PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Great or Hibs Legend ?

Sammy7nil
22-07-2019, 10:04 PM
In your opinion what is the difference?

We all know the obvious legends but there are a few who fall somewhere in between and probably split opinion between a great and a legend.

Here are a few

Keith Wright - Legend
Goram - Great
McGinley - Great
Weir - Great
Jones - Legend
Latapy - Great
Burridge - Great never took to him don't know why.
Jackson - Great
Stokes - Legend
Bremner - Great
Edwards - Legend

There are loads more who are yours ?

04Sauzee
22-07-2019, 10:12 PM
Burridge and Weir both in the team that one the league Cup. Difficult not to class a cup winner as a legend. Good discussion point though

Greentinted
22-07-2019, 10:14 PM
For me, a legend is a great that ‘gets’ us!

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2019, 10:18 PM
Gordon Smith
Pat Stanton
Lawrie Reilly
Joe Baker
Bobby Johnstone
Eddie Turnbull
Willie Ormond

All HIBS greats but when the legend becomes fact print the legend

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2019, 10:20 PM
For me, a legend is a great that ‘gets’ us!

Le God!

Sammy7nil
22-07-2019, 10:28 PM
Burridge and Weir both in the team that one the league Cup. Difficult not to class a cup winner as a legend. Good discussion point though

That is it everyone has different likes, dislikes and standards making it difficult to agree. Most would say Sauzee was a legend but is he?

Sammy7nil
22-07-2019, 10:31 PM
Gordon Smith
Pat Stanton
Lawrie Reilly
Joe Baker
Bobby Johnstone
Eddie Turnbull
Willie Ormond

I don't think anyone will argue with those but what about the rest of the Tornadoe's?

O'Rourke i would say Legend some may not.

The 90+2
22-07-2019, 10:32 PM
That is it everyone has different likes, dislikes and standards making it difficult to agree. Most would say Sauzee was a legend but was he?

Sauzee isn’t a legend. Legend is a word branded around too much. David Gray is a legend as is Stokesy & Lewis Stevenson in fact it’s all a matter of opinion.

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2019, 10:33 PM
I don't think anyone will argue with those but what about the rest of the Tornadoe's?

You are preaching to the converted

The best brand of football the worlds ever seen !

Sammy7nil
22-07-2019, 10:36 PM
I will get slated for posting too much :greengrin but is Deek a great or do his many goals make him a legend?

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2019, 10:37 PM
Sauzee isn’t a legend. Legend is a word branded around too much. David Gray is a legend as is Stokesy & Lewis Stevenson in fact it’s all a matter of opinion.

Legend to Marseille fans

Legend in my eyes

Set his standard with HIBS and never fell below it

The guy was total quality

Is he a HIBS legend?

Won a Championship

I would say yes we will never see the like again

The 90+2
22-07-2019, 10:40 PM
Legend to Marseille fans

Legend in my eyes

Is he a HIBS legend?

Won a Championship

Not for me. A hero, a great and there will be legendary tales of him playing for Hibernian but he’s not a legend for me.

He might be a champions league winning legend to other fans but there was nothing done to achieve legendary status at Hibs. David Gray is on another planet.

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2019, 10:40 PM
Not for me. A hero, a great and there will be legendary tales of him playing for Hibernian but he’s not a legend for me.

Opinions eh?

The 90+2
22-07-2019, 10:42 PM
Opinions eh?

Most definite Bill. Sauzee is the greatest player I’ve ever seen in a Hibs jersey but not a legend.

LaMotta
22-07-2019, 10:46 PM
Most definite Bill. Sauzee is the greatest player I’ve ever seen in a Hibs jersey but not a legend.

By contrast I would say Ivan Sproule is not one of the greatest Hibs players I've seen, but he is indeed a Hibs legend for his exploits.

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2019, 10:47 PM
Legend in my eyes always gave 100%

That is all you can ask

Never lost against Hearts

The guy was HIBS class totally got us

It all went Pete Tong

He is up there with Ronnie Simpson Des Bremner and George Best as European Cup Winning legends that have all played for HIBS

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2019, 10:51 PM
Maybe the OP should add : Cult Hero

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2019, 10:58 PM

Pat Stanton was better and he is a legend

:not worth

Wakeyhibee
22-07-2019, 10:59 PM
Gordon Smith
Pat Stanton
Lawrie Reilly
Joe Baker
Bobby Johnstone
Eddie Turnbull
Willie Ormond

I don't think there's many if any can be mentioned in the same sentence with these.

There have been many greats but mainly down to modern day football the short longevity at any club makes it hard for any to become a true legend.

George Best a footballing legend no doubt but only very briefly a Hibs great.

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2019, 11:04 PM
I don't think there's many if any can be mentioned in the same sentence with these.

There have been many greats but mainly down to modern day football the short longevity at any club makes it hard for any to become a true legend.

George Best a footballing legend no doubt but only very briefly a Hibs great.

:agree:

The 90+2
22-07-2019, 11:07 PM
Pat Stanton was better and he is a legend

:not worth

I’m too young for Paddy but I would agree he’s a legend.

The 90+2
22-07-2019, 11:08 PM
By contrast I would say Ivan Sproule is not one of the greatest Hibs players I've seen, but he is indeed a Hibs legend for his exploits.

Strangely enough I would agree. He achieved legendary status and I’ll never forget Celtic Park then Ibrox ever.

Mibbes Aye
22-07-2019, 11:15 PM
There’s a need to be clear about what ‘great’ and ‘legend’ actually mean. I know how I define them but everyone else probably has a variation.

Going back to 21/05/16 then SDG is and can only be a legend. For me, Stokes is a great, not a legend. Hendo is possibly a legend, based on what he did after he came on and his run to the touchline at the final whistle.

That is maybe the difference, that ‘legend’ requires something a bit more sublime than just being ‘great’.

Hanlon and Stevenson were great on the day but I wouldn’t argue they were legends for their match performances, as outstanding as they were, but their reactions to holding up the Cup put them automatically in the legends category, the sheer joy on their faces.

We have had many great players, and many players who have shown greatness at times.

Legend for me means greatness, even if it is fleeting, plus some visible emotional connection to the club.

HarpLife
22-07-2019, 11:25 PM
David Gray gets instant legend status regardless. I must say I don't know if he'd be a legend if he hadn't scored that goal but everything he's given over the years backs it right up, got the title by chance but deserves it in the long run. Took a neutral mate (Spurs) to the last derby and said Gray was a club legend and he said 'he plays like it.'

Stokes for me - no chance. Passage of time helps but I feel it only applies to the likes of Stanton, FF, Wright etc. Plenty don't qualify; George Best is a footballing legend but nowhere near a Hibs legend. Just a legend who played at Hibs when he was fat and *****. Lewie deserves it for his long service, though not everyone in the cup team fully justifies it beyond being involved - not ****ting on the achievement, just saying.

'Hero' or 'Great' apply to a lot of folk who deserve recognition but legend should mean something different. I don't know anyone in the Golden Generation for instance that I would class as a legend, though Deeks comes close as a good Hibby (Thomson and O'Connor are ***** Hibbies).

The 90+2
22-07-2019, 11:26 PM
Without Stokes waking up that determined to slay the huns then there would be no Scottish Cup. He’s a legend imo. As is Stubbsy.

Sir David Gray is immortal though.

Haymaker
22-07-2019, 11:56 PM
I will get slated for posting too much :greengrin but is Deek a great or do his many goals make him a legend?

Legend. He'd still do a job for us as well. :agree:

Mibbes Aye
23-07-2019, 12:02 AM

:hyper

Since452
23-07-2019, 05:19 AM
Le God!

He got us so much nobody has seen him in 20 years

heretoday
23-07-2019, 05:38 AM

He's legendary. There's legends about him.

Not great though.

Juice-Terry
23-07-2019, 06:02 AM
Conrad Logan is a great test case.

The Spaceman
23-07-2019, 06:41 AM
In my 27 years, the legend status extends I think to David Gray and John McGinn.

BILLYHIBS
23-07-2019, 06:43 AM
He got us so much nobody has seen him in 20 years

Didnt end well

Already said that

:greengrin

WeeRussell
23-07-2019, 06:47 AM
There’s a need to be clear about what ‘great’ and ‘legend’ actually mean. I know how I define them but everyone else probably has a variation.

Going back to 21/05/16 then SDG is and can only be a legend. For me, Stokes is a great, not a legend. Hendo is possibly a legend, based on what he did after he came on and his run to the touchline at the final whistle.

That is maybe the difference, that ‘legend’ requires something a bit more sublime than just being ‘great’.

Hanlon and Stevenson were great on the day but I wouldn’t argue they were legends for their match performances, as outstanding as they were, but their reactions to holding up the Cup put them automatically in the legends category, the sheer joy on their faces.

We have had many great players, and many players who have shown greatness at times.

Legend for me means greatness, even if it is fleeting, plus some visible emotional connection to the club.

All opinions of course but I’m struggling to see how Henderson could be considered a legend if Stokes isn’t!

Alex Trager
23-07-2019, 07:00 AM

There is absolutely not a doubt about the fact that Lewis Stevenson is a hibs legend.

Not one other single player has won both the league and scottish cup with hibs.

A hibs great? Maybe not. A hibs legend? Undoubtedly.

I’m 26 and would say that LS & SDG are the only hibs legends I’ve seen play for us, although I could include more after further thought.

Since452
23-07-2019, 07:02 AM
In my time supporting Hibs (30 years) I'd only class the trophy winning teams as legends. For me anyway only winning silverware makes you a Hibs legend. There's many greats but not so many legends. Obviously the Tornadoes and the Famous Five were legends too with both winning silverware.

Steve20
23-07-2019, 07:03 AM
Sauzee is a legend. Can't believe anyone would think otherwise.

Stokes is also a legend. Obviously Sir David Gray is a legend for being the captain and scoring the winning goal in the Scottish Cup final, but without Stokesy that day, we don't win it. Legend 100%, no doubt in my opinion.

