PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

RIP
22-07-2019, 09:07 PM
Hibs defender is in his own half. Nobody in front within 30 yards. Passes sideways to a player further away from the opposition goal. Who then passes back across.

Hibs midfielder is in front of goal, 25 yards out. Plays ball to winger who is 35 yards from goal. Winger pumps in a high cross, which if it doesn’t hit the first man or overshoot, is mopped up by one of six opposing defenders.

Repeat one and two expecting a different outcome.

That’s what we seem to be paying money for at the moment. Maybe I’m not a football man or not clued up on modern tactics.

Where has running forward quickly at the opposition gone? Or trying a one two? Or err dribbling? Changing a game? Giving the fans some excitement?

Blaster
22-07-2019, 09:13 PM
Yes

Another positive thread

Stuart93
22-07-2019, 09:15 PM
Hibs defender is in his own half. Nobody in front within 30 yards. Passes sideways to a player further away from the opposition goal. Who then passes back across.

Hibs midfielder is in front of goal, 25 yards out. Plays ball to winger who is 35 yards from goal. Winger pumps in a high cross, which if it doesn’t hit the first man or overshoot, is mopped up by one of six opposing defenders.

That’s what we seem to be paying money for at the moment. Maybe I’m not a football man or not clued up on modern tactics.

Where has running forward quickly at the opposition gone? Or trying a one two? Or err dribbling? Changing a game? Giving the fans some excitement?

You know, you don’t have to pay your money to go watch it?

DTS
22-07-2019, 09:22 PM

IMO the paragraph about defending half is accurate and we are a bit too slow to feed the midfield, a reason I doubt we’ll see mcgregor much when porteous is fit.

The second paragraph again in my opinion is a nonsense. If there’s 6 defenders and your 25 yards from goal with them all between you then what chance do you have of running through them? So play it wide to stretch them we also now have an Ariel threat that with good delivery will score goals. Boyle and Horgan are also a lot of the time very direct when on the ball especially Boyle and the likes of Scott Allan will look to play a killer pass when possible.

RIP
22-07-2019, 09:24 PM

I went to my first Hibs game in 1961. Myself and four of my family stand in the singing section and have season tickets every year. I’ve followed the boys in green through thick and thin.

I’ve been waiting to see the exciting style of play that Paul’s been telling us is coming. What I’m seeing is passing the buck instead of taking responsibility. That’s not the Hibs style of play that I was brought up on.

I was just wondering if my take on our playing style struck a chord with anyone else?

DTS
22-07-2019, 09:26 PM
I went to my first Hibs game in 1961. Myself and four of my family stand in the singing section and have season tickets every year. I’ve followed the boys in green through thick and thin.

I’ve been waiting to see the exciting style of play that Paul’s been telling us is coming. What I’m seeing is passing the buck instead of taking responsibility. That’s not the Hibs style of play that I was brought up on.

Maybe sit tight realise it’s not even August and we’re still 2 weeks from the first league game before passing judgement? Like it or not touch, vision final ball etc all come with improved match sharpness when you’re in the groove game to game. If we’re lingering out of the hunt for Europe at Christmas then I’ll be worried

Here’s Lucy!
22-07-2019, 09:32 PM
A thread that will grow arms and legs imo.

But, no positives within said thread.

Why, oh why, does this keep occurring?

Scouse Hibee
22-07-2019, 09:37 PM

It's not just you as you have accurately described many of the passages of play from Saturday. If it was to continue in the same vein throughout the season then you certainly won't be the only one complaining. Plenty of time to sharpen up and hit the ground running in the League so i wouldn't press the panic button just yet though.

BoltonHibee
22-07-2019, 09:44 PM

Not just you. Unfortunately seeing similarities to his football in England. Turned off at HT as it was predictable and boring.

If this continues, long hard season ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

superfurryhibby
22-07-2019, 09:49 PM
The modern Scottish game is rife with negative tactics and basically the standard of player isn’t wonderful either. Even a team like Aberdeen, capable of playing decent football, would rather come to ER and hack,dive and foul their way to a result, rather than win through being the more skilful team.

The malaise you describe isn’t unique to Hibs. I suppose it applies to all sides who lack talent and creativity. Many players take the easy option, often sideways to no discernible advantage. We’ve seen some decent play from Hibs over the past few years, but whatever you grew up with, to be fair, it hasn’t been the norm at ER for most of my time going to games, and I never started attending yesterday.

Springbank
22-07-2019, 09:52 PM

Because the OP has hit nail on head.

