unless the weather takes a turn for the worst. England need to find a way to get Steve Smith out or they will lose the series

Mibbes Aye
04-08-2019, 05:21 PM
The only one I would ditch is Boycott. Deliberately aggressive and argumentative. He talked about Trueman and Statham at one point - ye gads they were great 50 years ago. Then he beat that by mentioning Herbert Sutclffe!

:agree:

Boycott is awful but has gigs with Sky and BBC! How does that work?!

Cricket has changed so much in the last five years, let alone the last ten.

Mibbes Aye
04-08-2019, 05:22 PM
Only one result happening now unless the weather takes a turn for the worst. England need to find a way to get Steve Smith out or they will lose the series

And Warner will find runs. So will Bancroft and Wade.

Sergey
04-08-2019, 07:06 PM

Boycott is awful but has gigs with Sky and BBC! How does that work?!

Cricket has changed so much in the last five years, let alone the last ten.

I actually don't mind, Boycott as I think he's fairly harmless (his ex-wife may argue that fact) and he knows the game as well as anyone.

TMS - where does one start as it's an Institution? I listened for most of the day and there was an absolute belter of a comment with Tufnell when a pigeon in his garden had died. It had been an ongoing story for a few days and it was simply classic radio that Marconi would have been proud of. Blowers - CMJ - Agnew now at the helm with great contributors, especially the guy who struts out the stats (whose name has escaped me).

These long broadcasts with very little action to actually commentate on is a real skill. Cycling is another sport where not a lot can happen and they have to 'space fill' in the broadcast. Carlton Kirby on Eurosport is another who can waffle on about the most bizarre range of topics that has absolutely nothing to do with sport. Fantastic to listen to and someone who would be an addition to the TMS team...unfortunately cycling is his sport (he also does some winter sports when the cycling season is closed).

Tomorrow - I'm ambivalent as I laid England last night when they were odds-on and they can't now win so I'm quids in. 560 balls to face is a huge ask and I've got a feeling that Australia can take the 10 wickets. I'm at an antique auction tomorrow afternoon and will miss it but will check my phone for updates and catch the highlights in the evening.

Zazu62
04-08-2019, 11:30 PM
Australia will want to up the score rate and give their bowlers time. Winning at Edgbaston is a huge psychological advantage for them. This is England’s bastion.

But you make a good point and yes, England might have thought that way. Australia will be live to it and they face the difficult decision about making a declaration which allows them enough time to take ten wickets and gives them enough space to defend their lead.

I think Australia have probably done enough now.

But like you say, the weather can intervene. For me, Australia have the moral victory in this game, and have faced England down at Edgbaston. Regardless of the final result it is no longer the fortress it was and that is not good news for England.

Yeah but James Anderson got injured after 4 overs that helps a lot

Mibbes Aye
05-08-2019, 09:14 AM

It certainly did, those four overs were superbly tight bowling.

I guess an Australian would challenge whether England would have won the Ashes in 2005 had Glenn McGrath not got injured warming up!

Zazu62
05-08-2019, 09:57 AM
It certainly did, those four overs were superbly tight bowling.

I guess an Australian would challenge whether England would have won the Ashes in 2005 had Glenn McGrath not got injured warming up!

Yeah I know what your saying but McGrath got injured before the game England have effectively being playing with 10 men.

BigKev
05-08-2019, 10:15 AM
Great start for the Aussies. 19/1.

This will be a good test for Root. Let's see if he can carry England "Smith" style.

JeMeSouviens
05-08-2019, 10:38 AM
I actually don't mind, Boycott as I think he's fairly harmless (his ex-wife may argue that fact) and he knows the game as well as anyone.

TMS - where does one start as it's an Institution? I listened for most of the day and there was an absolute belter of a comment with Tufnell when a pigeon in his garden had died. It had been an ongoing story for a few days and it was simply classic radio that Marconi would have been proud of. Blowers - CMJ - Agnew now at the helm with great contributors, especially the guy who struts out the stats (whose name has escaped me).

These long broadcasts with very little action to actually commentate on is a real skill. Cycling is another sport where not a lot can happen and they have to 'space fill' in the broadcast. Carlton Kirby on Eurosport is another who can waffle on about the most bizarre range of topics that has absolutely nothing to do with sport. Fantastic to listen to and someone who would be an addition to the TMS team...unfortunately cycling is his sport (he also does some winter sports when the cycling season is closed).

Tomorrow - I'm ambivalent as I laid England last night when they were odds-on and they can't now win so I'm quids in. 560 balls to face is a huge ask and I've got a feeling that Australia can take the 10 wickets. I'm at an antique auction tomorrow afternoon and will miss it but will check my phone for updates and catch the highlights in the evening.

Boycott's like some mad old uncle that the rest of the TMS family (mostly) gently rip the pish out of. Graeme Swann does a brilliant impersonation and Aggers can be hilarious with him. There was a sequence the other day where they were discussing a 327 ball century Boycott had made against Leicestershire that was priceless. :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-08-2019, 11:03 AM

I was going to make the same point.

JeMeSouviens
05-08-2019, 11:37 AM
Roy out trying to charge Lyon. Dear oh dear. I think it's fair to say the experiment of Roy as test opener hasn't gone too well so far. Will he learn from it?

JeMeSouviens
05-08-2019, 11:39 AM
Uh oh, Denly out as well now. I think this will be over before tea ...