DetroitHibs
23-07-2019, 07:10 AM
Alan Stubbs Legend

BILLYHIBS
23-07-2019, 07:11 AM

Stokes is also a legend. Obviously Sir David Gray is a legend for being the captain and scoring the winning goal in the Scottish Cup final, but without Stokesy that day, we don't win it. Legend 100%, no doubt in my opinion.

GoalsMcGinley
23-07-2019, 07:14 AM
In our illustrious 140 off year history we have won 10 major honours. Each and every player/member of coaching staff from those teams are legends. Others are greats bordering on legend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 90+2
23-07-2019, 07:21 AM
In our illustrious 140 off year history we have won 10 major honours. Each and every player/member of coaching staff from those teams are legends. Others are greats bordering on legend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t go as far as calling Chris Dagnall or Mark Ocley legends tbh.

hfc rd
23-07-2019, 07:43 AM
Conrad Logan - legend

Practically won us that semi final against Dundee United. I don’t think we would have returned to Hampden on May 21st without his performance in goals that day.

Sammy7nil
23-07-2019, 07:43 AM
I wouldn’t go as far as calling Chris Dagnall or Mark Ocley legends tbh.

:hmmm::tee hee::tee hee::tee hee:

The Leith Dutch
23-07-2019, 07:58 AM
Legend has to be something special. Almost by definition you should only have a few of them.

Winning the cup makes you part of a legendary *team* but doesn't give you as a player status as a Hibs legend imo.

Smith, Johnson, Reilly, Turnbull, Ormond, Baker and Stanton will always be on the list.

Sauzee was a fabulous player for us.
With Latapy the best I've seen in my time watching the Hibs but I wouldn't say either was a legend. Greats? Undoubtedly.

There are others - O'Rourke and SDG are good shouts - but if you give it to every player that won the cup there's no validity to it. If Fyvie and Cummings are legends then Latapy, Sauzee, Deek and a ton of others get on.

Then you have 50 or 60 legends and the term is so diluted it's an insult to the true legends like Turnbull and Reilly.

Barman Stanton
23-07-2019, 08:07 AM
We have only won 6 cups. So anyone that has won a cup is a legend for me.

Barman Stanton
23-07-2019, 08:10 AM

Was surprised the amount of people on Social media recently who don't class Sauzee as a Hibs legend. Many were to young to have seen him in fairness. Hey people still wear his image on tshirts and he is many fans favourite ever player. Course he is a legend.

MikeyS
23-07-2019, 08:13 AM
We have only won 6 cups. So anyone that has won a cup is a legend for me.

Including Mikey Stewart, Brian Hamilton, Dave Beaumont & Simon Brown??

Sammy7nil
23-07-2019, 08:14 AM
Legend has to be something special. Almost by definition you should only have a few of them.

Winning the cup makes you part of a legendary *team* but doesn't give you as a player status as a Hibs legend imo.

Smith, Johnson, Reilly, Turnbull, Ormond, Baker and Stanton will always be on the list.

Sauzee was a fabulous player for us.
With Latapy the best I've seen in my time watching the Hibs but I wouldn't say either was a legend. Greats? Undoubtedly.

There are others - O'Rourke and SDG are good shouts - but if you give it to every player that won the cup there's no validity to it. If Fyvie and Cummings are legends then Latapy, Sauzee, Deek and a ton of others get on.

Then you have 50 or 60 legends and the term is so diluted it's an insult to the true legends like Turnbull and Reilly.

I agree with this.

However it is good to hear who others think qualify as legends.

If you are under 30 then I suppose your list will be very different to someone over 50.

worcesterhibby
23-07-2019, 08:15 AM
Gordon Smith
Pat Stanton
Lawrie Reilly
Joe Baker
Bobby Johnstone
Eddie Turnbull
Willie Ormond
Sir David Gray
Lewis Stevenson

Forza Fred
23-07-2019, 08:20 AM

Absolute Legend.

Barman Stanton
23-07-2019, 08:24 AM
Including Mikey Stewart, Brian Hamilton, Dave Beaumont & Simon Brown??

Brian Hamilton yes. He had a good game and almost made it 3 with a cracking shot from outside the box.

The other three didnt play so I personally see that as a bit different.

The Leith Dutch
23-07-2019, 08:24 AM
Was surprised the amount of people on Social media recently who don't class Sauzee as a Hibs legend. Many were to young to have seen him in fairness. Hey people still wear his image on tshirts and he is many fans favourite ever player. Course he is a legend.

The t-shirt part is interesting as it adds "icon" to legend and great in what we're discussing. Sauzee definitely an icon.

Saw a large percentage of his games from the stand.
He was amazing.

Met him (and Zitelli) in Margiotta's on Northumberland Street and he was an absolute gent.

One of my all time favourite players for Hibs.

BILLYHIBS
23-07-2019, 08:31 AM

HIBS Historical Trust describe Franck Sauzee as a modern day hibs legend

Good enough for me

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/player-profiles/the-men-and-moments-that-made-easter-road-frank-sauzee

https://youtu.be/0_dNDskgVAU

Latapy was no too bad tae :greengrin

MikeyS
23-07-2019, 08:34 AM
Brian Hamilton yes. He had a good game and almost made it 3 with a cracking shot from outside the box.

The other three didnt play so I personally see that as a bit different.

Maybe not in the final but they all contributed in the cup campaigns.

We wouldn't have got to the Scottish Cup with Malonga's goal or Thomson's headed clearance at Tynie. Neither played in the final but those where big factors in the over all outcome. Not that I'm suggesting either of them are legends though.

blackpoolhibs
23-07-2019, 08:37 AM
Its up to each individual who you class as either, and nothing to do with anyone else.

Barman Stanton
23-07-2019, 08:39 AM
The t-shirt part is interesting as it adds "icon" to legend and great in what we're discussing. Sauzee definitely an icon.

Saw a large percentage of his games from the stand.
He was amazing.

Met him (and Zitelli) in Margiotta's on Northumberland Street and he was an absolute gent.

One of my all time favourite players for Hibs.

Sauzee is my favourite player. As close to World Class as us who didnt see the Tornado's are ever likely to see in green. Just strolled through games. But then you don't captain France and play 39 times for them if you are not a top top player.

I think people get too caught up in the meaning of legend. Joe Baker is an example. Obviously scored a crazy amount of goals. But played less games for Hibs than Steven Fletcher and never won anything. Of course he is still a legend though. No right or wrong answer in this, all about personal opinion.

Barman Stanton
23-07-2019, 08:47 AM

We wouldn't have got to the Scottish Cup with Malonga's goal or Thomson's headed clearance at Tynie. Neither played in the final but those where big factors in the over all outcome. Not that I'm suggesting either of them are legends though.

This is very true. All personal opinion. I just think anyone that has been on the pitch when we have won any of our limited cups is a legend. If you want to include players who played in the first round etc, fair enough.

Dave Beaumont certainly isnt though. That f***** hadnt even played a game before Lexo gave him a place on the bench in 91 lol. Should have been Tortolano or Milne on the bench.

HibeeHibernian4
23-07-2019, 08:55 AM
The word legend is massively overused in modern football, which in itself has become an overused cliche.

Hibs have had, at a push, about seven or eight players I'd describe as 'legends'.

Dan McMichael,
Gordon Smith,
Bobby Johnstone,
Lawrie Reilly,
Eddie Turnbull,
Willie Ormond,
Pat Stanton,
David Gray.

Everyone else is a great, or an icon, or a cult hero. To give three examples:

A great - Alan Stubbs
An icon - Franck Sauzée
A cult hero - Conrad Logan

(Joe Baker, Willie McCartney and Hugh Shaw are right on the borderline of legend status in my opinion.)

SlickShoes
23-07-2019, 09:11 AM

If only Stokes had done something a bit more sublime like score 2 goals and set up the winning corner by almost scoring a third and winning the game himself.

This forum makes me break down laughing sometimes.

HibeesLittleHel
23-07-2019, 09:11 AM
Legend to Marseille fans

Legend in my eyes

Is he a HIBS legend?

Won a Championship

LEGEND end of...

HibeeHibernian4
23-07-2019, 09:15 AM
Hanlon and Stevenson were great on the day but I wouldn’t argue they were legends for their match performances, as outstanding as they were

This probably isn't going to be a popular opinion, but Lewis Stevenson was...bad that day.

His woeful marking at a corner should've seen Rangers in front, but Kenny Miller inexplicably hit the bar with a free header.

He's even got his head in hands as Miller heads it.

He also pushed Waghorn over in the box early in the second half, which could've easily seen Rangers 2-1 up again.

Again, all the usual caveats of "yes well he tried really hard", but Stevenson's played about two or three hundred better games for Hibs than he played that day.

One Day Soon
23-07-2019, 09:17 AM
Will this season never start?

AndyM_1875
23-07-2019, 09:18 AM
The names of any Hibs legends will rightly be occupied at the top by a select few names (Gordon Smith, Pat Stanton, Lawrie Reilly, Joe Baker, Eddie Turnbull, Willie Ormond and Bobby Johnstone probably in that order)
My late father in law would wax lyrical about them all particularly Gordon Smith.

But also worth remembering Hibs had two very fine teams in the early 20th Century. There's an argument to be made for Bobby Atherton (1902 Cup winning captain, 1903 League winner and killed in the Great War) and the team manager Dan McMichael to be called legends. And also from the fine team of the 1920s for both the goalkeeper Willie Harper and Jimmy Dunn (a Wembley Wizard who played in the 5-1 savaging of England) to be included in any Hibs Legends list.

Barman Stanton
23-07-2019, 09:20 AM
The word legend is massively overused in modern football, which in itself has become an overused cliche.

Hibs have had, at a push, about seven or eight players I'd describe as 'legends'.

Dan McMichael,
Gordon Smith,
Bobby Johnstone,
Lawrie Reilly,
Eddie Turnbull,
Willie Ormond,
Pat Stanton,
David Gray.

A great - Alan Stubbs
An icon - Franck Sauzée

(Joe Baker, Willie McCartney and Hugh Shaw are right on the borderline of legend status in my opinion.)