Not difficult for ph to rectify (intensity)

But to answer your question, it keeps occurring because we drew with Stirling when arbroath (ARBROATH) sconed them 6-1.

Need to win Tuesday. Until we do, questions are valid.
Big night tomorrow. Hope the intensity is there from the players and management.

Frazerbob
22-07-2019, 09:54 PM
Ffs

Sammy7nil
22-07-2019, 10:07 PM

Yes

Another positive thread

Ffs

It is a forum for discussion get over it. You don't have to comment :wink:

The 90+2
22-07-2019, 10:09 PM
It’s not just the OP but it’s far too early to be majorly concern.

Stuart93
22-07-2019, 10:13 PM

I was just wondering if my take on our playing style struck a chord with anyone else?

Well, fair enough mate

We can only hope it gets a bit better as players get up to speed and get fitter

I’d be worried if it was still like this in a few weeks/months time

Think patience is key, something we don’t seem to have much of as a fan base recently. It’s instant success or you’re a failure, as has been seen with some of the opinions of PH’s signings

hibbysam
22-07-2019, 10:53 PM
It depends, passing the ball across the back four when a team is sitting in is designed to entice the opposition out to try and press us so we can create space further forward. It all depends on whether or not they take the bait or not. It's not easy to play against two banks of 5 and it takes patience and looking for openings. It worked, we scored two in the second half when they tired and we never looked like losing the game. Our play will get sharper, quicker and we will score early in a lot of these games making it far easier. We've played two competitive games and already folk are up in arms about us.

hibbysam
22-07-2019, 10:55 PM
Because the OP has hit nail on head.

Not difficult for ph to rectify (intensity)

But to answer your question, it keeps occurring because we drew with Stirling when arbroath (ARBROATH) sconed them 6-1.

Need to win Tuesday. Until we do, questions are valid.
Big night tomorrow. Hope the intensity is there from the players and management.

I am going to hazard a huge guess in that Stirling's tactics against Hibs and Arbroath were completely different. They would've been far more open and left far more gaps.

Clarence
22-07-2019, 10:57 PM
As we say in Peru, keep your powder dry.

BigKev
22-07-2019, 11:14 PM
Another bombscare thread where the haters will hate.

We're not even in August yet, not played a league game but folk are slating the playing style through their amateur analysis.

This place is a disaster at times.

Frazerbob
22-07-2019, 11:26 PM
It is a forum for discussion get over it. You don't have to comment :wink:

Does that only go one way or am I allowed to comment ‘ffs’ as it’s a forum for discussion?

****ing sick of the doom and gloom from moaning faced *******s, desperate for the slightest reason to have a pop at the manager. It’s pathetic. Just my opinion mind, so I’m sure you’ll be able to get over it.

tonyrougier123
22-07-2019, 11:29 PM
Maybe sit tight realise it’s not even August and we’re still 2 weeks from the first league game before passing judgement? Like it or not touch, vision final ball etc all come with improved match sharpness when you’re in the groove game to game. If we’re lingering out of the hunt for Europe at Christmas then I’ll be worried
Season has started and supporters will discuss what they see.its early but the early signs are not good.lets see what tonight brings.hopefully a few goals and some nice play.but arbroath are no mug team just now.will be tough.

Forza Fred
22-07-2019, 11:57 PM

I think it’s a generational thing.

‘possession football’ in my memory wasn’t lauded until the very late 60’s when England employed it, and really came into vogue after Ajax’s ‘Total Football ‘ style.

I have posted before about passes nowadays being played straight to feet, whereas when I was growing up we were taught to pass the ball a yard in front of the player so he could run on to it.

I frequently think back to the Turnbull Tornadoes days, with Arthur Duncan running on to diagonal balls down the left and Mickey Edwards putting the ball through for Jimmy O’Rourke to run onto

I guess today’s game is like many of the ‘that’s progress’ things we see today😂

Mibbes Aye
22-07-2019, 11:59 PM

I think you are right, sorry, when you say you are not clued up on modern tactics.

Football is a percentage game at our level, and indeed above. There was a really good thread a year or two back about why corners were fired in low and hard and rarely beat the first man but explained perfectly why managers instructed their teams to do it.

Running at the opposition can be a game changer but most teams are set up to negate that. It might produce the occasional result but for the majority of the time, it is better knocking the ball around and pulling the opposition out of shape, to create gaps and overloads, that relying on an individual doing a mazy. If nothing else because the defence is drilled to provide cover and at some point the mazy dribbler, lets call him Merouane, will run out of space.