JeMeSouviens
05-08-2019, 11:55 AM
Great start for the Aussies. 19/1.

This will be a good test for Root. Let's see if he can carry England "Smith" style.

That'll be a "no" then. Root out. 85/4. 3 for Lyon who is doing everything Moeen didn't.

lord bunberry
05-08-2019, 12:02 PM
That'll be a "no" then. Root out. 85/4. 3 for Lyon who is doing everything Moeen didn't.
It’s going to be a long couple of sessions for England to bat through now. 85/4 at lunch.

ACLeith
05-08-2019, 01:06 PM
Uh oh, Denly out as well now. I think this will be over before tea ...

Don't think they'll bother heating up the sausage rolls now. 97/6

Edit 97/7

lord bunberry
05-08-2019, 01:07 PM
Don't think they'll bother heating up the sausage rolls now. 97/6
Make that 97/7. The fat lady is clearing her throat.

JeMeSouviens
05-08-2019, 01:33 PM
Woakes going down fighting. They might make the drinks break! :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
05-08-2019, 02:15 PM
All over.

Aussies take a 1-0 lead from "Fortress" Edgbaston.

heretoday
05-08-2019, 02:53 PM
No idea how to dig in and defend. This one day slogging has been the ruin of the proper game.

Tobias Funke
05-08-2019, 04:48 PM
Chasing anything over 150 will be dicey, I can see both sides have numerous batting collapses this series and England might just provide one tomorrow/Monday.

Wasn’t far off here!

Tobias Funke
05-08-2019, 04:49 PM
No idea how to dig in and defend. This one day slogging has been the ruin of the proper game.

100%. Too many in this England side who can’t seem to shift from ODI mode to tests.

Mibbes Aye
05-08-2019, 06:31 PM
What a match and what a rollercoaster given Australia were 122-8 on day one!!!

Settle into your seats folks, this will be a long post but there are many talking points from this match.

It is hard not to prioritise the umpiring. DRS so often highlights umpires getting split-second decisions exactly right but this match has been a stinker for decisions getting overturned. My understanding is there are only half a dozen or so umpires who can manage the Ashes due to the neutrality rule. Perhaps need more umpires or suspend neutrality - cricket is cricket and I would trust an umpire to make an objective decision.

In terms of today, Australia were absolutely clinical. Lyon hit 350 wickets and had his best-ecver figures against England. I saw him being interviewed before play and he was incredibly relaxed, really looking forward to the day.

He was of course superbly supported by the seamers. Siddle and Pattinson did very well but Pat Cummins was the star. If you follow the cricket threads on here you are probably bored silly of me talking up Paddy Cummins but I think he is exceptional. 4-32 today and reaching a hundred Test wickets at a frankly silly average of around 21. And he can bat.

For those who who like the psychodrama of Test cricket there was maybe nothing better than the gradual tightening of the field as England lost wickets. Once it got into the bottom order it was getting silly, the batsman was absolutely surrounded by close fielders and it was no wonder that Lyon was squeezing out wickets almost on demand. When you are facing that sort of pressure, then a rotating attack of three top-classs seamers from the other end, where do you go?

Emgland undoubtedly were weakened by losing Anderson’s bowling and it is curious that he batted, risking adding more injury to his calf. There is a gap between now and Lord’s though and at Anderson’s stage, Ashes matches are running out so I can understand the desire to play.

Looking at the match overall, Australia first, it is impossible not to comment on Steve Smith and his sheer triumph of will. First Test back, hostile crowd, who knows what mental and emotional pressure, not captain anymore, playing at England’s favourite Ashes home ground.

First innings, coming in with your team in desperate straits. Big century. Second innings, needing to set an insurmountable target. Big century. Psychologically he has damaged England, because Warner, who failed in this Test, is too good not to come good, same with Bancroft.

Matthew Wade did ever so well in the second innings but unfairly overshadowed by Smith. After his failure in the first, he needed a score in the second and made a fine century. He has justified his place, especially given he was being criticised by ex-selectors like Mark Waugh. Travis Head Similarly had a good knock for his half-century, I like him a lot. He is that kind of Aussie middle-order batsman who can put on a big score and then bowl a bit. I think he bats higher up in the shorter game.

weecounty hibby
05-08-2019, 06:38 PM
Decent test match and my overiding feeling is that Australia are a test match team mostly. England are mostly one day players playing in a test side. Aus to win the series at least 3-0.

Mibbes Aye
05-08-2019, 06:59 PM
Part two :greengrin

What questions are there for Australia? Khawaja did just enough again but it is inescapable that to play in his position you have to inspire a lot more confidence. Otherwise I think they are set, other than they have the brutal problem of remembering they have Mitchell Starc on the bench. I struggle to see how you drop Siddle, and that’s not because of his batting extravaganza but on his line and length tightness. Pattinson might drop out at Lord’s but that feels very unfair, he did well in Birmingham.

Before the start of this Test I questioned whether both teams should go with four proper seamers and a spinner. If Warner and Bancroft bat like they should then I would be tempted to attack, drop Khawaja and move everyone else up one, giving the room to allow all four seamers. Risky but rewarding.