You dont think someone sitting with both a League Cup and Scottish Cup winners medal is a legend?

HibeeHibernian4
23-07-2019, 09:30 AM
You dont think someone sitting with both a League Cup and Scottish Cup winners medal is a legend?

If we'd beaten Ross County in the 2016 final, Chris Dagnall would've had a League Cup and Scottish Cup winners medal. He wouldn't be a legend, would he? If he would've been, then I think your definition of legend is very different to mine.

Longevity does not guarantee legend status, in my book. To play devil's advocate for a moment, I'd suggest that Stevenson has also played in some disastrous teams and was part of our relegation side.

The fact that Stevenson was here for the 2007 cup win and remained for the 2016 cup win is nice. But really, it's as much as of an indictment on Hibs' part that we couldn't find a better full back, as it is about Stevenson's undying loyalty to the club - which I don't doubt for one second, he's a very good person by all accounts.

Despite (frankly laughably) being given the man of the match award for the Kilmarnock final, he's not gone above and beyond to win Hibs a cup in the same way that Gray has, who also captained us to our finest moment. So that's the difference, for me.

Again, it's all about opinions. I'm not begrudging anyone for calling him a legend, but he's not even close to one as far as I'm concerned.

Northernhibee
Conrad Logan is a great test case.

He wasn’t a great player but he is a legend for his story of success with us.

I’m actually going to argue that Stokes is neither. Fantastic performance in the cup final but otherwise more trouble than he was worth at any other time.

Stevenson is a legend. Not as technically gifted as a Sauzee, Latapy but through constant self improvement and loyalty he’s in a league of one in regards to the cups he’s won. He gets better and better and the manner in which he conducts himself and benefits the club and community is the way I’d want players to get inspiration from in twenty years.

Hibernian Verse
Andy Halliday is a Hibs great, after his "marking" of SDG in 90+2.

The 90+2
23-07-2019, 09:35 AM
This probably isn't going to be a popular opinion, but Lewis Stevenson was...bad that day.

His woeful marking at a corner should've seen Rangers in front, but Kenny Miller inexplicably hit the bar with a free header.

He's even got his head in hands as Miller heads it.

He also pushed Waghorn over in the box early in the second half, which could've easily seen Rangers 2-1 up again.

Again, all the usual caveats of "yes well he tried really hard", but Stevenson's played about two or three hundred better games for Hibs than he played that day.

Lewis was fantastic in the second half.

Barman Stanton
23-07-2019, 09:37 AM
If we'd beaten Ross County in the 2016 final, Chris Dagnall would've had a League Cup and Scottish Cup winners medal. He wouldn't be a legend, would he? If he would've been, then I think your definition of legend is very different to mine.

Longevity does not guarantee legend status, in my book. To play devil's advocate for a moment, I'd suggest that Stevenson has also played in some disastrous teams and was part of our relegation side.

The fact that Stevenson was here for the 2007 cup win and remained for the 2016 cup win is nice. But really, it's as much as of an indictment on Hibs' part that we couldn't find a better full back, as it is about Stevenson's undying loyalty to the club - which I don't doubt for one second, he's a very good person by all accounts.

Despite (frankly laughably) being given the man of the match award for the Kilmarnock final, he's not gone above and beyond to win Hibs a cup in the same way that Gray has, who also captained us to our finest moment. So that's the difference, for me.

Again, it's all about opinions. I'm not begrudging anyone for calling him a legend, but he's not even close to one as far as I'm concerned.

Hibs fans are a strange bunch at times. Close to 400 games. Scottish Cup medal. League Cup Medal. 'Not even close to a legend'. :faf::faf: Each to their own man. He is THE Hibs legend for me.

bigwheel
23-07-2019, 09:55 AM

Jeez, What a terrible analysis ..moving the cup wins to one side ..the number of games, the length of service , the levels of consistency, the drive to learn and improve , the commitment to the jersey, handling the ups and downs, the man that he is, the charity donations from his testimonial.......I’d take 11 Lewis Stevenson’s over almost anyone we’ve had ..not the best players we’ve had, he would acknowledge that, but if he hasn’t deserved the “legend” tag, then frankly no one else has either...

heretoday
23-07-2019, 10:31 AM
Will this season never start?

Har Har! My mouth is already starting to form itself into the familiar BOO shape.

cmcd
23-07-2019, 10:41 AM

Dan McMichael,
Gordon Smith,
Bobby Johnstone,
Lawrie Reilly,
Eddie Turnbull,
Willie Ormond,
Pat Stanton,
David Gray.

A great - Alan Stubbs
An icon - Franck Sauzée

137 appearances 114 goals and you think he is borderline.Having seen him in 2 spells with Hibs he is most definitely a Legend

SideBurns
23-07-2019, 10:45 AM

It is indeed all about opinions, but if Stevenson doesn't fit every Hibs fan's criteria for the 'legend' tag then I am amazed. It's not a list of the greatest players in our history, which is a totally different conversation.

HibeeHibernian4
23-07-2019, 10:46 AM
137 appearances 114 goals and you think he is borderline.Having seen him in 2 spells with Hibs he is most definitely a Legend

A great striker, maybe our best ever? Absolutely. But since when did scoring a lot of goals earn someone legend credentials?

No trophy in his time, unfortunate though it was not to beat Clyde in '58.

The thing that pushes him towards borderline legend status for me is his kissing the turf at the Hands off Hibs rally.

HibeeHibernian4
23-07-2019, 10:48 AM
Jeez, What a terrible analysis ..moving the cup wins to one side ..the number of games, the length of service , the levels of consistency, the drive to learn and improve , the commitment to the jersey, handling the ups and downs, the man that he is, the charity donations from his testimonial.......I’d take 11 Lewis Stevenson’s over almost anyone we’ve had ..not the best players we’ve had, he would acknowledge that, but if he hasn’t deserved the “legend” tag, then frankly no one else has either...

If you'd take eleven Lewis Stevensons over almost anyone we've had, then that shows a frightening lack of insight on your part, and sums up the Scottish mentality regarding football quite well. Don't worry if you've got ability, kids, just try really hard and even if you can't get a cross to beat the first man after 15 years, you'll still be a legend.

He hasn't, in my book, earned the legend tag, and I've given you a list of eight names who unequivocally are bigger legends than him.

Similarly, the 2016 team might be a legendary team, but not every player is a legend. Indeed, none of them bar Gray are, to me.

J-C
23-07-2019, 10:53 AM
Far too many players being looked at as legends, for me the Famous 5, Sir Pat Stanton and Sir David Gray are legends any others are great such as Sauzee, O'Rourke etc.

HibeeHibernian4
23-07-2019, 10:54 AM
Far too many players being looked at as legends, for me the Famous 5, Sir Pat Stanton and Sir David Gray are legends any others are great such as Sauzee, O'Rourke etc.

Absolutely. :agree:

Barman Stanton
23-07-2019, 11:15 AM
Absolutely. :agree:

Having looked at your list, Im curious what makes all the famous five legends but not Bobby Combe? Or Arthur Duncan with his record appearances? Yours looks like a list of the best players, not just club legends.

HibeeHibernian4
23-07-2019, 11:29 AM
Having looked at your list, Im curious what makes all the famous five legends but not Bobby Combe? Or Arthur Duncan with his record appearances? Yours looks like a list of the best players, not just club legends.

Because, and I'm not going to repeat myself again after this, longevity does not equal legend status.

David Gray became a legend, and did something bigger and greater than Duncan or Combe ever did at Hibs, after two seasons at the club. He could've retired on the spot and been a bigger legend than the pair of them combined, and I mean that as no slight on either player, who were both talented and long-serving.

Barman Stanton
23-07-2019, 11:37 AM
Because, and I'm not going to repeat myself again after this, longevity does not equal legend status.

David Gray became a legend, and did something bigger and greater than Duncan or Combe ever did at Hibs, after two seasons at the club. He could've retired on the spot and been a bigger legend than the pair of them combined, and I mean that as no slight on either player, who were both talented and long-serving.

Still not explaining what the famous five did which Combe didnt? Bobby Combe played more games than Bobby Johnstone and won 3 league titles. But he is not a legend. Your basically saying 'just because I say so'.

Anyway, thankfully you appear to be in the minority as I dont think it does the club any harm at all to have more than a handful of legends.

hibbyfraelibby
23-07-2019, 12:47 PM
Noun
Edit
legend (countable and uncountable, plural legends)

1. A unrealistic story depicting past events.

2. A story of unknown origin describing plausible but extraordinary past events.
The legend of Troy was discovered to have a historical basis.

3. A plausible story set in the historical past, but whose historicity is uncertain.
the legend of Robin Hood

4. A story in which a kernel of truth is embellished to an unlikely degree.

On the basis of the above definition none of our cup winners a "legend" and accodingly Harry Potter's medal collection is the stuff of legends😉

Here’s Lucy!
23-07-2019, 12:54 PM
Cropley is a ‘great’ and a ‘legend’.

Here’s Lucy!
23-07-2019, 12:55 PM
Bobby Duncan is a ‘great’.

MWHIBBIES
23-07-2019, 12:59 PM
Absolutely not up for debate that Lewis Stevenson is a Hibs legend, more of a legend than Gray without question IMO

Barman Stanton
23-07-2019, 01:03 PM
Absolutely not up for debate that Lewis Stevenson is a Hibs legend, more of a legend than Gray without question IMO

Also amazes me that any Hibs fan wouldnt see him as such. I think some get mixed up with legends and who our most talented players were.

Bangkok Hibby
23-07-2019, 01:05 PM
There is absolutely not a doubt about the fact that Lewis Stevenson is a hibs legend.

Not one other single player has won both the league and scottish cup with hibs.

A hibs great? Maybe not. A hibs legend? Undoubtedly.

I’m 26 and would say that LS & SDG are the only hibs legends I’ve seen play for us, although I could include more after further thought.