Players like Zemmama and Brandon Barker won’t flourish at the highest level because their gameplay isn’t sound. It’s funny because there were loads of folk on here desperate to retain Barker at the time but I’ve not seen his name mentioned in ages.

SingaporeHibs
23-07-2019, 12:11 AM
Hecky made it clear that he saw these games as competitive pre-season games that would give him a chance to continue switching players around to give game time to sharpen as many as possible. We haven’t seen the best 11 on the park at the same time and I believe that’s part of the pre-season plan. So not yet concerned yet..
That said, we have signed a lot of players from the English leagues and there is a huge difference to how they play the game vs what we are used to watching in Scotland. It’s slower in the build up, there is a lot of left to right and back again in England before they slowly move the ball forward. There is a danger these new players don’t adapt to the Scottish game quick enough or at all. That will be the acid test of these players.
With 2 games to play ahead of the league opener I would hope we will now see Heckys best starting 11 starting together. Give them a chance to gel before the St Mirren game.
So far, no harm done in his experiments to get everyone match fit. From here we really should start to see the team building some steam ahead of the league opener.
i’m Sure we all want to watch exciting play but here is a question - are we happy watching slightly less exciting but more methodical play if it means we win more matches? Let’s face it, watching Aberdeen come to ER has been pretty dull but they continue to outperform us. Are we willing to exchange some style for more points and finishing higher in the league?

DetroitHibs
23-07-2019, 12:21 AM
What I watched last season and this season under Hecky is pretty much the same. He likes to keep it tight for about an hour before opening it up. If it gets us wins, that’s good enough for me.

mjhibby
23-07-2019, 12:25 AM
Another bombscare thread where the haters will hate.

We're not even in August yet, not played a league game but folk are slating the playing style through their amateur analysis.

This place is a disaster at times.

I didn't realise so many folk were budding managers and have done all the coaching courses. So many folk thinks it's so easy. If it was we would all be coaching at a high level. Go figure

SquashedFrogg
23-07-2019, 06:40 AM

I think somewhere in here you've answered your own question.

JimBHibees
23-07-2019, 07:01 AM
Does that only go one way or am I allowed to comment ‘ffs’ as it’s a forum for discussion?

****ing sick of the doom and gloom from moaning faced *******s, desperate for the slightest reason to have a pop at the manager. It’s pathetic. Just my opinion mind, so I’m sure you’ll be able to get over it.

Kind of where I am. If going to criticise at least be realistic in terms of understanding the stage of the season, needing to get the squad up to speed while introducing a large number of new players and also playing league cup games. A difficult balancing act as has been proven with number of injuries also. A lot of moon howling going on. Patience, support and perspective required.

RIP
23-07-2019, 08:38 AM
I think somewhere in here you've answered your own question.

As I’ve never played nor coached, I’ve not got the technical insight into the modern game to be able to do that - hence the reason for starting a thread asking for others’ thoughts.

There’s some really good replies on tactics from fellow supporters who took the time to address the points raised and put forward different ideas on the modern game. I have four family members beside me in Section 43 who all have coaching badges so that’s four different opinions for me to reflect on during and after each game.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. Some others really need to calm the **** doon. It’s only a discussion board. As for the stage of the season, I get it. But if I was Paul I’d be setting out a playing style from the get go. Interesting that our first goal came Fraser Murray employing Route 1 and catching out the defence?

And it’s not just these pre-season games I’m referring to. The end of last season treated us to a similar tactical approach.

MikeyS
23-07-2019, 08:44 AM

Agree with your comment about it not even being August yet & needing the new players to bed in and get fit but the worrying thing for me is that we played out the season in exactly the same way. Absolutely mind numbingly boring apart from the game at Tynie. Livingston away being possibly the worst game of football I've seen in a long time.

Got a horrible feeling that this is just going to be PH's style.

HibeeHibernian4
23-07-2019, 08:48 AM
Don't think is something limited to Heckingbottom or Hibs (or indeed Scottish football).

A big part of the reason that I've stopped watching almost all other football nowadays is the boring, low-risk and pedestrian style of play that's crept in. The couple of EPL games I had the misfortune of watching this season saw Liverpool and Man City camped on the 18 yard line of a club like Burnley/Southampton, who just had their backs to the walls for 90 minutes and (ultimately) couldn't keep them out. A goal or two would win it.