As for England, I bet they wish they had gone with four seamers! Stokes is mercurial, on his day he is as good as anyone in the attack, but if he is not on fire then he is a very expensive change bowler. It is hard not to feel sorry for Moeen, he is so short on confidence and it is so visible. I think Root and Denly bowled so many overs that it just reinforces the lack of confidence in him. I also think he has had a harsh time as this sort of hybrid player England seem to want - he has batted everywhere from 1-9 I think.

Cant see how Root doesn’t stay at three now, England don’t have an alternative and he did okay. Rory Burns I remain to be convinced about but a decent century certainly buys him time :greengrin. Jason Roy looks like a man on a night out socially, holding his partner’s coat while they are in the bathroom -he wants to be at four, England want him to be at four, cricket fans want him to be at four. The sooner they get him at four the more comfortable we will all feel. If nothing else because his dismissal in the second innings was massively, massively uncomfortable and awkward - nobody will mention it out of politeness but we all saw it happen and it wasn’t pleasant!

Cant see Anderson bowling at Lord’s So one of Stone, Archer or Wood, unless England go for the humane approach of resting Moeen, playing a fourth seamer and asking Root and Denly to pick it up. That might be unlikely as Root has mentioned that playing at three adds more psychological pressure. Given he is captaining in the field as well then bowling more overs might be a big ask? If Moeen is retained then my money would be on Archer to replace Anderson.

One name that will be straight in is Chris Woakes. He had a great game on home soil and has an outstanding record at Lord’s.

On a final note, sad but sort of nice that Dale Steyn announced his retirement from Test cricket. I say sort of nice because it gives a chance to acknowledge it. He will still play ODIs and T20.

Anyway, 439 Test wickets. Anybody who has seen him on form will recognise how he could blow opposition apart. A joy to watch and he joins the ranks of those fast bowlers who have made Test cricket such a joy to watch.

JeMeSouviens
05-08-2019, 10:51 PM
Moeen definitely needs rested. Maybe Leach might come back as spinner/opener. :greengrin

weecounty hibby
06-08-2019, 04:45 PM
Anderson out of 2nd test. Not good news at all

JeMeSouviens
06-08-2019, 05:45 PM
Anderson out of 2nd test. Not good news at all

Jofra Archer took 6 wickets and scored a century for Sussex 2nd XI. Ok, the level's not great but he seems to be fit. I think Mark Wood is ruled out.

Archer for Anderson, Leach (or another spinner I don't know about) for Moeen, I would think.

Mibbes Aye
06-08-2019, 07:55 PM
Jofra Archer took 6 wickets and scored a century for Sussex 2nd XI. Ok, the level's not great but he seems to be fit. I think Mark Wood is ruled out.

Archer for Anderson, Leach (or another spinner I don't know about) for Moeen, I would think.

I think you are right about Archer getting the nod, the 2nd XI game was all about getting overs on the board. He only bowled 12 overs though, he will be looking at 40-50 in the next Test all things being equal and that could ask questions of his fitness. I don’t think he has bowled outwith the short game for nearly a year other than this 2nd XI game, so the stresses and strains of bowling again and again in two innings is something his body will not be used to.

I’m not sure Woakes is 100% fit either TBH. And if there isn’t a change to spin, or actually even if there is, England run the risk of being flayed, putting more pressure on the quicks.

Certainly David Warner will be champing at the bit to get runs on the board.

Stonewall
06-08-2019, 10:18 PM
Here’s my thoughts: why do England always make their best players captain? It never works. Vaughan, Strauss, Cook etc were far less effective after becoming captain and Root has followed that pattern.

The bottom line is you bat your best player where he wants to bat and you don’t as a matter of course make your best batter captain. I’ve no sympathy over Anderson getting injured. Fast bowlers in their mid 30s tend to break down, we selected two, go figure.

Can’t wait for the next test.

Mibbes Aye
13-08-2019, 07:01 PM
It’s back :greengrin

The Second Test commences tomorrow at Lord’s, usually a happy hunting ground for Australia.

Unfortunately the forecast is poor, looking like heavy rain tomorrow and also heavy spells of showers at various points on Friday and Saturday. I think we may be lucky to see a result in this match.

For Australia, the talk is that Pattinson is being rested from the attack, with the likelihood that Josh Hazlewood will come in. He took 5-88 the last time he played at Lord’s in the Ashes. That would mean Starc sits out again, but with Australia’s rotation policy you would expect to see him in the Third Test. The Aussies certainly have depth in their pace attack.

For England, decisions to be made. Archer will be in for Anderson and carrying no small load of expectation but he has confidence and he certainly has pace. Leach for Moeen is the tougher one as it could be a real chastening for him. As a left-handler he loses the advantage the right-handed Moeen would have, bowling to an Australian top and middle order that is rammed with left-handers. If it is any consolation, the Australians do have a right-handed batsman near the top. Unfortunately his name is Steve Smith.

Given the weather forecast there is an argument for England being daring and dropping Denly to be replaced by Curran. On a slick pitch where quick wickets will be necessary to win the match then this move would give England plenty options in attack. I suspect they won’t but think they should.

Hopefully the weather turns out better than expected as the First Test has got us all salivating for more!

weecounty hibby
13-08-2019, 07:20 PM
My posts on cricket are much briefer than yours but the only way this won't be a positive result for Australia is if the weather takes a hand. I am very interested to see how Archer goes in a test match

weecounty hibby
13-08-2019, 07:20 PM
Also there are a number of England players who have a o lot to prove, not least Root with his captaincy

lord bunberry
13-08-2019, 10:16 PM
It’s back :greengrin

The Second Test commences tomorrow at Lord’s, usually a happy hunting ground for Australia.

