PDA

View Full Version : Heck says he's happy and his transfer business is done ......

basehibby
21-07-2019, 11:18 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49046835

Re transfers - In the above linked interview Heckingbottom states that "We're done, unless something unforeseen happens."

REALLY?!? Having been along and watched on Saturday I would not hold out much hope of finishing any higher than we did last year with the current squad. And, considering the recent takeover and resultant cash injection to the club - and what has been stated by the new owner to be the objectives of the club, this seems on the face of it to be lacking ambition.

We should be shooting for third place this season - no less - and to have any realistic chance of achieving that we will need more quality in the squad than we currently have. Is Heck serious about being happy with what he's got or just (as I hope he is) playing mind games with prospective clubs and agents who we might end up dealing with towards the end of the window?

Since452
21-07-2019, 11:24 AM
I think it'll be a slow upwards trajectory rather than an overnight thing with the new owner. Nothing has changed budget wise this season and we've already spent big and were willing to again with Ojo. Still too early to judge for me. This time next week it'll look better with another two wins under our belt and the new players having more time to gell. Remember we've still got a few key players missing. It'll be fine.

Cataplana
21-07-2019, 11:30 AM
I think the word "unforseen" might be significant. Perhaps an unforeseen drop in somebody's term, or an unforeseen offer for a player, such as Kamberi.

Over a month till the window closes.

SlickShoes
21-07-2019, 11:31 AM
Having a few hundred pounds a week extra to spend on a per player basis doesnt really get you any different players, not sure what people were expecting.

I’ll wait and see what happens, I highly doubt we will sign no other players.

Michael
21-07-2019, 11:34 AM
Don't like being negative this early, but I can't see us finishing above 6th to be honest. I think this will be a bit like a Fenlon/Williamson season.

Vini1875
21-07-2019, 11:39 AM
What else can he say? He has to boost the players that are here and give the impression of a happy club at least publicly. I would not be surprised if out of the blue a couple of loan players arrive and money is suddenly found down the back of a couch. There is a lot of negativity around the current squad, but to me it looks like in these league cup games PH has been messing about with ideas, testing what works and what won't. His best 11 has yet to be found, but he will know it by the start of the league season.

Ron Gordon just put millions into Hibs, but the fans want millions more, myself incuded. I am guessing that for RG this is a long term project and he will have to get up to speed as far as how competitive we are on the current budget and then we will see if he has any real ambition for us.

Baldy Foghorn
21-07-2019, 12:01 PM
Still think we need another striker, maybe if the reported bid for Kamberi comes in, we will be in a position to buy two?

However, I don't think for a minute we are finished yet.

craigiehibs
21-07-2019, 12:19 PM
Having a few hundred pounds a week extra to spend on a per player basis doesnt really get you any different players, not sure what people were expecting.

not sure agree with first view - an extra 10k or so pw as a result of no debt would make a massive diffence to the the part of the barrel we can fish in? like others i think heckys comments are no more than a smokescreen - if he says we are short all that does is put prospective cost up by the law of supply and demand

matty_f
21-07-2019, 12:28 PM
Still think we need another striker, maybe if the reported bid for Kamberi comes in, we will be in a position to buy two?

I think we’ll definitely add more, and i think we still need to.

Tug Wilson
21-07-2019, 12:35 PM
The English Premier League and Championship close their transfer window on 8th August.

They can sell or loan players to English League 1 and 2 clubs or countries outside England whose windows are still open (eg Scotland).

Therefore the landscape will change just before and definitely after that date.

If Kamberi hasn't gone by then I would doubt he will this window.

However, players like McNulty who are not required by their current club will become more available to Scottish clubs.

So when Heckingbottom says he is content with squad as is and really think he is saying nothing in the pipeline just now.

A lot can happen over the next few weeks.

The Leith Dutch
21-07-2019, 01:15 PM

This is very much where I'm at - the new owner hasn't really changed anything on the football side in terms of spending power.
Not a gripe - I think he'd be mental to do so as chucking money at wages is a mugs game.

Numbers wise it's about right though - probably missing some but:
(GK) Laidlaw, Bogdan
(DF) Spector, Nelom
(MF) Bartley, Milligan, Birgirmana
(FW) Agyepong

(GK) Maxwell
(DF) James, Jackson
(MF) Vela
(FW) Allan, Doidge, Newell

One down which is probably a midfielder if you look at the breakdown.

To change the pool we're fishing in requires something in the range of bumping our wage bracket up around 3-5k pw across the board in that you have to have the top earners pushing towards the 10k bracket and bringing the rest of the earners with them to avoid dressing room discontent and ensure you don't have a couple of stars surrounded by players not good enough to get on their wavelength.