Good thread and I wasn't going to comment as its so personal and open to different interpretation. Interested though you can have a legend higher than a great. Never thought of it this way before. My legends have all been greats first and foremost. Interesting eh?

BoomtownHibees
23-07-2019, 01:07 PM

Agree with LS being a legend but more so than SDG? No chance imo.

Here’s Lucy!
23-07-2019, 01:08 PM
Would Georgie Best fit into either category?

Cardinal G
23-07-2019, 01:15 PM
Without Stokes waking up that determined to slay the huns then there would be no Scottish Cup. He’s a legend imo. As is Stubbsy.

Like that about Sir David.

Stokes on that day earned it plus let's not forget with his goals in quarter final replay we wouldn't have made it.

Brubble1875
23-07-2019, 01:15 PM
Arthur Duncan scored a winning goal in a Scottish Cup Final. Just saying 😂

cmcd
23-07-2019, 01:19 PM

You say longevity and goalscoring do not make a player a Legend yet you put David Gray in the same category as Pat Stanton . As much as i like Gray he has not been in the same class as Bobby Duncan or John Brownlie .They may not have won much in there career but I would have them in my team before Gray

bigwheel
23-07-2019, 01:49 PM
If you'd take eleven Lewis Stevensons over almost anyone we've had, then that shows a frightening lack of insight on your part, and sums up the Scottish mentality regarding football quite well. Don't worry if you've got ability, kids, just try really hard and even if you can't get a cross to beat the first man after 15 years, you'll still be a legend.

He hasn't, in my book, earned the legend tag, and I've given you a list of eight names who unequivocally are bigger legends than him.

Similarly, the 2016 team might be a legendary team, but not every player is a legend. Indeed, none of them bar Gray are, to me.

.... “frightening lack of insight” “sums up Scottish mentality”...it is so good to be in the wisdom of the new paradigm of thinking about football in Scotland..

Alex Trager
23-07-2019, 01:50 PM

And Stevenson would have two league cup medals as well as a scottish cup medal.

To disregard a player that has done something that not one other single hibs player in all of history has done is crazy.

For me, he is absolutely a hibs legend.

Northernhibee
23-07-2019, 02:04 PM

What a load of utter bollocks. Crossing is good, best first touch in the team, positioning excellent and a capped international player to boot.

MWHIBBIES
23-07-2019, 02:14 PM

Imagine being daft enough to post this, never mind appearing to actually believe it.

First goal of our 2016 Scottish cup run was from a Lewis Stevenson cross, so was the first one in the quarter final replay.

He is a Hibs legend and he's a great ****ing player.

Future17
23-07-2019, 02:28 PM
Its up to each individual who you class as either, and nothing to do with anyone else.

Probably true, combined with how different people may define the terms in different ways...it doesn't make for a great forum discussion approach though!

HibeeHibernian4
23-07-2019, 02:55 PM

Could be the least accurate post I've ever read on here, and it faces stiff competition.

Barman Stanton
23-07-2019, 02:57 PM
Could be the least accurate post I've ever read on here, and it faces stiff competition.

Nah I think you already have that honour today.

Iggy Pope
23-07-2019, 03:01 PM

You must have been some player if your touch or crossing was better than wee 2 medals is.

Here’s Lucy!
23-07-2019, 03:21 PM

From yourself, it certainly does.

HibeeHibernian4
23-07-2019, 03:30 PM
You must have been some player if your touch or crossing was better than wee 2 medals is.

Unless I've not been paying attention, I'm not getting paid thousands of pounds a year to play left back for Hibs.

I've just rewatched the Stevenson cross for the first goal at Kirkcaldy in the cup run. :faf:

(21 seconds in: https://youtu.be/uR8lXziQNxM)

If you're telling me that's not an abysmal cross, which finds McGregor courtesy of an even worse air kick, then I'm speechless.

The cross at Inverness is of mildly better quality, but still sees two Caley defenders complete mistime their jumps and it goes over them. In other words, they did a fantastic impression of Hanlon and Stevenson's regular shtick.

MWHIBBIES
23-07-2019, 03:36 PM

First part is true, a fact, undebatable, undeniable.

2nd part just my opinion.

MWHIBBIES
23-07-2019, 03:38 PM
Unless I've not been paying attention, I'm not getting paid thousands of pounds a year to play left back for Hibs.

I've just rewatched the Stevenson cross for the first goal at Kirkcaldy in the cup run. :faf:

If you're telling me that's not an abysmal cross, which finds McGregor courtesy of an even worse air kick, then I'm speechless.

The cross at Inverness is of mildly better quality, but still sees two Caley defenders complete mistime their jumps and it goes over them. In other words, they did a fantastic impression of Hanlon and Stevenson's regular shtick.
2 assists, 2 winners medals, 1 legend.

Hiber-nation
23-07-2019, 03:52 PM

Keep it going, there must be more highlights for you to get your kicks from.

Here’s Lucy!
23-07-2019, 04:54 PM

This is an amazing post from a Hibs supporter.

Northernhibee
23-07-2019, 04:56 PM
This is an amazing post from a Hibs supporter.
Well, it’s an amazing post.

HibeeHibernian4
23-07-2019, 04:56 PM
Keep it going, there must be more highlights for you to get your kicks from.

Yeah, such as the final where club captain and bonafide legend David Gray powered home a header in the 92nd minute to win us the Scottish Cup, having spent the whole game making lung-busting runs and phenomenal tackles.

Here’s Lucy!
23-07-2019, 05:06 PM
Well, it’s an amazing post.

Sort of what I was getting at!

Here’s Lucy!
23-07-2019, 05:11 PM
Yeah, such as the final where club captain and bonafide legend David Gray powered home a header in the 92nd minute to win us the Scottish Cup, having spent the whole game making lung-busting runs and phenomenal tackles.

:confused:

Honestly?

Sammy7nil
23-07-2019, 06:14 PM

Bah Humbug :greengrin

:confused:

Honestly?

Yes Vela is playing :greengrin :wink:

Here’s Lucy!
23-07-2019, 06:18 PM
Bah Humbug :greengrin

Yes Vela is playing :greengrin :wink:

:top marks

Well played, Sammy.:aok:

Crammond Hibee
23-07-2019, 07:59 PM

Thank goodness

Iggy Pope
23-07-2019, 09:42 PM

Only one legend allowed now kids. Bin your idols.

Here’s Lucy!
23-07-2019, 09:45 PM
Only one legend allowed now kids. Bin your idols.

May I please be allowed Pat Stanton?

:wink:

Sammy7nil
30-08-2019, 11:35 AM
In light of the Whits thread I thought I would resurect this thread.

For me Whits is a Hibs great he just did not have the longevity or personality to elevate him to legend status. For me it is a narrow miss :greengrin

Barman Stanton
30-08-2019, 11:40 AM
In light of the Whits thread I thought I would resurect this thread.

For me Whits is a Hibs great he just did not have the longevity or personality to elevate him to legend status. For me it is a narrow miss :greengrin

Aw no, not this thread again. :faf:

He is one of those extremely small band of Hibs players with a major winners medal so is a legend to me. And no, Dave Beaumont is not a legend, that gets taken away as Lexo should never have given him a place on the bench :wink:

Thankfully there is no rights or wrongs on this one.

I'm Spartacus
30-08-2019, 11:48 AM
Pat Stanton is a Hibs Great (and Legend)
David Gray is a Hibs Legend - for his action that led to glory.

That's my understanding of the words. Gray a legend for the obvious, but in the grand scheme of things, he's never been a great Hibs player - like the real great greats (Stanton).

Cocaine&Caviar
30-08-2019, 12:16 PM
Benjelloun? 2 goals in a cup final

FilipinoHibs
30-08-2019, 12:26 PM
Wow this is a weird thread. I do think Lewis's crossing has improved over the last few years. Two cup winning medals and all the appearances and his general attitude off and on the pitch makes him a legend.

Barman Stanton
30-08-2019, 12:28 PM
Wow this is a weird thread. I do think Lewis's crossing has improved over the last few years. Two cup winning medals and all the appearances and his general attitude off and on the pitch makes him a legend.

Outside the Famous five teams I would say he is our biggest legend. 2 Cups, a Championship and over 400 games.

lyonhibs
30-08-2019, 12:39 PM
Outside the Famous five teams I would say he is our biggest legend. 2 Cups, a Championship and over 400 games.

Absolutely. That's just an empirical fact tbh. You'd think we were constantly lifting cups the way since folk go on about those players that actually have done so.

Anyone who played a sizeable role in our 2016 SC run is, IMO, a legend for example.

Barman Stanton
30-08-2019, 12:41 PM
Absolutely. That's just an empirical fact tbh. You'd think we were constantly lifting cups the way since folk go on about those players that actually have done so.

Anyone who played a sizeable role in our 2016 SC run is, IMO, a legend for example.

Agree. Sections of our support seem to be incredibly hard to please.

theonlywayisup
30-08-2019, 12:43 PM

I'm pretty sure that the person who made the "1st goal in the cup run" comment was getting his 1st and 2nd goals mixed up. The 2nd goal was made by a great pass from Stevenson to Malonga who did the business. Whilst the shot was unbelievable, it's the ability to make the perfectly weighted pass to someone in space that set up the goal. All to often players hold onto the ball to long, so by the time the pass is made (to Malonga) the defence has got itself sorted and someone would have blocked the shot.

Re the 1st goal, it was still a good cross, what happens after that is a result of the panic caused by a good delivery cross. It certainly was not abysmal.

Re your comment about the ICT goal, it just underlines what rubbish you've written. What does it care if the ICT defenders misjudge their jumps? They've been caught out of the correct position at the moment the cross comes in. It happens all the time. Every cross into the box, can and should be defended if the defenders are in the correct position and deal with it appropriately.

Weegreenman
30-08-2019, 12:48 PM

Those were the exact same three I was about to mention. :aok:

Sammy7nil
19-02-2020, 07:52 PM
Might help with the other thread :greengrin

Iggy Pope
20-02-2020, 12:05 AM
In your opinion what is the difference?