Unfortunately the forecast is poor, looking like heavy rain tomorrow and also heavy spells of showers at various points on Friday and Saturday. I think we may be lucky to see a result in this match.

For Australia, the talk is that Pattinson is being rested from the attack, with the likelihood that Josh Hazlewood will come in. He took 5-88 the last time he played at Lord’s in the Ashes. That would mean Starc sits out again, but with Australia’s rotation policy you would expect to see him in the Third Test. The Aussies certainly have depth in their pace attack.

For England, decisions to be made. Archer will be in for Anderson and carrying no small load of expectation but he has confidence and he certainly has pace. Leach for Moeen is the tougher one as it could be a real chastening for him. As a left-handler he loses the advantage the right-handed Moeen would have, bowling to an Australian top and middle order that is rammed with left-handers. If it is any consolation, the Australians do have a right-handed batsman near the top. Unfortunately his name is Steve Smith.

Given the weather forecast there is an argument for England being daring and dropping Denly to be replaced by Curran. On a slick pitch where quick wickets will be necessary to win the match then this move would give England plenty options in attack. I suspect they won’t but think they should.

Hopefully the weather turns out better than expected as the First Test has got us all salivating for more!
I’d definitely bring Curran in. England won’t win this test match by outscoring Australia imo, and it’s not like Curran can’t bat. They need to take wickets and put the Aussies under pressure at a venue they always do well at.
The toss will be absolutely vital tomorrow and could weather permitting decide the game.
Also just to add Woakes has an outstanding record at Lords and if he can produce, then England have a real chance. That’s if Hazelwood doesn’t repeat his previous Lords exploits.:greengrin

JeMeSouviens
14-08-2019, 09:23 AM
Looks like we'll be lucky to see any play at all today.

lord bunberry
14-08-2019, 01:43 PM
Looking like we’re going to get some play today.

JeMeSouviens
14-08-2019, 03:41 PM
Looking like we’re going to get some play today.

Nope, abandoned.

heretoday
14-08-2019, 05:29 PM
Four days should be more than enough for a test these days.

Mibbes Aye
14-08-2019, 07:22 PM
Four days should be more than enough for a test these days.

I was convinced of that before the First Test :greengrin

I think tomorrow will be a day that suits whoever bats but Friday and Saturday are going to be troublesome with the weather and suit the bowlers, if there isn’t scope for play. Potential route to victory is to win the toss, bat big tomorrow, even at the risk of being bowled out, or alternatively making a modest declaration to give your bowlers the best of play Fri-Sat.

But if I’m Australia, I’m already one up and Edgbaston is out the way, So is it worth the risk? If I’m England, I know there are issues in a couple of areas of team selection and Australia do well at Lord’s So is it worth the risk, with three matches still to play?

There’s a real chance this could fizzle out, which would be a shame, but Test matches can turn on one or two sessions so hopefully we get something out of this match!

JeMeSouviens
15-08-2019, 09:34 AM
Aus win the toss and choose to bowl.

Leach in for England, Curran misses out.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-08-2019, 10:09 AM
Roy out 0-1

JeMeSouviens
15-08-2019, 11:15 AM
Root out for 14. Denly struggling, currently 9 no. Burns more resolute, 16 no.

40/2

JeMeSouviens
15-08-2019, 11:49 AM
Nervous moments as Burns dropped in the gully and Denly survives a close lbw review.

Since then they have stabilised, 72/2

Honours even I think, if they can get through to lunch unscathed.

JeMeSouviens
15-08-2019, 12:11 PM
Lunch 76/2

Burns 34 & Denly 27. 50 partnership between those 2.

lord bunberry
15-08-2019, 12:27 PM
Pitch looks slow, if these two can hang around there’s a runs to be had.

lord bunberry
15-08-2019, 01:03 PM
Denly goes for 30. Hazelwood is bowling really well.

lord bunberry
15-08-2019, 01:43 PM
Burns goes for 53, great catch from Bancroft.

JeMeSouviens
15-08-2019, 02:17 PM
Buttler & Stokes only get 12 & 13 respectively.

Eng in deep trouble now: 146/6

BroxburnHibee
15-08-2019, 02:59 PM
This is gonna be a 5-0 whitewash.

JeMeSouviens
15-08-2019, 03:20 PM
This is gonna be a 5-0 whitewash.

Bairstow & Woakes have rallied somewhat - 201/6 at tea.

The weather looks crap tomorrow. If England can get to 300 and take up all or nearly all of today's play then I think the Aussies will be struggling for time. On the flipside, Australia would have to collapse twice for England to have time to get 20 wickets. The draw would be favourite I would've thought.

JeMeSouviens
15-08-2019, 04:36 PM
Bairstow gets to 50 but is running out of partners.

If they get to the new ball (7 more overs) they won't get much further! :greengrin

246/8

marinello59
15-08-2019, 04:46 PM
A wee aside. The Euro T20 slam was cancelled yesterday. Shame, I was looking forward to the games at the Grange.

Mibbes Aye
15-08-2019, 05:13 PM
A wee aside. The Euro T20 slam was cancelled yesterday. Shame, I was looking forward to the games at the Grange.

I had lost track of that but was thinking about attending too. Might check out a wee away trip for next year too, if it is to continue.