The truth is, when a team sets up not to lose and stick nine or ten men behind the ball, it's quite difficult to break them down. It's why I've felt some of our best performances in recent years have been us hitting teams on the counter attack, especially utilising the pace of Boyle/Barker/Horgan.

Anyway, I think the OP is well within their rights to bring this point up. It was a very slow and dull affair in the first half against Alloa, which changed on the (well taken) Doidge goal. I don't see why other posters are getting quite so defensive/angry about it. It's a valid criticism and one that I hope Heckingbottom can seek to address ASAP.

Greenbeard
23-07-2019, 08:49 AM
Wee teams on the defensive often make for frustrating viewing. I'll wait and see how we fare with our tactics and playing style against the big teams - like Hamilton, St Mirren, Ross County.
Oh and er Arbroath. Banana skin territory this evening.
Now where's my half empty glass gone?

MWHIBBIES
23-07-2019, 08:59 AM
It went with McGeouch, he was the one who kept it moving.

Pedantic_Hibee
23-07-2019, 09:01 AM
IMO the paragraph about defending half is accurate and we are a bit too slow to feed the midfield, a reason I doubt we’ll see mcgregor much when porteous is fit.

The second paragraph again in my opinion is a nonsense. If there’s 6 defenders and your 25 yards from goal with them all between you then what chance do you have of running through them? So play it wide to stretch them we also now have an Ariel threat that with good delivery will score goals. Boyle and Horgan are also a lot of the time very direct when on the ball especially Boyle and the likes of Scott Allan will look to play a killer pass when possible.

We can’t have an Ariel threat if you think we will be benching Daz.

Keith_M
23-07-2019, 09:03 AM

If the players continue to play this way, then people will actually stop paying their money to watch it. The consequences of that would be vastly reduced attendances and no money to compete for a European place.

And to answer the OP; No, it isn't just you. All we can do just now is to keep our fingers crossed that this is not how Heckingbottom wants his team to play and will sort it out by the time the league season starts in earnest.

He had a very good start to his tenure at Hibs (in terms of results) including beating Hearts at Tynecastle for the first time in years. We just weren't good enough to beat the top four sides.

blackpoolhibs
23-07-2019, 09:04 AM
We desperately need better defenders who are more comfortable on the ball, now i know thats not going to happen.

So we need porteous back soon, and need to move the ball quicker along the back so we are working the opposition more, as we have become easy to defend against and not just under PH.

We have some very good players further up the park, Boyle, Mallan and Allan can both create and score more than most, but we do have to get the bloody ball to them quicker and in places where they can do their stuff, but we dont do this quickly enough for me.

Hibernian32
23-07-2019, 09:04 AM
There has been a few times where we've just cried our for Efe to make a run and then play a simple forward pass. I think it's happening more often because we dont have a ball playing CB atm.

I for one feel once the ball is played out wide the only option should be get forward as quick as possible, beat your man or play a give and go. It all comes down to who receives the ball out wide to often they just play it straight back to the CB or switch it over the other flank.

Hibbyradge
23-07-2019, 09:20 AM

Omo God. Not the puns again!

Keith_M
23-07-2019, 09:23 AM

Time for an Ajax style of football.

Wakeyhibee
23-07-2019, 09:28 AM
Time for an Ajax style of football.

Or a Marco Vim Basten style of player

Barman Stanton
23-07-2019, 09:30 AM
There has been a few times where we've just cried our for Efe to make a run and then play a simple forward pass. I think it's happening more often because we dont have a ball playing CB atm.

I for one feel once the ball is played out wide the only option should be get forward as quick as possible, beat your man or play a give and go. It all comes down to who receives the ball out wide to often they just play it straight back to the CB or switch it over the other flank.

And yet there are experts on here who wouldnt want Efe back!

One Day Soon
23-07-2019, 09:32 AM
If the players continue to play this way, then people will actually stop paying their money to watch it. The consequences of that would be vastly reduced attendances and no money to compete for a European place.

And to answer the OP; No, it isn't just you. All we can do just now is to keep our fingers crossed that this is not how Heckingbottom wants his team to play and will sort it out by the time the league season starts in earnest.

He had a very good start to his tenure at Hibs (in terms of results) including beating Hearts at Tynecastle for the first time in years. We just weren't good enough to beat the top four sides.

The jury is definitely still out on PH because his record in the relatively short time he had last season was mixed, so this season is a far fairer test. With the level of player turnover and his public comments on the business done he hasn't left himself much hiding space should results be poor. I think a number of posters were anxious to laud him last season simply because he wasn't Lennon and that was patently daft - more reflective of their own views on Lennon than anything else - but now is where we really find out what style of play he is going to deliver, whether he can do it consistently against the clubs we should be competing with and whether he has an eye for and can motivate players.