That requires something like 3 - 5m onto turnover to sustain and that I suspect is what the new owner will be looking at.
For me it's the only path to 3rd.

In case anyone leaps in I'm not saying we've spent the budget we have wisely player wise - jury will be out on that for a bit I suspect - but it's totally in line with numbers I'd expect in the squad and money I'd expect us to spend.

IWasThere2016
21-07-2019, 01:35 PM

Yup agree with this and what Matty said.

I think Flo will go and we will still add two after that.

Springbank
21-07-2019, 01:41 PM
The worry is that defeat to arbroath (and exit from the cup) is an unforeseen.

New players or old, it doesnt matter - if the levels of power pace & application are second best we could tumble out the league cup in July.

Tuesday is massive - hope for a win and some breathing space for PH but he needs a win on Tuesday.

horseflesh
21-07-2019, 01:41 PM
I’m sure the new owner said there would be no change to the player budget? Not sure he could have been any clearer?
Think our budget is fairly healthy at the moment compared to years gone by, having said that i still feel we are a forward light

21-07-2019, 01:42 PM
Yup agree with this and what Matty said.

I think Flo will go and we will still add two after that.

I like Flo but if he left for £2m and we brought in Cummings plus McNulty and Omeonga (even just on loans) I'd be very happy. I'd be happy with 2 out of 3 of them.

The 90+2
21-07-2019, 01:48 PM
I think Kamberi will be off, Shaw on loan as will Rocky and (or) Slivka. That would give us space to manoeuvre in the market.

A Hi-Bee
21-07-2019, 01:51 PM
I think Kamberi will be off, Shaw on loan as will Rocky and (or) Slivka. That would give us space to manoeuvre in the market.

To buy what? more or less of the same, that team yesterday wiz pretty pish.

Iggy Pope
21-07-2019, 01:56 PM

We’d need to manoeuvre 4 like for like replacement players in quickly. And maybe more.

where'stheslope
21-07-2019, 02:01 PM
What else can he say? He has to boost the players that are here and give the impression of a happy club at least publicly. I would not be surprised if out of the blue a couple of loan players arrive and money is suddenly found down the back of a couch. There is a lot of negativity around the current squad, but to me it looks like in these league cup games PH has been messing about with ideas, testing what works and what won't. His best 11 has yet to be found, but he will know it by the start of the league season.

Ron Gordon just put millions into Hibs, but the fans want millions more, myself incuded. I am guessing that for RG this is a long term project and he will have to get up to speed as far as how competitive we are on the current budget and then we will see if he has any real ambition for us.
Remember we are not paying STF now, so we should accumulate some funds before the winter transfer window!
No one in their right mind is going to throw millions into a one horse race, if we do build gradually it makes for a better future!!!!

Steve20
21-07-2019, 02:08 PM
If that’s us finished, then it’s going to be a long season. Team isn’t good enough. Fair enough it’s not helped by the eye bleeding style of play and baffling tactics.

Also, if our budget isn’t changing and we’re not spending anymore on players, why was there the over the top celebrations to getting a new owner. Does it matter if it’s him or Farmer if the budget is the same and the level of player is the same? Nope. There’s even a thread claiming Kickback is in meltdown. Why would they be if them and Aberdeen are still paying more than us for players?

We are 5th or 6th this season. And that’s at the very best.

The Modfather
21-07-2019, 02:15 PM
Think folk see what they want to in terms of what managers say this time of year. I remember Lennon saying something like we weren’t in talks with McLaren, low and behold he signed soon after.

It’s all horse trading, very rarely do managers tell the whole truth in regards to transfers.

Here’s Lucy!
21-07-2019, 02:24 PM

In my opinion, if Kamberi goes (I think you’re right, he will do) we will not get a replacement who is nearly so good.

The season is going to be tough enough without losing, what I consider to be, one of our best players.

Hermit Crab
21-07-2019, 02:27 PM
If PH doesn't bring in 2-3 more he'll be away by xmas. We are not done and imo he's only saying this because he went public with the Ojo deal and got his fingers burnt when Aberdeen nipped in ahead of us.

The 90+2
21-07-2019, 02:35 PM
In my opinion, if Kamberi goes (I think you’re right, he will do) we will not get a replacement who is nearly so good.

The season is going to be tough enough without losing, what I consider to be, one of our best players.

I don’t think the replacement will be as good either. I’ve nothing but just a feeling they will go either. I don’t think the Preston goalie is here to sit on the bench either.

basehibby
21-07-2019, 02:41 PM

The budget is 500K a year better off post Gordon takeover - that would equate to something like a 12.5% increase to the wage budget. I know this will not propel the club into a different market altogether, but to argue it's insignificant simply does not hold any water at all. And that's completely ignoring the reported seven figure sum which has been injected into the club with immediate effect.