Zazu62
15-08-2019, 06:33 PM
Anyone think Buttler looks a bit lost if he isn’t wicketkeeping? I would have kept it the same as the World Cup.

BroxburnHibee
15-08-2019, 06:53 PM
Bairstow & Woakes have rallied somewhat - 201/6 at tea.

The weather looks crap tomorrow. If England can get to 300 and take up all or nearly all of today's play then I think the Aussies will be struggling for time. On the flipside, Australia would have to collapse twice for England to have time to get 20 wickets. The draw would be favourite I would've thought.

You're right the weather may well influence the final result.

I still think England - 0 is a correct score though :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
16-08-2019, 12:38 AM
Good day today I thought.

The commentators talk a lot about what a par score is and with good reason - they are generally ex-Test cricketers and can read a pitch and conditions, especially without the pressure of conjuring up tactics to deal with it!

England seem to have done just below par in their first innings. Bairstow got a much-needed decent score and Burns clung on. Everyone else, at least in the batting order, seemed to get set then lose their wicket.

Apart from Jason Roy. He is a fantastic white-ball cricketer but he is surely struggling as an opener, it is not his natural technique, and while he may prove an excellent four or five, it is merely delaying England yet again trying to find a Test opener.

Credit to Cam Bancroft for a tremendous catch at short-leg for Burns wicket of a remorseless line from Paddy Cummins.

The Australian bowling was very good, Cummins was very strong and got such lift off the pitch, Siddle was persistent, Lyon was a superb presence, holding down an end and taking wickets. Hazlewood was obviously the star, teasing swing out of the ball and suffocating his end but also picking up wickets.

As regards the Australian batting, oh dear, David Warner really is becoming Stuart Broad's bunny. Three times in three innings, but Warner is due a big innings and pound-for-pound is better than Broad. It's been good bowling by the Englander though. And Jofra Archer has certainly lit up the scene, with some very quick bowling, he should pick up wickets in this innings.

A result in this game will all depend on the weather. The forecast has actually improved though it looks like there will still be decent showers later on tomorrow. Hopefully it has improved enough to allow a game though!

Sergey
16-08-2019, 09:44 AM
Good day today I thought.

The commentators talk a lot about what a par score is and with good reason - they are generally ex-Test cricketers and can read a pitch and conditions, especially without the pressure of conjuring up tactics to deal with it!

England seem to have done just below par in their first innings. Bairstow got a much-needed decent score and Burns clung on. Everyone else, at least in the batting order, seemed to get set then lose their wicket.

Apart from Jason Roy. He is a fantastic white-ball cricketer but he is surely struggling as an opener, it is not his natural technique, and while he may prove an excellent four or five, it is merely delaying England yet again trying to find a Test opener.

Credit to Cam Bancroft for a tremendous catch at short-leg for Burns wicket of a remorseless line from Paddy Cummins.

The Australian bowling was very good, Cummins was very strong and got such lift off the pitch, Siddle was persistent, Lyon was a superb presence, holding down an end and taking wickets. Hazlewood was obviously the star, teasing swing out of the ball and suffocating his end but also picking up wickets.

As regards the Australian batting, oh dear, David Warner really is becoming Stuart Broad's bunny. Three times in three innings, but Warner is due a big innings and pound-for-pound is better than Broad. It's been good bowling by the Englander though. And Jofra Archer has certainly lit up the scene, with some very quick bowling, he should pick up wickets in this innings.

A result in this game will all depend on the weather. The forecast has actually improved though it looks like there will still be decent showers later on tomorrow. Hopefully it has improved enough to allow a game though!

I'm not too far from the ground. It's very breezy and the clouds are high and I fancy it will stay dry for the morning session. With the wind, any rain will get blown through fairly quickly so we could well have 90 overs (if England care to play at a decent over-rate).

As I type, the wind is really picking up.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-08-2019, 10:47 AM
Aussies 60-3, let's see if Archer can have a bash at Smith.

JeMeSouviens
16-08-2019, 10:56 AM
Aussies 60-3, let's see if Archer can have a bash at Smith.

They were toiling at 60/1, I go to make a cup of tea, come back and it's game on! :greengrin

Pretty Boy
16-08-2019, 11:13 AM
This is better from Archer. He's got the Aussies a wee bit rattled.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-08-2019, 11:25 AM
71-4

JeMeSouviens
16-08-2019, 11:26 AM
As ever, Smith is the key!

Mibbes Aye
17-08-2019, 12:28 AM
The good news is that the forecast has improved massively, with a decent chance of uninterrupted play tomorrow and maybe just the odd shower on Sunday.

In usual circumstances this morning’s session would be seen as a triumph for England but one can’t help feeling they needed more. Still, early wickets tomorrow and they will fancy their chances. As is predictable, so much comes down to that man, Steve Smith, and his journey of redemption by the means of just scoring ridiculous amounts of runs.

If the weather holds, then we have room for ten sessions of play in the match, which is more than enough time for a positive result given the strength of bowling on both sides. If Australia can win the morning session then I struggle to see how they lose the match and they set themselves up for building towards a victory. If England win the morning session then they will have the equaliser in their grasp.

I have to feel a draw is still likely, especially if the showers disrupt play on Sunday. More importantly, a match that looked like it might die a death thanks to the English August rains now offers a glimmer of hope that it might come down to a barnstorming finish, with either side in contention.