We all know the obvious legends but there are a few who fall somewhere in between and probably split opinion between a great and a legend.

Here are a few

Keith Wright - Legend
Goram - Great
McGinley - Great
Weir - Great
Jones - Legend
Latapy - Great
Burridge - Great never took to him don't know why.
Jackson - Great
Stokes - Legend
Bremner - Great
Edwards - Legend

There are loads more who are yours ?

Entire Tornadoes team and 2016 side are surely all greats as well as legends.

Barman Stanton
20-02-2020, 07:41 AM
Might help with the other thread :greengrin

All it shows is that legends is a personal thing. No definitive answer.

Same Sleeves
20-02-2020, 12:24 PM
Lewis Stevenson must be a Hibs club legend

He meets most if not all the criteria needed

History books= The only player to have won both cups

History books=7th in all time appearances

Personal bio = one club for 18yrs and 15 seasons in the first team

Conduct on the pitch and in the community =Excellent

Add that all up and it comes to = Hibs Club Legend

B.H.F.C
20-02-2020, 12:30 PM

I agree completely.

I’m one that thinks his time as a first pick in our team is up. But I don’t know how anybody could consider him to be anything other than a club legend.

Gloucester Hibs
20-02-2020, 12:35 PM

Agreed. I'm one who thinks he's been on a gradual downward spiral since his excellent 17/18 season, but you can't really deny his legend status.

Since452
20-02-2020, 12:47 PM
The more I think of it I've changed my mind a little. For me there are many club greats (Stevenson being one) but "Legend" is an almost god like standing amongst the fans. Doesn't matter how many appearances or trophies they have it's just that aura they have. They've usually stood out from the others through an iconic moment or through sublime skill.

The Famous Five
Pat Stanton
Franck Sauzee
Russell Latapy
Anthony Stokes
David Gray

Probably John McGinn as well to be honest

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-02-2020, 12:47 PM
Pat Stanton all day long, was devastated when he joined the manks.

Barman Stanton
20-02-2020, 01:05 PM
Everyone has their own opinion but Im really struggling to get my head around anyone not classing Stevenson as a Hibs legend. We have only won 6 Major Cups in our whole history. Lewis has won 2 of them. Not even taking into account he is a one club man who will likely retire in ourtop 5 appearances of all time. Said it before but we must have one of the hardest supports to please.

Same Sleeves
20-02-2020, 01:12 PM
The more I think of it I've changed my mind a little. For me there are many club greats (Stevenson being one) but "Legend" is an almost god like standing amongst the fans. Doesn't matter how many appearances or trophies they have it's just that aura they have. They've usually stood out from the others through an iconic moment or through sublime skill.

The Famous Five
Pat Stanton
Franck Sauzee
Russell Latapy
Anthony Stokes
David Gray

Probably John McGinn as well to be honest

Iconic moments or sublime skill are enough to get players considered as a great but Legends need to take it that bit further like having an impact on the clubs history books

Step forward Mr Stevenson

HibeeHibernian4
20-02-2020, 07:01 PM
Everyone has their own opinion but Im really struggling to get my head around anyone not classing Stevenson as a Hibs legend. We have only won 6 Major Cups in our whole history. Lewis has won 2 of them. Not even taking into account he is a one club man who will likely retire in ourtop 5 appearances of all time. Said it before but we must have one of the hardest supports to please.

It's not about loving him or the support being hard to please, it's about being objective.

And, objectively, the only case you can make for Stevenson being a legend is that Hibs have been atrocious at winning trophies at a consistent rate down the years.

Because this "Lewy's got two" stuff boils down to that and nothing else.

I say this with sincerity to Stevenson, he is a lovely man and a decent footballer, but he will be a very small footnote in Hibs' history compared to figures like Reilly and Stanton in a hundred years from now.

Edit: And I think what makes Stevenson such a nice and humble person is that he'd be the first to admit to that. Which makes some people's incessant lionising all the more misguided.

MWHIBBIES
20-02-2020, 07:05 PM
It really is as simple as no one is a legend from 2016 if he isn't. He's achieved more in green than anyone from that side so if it's not him, it's definitely not Stokes or Gray.

eastterrace
20-02-2020, 07:39 PM
It's not about loving him or the support being hard to please, it's about being objective.

And, objectively, the only case you can make for Stevenson being a legend is that Hibs have been atrocious at winning trophies at a consistent rate down the years.

I say this with sincerity to Stevenson, he is a lovely man and a decent footballer, but he will be a very small footnote in Hibs' history compared to figures like Reilly and Stanton in a hundred years from now.

Edit: And I think what makes Stevenson such a nice and humble person is that he'd be the first to admit to that. Which makes some people's incessant lionising all the more misguided.in a hundred years from now fans will be told about Lewis and probably Reilly but not pat Stanton who was a great player and a hibby but he ain’t no legend.

Sir David Gray
20-02-2020, 07:43 PM

Edit: And I think what makes Stevenson such a nice and humble person is that he'd be the first to admit to that. Which makes some people's incessant lionising all the more misguided.

As I said on another thread last night, the "what makes a legend" debate is very subjective but I couldn't disagree more.

A guy who will, in all probability, retire having played for just Hibs during his whole career, will soon have the fifth highest number of appearances in the club's history and is currently the only player in the club's history to have won both the League Cup and Scottish Cup whilst a Hibs player will absolutely be remembered for generations to come.

I'm genuinely struggling with the idea that Lewis Stevenson could be anything but a Hibs legend.

Each to their own though.

SideBurns
20-02-2020, 07:58 PM
in a hundred years from now fans will be told about Lewis and probably Reilly but not pat Stanton who was a great player and a hibby but he ain’t no legend.

As a couple of posters have said, it is subjective but if fans are still talking about Stevenson & Reilly in 100 years they'll be talking about Stanton too - in fact, you're either at it or know nothing about the man.

Kato
20-02-2020, 08:00 PM
in a hundred years from now fans will be told about Lewis and probably Reilly but not pat Stanton who was a great player and a hibby but he ain’t no legend.

Is this part of the climate change denial thread?

BILLYHIBS
20-02-2020, 08:04 PM

:wtf:

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

Love Lewis to bits but he couldnae lace Pat Stanton’s boots

MWHIBBIES
20-02-2020, 08:09 PM
:wtf:

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

Love Lewis to bits but he couldnae lace Pat Stanton’s boots

Could he not? Different times certainly but it doesn't matter. Lewis will retire will more major trophies won as a Hibs player than Pat.

Lewis is easily as big a Hibs legend as Stanton.

BILLYHIBS
20-02-2020, 08:17 PM
Could he not? Different times certainly but it doesn't matter. Lewis will retire will more major trophies won as a Hibs player than Pat.

Lewis is easily as big a Hibs legend as Stanton.

No!

Just imho

You of course are entitled to yours however misguided that may be

2 x Dryburgh Cups 1x League Cup 1 x Summer Cup
1 x Scottish Cup 1 x Scottish League
16 x Scotland Caps
617 apps 78 goals

Single handedly dismantled Jock Steins Celtic side in the 1972 League Cup Final who only the season before had been in what you would call today the Champions League Final

Pat Stanton was a majestic graceful footballer hard as nails equally as good in the air and as centre half sweeper or midfield

Fanforlife
20-02-2020, 08:20 PM

Lewis is easily as big a Hibs legend as Stanton.Lewis quite rightly regarded as Hibs Legend, however never in a month of Sunday,s,Blue moon,s or other forms will he ever be classed as anywhere near being of the Quality of St.Patrick Gordon Stanton!!!

bigwheel
20-02-2020, 08:29 PM
Don’t know why people are debating Lewis v Pat...it’s not as if we have 100s of legends. Let’s enjoy them for who they are and their fabulous individual contributions to our great clubs history

Both Hibee Heroes...love them ...

Kato
20-02-2020, 08:31 PM
Don’t know why people are debating Lewis v Pat...it’s not as if we have 100s of legends. Let’s enjoy them for who they are and their fabulous individual contributions to our great clubs history

Both Hibee Heroes...love them ...

I don't think we are debating them against each other it's this assertion "pat Stanton who was a great player and a hibby but he ain’t no legend" . :rolleyes:

SideBurns
20-02-2020, 08:35 PM
No!

Just imho

16 x Scotland Caps
617 apps 78 goals

Single handedly dismantled Jock Steins Celtic side in the 1972 League Cup Final who only the season before had been in what you would call today the Champions League Final

Pat Stanton was a majestic graceful footballer hard as nails equally as good in the air and as centre half sweeper or midfield

Arguing about who is the bigger legend is one thing, but the debate has been sparked by eastterrace claiming Stanton "ain't no legend" and that Hibbies of the future would talk about Lewis & Reilly but not Pat! I'm always hesitant to brand fellow Hibbies opinions as nonsense, but this is clearly a load of keech. If he's trolling, I'm not sure what he is getting out of it.

BILLYHIBS
20-02-2020, 08:39 PM
Arguing about who is the bigger legend is one thing, but the debate has been sparked by eastterrace claiming Stanton "ain't no legend" and that Hibbies of the future would talk about Lewis & Reilly but not Pat! I'm always hesitant to brand fellow Hibbies opinions as nonsense, but this is clearly a load of keech. If he's trolling, I'm not sure what he is getting out of it.

I’m away back to my programmes and my HIBS books until Saturday where I will be giving Lewis my undying support 😁

bigwheel
20-02-2020, 08:43 PM
I don't think we are debating them against each other it's this assertion "pat Stanton who was a great player and a hibby but he ain’t no legend" . :rolleyes:

Tbh. That one post suggesting that was so laughable it’s best ignored

Kato
20-02-2020, 08:52 PM
Tbh. That one post suggesting that was so laughable it’s best ignored

Probs....but sometimes fake news must be confronted.

Patrick Gordon Stanton is Hibernian FC incarnate.

Anyone slightly dissing him needs the full-on, blasphemer, medieval, inquisition treatment.

imho obviously.

MWHIBBIES
20-02-2020, 09:04 PM
No!