Like yourself I highly doubt we will sign no other players - but regardless of any increase in available funds we still need to play hardball and jealously guard every penny - which is why I believe Heck's pronouncement to be something of a poker like bluff - a tactic which I would be fully in support of.

SquashedFrogg
21-07-2019, 02:53 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49046835

Re transfers - In the above linked interview Heckingbottom states that "We're done, unless something unforeseen happens."

REALLY?!? Having been along and watched on Saturday I would not hold out much hope of finishing any higher than we did last year with the current squad. And, considering the recent takeover and resultant cash injection to the club - and what has been stated by the new owner to be the objectives of the club, this seems on the face of it to be lacking ambition.

We should be shooting for third place this season - no less - and to have any realistic chance of achieving that we will need more quality in the squad than we currently have. Is Heck serious about being happy with what he's got or just (as I hope he is) playing mind games with prospective clubs and agents who we might end up dealing with towards the end of the window?

I'm sure most people take quotes from managers during the transfer window with pinch of salt.

Relax.

Keith_M
21-07-2019, 02:53 PM
He's at it.

Griffiths is going to be announced on Tuesday

SouthMoroccoStu
21-07-2019, 02:58 PM
He's at it.

Griffiths is goung to be announced on Tuesday

Brave man

The_Horde
21-07-2019, 02:59 PM
He's at it.

Why Tuesday?

Here’s Lucy!
21-07-2019, 02:59 PM
He's at it.

Tease. :na na:

Here’s Lucy!
21-07-2019, 03:01 PM
Why Tuesday?

It’s Keith’s birthday, he wants a good present. :greengrin

truehibernian
21-07-2019, 03:01 PM
Does anyone seriously believe we would play a trialist (Jonny Smith), someone who played a stack of games for a promoted League 2 side last season, as a 'favour to a mate' - and then say we are done in the market :cb

Not in a million years......we'll add a couple more at least.

lord bunberry
21-07-2019, 03:03 PM
Think folk see what they want to in terms of what managers say this time of year. I remember Lennon saying something like we weren’t in talks with McLaren, low and behold he signed soon after.

It’s all horse trading, very rarely do managers tell the whole truth in regards to transfers.
Exactly. Managers talk a lot of **** at this time of year. What they’re saying in public is often to either deflect from a deal they’re doing or trying to make a deal happen, it’s best ignored.

Keith_M
21-07-2019, 03:04 PM
It’s Keith’s birthday, he wants a good present. :greengrin

How did you know that?

You've been spying on me...

Here’s Lucy!
21-07-2019, 03:22 PM
How did you know that?

You've been spying on me...

i’ve been playing keekaboo.

:wink:

Tug Wilson
21-07-2019, 03:27 PM

Very rarely are transfer dealings done in public. Especially by Hibs. The only transfer carried out in the public domain was the Ojo one and it went tits up.

Heckingbottom giving nothing away.

I very much doubt that the recruitment team have downed tools for the summer.

04Sauzee
21-07-2019, 03:46 PM
He's at it.

Griffiths is going to be announced on Tuesday

You feeling alright 😂

Keith_M
21-07-2019, 04:00 PM
You feeling alright 😂

Perfectly fine, thanks.

Hibs have just agreed a price...

...with Accrington Stanley to sign Duncan Griffiths as our new number 9.

😝

Onion
21-07-2019, 04:32 PM
Don't like being negative this early, but I can't see us finishing above 6th to be honest. I think this will be a bit like a Fenlon/Williamson season.

Well that would amount to abject failure. Hecky has a clear line of sight to what's needed to win up here, supported with great ST numbers and a new owner. No excuses needed from Hecky.

Deansy
21-07-2019, 04:32 PM
I sincerely hope that PH isn't finished with signings - surely he's going to at least try and get Omeonga back ?

Wakeyhibee
21-07-2019, 05:11 PM
If we were still in for Mcnulty and Omeonga last week, then it's stands to reason there's some money in the budget to play with. I would think this isn't a small amount either. Vela in might mean we're still 1 to go.

Arch Stanton
21-07-2019, 05:45 PM
Heck saying he is happy with the squad as it is, is a bit like Boris saying he is happy with 'no deal Brexit'.

Except, being an *rshole, Boris probably is.

Lancs Harp
21-07-2019, 05:47 PM
Im hoping and still believing we will be bringing at least one quality loan signing.

ekhibee
21-07-2019, 05:53 PM
This is very much where I'm at - the new owner hasn't really changed anything on the football side in terms of spending power.
Not a gripe - I think he'd be mental to do so as chucking money at wages is a mugs game.