I'm expecting top six this season and not much more. Any manager needs a number of windows to get the squad where they want it to be and if there's progress visible on the field in terms of playing style I'll live with that.

Hibbyradge
23-07-2019, 09:33 AM
Or a Marco Vim Basten style of player

Did you Surf the internet for that one?

Hibbyradge
23-07-2019, 09:47 AM
The jury is definitely still out on PH because his record in the relatively short time he had last season was mixed, so this season is a far fairer test. With the level of player turnover and his public comments on the business done he hasn't left himself much hiding space should results be poor. I think a number of posters were anxious to laud him last season simply because he wasn't Lennon and that was patently daft - more reflective of their own views on Lennon than anything else - but now is where we really find out what style of play he is going to deliver, whether he can do it consistently against the clubs we should be competing with and whether he has an eye for and can motivate players.

I'm expecting top six this season and not much more. Any manager needs a number of windows to get the squad where they want it to be and if there's progress visible on the field in terms of playing style I'll live with that.

I'm hopeful of a decent season rather than confident.

That's partly based on his mixed record to date, but also because of comments made by a friend of mine in York.

He's a Leeds United supporter and when I told him that we had appointed the Heck, he said "Good luck with that!"

When pressed he said that his Leeds team didn't seem to have any shape or balance, and that the style of football was exceedingly dull.

I'll make my own mind up as the season progresses, but I have concerns.

A convincing win and performance tonight would go some way to dispelling my, and others', anxieties.

SideBurns
23-07-2019, 10:07 AM
We desperately need better defenders who are more comfortable on the ball, now i know thats not going to happen.

So we need porteous back soon, and need to move the ball quicker along the back so we are working the opposition more, as we have become easy to defend against and not just under PH.

We have some very good players further up the park, Boyle, Mallan and Allan can both create and score more than most, but we do have to get the bloody ball to them quicker and in places where they can do their stuff, but we dont do this quickly enough for me.

While I agree with you that we could do with Porteous back, we've played a lot of great fitba in the last few seasons with Gray, Stevenson, Hanlon & McGregor in defence. Daz is probably the least comfortable with the ball at his feet out of those four, but we managed to build from the back in seasons gone by before Porteous arrived on the scene (the same goes for Ambrose).

I just think we had better midfielders previously (obviously Allan is now back, which will help).

ArmadaleHibs
23-07-2019, 10:24 AM
You can please some of the fans all the time, you can please all of the fans some of the time, but you can’t please all of the fans all of the time

GGTTH

DTS
23-07-2019, 02:28 PM

You don’t think our 6ft plus striker hasn’t been brought in to be a threat from crosses from wide players playing in a 4-3-3 ?

Stuart93
23-07-2019, 02:31 PM
You don’t think our 6ft plus striker hasn’t been brought in to be a threat from crosses from wide players playing in a 4-3-3 ?

Whoosh

DTS
23-07-2019, 02:32 PM
From what the managers said and the pre season/ league cup games. I think we will definitely see 4-3-3 with wingers high and wide it’s what we’ve started with every game bar Alloa at home where we tried 4-4-2 first half failed and changed back to 4-3-3.

I think the idea will be to get the ball into the midfield quickly(albeit not been good enough at this to date) to Allan/mallan get it wide hopefully get Boyle and Horgan directly against a full back and either take them or get a ball in the box for doidge to attack. I also noticed at the weekend the winger without the ball and CM’s especially Allan and Murray were always in or around the box when it was wider

MWHIBBIES
23-07-2019, 02:36 PM
While I agree with you that we could do with Porteous back, we've played a lot of great fitba in the last few seasons with Gray, Stevenson, Hanlon & McGregor in defence. Daz is probably the least comfortable with the ball at his feet out of those four, but we managed to build from the back in seasons gone by before Porteous arrived on the scene (the same goes for Ambrose).

I just think we had better midfielders previously (obviously Allan is now back, which will help).

This is it. Its not the defenders faults, is midfielders unable to take it and move it forward properly.

Iggy Pope
23-07-2019, 02:42 PM

Is this another pun? I don’t get it.

Tug Wilson
23-07-2019, 03:17 PM
I think that the OP has a fair point about the team just knocking the ball around in front of the opposition defence with no real penetration or cutting edge.