Just imho

16 x Scotland Caps
617 apps 78 goals

Right but Lewis won 2 real trophies with Hibs including the Scottish after 100 odd years. He is an equal of Stanton at least.

BILLYHIBS
20-02-2020, 09:15 PM
Right but Lewis won 2 real trophies with Hibs including the Scottish after 100 odd years. He is an equal of Stanton at least.

Pat Stanton was also Hibernian Manager

Played 16 times for Scotland when it was difficult to get picked and should have been more

Not diddy wee friendlies in deepest South America that no one could be arsed going to because they were on their holidays never to be picked again

I agree Lewis Stevenson is a HIBS legend

Pat Stanton is in the Hall of Fame with Lawrie Reilly and Eddie Turnbull

As another poster says anyone that disses Pat Stanton on here should be put in stocks at the bottom of Leith Walk and have rotten fruit thrown at them

I have seen Pat Stanton and Lewis Stevenson at their best and trust me Pat Stanton is by far the superior player

Both Hibernian legends

But Patrick Gordon Stanton slightly better in my eyes 😁

Pat Stanton was always Captain of Hibernian Football Club great nephew of the first ever Hibernian Captain Michael Wheelahan another reason he is so engrained in our club

Not sure if Lewis has ever been Captain great player though he is?

SideBurns
20-02-2020, 09:20 PM
Probs....but sometimes fake news must be confronted.

Patrick Gordon Stanton is Hibernian FC incarnate.

Anyone slightly dissing him needs the full-on, blasphemer, medieval, inquisition treatment.

imho obviously.

The first time I met Pat, he told me my dad was "...the dirtiest player he'd ever come up against", or words to that effect. My dad protested; and given Pat played against the likes of Tam Forsyth, Norman Hunter etc. during his career, I think it was just Pat winding ma faither up 😁

I found it funny at the time, and don't hold it against him!

DickieDastardly
20-02-2020, 09:25 PM
For me a legend means someone who will be long remembered.

Alan Stubbs fits that bill, the manager who broke the millstone that had haunted the club for decades.

Franck Sauzee is the finest player I’ve seen in a Hibs jersey, though I did not see the team in the early 70’s; again for me he fits the bill as a legend.

Just my tuppence-worth......

FilipinoHibs
20-02-2020, 09:29 PM
Pat Stanton was also Hibernian Manager

Played 16 times for Scotland when it was difficult to get picked and should have been more

Not diddy wee friendlies in deepest South America that no one could be arsed going to because they were on their holidays never to be picked again

I agree Lewis Stevenson is a HIBS legend

Pat Stanton is in the Hall of Fame with Lawrie Reilly and Eddie Turnbull

As another poster says anyone that disses Pat Stanton on here should be put in stocks at the bottom of Leith Walk and have rotten fruit thrown at them

I have seen Pat Stanton and Lewis Stevenson at their best and trust me Pat Stanton is by far the superior player

Both Hibernian legends

But Patrick Gordon Stanton slightly better in my eyes 😁

Slightly? Miles. Seen them both to.

eastterrace
20-02-2020, 09:39 PM
Arguing about who is the bigger legend is one thing, but the debate has been sparked by eastterrace claiming Stanton "ain't no legend" and that Hibbies of the future would talk about Lewis & Reilly but not Pat! I'm always hesitant to brand fellow Hibbies opinions as nonsense, but this is clearly a load of keech. If he's trolling, I'm not sure what he is getting out of it.sorry I ain’t trolling it’s just my opinion that Lewis will be talked more about in 100 years than what pat will . I’m not saying Lewis is a better player which he ain’t as pat was superb but I just think Lewis will be remembered more for winning both cups , only my opinion.

H18S NX
20-02-2020, 09:59 PM
2016 team will go down as legends,but surely the famous five are legends too,still my favourites are willie hamilton,the baker boy,pat stanton and mikey edwards.

Sir David Gray
20-02-2020, 10:00 PM
sorry I ain’t trolling it’s just my opinion that Lewis will be talked more about in 100 years than what pat will . I’m not saying Lewis is a better player which he ain’t as pat was superb but I just think Lewis will be remembered more for winning both cups , only my opinion.

I agree.

I don't think being a legend necessarily means that you're a better player than others.

For example, Conrad Logan isn't the best goalkeeper we've ever had but is a legend in my opinion.

BILLYHIBS
20-02-2020, 10:02 PM
2016 team will go down as legends,but surely the famous five are legends too,still my favourites are willie hamilton,the baker boy,pat stanton and mikey edwards.

Ah!

Alex Mickey Edwards

Now there was a player

Could hit a 50 pence from fifty yards with a ball

Kato
20-02-2020, 10:23 PM
sorry I ain’t trolling it’s just my opinion that Lewis will be talked more about in 100 years than what pat will . I’m not saying Lewis is a better player which he ain’t as pat was superb but I just think Lewis will be remembered more for winning both cups , only my opinion.Pat played in some of our best games in Europe and also had Hearts on toast for most of his playing career, which I included a wee game at Tiny that was our rivals biggest home defeat. He was also Captain in our Centenary season and is related to the man who founded the club. In a hundred years time if someone is writing a history book on our club you can bet your bottom dollar he'll be mentioned more than wer Lou.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
20-02-2020, 10:35 PM
Pat played in some of our best games in Europe and also had Hearts on toast for most of his playing career, which I included a wee game at Tiny that was our rivals biggest home defeat. He was also Captain in our Centenary season and is related to the man who founded the club. In a hundred years time if someone is writing a history book on our club you can bet your bottom dollar he'll be mentioned more than wer Lou.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Agree

Lewis will be a good pub quiz question

I know I know too far too far !!

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2020, 10:52 PM
Pat and Lewis are both legends, no question about it.<br><br>We wont have any arguments over who was the best player if you watched both, just as those who saw Willie Hamilton might say he was better than Pat.<br><br>I'm glad i've seen Pat and Lewis, and many more great players and servants.&nbsp;

cmcd
20-02-2020, 10:56 PM

Did you not watch Hibs games in the 60s and 70s . As much as I love Lewis he is not in the same league as Pat Stanton

500miles
21-02-2020, 12:00 AM
The Stevenson story of meteoric rise, to cup win, to drop off, to bit part player, to relegation, to guaranteed starter, THE cup win, promotion, to a late Scotland call up. It's a something else. Stanton was one of the great players of his era, but you have to look at Lewis' achievements in the context of a tumultuous time and put him down as my Hibs legend, and the embodiment of that old Leith motto, "Persevere".

MWHIBBIES
21-02-2020, 06:33 AM
Did you not watch Hibs games in the 60s and 70s . As much as I love Lewis he is not in the same league as Pat Stanton

I agree, Lewis won the Scottish and didn't leave for Celtic. Comfortably ahead but that will never be agreed with on here.

MagicSwirlingShip
21-02-2020, 06:56 AM
Is this conversation for real?:rolleyes:

SideBurns
21-02-2020, 06:59 AM
I agree, Lewis won the Scottish and didn't leave for Celtic. Comfortably ahead but that will never be agreed with on here.

This is getting silly. The circumstances behind Stanton's departure are well known, and weren't driven by him. And do you really think Stevenson wouldn't have signed for Celtic if they'd came in for him? The bottom line is that only one of them was good enough to play for Celtic, in any era.

I've got plenty time for Lewis, and completely agree that he is a Hibs legend. To me, that should be beyond argument. I just cannae understand any Hibby expressing a view that Pat Stanton isn't one. And I speak as someone with the misfortune to have narrowly missed out on seeing the TTs (other than in TV footage many times since). But Stanton's career and achievements in a Hibs jersey speak for themselves.

supermcginn
21-02-2020, 07:03 AM
Lewis also played in the two worst results in our history.

BILLYHIBS
21-02-2020, 07:04 AM

Yeah didn’t quite happen that way with Pat

He had fallen out with Turnbull and Jock Stein being a big admirer of Pat wanted him to shore up his leaking defence so arranged a swap deal with Turnbull for Jackie MacNamara SNR with Pat going the other way which worked out no too bad for HIBS

Lewis Stevenson is no doubt a HIBS legend in the same way that Stephane Adam is a Hearts legend but yams will tell you that real LEGENDS are John Robertson Dave Mackay Tommy Walker and Willie Bauld the same way as our real LEGENDS are Smith Johnstone Reilly Turnbull Ormond Baker and Stanton to countless generations of Hibernian fans

It is all about personal opinion I suppose both are legends but Stanton the far superior player by a country mile a proud club captain and never relegated as a player

MWHIBBIES
21-02-2020, 07:07 AM
Yeah didn’t quite happen that way with Pat

He had fallen out with Turnbull and Jock Stein being a big admirer of Pat wanted him to shore up his leaking defence so arranged a swap deal with Turnbull for Jackie MacNamara SNR with Pat going the other way which worked out no too bad for HIBS

Lewis Stevenson is no doubt a HIBS legend in the same way that Stephane Adam is a Hearts legend but yams will tell you that real LEGENDS are John Robertson Dave Mackay Tommy Walker and Willie Bauld the same way as our real LEGENDS are Smith Johnstone Reilly Turnbull Ormond Baker and Stanton to countless generations of Hibernian fans

It is all about personal opinion I suppose both are legends but Stanton the far superior player by a country mile a proud club captain and never relegated as a player

Lewis is without question in that bracket of players for Hibs. He is as real a Hibs legend as anyone.

BILLYHIBS
21-02-2020, 07:09 AM
Lewis is without question in that bracket of players for Hibs. He is as real a Hibs legend as anyone.

Whatever :rolleyes:

BILLYHIBS
21-02-2020, 07:44 AM

You do realise you are comparing a player who can never beat the first man with his crosses and spends most of the game going backwards rather than forwards to a living legend who has just been appointed official ambassador of our great club and whose knuckles must turn white every time Lewis receives a ball on a Saturday ? :greengrin

Since452
21-02-2020, 07:55 AM
Lewis being hailed a legend for winning two trophies is more a reflection on our woeful cup record. I'll get pelters for this but I think he's average.