Numbers wise it's about right though - probably missing some but:
(GK) Laidlaw, Bogdan
(DF) Spector, Nelom
(MF) Bartley, Milligan, Birgirmana
(FW) Agyepong

(GK) Maxwell
(DF) James, Jackson
(MF) Vela
(FW) Allan, Doidge, Newell

One down which is probably a midfielder if you look at the breakdown.

To change the pool we're fishing in requires something in the range of bumping our wage bracket up around 3-5k pw across the board in that you have to have the top earners pushing towards the 10k bracket and bringing the rest of the earners with them to avoid dressing room discontent and ensure you don't have a couple of stars surrounded by players not good enough to get on their wavelength.

That requires something like 3 - 5m onto turnover to sustain and that I suspect is what the new owner will be looking at.
For me it's the only path to 3rd.

In case anyone leaps in I'm not saying we've spent the budget we have wisely player wise - jury will be out on that for a bit I suspect - but it's totally in line with numbers I'd expect in the squad and money I'd expect us to spend.

I certainly agree with your last 3 paragraphs, but remember, some of the players you quoted from last season weren't paid by us, and it's possible Heckingbottom's been told this is the budget and you ain't getting anymore this season. Maybe that conversation happened before RG came in, who knows? Unlike a lot of people on this forum I see nothing at all wrong with paying higher wages if it means getting a better player. Some would say it's a gamble, but I would say it's just as much of a gamble as buying players from Forest Green, Yeovil, Bolton and Rotherham and giving them 2 and 3 year contracts and they all turn out to be *****. All about opinions I suppose.

hibbyfraelibby
21-07-2019, 06:03 PM

Not going to happen

1. If Rocky was going then better than Maxwell would have been signed by now and big Kevin wouldn't be on loan

2. Slivka will stay and play once his injury is cleared up and he's up to speed.

3. Flo is going nowhere not this window. If he was McNulty would have been signed by now and we would still ve looking for a plus 1

4. Oli Shaw is not going on loan, especially not to accomodate yesterday's man' return.

5. Omeonga is outwith budget. Live with it.

6. Come the closure of the EPL window high profile loans will be available to plug any unforeseen gaps in the squad.

7. Dev team players will increasingly develop into 1st squad players

The 90+2
21-07-2019, 06:07 PM
Not going to happen

1. If Rocky was going then better than Maxwell would have been signed by now and big Kevin wouldn't be on loan

Why would Maxwell swap the bench of Preston for here? Rocky wants to test himself at higher level and possibly get his old club some money back for him with their percentage fee.

2. Slivka will stay and play once his injury is cleared up and he's up to speed.

Possibly, I don’t think he’s rated that much.

3. Flo is going nowhere not this window. If he was McNulty would have been signed by now and we would still ve looking for a plus 1

Flo will go if there’s an acceptable offer that comes in for him, there’s plenty time for that to happen still.

4. Oli Shaw is not going on loan, especially not to accomodate yesterday's man' return.
Not what I’ve heard 👍
5. Omeonga is outwith budget. Live with it.

Who mentioned Omeonga?

6. Come the closure of the EPL window high profile loans will be available to plug any unforeseen gaps in the squad.

We’re now hoping for the best of EPL loans that might come up to fill the squad? They same loanees can go to EFL 1 or 2 also. We need players to enhance the first team, not stop gaps for positions short on.

7. Dev team players will increasingly develop into 1st squad players
Hope so.

👍

JimBHibees
21-07-2019, 06:21 PM

Absolutely this it happens every year and should be no surprise to anyone. No way are we finished imo.

Sammy7nil
21-07-2019, 06:22 PM
I like Flo but if he left for £2m and we brought in Cummings plus McNulty and Omeonga (even just on loans) I'd be very happy. I'd be happy with 2 out of 3 of them.

If Flo left for two million someone has been taken for a ride :agree:

Lancs Harp
21-07-2019, 06:27 PM
Flo is going nowhere on what he produced last season. His initial period with us was excellent but I was hugely disappointed with him last season. He obviously had problems with NL and he picked up a little after Heckys appointment but he's got a point a prove for me.

Keith_M
22-07-2019, 08:47 AM
Flo is going nowhere on what he produced last season. His initial period with us was excellent but I was hugely disappointed with him last season. He obviously had problems with NL and he picked up a little after Heckys appointment but he's got a point a prove for me.

It's entirely possible that Flo has done what a number of players have over the ears, and had one very good spell with us that might never be repeated.

His report card for the total time spent playing for Hibs would include the word "mediocre", and I can't see many clubs being desperate to sign him just now.