Northernhibee
17-08-2019, 10:38 AM
Smith doesn't look entirely comfortable today.

lord bunberry
17-08-2019, 01:14 PM
Smith doesn't look entirely comfortable today.
He’s just been whacked on the arm, he looks like he’s struggling to continue.

Pretty Boy
17-08-2019, 02:30 PM
Unbelievable that Smith has come back to bat after that hit on the neck.

I'm following on my phone at the game and thought I'd read it wrong. It was a sickener.

Tobias Funke
17-08-2019, 07:00 PM
If you were looking for a reason the England and Wales cricket board changed the rules so Archer could play for them sooner than 2021 then today was one (the WC being another!) As potent a weapon as you’ll find at the games highest level. Accurate, aggressive, probing and in possession of extreme pace at consistent and regular intervals.

The blow Smith took to the neck was awful, scarily reminiscent of the hit poor Phil Hughes took. I was genuinely fearful for him and was relieved when he got back to his feet.

Mibbes Aye
17-08-2019, 07:28 PM
If you were looking for a reason the England and Wales cricket board changed the rules so Archer could play for them sooner than 2021 then today was one (the WC being another!) As potent a weapon as you’ll find at the games highest level. Accurate, aggressive, probing and in possession of extreme pace at consistent and regular intervals.

The blow Smith took to the neck was awful, scarily reminiscent of the hit poor Phil Hughes took. I was genuinely fearful for him and was relieved when he got back to his feet.

It hit him exactly like Phil Hughes and the way he went down straight away was heart-in-the-mouth stuff. Just a relief to see he started moving not long after he hit the ground. When the doc was telling him he had to come off, he looked a million miles away.

Mibbes Aye
18-08-2019, 12:17 AM
An intriguing and compelling day’s play at Lord’s today. We are pushing on for being through a third of the series play by the end of this Test (more, were it not for the rain) and it has been utterly enthralling so far.

Obviously today was dominated by a certain half-hour or so, that saw Steve Smith take a potential arm-breaking delivery from Archer that could easily have led to him retiring hurt. The pain on Smith’s face was obvious in the aftermath, and for no short time.

That paled into insignificance when he was hit on the neck as he sought to duck down. The delivery floored him almost instantly and for anyone who witnessed or has seen Philip Hughes’ death it was horribly similar. Palpable relief when Smith reacted on the ground and moved himself and took off his helmet, though it was clear he was still very hurt. It took a long time in the middle to get him off but he didn’t look like he was able to debate or argue with the Aussie medics, so the right decision was made.

To see him come back out after Siddle went was incredible. He had the all-clear from the Aussie staff and hit a few boundaries without ever looking quite right. His dismissal was of the kind that Steve Smith doesn’t suffer, so I think it is fair to say he was still suffering some consequences of what had happened before.

As to today’s play in general, it was classic Test cricket for me. Test cricket is a team game ultimately, but it can still be shaped by individuals as per Smith at Edgbaston. But it also offers the scintillating, spectacular and spicy offer of the battle between a bowler and a batsman.

Notwithstanding the two balls that caused serious harm to Smith, we saw that with the tussle between him and Jofra. Archer bowled a huge amount of overs for his country yet still had the reserves to keep firing it in at 90mph plus, with a great line. England have got a good ‘un there and will be able to build a replacement attack for Anderson and Broad around him, though one has to worry about wear and tear if he is consistently trying to bowl at that speed.

The cat and mouse between him and Smith was as good as it gets in Test match cricket, thoroughly enjoyable. We got a slighter shade of it with Nathan Lyon bowling to Ben Stokes. A very good batsman having to deal reactively with a bowler on great form and a great pitch. Lovely stuff.

Australia did well today but will rue dropped catches (David Warner please stand up) and a couple of spurned reviews that would have seen the umpire’s “Not Out” overturned.

If the weather holds tomorrow - potential early morning showers but dry for play - then there are certainly enough overs for a positive result. As it was ever, the morning session is crucial. If Australia can wrap it up by lunch then they should be able to knock up the runs for a victory. Yet England still have some dynamite in their batting and if they were to go all out for it in the morning, it could offer an adventurous decision to put the Aussies in at lunch or shortly after and try and bowl them out.

I suspect pragmatism will rule, which indicates a draw. But a victory in this Test feels more likely for Australia than England at this stage. Notably, if it is a draw tomorrow, Australia only need to win one of the three remaining Tests to retain the Ashes.

It is curious and you can never really tell until you see teams play the Tests for real but Australia do feel stronger, though that is very much due to the bowling attack and the ubermensch that is Steve Smith. England’s pre-start strengths were the batting in the middle order, which Australia have negated, and their bowling attack which was weakened as soon as Jimmy Anderson got injured and as soon as it turned out Moeen wasn’t firing on all cylinders. Jofra has certainly stepped up to the plate though and Woakes is a very good bowler too.

Sergey
18-08-2019, 09:00 AM
It's currently raining in North London :brickwall

lord bunberry
18-08-2019, 12:43 PM
England lead by 165 at lunch. Smith is out of the game, will England go for the win and declare around 220?

lord bunberry
18-08-2019, 02:00 PM
Stokes on 85, I think they’ll let him get a 100 and declare.

Northernhibee
18-08-2019, 02:57 PM
Warner out, the crowd right behind England. Fascinating test cricket.