MWHIBBIES
21-02-2020, 08:16 AM
You do realise you are comparing a player who can never beat the first man with his crosses and spends most of the game going backwards rather than forwards to a living legend who has just been appointed official ambassador of our great club and whose knuckles must turn white every time Lewis receives a ball on a Saturday ? :greengrin
I'm comparing someone who won 2 major trophies to someone who won 1.

Shows how much of a legend Lewis truly is that you must insult him and make things up to make an argument for someone else.

MWHIBBIES
21-02-2020, 08:17 AM
Lewis being hailed a legend for winning two trophies is more a reflection on our woeful cup record. I'll get pelters for this but I think he's average.

Our cup record hasn't been woeful with Lewis here. 5 finals 2 wins. Better than it was in the 70s.

BILLYHIBS
21-02-2020, 08:19 AM

Shows how much of a legend Lewis truly is that you must insult him and make things up to make an argument for someone else.

Making what up?

Pray explain yourself?

You just have to read through these threads to see that Lewis has not been himself this season

I watch him every Saturday and have lost count of the number of failed crosses and lost possession he has made

Lewis himself will know this

He lost his place to a player who is first to admit he is not a winger but a CM

I would describe him season to date as average and that is being kind

I do not make stuff up!

B.H.F.C
21-02-2020, 08:20 AM

Nobody is saying he is one of the best players in our history.

There have been better players in the past. There are better players now. And there will be better players in the future.

I think we need a new left back but I also think he is, and always will be, a legend at this club. This argument about him winning two trophies just being a reflection on our cup record is nonsense. If anything, showing how difficult it is to do should elevate him even more

SideBurns
21-02-2020, 08:42 AM
This thread was going fine until someone suggested that in 100 years Hibbies would be told about Lewis, but not Stanton. That was never going to be left unchallenged.

They are both surely legends for different reasons? Lewis was given MotM in a brilliant League Cup Final win in 2007. Nine years later he won the Scottish Cup. 'Nuff said surely?

Pat Stanton - his achievements as a Hibs player are too long for me to bother listing here. But it is generally accepted that, were it not for one of the greatest Celtic teams of all time, they would be even better. And we wouldn't have turned up at Hampden on 21.05.16 wondering if it was going to be 115 years without winning the cup..

BILLYHIBS
21-02-2020, 08:56 AM
This thread was going fine until someone suggested that in 100 years Hibbies would be told about Lewis, but not Stanton. That was never going to be left unchallenged.

They are both surely legends for different reasons? Lewis was given MotM in a brilliant League Cup Final win in 2007. Nine years later he won the Scottish Cup. 'Nuff said surely?

Pat Stanton - his achievements as a Hibs player are too long for me to bother listing here. But it is generally accepted that, were it not for one of the greatest Celtic teams of all time, they would be even better. And we wouldn't have turned up at Hampden on 21.05.16 wondering if it was going to be 115 years without winning the cup..

Agree with this

Barman Stanton
21-02-2020, 09:20 AM
Of course both Lewis and Stanton are legends. There is of course no comparison, Stanton clearly the better player by miles.

But what Lewis has achieved with possibly limited ability is incredible really. To retire in our top 5 appearances alone would be impressive before you even take into account he won both cups. Each to their own, but if that doesnt make you a legend you must be a right miserable sod. :agree:

Kato
21-02-2020, 09:39 AM

Well that's your (narrow, un-nuanced) criteria - luckily we all don't have to go by them.

MWHIBBIES
21-02-2020, 09:58 AM
Making what up?

Pray explain yourself?

You just have to read through these threads to see that Lewis has not been himself this season

I watch him every Saturday and have lost count of the number of failed crosses and lost possession he has made

Lewis himself will know this

He lost his place to a player who is first to admit he is not a winger but a CM

I would describe him season to date as average and that is being kind

I do not make stuff up!

The stuff about crosses is just nonsense.

BILLYHIBS
21-02-2020, 10:09 AM
The stuff about crosses is just nonsense.

It’s not!

Admit it your hero has not been that great this season

In Jack Ross we trust

No doubt he will be back as he looked as though he had a rocket up his arse when he came on on Sunday 😁

WeeRussell
21-02-2020, 12:20 PM
Stevenson would be the first to admit he wouldn't feature on a thread of our most gifted footballers. But that's not what this thread is.

Plenty of incredibly talented people don't bcome legends.

HibeeHibernian4
21-02-2020, 12:33 PM

Chris Dagnall was a Liam Fontaine overhead kick away from doing the exact same.

HibeeHibernian4
21-02-2020, 12:36 PM

This is all extremely correct even if some fans wish it wasn’t.

MWHIBBIES
21-02-2020, 12:36 PM
It’s not!

Admit it your hero has not been that great this season

In Jack Ross we trust

No doubt he will be back as he looked as though he had a rocket up his arse when he came on on Sunday 😁

I never actually ****ing said anything about this season. Admit it, you're hero won less with a far better team. Lewis definitely could lace his boots. He's earned far more respect that he is being shown. Not just a Hibs legend but would walk into a top 10.

The Lewis cross this is an utter myth. Assisted so many important goals in the last 5 years.

MWHIBBIES
21-02-2020, 12:38 PM
Chris Dagnall was a Liam Fontaine overhead kick away from doing the exact same.

Aye that's it sorted then. Stanton was not conceding 6 goals in 3 different finals away from doing it too.

If my dad had 3 balls he'd be a pinball machine.

B.H.F.C
21-02-2020, 12:42 PM
This is all extremely correct even if some fans wish it wasn’t.

No it’s no. It’s nonsense.

And Lewis Stevenson is far from my favourite player.

Hiber-nation
21-02-2020, 12:50 PM

Lewis would be absolutely mortified if someone told him he was as much a Hibs legend as Pat Stanton.

And I do consider Lewis to be a Hibs legend. His form this season is a worry though.

supermcginn
21-02-2020, 12:53 PM
I never actually ****ing said anything about this season. Admit it, you're hero won less with a far better team. Lewis definitely could lace his boots. He's earned far more respect that he is being shown. Not just a Hibs legend but would walk into a top 10.

The Lewis cross this is an utter myth. Assisted so many important goals in the last 5 years.
You've lost the plot! Top 10 haha dearie me.

HibeeHibernian4
21-02-2020, 12:54 PM
Aye that's it sorted then. Stanton was not conceding 6 goals in 3 different finals away from doing it too.

My point is that “lewy’s got two haha!” is a very unsophisticated argument which, as has been correctly pointed out, really just shows how bad we are at consistently winning trophies.

Compare it with Aberdeen, most of their team from the eighties have League, Scottish and League Cup medals. Most of Hearts’ team from the fifties have the same.

Stevenson being the only player in our history to have won both is testament to two things: the abysmally inconsistent cup record, which I’ve already touched upon, and the truth that the biggest Stevenson defenders are not going to like being spoken. Lewis Stevenson is a mediocre footballer, and this is proven by the fact that any talented Hibs player in the context of modern football leaves for ‘bigger and better’ things within a few seasons. Stevenson’s longevity is proof positive of his average ability (again, he’s a lovely man and he’d be the first to admit this), and it is this longevity which has allowed him to stay at his level and win both trophies over the span of nine years.

Also let’s just nip this in the bud, that Man of the Match award in the CIS Cup Final was one of the most farcical decisions ever made. Benji, Fletcher and Jones can all consider themselves robbed.

Barman Stanton
21-02-2020, 12:57 PM
No it’s no. It’s nonsense.

And Lewis Stevenson is far from my favourite player.

Agree. Likewise he is no where near my favourite Hibs player. But you don't rack up close to 500 appearances for Hibs if your average. If he was you would think at least one of the many managers he has played under might replace him. This forum is bonkers at times.

WeeRussell
21-02-2020, 12:59 PM
My point is that “lewy’s got two haha!” is a very unsophisticated argument which, as has been correctly pointed out, really just shows how bad we are at consistently winning trophies.

Compare it with Aberdeen, most of their team from the eighties have League, Scottish and League Cup medals. Most of Hearts’ team from the fifties have the same.

Stevenson being the only player in our history to have won both is testament to two things: the abysmally inconsistent cup record, which I’ve already touched upon, and the truth that the biggest Stevenson defenders are not going to like being spoken. Lewis Stevenson is a mediocre footballer, and this is proven by the fact that any talented Hibs player in the context of modern football leaves for ‘bigger and better’ things within a few seasons. Stevenson’s longevity is proof positive of his average ability (again, he’s a lovely man and he’d be the first to admit this), and it is this longevity which has allowed him to stay at his level and win both trophies over the span of nine years.

Also let’s just nip this in the bud, that Man of the Match award in the CIS Cup Final was one of the most farcical decisions ever made. Benji, Fletcher and Jones can all consider themselves robbed.

Don't a lot of the mediorce players struggle to hold down a place at Hibs, slip down a division or two, or fade into obscurity?

Stevenson isn't Maldini, and no he's not close to the best full back we've had at Hibs, but he's held his place in good Hibs teams for a reason.

Barman Stanton
21-02-2020, 01:00 PM

Damn, you really dislike the guy huh? Cant believe Im reading such crap on a Hibs forum. Jambos dont even need to join this forum, when we do a good enough job of sticking the boot into our own players ourselves.

Peevemor
21-02-2020, 01:01 PM
Damn, you really dislike the guy huh? Cant believe Im reading such crap on a Hibs forum. Jambos dont even need to join this forum, when do a good enough job of sticking the boot into our own players ourselves.

Well said.

Sir David Gray
21-02-2020, 01:11 PM
When did someone have to be one of our greatest players in order to be a legend?

Hiber-nation
21-02-2020, 01:15 PM
When did someone have to be one of our greatest players in order to be a legend?

Depends on the criteria you'd use for a legend. For me either a truly great player (Sauzee, Latapy), a long-serving player, ideally with medals (Lewis) or a combination of both (Stanton).