However, we had this issue long before Heckingbottom. Stubbs' Championship spend many a game knocking the ball from side to side yet achieving very little.

Many of the opposition were happy to sit in and soak this up. And Stirling Albion and Alloa have been the same.

Even Premier League sides will play this way against us especially when we are the home team.

The challenge for Hibs management and players will be to break them down.

cmcd
23-07-2019, 03:34 PM

Couldnt agree more

mjhibby
23-07-2019, 04:13 PM

My take on things too. It had been getting gradually worse and the coaches constantly talk of stopping the opposition. I suppose you can only work with the players you have but Ian McCall and jack Ross howed you can win with football that's good to watch. As for not beating top four sides. Hecky inherited a team on a very poor run and did a very good job. Not having boyle available was a big blow and once he and Horgan are up to speed beside Allan I think you'll see us passing quicker. We are basically still in preseason fitness wise so I'm not as concerned as others. We are one striker away from competing for Europe. Imho of course.

Brightside
23-07-2019, 04:21 PM
From what the managers said and the pre season/ league cup games. I think we will definitely see 4-3-3 with wingers high and wide it’s what we’ve started with every game bar Alloa at home where we tried 4-4-2 first half failed and changed back to 4-3-3.

I think the idea will be to get the ball into the midfield quickly(albeit not been good enough at this to date) to Allan/mallan get it wide hopefully get Boyle and Horgan directly against a full back and either take them or get a ball in the box for doidge to attack. I also noticed at the weekend the winger without the ball and CM’s especially Allan and Murray were always in or around the box when it was wider

If our wide players would cross the ball with more purpose, or get to the byline and cut back we would be winning these games as a canter. There is no issue with systems....just rusty players.

Stonewall
23-07-2019, 04:26 PM

Thank you for this. My thoughts exactly.

Eyrie
23-07-2019, 05:47 PM
Sure we all want to watch exciting play but here is a question - are we happy watching slightly less exciting but more methodical play if it means we win more matches? Let’s face it, watching Aberdeen come to ER has been pretty dull but they continue to outperform us. Are we willing to exchange some style for more points and finishing higher in the league?

My answer to that depends on whether I'm at the game or not.

Away matches and home games that I miss, I want the three points.

Games I'm at, I want to enjoy our football.

RIP
23-07-2019, 08:26 PM
****ing sick of the doom and gloom from moaning faced *******s, desperate for the slightest reason to have a pop at the manager. It’s pathetic.

Frazer. Serious question in peace.

Have you actually read the question on tactics and the many erudite responses from Hibs.Net regulars? How many of them would you say are ‘doom and gloom moaning faced ***** desperate to take a pop at the Manager’?

For me, the posts appear both thoughtful and balanced with a few cheerful and cheeky interjections to lighten the mood. 😀👍

loanheadhibby
23-07-2019, 08:41 PM

Eh? Because it's a forum for giving opinions?

SquashedFrogg
23-07-2019, 08:43 PM
Eh? Because it's a forum for giving opinions?

Yeh..... but some opinions are unfounded and often quite embarrassing.

Donald Trump has opinions.

Diclonius
23-07-2019, 08:50 PM

What did you think of tonight?

SquashedFrogg
23-07-2019, 08:51 PM

Great question 👍

loanheadhibby
23-07-2019, 08:55 PM
Yeh..... but some opinions are unfounded and often quite embarrassing.

Donald Trump has opinions.

And surely he is allowed to express them or are we only allowed certain opinions?

SquashedFrogg
23-07-2019, 09:02 PM
And surely he is allowed to express them or are we only allowed certain opinions?

Excluding racism, sexism etc then yes, I suppose. I'm just not convinced using the term 'opinion' allows people to say anything they like.

Hitler expressed his opinions too btw. But free speech and all that.

Anyway, well played tonight by the boys. Coming along nicely for the new season.

Sammy7nil
23-07-2019, 09:50 PM
Excluding racism, sexism etc then yes, I suppose. I'm just not convinced using the term 'opinion' allows people to say anything they like.

Anyway, well played tonight by the boys. Coming along nicely for the new season.

FFS he did a little more than that.

Scouse Hibee
24-07-2019, 05:03 PM

Probably like most of us he thought it was a huge improvement on the piss poor performance we watched on Saturday and is far happier.

Kato
24-07-2019, 05:09 PM

Some opinions are informed, some opinions become peer tested fact and some opinions are "jumped to" based on not very much at all.

24-07-2019, 10:17 PM

Godwin's law alert.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law