Northernhibee
18-08-2019, 03:04 PM
Aus 19-2!

Northernhibee
18-08-2019, 03:10 PM
Labusagne fails to duck a bouncer. Looks in a spot of bother.

Mibbes Aye
19-08-2019, 12:22 AM
Well, such drama!

Two Tests in and both, for different reasons have provided so much entertainment!

Today was fantastic cricket, a pleasure to watch.

England went for the draw, fair enough. Australia bowled well but were never going to win.

As far as the Ashes go, it is surely advantage Australia now

lord bunberry
19-08-2019, 12:58 AM
Well, such drama!

Two Tests in and both, for different reasons have provided so much entertainment!

England went for the draw, fair enough. Australia bowled well but were never going to win.

It’s definitely advantage Australia now I’d say, one win in the final three tests is enough to retain the Ashes. One thing I would say though is that spell Archer bowled on Saturday to Smith and Cummings was a real game changer for England. I can’t ever recall seeing anyone in an English shirt bowl like that, it was absolutely brutal stuff. The Aussie batsmen won’t be looking forward to facing that sort bowling.

G B Young
19-08-2019, 08:20 AM
Well, such drama!

England will have derived some confidence from the way the momentum was with them towards the close yesterday - and with Smith potentially missing for Australia they'll fancy their chances of making a contest of the series. However, with just three Tests left it's surely too tall an order for England to win at least two of them.

JeMeSouviens
19-08-2019, 09:06 AM
Well, such drama!

I think it's a tad unfair to say England "went for the draw". It's a difficult balance, you couldn't say they had nothing to lose. 1-0 is difficult, but 2-0 would've been practically impossible to overturn. If they hadn't lost that 10 overs in the morning it would've been mighty close.

There's been a wee bit of momentum shift. If Smith is out for Headingley and Archer can bowl as well again (tall order for his second test!), and then Jimmy makes it back for Old Trafford. Lots of "ifs" but we could be in for a hell of a finale.

Mibbes Aye
19-08-2019, 02:57 PM
I think it's a tad unfair to say England "went for the draw". It's a difficult balance, you couldn't say they had nothing to lose. 1-0 is difficult, but 2-0 would've been practically impossible to overturn. If they hadn't lost that 10 overs in the morning it would've been mighty close.

There's been a wee bit of momentum shift. If Smith is out for Headingley and Archer can bowl as well again (tall order for his second test!), and then Jimmy makes it back for Old Trafford. Lots of "ifs" but we could be in for a hell of a finale.

Yeah, I should have been clearer. I don’t think they set out from the start for a draw but I thought they batted too long in the third innings and essentially were accepting a draw with the outside chance of a win. They lost bowling time as a consequence and a slightly lower total might have been more enticing for the Australians and given England a victory.

As it stands Australia only need to win one from three to retain the Ashes now. Bowlers win matches and Australia have so much depth that Mitchell Starc hasn’t even been used yet, while England are really light in that department.

Re Smiths injury, his replacement certainly seized his opportunity! Warner and Bancroft have both been very disappointing so far but are obviously very talented players and it seems inconceivable that they won’t come good soon.

JeMeSouviens
20-08-2019, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I should have been clearer. I don’t think they set out from the start for a draw but I thought they batted too long in the third innings and essentially were accepting a draw with the outside chance of a win. They lost bowling time as a consequence and a slightly lower total might have been more enticing for the Australians and given England a victory.

As it stands Australia only need to win one from three to retain the Ashes now. Bowlers win matches and Australia have so much depth that Mitchell Starc hasn’t even been used yet, while England are really light in that department.

Re Smiths injury, his replacement certainly seized his opportunity! Warner and Bancroft have both been very disappointing so far but are obviously very talented players and it seems inconceivable that they won’t come good soon.

Aussies definitely favourites but if England can level at Headingley, they've still got a chance.

Not sure about Bancroft but Warner must be due a score soon.

lord bunberry
20-08-2019, 12:43 PM
Smith out for the third test. Huge boost for England.

JeMeSouviens
20-08-2019, 01:19 PM
Smith out for the third test. Huge boost for England.

It is, but it's a shame.

It seems a bit bizarre in this day and age that cricket still has rules that allow deliberate targeting of the head area. Especially after the awareness that Phillip Hughes' death brought to the issue.

lord bunberry
20-08-2019, 03:37 PM
It is, but it's a shame.

It seems a bit bizarre in this day and age that cricket still has rules that allow deliberate targeting of the head area. Especially after the awareness that Phillip Hughes' death brought to the issue.
Other than completely banning the bouncer there’s not much they can do really. They would probably have to ban fielders standing at short leg and silly point as well. I think most cricketers accept the risk and helmets are much safer these days.

JeMeSouviens
22-08-2019, 09:02 AM
Overcast and a threat of rain here in Leeds. Fingers crossed!

lord bunberry
22-08-2019, 01:22 PM
Australia are 25/2 a wicket each for Broad and Archer. Warner is hanging on grimly.

JeMeSouviens
22-08-2019, 01:55 PM
Australia are 25/2 a wicket each for Broad and Archer. Warner is hanging on grimly.

He’s had about 20 play-and-misses! Just finding his touch before the rain came back. :-(

Pretty Boy
22-08-2019, 06:40 PM
Take a bow Jofra Archer. Superb stuff.