HibeeHibernian4
21-02-2020, 01:23 PM
Damn, you really dislike the guy huh? Cant believe Im reading such crap on a Hibs forum. Jambos dont even need to join this forum, when we do a good enough job of sticking the boot into our own players ourselves.

Why is recognising the limitations of a player sticking the boot in? Should I just pretend he’s actually brilliant and it’s just somehow escaped the attention of every club above us in the football food chain for fifteen years?

HibeeHibernian4
21-02-2020, 01:25 PM
Agree. Likewise he is no where near my favourite Hibs player. But you don't rack up close to 500 appearances for Hibs if your average. If he was you would think at least one of the many managers he has played under might replace him. This forum is bonkers at times.

You absolutely can, Stevenson is a 5.5 or 6 out of 10 player most weeks with the occasional very good game thrown in (those are becoming rarer and rarer). I don’t know if you’ve noticed but Hibs have been a very average team in this period we’re discussing. The idea that we could therefore have a long serving player who’s average is not that impossible, is it?

Sir David Gray
21-02-2020, 01:30 PM
Depends on the criteria you'd use for a legend. For me either a truly great player (Sauzee, Latapy), a long-serving player, ideally with medals (Lewis) or a combination of both (Stanton).

Mainly the second and third definitions for me.

A player who has achieved something with the club or holds some kind of record with the club is automatically a legend regardless of their playing ability.

Barman Stanton
21-02-2020, 01:32 PM
Why is recognising the limitations of a player sticking the boot in? Should I just pretend he’s actually brilliant and it’s just somehow escaped the attention of every club above us in the football food chain for fifteen years?

No, but its an incredibly depressing outlook. I mentioned earlier that he had limited ability. I dont think anyone has said he is brilliant. Most Hibs fans are able to recognise what he has brought to the team though, without sticking the boot in like the way you did.

What ever works for you though. End of the day, your sitting writing negative rubbish about a great Hibs servant (not sure why you had to even have a go at the MOTM award!?). Whilst he sits there with Scottish Cup and League Cup winners medals in his house.

Barman Stanton
21-02-2020, 01:34 PM
You absolutely can, Stevenson is a 5.5 or 6 out of 10 player most weeks with the occasional very good game thrown in (those are becoming rarer and rarer). I don’t know if you’ve noticed but Hibs have been a very average team in this period we’re discussing. The idea that we could therefore have a long serving player who’s average is not that impossible, is it?

I would say a 7 most weeks personally. Normally good. Not terrible and not amazing.

BILLYHIBS
21-02-2020, 01:37 PM

In fairness I am talking about this season

The rest of your argument is laughable

If you had seen what I have seen of both players you would agree with me

Lewis is a legend no doubt but would be the first to admit nowhere near as good or as lauded as Pat Stanton

MWHIBBIES
21-02-2020, 04:54 PM
In fairness I am talking about this season

The rest of your argument is laughable

If you had seen what I have seen of both players you would agree with me

Lewis is a legend no doubt but would be the first to admit nowhere near as good or as lauded as Pat Stanton

I never said he was as good. Not once. He had achieved more and deserves to be spoken about in the same breath. None of this "couldn't lace his boots" patter. He most definitely could and hasn't worked his ****ing arse off for 14 years, broken records, achieved things guys like Stanton, Baker and Turnbull fell short of only to be told he couldn't lace their boots.

Lewis is every bit the legend those guys are. He might not be as talented but he more than makes up for it in other ways. Legends take different shapes and forms. Talent is only one part of it.

BILLYHIBS
21-02-2020, 04:58 PM
I never said he was as good. Not once. He had achieved more and deserves to be spoken about in the same breath. None of this "couldn't lace his boots" patter. He most definitely could and hasn't worked his ****ing arse off for 14 years, broken records, achieved things guys like Stanton, Baker and Turnbull fell short of only to be told he couldn't lace their boots.

Lewis is every bit the legend those guys are. He might not be as talented but he more than makes up for it in other ways. Legends take different shapes and forms. Talent is only one part of it.

Agree

Maybe we can go together when Lewis gets inducted into the Hall of Fame ?

After all we are both hibbies but from different generations

Nothing at all against Lewis but even he will know he needs to kick on this season

Check out my avatar

MWHIBBIES
21-02-2020, 05:35 PM
Agree

Maybe we can go together when Lewis gets inducted into the Hall of Fame ?

After all we are both hibbies but from different generations

Nothing at all against Lewis but even he will know he needs to kick on this season

Check out my avatar

Lewis could score 10 own goals on Saturday and it wouldn't affect his legendary status. This season really is irrelevant in this thead, I've no idea why you keep bringing it up.

BILLYHIBS
21-02-2020, 05:38 PM
Lewis could score 10 own goals on Saturday and it wouldn't affect his legendary status. This season really is irrelevant in this thead, I've no idea why you keep bringing it up.

Only because for some reason he has dropped below his usual immaculate standards

He has seen them all off and hopefully he will see them all off again

Hope we don’t have to wait too long for our Hall of Fame Dinner ? 😁

SideBurns
21-02-2020, 07:13 PM

You insinuated that Stanton signing for Celtic diminishes him too. You've obviously got something against him, despite his years of service at Easter Road before he (reluctantly) finished his career in Glesgae.

Funnily enough, his brief period at Celtic Park saw him win the league & cup. I doubt many of their fans would disrespect Pat in the same way you seem determined to do for some reason.

where'stheslope
21-02-2020, 07:24 PM
Totally agree with this except for Stokesy, legends are players who took the club to their hearts and stay with it for a long time!

Most of today's players come to clubs and as soon as a better offer comes in are offsky, Kamberi is a classic example of this.

Players who have longevity at any club should be highly respected and given the title of "LEGEND"!!!!!

BILLYHIBS
21-02-2020, 07:51 PM
Hmmmmm!

Stokesy for me grabbed that game by the scruff of the neck and woke us from our 114 year slumber he hated the Hun and was the impetus we needed to make a difference

SDG forever a legend for scoring that winner as is every man jack that played for our great club throughout our 114 th campaign ( since 1902 ) but in my humble opinion without Stokesy there was no Scottish Cup

“ Every cloud has a silver lining and today we found our silver lining”

Alan Stubbs

MWHIBBIES
21-02-2020, 08:25 PM
You insinuated that Stanton signing for Celtic diminishes him too. You've obviously got something against him, despite his years of service at Easter Road before he (reluctantly) finished his career in Glesgae.

Funnily enough, his brief period at Celtic Park saw him win the league & cup. I doubt many of their fans would disrespect Pat in the same way you seem determined to do for some reason.

Its not me who has something against Stanton, its many others who have something against Lewis. Stanton was just a random comparison, I could use any player to compare.

WoreTheGreen
21-02-2020, 08:31 PM
Random ffs

BILLYHIBS
21-02-2020, 08:38 PM
Random ffs

To give the OP an idea of what we are talking about the only player I have seen come close to Pat Stanton in my fifty five years of watching HIBS is Franck Sauzee Le God and even he just falls short imho

Lewis Stevenson is without doubt a legend and no doubt he will be honoured to be considered so

MWHIBBIES
21-02-2020, 08:55 PM
Random ffs

?

In this scenario he is a random comparison. Same as Franck Sauzee, Amadou Konte or Gordon Durie would also be random. Nothing against any of them or Stanton.

Malthibby
21-02-2020, 11:59 PM
Just watched Time for Heroes again, we are all entitled to laud the players who are most important to us, I've got a few from the 70s in particular, but
as far as the team who won the Scottish, every last one who got us there and who won it on the day, they are all legends.
Just a fairytale & we need to just embrace it, enjoy it. And win it again of course.
I really, really love Hibs.
GG

Onion
22-02-2020, 06:56 AM

Agreed, Stanton is no Legend. He is a god.

FilipinoHibs
22-02-2020, 07:25 AM
To me being round for a long time and making lots of appearances even if you pick up a winners medal does not make you a legend. The Stevenson arguments could be applied to Hanlon who is arguably a better player.

Sauzee and Latapy had much shorter careers but lit up ER with their performances and contributed heavily to some memorable victories - 6-2,0-3 and 3-1.

Somebody like Riordan had less appearances than Stevenson but was a great talent who scored over 100 goals for us, most of them spectacular or highly technical.

Some performances were legendary - Stokes in the final and Conrad in the semi - but they were one offs in a short Hibs career.

The famous 5 along with Stanton are true legends. Long Hibs careers with Hibs in their blood. They helped bring success and a buccaneer style of play to Hibs.

Everytime all these legends got the ball their was an air of excitement at ER that something special was going to happen and they loved doing it for the Hibs and the fans.

Sammy7nil
22-02-2020, 07:55 AM
To me being round for a long time and making lots of appearances even if you pick up a winners medal does not make you a legend. The Stevenson arguments could be applied to Hanlon who is arguably a better player.

Sauzee and Latapy had much shorter careers but lit up ER with their performances and contributed heavily to some memorable victories - 6-2,0-3 and 3-1.

Somebody like Riordan had less appearances than Stevenson but was a great talent who scored over 100 goals for us, most of them spectacular or highly technical.

Some performances were legendary - Stokes in the final and Conrad in the semi - but they were one offs in a short Hibs career.

The famous 5 along with Stanton are true legends. Long Hibs careers with Hibs in their blood. They helped bring success and a buccaneer style of play to Hibs.

Everytime all these legends got the ball their was an air of excitement at ER that something special was going to happen and they loved doing it for the Hibs and the fans.

:aok:

Sammy7nil
22-02-2020, 08:01 AM
I love Lewis he is a great servant to Hibs and will rightly have a place in our history. The problem is he is not a great football player he is a good player. Lewis would probably be the first to admit it. Anyone who saw both play know the Comparisons with Stanton ability wise are just silly.

Anyone over the age of 55 would have Stanton in their all time greatest Hibs 11 along with some of his team mates of that time. Based on ability I am not sure Lewis would ever be considered for an all time greatest 11.

I think we should just appreciate them both and agree they both deserve their place in our history but for different reasons.