Northernhibee
22-08-2019, 08:00 PM
Take a bow Jofra Archer. Superb stuff.
What a summer the young lad is having.

Mibbes Aye
22-08-2019, 10:44 PM
Great day’s play from Jofra Archer today.

I think what is interesting is that he can bowl with real pace but with accuracy too. Steve Harmison and Mark Wood have bowled just as fast for England, but for me Archer keeps a better line and length.

It is also interesting that any Australian batsman used to be relatively comfortable with pace, having regular Sheffield Shield games (Aussie version of the County Championship) at the WACA in Perth. The WACA was basically a fast bowling alley, which also took a bit of swing from the coastal atmosphere and winds. You had to quickly learn to play deliveries in the low nineties or be skittled out. The current crop of Australian batsmen don’t play a lot of Shield cricket, they play international matches in the various formats and look for the vastly rewarding T20 contracts in the various leagues. They simply don’t have the experience of hostile, very fast bowling in the way their predecessors did.

Of course, a number of the Australian squad took what seemed the eminently sensible decision of playing County Championship cricket this summer to acclimatise with England conditions. That didn’t seem like a bad call but....... because of the World Cup and the Ashes, the Championship season started earlier than usual, suiting pitches that were all about a bit of swing in moist conditions. They certainly weren’t about furious pace and aggressive balls at chest and head height.

My only fear for Archer is that he is over-bowled by his captain. It must be impossible not to ask him to front up again and again but fast bowling is a big ask on the body and while his efforts have been outstanding he is only human. England are already depleted in the pace department and they can’t afford to lose this guy.

For Australia, a difficult day and a bit of a collapse to say the least. On the plus side, Warner finally got a knock that might boost his confidence. And Labuschagne had a splendid innings, safe and full of technique but putting on runs. If Smith is able to return for the next Test then it raises questions for Australia. Much like England had to push Root up, Australia might find themselves pushing Smith up to accommodate Labuschagne and dropping the ineffectual Khawaja.

Not checked the weather forecast for tomorrow yet. Hopefully there will be a full day’s play. It is a low total from Australia but they have three fantastic quicks and the absolutely reliable Nathan Lyon and have every chance of making inroads. As ever, morning session feels crucial :greengrin

ACLeith
23-08-2019, 06:58 AM
Another great "This us how it feels" report MA. Summing up in a few sentences all the toing and froing of yet another great day for the game of cricket.

I'm probably out of order with this but I can't stop feeling irked at the way ECB changed the residency rules to allow Archer to qualify this year, a coincidence of course. Having said that, it's a delight watching him bowl though time will tell how his body stands up to the stresses a la Mark Wood

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-08-2019, 10:19 AM
Roy out for 9, such a talented player but, never going to have a career as an opening batsman in the Test side.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-08-2019, 10:25 AM
Root gone for a duck, 10-2.

lord bunberry
23-08-2019, 10:26 AM
Roy out for 9, such a talented player but, never going to have a career as an opening batsman in the Test side.
I think you’re right. Root gone second ball for a duck.

Pretty Boy
23-08-2019, 10:29 AM
What was Roy thinking? As tempting as that shot may have been surely that early you just leave it.

lord bunberry
23-08-2019, 10:30 AM
I think Root will be moving back to number 4 soon. It won’t make much difference if the openers can’t hang around a bit. Denly also out for a duck.

edit he appeals it and it’s going over the top.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-08-2019, 10:55 AM
20-3, what a mess.

marinello59
23-08-2019, 10:57 AM
20-3, what a mess.

They’re a shambles.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-08-2019, 11:17 AM
Some of these shots that the batsmen are trying to play are ridiculous, 34-4.

Pretty Boy
23-08-2019, 11:19 AM
This is painful. England have lost the plot.

lord bunberry
23-08-2019, 11:20 AM
Some of these shots that the batsmen are trying to play are ridiculous, 34-4.
Stokes has had a mare there.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-08-2019, 11:44 AM
5 down now. They're going to be about 100 behind.

ACLeith
23-08-2019, 11:45 AM
45 for 5. Only Root out to a great ball the rest should have been left alone

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-08-2019, 11:51 AM
And the 6th wicket goes down, insert shaking the head smiley here.

Tobias Funke
23-08-2019, 11:56 AM
There will be a full inquest/review of English first class cricket from top to bottom once the Urn has gone back to Australia. How they cannot come up with a top/middle order that can play in the manner required in this format needs seriously looked into. Absolute shambles.

Feel for Archer, yesterdays heroics counting for nothing now.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-08-2019, 12:46 PM
Looks like another one gone first ball after lunch!

What a farce!

marinello59
23-08-2019, 12:46 PM
And first ball after lunch sees Woakes gone. What a mess.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-08-2019, 12:51 PM
8 down!

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-08-2019, 01:00 PM
Archer the 9th man to go. They're finding amazingly daft ways to give their wicket away

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-08-2019, 01:07 PM
67 All Out.

ACLeith
23-08-2019, 01:09 PM
There will be a full inquest/review of English first class cricket from top to bottom once the Urn has gone back to Australia. How they cannot come up with a top/middle order that can play in the manner required in this format needs seriously looked into. Absolute shambles.

Feel for Archer, yesterdays heroics counting for nothing now.

Shouldn't take long. Money talks so the focus is on one day and T20, county championship financially irrelevant

Zazu62
23-08-2019, 01:11 PM
That’s really pathetic